PDA

View Full Version : NHC For the Oldies to Reminisce

Greenbeard
22-11-2018, 09:03 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46194250

Bangkok Hibby
22-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the link, I always like to see old photos of Edinburgh buses and trams. My Dad worked on them immediately after the war right up until he retired.

One Day Soon
22-11-2018, 09:49 AM

These are wonderful. I won't be missing that exhibition.

HiBremian
22-11-2018, 09:54 AM

When I wis a wee scruffy laddie....

Thanks for the heads up. Be back home for Burns Night, will make sure to see this.

pollution
22-11-2018, 11:22 AM
I have seen these before, at least two of them.

It takes some nerve to point a camera at an Edinburgh lady buying her chicken at the West End. Campbells shop perhaps? William Street.

The policeman looks as if he could thump him.

I think the photos are well composed but rather meddlesome.

theonlywayisup
22-11-2018, 11:57 AM

The thing I thought about it when I read the article earlier was "knitted jumpers". My mum was a keen knitter and it was common place for use to get a jumper knitted for us. Some wacky designs too!!

heretoday
22-11-2018, 12:03 PM
I'll go to that. The City Art Centre has some brilliant exhibitions. :aok:

Greenbeard
22-11-2018, 12:54 PM
I have seen these before, at least two of them.

It takes some nerve to point a camera at an Edinburgh lady buying her chicken at the West End. Campbells shop perhaps? William Street.

The policeman looks as if he could thump him.

I think the photos are well composed but rather meddlesome.
Don't they have to be, to a certain degree, if they are to capture an impromptu real-life moment rather than a staged pose?
Presumably the photographer had his PVG and obtained written consent from the subjects, or their parent if a minor, agreeing to the images being published and waiving their image rights in perpetuity.

Lago
22-11-2018, 01:11 PM
You beat me to it, was going to post about this as well to ask if anyone recognised any of the people photographed.

h185forever
22-11-2018, 01:13 PM
My older sister is the wee lassie in the ninth picture, with the young lad, which was taken at the foot of Arthur St.

Going to see the Exhibition too, wonderful memories.

lord bunberry
22-11-2018, 01:42 PM
I’ll definitely go and see that. I love seeing these old pictures of Edinburgh.

where'stheslope
22-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Loved the old photos, the one with the boy sitting on the cannon reminded me, playing soldiers inside the castle with the mates, then down to the High Hills behind the Ross Bandstand for a game of best man's fall!!!
Even, surfing down the High Hills on cardboard boxes we got from the wallpaper shop in Spittal Street, great memories!!!

Here’s Lucy!
22-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Old pictures of Edinburgh have long been a favourite thing for me.

Thanks for starting the thread!!

CropleyWasGod
22-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Loved the old photos, the one with the boy sitting on the cannon reminded me, playing soldiers inside the castle with the mates, then down to the High Hills behind the Ross Bandstand for a game of best man's fall!!!
Even, surfing down the High Hills on cardboard boxes we got from the wallpaper shop in Spittal Street, great memories!!!

I'm still not convinced that's not me. :greengrin

Peevemor
22-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Here's a link I posted a couple of years ago. There are some fantastic old photos of Leith.

http://images.is.ed.ac.uk/ll/thumbnailView.html?startUrl=%2F%2Fimages.is.ed.ac. uk%2Fluna%2Fservlet%2Fas%2Fsearch%3Fos%3D0%26q%3DC oll-1583%26bs%3D10

CentreLine
22-11-2018, 07:26 PM

Aw you just brought back great memories for my wife. She came from the West Port and “the high hills” was her playground too. Recognised herself and her brothers in every word of your post.

Lago
22-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Here's a link I posted a couple of years ago. There are some fantastic old photos of Leith.

http://images.is.ed.ac.uk/ll/thumbnailView.html?startUrl=%2F%2Fimages.is.ed.ac. uk%2Fluna%2Fservlet%2Fas%2Fsearch%3Fos%3D0%26q%3DC oll-1583%26bs%3D10

Lovely, fantastic you just gaze at them & you go back in time.
Thanks

lapsedhibee
22-11-2018, 08:53 PM

Questions: What colour is the wood painted in the window frames in these pictures, and when did the fashion in Edinburgh change to white for window frames?

Peevemor
22-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Questions: What colour is the wood painted in the window frames in these pictures, and when did the fashion in Edinburgh change to white for window frames?I had a pub conversation about this years ago. Green and brown were fairly common window colours, but off-white was always widely used. As for the change to white? We reckoned that the planning department had an influence on the Georgian listed buildings in the new town, but more so the grant aided common repair schemes that really kicked off when? The late 70s?

Joe6-2
22-11-2018, 10:06 PM
These photos really take me back, not just different times but a different world

The Harp
22-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Will definitely be going to see this exhibition at the City Art Centre. Bound to bring back some memories.
Think the wallpaper shop you mentioned was called Shillinglaw's. Can remember going there wi' my Dad when we lived in Grove Street.

lapsedhibee
23-11-2018, 09:00 AM
I had a pub conversation about this years ago. Green and brown were fairly common window colours, but off-white was always widely used. As for the change to white? We reckoned that the planning department had an influence on the Georgian listed buildings in the new town, but more so the grant aided common repair schemes that really kicked off when? The late 70s?

:aok:

where'stheslope
23-11-2018, 10:13 AM
Will definitely be going to see this exhibition at the City Art Centre. Bound to bring back some memories.
Think the wallpaper shop you mentioned was called Shillinglaw's. Can remember going there wi' my Dad when we lived in Grove Street.
One of my pals lived in Grove street John King, do you remember him?

JeMeSouviens
23-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Aside from the local interest, these are great photos. I'll need to get to this exhibition, thanks for posting.

You'd have serious child protection questions to answer taking them now, mind you.

Keith_M
23-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Fantastic photos. The Missus has decided to go and see them in person.

The Harp
23-11-2018, 12:12 PM
One of my pals lived in Grove street John King, do you remember him?

It was a long time ago so not too sure, the name rings a bell though.

where'stheslope
23-11-2018, 05:53 PM
It was a long time ago so not too sure, the name rings a bell though.
He stayed at the bottom part on the other side of the road from Bilsland baker which became Marco's, his younger brother Willie was asked to sign for Rangers but turned them down as he would have to get his hair cut.
Another school pal from Tollcross Primary was Davie Hill, he stayed at the house right next to the railway bridge on Grove Street.
I also used to help collect the store horse for my milk round from Upper Grove Place.

PatHead
23-11-2018, 06:37 PM
He stayed at the bottom part on the other side of the road from Bilsland baker which became Marco's, his younger brother Willie was asked to sign for Rangers but turned them down as he would have to get his hair cut.
Another school pal from Tollcross Primary was Davie Hill, he stayed at the house right next to the railway bridge on Grove Street.
I also used to help collect the store horse for my milk round from Upper Grove Place.

Rangers would have loved a Willie King!

son of haggart
23-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Fantastic pictures - thanks for the link.

Sitting on the guns brings back memories (my granddad worked at the castle at the army museum bit in the late 60s / early 70s) as do the wooly jumpers - I used to dread watching my mum flicking through the patterns....

WoreTheGreen
23-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Off topic a bit but did anyone get threatened “your going to doctors Guthries” jaggy jumpers

Hibernia&Alba
23-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Superb stuff. The photos of the kids, smiling and playing through hard times, are always especially poignant.

The Harp
23-11-2018, 08:10 PM

I remember two brothers who lived at Grove Terrace, just past the bridge, only knew them to nod to though, not sure of names. I lived on the opposite side of the street from Martin's the bakers. Left there in '71 when I got hitched.