PDA

View Full Version : Famous landmarks that can be seen from football grounds

nonshinyfinish
21-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Article (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/21/football-stadiums-and-their-views-of-famous-landmarks (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/21/football-stadiums-and-their-views-of-famous-landmarks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other)) mentions the view of Arthur’s Seat from ER, but no mention of seeing Edinburgh Castle from Tynie.

How odd.

stu in nottingham
21-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Nottingham Forest's City Ground from Notts County's Meadow Lane. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
21-11-2018, 11:24 AM
The roof of tynecastle school is famous around gorgie. Folk pay money to watch it.

Only a question of time before it gets the recognition it deserves.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

G15 Hibs
21-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Article (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/21/football-stadiums-and-their-views-of-famous-landmarks (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/21/football-stadiums-and-their-views-of-famous-landmarks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other)) mentions the view of Arthur’s Seat from ER, but no mention of seeing Edinburgh Castle from Tynie.

How odd.

Seems that most of the photos have been sent in by readers and, statistically, Hibs fans are more likely to be able to read than their Hearts counterparts. So not so odd.

Keith_M
21-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Seems that most of the photos have been sent in by readers and, statistically, Hibs fans are more likely to be able to read than their Hearts counterparts. So not so odd.

Or maybe it would be a tad difficult to actually take a photo of the Castle from Tynie, on account of the fact it's only visible if you're standing on the roof of their main stand.

Jamesie
21-11-2018, 12:29 PM
From about row S of the East stand upwards you can see the top of a large grey building if you look between the South and West stands. Some friends are convinced it is Appleton Tower at Edinburgh University. I'm not convinced that the topography would permit such a view but I'm struggling to think what else it could be!

LancashireHibby
21-11-2018, 01:26 PM

How odd.
What a handsome gent who sent the ER tweet!

Carheenlea
21-11-2018, 01:36 PM
The way Hearts banged on about how big their new stand was going to be it might be the only football stand visible from space.

where'stheslope
21-11-2018, 01:52 PM
The way Hearts banged on about how big their new stand was going to be it might be the only football stand visible from space.
Does that mean there is no atmosphere either????

HibbyDave
21-11-2018, 04:12 PM
If I remember correctly there is a giant beech hedge at Brechin.

Alfiembra
21-11-2018, 04:59 PM

:not worth Take a bow sir that’s a belter :top marks

Here’s Lucy!
21-11-2018, 05:11 PM

:thumbsup:

Ryan69
21-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Or maybe it would be a tad difficult to actually take a photo of the Castle from Tynie, on account of the fact it's only visible if you're standing on the roof of their main stand.

If your the tallest man alive maybe.

HH81
21-11-2018, 05:44 PM
What a handsome gent who sent the ER tweet!

Have you stopped eating or is that an old photo 😀

Some good photos on the link though.

Hibrandenburg
21-11-2018, 05:57 PM
From Hertha's ground on a clear day, you can see Hitler's Olympic Stadium.

Diclonius
21-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Post of 2018.

MGmick
21-11-2018, 06:40 PM
There have been quite a few times that I've been able to see into the near future while at ER.

StevieC
21-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Don't know if it counts as famous landmark, but from top level of St James you can see most of Newcastle and Gateshead.

JXM73
22-11-2018, 07:33 AM
Funnily you cant see Dumbarton castle from the stand at dumbarton despite being within spitting distance of each other...

where'stheslope
23-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Dens Park, you can still see Hearts being broken!!!!

PatHead
23-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Dens Park, you can still see Hearts being broken!!!!

Lol

heid the baw
23-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Stadio Garibaldi in Pisa takes some beating. Right next to the leaning tower

PatHead
23-11-2018, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=heid the baw;5609943]Stadio Garibaldi in Pisa takes some beating. Right next to the leaning tower[/QUOTE

I thought York City had the only stadium named after a biscuit. Oh every day is a school day.

stu in nottingham
23-11-2018, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=heid the baw;5609943]Stadio Garibaldi in Pisa takes some beating. Right next to the leaning tower[/QUOTE

I thought York City had the only stadium named after a biscuit. Oh every day is a school day.

Not football but the Batley Bulldogs rugby league club play at the Fox's Biscuits Stadium!

nonshinyfinish
23-11-2018, 01:06 PM
I could really go for a garibaldi right now. Damn you all.

RyeSloan
23-11-2018, 05:14 PM
From about row S of the East stand upwards you can see the top of a large grey building if you look between the South and West stands. Some friends are convinced it is Appleton Tower at Edinburgh University. I'm not convinced that the topography would permit such a view but I'm struggling to think what else it could be!

It’s the only realistic culprit but having gone past the tower just the other day it looks no where near as large or as ‘stand alone’ when in the vicinity (still not pretty right enough) as the building appears from ER...it really is an odd one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
23-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Stadio Garibaldi in Pisa takes some beating. Right next to the leaning tower

True. The stadiums a dump though!

Smartie
23-11-2018, 06:58 PM
I used to quite like that you could see Canary Wharf and the other skyscrapers in that area from the upper tier of the stand behind the goal at the Boleyn.

Magic ground, very much missed.

Speedy
23-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Not a football ground but it's pretty impressive sitting watching tennis at the french open with the Eiffel Tower visible from Chatrier.

WoreTheGreen
23-11-2018, 07:17 PM
I could really go for a garibaldi right now. Damn you all.

Join the club

LancashireHibby
23-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Not football but the Batley Bulldogs rugby league club play at the Fox's Biscuits Stadium!
With a slope from end to end several times deeper than the old one at ER!

SquashedFrogg
23-11-2018, 09:44 PM
With a slope from end to end several times deeper than the old one at ER!

Ours was an 8 foot slope (sounds filthy when you read it out loud)

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-11-2018, 10:16 PM
I used to quite like that you could see Canary Wharf and the other skyscrapers in that area from the upper tier of the stand behind the goal at the Boleyn.

Magic ground, very much missed.

Indeed. 😥

CropleyWasGod
23-11-2018, 11:03 PM
Ours was an 8 foot slope (sounds filthy when you read it out loud)Sounds like a Clarkson line.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
23-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Belenenses, in Belem, on the outskirts of Lisbon, has views across the River Tagus to the absolutely massive Cristo Rei monument and also looks over the Jeronimos Monastery, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The football club are separate from the sporting club who own the stadium and I believe the football club (top-flight) have moved out this season. A sixth-tier football team who are part of the sporting club now play in the stadium but it seems most of the fanbase stayed with the sixth-tier team.

Trivia point - Belenenses first game in Europe was against us.

heretoday
24-11-2018, 12:46 AM
You used to get a decent view of the Thames from the top of the terrace at Fulham.
Likewise at Arbroath - the view of the harbour was diverting.

PatHead
24-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Belenenses, in Belem, on the outskirts of Lisbon, has views across the River Tagus to the absolutely massive Cristo Rei monument and also looks over the Jeronimos Monastery, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The football club are separate from the sporting club who own the stadium and I believe the football club (top-flight) have moved out this season. A sixth-tier football team who are part of the sporting club now play in the stadium but it seems most of the fanbase stayed with the sixth-tier team.

Trivia point - Belenenses first game in Europe was against us.

But did you go to the bakers?

Keith_M
24-11-2018, 09:12 AM
I understand that, not only can you see the Moon from the top of the Camp Nou in Barcelona, you can actually almost touch it.

PatHead
24-11-2018, 09:14 AM
I understand that, not only can you see the Moon from the top of the Camp Nou in Barcelona, you can actually almost touch it.

No, that was the old terracing at Easter Road before it was cut in half. At least it seemed like that as a kid.