PDA

View Full Version : Now that we can thankfully forget about internationals, how do we see Saturday going?

G B Young
21-11-2018, 10:49 AM
It's been a horrible stop-start season so far, with far too many lengthy international breaks which effectively rule us out of action for a fortnight at a time. It also means we face an absurd log-jam of fixtures in December.

Maddening as that may be, it's very important Hibs focus on getting back on track with a win against Dundee. On paper it's the easiest fixture we could return to action with and it would be great to think we can restore confidence by banging in a few goals, but are we confident of a straightforward win? I've got a feeling it could be tight.

sauzee=legend
21-11-2018, 10:56 AM
3-0 win for us, Flo and Mac x2 on the score sheet

JeMeSouviens
21-11-2018, 10:56 AM
It's been a horrible stop-start season so far, with far too many lengthy international breaks which effectively rule us out of action for a fortnight at a time. It also means we face an absurd log-jam of fixtures in December.

Maddening as that may be, it's very important Hibs focus on getting back on track with a win against Dundee. On paper it's the easiest fixture we could return to action with and it would be great to think we can restore confidence by banging in a few goals, but are we confident of a straightforward win? I've got a feeling it could be tight.

I think we'll win comfortably.

YanYansen
21-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Unless sitting on a two goal + cushion, I live in constant fear of ****ups. And even then I'm never 100%. The performance against St Johnstone should have obliterated any misplaced complacency in both team and support.

There are 7 teams above us. We have played against them a total of 8 times. Our record?

W - 1
D - 3
L - 4

A total of 6 points from a possible 24 against the seven sides above us. One win. We haven't even played the Huns at all yet. We haven't scored for three games. I hear a lot about "false positions", but with a record like that, our position is anything but false. We are 8th on merit. The awful truth is, aside from a canter against a horrific Hamilton side, we've been **** for weeks. Make no mistake, unless we see a significant uptick in form, December is going to be harrowing. I don't think we look like beating any of the teams above us at the moment.

So, beating Fundee at home is pretty much mandatory. Because of the next 8 games, 6 are against teams currently above us; and if we return a record of a piece with that detailed above, we will probably be dead in the water by new year in terms of challenging for Euro spots, but we will certainly be cut adrift in the bottom six.

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Unless sitting on a two goal + cushion, I live in constant fear of ****ups. And even then I'm never 100%. The performance against St Johnstone should have obliterated any misplaced complacency in both team and support.

There are 7 teams above us. We have played against them a total of 8 times. Our record?

W - 1
D - 3
L - 4

A total of 6 points from a possible 24 against the seven sides above us. One win. We haven't even played the Huns at all yet. We haven't scored for three games. I hear a lot about "false positions", but with a record like that, our position is anything but false. We are 8th on merit. The awful truth is, aside from a canter against a horrific Hamilton side, we've been **** for weeks. Make no mistake, unless we see a significant uptick in form, December is going to be harrowing. I don't think we look like beating any of the teams above us at the moment.

So, beating Fundee at home is pretty much mandatory. Because of the next 8 games, 6 are against teams currently above us; and if we return a record of a piece with that detailed above, we will probably be dead in the water by new year in terms of challenging for Euro spots, but we will certainly be cut adrift in the bottom six.

Can’t wait now.

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 02:23 PM

W - 1
D - 3
L - 4

I suspect you may need one of these...

Diclonius
21-11-2018, 02:46 PM
It'll be fine.

Dashing Bob S
21-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Double figures - easy peasy

superfurryhibby
21-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Eight points between 1st and 8th position. Not ready to hit the panic button yet. I fully expect a convincing performance from us on Saturday. Hanlon says he is back training and Gray is due back soon. We will improve, starting from the Dundee game.

Here’s Lucy!
21-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Absolutely no reason not to expect a thumping win.

Wilson
21-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Absolutely no reason not to expect a thumping win.

I wouldn't agree. Zero goals in the last three games would be one reason not to expect a "thumping" win. Form generally.

I'd take a 1-0.

Golden Bear
21-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Domestic football on a Saturday? It will never catch on.

🙄

overdrive
21-11-2018, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't agree. Zero goals in the last three games would be one reason not to expect a "thumping" win. Form generally.

I'd take a 1-0.

Added to that knack we have of gifting to points to teams that are desperate for points.

Souter96Mac
21-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Feeling confident for this. I think we needed the Int Break, and I don't say that too often. Hopefully the squad has settled down, maybe with some more returning from injury.

2-0 win, Kamberi and Macca.

calumhibee1
21-11-2018, 04:56 PM
I suspect you may need one of these...

:greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
21-11-2018, 04:56 PM

I'd take a 1-0.

Fair point but, it is only ​Dundee!!

Hi Heid Yin
21-11-2018, 05:03 PM

I'd like to think that this has impacted our team more than others, but the fact is that all SPL clubs have faced the same frustrations regarding stop/start and have picked up more points along the way.
Time for us to get our act together and go on a long unbeaten run and claw back the points separating us from the top 4 teams - starting with a victory against Dundee.

NAE NOOKIE
23-11-2018, 12:57 AM
I can usually rationalise any result, even against teams we would expect to beat. But I have to admit I will be less than impressed if we don't get the 3 points this Saturday … its not lost on me that our last 4 games have consisted of 3 away from home at venues where every club finds it difficult and 1 at home to a St Johnstone side who it turns out were at the start of a fantastic run of form.

From that perspective its not unreasonable to say we were a bit unfortunate to have a run of games like that. But its time to turn things around and we have been handed what is on paper probably the easiest fixture we could have asked for, and at home too. If we cant win that game then I will be starting to think that our at best average form lately is down to more than just bad luck, injuries, and being handed tough fixtures and considering what we are going to have to face in December we had better start to shape up fast ….. starting with Dundee on Saturday.

Forza Fred
23-11-2018, 01:50 AM
I expect Boyle to play up a notch this Saturday following his confidence boosting introduction to the international scene.

number9dream
23-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Dundee are on a run of one win in 14 games, with 12 defeats. They've scored 4 goals in that sequence.
They're probably going to sit deep and dig in, so we need to get at them with a high tempo right from the start. Get an early goal and they might crumble.
Boyle should be full of confidence, so let's hope he can cope with the jet lag. He should have enough in the tank for 60 minutes of all out attack.

MWHIBBIES
23-11-2018, 08:37 AM

W - 1
D - 3
L - 4

The only weeks we have been been poor for are the 4 games without winning. We were in great form before that.

B.H.F.C
23-11-2018, 09:28 AM
We need to win tomorrow and I think we will win.

A decent performance with a bit of attacking intent would be welcome after how poor we’ve been in the last few games in that regard.

eastcoasthibby
23-11-2018, 09:46 AM
The only weeks we have been been poor for are the 4 games without winning. We were in great form before that.

Our playing form in games is patchy we rarely get a 60-70 minutes of good play, improved performances are usually assisted at half time roasting that gets players backsides moving.
We need to get a consistent and balanced team on the pitch, stop playing about with formations and players out of position, hopefully if we have a couple of players back to full fitness ie mclaren, kamberi, Hamlon then this will help cos December is going to be ridiculously tough and all the players need to be up and at it, no prima donna or half hearted crap , every game is to win, burst a gut stuff.
We need at least 15 points between now and the break and more should be possible if we can get going.

Not In The Know
23-11-2018, 10:20 AM
You can't underestimate the what the Uefa cup run did to the team early in the season. It disrupted our preseason and the players we have are not used to that amount of games Thursday - Sunday etc.

You could also argue the early start contributed to all the injuries we picked up to key players.

heretoday
23-11-2018, 02:22 PM
I'll be happier when Gray is back.

JohnMcM
23-11-2018, 04:24 PM
I have very mixed feelings about this one.

The breaks, as others have said, have made for a stop-start season so far. Not only in time between matches but also, arguably, in on-field performances in terms of finishing chances.

I think we can all agree that our finishing and chance taking across the team as a whole has been lacking recently, even with the missing injured.

Dundee potentially offer the chance to remedy that. They (Dundee), are also desperate to move on. I hope I'm wrong in this but I have a horrible feeling this game is going to be a harder one than many people expect and we will be happy to get the 3 points any which way up.

:flag:

Keith_M
23-11-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm gonna disagree with Yam Yamson and predict a confidence boosting win.

YanYansen
23-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Lol, GTF :greengrin

Smartie
23-11-2018, 07:42 PM

W - 1
D - 3
L - 4

I recommend reading this post with "Everybody Hurts" on in the background.

SquashedFrogg
23-11-2018, 09:35 PM

😂 10/10

Dashing Bob S
24-11-2018, 12:16 AM
4-1 Hibs. A couple of people on here to be bitterly disappointed at us conceding and advance the argument that we would have been “in serious trouble against more decent opposition.”

heretoday
24-11-2018, 12:30 AM
We seem a bit rudderless recently and I wouldn't be surprised if we only draw.

YanYansen
24-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Presumably not feeling like being a couple of smartarses now, eh.

calumhibee1
24-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Presumably not feeling like being a couple of smartarses now, eh.

To be fair, while I didn’t disagree with your post it was pretty depressing :greengrin

Probably a reflection of what everyone knew deep down - that were not good enough.