PDA

View Full Version : Martin ONeill gone

BH Hibs
21-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Mutual agreement apparently.

Nicho87
21-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Never seen a team get so much last minute winners or equalisers in the Euro 16 campaign. Luck.

BH Hibs
21-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Admins feel free to merge.

Dalianwanda
21-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Stephen Kenny a stick on for the role I’d say.

Hibs4185
21-11-2018, 09:56 AM
At least if Rodgers leaves Celtic there is another candidate rather than Lennon now!

bingo70
21-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Quite a few on Twitter saying they want Lennon to get the job.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Ireland to be honest and i'd always assumed they wouldn't want a Norn Ireland man in charge but i am guessing it's more complex than that with him being an ex-Celtic manager?

CropleyWasGod
21-11-2018, 10:29 AM

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to Ireland to be honest and i'd always assumed they wouldn't want a Norn Ireland man in charge but i am guessing it's more complex than that with him being an ex-Celtic manager?

Martin O'Neill was NI captain, and an ex-Celtic manager.

Leitherhibs
21-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Lennon 25/1

Sir David Gray
21-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Martin O'Neill's an ex Celtic manager and Northern Irish, just like Lennon.

I imagine it would be less problematic for a Northern Irishman who used to manage Celtic to get the role at the Republic of Ireland, than it would be for the same person to get a similar role with Northern Ireland.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Martin O'Neill was NI captain, and an ex-Celtic manager.

Of course :doh:

Lennon 25/1

20/1

Someone on twitter saying 14/1 but i can't see what bookies that's with.

Oscar T Grouch
21-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Hopefully Lennon meant what he said when he said he was too young to take a National managers job!!

superbam
21-11-2018, 10:38 AM
good. The **** still owes me in opportunity cost for the last few RoI games ive watched, brutal joyless football

bingo70
21-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Hopefully Lennon meant what he said when he said he was too young to take a National managers job!!

I mentioned before that i felt what happened recently was his way of letting it be known he wasn't entirely happy here and was a way of inviting offers. I know many will disagree but that's my gut feeling and i think he'd love this job and i think it would be a good one for him.

I love Lennon, he's been the best Hibs manager in my lifetime but I personally think there's an inevitability about him moving on at some point soon and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him go for this job.

I think this would be a great job for him TBH and if he gets it i'd wish him well.

CentreLine
21-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Think Michael O’Neill could be next. Think we dodged a bullet there sadly

Dalianwanda
21-11-2018, 10:43 AM
good. The **** still owes me in opportunity cost for the last few RoI games ive watched, brutal joyless football

They didn't mind that when they were knicking games though.....I'd say they are pretty skint and won't be able to splash out like they have been doing on previous managers. Crowds down & a decent payoff required to MON..

Neil Lennon around 25-1, Stephen Kenny 3-1, Mick McCarthy odds on.............

bingo70
21-11-2018, 11:17 AM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-boss-neil-lennon-emerges-13622738

Neil Lennon is among the frontrunners to replace Martin O'Neill (http://dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/martin-oneill) as Republic of Ireland manager.
The Hibs (http://dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/hibernian-fc) boss has a growing list of admirers for his work at Easter Road and has been a name put forward by Irish fans in the past.

Lennon (http://dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/neil-lennon) has taken Hibs from the Championship and finished fourth in his first season back in the top flight.
This season, a bright start saw them near the top but they currently sit eight points behind leaders Celtic in eighth place.

he 47-year-old played 40 times for Northern Ireland between 1994 and 2002.
Former Ireland boss Mick McCarthy is the favourite to take the reins, with odds as short as 1/2. He's followed by former Dunfermline manager Stephen Kenny who has been impressing with Dundalk in the League of Ireland, while Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce and Paul Cook are also listed.

Oscar T Grouch
21-11-2018, 11:31 AM
I mentioned before that i felt what happened recently was his way of letting it be known he wasn't entirely happy here and was a way of inviting offers. I know many will disagree but that's my gut feeling and i think he'd love this job and i think it would be a good one for him.

I love Lennon, he's been the best Hibs manager in my lifetime but I personally think there's an inevitability about him moving on at some point soon and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him go for this job.

I think this would be a great job for him TBH and if he gets it i'd wish him well.

While I think he will move on eventually, I think he still sees his place as a day to day manager. I am not sure he would adapt well to being a national manager where he only works with players every few months. Hopefully he does think this way and we will have him for a few more seasons yet.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 12:29 PM
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23153825

Neil Lennon down to 12/1 Fourth favourite from 25/1 on SkyBet earlier.

Those ahead of him don't seem that realistic to me.

Stephen Kenny- Failed in his only job at a higher standard, big jump from doing well in LOI to managing the Irish national team.

Mick McCarthy- Not a serious candidate imo, only being mentioned because he managed them before and is currently unemployed.

Sam Allardyce- No chance, couldn't afford him, wouldn't want him and doubt he'd want it. He's set up his gig as a premiership firefighter IMO.

Peevemor
21-11-2018, 12:31 PM
https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/23153825

Neil Lennon down to 12/1 Fourth favourite from 25/1 on SkyBet earlier.

Those ahead of him don't seem that realistic to me.

Stephen Kenny- Failed in his only job at a higher standard, big jump from doing well in LOI to managing the Irish national team.

Mick McCarthy- Not a serious candidate imo, only being mentioned because he managed them before and is currently unemployed.

Sam Allardyce- No chance, couldn't afford him, wouldn't want him and doubt he'd want it. He's set up his gig as a premiership firefighter IMO.

Now at 8/1 :paranoid:

bingo70
21-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Now at 8/1 :paranoid:

The guys at Sky bet obviously read my post. :greengrin

J-C
21-11-2018, 12:37 PM
His odds are shooting down, looking likely he's maybe a strong candidate. As Bingo said maybe he feels a change is needed and the Irish job would be perfect for him, away from all the hassle and bigotry.

KeithTheHibby
21-11-2018, 12:55 PM
The odds mean nothing.

It takes very little cash to be placed on managerial appointments for odds to tumble at this early stage.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 12:59 PM
The odds mean nothing.

It takes very little cash to be placed on managerial appointments for odds to tumble at this early stage.

I don't think the odds coming down is the worry. I personally think it's the lack of decent alternatives.

Looking at the list of candidates on the SKY Bet website Neil Lennon is by far the best and most realistic choice for them IMO.

A quick search of Lennon's name on twitter would tell you how popular appointment he would be. The Ireland board will likely take note of him being a popular choice as well.

mayo hibee
21-11-2018, 01:21 PM
I doubt Lennon will be the next Ireland manager, not sure his name will even be too involved in the discussion in Ireland, he has no recent pedigree that would be noticed there, almost nobody follows Hibs and the Scottish Premiership is considered to be a complete backwater.

Mick Mccarthy seems the obvious choice, did well at Ipswich given he had no financial backing, plays decent football and has unfinished business with the job given how it ended last time. He's also about the right age for international management.

The Ireland manager job is part privately funded, so there will probably be cash available if they want to go for a more high profile name than Mccarthy, but either way I can't see Lennon getting the call.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2018, 01:33 PM
What about Michael O'Neill?

bingo70
21-11-2018, 01:44 PM
I doubt Lennon will be the next Ireland manager, not sure his name will even be too involved in the discussion in Ireland, he has no recent pedigree that would be noticed there, almost nobody follows Hibs and the Scottish Premiership is considered to be a complete backwater.

Mick Mccarthy seems the obvious choice, did well at Ipswich given he had no financial backing, plays decent football and has unfinished business with the job given how it ended last time. He's also about the right age for international management.

The Ireland manager job is part privately funded, so there will probably be cash available if they want to go for a more high profile name than Mccarthy, but either way I can't see Lennon getting the call.

If the managers job is privately funded who would pay the severance package? Would they foot the bill for that as well do you know?

I am surprised what you say about the reputation of the Scottish league, I thought all things Celtic would be massive over there and therefore give some credibility to our league, and to Neil Lennon.

I'm surprised Mick McCarthy is such a popular choice, why did he leave the last time round? I thought he left Ipswich because of their old fashioned and dull style of football, didn't think he was renowned for good football?

Winston Ingram
21-11-2018, 01:54 PM
The pool of players O’Neill had a available to him was appalling. He had little chance of doing much with that lot.

I have little sympathy for the Irish on this. Their whole attitude to developing players is grooming English and Scottish youth teams trying to persuade English/Scottish kids that they aren’t English/Scottish.

I was delighted Grealish bumped them and I really hope Declan Rice does as well.

Hopefully they might start trying to develop their own players.

mayo hibee
21-11-2018, 02:03 PM
The managers job cost is usually split 50/50 between the FAI and private funding, although there has been talk that that might end as the FAI have been in a stronger financial position since the run to the last 16 of Euro 2016. If the private funding was to be used again it would cover 50% of severance plus salary I'd imagine.

It's a common misconception that Celtic are massive in Ireland - that only really applies to Northern Ireland and the border areas. In the rest of the country there is little interest in Celtic or Scottish football, but planes go out of airports there every weekend packed with Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool fans.

Mccarthy would be popular as he did a complete squad rebuild from 1996 that resulted in a great run at the 2002 world cup. Eventually had to leave mainly as a result of the fall out with Roy Keane in the training camp before the finals tournament. Ireland played good football under him. He had a rough time at Ipswich as expectations far exceeded what could be achieved with their budget. They're now bottom of the Championship without him though.

mayo hibee
21-11-2018, 02:07 PM
The pool of players O’Neill had a available to him was appalling. He had little chance of doing much with that lot.

I have little sympathy for the Irish on this. Their whole attitude to developing players is grooming English and Scottish youth teams trying to persuade English/Scottish kids that they aren’t English/Scottish.

I was delighted Grealish bumped them and I really hope Declan Rice does as well.

Hopefully they might start trying to develop their own players.

That would be preferred but the competition between sports there is fierce. The rugby team are the biggest show in town these days and Gaelic Football and Hurling take up massive playing resources also. As a result that really limits the pool of football (soccer) players available at the required standard, hence the reliance on foreign born players. That situation is unlikely to ever change.

Incidentally, you mention a lack of sympathy but no Irish football fan would be looking for any sympathy in that regard. For a country that had little previous history of success in the sport it's been a fantastic journey for the last 30 years since Gary Mackay qualified us for Euro 88, even if many of the players involved were of questionable Irishness. I doubt we'll get back to the level of World Cup knockout stages and regular qualification for finals tournaments any time soon but that's just the reality of the limited numbers playing the game here.

Diclonius
21-11-2018, 02:24 PM
Lennon would take the job in a heartbeat if offered.

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Keane lost him the dressing room. They are going back to Mick McCarthy I bet their supporters are as delighted as ours when GJP was appointed again.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Keane lost him the dressing room. They are going back to Mick McCarthy I bet their supporters are as delighted as ours when GJP was appointed again.

That's what i assumed too but Mayo's posts on this thread are backed up on line. From what i can tell on Twitter and forums Mick McCarthy would be a very popular appointment.

Diclonius
21-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Keane seems to be utterly incapable of restraining himself as a manager. That's four teams he's left now because he lost the dressing room.

mayo hibee
21-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Keane seems to be utterly incapable of restraining himself as a manager. That's four teams he's left now because he lost the dressing room.

I honestly think he's a sociopath. The McCarthy thing in 2002 was way over the top relative to the issues that came up in the training camp. The stuff involving him and Harry After a few months ago was just ridiculous - there's something wrong with you when you're the assistant manager and you go out of your way to cause trouble with one of your players like that.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Going back to Lennon. I see he's down to 7/1 on Sky bet but still up at 33/1 on Paddy Power.

If anyone does think he's got a chance of the job and fancies a punt, worth bearing that in mind.

Oscar T Grouch
21-11-2018, 03:19 PM
The managers job cost is usually split 50/50 between the FAI and private funding, although there has been talk that that might end as the FAI have been in a stronger financial position since the run to the last 16 of Euro 2016. If the private funding was to be used again it would cover 50% of severance plus salary I'd imagine.

It's a common misconception that Celtic are massive in Ireland - that only really applies to Northern Ireland and the border areas. In the rest of the country there is little interest in Celtic or Scottish football, but planes go out of airports there every weekend packed with Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool fans.

Mccarthy would be popular as he did a complete squad rebuild from 1996 that resulted in a great run at the 2002 world cup. Eventually had to leave mainly as a result of the fall out with Roy Keane in the training camp before the finals tournament. Ireland played good football under him. He had a rough time at Ipswich as expectations far exceeded what could be achieved with their budget. They're now bottom of the Championship without him though.

My brother in law is from county Mayo and you’re spot on. I was over there in August for a week and no one I spoke to had any interest in Scottish football. It was all Gaelic football, hurling and the English premiership (brothers in law is a Blackburn fan)

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 03:22 PM
That's what i assumed too but Mayo's posts on this thread are backed up on line. From what i can tell on Twitter and forums Mick McCarthy would be a very popular appointment.

If they are happy fair enough, baffled they will be though. Guys a dinosaur who admittedly done great for them in 2002.

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Going back to Lennon. I see he's down to 7/1 on Sky bet but still up at 33/1 on Paddy Power.

If anyone does think he's got a chance of the job and fancies a punt, worth bearing that in mind.

Paddy Power I suspect will know best.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Paddy Power I suspect will know best.

I don't think either of them will know anything at this stage.

I doubt if the FAI will have even got together to discuss potential replacements yet so i don't think there's any inside knowledge to be had anywhere TBH.

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 03:32 PM

He must be finished in football now. Martin O’Neil should have went for Neil originally.

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 03:33 PM

I doubt if the FAI will have even got together to discuss potential replacements yet so i don't think there's any inside knowledge to be had anywhere TBH.

True. And there’s yonks before the next game.

Here’s Lucy!
21-11-2018, 03:56 PM
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-boss-neil-lennon-emerges-13622738

Neil Lennon is among the frontrunners to replace Martin O'Neill (http://dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/martin-oneill) as Republic of Ireland manager.
The Hibs (http://dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/hibernian-fc) boss has a growing list of admirers for his work at Easter Road and has been a name put forward by Irish fans in the past.

Lennon (http://dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/neil-lennon) has taken Hibs from the Championship and finished fourth in his first season back in the top flight.
This season, a bright start saw them near the top but they currently sit eight points behind leaders Celtic in eighth place.

he 47-year-old played 40 times for Northern Ireland between 1994 and 2002.
Former Ireland boss Mick McCarthy is the favourite to take the reins, with odds as short as 1/2. He's followed by former Dunfermline manager Stephen Kenny who has been impressing with Dundalk in the League of Ireland, while Steve Bruce, Sam Allardyce and Paul Cook are also listed.

This pair get linked with every job going!

I just don't see the attraction.

Saying that, as long as it's not NL, I don't really care who gets the bloody job.

we are hibs
21-11-2018, 03:59 PM
I like Roy keane as a pundit purely down to the fact the presenters are usually **** scared to say anything to him :hilarious

Seems a bit of an arse when he's on the training ground though. We could've done with a roy Keane type of player the last 3 games.

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 04:00 PM
I like Roy keane as a pundit purely down to the fact the presenters are usually **** scared to say anything to him :hilarious

Seems a bit of an arse when he's on the training ground though. We could've done with a roy Keane type of player the last 3 games.

Celtic could probably have done without the **** last few games he played for them...

Dalianwanda
21-11-2018, 04:06 PM

I just went for a pint and the locals went through 6 or 7 others before i piped up with Neil Lennons name....Not that they were dismissive just that they hadnt considered him.....Saying that I could see his odds going down from folk seeing the relatively high odds to start...certainly worth a punt

Dalianwanda
21-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Ive enjoyed Top Flight Time Machines 'Deep Dive' into his second book....Very funny.

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2018, 06:12 PM

All successful managers understand that the team comes first. I don't think that Keane gets that.

DetroitHibs
21-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Roy Keane is a mirror image of his old boss Brian Clough. The games completely different than it was back then. Keane hasn't evolved at all and will never make a successful manager.

Smartie
21-11-2018, 06:48 PM
I don't really know how any of these successful modern managers do it though. You seem to have to pander to egos just about enough yet still be tough.

I can almost understand where Keane is coming from, but it's not a surprise he falls a bit short.

Funnily enough I still think there's a good manager in there, but he would have to have a very particular set of circumstances to succeed, circumstances that I'm not sure exist any more.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2018, 06:49 PM
What about Michael O'Neill?

Bullets in the post for him if he even considers it I reckon

Hi Heid Yin
21-11-2018, 07:05 PM

You are not alone in thinking this.
This said, we will never know for sure if this was the motive behind the latest of his expressions of dissatisfaction.

Smartie
21-11-2018, 07:18 PM
With a questionable user name of "Easter Rising" and Neil Lennon having experienced "death threats", do you really think it appropriate to post this?

I think it is a reasonable point to raise in the context of the suggestion that a catholic Northern Ireland manager might leave his post to become the manager of the Republic of Ireland, especially given the treatment Neil Lennon received for fairly mild comments relating to his choice of national team.

Hibeesmad
21-11-2018, 07:25 PM
If Ireland want him he be gone

Stuart93
21-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Aye certainly wouldn’t rule this out. He’d get a lot less hassle if he joined Ireland

hibs#1
21-11-2018, 07:35 PM
With a questionable user name of "Easter Rising" and Neil Lennon having experienced "death threats", do you really think it appropriate to post this?

Personally think the guy has fair point.

Pretty Boy
21-11-2018, 07:51 PM
I personally do not think it reasonable for a hibby, or indeed any one else to resort to posting and using a term that can be interpreted as a veiled threat.
I'm not suggesting that "Easter Rising" is sending out an actual threat, but something about his post does not rest easy with me.
For those that don't know Irish history, perhaps you might like to look up "Easter Rising"

I don't see any veiled threat.

Reads to me like the poster is suggesting Michael O'Neill would be in a potentially dangerous position if he walked out on his current job for the FAI and it's hard to argue with that viewpoint.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Reads to me like the poster is suggesting Michael O'Neill would be in a potentially dangerous position if he walked out on his current job for the FAI and it's hard to argue with that viewpoint.

Exactly the point I was making. Cheers.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2018, 08:02 PM
I personally do not think it reasonable for a hibby, or indeed any one else to resort to posting and using a term that can be interpreted as a veiled threat.
I'm not suggesting that "Easter Rising" is sending out an actual threat, but something about his post does not rest easy with me.
For those that don't know Irish history, perhaps you might like to look up "Easter Rising"

My username has nothing to do with anything.

Borderhibbie76
21-11-2018, 08:03 PM

I think this would be a great job for him TBH and if he gets it i'd wish him well.I agree with you and don't think his hearts been in it recently since the Tynecastle debacle...would not be in the slightest bit surprised if he goes...hope not but I agree

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
21-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Neil would actually be a very smart move from Ireland to get in as manager. It would bring a siege mentality and get them all behind the team for a start, have the respect of the players and with good players he’s tactically very good.

Hi Heid Yin
21-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Exactly the point I was making. Cheers.

My sincere apologies Easter Rising.
I completely misread the thread and thought we were referring to Neil Lennon not O'Neil.
I will now remove my posts and give myself a royal kick up the proverbial for not reading the whole thread through.

Hi Heid Yin
21-11-2018, 08:25 PM

I've apologised to Easter Rising for my posts.
I did not read the whole thread through and genuinely thought we were referring to Neil lennon and not Michael O'Neil.
I will remove my posts now.

Pagan Hibernia
21-11-2018, 08:34 PM
My sincere apologies Easter Rising.
I completely misread the thread and thought we were referring to Neil Lennon not O'Neil.
I will now remove my posts and give myself a royal kick up the proverbial for not reading the whole thread through.

Not a problem mate

Hi Heid Yin
21-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Not a problem mate

:aok:

Pretty Boy
21-11-2018, 09:41 PM
I've apologised to Easter Rising for my posts.
I did not read the whole thread through and genuinely thought we were referring to Neil lennon and not Michael O'Neil.
I will remove my posts now.

No worries. No harm done.

jacomo
21-11-2018, 09:44 PM

Might turn out alright for them then.

:aok: