PDA

View Full Version : Pubs to go to before seeing Man City

lugz
20-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Admin feel free to move if in the wrong place.

Thanks to our awesome sponsor Marathon Bet I've won 2 tickets to go see city vs Bournemouth at the etihad on 01/12. Has anyone been to the etihad for a game and if so what pubs are good to drink in before the game?

Hibbyradge
20-11-2018, 10:51 AM
There's a decent pre-match experience laid on at the stadium. "City Square" has bars, huge screens and sometimes bands.

However, I'm not sure what that would be like if the weather was crap.

There are plenty pubs in the city centre, but it's a fair walk to the ground. A taxi or an Uber would be better but they might be hard to find.

I'm sure more regular attendees than me will be along shortly to help you.

hailhail22
20-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Admin feel free to move if in the wrong place.

Thanks to our awesome sponsor Marathon Bet I've won 2 tickets to go see city vs Bournemouth at the etihad on 01/12. Has anyone been to the etihad for a game and if so what pubs are good to drink in before the game?

I’ve been down a few times and went to the Southampton game a few weeks ago as well, can’t comment on pubs as I have always went to the square outside the stadium. As another poster said there is bars there and also a stage set up outside the club shop where they have a lot of pre match entertainment.

The other week we went round to see all the players arriving which I thought was really good, they have abit entertainment and music playing ect till the players arrive then call them one by one off the bus, they arrive at quarter to 2 but the guy who done our stadium tour the day before suggested being there 30mins earlier as it gets really busy so we managed to get at the front.

Hope you find a decent pub but definitely enough round and about the stadium to see and do while having a few pints

lugz
20-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Cheers guys the thing at the stadium sounds good as I'll probably go into the club shop and pick up something. We arrive into Manchester at 12:15 so plenty time to have a look around and grab a couple of beers.

LancashireHibby
21-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Mary D’s by the ground will serve you well. Never been in for a City game but if it’s the same as when they’ve hosted rugby then they absolutely fly through the queue, never waiting more than a couple of minutes waiting to be served.

City centre is about 25 minutes walk away or plenty of trams and taxis.

I went to the game against Southampton last season (mate had a spare season ticket) and it was absolutely Baltic so we gave City Square a swerve and had a beer on the concourse inside instead.

Just Jimmy
21-11-2018, 01:39 PM
drink in the town centre. cheapest pint is in Sinclair's at exchange square and it had a decent amount of character to it. you can jump on the tram at Ex Sq and change at St Peter's and get the tram up to the stadium. either the ethiad or the Ashton tram stops at the stadium.

As others have said there's a fan park set up at the ground but you'll be cheaper just staying in town and just having a couple at the ground.

I live down in Manchester so give me a shout if you need anymore info. it'll be a cracking day out.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

lugz
21-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info guys, turns out the tickets are in the 93:20 section so think we'll just head to the stadium get the tickets, go to club store and head into the bar in there before the game.

Can't wait to go see a game at the etihad, been down for a concert but this will be much better.

bod
21-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Mary D’s by the ground will serve you well. Never been in for a City game but if it’s the same as when they’ve hosted rugby then they absolutely fly through the queue, never waiting more than a couple of minutes waiting to be served.

City centre is about 25 minutes walk away or plenty of trams and taxis.

I went to the game against Southampton last season (mate had a spare season ticket) and it was absolutely Baltic so we gave City Square a swerve and had a beer on the concourse inside instead.

I'll 2nd Mary D's .Go through to the lounge cos theres loads of memorabillia all round the walls,there was a dj in the corner blasting out tunes last time i was there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2018, 07:25 PM
There's a pub across the road from the away end that was populated with folk that wouldn't be out of place at Ibrox, the name escapes me for the moment though. Having said that there was no sign of any bother.

PISTOL1875
21-11-2018, 08:20 PM
When i go down , I usually go to Mary D's.

Higgy115
22-11-2018, 07:05 AM
There's a pub across the road from the away end that was populated with folk that wouldn't be out of place at Ibrox, the name escapes me for the moment though. Having said that there was no sign of any bother.

I think that was the one we were in, like the boozer out of ‘Shameless’, was great entertainment to be fair!!!! About 5 mins from ground.

BILLYHIBS
22-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Speaking to a Man City fan here in Fuertaventura he recommends The Townley 6minutes from Etihad as the best closely followed by Mary Ds

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Might be worth trying to locate the statue of Bobby Nipper Johnstone one of their best ever players and member of the illustrious Famous Five

BILLYHIBS
24-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Spoke to my new Man City mate at the bar last night and he tells me that the statue/ bust of Bobby Johnstone seems to have disappeared since the move from Maine Road to the Etihad

I also asked him if it feels like the same club as the seventies and eighties in response to a recent thread on here and he said yes obviously they welcome the cash injection and mega millions and the success it has brought but a few years ago the new owners tried to take things to the next level too quickly and recoup their investment by pushing up prices which had an affect on attendances but have now reduced prices to an acceptable level and he now pays £750 for a season ticket x two as he also pays for his nineteen year old grandson :confused:

Mantis Toboggan
24-11-2018, 07:38 AM
Marble Arch near Shudehill has pretty amazing beers. Would also recommend wandering the Northern Quarter. Some hipster pubs, some proper pubs, some rough ones also. they will probably be gone soon.