PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Block

stevebone
20-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Hi all - a poster from down south here. I wanted to post this on Saturday but it's taken a couple of days for me to be authorised to post here. Anyhow, you have probably all read by now about this young trialist you have with you this week.

https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/bognor-midfielder-earns-trial-with-scottish-premiership-team-1-8709467

He's a very good prospect - big strong tough-tackling midfielder, who's also been filling in at centre-half. We (Bognor Observer) will be monitoring how he gets on up there.

DaveF
20-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Sure I read previously that he also trials lined up at a few English clubs too?

I hope he does well. Be good to pick up a hidden gem from the English lower leagues.

Scottie
20-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Hi all - a poster from down south here. I wanted to post this on Saturday but it's taken a couple of days for me to be authorised to post here. Anyhow, you have probably all read by now about this young trialist you have with you this week.

https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/bognor-midfielder-earns-trial-with-scottish-premiership-team-1-8709467

He's a very good prospect - big strong tough-tackling midfielder, who's also been filling in at centre-half. We (Bognor Observer) will be monitoring how he gets on up there.
Thanks for the heads up.

Facially wise he's a young looking Franck Sauzée hope he plays as well as the genius :aok:

DaveF
20-11-2018, 10:01 AM
On a side note I see the bognor observer is a Johnston press paper. Do you know master journalist BAnderson by any chance :-)

(Local thing for local people)

stevebone
20-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Tommy has had trials in the past with a couple of English clubs - Sunderland included, I think. No I don't think I know B Anderson, but then our group does have about 180 newspapers!

lyonhibs
20-11-2018, 10:36 AM
Great name. Sounds like he should be one of the Bash Street Kids or something.

SirDavidsNapper
20-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Tommy has had trials in the past with a couple of English clubs - Sunderland included, I think. No I don't think I know B Anderson, but then our group does have about 180 newspapers!

Welcome to Hibs.net and thanks for the info. Hope the lad does well.

hibsbollah
20-11-2018, 10:38 AM

I was thinking a Kray Twins hatchet man 'send Tommy Block in to extract that nonces teeth with a monkey wrench' etc etc. Great name for a defensive midfielder.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Which one in the photo is Tommy? Is he the guy in green and white? Good luck to the lad, he be up against some good talent in his week here, so it’ll be a big challenge for him.

One thing The Bognor observor does share with The Scotsman is the same torturous on-line presence. Talk about slow....

stevebone
20-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Believe me, I have done all the 'Great Block, Tommy' and 'New kid on the Block' headlines / tweets and so on. But no reason they can't be revived for a new audience!

stevebone
20-11-2018, 10:50 AM
And yes that's him in the green and white.
Here is a piece we had on him a couple of weeks back -

https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/bognor-midfielder-block-is-learning-in-defence-1-8699875

Can't possibly comment on the positives or otherwise of our website!

Smartie
20-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Believe me, I have done all the 'Great Block, Tommy' and 'New kid on the Block' headlines / tweets and so on. But no reason they can't be revived for a new audience!

Maybe you could mentor B Anderson in his use of these phrases, he could end up like a chip off the old Block?

hibsbollah
20-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Maybe you could mentor B Anderson in his use of these phrases, he could end up like a chip off the old Block?

'Block on Tommy' while sticking ones thumbs through ones braces simultaneously (for our older viewers).

Hibbyradge
20-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the information, Steve.

Keep your eye on him if he gets a deal, as Hibs have a good reputation for developing players.

stevebone
20-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Will be watching with interest, as will all Bognor fans.

Famous Fiver
20-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Don't tip off Aston Villa about him!!!

DC_Hibs
20-11-2018, 12:04 PM
There’s a couple of Hibs season ticket holders living in Felpham who have been to the odd Bognor game.

Let’s arrange an interview once Blocky is up and running here and has bagged a derby winner. Front page article obviously and the paper would need to pay for the hospitality in the Fox.

Many thanks in advance!

stevebone
20-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Sounds like the future is all mapped out! Why should Aston Villa in particular not be tipped off? Do they have a habit of nicking your prospects?

oneone73
20-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Sounds like the future is all mapped out! Why should Aston Villa in particular not be tipped off? Do they have a habit of nicking your prospects?

Witness for the prosecution: John McGinn.

hughio
20-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Just Super John ..come on Steve keep up!

stevebone
20-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Clearly I need to read up on my Hibs history. I thought it was enough to find out who your club captain was - which I had to do to register to post on here!

Springbank
20-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Song-wise I'd probably go with

We're not fooled by the rocks that he got
He's still, he's still Tommy from the Block
Used to have a little, now he wins the lot
No matter where he goes, He says F*** the Jam Tarts ("7-0 6-2")

Lendo
20-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Unlike our neighbours, this is the sort of Tommy you want to be associated with.

Famous Fiver
20-11-2018, 04:03 PM
We got circa £3 Mill (reportedly) for John McGinn.

After a couple of months in the Championship he is reported as being anywhere between 20 and 40 Mill if the big boys come calling at Villa Park.

Mind you, if young Mr Block stays 3 years and wins another Scottish Cup for us he will go with my best wishes.

hibsbollah
20-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Unlike our neighbours, this is the sort of Tommy you want to be associated with.

Tommy Block Vs Tommy the Cock.

eastmainsmsh
20-11-2018, 09:52 PM
The breeze block

stevebone
21-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Morning Hibs people!

An update here on how Tommy Block is getting on this week - seems to be doing ok so far.

https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/bognor-midfielder-on-target-during-his-week-with-hibs-1-8713249

linlithgowhibbie
21-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Morning Hibs people!

An update here on how Tommy Block is getting on this week - seems to be doing ok so far.

https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/bognor-midfielder-on-target-during-his-week-with-hibs-1-8713249

Ta for that.

Bayern Bru
21-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Morning Hibs people!

Do you know who Tommy scored against in the closed doors game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stevebone
21-11-2018, 12:46 PM
No - no other info about the friendly at this stage.

Bayern Bru
21-11-2018, 12:46 PM

No worries, cheers!

KdyHby
21-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Do you know who Tommy scored against in the closed doors game?

CS Strollers, final score - our favourite NY day result

Keith_M
21-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Morning Hibs people!

Call us 'Hibbies', Steve.

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Morning Hibs people!

Good work Steve. With the kit you’ll be getting lots of Bognor Hibbies now.
Given my limited scrutiny of the Non League Paper, are Bognor maybe doing a bit less well than past couple of seasons?

Peevemor
21-11-2018, 02:57 PM
We should sign him just for his name. He sounds like a character from the Hotspur or something.

bingo70
21-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Morning Hibs people!

Cheers for that.

Excuse my ignorance regarding the level Bognor currently play at however what sort of money is likely to be involved in a transfer? Is it likely to be a bag of balls or a significant fee? I am guessing there will be no development fee due as he came through the ranks at Brighton?

Is he out of contract in the summer? Do you think we are looking with a view to signing him in January?

So many questions.....

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 03:00 PM
We should sign him just for his name. He sounds like a character from the Hotspur or something.

He does. Four brown ales and a fish supper with Nipper before winning the sprint on one leg after shooting a German then grabbing the winner in the cup final after saving a penalty.

stevebone
21-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Ok Hibbies, that's how I shall address you from now on. Perhaps the white and green of Bognor could become a feeder club for Hibs - or vice versa! Not sure on contract / transfer fee - I shall inquire about all that if the week ends with prospects of Tommy making the move.

stevebone
21-11-2018, 03:19 PM
... and as to how Bognor are doing... They were promoted from Isthmian prem to National South (2 steps below Lge Two) for last season but struggled - despite Block and a number of youngsters making the step up. Back down to Isthmian prem this season are sit fourth, a bit up and down but looking like they will be play-off contenders in an open division. Block has played almost every game, most recently in central defence because of a lack of fit CHs.

Big_Franck
21-11-2018, 03:52 PM
... and as to how Bognor are doing... They were promoted from Isthmian prem to National South (2 steps below Lge Two) for last season but struggled - despite Block and a number of youngsters making the step up. Back down to Isthmian prem this season are sit fourth, a bit up and down but looking like they will be play-off contenders in an open division. Block has played almost every game, most recently in central defence because of a lack of fit CHs.

Thanks for your updates on this Steve. I always find these kind of trials quite interesting.

I'd imagine at his age and the level he's currently playing at that he'd be one for our Development/Reserve side this season, with a view to possibly being involved in first team squads next year. Congrats to Bognor on one of the best strips i've seen this season too :aok:

stevebone
21-11-2018, 05:30 PM
Am guessing you're not fussed about the maroon away kit so much...?

DaveF
21-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Am guessing you're not fussed about the maroon away kit so much...?

Toilet roll as far as we are concerned.

Souter96Mac
21-11-2018, 05:51 PM
It might be my ignorance here, but with the level that Block plays at, would we still need to wait until January to sign him?

hibsbollah
21-11-2018, 09:50 PM
It might be my ignorance here, but with the level that Block plays at, would we still need to wait until January to sign him?

:agree: It could be a road Block on Tommy's progress.

HoboHarry
21-11-2018, 10:56 PM
:agree: It could be a road Block on Tommy's progress.

We might get a green light but we are likely on a road to nowhere.....

MWHIBBIES
21-11-2018, 11:21 PM

No club needs to wait until January to sign any player. You simply cannot register them until then.

Hi Heid Yin
22-11-2018, 02:28 AM

Tommy block: sounds like a bout of constipation

CRAZYHIBBY
22-11-2018, 09:56 AM
If we sign him and it doesn't work out the headline could be "tommy for the chopping block"

stevebone
22-11-2018, 10:29 AM
If anyone has the time, inclination and patience to scroll down to about two-thirds of the way through this, they'll find Bognor coach Robbie Blake (the ex-Burnely, Bradford and Leeds striker) talking about Tommy Block - https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/from-a-drought-to-a-glut-now-bognor-must-keep-scoring-1-8714182

CRAZYHIBBY
22-11-2018, 11:02 AM
If anyone has the time, inclination and patience to scroll down to about two-thirds of the way through this, they'll find Bognor coach Robbie Blake (the ex-Burnely, Bradford and Leeds striker) talking about Tommy Block - https://www.bognor.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/from-a-drought-to-a-glut-now-bognor-must-keep-scoring-1-8714182

Why would we?

andrew70
22-11-2018, 11:30 AM
As has been widely reported, young midfielder Tommy Block has secured a week’s trial with Scottish Premiership team Hibernian. Blake said that was a positive not only for the player but for the club too. “He’s been doing really well, he’s been listening, he’s been professional and I wish him the best of luck. Everyone wants to play league football - every footballer wants to play as high as they can,” said Blake
“It’s really important that he goes up there and expresses himself and enjoys it. We’ve had Brad Lethbridge and Smudger involved in the first team at Portsmouth and it all goes to show we are doing things right and there is progression at the football club. Blocky is a versatile player who has a good understanding of the game. He’s been a credit.”

The_Horde
22-11-2018, 11:59 AM
I've got this feeling we'll pass on this guy and be left sitting back in awe whilst Block does a Vardy and soars up the leagues..

SirDavidsNapper
22-11-2018, 01:06 PM
It's always worth taking a look at these guys. Eventually there will be a gem. Said the same when we took Insall. Glad we're casting the net wide.

heretoday
22-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Tommy Block sounds like a cartoon hero from the old Victor or Hotspur comics - saving a certain goal, running upfield and scoring a last-minute winner in the cup, and all while eating a steak pie supper.

Joe6-2
22-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Tommy Block sounds like a cartoon hero from the old Victor or Hotspur comics - saving a certain goal, running upfield and scoring a last-minute winner in the cup, and all while eating a steak pie supper.

SDG could do that! Lol

Forza Fred
23-11-2018, 04:07 AM

Cheers for the info Steve, hope he does well.

Even if we don’t sign him, he’ll be better for the experience.

Will be difficult for him Ithink, as Hibs will more than likely be looking for ‘instant coffee’ as opposed to a developing player, but you ever know and it’s in his own hands, or feetI suppose.

FilipinoHibs
23-11-2018, 05:33 AM
Why would we?

I once camped overnight in Bognor.

SouthMoroccoStu
23-11-2018, 08:39 AM

Show off

Alex Trager
23-11-2018, 09:37 AM
Call us 'Hibbies', Steve.

I prefer the spelling ‘Hibbys’
;-)

GGTTH07
23-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Watched him other day in a closed door game. Looked good although poor opposition

Greenbeard
23-11-2018, 10:33 AM
I prefer the spelling ‘Hibbys’
;-)
Umnie won fur eye wiz curr ektin gram urrin spell in oaniss four um, an weather yer a Hibby or a Hibbie disnae matter, bit either wye the plural is defo Hibbies.

Alex Trager
23-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Umnie won fur eye wiz curr ektin gram urrin spell in oaniss four um, an weather yer a Hibby or a Hibbie disnae matter, bit either wye the plural is defo Hibbies.

Na it’s no. It’s hibbys. Just put an s at the end and you have a plural word.

Hibees
Hibbys

bingo70
23-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Imagine we'll hear a bit more about how he's done this week at Lennon's pre-match press conference today.

Sounds promising though, even if he's signed for the development side with a view to making the break through, could be a potential long term replacement for Bartley.

One Day Soon
23-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Block carried a Bren gun during the war and once held off an entire German platoon assault single-handed after his company had withdrawn from their position while he was asleep. He only woke up because in the dream he was having he heard shouts of 'Sturm' which he recognised from the pre-war friendly he'd played in for England under-16s against a visiting German side at Enfield. He was unexpectedly called up for his debut in that game with only two hours notice when first choice Roy Race from the Melchester area called off with an injury sustained in a freak angling accident just before the match. Block scored twice and played the last 20 minutes with a broken arm.

PatHead
23-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Block carried a Bren gun during the war and once held off an entire German platoon assault single-handed after his company had withdrawn from their position while he was asleep. He only woke up because in the dream he was having he heard shouts of 'Sturm' which he recognised from the pre-war friendly he'd played in for England under-16s against a visiting German side at Enfield. He was unexpectedly called up for his debut in that game with only two hours notice when first choice Roy Race from the Melchester area called off with an injury sustained in a freak angling accident just before the match. Block scored twice and played the last 20 minutes with a broken arm.

But did he get a fish supper?

PatHead
23-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Na it’s no. It’s hibbys. Just put an s at the end and you have a plural word.

Hibees
Hibbys

I always spell it Hibbies. Have I been wrong all these years?

ChooseLife
23-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Hibby/s for the fans
Hibees for the team

IMO :greengrin

Kojock
23-11-2018, 12:39 PM
But did he get a fish supper?

It was Alf Tupper the tough of the track, that used to eat a fish supper before a race 😂

surreyhibbie
23-11-2018, 01:02 PM

I spent a month in Butlins at Bognor one week.

never again...

LancsHibs
23-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Wow just looked up Bogner Regis Town FC on wiki, they have some players with great names! Tommy Block, Tommy Scutt, Harvey Sparks, Doug Tuck & Marley Ridge. Sounds like a bunch of no nonsense lads who get the job done!!!😁

04Sauzee
23-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Going by his tweet he certainly enjoyed the experience.

blackpoolhibs
23-11-2018, 05:51 PM

I think people like to go camp in Brighton.

G B Young
23-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the updates. Hope you and your colleagues are secure in your jobs following last week's developments at Johnston Press.

stevebone
26-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Evening, Hibbies (correct word and spelling I hope). An update on Tommy B here - https://www.chichester.co.uk/sport/football/bognor-midfielder-invited-back-for-another-trial-stint-with-hibs-after-impressing-ex-celtic-boss-neil-lennon-1-8719089

Lago
26-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Evening, Hibbies (correct word and spelling I hope). An update on Tommy B here - https://www.chichester.co.uk/sport/football/bognor-midfielder-invited-back-for-another-trial-stint-with-hibs-after-impressing-ex-celtic-boss-neil-lennon-1-8719089
Look forward to Tommy returning & hopefully doing well enough to earn a contract 😊

LancsHibs
26-11-2018, 06:25 PM

Cheers for the update, why did you feel the need to mention that Lennon used to manage Celtic FC in the headline?

Hibbyradge
26-11-2018, 06:27 PM

I'm the same, but I think we've been wrong.

If we agree that Hubby is a "proper noun", the plural should be Hibbyradge.

https://grammarist.com/plurals/plurals-of-nouns-ending-in-y/

stevebone
26-11-2018, 07:02 PM
I didn't write the headline, nor the story, as I am on holiday this week.

Famous Fiver
26-11-2018, 07:07 PM
And here was me thinking it was a case of writers Block!!