PDA

View Full Version : Gascoigne

Dashing Bob S
19-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Those still playing the mental illness/disease of alcoholism card (not being pompous- have done so myself) must be finding it all a bit of stretch now.

Stuart93
19-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Horrible man, his exclusion from the hall of fame 100% correct

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2018, 04:40 AM
Taking Gazza out the equation for a moment: Playing the mental health card should not pass without comment.

With our game changer initiative, our managers admission of his own challenges, the see me initiative and those around suicide. Even closer to home Hibs.net thread on anxiety and depression.

Perhaps you could reconsider whether playing the mental health card is helpful.

As well as setting the tone for sartorial elegance :) you could consider setting a better tone for discussing mental health...

DetroitHibs
20-11-2018, 05:04 AM
Actually believe Gazza when he says he didn't sexually assault her. Keep in mind this is alleged, let's not tar and feather the guy before he's been convicted.

Future17
20-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Those still playing the mental illness/disease of alcoholism card (not being pompous- have done so myself) must be finding it all a bit of stretch now.

Really poor post for several reasons.

SirDavidsNapper
20-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Actually believe Gazza when he says he didn't sexually assault her. Keep in mind this is alleged, let's not tar and feather the guy before he's been convicted.

He probably can't remember

DetroitHibs
20-11-2018, 06:49 AM
He got convicted did he not

This he's just been charged. Only just happened.

Kojock
20-11-2018, 07:15 AM
This he's just been charged. Only just happened.

Incident occurred in August and he has been charged with one count of sexual assault by touching. What happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Onceinawhile
20-11-2018, 07:35 AM

But you're going to assume the person accusing him is a liar?

DetroitHibs
20-11-2018, 07:44 AM

I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm saying on the evidence shown, I think Gazza is telling the truth. So far all I've read is an accusation that he touched her. In the world we live in, brushing past someone can now be grounds for a sexual abuse allegation.

Ryan69
20-11-2018, 08:02 AM
We would be ****ed if some on here were incharge.
Maybe we could hang him now??

Whatever happened to innocent till PROVEN guilty?

linlithgowhibbie
20-11-2018, 09:42 AM
The police would have investigated, taken statements from witnesses and Gazza if he wished to comment.

CCTV would have been pulled and viewed.

After all that the BTP would have presented the evidence/ case to the Crown Prosecution service.

They decide if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, and if it is in the public interest to do so.

Having said that not everyone is found guilty of charges, so I suggest everyone on here waits for the result of the trial before hanging the guy.

PS I met him during the course of my work and was disgusted when his parting words were "No Surrender" shouted across a busy concourse in the

Waverley Station. Disliked him with a passion ever since.

Keith_M
20-11-2018, 09:52 AM
Not a big fan of Gazza but, as others have said, he's only been charged so far.

Tar and Feathers back in the cupboard for now.

Hibrandenburg
20-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Gazza is marmite. He's not the brightest star in the night sky but like a lot of extravagant personalities he's probably a laugh to be around if he's one of your mates but a pain in the erse if he's not. An exceptional footballer but an absolute welt of a human being. What's kept him afloat is the willingness of other celebrities to pack him under the arms and help him up, if found guilty then no one will touch him with a barge pole and self destruct is his default programming.

Pretty Boy
20-11-2018, 10:11 AM

I've always argued it's possible that there can be a middle ground with such allegations. There often seems a default setting among some that if there is no conviction then the woman is a 'liar'. I'd suggest it's entirely possible someone can genuinely believe they were a victim of sexual assault or rape even if no conviction is secured. I've mentioned before that I have a friend who made an allegation of rape against a man; he was found not guilty but the experience ruined her life and if she made the whole thing up then she's exceptionally committed to the lie given she has sacrificed friendships and her employment, attempted to end her life and still suffers from extreme anxiety when out in public all because of or relating to the incident.

It's a difficult situation as it often comes down to one persons word against another, circumstantial evidence and perhaps even personal boundaries. Sexual crime is so emotive though it can lead to extremely forceful opinions being formed, particularly as the outcome can be so devastating for either or both parties.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Your “belief” is based on nothing other than the kind of attention seeking comment typical of inadequates who troll a fans messageboard desperate for attention.

No one knows other than the people directly involved- end of.

One Day Soon
20-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Brilliant footballer, car crash human being.

kaimendhibs
20-11-2018, 11:38 AM
I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm saying on the evidence shown, I think Gazza is telling the truth. So far all I've read is an accusation that he touched her. In the world we live in, brushing past someone can now be grounds for a sexual abuse allegation.So you know more than the PF then. Just give him a bell and I'm sure he will drop the charges...

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
20-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Brilliant footballer, car crash human being.Seen him up close on and off the pitch during his time at Boston. Accurate description.

Innocent until proven guilty on this one though.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
20-11-2018, 11:52 AM
I've always argued it's possible that there can be a middle ground with such allegations. There often seems a default setting among some that if there is no conviction then the woman is a 'liar'. I'd suggest it's entirely possible someone can genuinely believe they were a victim of sexual assault or rape even if no conviction is secured. I've mentioned before that I have a friend who made an allegation of rape against a man; he was found not guilty but the experience ruined her life and if she made the whole thing up then she's exceptionally committed to the lie given she has sacrificed friendships and her employment, attempted to end her life and still suffers from extreme anxiety when out in public all because of or relating to the incident.

It's a difficult situation as it often comes down to one persons word against another, circumstantial evidence and perhaps even personal boundaries. Sexual crime is so emotive though it can lead to extremely forceful opinions being formed, particularly as the outcome can be so devastating for either or both parties.

Thanks for sharing your friend's experience it must be absolutely horrific for someone to first of all go through the trauma of the event and then a harrowing legal process. As you say the one word against the other tends to mean a very low conviction in these sort of cases.

Dashing Bob S
20-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Taking Gazza out the equation for a moment: Playing the mental health card should not pass without comment.

With our game changer initiative, our managers admission of his own challenges, the see me initiative and those around suicide. Even closer to home Hibs.net thread on anxiety and depression.

Perhaps you could reconsider whether playing the mental health card is helpful.

As well as setting the tone for sartorial elegance :) you could consider setting a better tone for discussing mental health...

My point is that mental health is a serious issue and shouldn’t be used as a free pass for anti social behavior. Most people with mental health issues are not sex offenders and are probably more likely to suffer abuse than perpetuate it. Conflating mental health issues and sex abuse is not helpful.

pollution
20-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Not a big fan of Gazza but, as others have said, he's only been charged so far.

Tar and Feathers back in the cupboard for now.

True. If it goes to trial by jury his previous will not help him.

How will any jury member not be swayed by photos of his ex wife?

I'm Spartacus
20-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Brilliant footballer, car crash human being.

Aye, how i've always viewed him. Super Ally loves to tell a Gazza story ... like a younger brother that laughs telling of the time his mentally ill brother ate his own 5hite.

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2018, 01:42 PM
True. If it goes to trial by jury his previous will not help him.

How will any jury member not be swayed by photos of his ex wife?Why would they be used as evidence?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

.Sean.
20-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Was there ever any truth that Mowbray tried to sign him for Hibs?

DetroitHibs
20-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Your “belief” is based on nothing other than the kind of attention seeking comment typical of inadequates who troll a fans messageboard desperate for attention.

No one knows others than the people directly involved- end of.

Attention seeking? Aye okay then you fool. I'm giving an opinion on a thread that someone else started.

CA Hibby
20-11-2018, 04:50 PM
I met Gazza a few times through work and spent some time in his company. I always felt he was timid, scared, shy whatever you want to call it and his acting out and being center of attention was his way to deflect. A sort of protection blanket. I felt when he was on the field he could be himself and was in his comfort zone. Not judging him or his character, just my opinion, but his actions through life I feel mirror how things have turned out

pollution
20-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Why would they be used as evidence?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The black eye he allegedly gave her might still be in the memory of one or more jury member.

It is bound to cloud their judgement, although it shouldn't.

CropleyWasGod
20-11-2018, 05:57 PM
The black eye he allegedly gave her might still be in the memory of one or more jury member.

It is bound to cloud their judgement, although it shouldn't.

The risk of that would be reduced by robust jury selection.

Ideally, any jury would have no knowledge of him or his past.

chrisski33
20-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Who cares about Gazza! Hes a lost cause whether hes guilty or not of this particular offence

Viva_Palmeiras
20-11-2018, 09:59 PM
My point is that mental health is a serious issue and shouldn’t be used as a free pass for anti social behavior. Most people with mental health issues are not sex offenders and are probably more likely to suffer abuse than perpetuate it. Conflating mental health issues and sex abuse is not helpful.

Thanks for your further explaination.

I think it can be more nuanced. There are some conditions that can (but not exclusively) combine/lead to mental health issues where “mind blindness” may impair ability to epathise, understand social cues, form and retain friendships. Problems can develop with self esteem and frustrations based around poor communication may result in behaviour that may be deemed “anti-social”. Although I imagine psexual abuse is not common.

pollution
21-11-2018, 12:37 PM
The risk of that would be reduced by robust jury selection.

Ideally, any jury would have no knowledge of him or his past.

Please explain how robust jury selection works in this case.

We also do not live in an ideal world.

CropleyWasGod
21-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Please explain how robust jury selection works in this case.

We also do not live in an ideal world.

I get that, but the ideal jury would never have heard of him. It's up to the 2 legal teams to try and ensure that is the case. I realise he's a well-known person, but there are many people out there who don't know of him, far less his exploits.

If there's any suggestion that jurors have a pre-judged opinion of the man, there are bound to be suspicions that he won't get a fair trial.

Keith_M
21-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Was it Gazza that p**ssed in the pockets of his Italian team mates' designer jackets in the changing rooms?

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Thanks for your further explaination.

I think it can be more nuanced. There are some conditions that can (but not exclusively) combine/lead to mental health issues where “mind blindness” may impair ability to epathise, understand social cues, form and retain friendships. Problems can develop with self esteem and frustrations based around poor communication may result in behaviour that may be deemed “anti-social”. Although I imagine psexual abuse is not common.

Without jumping too far into the abyss a genuine sufferer should expect care, if not sectioning. Or if such ‘Anti-Social’ behaviour persists, then a sentence in the long run anyway? Rather than another ticket for the Gazza express with your mates and a carry out?

Hibernia&Alba
21-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Clearly he's a very troubled soul, but it's possible he's also an obnoxious individual. He's done a lot of unpleasant things, though of course that isn't to pre-judge him with this particular allegation.

Hi Heid Yin
21-11-2018, 06:08 PM

No one knows others than the people directly involved- end of.

:agree::agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Unfortunately his headlines can still sell trash papers.

Itsnoteasy
22-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Who cares about Gazza! Hes a lost cause whether hes guilty or not of this particular offence

You must care.
You've taken the time to read & post!!!