PDA

View Full Version : Vote Ally Brazil (SHC I think)

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2018, 06:02 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/lothian-buses-people-s-champion-pick-your-driver-of-the-year-1-4831212

superfurryhibby
19-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Benny hasn’t changed much.

A fine servant to Hibs, gave everything he had every time he played.

I wonder if he minds being called Benny? It wasn’t that flattering a nickname.

c31
19-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Benny hasn’t changed much.

A fine servant to Hibs, gave everything he had every time he played.

I wonder if he minds being called Benny? It wasn’t that flattering a nickname.

His nickname was Benny since he was a wee laddie and is still called Benny now, also he's 60 in December which is frighting...

Nakedmanoncrack
19-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Vote cast.

Nakedmanoncrack
19-11-2018, 07:07 PM
His nickname was Benny since he was a wee laddie and is still called Benny now, also he's 60 in December which is frighting...

“My older brother gave us all nicknames when we were younger,” he *explains. John christened me Benny. “I had it before him!” Brazil, now 56, protests, when the character Benny from the ITV soap opera Crossroads is mentioned as possible inspiration. “But no, I don’t know how it came about.”

Lago
19-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Vote cast.
Me to, loved Benny.

wallpaperman
19-11-2018, 07:32 PM
I must have seen two thirds of Ally's game as I was at just about every home game and many aways during that period.

He always gave his all, wasn't the greatest player by a long shot, but I don't think he ever hid.

Then, as now, a scapegoat is always needed when things didn't go as planned, Ally used to get more flak than he deserved.

I remember he went to Hamilton from Hibs, but had no recollection he went to Forfar, let alone played 136 games.

weecounty hibby
19-11-2018, 08:01 PM
I must have seen two thirds of Ally's game as I was at just about every home game and many aways during that period.

He always gave his all, wasn't the greatest player by a long shot, but I don't think he ever hid.

Then, as now, a scapegoat is always needed when things didn't go as planned, Ally used to get more flak than he deserved.

I remember he went to Hamilton from Hibs, but had no recollection he went to Forfar, let alone played 136 games.
:top marksif some of those who had more ability than Benny had matched his commitment then we would have had no problems over the years.

Skol
19-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Am I right in remembering a league Cup tie where he took a knock to the head and went off with blood pouring out the wound.

He re-appeared about 5 mins later looking like Rambo with a big bandage on his heid and then proceeded to score a 25 yard raker.

erin go bragh
19-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Scored a hatrick against Celtic in a 6-3 win at ER . I remember back in the 80s at ER . Bennys lying on the ground holding his shin . Someone in the crowd shouts “get up Benny ,your playing them onside.
Benny screams back F off :)

One Day
19-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Vote cast.

Mine too

One Day
19-11-2018, 08:46 PM
:top marksif some of those who had more ability than Benny had matched his commitment then we would have had no problems over the years.

That's very true

Nakedmanoncrack
19-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Am I right in remembering a league Cup tie where he took a knock to the head and went off with blood pouring out the wound.

He re-appeared about 5 mins later looking like Rambo with a big bandage on his heid and then proceeded to score a 25 yard raker.

Skol Cup 1985, think the Rambo game was the Motherwell 6-1 win possibly.

SouthMoroccoStu
19-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Voted for Ally

Far better than the female driver the was going to fast and hit the ice!

Great recovery but could have been very very different

majorhibs
19-11-2018, 08:55 PM
This will be one for all the Brian Hamilton was good mob, mind the cup tie away to D Utd tight game, not a lot between sides, midway through 2nd half Utd punted in an innocuous ball, for reasons which will only ever be known to Benny, he jumps up with his man, & completely unnecessary proceeds to punch the ball away! 0-1 & out the cup when we should at least have had a home replay! Nae doubtin his commitment, but sometimes, like it or no, endeavour isnae quite enough. I mind plenty that had the whole crowd givin it “aw naw Benny”. Liked him mair than I ever did imposter Hamilton, right enough!

NthCarolinaHibs
19-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Scored a hatrick against Celtic in a 6-3 win at ER . I remember back in the 80s at ER . Bennys lying on the ground holding his shin . Someone in the crowd shouts “get up Benny ,your playing them onside.
Benny screams back F off :)
Manager Blackley was down South looking at a player that day,and when told that Benny had scored three goals ,Sloop asks , " Who for ?"
Great guy Benny,was in his class at school..

kaimendhibs
19-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Voted for Ally. Never did understand the slagging he used to take. Gave his all every game

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Smartie
19-11-2018, 09:32 PM
He was driving the number 36 I got to work on Friday morning, he quite often drives that route.

As a player he was before my time, but I remember him from football stickers. I do love a tryer, I love a character and I like to defend scapegoats so I'm pretty sure I'd have loved him.

And aside from all that, the story speaks volumes about the man. To get stuck in and try to help when many people would have frozen is to his credit. This will have been a horrendously traumatic experience for him, so to be back at his work the day after to serve the public is to his eternal credit.

Good for you Benny, hope you win.

heretoday
19-11-2018, 10:01 PM
He wasn't the worst player I've seen in a Hibs jersey.
Not by a long chalk.

SideBurns
19-11-2018, 10:08 PM
This will be one for all the Brian Hamilton was good mob, mind the cup tie away to D Utd tight game, not a lot between sides, midway through 2nd half Utd punted in an innocuous ball, for reasons which will only ever be known to Benny, he jumps up with his man, & completely unnecessary proceeds to punch the ball away! 0-1 & out the cup when we should at least have had a home replay! Nae doubtin his commitment, but sometimes, like it or no, endeavour isnae quite enough. I mind plenty that had the whole crowd givin it “aw naw Benny”. Liked him mair than I ever did imposter Hamilton, right enough!

Not doubting that Dundee Utd cup story (though I don't recall the game myself), but remember a SC replay v Utd at ER in season 81-82. Hibs were 1-0 up through Craig Paterson, when in the last minute Benny put the ball out for a corner with no-one anywhere near him. Utd equalised from it (might've been Billy Kirkwood?) and then won the second replay 3-0. Benny must've had the skin of a rhino to take the abuse he did, and apparently he's a great guy, but I must admit that I couldn't see what successive Hibs managers did in picking him every week!

Mick O'Rourke
19-11-2018, 10:29 PM
There will be a "Benny was gash" thread soon.

I liked Benny.
And "that" hat trick

Inconsequential
19-11-2018, 10:39 PM
I remember reading a newspaper article featuring Ally and his namesake Alan who were to play for Scotland's Under 21 side iirc. It was revealed at the time that both were great hopes of Scotland and of course highlighted the coincidence of the surname and that one was a defender and the other a striker. Ally Brazil also had a son called Alan who played as a professional in the lower leagues of Scotland.

superfurryhibby
19-11-2018, 10:45 PM

What’s the random dig at Brian Hamilton about? As with Benny, seen far, far worse than him and he made a significant contribution to one of only six cup we’ve won in our 143 year history. A strange world you inhabit.

I do agree though, endeavour isn’t enough or I would be at least as famous as Benny.

majorhibs
19-11-2018, 11:03 PM
What’s the random dig at Brian Hamilton about? As with Benny, seen far, far worse than him and he made a significant contribution to one of only six cup we’ve won in our 143 year history. A strange world you inhabit.

I do agree though, endeavour isn’t enough or I would be at least as famous as Benny.

As I said, imo Hamilton was an imposter as a player, I’ve said it on here many times, in a team with more than a few excellent performers Pat Mcginlay to name one, I think with a better performer than Hamilton, who was un-droppable to Miller, with a player there with for example half the quality of a Sauzee, then that team would have been winning much much more. But imo Hamilton was very poor, & let the team down. & as I am not deaf, I know at the time the majority of the crowd I was in amongst felt the same! Hibs fans in the 70s & 80s defo knew how to boo when they weren’t happy with what they were seeing!

Kojock
20-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Benny played under 6 Hibs managers and was always a first team regular. Not the most graceful of players but gave 100% every time he pulled on the jersey.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Not doubting that Dundee Utd cup story (though I don't recall the game myself), but remember a SC replay v Utd at ER in season 81-82. Hibs were 1-0 up through Craig Paterson, when in the last minute Benny put the ball out for a corner with no-one anywhere near him. Utd equalised from it (might've been Billy Kirkwood?) and then won the second replay 3-0. Benny must've had the skin of a rhino to take the abuse he did, and apparently he's a great guy, but I must admit that I couldn't see what successive Hibs managers did in picking him every week!

:agree:
The abuse Benny (and others) took back in those days from Hibs fans was shocking looking back, nobody has suffered anything like it in the modern era.

PatHead
20-11-2018, 07:48 AM
:agree:
The abuse Benny (and others) took back in those days from Hibs fans was shocking looking back, nobody has suffered anything like it in the modern era.

Colin Nish?

Hiber-nation
20-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Colin Nish?

No way. A few clowns in the old North Stand once started up a "Brazil must go" chant after Benny misplaced a pass. They were quickly threatened with a right doing if they kept it up.

Great lad Benny, used to play football with him in the park. Never thought he'd make it but just goes to show what hard work can do.

PatHead
20-11-2018, 08:00 AM
No way. A few clowns in the old North Stand once started up a "Brazil must go" chant after Benny misplaced a pass. They were quickly threatened with a right doing if they kept it up.

Great lad Benny, used to play football with him in the park. Never thought he'd make it but just goes to show what hard work can do.

I remember Benny playing for Hibs and the abuse he used to get. Joe Tortalano was another.

With regard to Nish he used to get pelters from the Famous 5 when he was a sub warming up. When he played it was even worse.

Don’t want to turn this into who was the most abused Hibs player though.

Hiber-nation
20-11-2018, 09:12 AM
I remember Benny playing for Hibs and the abuse he used to get. Joe Tortalano was another.

With regard to Nish he used to get pelters from the Famous 5 when he was a sub warming up. When he played it was even worse.

Don’t want to turn this into who was the most abused Hibs player though.

I agree. I just wanted to highlight how bad it was for Benny, never heard anything like it. As far as I remember a lot of fans never forgave him for needlessly putting the ball out for a corner that led to Dundee Utd scoring a late equaliser in a Cup replay.

PatHead
20-11-2018, 10:04 AM
I agree. I just wanted to highlight how bad it was for Benny, never heard anything like it. As far as I remember a lot of fans never forgave him for needlessly putting the ball out for a corner that led to Dundee Utd scoring a late equaliser in a Cup replay.
I remember that and coming from a family of Dundee Utd supporters that was even harder to take.

Phil MaGlass
20-11-2018, 10:41 AM
I was at the Utd game when he punched the ball away and the head bandage game, mmmm anyhoos, great character.

givescotlandfreedom
20-11-2018, 11:13 AM
I can't believe they had Benny driving buses the day after he tried to to resuscitate someone who passed away.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2018, 11:30 AM
We all know, despite Ally’s protests to the contrary, that the nickname Benny came from the lovable character from crossroads who shared the same characteristics. TV Benny wasn’t very bright and Ally’s decision making on field sometimes paralled those of his namesake.

I just wondered, the hat style now called “Beenie” seems to have evolved from the Benny hat, as favoured by the Crossroads star?

Also, does anyone remember people “ having a Benny”, ie; going radge? I assume the Crossroads Benny inspired this by occasionally shrugging of his gentle brick privy demeanour and turning hulk when necessity demanded it ( probably whilst protecting Miss Diane).

God, this being off work can be tedious at times.

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-11-2018, 11:50 AM
He's a yam as well 🙄

overdrive
20-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Obviously none of them drive either the 7 or 14. It is as if they save all the drivers that failed the customer service course for those routes.

Hiber-nation
20-11-2018, 01:26 PM
We all know, despite Ally’s protests to the contrary, that the nickname Benny came from the lovable character from crossroads who shared the same characteristics. TV Benny wasn’t very bright and Ally’s decision making on field sometimes paralled those of his namesake.

I just wondered, the hat style now called “Beenie” seems to have evolved from the Benny hat, as favoured by the Crossroads star?

Also, does anyone remember people “ having a Benny”, ie; going radge? I assume the Crossroads Benny inspired this by occasionally shrugging of his gentle brick privy demeanour and turning hulk when necessity demanded it ( probably whilst protecting Miss Diane).

God, this being off work can be tedious at times.

He was called Benny long before that character arrived in Crossroads.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Aye, so he says:wink:

GordonHFC
20-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Not many Hibs players can say they have scored a hat trick against Celtic though.

Jumbo
20-11-2018, 02:28 PM

That brings back bad memories, I’m sure it was the last minute he punched ball 😢

.Sean.
20-11-2018, 02:35 PM
He's a yam as well 🙄
Is he?

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-11-2018, 02:39 PM
Is he?

Yip, well known in his native Currie and I know a couple of bus drivers who know him have confirmed

Kojock
20-11-2018, 03:15 PM
Remember during one particularly poor Hibs performance, someone shouted, “This Hibs team play like Brazil........unfortunately its f@&£?!£ Ally and not the country.

Kojock
20-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Maybe he was called after Benny The Ball from Top Cat 🤷*♂️

WoreTheGreen
20-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Benny was a sound guy. There’s a story that goes George Best said Benny thought a “lay off” was a week in Spain

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2018, 07:48 PM
I can't believe they had Benny driving buses the day after he tried to to resuscitate someone who passed away.

It would have been left up to him to decide, far better going about your normal life than dwelling on what happened previously for some people including me.

Peevemor
20-11-2018, 07:51 PM
I had a few pals from Currie and the consensus was that Benny's a good guy (but definitely a lifelong Hearts supporter). He coached at Currie Hearts for a while.

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2018, 08:39 PM
I had a few pals from Currie and the consensus was that Benny's a good guy (but definitely a lifelong Hearts supporter). He coached at Currie Hearts for a while.

He’s a decent bloke, drinks in the bowls club at Currie sometimes,defo a Jambo.

WoreTheGreen
20-11-2018, 08:42 PM
The two big perms Benny & Willie Jamieson both bus drivers

Colr
20-11-2018, 09:21 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/lothian-buses-people-s-champion-pick-your-driver-of-the-year-1-4831212

I’d love to but it takes so long to get past all the pop ips, notifications and adverts on the crappy Evening News website that I can’t actually be arsed!

chinaman
20-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Colin Nish?

correct. big colin got pelters and got blamed for all our problems at the time

Colr
21-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Yip, well known in his native Currie and I know a couple of bus drivers who know him have confirmed

Used to always come to the gala football competition when I was a kid, talked to us and sign autographs.

Jim44
21-11-2018, 07:24 AM
I knew him as a laddie when I worked at Currie High School in the 70s. He was a tidy player then and I was chuffed he made the grade at Hibs.

c31
01-12-2018, 12:52 AM
Benny won it..👍

Nakedmanoncrack
01-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Well done Benny, success at last!

weecounty hibby
01-12-2018, 08:56 AM
Good for him!

AltheHibby
01-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Well deserved. 😁

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2018, 09:27 AM
There will be a "Benny was gash" thread soon.

I liked Benny.
And "that" hat trick

He was a bit before by time, but my dad always says the only things worse than Benny's fitba was his coupon :greengrin

PatHead
01-12-2018, 09:28 AM
He was a bit before by time, but my dad always says the only things worse than Benny's fitba was his coupon :greengrin

His perm was a belter.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2018, 09:30 AM
His perm was a belter.

Aye, I've seen the pictures. Shocking stuff :greengrin

weecounty hibby
01-12-2018, 09:30 AM
A bit unfair. We have had worse and definitely far less committed players than Benny! He was definitely no super model though.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2018, 09:33 AM
A bit unfair. We have had worse and definitely far less committed players than Benny! He was definitely no super model though.

Wasn't he a player who used to be a bit of a whipping boy for the crowd?

PatHead
01-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Wasn't he a player who used to be a bit of a whipping boy for the crowd?

Understatement. Made Colin Nish look like a pin up.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 09:45 AM
To the outsider looking in, some people would say that I have had a decent career in my chosen field.

I'd give large chunks of it away just to have one of Benny's many appearances for Hibs, over 200 was it not?

We should really show more respect to the select few who manage to achieve what many of us can only dream about.

Hibernia&Alba
01-12-2018, 09:51 AM
To the outsider looking in, some people would say that I have had a decent career in my chosen field.

I'd give large chunks of it away just to have one of Benny's many appearances for Hibs, over 200 was it not?

We should really show more respect to the select few who manage to achieve what many of us can only dream about.

I've never given a Hibs player pelters at a game, and hope I never will. All it achieves is breaking a player's confidence; nobody is bad on purpose. That said, we all have our opinions outside the ground, and I can name a number of players whom I hoped each game would be their last for us. I can't give an opinion on Benny's ability - just the perm :greengrin