PDA

View Full Version : Shan

vuefrom1875
18-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Some lassie on x factor with that handle...no bad but needs to change her agent....p.s.not my choice of viewing...the wife 😎😎😂😂😂

Joe6-2
18-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Some lassie on x factor with that handle...no bad but needs to change her agent....p.s.not my choice of viewing...the wife 😎😎😂😂😂

Aye, ok then ☺️

Silky
19-11-2018, 05:48 AM
Aye, ok then ☺️

Bit of a shan thread, really!

Here’s Lucy!
19-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Old Edinburgh word. :confused:

Probably not used nowadays.

Hibbyradge
19-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Spelt SIAN?

I know at least 2 women named Sian.

beensaidbefore
19-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Still used by me🤣

Wee Effen Bee
19-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Still used by me🤣
And me. What a shan thread😁

bodhibs
19-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Shan asf, love these type threads, random 👍

Liberal Hibby
19-11-2018, 06:38 PM
It could be worse I went into this chemist the other day near me for some painkillers

Hibbyradge
19-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Shan't.

pollution
19-11-2018, 06:48 PM
It's a city in Chine. With clay soldiers, Xian.

pollution
19-11-2018, 06:58 PM
It's a city in Chine. With clay soldiers, Xian.

China, even. French auto correct.

Jones28
19-11-2018, 07:24 PM
On this topic - was at Killie away last year and two lads in the Hibs end were having a right go at one another.

One was calling the other a bowtay (?) - what is that?

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 07:38 PM

It still is, by kids especially.

silverhibee
19-11-2018, 07:45 PM
That's pure Shan man.

Mick O'Rourke
19-11-2018, 08:04 PM

Kin ye "mang the cant"?
Shan is originally a romany/traveller word

Not specific to Edinburgh

Hibs were shan in their last home game

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Kin ye "mang the cant"?

That's true, Geordies also say 'Shan'.

Mick O'Rourke
19-11-2018, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=hibsbollah;5607691]That's true, Geordies also say 'Shan'.[/QUOTE

Was going to mention the NE of England
IIRC the character Jimmy Nail in the tv series auf wiedersehen pet used the word

Probably a recognition of his brickwork !

He also said gadgie a lot !!

I am 66 now, and this word and other romany/gypsy terms/words were not uncommon when i was a wee chavvy

Nakedmanoncrack
19-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Kin ye "mang the cant"?

:agree:

Loads of Scots words came from Romany, nash, peeve, hirie being just a handful of others.

linlithgowhibbie
19-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Loads of Scots words came from Romany, nash, peeve, hirie being just a handful of others.

I can mind nash, peeve and shan. What was hirie?

Can u mind chorey? ( verb to steal) and "Shottey" for "watch out" usually when the police were arriving!!!

Smartie
19-11-2018, 08:36 PM
I know a bloke called Shan, he's from Livingston originally. He spells it that way too.

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=hibsbollah;5607691]That's true, Geordies also say 'Shan'.[/QUOTE

Was going to mention the NE of England
IIRC the character Jimmy Nail in the tv series auf wiedersehen pet used the word

Probably a recognition of his brickwork !

He also said gadgie a lot !!

I am 66 now, and this word and other romany/gypsy terms/words were not uncommon when i was a wee chavvy

The excellent Geordie ale 'Radgie Gadgie' deserves a mention on this thread. Both words are also derived from Romany,which has its roots in various Hindi dialects and languages.

Peevemor
19-11-2018, 08:47 PM

Can u mind chorey? ( verb to steal) and "Shottey" for "watch out" usually when the police were arriving!!!

The same (chourer - to steal) word is used in French slang - it's definitely Romany in origine.

bodhibs
19-11-2018, 08:48 PM

Did Irvine Welsh not write about hiries? Never used it but always took it to mean cash

heretoday
19-11-2018, 08:55 PM
There's a family in Leith called Shan I think.

Mick O'Rourke
19-11-2018, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;5607701]

The excellent Geordie ale 'Radgie Gadgie' deserves a mention on this thread. Both words are also derived from Romany,which has its roots in various Hindi dialects and languages.

Indeed, the roots are Indian.
Had me thinking.
Over 30 yr ago i was working in Northampton.
My wifes brother and me were in a boozer called the King Billy (naw,no that one !

Group at the next table after we sat down proceeded to converse in the Cant.

I started to laugh a wee bit.
I understood near every word.
(bar a bit of accent/dialect)
Eventually got chatting and my brother in law later on sold them a caravan that was used on the building site he was the gaffer on.
They were travellers,of course.

I translated the negotiation.
Barry deal.

Montford
19-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Sha hoor...
hiries and lowie was always money
and Mort.. as in bird
“Barry deekin mort gadge”

Nakedmanoncrack
20-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Sha hoor...
hiries and lowie was always money
and Mort.. as in bird
“Barry deekin mort gadge”

Mort is a good one, deek is another.
Its amazing how many of these words are in use, but few probably recognise where they come from.

son of haggart
20-11-2018, 07:30 AM
My favourite Edinburgh book, from which I took my user name, is full of Romany derived words which were taken into slang.

It can be read here - it's an enjoyable romp and the report of his trial in the Scotsman is a hoot if you can find it . George Borrow refers to him in Lavengro - his Romany novel, though Haggart himself Ii don't think was of Romany extraction. I have an 1821 copy of the book which also has a phrenologist report which he allowed to happen while he awaited execution.

https://archive.org/details/b24930052/page/56

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Haggart,_David_(DNB00)

There's a glossary at the end full of the slang of the day

https://archive.org/details/b24930052/page/172

It includes words like 'kipping' for playing truant which we still used at porty school in the 60s/ 70s

...anyway Shan is out of the X Factor which just shows how crap the show is

vahibbie
20-11-2018, 09:10 AM
On this topic - was at Killie away last year and two lads in the Hibs end were having a right go at one another.

One was calling the other a bowtay (?) - what is that?

Might have been Bow-Tow, as in one who hails from Newhaven.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Might have been Bow-Tow, as in one who hails from Newhaven.

https://vimeo.com/116247684

surreyhibbie
20-11-2018, 03:37 PM
My favourite Edinburgh book, from which I took my user name, is full of Romany derived words which were taken into slang.

It can be read here - it's an enjoyable romp and the report of his trial in the Scotsman is a hoot if you can find it . George Borrow refers to him in Lavengro - his Romany novel, though Haggart himself Ii don't think was of Romany extraction. I have an 1821 copy of the book which also has a phrenologist report which he allowed to happen while he awaited execution.

https://archive.org/details/b24930052/page/56

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Haggart,_David_(DNB00)

There's a glossary at the end full of the slang of the day

https://archive.org/details/b24930052/page/172

It includes words like 'kipping' for playing truant which we still used at porty school in the 60s/ 70s

...anyway Shan is out of the X Factor which just shows how crap the show is

That is a very interesting read!

:thumbsup:

Here’s Lucy!
20-11-2018, 04:24 PM

Was 'nash' slang for hurry?

Peeve for drink?

Hiries was money, I think?

Santa Cruz
20-11-2018, 04:33 PM
My Dad and Uncle use the phrase murder polis which I have always taken to mean ultra shan. Now I say murder polis myself quite a lot but don't actually know the true meaning behind it, if it is unique to Edinburgh or where it's derived from... anyone able to enlighten me, so I can continue the family tradition and pass this phrase down the generations

Hibbyradge
20-11-2018, 04:37 PM
My Dad and Uncle use the phrase murder polis which I have always taken to mean ultra shan. Now I say murder polis myself quite a lot but don't actually know the true meaning behind it, if it is unique to Edinburgh or where it's derived from... anyone able to enlighten me, so I can continue the family tradition and pass this phrase down the generations

I think it's a more recent expression. Possibly off the telly.

Here’s Lucy!
20-11-2018, 04:50 PM

I think it's a more recent expression. Possibly off the telly.

It's not recent. My old mum used to say 'murder polis' years ago. She used it when she meant something was really horrendous.

s.a.m
20-11-2018, 05:08 PM
My grandparents (Lanarkshire, and they'd be about 120 if they were still alive) used to say it, generally as an kind of horrified exclamation.. As I remember, they used to say, "Murder polis - three stairs up!', and I have a vague memory of a longer version. I wonder if it was a popular song, or rhyme :dunno:

Edit: I've had a look, and the School of Scottish Studies has this recording, made in 1954:

http://www.tobarandualchais.co.uk/en/fullrecord/3810/9

Santa Cruz
20-11-2018, 05:53 PM
My grandparents (Lanarkshire, and they'd be about 120 if they were still alive) used to say it, generally as an kind of horrified exclamation.. As I remember, they used to say, "Murder polis - three stairs up!', and I have a vague memory of a longer version. I wonder if it was a popular song, or rhyme :dunno:

Edit: I've had a look, and the School of Scottish Studies has this recording, made in 1954:

interesting. Never heard the song. Thanks for the info.

WoreTheGreen
20-11-2018, 06:28 PM

I think Hector Nicol used that a lot

Nakedmanoncrack
20-11-2018, 08:57 PM
Was 'nash' slang for hurry?

Peeve for drink?

Hiries was money, I think?

beensaidbefore
20-11-2018, 09:32 PM
Is dingy, akin to slinging a deafie, an Edinburgh word? Or it used elsewhere?

Montford
20-11-2018, 10:15 PM
Is dingy, akin to slinging a deafie, an Edinburgh word? Or it used elsewhere?

Also hear it in fife.. to blank or ignore..
Ma mort was phonin us but I just dingied the call

sadtom
21-11-2018, 08:58 PM
I was told many years ago that 'radge' definitely had originated in the Romany community.
The most plausible root is that it came for the french word for rabies/rabid (rage/enrage).

Iggy Pope
21-11-2018, 09:21 PM
“Barry fir yer naggins gadgie” was something very pleasing indeed to oneself and the heid in any form.
“Radge” very definitely meant being off that heid in various forms. Fay Fife did it best. “Gauny go crazy, gauny go radge”.
“Murder Polis” is very much of the “Jings, Crivvens and Help Ma Boab” school of shouting about nothing at all.
Never choried this.

Babyshamble
21-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Ma laddie moved to Edinburgh 2 years ago for uni.uses the word Shan all the time 👍

Clarence
21-11-2018, 10:20 PM
I’ve always loved the word. It can be used in a very disparate set of circumstances. Two examples from my you:
“How’s Dave no comin oot tar play?”
“His Granny’s deid”
“Aw that’s shan”

Or

“What do you think of my new trainers, they’re Hi-tec?”
“Shan”

I was in Thailand for my honeymoon and I stumbled across a Shan village that had Shan people in it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shan_people

Babyshamble
21-11-2018, 10:44 PM
I’ve always loved the word. It can be used in a very disparate set of circumstances. Two examples from my you:
“How’s Dave no comin oot tar play?”
“His Granny’s deid”
“Aw that’s shan”

Or

“What do you think of my new trainers, they’re Hi-tec?”
“Shan”

I was in Thailand for my honeymoon and I stumbled across a Shan village that had Shan people in it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shan_people ma laddie favourite saying just now with anything he disagrees with...that's pure Shan patter 😂

Babyshamble
21-11-2018, 10:45 PM
I'm a fifer.lot of folk round my way use the word Barry.