PDA

View Full Version : England v Croatia

PatHead
18-11-2018, 01:17 PM
England should be 2 or 3 up already. Harry missed a couple of great chances.

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Stirling 1 on 1 as well. Notwithstanding the early scare for Pickford.

PatHead
18-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Pitch still looks like it is recovering from that American football match a few weeks ago.

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Stirling being ***** Stirling as ever.

ShetlandHibby
18-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Croatia looking pretty poor in possession. Struggling to keep the ball

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Listening to 5 live. We, us, our. A bit like listening to sportsound if the rangers are playing.

lord bunberry
18-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Listening to 5 live. We, us, our. A bit like listening to sportsound if the rangers are playing.
:tee hee::tee hee:

PatHead
18-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Half time. After a great opening twenty minutes England are now not great and game is very flat.

As things stand Croatia will be relegated to Group B.

Newry Hibs
18-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Almost as bad as the attempt at his name.

Callum_62
18-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Whats folks beef with Sterling?

Hes one of the most effective players in the EPL - consistently starts for the champions and is held in high regard by the best manager in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheReg!
18-11-2018, 02:14 PM
1-0 🇭🇷

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Oops. :greengrin

PatHead
18-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Awful defending. They need 2 goals or will be relegated.

Only themselves to blame.

Michael
18-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Hes one of the most effective players in the EPL - consistently starts for the champions and is held in high regard by the best manager in the world

Bit like the reaction to Andrew Shinnie. Always involved and tries a lot of stuff - some of which doesn't come off.

we are hibs
18-11-2018, 02:17 PM
England relegated unless they score 2. After all that laughing at germany being relegated Croatia are about to send them packing yet again

SChibs
18-11-2018, 02:17 PM

Exactly. Averaged a goal every other game for over a year now. He's just an easy target imo. People seem to have judged him already and are reluctant to change their view.

calumhibee1
18-11-2018, 02:22 PM

He’s a cracking player who seems to be “overrated” just because it’s became fashionable to say so.

In reality he’s one of the best wide men in the world.

PatHead
18-11-2018, 02:28 PM
He’s a cracking player who seems to be “overrated” just because it’s became fashionable to say so.

In reality he’s one of the best wide men in the world.

I think people think he is over-rated because the English media built him up so much before he was developed. The fee paid for him and his wages haven’t helped.

As far as one of the best in the world I can’t think of many games he has been “unplayable “. Give me Jimmy Johnstone any day.

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 02:32 PM

See the Dalgleish thread. Great club player, doesn't seem to transfer it to the international team.

PatHead
18-11-2018, 02:35 PM
1-1. Game on.

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 02:35 PM
England level, still relegated as it stands.

PatHead
18-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Harry Kane.

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Kane score. England going through

cleanyman
18-11-2018, 02:43 PM
What a team

Moulin Yarns
Sounds like a scrappy goal

Scouse Hibee
Get in Harry Kane

Michael
18-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Got a feeling Croatia have another goal in them.

Joe6-2
18-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Hope so

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a scrappy goal Soun

Poachers goal

Lago
18-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a scrappy goal Soun
They all count.

Moulin Yarns
18-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Poachers goal

Robbo would be proud 😉

Moulin Yarns
Balance of play, they deserve it.

blackpoolhibs

I hope not, England were a shade worse than evens. :wink:

we are hibs
18-11-2018, 02:52 PM
That's definitely made up for being pumped out the semi finals of the world cup.

calumhibee1
18-11-2018, 02:56 PM
I think people think he is over-rated because the English media built him up so much before he was developed. The fee paid for him and his wages haven’t helped.

As far as one of the best in the world I can’t think of many games he has been “unplayable “. Give me Jimmy Johnstone any day.

I don’t pay enough attention to English football to be able to pick out a specific game but his goals/assists the last couple of years speak for themselves.

superfurryhibby
18-11-2018, 02:57 PM
See the Dalgleish thread. Great club player, doesn't seem to transfer it to the international team.

His strike rate for Scotland and Liverpool are almost exactly the same, pretty much a goal every three games. Given that Scotland weren’t as consistently good as Liverpool then I would say that was pretty excellent.

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2018, 02:59 PM
That's definitely made up for being pumped out the semi finals of the world cup.

Narrow defeat after a great tournament where they over achieved.

Pointless to downplay their good achievements. Makes us look even more jealous.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2018, 03:01 PM

No but what it has done is build the confidence of an ever improving England team, along with the win against Spain it has given belief that they can compete with the bigger and better teams. Whether they can ever take that onto a bigger stage is debatable but it’s nothing but positivity for England in the Nations League.

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Good display by England, I've never been in the ABE camp or the kind to take the hump at English commentators, it seems a bit bitter and small-minded.

What I like about this team is their verve and energy. Lots of youngsters who just seem to enjoy playing football and trying to attack. They actually remind me of our team mid-2000s.

silverhibee
18-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Good that the Duchess of Sussex seems quite clued up about the England team..

BILLYHIBS
18-11-2018, 03:40 PM
I thought England got lucky today and Croatia badly missed Rakatic
but hey I had England, Kane anytime, btts, over 2.5 and most goals second half what’s not to like? 😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬
13/2

Hibbyradge
18-11-2018, 03:43 PM

And if we beat Israel, that'll make up for us not getting to the World Cup.

we are hibs
18-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Narrow defeat after a great tournament where they over achieved.

Pointless to downplay their good achievements. Makes us look even more jealous.

One of the easiest routes to a semi final ever. Got pumped 3 times at that tournament and only beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden in normal time. What an achievement.

And if we beat Israel, that'll make up for us not getting to the World Cup.

Like clockwork..

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Beef is that he is as big a cheat as you are likely to see on a football pitch.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Beef is that he is as big a cheat as you are likely to see on a football pitch.

He's not though is he, the biggest cheats are defenders, who kick, push and pull at their opponents all game every game.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2018, 04:08 PM
One of the easiest routes to a semi final ever. Got pumped 3 times at that tournament and only beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden in normal time. What an achievement.

Like clockwork..

Like clockwork....... oh the irony 😂

Hibbyradge
18-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Like clockwork..

Exactly what I thought of your bitter little comment. :faf:

I'm no England fan, but you must be in agony everytime they win. Which, as you know, is most of the time.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2018, 04:11 PM

I'm no England fan, but you must be in agony everytime they win. Which, as you know, is most of the time.

Aye just until it gets serious, then they dont. :wink:

Hibbyradge
18-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Aye just until it gets serious, then they dont. :wink:

Indeed so.

Unfortunately, we're exactly the same, except all our games are serious. :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 04:32 PM
He's not though is he, the biggest cheats are defenders, who kick, push and pull at their opponents all game every game.

Fair point. I give you Sergio Ramos.

wallpaperman
18-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Football's coming home getting pumped out over the PA at the end.

No it ****** didn't you planks.

Illegally taken England throw in as well for the equaliser. -:)

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Like clockwork..
Doesn't matter. They got there and done really well. This forum insisted Colombia would pump them. They got through that. Their fans had a brilliant summer. The ifs and buts are just jealousy because Scotland are hopeless.

The have topped a group with Spain and Croatia. Is it that difficult to just admit what is right before your eyes. They're a good side.

NAE NOOKIE
18-11-2018, 04:50 PM
I have over the years become somewhat removed from the ABE mentality, with it being replaced by mere ambivalence seasoned by mild amusement when the reality doesn't live up to the hype. Funnily enough IMO since the Brazil world cup the hype around England has become somewhat reigned back to a slightly more realistic outlook …. perhaps that's why getting to the last world cup semis was seen as such an achievement, when in reality the opponents despatched on the way were nations England would surely hope to beat way more than 50% of the time.

From a purely academic point of view there is one huge question surrounding the English national team which has to be answered. In terms of international football they are a seriously big fish … if football was like the UN security council they would be one of the five permanent members. But since the advent of international tournament football there have been 21 world cups and 15 European championships, meaning that out of 36 possible attempts England have won a tournament once and more to the point have only made one single solitary final and that was at home.

Discuss :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Doesn't matter. They got there and done really well. This forum insisted Colombia would pump them. They got through that. Their fans had a brilliant summer. The ifs and buts are just jealousy because Scotland are hopeless.

The have topped a group with Spain and Croatia. Is it that difficult to just admit what is right before your eyes. They're a good side.

Definitely are.

This ABE mentality is ridiculous and, as you say, smacks of jealousy from Scotland fans.

BILLYHIBS
18-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Looking at the bigger picture and what I have seen of all the possible opposition so far I do not see England’s position on the World or European maps under the tutelage of Darren Southgate changing anytime soon to use a Horse Racing term there will always be one too good.
ABE ! 😂

B.H.F.C
18-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Definitely are.

This ABE mentality is ridiculous and, as you say, smacks of jealousy from Scotland fans.

They are an improving side with potential to be a good side.

They aren’t a top side at international level yet and blew a huge chance at the World Cup when they couldn’t have hand picked a better route to the final.

Their two results in the last month certainly a show they are improving but let’s see how they do when it matters when the next tournament comes round.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Definitely are.

No it's not.

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 05:07 PM
No it's not.

Why is it not?

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 05:10 PM

They aren’t a top side at international level yet and blew a huge chance at the World Cup when they couldn’t have hand picked a better route to the final.

Their two results in the last month certainly a show they are improving but let’s see how they do when it matters when the next tournament comes round.

Yes, you make a couple of good points there. I can't argue with that.

Hiber-nation
18-11-2018, 05:16 PM
Why is it not?

You never heard of local rivalry??? I'll always want hearts and England to lose every game they play. To suggest it's jealousy is quite bizarre.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-11-2018, 05:18 PM
You never heard of local rivalry??? I'll always want hearts and England to lose every game they play. To suggest it's jealousy is quite bizarre.

Saved me typing it.

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 05:19 PM

I agree about Hearts, obviously. I do not however have this thing about England needing to be beat every time they play.

Each to their own I suppose. :aok:

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-11-2018, 05:24 PM
I agree about Hearts, obviously. I do not however have this thing about England needing to be beat every time they play.

Each to their own I suppose. :aok:

You must love all things england rammed down your throat by all the media..unless you are english.😏

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Definitely are.

This ABE mentality is ridiculous and, as you say, smacks of jealousy from Scotland fans.The ABE mentality is funny. I want them to lose but I'm not blind, they're really good.

Here’s Lucy!
18-11-2018, 05:27 PM
You must love all things england rammed down your throat by all the media..unless you are english.😏

No, not English.

I do agree with you however on the English media side of the argument, they are completely OTT.

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Some people have the ability to spit rather than swallow.

calumhibee1
18-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Potential to be a good side. They’re already a very good side.

Lago
18-11-2018, 05:58 PM

If it's not jealousy what is it then ?

B.H.F.C
18-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Disagree.

They’ve had a couple of good results in the nations league. They didn’t beat anybody of note at the World Cup despite getting as far as they did.

After the Euros is the time to judge them. If they go far they can perhaps be called a good side. But they haven’t achieved anything as a team yet. Certainly not enough to be getting labelled as a very good side.

They have half a chance at the Euros particularly with the semis and final being played at Wembley.

Scouse Hibee
18-11-2018, 06:04 PM

Rivalry, banter call it what you like it’s no big deal really, plenty of Scottish folk want England to do well, plenty don’t, it doesn’t bother me. As for the World Cup they did beat teams of note as getting there is actually making you a team of note. That’s why Scotland are very rarely there.

Lago
18-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Rivalry, banter call it what you like it’s no big deal really, plenty of Scottish folk want England to do well, plenty don’t, it doesn’t bother me.

If it is genuine banter/rivalry fair enough, it concerns me when it takes on an edge where a simple 'well done' is construed as something traitorous.

marinello59
18-11-2018, 06:11 PM

The English media have had a sense of realism for years now. Their sports journalists are no different from our own.

Hiber-nation
18-11-2018, 06:25 PM

I said it already. Not sure why I'm explaining this but wanting your team to do well doesn't necessarily mean you are jealous of your rivals who are doing well. Obviously I wanted England to lose every game when they were poor as well.

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2018, 06:29 PM
The English media have had a sense of realism for years now. Their sports journalists are no different from our own.

:agree:

There's this tired old trope that gets spouted out about how the 'English media' are this, that and the other.

It's rubbish and says more about the accuser than the accused.

All commentators tend towards the parochial, Marty Feldman made a great sketch out of it in the late 1960s. The trend of attacking commentators as being pro-English really took on a head of steam in the late 80s and the 90s and touched on a sense of grievance that some seem to carry, as a massive chip on their shoulder. Some folk seem like they need to hang onto it, maybe because they need to have someone bigger to resent?

Modern-day English football commentators and journalists are relatively balanced on the whole and a good few are quite ironic or humorous about it.

Still won't be enough to appease the ABE types though, which is a shame because Southgate's side are far from the finished article, but are sparky and exciting and as I said in an earlier post very reminiscent of the Mowbray tyros.

Lago
18-11-2018, 06:46 PM
I said it already. Not sure why I'm explaining this but wanting your team to do well doesn't necessarily mean you are jealous of your rivals who are doing well. Obviously I wanted England to lose every game when they were poor as well.
I've read & re read this & frankly it comes across as a bit Irish, if I'm allowed to use that term.:agree:

Iggy Pope
18-11-2018, 06:49 PM
I've read & re read this & frankly it comes across as a bit Irish, if I'm allowed to use that term.:agree:

Given how easily offended folks on here are about other stuff, well frankly, are you ****. And (quote) 'a wee smiley doesn't hide it' either!

hibsbollah
18-11-2018, 07:02 PM
This thread is so familiar. The same posters weigh in with the same tired prejudices, which are clearly linked to their political beliefs,every time the debate comes up.

If Scottish people want to support anyone but England, they should be allowed to, without this pompous superior nonsense about 'bitterness'. They are our historic rivals, it is the oldest rivalry in world football. If Scottish people a)want to support England, because they like the style of play, or b)are neutral about them, but enjoy their style of play, or c) would like to support them but despise the media, or d) support them because they have a weird fetish about Gareth's lovely little waistcoasts, it shouldn't bother anyone else one ****ing iota.

Callum_62
18-11-2018, 07:14 PM
:agree:

There's this tired old trope that gets spouted out about how the 'English media' are this, that and the other.

It's rubbish and says more about the accuser than the accused.

All commentators tend towards the parochial, Marty Feldman made a great sketch out of it in the late 1960s. The trend of attacking commentators as being pro-English really took on a head of steam in the late 80s and the 90s and touched on a sense of grievance that some seem to carry, as a massive chip on their shoulder. Some folk seem like they need to hang onto it, maybe because they need to have someone bigger to resent?

Modern-day English football commentators and journalists are relatively balanced on the whole and a good few are quite ironic or humorous about it.

Still won't be enough to appease the ABE types though, which is a shame because Southgate's side are far from the finished article, but are sparky and exciting and as I said in an earlier post very reminiscent of the Mowbray tyros.

Thats not how Luka Modric seen it after the semi

marinello59
18-11-2018, 07:16 PM
This thread is so familiar. The same posters weigh in with the same tired prejudices, which are clearly linked to their political beliefs,every time the debate comes up.

If Scottish people want to support anyone but England, they should be allowed to, without this pompous superior nonsense about 'bitterness'. They are our historic rivals, it is the oldest rivalry in world football. If Scottish people a)want to support England, because they like the style of play, or b)are neutral about them, but enjoy their style of play, or c) would like to support them but despise the media, or d) support them because they have a weird fetish about Gareth's lovely little waistcoasts, it shouldn't bother anyone else one ****ing iota.

Good to see you putting all your pompous prejudices on display with this post. :greengrin

hibsbollah
18-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Good to see you putting all your pompous prejudices on display with this post. :greengrin

Apart from the waistcoat thing, which ones do you mean?:greengrin

marinello59
18-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Apart from the waistcoat thing, which ones do you mean?:greengrin

The waistcoat thing was my favourite bit. Made me laugh. :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2018, 07:33 PM
The waistcoat thing was my favourite bit. Made me laugh. :greengrin

I liked the waistcoat thing. He's stopped wearing them now though.

Getting into winter and I'm keen to see his range of overcoats.

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Nah, it's bitter small-mindedness, pure and simple.

Self-realisation is a wonderful thing.

hibsbollah
18-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Nah, it's bitter small-mindedness, pure and simple.

Self-realisation is a wonderful thing.

I'm glad youve reached that point. :aok:

Lago
18-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Given how easily offended folks on here are about other stuff, well frankly, are you ****. And (quote) 'a wee smiley doesn't hide it' either!

Oh dear, well at my age I don't give a **** frankly. No wee smiley.

Iggy Pope
18-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Oh dear, well at my age I don't give a **** frankly. No wee smiley.

Me neither.....:wink:

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2018, 07:57 PM
I'm glad youve reached that point. :aok:

:greengrin

Love exchanging posts with you, in an ideal world we would talk it out more often.

Ideally, me, you and RyeSloan with a few drinks arguing what the world map looks like, or whether everyone should speak Spanish or whether we should build a bridge to the moon (and if we did was it publicly financed, privately financed or some hybrid PFI and if so why?)

Mibbes Aye
18-11-2018, 07:59 PM

Love exchanging posts with you, in an ideal world we would talk it out more often.

Ideally, me, you and RyeSloan with a few drinks arguing what the world map looks like, or whether everyone should speak Spanish or whether we should build a bridge to the moon (and if we did was it publicly financed, privately financed or some hybrid PFI and if so why?)

And JeMeSouviens - apologies, you always put up decent content and thought-out posts.

Lancs Harp
18-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Now now lads lets not have peace breaking out.

Very entertaining thread. :greengrin

One Day Soon
18-11-2018, 09:27 PM
I have over the years become somewhat removed from the ABE mentality, with it being replaced by mere ambivalence seasoned by mild amusement when the reality doesn't live up to the hype. Funnily enough IMO since the Brazil world cup the hype around England has become somewhat reigned back to a slightly more realistic outlook …. perhaps that's why getting to the last world cup semis was seen as such an achievement, when in reality the opponents despatched on the way were nations England would surely hope to beat way more than 50% of the time.

From a purely academic point of view there is one huge question surrounding the English national team which has to be answered. In terms of international football they are a seriously big fish … if football was like the UN security council they would be one of the five permanent members. But since the advent of international tournament football there have been 21 world cups and 15 European championships, meaning that out of 36 possible attempts England have won a tournament once and more to the point have only made one single solitary final and that was at home.

Discuss :greengrin

Cannot be bothered rehearsing the same old cold pish reheated from the World Cup on the subject of England, though there seems plenty of enthusiasm for it elsewhere on the thread.

Your post is a cracker though because to me the bit in bold is absolutely the question they should be asking and trying to answer. It is a spectacular level of underachievement for a nation of their size, quality of league and range of gifted players over the years. England fans should be raging about the failure to win more tournaments - or even get to finals - as much as we should be raging about failing to qualify for finals.

we are hibs
19-11-2018, 07:30 AM
Definitely are.

It's called football rivalry. Most on here don't know the meaning of it considering half them wanted hearts to win games last season.

You're no England fan yet you're on here defending them all the time? Lol. Just find it funny when England lose, like hearts. You obviously don't and buy into this "friendly neighbours let's all support each other guys!!!" Pish.

we are hibs
19-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Never said they weren't did I? They are vastly overrated. They managed 3 wins out of 7 games at the world cup and some on here were proclaiming them as the best footballing side since Brazil in the 70s. It's embarrassing. Don't know why you keep bringing Scotland up either, pretty sure everyone knows we are pish no one said otherwise. Scottish people laugh at England when they lose. Hibs fans laugh at hearts when they lose. What's the difference?

Albanian Hibs
19-11-2018, 07:40 AM

So because I want hertz/england to getting pumped in every game that means I am jealous of them?? 😂😂😂 Nah dinnae think so.

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Agree they have potential to be a good side but they are not already a very good side Brazil 1970 was a very good side.

MWHIBBIES
19-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Never said they weren't did I? They are vastly overrated. They managed 3 wins out of 7 games at the world cup and some on here were proclaiming them as the best footballing side since Brazil in the 70s. It's embarrassing. Don't know why you keep bringing Scotland up either, pretty sure everyone knows we are pish no one said otherwise. Scottish people laugh at England when they lose. Hibs fans laugh at hearts when they lose. What's the difference?
They were world cup semi finalists. Doesn't matter who they beat. 2 of the games they lost didn't matter. No one said they were Brazil of the 70's.

Nothing wrong with laughing at them losing, I do it as well. Being blind to them being good and just insulting them just makes you look daft.

superfurryhibby
19-11-2018, 07:55 AM
Agree they have potential to be a good side but they are not already a very good side Brazil 1970 was a very good side.

What’s the difference between good, very good, excellent, outstanding, superb, magnificent?

England are, by current standards, very good. As highlighted by results, they are capable of beating other tops sides. They do underperform at tournaments and that’s where it matters. Given the talent at their disposal they may well do so.

However, I reserve the right to be A.B.E and just to repeat what anyone who understands football already knows....it’s called sporting rivalry. It’s that simple.

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 08:48 AM
What’s the difference between good, very good, excellent, outstanding, superb, magnificent?

England are, by current standards, very good. As highlighted by results, they are capable of beating other tops sides. They do underperform at tournaments and that’s where it matters. Given the talent at their disposal they may well do so.

However, I reserve the right to be A.B.E and just to repeat what anyone who understands football already knows....it’s called sporting rivalry. It’s that simple.
I am ABE as well but very good at international level means bordering on excellent Brazil Holland Germany Italy and Spain at their best The OP is correct England have the potential to be a good side and they are far from the finished article if they ever get there to be fair to them they grind out results and their recent victories against Spain and Croatia have to be applauded I remember their WorId Cup semi versus Croatia for long spells they could not get the ball off them and struggled to get the ball out of their own half and resorted to hoof ball to ease the pressure I am convinced if Rakitic had played yesterday Croatia would have had the quality to pick off England on the counter attack but fair dos to them they beat the World Cup finalists a win is a win but not in the cavalier style of Brazil Holland or that other great seventies side Turnbulls Tornadoes 😁
ABE

NORTHERNHIBBY
19-11-2018, 09:03 AM
One thing that you can say about England just now is that they play the game in that way that you want to see it done. Almost beyond belief that they Allardice in change not that long ago. I also get the impression that Southgate can manage expectations , including those held in the media.

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 09:12 AM
And JeMeSouviens - apologies, you always put up decent content and thought-out posts.

Likewise. Actually, I think our new world orders wouldn't be a million miles apart. It's the tactics to get there we disagree most on. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 09:13 AM
I see Liverpool's long throw in coach (yes, they really have one!) paid dividends.

PatHead
19-11-2018, 09:14 AM
I see Liverpool's long throw in coach (yes, they really have one!) paid dividends.

I thought he was just a throw in coach rather than long throws?

SirDavidsNapper
19-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Anyone but Hearts
Anyone but Rangers
Anyone but England

Usually in that order depending on the circumstances

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 09:18 AM

I think you're right but long throws are his specialty - he claims the world record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45405476

Green Man
19-11-2018, 09:42 AM
I used to be in the ABE camp, mainly due to two factors: the English media, and the English players. The media used to annoy me with their constant crowing about England; often you’d get 2 minutes into a World Cup match between Switzerland and Mexico and you’d have the commentators talking about England. The papers would be full of hype about England. I no longer pay attention to the papers, so I don’t know if they have toned down the hype, but it doesn’t bother me.

On the pitch, there were always some England players who I disliked - with the the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard in the side it was good seeing them lose. Nowadays I barely know half the England team, so don’t have that dislike for them. And when their keeper is the wee boy from This Is England, you can’t really wish ill on him.

I still have the rivalry where it’s good fun seeing England lose, but it’s nothing more than that. Gareth Southgate seems like a decent guy who has done well to prove himself as England manager after his penalty miss all those years ago, so I’ve got respect for him. Credit where it’s due, he’s got a young team playing good football and that should be applauded.

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 10:02 AM
I used to be in the ABE camp, mainly due to two factors: the English media, and the English players. The media used to annoy me with their constant crowing about England; often you’d get 2 minutes into a World Cup match between Switzerland and Mexico and you’d have the commentators talking about England. The papers would be full of hype about England. I no longer pay attention to the papers, so I don’t know if they have toned down the hype, but it doesn’t bother me.

On the pitch, there were always some England players who I disliked - with the the likes of Terry, Lampard, Gerrard in the side it was good seeing them lose. Nowadays I barely know half the England team, so don’t have that dislike for them. And when their keeper is the wee boy from This Is England, you can’t really wish ill on him.

I still have the rivalry where it’s good fun seeing England lose, but it’s nothing more than that. Gareth Southgate seems like a decent guy who has done well to prove himself as England manager after his penalty miss all those years ago, so I’ve got respect for him. Credit where it’s due, he’s got a young team playing good football and that should be applauded.
Agree with this but still in the ABE camp
I thought I was alone or perhaps just getting old or have no interest in English football but I too have never heard of some of the England squad

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 10:09 AM

It's a lot more than just chucking it long. But if you have the ability to chuck it long, you create more space the opposition need to defend. This is a great site, when you think 12 minutes of the 90 are spent dealing with throw in situations it's amazing there isn't more attention given to it.

http://trainingground.guru/articles/thomas-grønnemark-liverpool’s-throw-in-guru

PatHead
19-11-2018, 10:24 AM
It's a lot more than just chucking it long. But if you have the ability to chuck it long, you create more space the opposition need to defend. This is a great site, when you think 12 minutes of the 90 are spent dealing with throw in situations it's amazing there isn't more attention given to it.

Agree it is a great threat to have. I assume that he will work on defending throws as well?

Wish we had one as we very rarely take advantage of throw ins.

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 10:39 AM
Agree it is a great threat to have. I assume that he will work on defending throws as well?

Wish we had one as we very rarely take advantage of throw ins.

Good point. It makes sense to do so, so i bet he does have tactics for defending them as well. It's always been a weakness for Hibs, Gronnemark is a freelancer so there's no reason why we couldn't hire him or someone like him? Sarri had 33 different prearranged throwin moves at Napoli the players had to learn, and why not?

timewilltell
19-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Not a good side? Goodness, where does that leave us?

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Not a good side? Goodness, where does that leave us?
Recent results show they are a good side but a very good side no not just yet.
As for Scotland?
Ask me Wednesday 😂

IGRIGI
19-11-2018, 12:05 PM
I'm in the ABE camp, nothing to do with England, everything to do with the smugness of "Scottish" people who decide to pretend to support England and declare it to the world as if they are a level above.

Since90+2
19-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Recent results show they are a good side but a very good side no not just yet.
As for Scotland?
Ask me Wednesday 😂

Your criteria for a very good side must be very high. England are probably in the top 6 or 7 sides in the world at the moment.

Keith_M
19-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Why is it not?

It's called rivalry, e.g. Anyone But Hearts.

Northernhibee
19-11-2018, 12:44 PM
I'm in the ABE camp, nothing to do with England, everything to do with the smugness of "Scottish" people who decide to pretend to support England and declare it to the world as if they are a level above.

It's incredible, it appears everyone in the ABE camp say it's "nothing to do with England". I hope they've all convinced the person they've been trying to :agree:

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Your criteria for a very good side must be very high. England are probably in the top 6 or 7 sides in the world at the moment.
Yip it is high sorry!
Very good sides win trophies
They play exciting entertaining attractive attacking football
Have superstar household names in every position
Pele called it the beautiful game for a reason
England grind out results
In the last World Cup England picked the easiest route to the last four and had a club spirit about them but that spirit was not good enough
Harry Kane looked as though he was not fully fit in the latter stages of the tournament
Very good sides do not rely on one player
Their recent results are to be applauded against Spain and Croatia but I still cannot see them winning any major tournaments anytime soon

JXM73
19-11-2018, 12:50 PM
ABE for me... sporting wise i hope they lose at everything, but no to the extent of waving other nations flags etc...that's pathetic..just dont care enough... and non football i dont care about scottish representatives either...

Lago
19-11-2018, 01:01 PM
So because I want hertz/england to getting pumped in every game that means I am jealous of them?? 😂😂😂 Nah dinnae think so.

Yeah I think so.

Lago
19-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Great post, well thought out constructive comments, agree with all you say.

superfurryhibby
19-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Yip it is high sorry!
Very good sides win trophies
They play exciting entertaining attractive attacking football
Have superstar household names in every position
Pele called it the beautiful game for a reason
England grind out results
In the last World Cup England picked the easiest route to the last four and had a club spirit about them but that spirit was not good enough
Harry Kane looked as though he was not fully fit in the latter stages of the tournament
Very good sides do not rely on one player
Their recent results are to be applauded against Spain and Croatia but I still cannot see them winning any major tournaments anytime soon

That’s a wee bit narrow in terms of qualifyin* criteria Billy.

The Dutch of 74 and 78 are widely recognised as having been a top quality side, they won nothing. Platini’s French side and the Brazil side of 1982 were both tremendously talented failures.

Equally there have been sides that have won tournaments that could never be regarded as playing entertaining, attractice, attacking football. Several German World Cup winning sides, The Greek and Danish Euro winning sides spring to mind ( keep in mind that the Danes won three games to win the tournament).

You can only beat what’s in front of you, etc, etc. This England team has potential to win a tournament, it would be daft to deny the possibility.

Still A.B.E forever and finding it bizarre that some people on here don’t recognise sporting rivalry. I don’t hate them, nor do I hate Hearts/ Hun, but I nearly always want them to lose. What’s the difference?

Ps: I wanted Hearts to win the 98 cup final, mostly because my only Jambo mate is a good lad...there, I’ve said it

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 02:58 PM
We've obviously been over this a million times but ... it's our problem not theirs. We need our own media so we can watch world cup games between Holland and Brazil and spend the whole game talking about Gemmill & Narey. :wink:

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 03:00 PM

The Dutch of 74 and 78 are widely recognised as having been a top quality side, they won nothing. Platini’s French side and the Brazil side of 1982 were both tremendously talented failures.

Equally there have been sides that have won tournaments that could never be regarded as playing entertaining, attractice, attacking football. Several German World Cup winning sides, The Greek and Danish Euro winning sides spring to mind ( keep in mind that the Danes won three games to win the tournament).

You can only beat what’s in front of you, etc, etc. This England team has potential to win a tournament, it would be daft to deny the possibility.

Still A.B.E forever and finding it bizarre that some people on here don’t recognise sporting rivalry. I don’t hate them, nor do I hate Hearts/ Hun, but I nearly always want them to lose. What’s the difference?

Ps: I wanted Hearts to win the 98 cup final, mostly because my only Jambo mate is a good lad...there, I’ve said it

Line crossed! :grr::wink:

Smartie
19-11-2018, 03:06 PM

I remember watching them in the cup final the year before with a few hun friends from school. It's probably the only game I've ever watched in their company when we all wanted the same team to win.

The "36 years in a row" stuff was great fun back then, I was gutted when they won a trophy.

Here’s Lucy!
19-11-2018, 03:07 PM
It's called rivalry, e.g. Anyone But Hearts.

Yeah, I get the Anyone but Hearts bit, but don't get the ABE bit except when Scotland are playing them.

I definitely do get Anyone but Celtic however!!

superfurryhibby
19-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Line crossed! :grr::wink:

It was a one off thing, influenced by the start of my own personal summer of love.

Just to balance it, I have never actively wanted England to win at football, but I wasn’t sweating too much when they had the chance to make the final this world cup past.

superfurryhibby
19-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I get the Anyone but Hearts bit, but don't get the ABE bit except when Scotland are playing them.

What’s the difference? We don’t play Hearts every week. Genuinely interested to know. As for Celtic they can generally GTF too.

I suppose our personal sporting prejudices are just that, all a matter of personal taste. As far as I care, anyone can support who they like.

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 03:14 PM
It was a one off thing, influenced by the start of my own personal summer of love.

Just to balance it, I have never actively wanted England to win at football, but I wasn’t sweating too much when they had the chance to make the final this world cup past.

I was just about to become a father, we'd just been relegated and then that happened. What sort of irresponsible idiot brings a child into that sort of world. :rolleyes:

One Day Soon
19-11-2018, 03:36 PM

That is a staggering statistic.

We unfailingly look like it is the first time we have encountered throw-ins every time one happens. Unless it's in a position for the Efe long throw.

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 03:43 PM
That is a staggering statistic.

We unfailingly look like it is the first time we have encountered throw-ins every time one happens. Unless it's in a position for the Efe long throw.

My other favourite stat from that source is only 4% of corners result in goals from that sequence of play, so it's irrational for fans to clap and cheer when our team wins one. It's more statistically useful to retain possession with a simple pass to a teammate in that area of the pitch, than it is to win a corner from it.

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2018, 03:44 PM
My other favourite stat from that source is only 4% of corners result in goals from that sequence of play, so it's irrational for fans to clap and cheer when our team wins one. It's more statistically useful to retain possession with a simple pass to a teammate in that area of the pitch, than it is to win a corner from it.

Thank god you never got that stat through to Fraser Fyvie in 2016!

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 04:01 PM

Yeah you got me there!
I was thinking of the current good solid England side and my idea of a very good international side that is easy on the eye to watch and play fast flowing arrractive football
The Dutch side of Cryuff and the Brazil of Socrates both played exciting attacking cavalier football and you are correct they won nothing
I seem to remember the excellent Platini inspired French side winning the European Championship
A direct recent comparison would be the victorious Pogba inspired French team winning the World Cup as compared to Southgates somewhat pedestrian English side
What I am trying to say is if the current English side were playing in my back garden I would go over and close the curtains
I also take your point on board that boring teams also win tournaments I would also like to add the Czech Republic and Portugal to your list and perhaps you are correct England could add themselves to that list by grinding technically superior teams down to their level.
Looking back on 1998 I too had a slight preference for a Hearts win but only because of family members and a severe hatred for Der Old Hun.
Anyone but The Rangers Hearts or England

An English colleague was up in Inverness watching England playing during the last World Cup and could not believe the anti English vibe he was feeling and asked me if we want everyone to win but England I said “ Yes, pretty much!” :greengrin

hibsbollah
19-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Thank god you never got that stat through to Fraser Fyvie in 2016!

:agree: There's lies, damn lies and Liam Henderson to deluverrrr:top marks:gwa::flag:

Here’s Lucy!
19-11-2018, 04:06 PM
What’s the difference? We don’t play Hearts every week. Genuinely interested to know. As for Celtic they can generally GTF too.

I suppose our personal sporting prejudices are just that, all a matter of personal taste. As far as I care, anyone can support who they like.

The difference for me is that I don't see why I should hate England just because I am Scottish. I followed Hibs in particular, and all football in general, when I was wee. I loved watching the big English games on the TV, loved a lot of the players so, just because they pull on an England shirt, I'm not going to start disliking them or wanting them beat.

For example, if England were playing say, Japan or USA or France or Peru, why would I make preference to any of these nations over a set of players I watched week in, week out?

As you say though, personal taste is king here!

Anyway, Hearts and Celtic can GTF, with Rangers in the same boat!!!

Smartie
19-11-2018, 04:16 PM
I like England the country and I really like a large number of their people. In the summer of 1998 I had a girlfriend from Leeds who I had met on holiday so I was up and down the road to see her very regularly, and I was welcomed with open arms.

There is a side to England that I don't like (see the rise of the right, Brexit, fannies chucking garden furniture around when they get to major finals and Cliff Richard for evidence) but it is far from representative of the nation as a whole. The best of England is as good as you get anywhere, sadly the worst are also as bad as you get.

So I like the country, I like most of the people, and for most of their games I'm fairly ambivalent as to whether or not they win, much the same as I am about every country other than Scotland.

I absolutely, passionately, 100% hope they never win any trophies in my lifetime. It would be hell if they did. I'm happy enough to have got to 41 without having to witness it and at every major tournament I'll be happy enough for them to progress so far (in order to keep it interesting) but to fall bit short of actually winning anything.

Sadly I think they will win something within 10 years, as they've put all the building blocks in place to be successful and will reap the rewards of that in years to come. It's overdue, but they've got their act together in a big way.

Here’s Lucy!
19-11-2018, 04:20 PM
I like England the country and I really like a large number of their people. In the summer of 1998 I had a girlfriend from Leeds who I had met on holiday so I was up and down the road to see her very regularly, and I was welcomed with open arms.

There is a side to England that I don't like (see the rise of the right, Brexit, fannies chucking garden furniture around when they get to major finals and Cliff Richard for evidence) but it is far from representative of the nation as a whole. The best of England is as good as you get anywhere, sadly the worst are also as bad as you get.

So I like the country, I like most of the people, and for most of their games I'm fairly ambivalent as to whether or not they win, much the same as I am about every country other than Scotland.

I absolutely, passionately, 100% hope they never win any trophies in my lifetime. It would be hell if they did. I'm happy enough to have got to 41 without having to witness it and at every major tournament I'll be happy enough for them to progress so far (in order to keep it interesting) but to fall bit short of actually winning anything.

Sadly I think they will win something within 10 years, as they've put all the building blocks in place to be successful and will reap the rewards of that in years to come. It's overdue, but they've got their act together in a big way.

Superb!!

That's more or less what I've been trying to say. :aok:

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Excellent post!

What do you feel about the biased English commentators or the constant references to 1966 or talking about England’s next game when we are about to watch or during a game from a totally different group or is that one of the reasons why you never want them to win anything in your lifetime as we will never hear the end of it and it will be time for us all to do a sharp brexit!!!

Hibbyradge
19-11-2018, 05:12 PM
It's called football rivalry. Most on here don't know the meaning of it considering half them wanted hearts to win games last season.

You're no England fan yet you're on here defending them all the time? Lol. Just find it funny when England lose, like hearts. You obviously don't and buy into this "friendly neighbours let's all support each other guys!!!" Pish.

Nope. I don't defend England and I can't think of a time that I didn't want them to lose.

I just don't think there's any need for your jealousy and bitterness.

You're entitled to make your remarks, and I'm absolutely certain that you will, but folk like me are entitled to tell you that it makes you look like you've got a massive childish chip on your shoulder.

By the way, England didn't lose so I'm not sure what you found funny.

Hibrandenburg
20-11-2018, 08:32 AM
I can only speak for myself but I'd say I've been conditioned to support ABE. Growing up in the sixties and seventies we had the home international league that was played out annually, a bit like the 6 nations rugby. With very few exceptions, if Scotland were going to win it, then England had to lose it. It wasn't that long after they'd won the World Cup so take all the hyperbole you get in the media now and multiply it by a million. Because we played them on an annual basis the rivalry was intense and this was back in the day where travelling abroad to follow your team was reserved for the fortunate few, so a biennial trip to Wembley was for many the highlight of the football calendar. Beating England our largest and oldest rival was immensely satisfying and losing was always followed up by condescending media bias for the following 12 months.

Add to that my time in the army was spent in the Royal Signals where Scots made up about 13% of the numbers with a few Welsh and Irish thrown in the mix but the overwhelming majority were English. Now bear in mind I'm talking about blokes I considered to be my family or at least friends, until one or the others team was playing then the rivalry went into overdrive and God forbid our teams were actually playing against each other. Winning or losing would set the tone in the workplace until the next time, probably similar to going back to work in Edinburgh after a derby. There's no way on this earth I wanted anything other than England to get whipped at every opportunity. Do I hate them? No of course not, but I do want to see their sporting teams humiliated at every level. C'mon ABE.

Keith_M
20-11-2018, 08:57 AM

We'll just have to agree to disagree then, as I don't see the difference

One Day Soon
20-11-2018, 09:25 AM
I can only speak for myself but I'd say I've been conditioned to support ABE. Growing up in the sixties and seventies we had the home international league that was played out annually, a bit like the 6 nations rugby. With very few exceptions, if Scotland were going to win it, then England had to lose it. It wasn't that long after they'd won the World Cup so take all the hyperbole you get in the media now and multiply it by a million. Because we played them on an annual basis the rivalry was intense and this was back in the day where travelling abroad to follow your team was reserved for the fortunate few, so a biennial trip to Wembley was for many the highlight of the football calendar. Beating England our largest and oldest rival was immensely satisfying and losing was always followed up by condescending media bias for the following 12 months.

Add to that my time in the army was spent in the Royal Signals where Scots made up about 13% of the numbers with a few Welsh and Irish thrown in the mix but the overwhelming majority were English. Now bear in mind I'm talking about blokes I considered to be my family or at least friends, until one or the others team was playing then the rivalry went into overdrive and God forbid our teams were actually playing against each other. Winning or losing would set the tone in the workplace until the next time, probably similar to going back to work in Edinburgh after a derby. There's no way on this earth I wanted anything other than England to get whipped at every opportunity. Do I hate them? No of course not, but I do want to see their sporting teams humiliated at every level. C'mon ABE.

Your first para was absolutely where I used to be. Then I just stopped caring about how they did. Now I'm happy for all the home nations to do well, I just wish we could get back to regular qualification.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2018, 09:52 AM

I grew up in the same era as you and I understand exactly what you say. I've never actively wanted England to win, but I'm not particularly bothered when they do. That's quite a good position to take given that they win most of the time. 😉

Rivalry is fine, but it's when it spills over into hatred, spite and bitterness that I take exception. I'm certain that that you don't hate England, but it's quite clear that some people do.

We've only played them 4 times this century, and we don't really compete with them for anything, so any rivalry that exists is pretty minimal and it's largely one way as they see Germany and Argentina as their main rivals.

Lithuania, who we've played 8 times in the same period, are much more of a realistic rival than England. Or even Norway. Played 6 won 2, lost 2, drawn 2.

I'll stop this tangent right now. :greengrin

we are hibs
20-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Nope. I don't defend England and I can't think of a time that I didn't want them to lose.

I just don't think there's any need for your jealousy and bitterness.

You're entitled to make your remarks, and I'm absolutely certain that you will, but folk like me are entitled to tell you that it makes you look like you've got a massive childish chip on your shoulder.

By the way, England didn't lose so I'm not sure what you found funny.

You clearly defend England at any opportunity you get so that's a blatant lie :hilarious

You clearly have a massive childish chip on your shoulder every time you post something derogatory about hearts.

And btw I am still laughing like **** about them singing about "football coming home" in the summer before being humiliated in the semi finals and told to go home empty handed by Croatia. Maybe if they weren't so arrogant and deluded they wouldn't be laughed at so much when they regularly and spectacularly bottle it as they always do.

Lago
20-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Jeezo this has been done to death, same old arguments recycled time after time.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2018, 05:02 PM
You clearly defend England at any opportunity you get so that's a blatant lie :hilarious

You clearly have a massive childish chip on your shoulder every time you post something derogatory about hearts.

And btw I am still laughing like **** about them singing about "football coming home" in the summer before being humiliated in the semi finals and told to go home empty handed by Croatia. Maybe if they weren't so arrogant and deluded they wouldn't be laughed at so much when they regularly and spectacularly bottle it as they always do.

No, I don't defend England.

I criticise people for posting over the top bitterness and hatred. Often it's stuff that they'd never have the courage, or stupidity, to say to an English person.

The truth is, you're not even attacking England so there's nothing to defend even if I wanted to. You're just posting your hatred and exposing the fact that it absolutely tortures you when they win.

Crack on though. Get all your grudges out on hibs.net everytime they play, win, lose or draw.

It must give you a nice wee break from all the hilarity that you're still getting from England getting knocked out of the WC semi-finals.

Here’s Lucy!
20-11-2018, 05:06 PM

I criticise people for posting over the top bitterness and hatred. Often it's stuff that they'd never have the courage, or stupidity, to say to an English person.

The truth is, you're not even attacking England so there's nothing to defend even if I wanted to. You're just posting your hatred and exposing the fact that it absolutely tortures you when they win.

Crack on though. Get all your grudges out on hibs.net everytime they play, win, lose or draw.

It must give you a nice wee break from all the hilarity that you're still getting from England getting knocked out of the WC semi-finals.

I'm with you, Hibbyradge :aok:

I just don't get this either.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2018, 05:07 PM

Tbf, you don’t need to be English to object to hatred.

I’m fully ABE, totally commited to independence and I would also be deeply unimpressed by any anti English sentiment expressed in my company.

There is a huge difference between revelling in another football team’s failures and being a bigot.