PDA

View Full Version : Rate Hibs' Summer Signings So Far

Hi Heid Yin
16-11-2018, 08:22 PM
A wee piece in todays Evening News - rating (out of 10) all our summer signings.
I thought the ratings were fair and not far off my own.
Here are both The Evening News' and my own ratings (in bold and in brackets)
Feel free to give your own

Adam Bogdan.........7 (8)...a solid keeper after an initial few flutters

Mark Milligan..........7 (8)...a quality player when played in midfield, but significantly less effective when played at the back (come one Neil, what are you thinking!)

Daryl Horgan..........6 (6).. a dynamic player who started off brilliantly - a wee duracell bunny (like Murray previously), but has become a bit of a headless chicken (cruel I know) - with little end product.

Jamie Maclaren.......5 (4).. The season to date has all but been a write-off for an undeniably gifted wee poacher - He will hopefully be like a new signing when up to speed and match-fit again

Stevie Mallan..........6 (7).. I give him a seven purely because of his knack of scoring long-range goals - making him a permanent threat... but his overall play is suspect and has much to improve on

Thomas Agyepong...4 (2)..His time at Hibs appears to be passing him by and he has yet to impact

Emerson Hyndman..5 (4)..a bitty player with odd moments of skill, but on the whole has been fairly ineffective

Florian Kamberi.......6 (7)..There is so much more to come from this undeniably brilliant target man...He has carried the front line too often with little support and has missed his Maclaren partnership.

Charalampos Mavrias and Miquel Nelom have not been rated because of their lack of game time.

Conclusions:

I guess it's clear why we are currently sitting in 8th league position and a mere shadow of the side of last season(especially the second half of last season)

Too many of our summer signings have simply not delivered to the level Neil Lennon and our club hoped they would or could.
To be fair, maybe that is too much of an ask after losing McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

Mitigating circumstances for the team are: too much chopping and changing by Neil as he tries to find the right balance and blend, as well as injuries to key players and a few suspensions.

I will not blame the international breaks, as every SPL team faces the same problem of stop-start, stop-start

calumhibee1
16-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Bogdan - 7 - if it hadn’t been for a ropey-ish start I’d probably have gave him an 8. To be honest he’s probably unlucky not to be getting that anyway.

Milligan - 7 - in midfield he’s been an 8, at the back a 6 or 7.

Horgan - 5 - bright start but hasn’t done enough since.

Maclaren - 4 - goal against Aberdeen aside he’s offered very little and also missed a lot of games

Mallan - 7 - his goals have probably got him sitting up at a 7. Hopefully see an improvement in the rest of his game as the season goes on or at least him getting back amongst the goals.

Agyepong - 2 - pretty non existent. Did look bright when he came on in a home game, can’t remember who though?

Hyndman - 2 - not offered anywhere near enough.

Kamberi - 6 - expected a wee bit more but he’s still scored a few. By all accounts he’s playing with an injury which may well be hampering him a bit.

All in all not a great window with an average rating for the signings of 5/10. Probably similar to the previous seasons summer window. Must do better in January or we could find ourselves in a battle for top 6 which quite simply should not be happening.

jacomo
16-11-2018, 08:45 PM
A few weeks ago we were in 2nd place in the league. Now we are 8th.

Our true level is somewhere in between - but the unknown is how much more this team has to give.

Tbh consolidation after last season would be a good result (finishing 4th two seasons in a row - who’d have thought?) but the problem is that it’s all boom or bust with Hibs fans.

I wish people would calm down and accept that the odd bump along the way is ok if the general direction is positive. We’ve had a bit of a bad run but this is when the team need our backing.

horseflesh
17-11-2018, 09:07 AM
It’s been such a weird stop/start season, Maclaren is still a bit of full match sharpness IMO. Injuries to Flo and Agyepong have really hurt as well.
These players are definitely quality though and I have no doubts they will be flying soon

hibsbollah
17-11-2018, 09:08 AM
It’s been such a weird stop/start season, Maclaren is still a bit of full match sharpness IMO. Injuries to Flo and Agyepong have really hurt as well.
These players are definitely quality though and I have no doubts they will be flying soon

Loving the username by the way, time bandits reference? :greengrin

As to the OP, Bogdan and Milligan are positions we've need strengthened for a long time and are the clear standout window signings.

EH54
17-11-2018, 11:00 AM
I don't think Milligan is a bad player at the back either tbh. That's where he plays for Australia, It's just that we really need him in midfield. He would be in ahead of Porteous and Mcgregor at the back if we had a decent midfield. Cracking player whether at the back or midfield.

Bogdan is the best goalkeeper we've had in years, really impressed with him. Distribution, coming for crosses, shot stopping. Delighted.

Kamberi is a quality striker for our level, and is only going to get better.

Maclaren been dissapointed with him so far but hopefully after a run of games he finds his feet again.

Horgan, had high hopes for him but looks like a headless chicken.

Agyepong decent wee player, needs to stay fit.

Hyndman has something, looks like he could be a good midfielder, too inconsistent though and needs a bit more fire in the belly.

Stevie Mallan, great set pieces and striker of the ball. Always a threat think he would be better, or we could accomodate him more if he was playing with someone better in midfield than he has been. Milligan, Mallan and another. Someone that can graft, put themselves about and play too. Not easy to find.