PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose never to have become a football fan would you do so?

G B Young
15-11-2018, 04:46 PM
A few questions with which to pass the time with during yet another dull international break...

Does anyone ever wonder what their lives would have been like if they'd never got into football? Have you invested too much passion in Hibs at the expense of other, arguably more fulfilling things? Do the highs of supporting Hibs really outweigh the many lows? Have you ever felt that being a football fans was actually impacting on your health? Has anyone actually 'quit' being a football fan and become happier as a result?

Bostonhibby
15-11-2018, 04:50 PM
No chance, I'd have no mates, or lifelong friends to be exact, being a Hibby is for life.

Iggy Pope
15-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Slow thread week.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Slow thread week.

:greengrin

Choose Hibs.

lord bunberry
15-11-2018, 04:58 PM
I really hate international breaks.

Here’s Lucy!
15-11-2018, 05:00 PM
:nlgwa

IGRIGI
15-11-2018, 05:01 PM
No, I'd hate to be that weirdo that says they are not into football and then have a grand total of 0 conversation topics.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2018, 05:11 PM
I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the kind of emotions that I felt at roughly 4:50pm on 21st May 2016.

It's emotions like that which can only be brought on by supporting a football team and I wouldn't swap that day for anything. It makes all the bad experiences of following Hibs all worthwhile.

The 90+2
15-11-2018, 05:17 PM
No, I'd hate to be that weirdo that says they are not into football and then have a grand total of 0 conversation topics.

It’s full of them at my work to be fair :)

Is it Hearts or Hibs you like again, lad? 😡😡😡

Here’s Lucy!
15-11-2018, 05:18 PM
I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the kind of emotions that I felt at roughly 4:50pm on 21st May 2016.

It's emotions like that which can only be brought on by supporting a football team and I wouldn't swap that day for anything. It makes all the bad experiences of following Hibs all worthwhile.

:top marks

Keith_M
15-11-2018, 05:21 PM
And the weird thread of the week award goes to...

MWHIBBIES
15-11-2018, 05:27 PM
I'd probably be much happier.

Definitely wouldn't do it though.

wookie70
15-11-2018, 05:31 PM
I think its a bit like parenthood. So much tedium, hard work and disappointment but with a sprinkling of moments that can't be replicated by anything else. I doubt I'll ever feel like I did walking out of Hampden that day. Even typing those words sent shivers down my spine. It was amazing but boy did we put the miles in to deserve that. I can't imagine life without Hibs and I often think about moving abroad or to the Western Isle etc but Hibs are the stumbling block.

Forza Fred
15-11-2018, 05:34 PM
I couldn’t imagine life without Hibs.

Even though I am at the other side of the world they are in my thoughts every day.

Here’s Lucy!
15-11-2018, 05:43 PM

It's still better than watching Scotland play though. :wink:

SChibs
15-11-2018, 05:46 PM
I reckon I'd be a lot better off financially if I didn't like football

Weir07
15-11-2018, 05:48 PM
A few questions with which to pass the time with during yet another dull international break...

Does anyone ever wonder what their lives would have been like if they'd never got into football? Have you invested too much passion in Hibs at the expense of other, arguably more fulfilling things? Do the highs of supporting Hibs really outweigh the many lows? Have you ever felt that being a football fans was actually impacting on your health? Has anyone actually 'quit' being a football fan and become happier as a result?

Funny, I have thought about this from time to time, every time Hibs play, I'm either at the game or worse, getting regular updates from my phone, your weekend made with a win, the edge taken off it with a defeat. Mostly under achievement in the 40 odd years I've followed the club, three trophy wins that I've seen, pretty abject in Europe and too many periods when Hearts have been in the ascendancy. Would life have been easier and less stressful if I had never been into football? Maybe but it’s not just the 90 minutes, it's part of your life, checking .net on a daily basis, a pint with your mates before the game, the excitement of a new signing, relief when a bad season is over, then desperate for a game two weeks later! I probably would have lost touch with my two school friends years ago if it wasn't for football and I really enjoyed taking my nephew to his first game when he was about eight, getting season tickets together and him thanking me for making him a Hibby after the Scottish Cup win, about 20 years later.

So if I had my time over again, I'd still be a football fan and it'd still be Hibs!

Bishop Hibee
15-11-2018, 06:05 PM
With both my close and extended family all being Hibs daft there was never any doubt I’d be s Hibee and a fan of football in the wider sense. The lows have made the highs even better.

As for those who aren’t football fans, of which I know many, they’re missing out.

tartanhibee
15-11-2018, 06:28 PM
I wasn’t going to back after the 2013 cup final having first went to ER in 1983. I was done with all the disappointment and had a young family, a good friend of mine told me that hibs weren’t a tap that you could just turn off he told me they were part off who I was, and wether I went or not I wouldn’t be able to just forget about them.

He was absolutely right and I tried not to go as much in 2013/14 but I still thought about hibs all the time and couldn’t just turn them off god that season I wish I could off.

I still go now every week with my son and enjoyed that day in May along with everyone else. I think in answer to the op I don’t know I’d be doing if I wasn’t a football fan Id possibly have hair and never experienced every raw emotion known to man in one single day.

A big thanks to my mate you know who you are.

Baader
15-11-2018, 06:49 PM
No. And I'm generally a bit distrustful of men who don't like football!

G B Young
15-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Friend of mine was a highly promising swimmer when he was younger. We're talking really outstanding here and he was tipped as a future Olympian. However, he found the commitment required too much and ultimately ended up focusing on his twin passions of Dundee United and drinking. He now says he genuinely regrets his choice not to make the most of his talent and says he can't believe he thought it was more important to watch football (not surprising perhaps in light of United's decline in recent years!).

I wonder how many sporting stars of the future have been lost to their respective sport due to their love for a football team.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-11-2018, 07:11 PM
No. Was always a Hibby and just as well coming from 5 generations of Leithers although following Hibs wasn’t forced upon me. It was 17 when I first attended a game at ER.

things just clicked. It was only when my wife said recently “you found your tribe” that is hit me - that was exactly it. By 19 my mum and dad had passed respectively. Coming in late to attending live matches I didn’t realise just how much Hibs had become a part of me. Until then.

In the April my father died - 2 and 1 days after my birthday and sisters birthday.
Later that same year Hibs were threatened with extinction. I surprised myself at just how much the club meant to me.

So now once bitten, the bug could never envisage not supporting a team but specifically my team - Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
15-11-2018, 09:31 PM
No, born a football supporter and will die one.

hibbydog
15-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Aye.

And 21/05/16 wouldn’t have meant so much if we didn’t have to go through the wringer umpteen times to get there.

GGTTH

heretoday
15-11-2018, 10:55 PM
I didn't have much choice since my dad was a footballer and mad keen.
The only other sport that captured the imagination early on was cricket but that took a back seat as soon as August rolled round.

NAE NOOKIE
16-11-2018, 12:15 AM
Its a question I have pondered on from time to time:

Would I have been financially better off? almost certainly …. would I have spared myself a lifetime of mostly incredibly frustrating moments as Hibs and Scotland failed to do what I wanted them to? definitely. Would my life have been made a lot simpler for being spared the angst of two wives and a long term partner who ranged from being totally ambivalent to the beautiful game to a barely disguised hatred of it and who never could understand my loyalty to my team and love of the game? almost certainly.

But for all of that you cant put a price on the friends I have made through my love of Hibs and football in general. You cant put a price on some of the absolutely brilliant times I have had following Hibs. You certainly cant put a price on the whole weekend of the 2016 Scottish cup final, not even the worlds richest man could buy it, because you had to live through decades of pain to pay for it :greengrin

No … on my tombstone it will say 'Here lies Nae Nookie, thank you Lord for making me a Scotsman, thank you lord for making me a Hibby' :saltireflag

CMurdoch
16-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Its a question I have pondered on from time to time:

Would I have been financially better off? almost certainly …. would I have spared myself a lifetime of mostly incredibly frustrating moments as Hibs and Scotland failed to do what I wanted them to? definitely. Would my life have been made a lot simpler for being spared the angst of two wives and a long term partner who ranged from being totally ambivalent to the beautiful game to a barely disguised hatred of it and who never could understand my loyalty to my team and love of the game? almost certainly.

But for all of that you cant put a price on the friends I have made through my love of Hibs and football in general. You cant put a price on some of the absolutely brilliant times I have had following Hibs. You certainly cant put a price on the whole weekend of the 2016 Scottish cup final, not even the worlds richest man could buy it, because you had to live through decades of pain to pay for it :greengrin

No … on my tombstone it will say 'Here lies Nae Nookie, thank you Lord for making me a Pailmerk, thank you Lord for making me a Scotsman, thank you lord for making me a Hibby' :saltireflag

Sorted that for you :aok:

The 90+2
16-11-2018, 01:05 AM

Pishy cold nights at Dundee or Falkirk made it what it was. The greatest single moment in most our lives. I wouldn’t swap that moment for anything ever. Nothing.

superfurryhibby
16-11-2018, 09:04 AM
I went to my first Hibs game in 1971 and I still get a thrill of anticipation everytime I enter Easter Road. All my friends are Hibs fans, my parents and grandfather were too, as are my three boys. Football has given me so much pleasure and pain ( like the superfurryladies) and I can’t imagine what my life would have been without it.

Whilst I generally like sport, only watching Andy Murray win at Wimbledon has come close to what I feel when watching the Hibs.

lyonhibs
16-11-2018, 09:36 AM
I can't imagine not supporting a football team. My bank account would probably say otherwise, but **** it, you can't take it with you.

Pretty Boy
16-11-2018, 10:00 AM
I reckon football, or more specifically Hibs, played a massive part in the break up of a long term relationships I had. In fact there's no reckon about it, it was the key factor. I went through a spell of not missing Hibs games for pretty much anything. I refused to attend a wedding with my then partner because it clashed with an away game at Fir Park, I missed the birthday party of a mutual friend because Hibs were away at Kilmarnock on the same day and any family events she invited me to on a Saturday just didn't happen. It was embarrassing for her having to make excuses for and try to explain my behaviour. She also had to deal with the mood swings when Hibs got beat and I sulked on a Saturday night and was insufferable in company. The truth is I did care for her but I love Hibs and she was acutely aware of that. It's not something I'm particularly proud of but at the time it's how I felt. In recent times I've become far less intense about Hibs. I still essentially insist we don't make any plans for days Hibs are at home but away games are a luxury now. Life moves on and other things start to matter more.

In many ways I could argue I'd be happier if I had never taken an interest in Hibs and I'd probably have a more varied list of interests and hobbies. On the flip side I'd never have experienced the highs of March 07 and May 16, I'd not have made the friendships I've made through supporting Hibs and I'd never have seen some of the places I have. I don't really care much about football on the whole but Hibs, or any club someone supports, are so much more than that to me. It's part of my identity and part of who I am. Would I have chosen to do things differently? Quite possibly. Knowing all I know would I have chosen never to have been a Hibs fan at all? Definitely not, best decision I ever made.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2018, 10:34 AM
I reckon football, or more specifically Hibs, played a massive part in the break up of a long term relationships I had. In fact there's no reckon about it, it was the key factor. I went through a spell of not missing Hibs games for pretty much anything. I refused to attend a wedding with my then partner because it clashed with an away game at Fir Park, I missed the birthday party of a mutual friend because Hibs were away at Kilmarnock on the same day and any family events she invited me to on a Saturday just didn't happen. It was embarrassing for her having to make excuses for and try to explain my behaviour. She also had to deal with the mood swings when Hibs got beat and I sulked on a Saturday night and was insufferable in company. The truth is I did care for her but I love Hibs and she was acutely aware of that. It's not something I'm particularly proud of but at the time it's how I felt. In recent times I've become far less intense about Hibs. I still essentially insist we don't make any plans for days Hibs are at home but away games are a luxury now. Life moves on and other things start to matter more.

In many ways I could argue I'd be happier if I had never taken an interest in Hibs and I'd probably have a more varied list of interests and hobbies. On the flip side I'd never have experienced the highs of March 07 and May 16, I'd not have made the friendships I've made through supporting Hibs and I'd never have seen some of the places I have. I don't really care much about football on the whole but Hibs, or any club someone supports, are so much more than that to me. It's part of my identity and part of who I am. Would I have chosen to do things differently? Quite possibly. Knowing all I know would I have chosen never to have been a Hibs fan at all? Definitely not, best decision I ever made.

This. Strongly identify here and thank you for your honesty. I've loved a few women, most slightly less, but a couple slightly more than I do Hibs. The second two have obviously been the most lasting. It might seem a bit sad but I don't regret loving Hibs either more or less than those people. It's just where one happens to find oneself at that particular given point in time. No right or wrongs to it. In fact I'm retrospectively glad Hibs wrecked some romances it would have been boring to be with the same person year after year. It's a short life and nice to experience multiple relationships throughout it. So thank you Hibs, for stopping me for getting too tied down in a rut when it wouldn't have been good for me.

I've managed to pursue quite a few other interests/obsessions, often through the friends I've made at ER, so it's been as enabling as it has been limiting. More importantly, I've made friends from all walks of life, and football is one of the few places that offers that. Many of my closest friends just wouldn't have been friends at all without Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2018, 10:44 AM

:top marks

I can relate to this.

Pretty Boy is describing Billyhibs here.

Ever since I saw the green strips with the white sleeves running out under the the famous high pylon floodlights reflecting off the green grass to a 40000 crowd back in 1968 I have been hooked

Hibs are my team my life they are me.

Without doubt I would be financially better off without my love of HIBS

My decisions regarding attending HIBS games home and away at the expense of family events have left my nearest and dearest scratching their heads but safe to say over the years they have become used to it.

Some may describe it as an addiction a habit or selfishness on my part but it is part of my very being part of who I am it is difficult to explain only a true Hibby would understand

My youngest attended his first Cup Final in the rain sleet and snaw of March 2007 and thought that HIBS winning cups was the norm?

Little did he know.

My daughter was pissed that me and my two sons swerved her Birthday bash on 21st May 2016 to attend the Cup Final at Hampden. Her actual birthday was the 24th. It was a no brainer to us but try explaining that to her that it was a win win situation ��

I don’t know what I would do without HIBS?

Looking back over the last fifty years I would have it no other way.

lyonhibs
16-11-2018, 10:47 AM

When I think of my prioritisation early on in my relationship with my now wife, it makes me cringe.

Binned off a weekend that had her traveling through from Glasgow because it was the East Stand's last hurrah. Left her to sleep at a friend's in EDI after passing out and missing 13 calls from her after a 12 hour derby day session. Those 2 are the highlights, but there's doubtless more.

Fortunately I snapped out of that pronto, but still the purest elation I've ever felt was at the final whistle on 21.05.2016.

Kojock
16-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Remember the Hibs are for life not just for Christmas.

One Day Soon
16-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Outstanding post.

Love the highlighted part. Fir Park FFS, that's serious commitment!

I made my wife get straight off a knackering flight back from Boston to come to the 2007 Cup Final with me. Literally from plane to supporter's bus to Hampden. Not sure if that says she's a star, or that I'm a selfish git, or both.

In answer to the original question, no. Apart from anything else 21 May 2016 with my wife, son and daughter and all our friends at the Cup Final was easily one of the most affirming experiences of my life. There's very, very little I'd swap that for. My son and daughter will have that forever, long after I'm gone.

HoboHarry
16-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Some brilliant stories on here. My American bride to be had only been in Scotland for a couple of months when we played Dunfermline for the Skol Cup. We watched it at my best mans house with me and my Golden Retriever dog both wearing Hibs tops and my wife thinking it was a normal thing for Hibs to win cups......

WhileTheChief..
16-11-2018, 11:48 AM

I know right.

Next week it will be Should Hibs wear maroon or ground share with Livi or similar.

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2018, 12:21 PM
I dunno Pretty Boys post made this thread worthwhile imho

🤔

One Day Soon
16-11-2018, 12:30 PM
I dunno Pretty Boys post made this thread worthwhile imho

🤔

:agree:

SRHibs
16-11-2018, 12:32 PM
I might be alone in this, but I really don’t have much interest in football. I can appreciate a quality goal, or a slick passage of play, but if it’s not Hibs playing then I’m not particularly interested.

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2018, 12:36 PM
What about hold up play and the amount of touches a player has in a game regardless of how many goals he may or may not score? 😁

NAE NOOKIE
16-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Sorted that for you :aok:

To be fair mate I don't know if I qualify as a genuine 'pailmerk' because I wasn't born in Gala. I don't mind though, there are worse places to live, we even have trains and a Wetherspoons now :greengrin

Iggy Pope
16-11-2018, 01:41 PM
I might be alone in this, but I really don’t have much interest in football. I can appreciate a quality goal, or a slick passage of play, but if it’s not Hibs playing then I’m not particularly interested.

You should get your CV into BBC Sport. Pundit written all over you!

SirDavidsNapper
16-11-2018, 03:21 PM

I'm with you. If it's not Hibs i'm not that bothered.

Here’s Lucy!
16-11-2018, 04:05 PM

What a fabulous post.

Ozymandias
16-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Some brilliant posts on the thread.
Sharing the emotion of the final whistle alongside my son on 21/5/16 was - and probably will remain - up there as one of the most intense and unique feelings I'll ever have. We've talked about it a few times - we think that it is an emotion that just won't be able to be repeated by many sports fans anywhere, ever. The history, the expectation, the nature of the winner and the way the match played out, after for both of us (and I'm sure the majority on the .net) years of paying dues at Brechin, Brockville and Boghead resulted in an emotion that even now is kind of undefinable. I love the fact that it is a common bond between people I'll never meet, and I wouldn't walk back those emotions for anything.

Absolutely loving football helps of course, and as someone said earlier, I don't really trust people, especially men, who don't like football. I just can't see how anyone can't.

Football has defined a lot of my life - which also has in it a fantastic family, various jobs and other interests, but it has shaped who I am and the friends I have and a lot of the good times I've enjoyed.

Watching Hibs I reckon has cost me in (at today's prices) well north of £100,000 for tickets, travel, beer etc. I also worked out that with watching Hibs, playing, coaching, refereeing, watching my children, and going to random games I've actively had the equivalent of around 780 full 24 hour days directly involved in football in some way. I suspect that is a conservative figure. I wouldn't change any of them, even the ones that were bad because it made the good ones better.
Fitba'? Love it.

G B Young
16-11-2018, 06:47 PM

The kind of response I was digging for...

I've also missed a wedding (possibly two come to think of it) due to it clashing with a Hibs match and there's much in your post which I think many will identify with.

As I get older there's no question my commitment has diluted significantly. Would I now travel from Montrose (where I was working at the time) to Airdrie on my own via public transport for a midweek mid-table league match? Not a chance (we got beat 2-0 by the way) but at the time it seemed an entirely reasonable thing to do.

But to walk away altogether, even if it would in theory remove a layer of stress/worry that has dogged me most of my life...I just don't think it would be possible. Members of my family have been going to watch Hibs since the 1920s so there was never much doubt which team I would follow (though to be fair to my dad and grandpa there was never any real pressure put on me to do so) and as you say supporting Hibs is about more than just being a football fan. It's something that runs much deeper.

I think I'd have to move a long way from Edinburgh to have any chance of unshackling myself. When you've spent significant chunks of your life in other towns and cities where Hibs mean very little you realise that you could walk around for days oblivious to the Hibs score should you choose to do so. However, what I've tended to do at such times is make my support for Hibs as widely known as possible (spreading the gospel if you like). Back in those days the distance probably made me more fanatical! Whether that would be the case these days I'm not so sure.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-11-2018, 04:28 PM
The kind of response I was digging for...

I've also missed a wedding (possibly two come to think of it) due to it clashing with a Hibs match and there's much in your post which I think many will identify with.

As I get older there's no question my commitment has diluted significantly. Would I now travel from Montrose (where I was working at the time) to Airdrie on my own via public transport for a midweek mid-table league match? Not a chance (we got beat 2-0 by the way) but at the time it seemed an entirely reasonable thing to do.

But to walk away altogether, even if it would in theory remove a layer of stress/worry that has dogged me most of my life...I just don't think it would be possible. Members of my family have been going to watch Hibs since the 1920s so there was never much doubt which team I would follow (though to be fair to my dad and grandpa there was never any real pressure put on me to do so) and as you say supporting Hibs is about more than just being a football fan. It's something that runs much deeper.

I think I'd have to move a long way from Edinburgh to have any chance of unshackling myself. When you've spent significant chunks of your life in other towns and cities where Hibs mean very little you realise that you could walk around for days oblivious to the Hibs score should you choose to do so. However, what I've tended to do at such times is make my support for Hibs as widely known as possible (spreading the gospel if you like). Back in those days the distance probably made me more fanatical! Whether that would be the case these days I'm not so sure.

Heading to Murrayfield soon? 😉