PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Winter transfer thread - repetitive discussion only (hardly any transfer news)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Sioux
16-01-2019, 01:59 PM
It’s amazing how hard folk are trying to discredit people’s opinions.

There are opinions based on some logical thought process and there are 'opinions' that are just a bunch of words. For example; "I think the earth is flat." No logical thought process whatsoever. And then such a comment is to be regarded as fact, and not to be analysed because; "That is my opinion and I am entitled to it."

Prosecution Counsel; "I think he killed her. Case closed"
Defence Counsel; "I think someone else did. Case closed."

Judge; WTF?

:greengrin

Inconsequential
16-01-2019, 02:06 PM
How I yearn for the era in football when the first you knew about a signing was on the back page of the daily rag. What will be will be. Too much information and most of it inaccurate in this day and age.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2019, 02:06 PM
I find it unbelievable in this day and age that some folk still believe a word that comes out of any managers mouth.

It's their job to lie and deceive, yet we still have folk putting up quotes from Lennon as if they are a fact. :faf:

Michael
16-01-2019, 02:08 PM
How I yearn for the era in football when the first you knew about a signing was on the back page of the daily rag. What will be will be. Too much information and most of it inaccurate in this day and age.

You could just avoid the internet!

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 02:12 PM
It’s amazing how hard folk are trying to discredit people’s opinions.

I think when people claim their opinion to be a fact, then it's fair to challenge it.

brog
16-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Who were the players?

I'll let you have some fun working it out. The #1 target was to be the 3rd of Tommy Craig's signings after Brian Kerr & AOB. The 2nd, not originally planned, played hundreds of games in top 2 English leagues & could feature in EPL this weekend!

hibbie02
16-01-2019, 02:14 PM
I'll let you have some fun working it out. The #1 target was to be the 3rd of Tommy Craig's signings after Brian Kerr & AOB. The 2nd, not originally planned, played hundreds of games in top 2 English leagues & could feature in EPL this weekend!

You are a tease Mr R!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inconsequential
16-01-2019, 02:15 PM
You could just avoid the internet! Spot on Michael.. I have carefully considered that option previously. I've already dumped social media. :wink:

Jones28
16-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Not Hibs related but I see Bournemouth are on the cusp of signing a 21 year old CB from Brentford for £15m! I wonder what this would put the value of SJM at to a premier league club?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 02:16 PM
I think when people claim their opinion to be a fact, then it's fair to challenge it.

Nobody does that though. Someone gives a difference opinion and it’s “prove it” etc.

brog
16-01-2019, 02:20 PM
But I thought injuries were to blame for Hearts going on a poor run? Do the same rules not apply when it’s Hibs?

:thumbsup: Imagine if we had lost 5-0 at Livi!!!

brog
16-01-2019, 02:22 PM
You are a tease Mr R!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thought it might be a wee break from the garbage on here just now! :wink:

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 02:23 PM
:thumbsup: Imagine if we had lost 5-0 at Livi!!!

Would be even worse if the team that lost 5-0 to Livi went on to beat Hib... never mind.

Speedway
16-01-2019, 02:23 PM
The silence would suggest that you need to be a stronger salesman than GC to sell Hibs to established players who can make 3 times what we offer by sitting on another's club's subs bench.

alihibs1
16-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Nelom appears to be in London in his Instagram story.

Looks like he is in a surgery clinic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Nobody does that though. Someone gives a difference opinion and it’s “prove it” etc.

People should accept differing views. I think however, when they are stated as fact, then those views are open to scrutiny.

snedzuk
16-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Nelom appears to be in London in his Instagram story.

Looks like he is in a surgery clinic.

Maybe his haircuts being surgically removed to lower the strain on his knees.

147lothian
16-01-2019, 02:42 PM
:agree: There's absolutely no doubt the board are backing Lennon. In fact that's one criticism i have never been able to throw at the board, even before Dempster's time. We've always pushed the boat out to get players the manager wants. Apart from Collins throwing a hissy fit because he couldn't get 1 million for Naismith. The board can't help it if who the manager wants turns out to be rubbish.

I don't think Naismith 11 - 12 years ago would have been a bad signing, and on the fee it would have been on a long contract he would probably have found his form and got sold on for a lot more than a million, IMO Collins wasn't being unrealistic he was asking for the money on the back of the selling of the golden generation and was showing a bit of ambition for the club.

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Is the second one Victor Moses?

Brightside
16-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Hibs have made no offers to Scott Allan or Celtic.

If Celtic dont release him we wont be signing him.

Lee Marvin
16-01-2019, 03:02 PM
If Celtic dont release him we wont be signing him.

Why would that stop us offering him a pre contract?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 03:03 PM
I don't think Naismith 11 - 12 years ago would have been a bad signing, and on the fee it would have been on a long contract he would probably have found his form and got sold on for a lot more than a million, IMO Collins wasn't being unrealistic he was asking for the money on the back of the selling of the golden generation and was showing a bit of ambition for the club.

Collins quit because the board never sanctioned the move for Stevie Hammell.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Signing a pre contract makes perfect sense from our point of view. Why would Lennon need to “lie” when we can speak to him at any point regardless?

Brightside
16-01-2019, 03:06 PM

But you understand a pre contract means he wont be signing till the summer yes? So to be clear. Unless Celtic release him we will not be signing him in this window.

proud_and_green
16-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Can the admins look into developing a like feature on here, I agree with a lot of good posts just can’t be arsed always replying and quoting [emoji6][emoji8]Agree, I have been thinking about that for a while just couldn't be erchied putting it into words. If there had been such a facility, I would have 'liked' Smaxxa's post

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Collins quit because the board never sanctioned the move for Stevie Hammell.

Excellent!

Wheat Hound
16-01-2019, 03:16 PM
(link: https://bbc.in/2RysJ2E) bbc.in/2RysJ2E

The interest from Scottish clubs more than likely Celtc or Sevco but perhaps good impressions made on Ole GS after the Molde tie might help?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 03:16 PM
But you understand a pre contract means he wont be signing till the summer yes? So to be clear. Unless Celtic release him we will not be signing him in this window.

They would more than likely loan him until the end of the season than terminate his contract.

Brightside
16-01-2019, 03:20 PM
They would more than likely loan him until the end of the season than terminate his contract.

This is why it wont happen quickly. Celtic want a team to buy his contract out. Teams are waiting for him to be released to try and get him on a free. If nothing happens he will be loaned out. The only way Hibs can make this happen quickly is if we offer to buy his contract out.

Allant1981
16-01-2019, 03:25 PM
This is why it wont happen quickly. Celtic want a team to buy his contract out. Teams are waiting for him to be released to try and get him on a free. If nothing happens he will be loaned out. The only way Hibs can make this happen quickly is if we offer to buy his contract out.

Why wouldn't they loan him to us?

brog
16-01-2019, 03:25 PM
Is the second one Victor Moses?

Nope, about as far away from his position at that time as you can get.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 03:27 PM

If he is committed to coming to us then surely the easiest scenario would be pre-contract meaning he’s not going anywhere else then the next step dealing with Celtc? I’ve a feeling they might be interested in our star prospect in a year or two so perhaps won’t be hard to deal with?

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 03:27 PM

The interest from Scottish clubs more than likely Celtc or Sevco but perhaps good impressions made on Ole GS after the Molde tie might help?

Could only be Celtic I’d think.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Could only be Celtic I’d think.

They have about 400 midfielders?

DetroitHibs
16-01-2019, 03:37 PM

Why not just buy out his contract and get him tied down? It's about £200,000 and I'm sure Celtic would probably take half that to get him off the books.

Hermit Crab
16-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Hibs should just buy SA out of his contract, show some intent.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-01-2019, 03:40 PM

100%

matty_f
16-01-2019, 03:47 PM
100%

I can see the logic, but what if we kept that money, got Allan for nothing and then used what we would have spent to get another key player in? :wink:

truehibernian
16-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Why ? Celtic might come to a reduced settlement and release him prior to the window closing - which I think will happen.

I think SA will be a Hibs player but it’ll be at the end of the window. Getting a striker and a wide player is the priority before Allan (for me).

Lago
16-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Could there be a 3rd option, this might sound crazy but just go with me here, we have offered him a deal on a pre contract and his agent has said “let us get back to u” in the hope that there may be better offers coming soon. Once no offers come closer to the end of the window he says “ok, we’ll sign now”. Does that sound like it could be within the realms of possibility?? However much of an inconvenience it is to us, it’s pretty common and not a lot Hibs can do other than wait it out or drop the offer.
A valid option.

Bobby's Cinema
16-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Can't believe anyone would think that is realistic.

SouthMoroccoStu
16-01-2019, 03:55 PM
I can see the logic, but what if we kept that money, got Allan for nothing and then used what we would have spent to get another key player in? :wink:

Absolutely

Or use what would have been his transfer fee to tempt Allan with a good signing bonus and bigger wage

Still have the issue of Celtic releasing him from his contract

SMAXXA
16-01-2019, 04:03 PM

Exactly.

People that have had experience in these type of things regardless of what level will know exactly what’s going on. I’d be certain Scott Allan has been spoken to officially or unofficially likely the latter and the situation and cards on the table discussion. He will have had discussions at his end with Celtic to understand where he stands. That position may well be if you don’t get a club by the end of the window we will agree a settlement to suit both party’s. Then he could go sign with Hibs or whoever and probably get a better deal without any fee being paid. Football is like that no one wants to show their hand just now and will play the long game most probably.

Above could be miles away from the situation but in my own experience I honestly wouldn’t be surprised it wasn’t far away.

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Would be even worse if the team that lost 5-0 to Livi went on to beat Hib... never mind.

all of this is FACT :agree:

:)

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 04:18 PM

It’s about time we stopped acting like a poor relation to Celtic. ****ing hate the wee team expression but that’s exactly that.

Brightside
16-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Exactly. Its a game of poker.

jacomo
16-01-2019, 04:22 PM

Why hasn’t SA signed a pre contract with us?

Don’t think he’s coming...

Brightside
16-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Why would he. A pre contract is in order to sign him up in Summer. Im not sure why people keep saying this.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Exactly. Its a game of poker.

No, let’s be honest here: it would be a game of poker if they where after someone of value to us. Right no we are the guys pouring drinks and lighting cigars looking for a tip (Allan)

matty_f
16-01-2019, 04:30 PM
It’s about time we stopped acting like a poor relation to Celtic. ****ing hate the wee team expression but that’s exactly that.

I don't think so.

Here’s Lucy!
16-01-2019, 04:34 PM

How is it? :dunno:

truehibernian
16-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Many reasons however I'd speculate that the 'terms' of any future contract with Hibs have been unofficially agreed (or are known to those involved) already making a pre-contract agreement relatively pointless - after all it's the final contract and it's essential elements that is/are binding and the important document that gets signed at the end of the day.

I think SA wants to come, Hibs want him, and it's a case of waiting for Celtic to come to a financial settlement with the player that suits both parties. Scott gets a little less than his contract states, Celtic don't shell out the full cost of the remainder..........a case of who blinks first really.

We need a striker in first though :aok:

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 04:45 PM
How is it? :dunno:

How’s it not. Scrapping about Celtics coat tails hoping they release a player rather than coming in for him spending what? £100k max get him in support behind the team and club and a statement of intent leading to season ticket renewal next season?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Many reasons however I'd speculate that the 'terms' of any future contract with Hibs have been unofficially agreed (or are known to those involved) already making a pre-contract agreement relatively pointless - after all it's the final contract and it's essential elements that is/are binding and the important document that gets signed at the end of the day.

I think SA wants to come, Hibs want him, and it's a case of waiting for Celtic to come to a financial settlement with the player that suits both parties. Scott gets a little less than his contract states, Celtic don't shell out the full cost of the remainder..........a case of who blinks first really.

We need a striker in first though :aok:

That makes no sense at all. If he wants to come he would be offered a pre contract forcing Celtics hand.

Borderhibbie76
16-01-2019, 04:49 PM
There will be a lot of hard work going on at Hibs right now regarding transfers. Just need to have faith and let it play out. No point getting frustrated at something we can't influence.Yup agreed tho it does frustrate the hell out of me that we always seems to be slow out the blocks compared to others. Hopefully tho we get some good news and quality additions that make it worth the wait

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Michael
16-01-2019, 04:49 PM
How’s it not. Scrapping about Celtics coat tails hoping they release a player rather than coming in for him spending what? £100k max get him in support behind the team and club and a statement of intent leading to season ticket renewal next season?

We might get him on a free though? In February no one will remember what statements we made in January - so if possible we might as well save some money and wait and see what happens.

Here’s Lucy!
16-01-2019, 04:55 PM

But, if they do release him, then Bingo!

We probably get him and keep our money.

Win win :aok:

16-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Leeds are the best team in that division and look very likely to win promotion.

I’ve seen plenty of good Hibs players in the past struggle against their opponent. Most recently, Ryan Porteous & Paul Hanlon got roasted both by Greg Stewart & Eamonn Brophy at Rugby Park. Doesn’t mean they are bad players.

As mentioned earlier, Craig Bryson would be a very good signing if we can get him.

Derby cup replay with Southampton on Beeb 1 tonight (7.45 pm k.o.).
Could get a look at Bryson if he is playing.

matty_f
16-01-2019, 04:56 PM
That makes no sense at all. If he wants to come he would be offered a pre contract forcing Celtics hand.

It doesn't really force Celtic's hand. It's different of Allan was playing every week because then they have to play a player who they know is moving, or accept a low bid to take the player immediately.
In that situation we have a strong hand to play.

As it is though, they're looking at getting rid of Allan, as things stand he's a burden and they have no known option to get him off their hands other than paying him off. They know we want him so they can tell us to Billy, keep him and let him leave in the summer. A pre-contact with us does nothing to influence them other than to push his price up to get him early (because they know we need him now).

They need to pay him X amount either way, bidding now just pushed how much of that X we pay up.

truehibernian
16-01-2019, 05:01 PM

Why do we need to 'force Celtic's hand' ?? Hibs don't need to do anything other than wait and be patient and get the player on a free.

I'm pretty sure Hibs and SA know where they stand and there have been informal chats / discussions anyway regarding what the situation is and the timing of moves. Hibs will be letting the player and Celtic come to an agreement financially that suits both parties (player and Celtic). I'd need to check as well, but I also don't think pre-contracts are legally binding and they are simply an understanding that the player and new club will enter into a final contract agreement that ultimately will contain all the essential terms and elements. SA knows Hibs payment structure and will know what we can afford having been with us previously - I don't see why Hibs should force any hands, possibly meaning shelling out a fee, when we can get him on a free and spend that money on another important player's salary / loan.

Has SA signed a pre-contract with any other side thus far ? That's telling (for me).

Blaster
16-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Why do we need to 'force Celtic's hand' ?? Hibs don't need to do anything other than wait and be patient and get the player on a free.

I'm pretty sure Hibs and SA know where they stand and there have been informal chats / discussions anyway regarding what the situation is and the timing of moves. Hibs will be letting the player and Celtic come to an agreement financially that suits both parties (player and Celtic). I'd need to check as well, but I also don't think pre-contracts are legally binding and they are simply an understanding that the player and new club will enter into a final contract agreement that ultimately will contain all the essential terms and elements. SA knows Hibs payment structure and will know what we can afford having been with us previously - I don't see why Hibs should force any hands, possibly meaning shelling out a fee, when we can get him on a free and spend that money on another important player's salary / loan.

Has SA signed a pre-contract with any other side thus far ? That's telling (for me).

I get all you are saying and agree to an extent but two important league games could go by without having Allan in. Sometimes we may just have to pay a little more money to get someone when we actually need them

Ozyhibby
16-01-2019, 05:06 PM
It doesn't really force Celtic's hand. It's different of Allan was playing every week because then they have to play a player who they know is moving, or accept a low bid to take the player immediately.

As it is though, they're looking at getting rid of Allan, as things stand he's a burden and they have no known option to get him off their hands other than paying him off. They know we want him so they can tell us to Billy, keep him and let him leave in the summer. A pre-contact with us does nothing to influence them other than to push his price up to get him early (because they know we need him now).

They need to pay him X amount either way, bidding now just pushed how much of that X we pay up.

If anything, a pre contract will put massive pressure on Hibs to get him in now. The board would be wise to avoid that.

vahibbie
16-01-2019, 05:08 PM

Ah but. If he signs a pre-contract with us then Celtic know that nobody else is going to come in for him so they gain nothing. If, as everyone thinks, Celtic want him off their wage bill then Hibs are in a strong position to low-ball Celtic on any offer.

B.H.F.C
16-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Having got Gauld I think we can play the longer game with Allan, if we are actually trying to get him.

With Boyle injured we need someone to replace him. And we are desperate for a striker. If we don’t address that then Allan wouldn’t have anybody to pass the ball to anyway.

Hibs90
16-01-2019, 05:14 PM
We need a midfield first and foremost.

Here’s Lucy!
16-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Having got Gauld I think we can play the longer game with Allan, if we are actually trying to get him.

With Boyle injured we need someone to replace him. And we are desperate for a striker. If we don’t address that then Allan wouldn’t have anybody to pass the ball to anyway.

Agree with this post.

A striker should be the number 1 priority.

04Sauzee
16-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Agree with this post.

Anyone who's available and within our budget and will make our team better should be our priority.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Ah but. If he signs a pre-contract with us then Celtic know that nobody else is going to come in for him so they gain nothing. If, as everyone thinks, Celtic want him off their wage bill then Hibs are in a strong position to low-ball Celtic on any offer.

Yes, this as my reply too. Why is a lot of people insistent on saving money when it comes to SA? Likes the saved money is likely to get invested heavily in the squad regardless!! Let’s save money and play poker with Celtic, act like the scruffs wanting hand outs then money saved if by some miracle we get it right doesn’t get invested anyway?

Another point and clarified by NL (fact) is we don’t need Allan right now because we have Ryan Gauld. Where’s the other dimensions of the side coming in? Are we waiting for someone to come in for Jamie Mac before gambling on last day? It’s an utter nightmare just now. And I will wet the bed because if we are bottom 6 with nothing to show for a **** season then fans and ££ will go next season. Same old Hibs is the expression that’s creeping in again meant to have gone for good when (a very extremely) quiet Ms Dempster took over. Barely a word from our CEO or Mr Craig this season.

SirDavidsNapper
We have Allans position covered with Gauld imo. Like others have said a striker and a replacement for Boyle are our main priorities now. Getting Agyepong fit would be like a new signing too. He looked brilliant when he played.

Here’s Lucy!
Anyone who's available and within our budget and will make our team better should be our priority.

Fair point. :aok:

leither17
16-01-2019, 05:30 PM
In the JC era I sat with 2 Crystal P players in my cuz's front room 'exploring options' for 1 or both to join us. Neither happened but neither IIRC even made it into the media. Posters who don't think informal contact goes on all the time are living in a dream world.

Clyne?

truehibernian
16-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Yes, this as my reply too. Why is a lot of people insistent on saving money when it comes to SA? Likes the saved money is likely to get invested heavily in the squad regardless!! Let’s save money and play poker with Celtic, act like the scruffs wanting hand outs then money saved if by some miracle we get it right doesn’t get invested anyway?

Another point and clarified by NL (fact) is we don’t need Allan right now because we have Ryan Gauld. Where’s the other dimensions of the side coming in? Are we waiting for someone to come in for Jamie Mac before gambling on last day? It’s an utter nightmare just now. And I will wet the bed because if we are bottom 6 with nothing to show for a **** season then fans and ££ will go next season. Same old Hibs is the expression that’s creeping in again meant to have gone for good when (a very extremely) quiet Ms Dempster took over. Barely a word from our CEO or Mr Craig this season.

George gave a decent update last week.........

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9592

Have patience, there is no doubt we will get good players in :aok:

Jones28
16-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Agree with this post.

A midfield that gives our strikers some bloody service should be a priority.

Hibs90
16-01-2019, 05:49 PM
We have Allans position covered with Gauld imo. Like others have said a striker and a replacement for Boyle are our main priorities now. Getting Agyepong fit would be like a new signing too. He looked brilliant when he played.

We need another 2 midfielders in all honesty. Mallan is not good enough for the DM role. Need a box to box player too.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 05:54 PM
We need another 2 midfielders in all honesty. Mallan is not good enough for the DM role. Need a box to box player too.

:agree:

A box to box midfielder is an absolute must.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Not another 'fact'.... As discussed before, opinions are what makes this forum, but don't speculate and label it fact. Just seems a bit silly.

southsider
16-01-2019, 05:58 PM

A box to box midfielder is an absolute must.

Oh for a Pat McG.

hibeerealist
16-01-2019, 06:05 PM

NL will know by now IF SA wishes to come to us and SA will know what we are going to pay him, the imponderable between now and close of transfer window is just what Celtic will do. Will they pay his contract up, will they agree with him that he find another club and give them the detail of what Celtic will accept to complete a deal now?

IF it is the latter then I suspect he is not coming (in this window) unless the deal is made easier for HFC pretty soon.

Lets hope it gets done very soon and calm us all down!

Caversham Green
16-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Does Scott Allan actually want to sign a pre-contract? He would lose the option of other clubs making him an offer, commit himself to a much lower wage than he is currently on and potentially compromise his bargaining position for a pay off from Celtc. On the other hand I don't see that he has much to gain from it.

Maybe it's Allan and his agent that are the sticking point.

Wheat Hound
16-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Bryson starting for Derby tonight

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 06:12 PM

legs have gone :wink:

Jim44
16-01-2019, 06:14 PM
I think Scott Allan is as likely to go elsewhere as he is to return to ER. Look at the pros and cons. Pros - he seems to enjoy being at Easter Road and he plays his best football with us ; we are keen to get him back ; it would probably suit him to remain in the Central belt. Cons - He is accustomed to picking up a fairly big wedge every week ; given that he’s potentially sacrificed his career for a whole year, the football element is secondary to the financial (not blaming him, by the way) ; huge drop in wage if he comes to us. On balance, I would say that a club offering more money than us is likely to turn his head.

malcolm
16-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Signing a pre contract makes perfect sense from our point of view. Why would Lennon need to “lie” when we can speak to him at any point regardless?

This repeated suggestion is tiresome. A pre contract in the window would be something celtc did not like only if they were going to sign him again or it queered their hopes to sell him to someone. (Nether seems likely). If he signed it with Hibs then it would bolster cletc’s hopes to get a fee or a bigger fee from us to let him go early.

If he does not sign a pre contract then he is more likely to get a pay off at the end of the window and be free to sign elsewhere like for Hibs! It’s the best for him and perhaps for us if he signs for us.

A pre contract now makes no sense to Hibs as it does not put any pressure on celtc but gives them much more scope to put the price up to cover a bigger share of the pay off the remainder of his contract - it is not as if he’ll get as much or more in his replacement contract.

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2019, 06:18 PM

all of this is FACT :agree:

:)

brog
16-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Clyne?

Clyne's 27. He would have been 16 in the JC era so no.

Keyser Sauzee
16-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Clyne's 27. He would have been 16 in the JC era so no.

Lewis Grabban??

Borderhibbie76
16-01-2019, 06:53 PM
All this talk about Scott Allan...I'm not even sure our manager wants him in all honesty. I really don't see him signing this window...it's the summer all over again...posters in here kept telling us to chill he'd sign on deadline day and it never happened. I can see the same scenario playing out again.. hope I'm wrong as I'd love Scott Allan back- I'm not convinced Lennon really wants him tho...rightly or wrongly

sambajustice
16-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Why would a starter at a top championship club come to Hibs???

:faf:

Keyser Sauzee
16-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Why would a starter at a top championship club come to Hibs???

:faf:

No1 is saying that, I was responding to Brog about a story he had told earlier in the thread around JC time, keep up.

Allant1981
16-01-2019, 07:01 PM
No1 is saying that, I was responding to Brog about a story he had told earlier in the thread around JC time, keep up.

Possibly talking about Bryson?

Keyser Sauzee
16-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Possibly talking about Bryson?

My mistake, apologies

SirDavidsNapper
16-01-2019, 07:04 PM

How poor is Martin Waghorn. There are some bang average players down south earning megabucks

Wee Scottie Dug
16-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Covered more ground in the 1st 15 minutes than any of our current crop normally covers in an entire half ....... Even got flagged for offside after a foray up the right wing. Makes me wonder whether we are genuinely in the mix to get him if indeed he is planning to return to Scotland, wages would also be a stumbling block - pity because he looks the real deal a genuine box to box midfielder if ever I've seen one :not worth

Zazu62
16-01-2019, 07:06 PM
We aren’t signing Bryson let’s be honest here guys

mentalhibee
16-01-2019, 07:07 PM

Jason Puncheon?

Viva_Palmeiras
16-01-2019, 07:08 PM
I think Scott Allan is as likely to go elsewhere as he is to return to ER. Look at the pros and cons. Pros - he seems to enjoy being at Easter Road and he plays his best football with us ; we are keen to get him back ; it would probably suit him to remain in the Central belt. Cons - He is accustomed to picking up a fairly big wedge every week ; given that he’s potentially sacrificed his career for a whole year, the football element is secondary to the financial (not blaming him, by the way) ; huge drop in wage if he comes to us. On balance, I would say that a club offering more money than us is likely to turn his head.

He did alright at Dundee did he not? So unfortunately the idea he can only turn it on at Hibs does not quite hold true...

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 07:09 PM
All this talk about Scott Allan...I'm not even sure our manager wants him in all honesty. I really don't see him signing this window...it's the summer all over again...posters in here kept telling us to chill he'd sign on deadline day and it never happened. I can see the same scenario playing out again.. hope I'm wrong as I'd love Scott Allan back- I'm not convinced Lennon really wants him tho...rightly or wrongly

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkI was going to say much the same thing.

People are criticising the club for not doing this or that (even though we don't know what the club has or hasn't been doing), when we don't even know whether Scott Allan is a priority target for NL, or even whether he wants to come back to Hibs.

Another point that I don't think has been raised is that it would probably suit Celtic better to loan him to us. Their not getting it all their own way in the league, and the might be happy to strengthen Hibs in the hope we will take points off their challengers, while at the same time prohibiting him from playing against them.

Lago
16-01-2019, 07:21 PM
We aren’t signing Bryson let’s be honest here guys

Correct or a good number of the names linked to Hibs, way out our price range.

skyehibee
16-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Bryson just scored for Derby

leither17
Legs have gone

Blaster
Bryson’s legs have gone 😂😂

percy veer
16-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Bang goes the bryson deal then

overdrive
16-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Just scored

Unseen work
16-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Great dummy and finish from Bryson.

Box to box midfielder that scores goals?

unfortantly him starting and scoring would make it seem like my mate got it wrong.

Fife-Hibee
Oh well’ thatl Be that then 😂

overdrive
Disallowed. Deal back on :greengrin:

GreenCastle
16-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Would be amazed if we could afford Bryson - let alone he wants to come to us.

Goal looked fine to me ? Rubbish rule - advantage should go to attacker to encourage more goals in football.

Lago
16-01-2019, 07:26 PM
just scored
var !!!

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2019, 07:27 PM
goal chalked off....dreamers can dream again :wink:

Hibees1973
16-01-2019, 07:36 PM
If Hibs really wanted Scott Allan and we were his first choice, on a reduced wage, you would think that we would have him on a pre contract by now. Celtic cannot stop this happening

With the risk that he could go elsewhere it must be that he is not a priority signing for Lennon or he does not want to come back.

The transfer window is mostly fantasy, with probably 1% of rumours actually resulting in the said player signing.

My feeling is that Hibs are biding their time and looking at the whole transfer window when any number of players could become available. Hibs will be conscious of making more transfer errors. Will again be a last minute rush just the same as most clubs.

I hope Hibs don’t sign many more short term loans. We are an inconsistent and struggling side this season and expecting a number of loans fitting in quickly is fanciful. Was different with loans fitting into a good Hibs side last year.

I am not for one moment saying that we give up on this season. We should be building a side for the long term with no more than 2 or 3 loan players in the squad. To have more than this means we will again have a revolving door come summer.

allmodcons
16-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Great dummy and finish from Bryson.

Box to box midfielder that scores goals?

unfortantly him starting and scoring would make it seem like my mate got it wrong.

Regardless of how he plays tonight, if Bryson is on £20k - £30k per week, there is not a cats chance in hell he will sign for Hibs.

He can earn in 6 months at Derby what he'd earn at Hibs in 4 years. Complete non starter if wages being quoted are correct.

Hibees1973
16-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Regardless of how he plays tonight, if Bryson is on £20k - £30k per week, there is not a cats chance in hell he will sign for Hibs.

He can earn in 6 months at Derby what he'd earn at Hibs in 4 years. Complete non starter if wages being quoted are correct.

Ditto

Caversham Green
16-01-2019, 07:48 PM
If Hibs really wanted Scott Allan and we were his first choice, on a reduced wage, you would think that we would have him on a pre contract by now. Celtic cannot stop this happening

With the risk that he could go elsewhere it must be that he is not a priority signing for Lennon or he does not want to come back.

The transfer window is mostly fantasy, with probably 1% of rumours actually resulting in the said player signing.

My feeling is that Hibs are biding their time and looking at the whole transfer window when any number of players could become available. Hibs will be conscious of making more transfer errors. Will again be a last minute rush just the same as most clubs.

I hope Hibs don’t sign many more short term loans. We are an inconsistent and struggling side this season and expecting a number of loans fitting in quickly is fanciful. Was different with loans fitting into a good Hibs side last year.

I am not for one moment saying that we give up on this season. We should be building a side for the long term with no more than 2 or 3 loan players in the squad. To have more than this means we will again have a revolving door come summer.

Given what I've said here:

Does Scott Allan actually want to sign a pre-contract? He would lose the option of other clubs making him an offer, commit himself to a much lower wage than he is currently on and potentially compromise his bargaining position for a pay off from Celtc. On the other hand I don't see that he has much to gain from it.

Maybe it's Allan and his agent that are the sticking point.

Can you explain why Scot Allan would sign a pre-contract?

Lago
16-01-2019, 08:08 PM

Just where & who started this Bryson linked to Hibs stuff come from? Complete fantasy!

bingo70
16-01-2019, 08:14 PM
Just where & who started this Bryson linked to Hibs stuff come from? Complete fantasy!

Been in a couple of papers.

Think it was the sun that said initially it was us and Rangers after him and then the daily express the other day said it was just us.

Think it’s the daily express that have a decent record regarding stories about us.

Blaster
16-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Scottish club(s) looking to take McTominay on loan from Man U according to bbc sport

If only

Lago
16-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Been in a couple of papers.

Think it was the sun that said initially it was us and Rangers after him and then the daily express the other day said it was just us.

Think it’s the daily express that have a decent record regarding stories about us.
Well ok, thanks for that, I can't believe any Scottish team other than the gruesome twosome could afford him so why would he drop his wages so drastically? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe other reasons.

Speedway
16-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Bryson’s anonymous tonight.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 08:21 PM

Say the same for Naismith?

Allant1981
16-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Bryson’s anonymous tonight.

Apart from the goal that was chopped off, a couple of crosses into the box and linking play with the forwards you are right

04Sauzee
16-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Norwich didn't fancy Naismith
If reports are correct Hearts were/are picking up a sizeable chunk of his salary?

Speedway
16-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Apart from the goal that was chopped off, a couple of crosses into the box and linking play with the forwards you are right

So the fact he didn’t score, his crosses came to nothing and doing the absolute basics required of him.

Impressive.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Well ok, thanks for that, I can't believe any Scottish team other than the gruesome twosome could afford him so why would he drop his wages so drastically? Doesn't make sense to me, maybe other reasons.

Apparently his Mrs is due a baby and he wants to get a move back to Scotland.

Can’t see it myself although I wouldn’t class it as ‘fantasy’ stuff to be honest, he’s a box to box midfielder who’s best years are behind him, the offernof a two or three year deal could be appealing to someone who is approaching the end of their career.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 08:29 PM
So the fact he didn’t score, his crosses came to nothing and doing the absolute basics required of him.

Impressive.

I think the general rule of thumb is that anyone playing in England is automatically better than what we have up here.

Don’t buy into that myself but it’s certainly what a lot of people seem to think.

Allant1981
16-01-2019, 08:30 PM

Impressive.

You said he has been anonymous, clearly he has not been

Allant1981
16-01-2019, 08:32 PM
I think the general rule of thumb is that anyone playing in England is automatically better than what we have up here.

Don’t buy into that myself but it’s certainly what a lot of people seem to think.

What has that got to do with how Bryson is playing? The poster said he has been annonymous, he hasn't, nothing to do with what country he plays in

Lago
16-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Apparently his Mrs is due a baby and he wants to get a move back to Scotland.

Can’t see it myself although I wouldn’t class it as ‘fantasy’ stuff to be honest, he’s a box to box midfielder who’s best years are behind him, the offernof a two or three year deal could be appealing to someone who is approaching the end of their career.

Ok accept fantasy stuff was a bit of hyperbole on my part😊

Heckys Wheel
16-01-2019, 08:33 PM

Impressive.

What are you doing?

Hibees1973
16-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Given what I've said here:

Can you explain why Scot Allan would sign a pre-contract?

I don’t need to explain it.....Scott Allan just doesn’t want to comeback to Hibs just now.

Ringothedog
16-01-2019, 08:46 PM
I don’t need to explain it.....Scott Allan just doesn’t want to comeback to Hibs just now.

Do you know this for fact or is it just your opinion?

allmodcons
16-01-2019, 08:49 PM

Different set of circumstances.

There is absolutely no way Bryson will come to Hibs in this window if he only has 6 months of his contract to run at Derby.

Who in their right mind would take a £20k a week drop in wages when their contract is due to expire at the end of the season.

Speedway
16-01-2019, 08:55 PM
You said he has been anonymous, clearly he has not been

Mostly anonymous. Better?

Speedway
16-01-2019, 08:55 PM
What are you doing?

Reading a message board. You?

Heckys Wheel
16-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Reading a message board. You?

Jesus 😂

Hibee Mac
16-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Only watched from the 2nd half onwards, Bryson not done much of note. He also does not appear to have that grit and energy that we are desperately missing in midfield.

How hard is it to find a young box to box midfielder with a bit of promise? Doesn't have to be a superstar just energy and a relative all rounder

BlackSheep
16-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Can't believe anyone would think that is realistic.

Yet Dmitri Mitchell is at Hearts...?

mixumatosis
16-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Scottish club(s) looking to take McTominay on loan from Man U according to bbc sport

If only

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46894613

Would imagine Solskjaer would have a decent opinion of us as a club after the Europa games, which couldn't do any harm.

I can't believe that If he thought that we were the best place for the player to develop wages would be an issue - he'll be pennies in the Utd scheme of things. He seems pretty forward thinking and being caretaker probably affords him the opportunity to think a bit more long term, in a slightly backwards logic.

If Lennon went all guns blazing to get him in I don't think it would be laughed out the room, but I expect he'll have no shortage of offers.

SRHibs
16-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Has he ever even played a game for Man U? McTominay has been in the first team at various points. He’s really got nothing to gain from coming to Scotland. Surely an EPL team/upper Championship team would be interested?

CB_NO3
16-01-2019, 09:22 PM

If only

Its Celtic.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Its Celtic.

Aberdeen as well according to the daily record.

One Day Soon
16-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Anything ever constructive to say apart from digs at posters?

You all caught up now?

BlackSheep
16-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Has he ever even played a game for Man U? McTominay has been in the first team at various points. He’s really got nothing to gain from coming to Scotland. Surely an EPL team/upper Championship team would be interested?

Yes... only once but he has.

Mitchell and McTominay were team mates in the under 23s

Ozyhibby
16-01-2019, 09:30 PM

The Gordon Strachan rule for picking Scotland teams. [emoji849]

theonlywayisup
16-01-2019, 09:40 PM
An England legend, who I assume knows his football, keeps Bryson on the pitch for over 120 minutes playing for a leading Championship team as they beat a Premier League side, yet some of the experts on Hibs.net deem him not to be good enough. You can't make this up.

Caversham Green
16-01-2019, 09:42 PM

I was reacting to your first paragraph and the assumption by some that Allan signing a pre-contract would be a foregone conclusion if Hibs offered one. For the reasons I've laid out I can't see why he would sign one even if he does want to be a Hibs player. I'd like someone to explain why it would be in his interests to do so.

Speedway
16-01-2019, 10:09 PM
Jesus 😂

Praying to or studying about?

jacomo
16-01-2019, 10:09 PM
I was reacting to your first paragraph and the assumption by some that Allan signing a pre-contract would be a foregone conclusion if Hibs offered one. For the reasons I've laid out I can't see why he would sign one even if he does want to be a Hibs player. I'd like someone to explain why it would be in his interests to do so.

I’ve no inside info at all but my reasoning is this:

SA’s Celtc contract lasts until the summer. He won’t be offered another one.

He won’t get a better offer than Hibs. Sevco don’t want him anymore and no English club is interested. The Dons might try to sign him but the money won’t be a deal breaker and he doesn’t want to move up there.

So he can sign a PCA with us now and then see it out til the summer. Or Celtc offer him a pay off to save cash and try and recoup it from us this month.

Maybe Hibs are saying it’s now or never and Celtc are playing hardball?

Speedway
16-01-2019, 10:11 PM

He won’t get a better offer than Hibs. Sevco don’t want him anymore and no English club is interested. The Dons might try to sign him but the money won’t be a deal breaker and he doesn’t want to move up there.

So he can sign a PCA with us now and then see it out til the summer. Or Celtc offer him a pay off to save cash and try and recoup it from us this month.

Or Allan doesn’t want to risk missing out on a Celtic pay off.

04Sauzee
16-01-2019, 10:12 PM

I'm sure the world is bigger than Scotland and England. I don't know Allan but maybe he'd like a shot at the u.s league? Or do what Henderson has done? Still hoping to see him at ER as he was a joy to watch last season.

DetroitHibs
16-01-2019, 11:15 PM
An England legend, who I assume knows his football, keeps Bryson on the pitch for over 120 minutes playing for a leading Championship team as they beat a Premier League side, yet some of the experts on Hibs.net deem him not to be good enough. You can't make this up.

Which makes the whole rumor sound like pie in the sky. Seems to be an important first team player.

HoboHarry
16-01-2019, 11:24 PM
Yes you can. FACT.

:wink:

Borderhibbie76
16-01-2019, 11:28 PM
This thread is getting worse by the day...literally 100s of posts bickering about Allan...whom we don't even know is a target and Bryson...who we simply can't afford.

Awful stuff...jeez Hibs sign someone please just to give us something else to discuss??

These Transfer windows are torture

southern hibby
17-01-2019, 01:26 AM
Hearing Hibs have given a medical to a Greek Defender. Don’t know who it is or if even true just passing on what I’ve been told ( and that ain’t much ) except tall and loves to attack the ball.

GGTTH

HoboHarry
17-01-2019, 01:39 AM
Hearing Hibs have given a medical to a Greek Defender. Don’t know who it is or if even true just passing on what I’ve been told ( and that ain’t much ) except tall and loves to attack the ball.

GGTTH
Did we not just release one matching that exact description? :greengrin

southern hibby
17-01-2019, 01:44 AM
Did we not just release one matching that exact description? :greengrin

That’s exactly what I thought but as I said only passing on what I was told.
Not sure if it’s true or not but at least it’s a rumour.

GGTTH

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Pointless info but since Hearts gazumped us by signing Dylan Bikey in the January window a few years back he's gone on to score 1 (one) career goal and is now playing for an obscure Cypriot team.

CallumLaidlaw
17-01-2019, 05:55 AM

GGTTH

Do you mean a trial? Or an actual medical and is close to being announced?

SouthMoroccoStu
17-01-2019, 05:58 AM
Seen on Twitter

Hibernian Fans ITK

“We understand that #Hibs have agreed a deal to sign Portuguese midfielder Diogo Viana from Belenenses for an undisclosed fee. Diogo will fly to Edinburgh tomorrow to complete his medical and put pen to paper on a 2 and a half year deal. #GGTTH #HIBS #Viana”

https://twitter.com/hibernianfans/status/1085672367462993930?s=21

Down as a striker on Wikipedia

Yes yes I know this is a questionable source but I still think it’s better than page after page after page of no rumours and posters bickering about Bryson and Allan

JimBHibees
17-01-2019, 06:12 AM
Seen on Twitter

Hibernian Fans ITK

“We understand that #Hibs have agreed a deal to sign Portuguese midfielder Diogo Viana from Belenenses for an undisclosed fee. Diogo will fly to Edinburgh tomorrow to complete his medical and put pen to paper on a 2 and a half year deal. #GGTTH #HIBS #Viana”

Yes yes I know this is a questionable source but I still think it’s better than page after page after page of no rumours and posters bickering about Bryson and Allan

No idea if in any way accurate however you would think that Ryan Gauld would be able to recommend a couple of decent players. Also his language skills could come in handy in getting players to settle if coming from that part of the world.

04Sauzee
17-01-2019, 06:29 AM
Seen on Twitter

Hibernian Fans ITK

Looks like a right winger and although it's only a rumour and yes it's only YouTube bet here you go

https://youtu.be/vkcxKW***ys

theonlywayisup
17-01-2019, 06:41 AM
https://youtu.be/vkcxKW***ys

Page not found - you might have to tell us what the *** is!

DetroitHibs
17-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Looks like a right winger

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPJCDruQzE

Hibee Mac
17-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Strangely tranfermarkt seems to say he's played most of his recent games at RB? Maybe he's versatile up and down the right, sounds like a Lennon player...

stokesmessiah
17-01-2019, 07:04 AM
OOFT a Portugese winger with the name Diogo. That is ticking so many things on my transfer window bingo it is unreal. And to top it off we even have a really bad quality (it is at my end anyway) De Graaf 'esque YouTube video. Where is that Daffy GIF.

Please let it be true !

Callum_62
17-01-2019, 07:12 AM
Guess you dont get capped at every level for Portugal (except seniors) without having something about you

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diogo+viana&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=niv&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihyrSurvTfAhXnUxUIHeEJAlUQ_AUIFCgD&biw=375&bih=553&dpr=2

Brightside
17-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Seen on Twitter

Hibernian Fans ITK

Come on guys. This account is run by a Jambo. Stop!!

KeithTheHibby
Seen on Twitter

Hibernian Fans ITK

Who cares if he’s pish he’s got an amazing name, get him signed Petrie.

Diclonius

GGTTH

Harry's back!

SirDavidsNapper

He's struggling to get in the Hearts team never mind the Man United team

stokesmessiah
17-01-2019, 07:21 AM

That's my bubble burst.

calumhibee1
17-01-2019, 07:22 AM

I’ve not seen many suggest he’s not good enough. Mainly just that at 32, close to 33 by the time he comes to us, that it would be a risk giving him a long term deal. Which is what was suggested he’d be getting. Whether he had a good game or not last night against a struggling EPL team (and possibly not full strength since it was the cup?) is largely irrelevant to how he’ll be in 18 months.

SouthMoroccoStu
17-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Really? Not heard that before

04Sauzee
17-01-2019, 07:27 AM

I think you are right, I have him blocked on Twitter, must have been a reason for that 😂

RossScott1991
17-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Scott Allan certainly doing his best to remain in shape, posting at 8am this morning doing some morning yoga in his house.

greenpaper55
17-01-2019, 07:29 AM
So, as i see it we have 14 days left of the window and not a sniff of another signing, what a way to run a football team.

Brightside
17-01-2019, 07:33 AM
So, as i see it we have 14 days left of the window and not a sniff of another signing, what a way to run a football team.

Spot on. They should be leaking all the targets and discussions to the forums before we sign anyone. Shambles.

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Spot on. They should be leaking all the targets and discussions to the forums before we sign anyone. Shambles.

Exactly! Imagine not sharing sensitive transfer discussions on a public forum! Scandalous.

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 07:50 AM

Or....Good players, who are in demand, have 14 days to sit tight and see how things pan out before committing to a club?

If I've got a month to sell my house and want the best deal, I'm probably not going to sell it after a fortnight if I think there's likely to be other offers to come in.

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Or....Good players, who are in demand, have 14 days to sit tight and see how things pan out before committing to a club?

If I've got a month to sell my house and want the best deal, I'm probably not going to sell it after a fortnight if I think there's likely to be other offers to come in.

As pointed out previously, we have very little positive history of sitting waiting for players at the last minute in January let alone needing about 6 players. People are rightly concerned at the state of the squad. No doubt in 14 days time you will be full of hard luck stories and how it’s nobody fault etc etc.

bingo70
17-01-2019, 08:02 AM
Scott Allan certainly doing his best to remain in shape, posting at 8am this morning doing some morning yoga in his house.

I think him and Jason Cummings are training for a big fight with each other, filmed live on instagram.

Grant Holt refereeing.

SouthMoroccoStu
17-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Bingo

Ronniekirk
17-01-2019, 08:16 AM
As pointed out previously, we have very little positive history of sitting waiting for players at the last minute in January let alone needing about 6 players. People are rightly concerned at the state of the squad. No doubt in 14 days time you will be full of hard luck stories and how it’s nobody fault etc etc.

Some people are in Denial Although out with the 0ld Firm there is not a lot of Business done so far by other Clubs and Gauld could be one of the better signings
It’s just a pity we lost Effie and Boyle

southern hibby
17-01-2019, 08:17 AM
CallumLaidlaw, to answer your question I was told medical.
Not sure if we give medical before a trial or only to players we are going to sign.

GGTTH

bigwheel
17-01-2019, 08:22 AM

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji122]

brog
17-01-2019, 08:27 AM

Is your user name the greatest ironic statement on this board?

Billy Whizz
17-01-2019, 08:53 AM
Is your user name the greatest ironic statement on this board?

Iconic I’d say

Stuart93
17-01-2019, 08:57 AM

Which is fair enough can’t really blame them for that but what happens if these players decide to go elsewhere at the last minute, where does that leave us? Scrambling trying to bring someone else in?

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Which is fair enough can’t really blame them for that but what happens if these players decide to go elsewhere at the last minute, where does that leave us? Scrambling trying to bring someone else in?

Or, just maybe, moving on to Plan B.

Dalianwanda
17-01-2019, 09:04 AM

So is the answer not to go for our top targets because they can take more time to get in & just go for 3or4th choices as there’s more chance of them jumping quickly if offered?

bingo70
17-01-2019, 09:20 AM

I think if we're at day 30 of the transfer window and get let down by a player we'll probably be way past plan B.

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2019, 09:24 AM
The point he’s making is that if you spend the whole window waiting on plan A only for them to decide the money is better elsewhere then you might not have the luxury of moving into plan B or C because someone else has already snapped them up as their plan A. That’s when the scrambling about picking up plan D and E starts.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not altogether sure thats my position on the matter but I get where he’s coming from it’s as valid a view any other on here.

calumhibee1
17-01-2019, 09:31 AM
So is the answer not to go for our top targets because they can take more time to get in & just go for 3or4th choices as there’s more chance of them jumping quickly if offered?

Or up our offer to our top targets? Lose the next two difficult games and we’ll be struggling for top six. Miss out on top six probably means missing out on £300k+ this season from a further home derby, further old firm game and tv money/league placing. Throw in a drop in season ticket sales after a bottom six finish and you could be talking £600k+.

I realise Hibs will most likely be factoring this in but if we’re in anyway skimping on what we can afford (ive no idea if we are or not by the way) then this is absolutely not the time to be doing that imo.

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2019, 09:32 AM
The point he’s making is that if you spend the whole window waiting on plan A only for them to decide the money is better elsewhere then you might not have the luxury of moving into plan B or C because someone else has already snapped them up as their plan A. That’s when the scrambling about picking up plan D and E starts.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not altogether sure thats my position on the matter but I get where he’s coming from it’s as valid a view any other on here.

The skill, therefore, is to make sure that Plan B is a goer if A doesn't work. If that means keeping a Plan B player hanging on in the hope that we'll sign him, that's fine.

Every club in the country has that same problem.

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2019, 09:38 AM
The skill, therefore, is to make sure that Plan B is a goer if A doesn't work. If that means keeping a Plan B player hanging on in the hope that we'll sign him, that's fine.

Every club in the country has that same problem.
Exactly.

The concern (and it's a valid one) is that our recruitment team doesn't have that skill.

MrRobot
17-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Hibs should approach Celtic, ask them to release SA from his contract and offer to cover the payoff.

One Day Soon
17-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Just cannot resist this. 'Anything ever constructive to say apart from digs at posters?' :tee hee:

SaulGoodman
17-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Hibs should approach Celtic, ask them to release SA from his contract and offer to cover the payoff.

“Hey Celtic can you release Scott from his contract please?”

“No”

“But Hibs.net said this would work”

One Day Soon
17-01-2019, 10:02 AM

“No”

Dalianwanda
17-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Or up our offer to our top targets? Lose the next two difficult games and we’ll be struggling for top six. Miss out on top six probably means missing out on £300k+ this season from a further home derby, further old firm game and tv money/league placing. Throw in a drop in season ticket sales after a bottom six finish and you could be talking £600k+.

I realise Hibs will most likely be factoring this in but if we’re in anyway skimping on what we can afford (ive no idea if we are or not by the way) then this is absolutely not the time to be doing that imo.

But thats the thing no one knows...We could have tried to bust the bank for a player we just havent been told. Obviously I want signings in & Ive no idea whats going on behind the scenes. The more folk talk about penny pinching the more it becomes a 'fact'. I know you know that the money we can offer is just one part of the equation. By not getting players in super quick it tells us nothing, the only reasons we have for this are the stories we are telling ourselves (and each other and I realise thats part of a discussion board). Non of them fact until we have some real evidence to back them up.

calumhibee1
17-01-2019, 10:04 AM

“No”

Why would Celtic so definitely say no? According to Lennon we haven’t even pursued the idea of how much Allan would cost so it’s obviously not something we’ve offered yet.

calumhibee1
17-01-2019, 10:05 AM
But thats the thing no one knows...We could have tried to bust the bank for a player we just havent been told. Obviously I want signings in & Ive no idea whats going on behind the scenes. The more folk talk about penny pinching the more it becomes a 'fact'. I know you know that the money we can offer is just one part of the equation. By not getting players in super quick it tells us nothing, the only reasons we have for this are the stories we are telling ourselves (and each other and I realise thats part of a discussion board). Non of them fact until we have some real evidence to back them up.

Yer no wrong there I suppose :aok:

bingo70
17-01-2019, 10:14 AM

“No”

You work in the Hibs recruitment department don't you?

Hibs: "How much is Scott Allan going to cost you in wages in the next 6 months?"

Celtic: "£180k"

Hibs: "That's a lot of money for a player you are never going to play. Halfers?"

Celtic: "Great, thanks Hibs, you've just saved us £90k and you get a player you really want with no rival teams to compete with. What a great deal all round"

Everyone's happy :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Why would Celtic so definitely say no? According to Lennon we haven’t even pursued the idea of how much Allan would cost so it’s obviously not something we’ve offered yet.

I'm staggered that you still believe a word that comes out of our managers mouth, and take it as gospel.

He along with EVERY other manager will try and deceive everyone who's not in the know to get their targets in?

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 10:51 AM
I'm staggered that you still believe a word that comes out of our managers mouth, and take it as gospel.

He along with EVERY other manager will try and deceive everyone who's not in the know to get their targets in?

He seemed pretty honest about trying to get Gauld in and that was in the press we were in talks? Why would he lie about wanting a player it’s 6 months left on his contract who isn’t anywhere near getting a game? Also, as he’s still not anywhere near match sharp you would think we would like any deal to be done as soon as possible to get him up to speed?

calumhibee1
17-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Now before I say this I will point out that it wasn’t you that was debating this point recently. However, we recently had posters discussing The Cats exile and his version of events regarding the Scott Allan transfer in the summer. Plenty posters during the discussion were coming out with statements such as “If Lennon has said.. (whatever it was he said).. at the AGM then I’ll believe Lennon over The Cat, we’ve no reason not to believe him”. I’m paraphrasing, but it was along those lines.

It seems to be the way that if Lennon says something which shows Hibs in a good light then we’ve to believe him. If Lennon says something which Hibs fans question however, such as us having not pursued Scott Allan, then we’ve to put it down as a white lie, not believe him and presume we have done even though we’ve been told we haven’t.

As 90+2 has said, he’s been honest enough about the Gauld transfer. He’s even alluded to us being interested in Morgan. Are we just not to believe him on this one because we don’t want it to be true?

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 11:02 AM

So what's your solution? If a player opts to sit and wait until the end of the window to see what the best option is, how do you sign him before that?

oldbutdim
17-01-2019, 11:04 AM
So what's your solution? If a player opts to sit and wait until the end of the window to see what the best option is, how do you sign him before that?

You just DO!!

It's not rocket science.

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 11:04 AM
You just DO!!

It's not rocket science.

What is 'do'?

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 11:07 AM

My solution is to identify players that want to come to us either at the start or towards the start of a transfer window and build a team on that basis. We've had 5 months since August to do exactly that. Not identify players we might get if nobody else want's them towards the end of the window when they will be a)not match fit or b)have every chance to bump us leaving us with nothing. Once the window is closed we move on and prepare for the summer to hit the ground running and have the team sorted before August with the added bonus of perhaps getting a higher quality of player in the off chance of them not having a club towards the end of the window and certainly not base our whole recruitment drive on waiting for players at the end of the month as historically it hardly ever works out for the best.

If a player wants to wait until the end of the window before finalising his options then the player is obviously not eager enough in the first place to come to us and we move on unless it's exceptional talent and a one off - not 4 or 5 players giving us a maybe but wait.

mcfly
17-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I think you just have to sit tight and wait and see who we sign.

The board aren’t daft. We need around 4-5 players just to get through the season as the squad is small.

Season ticket renewals will be coming in next couple of months. They know that these can drop off as quickly as the were renewed if the club don’t show the same ambition as the fans would like.

The transfer window is too long anyway - everything seems to be done last week in January leaving us to speculate as we have done for 166 pages with 1 new signing.

bingo70
17-01-2019, 11:10 AM

I think there will be times that is unavoidable.

IMO what is being discussed here is how to minimise those situations.

Waiting until the end of the window for cheaper deals or more players becoming available can be a bit of a false economy IMO, especially if it costs us places in the league table or even a place in the next round of the cup (although you'd assume we'd have enough to beat Elgin regardless).

superfurryhibby
17-01-2019, 11:13 AM
I love a Kafkaesque discussion around transfers which may or may not take place, with a wide range of strongly held opinions on matters which no one on here really knows anything about. So much energy expended on rumours with no substance, to such little avail.

Admirable commitment to the post count from some though.

Mango Man
17-01-2019, 11:14 AM
I think you are right, I have him blocked on Twitter, must have been a reason for that 😂

I just recently added that page on twitter, such a weird account, why would a Hearts fan set up a Hibs ITK page that comes up with random transfer news, it's not like it's outrageous transfers either, really strange thing to do.

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 11:17 AM
My solution is to identify players that want to come to us either at the start or towards the start of a transfer window and build a team on that basis. We've had 5 months since August to do exactly that. Not identify players we might get if nobody else want's them towards the end of the window when they will be a)not match fit or b)have every chance to bump us leaving us with nothing. Once the window is closed we move on and prepare for the summer to hit the ground running and have the team sorted before August with the added bonus of perhaps getting a higher quality of player in the off chance of them not having a club towards the end of the window and certainly not base our whole recruitment drive on waiting for players at the end of the month as historically it hardly ever works out for the best.

Can't imagine anyone at our club has ever thought of that.

For me your philosophy negates the vast number of variables. Agents, players, competition, other clubs, finances.

I respect your vision of transfer utopia but think you are being quite naive.

Perhaps might work with players who feel they are making a step up (Simon Murray for example) and are desperate to sign, but for players of a higher calibre, I'd say your view is fanciful at best.

Reading your posts suggest to me that you are new to how transfer windows generally work. Not just for us, but most other clubs.

Relax my friend and show faith that our club know what they are doing.

One Day Soon
17-01-2019, 11:17 AM
You work in the Hibs recruitment department don't you?

Hibs: "How much is Scott Allan going to cost you in wages in the next 6 months?"

Hibs: "That's a lot of money for a player you are never going to play. Halfers?"

Celtic: "Great, thanks Hibs, you've just saved us £90k and you get a player you really want with no rival teams to compete with. What a great deal all round"

Everyone's happy :greengrin

Or:

Celtic: "Interesting. We know you want him, everybody and his dog knows you want him. If we hold on to him until the end of the window there's a fair chance someone might actually offer to pay us money for him - or even pay more of his remaining wage than you will. And if we do that it ups the ante on you guys because you know that you might lose him by not acting early and paying us more than you want to. So we'll sit tight thanks unless you fancy giving us £200,000/£300,000/£400,000 to buy him. His wage is already factored into our monthly costs so its no biggie for us to let that run down while we play you off against the rest of the UK transfer market."

Hibs: "We can't afford that, especially when he's not been playing this season so he won't be worth much to us as a playing asset until near the end of the season once he's match fit."

Celtic: "We take your point. But since its your problem not ours we don't really give a ****. We've got loads of midfielders. Remember when you played hardball with us over the the player we wanted and needed? Well all that's going on here is us doing the same over Allan as you did with McGinn."

Hibs: "Hibs.net won't be happy. The cliques will go mental. Only the Happy Clappers can save you now.

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2019, 11:18 AM
I love a Kafkaesque discussion around transfers which may or may not take place, with a wide range of strongly held opinions on matters which no one on here really knows anything about. So much energy expended on rumours with no substance, to such little avail.

I knew that Camus was a goalie, but where does Kafka play?

And would he take a drop in wages to come to us?

And, given his Metamorphosis, is it fair to say that his legs have gone? :cb

oldbutdim
17-01-2019, 11:19 AM
What is 'do'?

Sign him.

:aok:

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 11:24 AM
I think there will be times that is unavoidable.

IMO what is being discussed here is how to minimise those situations.

Waiting until the end of the window for cheaper deals or more players becoming available can be a bit of a false economy IMO, especially if it costs us places in the league table or even a place in the next round of the cup (although you'd assume we'd have enough to beat Elgin regardless).

My point is that more often or not, the delay in signing players is often out of our hands.

I've no doubt that our club are doing everything they can to get the players they want in asap. Sadly we live in a world where there are many other clubs trying to do the same.

SquashedFrogg
17-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Sign him.

:aok:

Ah, never thought of that solution. Maybe we will.

Bostonhibby
17-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Or:

Celtic: "Interesting. We know you want him, everybody and his dog knows you want him. If we hold on to him until the end of the window there's a fair chance someone might actually offer to pay us money for him - or even pay more of his remaining wage than you will. And if we do that it ups the ante on you guys because you know that you might lose him by not acting early and paying us more than you want to. So we'll sit tight thanks unless you fancy giving us £200,000/£300,000/£400,000 to buy him. His wage is already factored into our monthly costs so its no biggie for us to let that run down while we play you off against the rest of the UK transfer market."

Hibs: "We can't afford that, especially when he's not been playing this season so he won't be worth much to us as a playing asset until near the end of the season once he's match fit."

Celtic: "We take your point. But since its your problem not ours we don't really give a ****. We've got loads of midfielders. Remember when you played hardball with us over the the player we wanted and needed? Well all that's going on here is us doing the same over Allan as you did with McGinn."

Hibs: "Hibs.net won't be happy. The cliques will go mental. Only the Happy Clappers can save you now.[emoji106]

But should we maybe ask them to throw Griffiths in as well, just to sweeten the deal?[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Can't imagine anyone at our club has ever thought of that.

While you are being wide, you did ask and you got an answer.

For me your philosophy negates the vast number of variables. Agents, players, competition, other clubs, finances.

Yes, I agree it does, we have 5 months from the summer to work on this though with the variables.

I respect your vision of transfer utopia but think you are being quite naive.

I feel its more naive to take the "wait and see at the end of the month, better players then" attitude because it very rarely works out. And for the reason it rarely works out it's very concerning what position we find ourselves both league position wise and squad wise.

Perhaps might work with players who feel they are making a step up (Simon Murray for example) and are desperate to sign, but for players of a higher calibre, I'd say your view is fanciful at best.

Well, what's your suggestion then? Because all I can see is you giving excuse after excuse why something won't work. What clearly doesn't work is the scattergun end of window approach and never will.

Reading your posts suggest to me that you are new to how transfer windows generally work. Not just for us, but most other clubs.

No, I'm anything but new as to how transfer windows work and specifically how it ends up at the club signing loads of players towards the end of the window.

Relax my friend and show faith that our club know what they are doing

Based on what? The summer? Last summer? Numerous windows before that?

Perhaps the club need a fresh approach as our transfer window policy on the whole is failing. Perhaps as you seem to know how it works you can suggest better than sitting and waiting to see? :confused:

Iain G
17-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Left back, and as a player he was very similar in style to Yannick Zambernardi. In fact the term Kafkaesque was adopted in honour of his raking booming crossfield balls that were reckoned to be Zambernardiesque.

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 11:30 AM
My point is that more often or not, the delay in signing players is often out of our hands.

I've no doubt that our club are doing everything they can to get the players they want in asap. Sadly we live in a world where there are many other clubs trying to do the same.

Is there evidence of this? And if so why not move on to another target? It's not as if sitting and waiting for players works for us all the time is it?

bingo70
17-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Or:

Hibs: "Hibs.net won't be happy. The cliques will go mental. Only the Happy Clappers can save you now.

This could go on and on :greengrin

Of course i simplified the negotiation for effect. My point was though that if we offer an incentive Celtic to accept an early offer we've a better chance than just playing the long game and waiting until he gets released and hoping for the best.

Yes, it will cost us a bit more but sometimes that's just whats needed. Not doing so could cost us the player and ultimately league placings.

If we just ask them to free him like the initial poster (was it you? not sure) then of course they will say no, why wouldn't they?

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Or:

Or what about:
Hibs: "no problem Celtic, as the player want's to come to us and you aren't willing to release or loan him we will get him on a PCA and work towards having him in right at the very start of pre-season training"
Celtic: "are you sure, we are of the understanding reading hibs.net the better players like Allan will keep you waiting all summer before giving you an answer"?
Hibs: "are you sure about that? Aberdeen, Rangers and Hearts all had players signed on PCA's last season? but you're probably right and they players are probably the ***** players that no other clubs are interested in! Thanks"

Baader
17-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Kafka flies down the wing. We should sign him.

One Day Soon
17-01-2019, 11:42 AM
if only our management team would read Hibs.net and take lessons from people who have never conducted this activity in their lives we would be so much better off.

matty_f
17-01-2019, 11:50 AM
I'm sure there are people in jobs who aren't great at them, but we could consider that the people employed in roles at Hibs to work on transfers - that have made a career out of doing it- will probably have an idea of how to go about it.

CropleyWasGod
17-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Kafka flies down the wing. We should sign him.

Get him in on Trial. :cb

One Day Soon
Since Kafka is now rumoured as a signing prospect we should consider carefully what he might mean to both the Bedwetters and the Happy Clappers of .net.

For Bedwetters he offers this: "I have the true feeling of myself only when I am unbearably unhappy."

For Happy Clappers it's this: "In theory there is a possibility of perfect happiness: To believe in the indestructible element within one, and not to strive towards it."

I say sign him now, whatever it takes. We've needed a midfield miserabilist for a long time and I'm not sure we'll find a better one by waiting until the end of the window.

One Day Soon
I'm sure there are people in jobs who aren't great at them, but we could consider that the people employed in roles at Hibs to work on transfers - that have made a career out of doing it- will probably have an idea of how to go about it.

That's crazy talk.

bingo70
17-01-2019, 11:55 AM
if only our management team would read Hibs.net and take lessons from people who have never conducted this activity in their lives we would be so much better off.

Of course you are right but you could say that about anything that gets discussed on this board.

How can that One Day Soon say that Kamberi is pish, he's never played football at this level?

How can Bingo70 say that team selection is wrong, what does he know? he's never been a manager.

End of the day it's a message board for Hibs fans to discuss Hibs related matters, the topic of the moment is the lack of activity in the transfer market when Lennon has been so vocal in wanting players in. Of course we are going to speculate as to what could be getting done better. I'm sure some of it will be nonsense however it would make for a pretty dull message board if nobody said anything because the professionals paid to do the job know better than we do.

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Sorry but that is the exact purpose of the messageboard. It's for fans to express opinion, speculate, debate, discuss and much more.

If all you are interested in is definitive news coming direct from those who know whats going on then this isn't the website for you. The official site would be more to your liking.

MrRobot
17-01-2019, 11:56 AM

“No”

Hope this was funnier in your head as its truly stinking patter.

Elephant Stone
17-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Hope this was funnier in your head as its truly stinking patter.

Bit of an over-reaction :hilarious Bad day?

MrRobot
17-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Bit of an over-reaction :hilarious Bad day?

Nah, just didnt find it very funny :greengrin

One Day Soon
17-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Of course you are right but you could say that about anything that gets discussed on this board.

How can that One Day Soon say that Kamberi is pish, he's never played football at this level?

How can Bingo70 say that team selection is wrong, what does he know? he's never been a manager.

End of the day it's a message board for Hibs fans to discuss Hibs related matters, the topic of the moment is the lack of activity in the transfer market when Lennon has been so vocal in wanting players in. Of course we are going to speculate as to what could be getting done better. I'm sure some of it will be nonsense however it would make for a pretty dull message board if nobody said anything because the professionals paid to do the job know better than we do.

'apparent' lack of activity.

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2019, 12:10 PM

So what? Every single person involved in professional football the world over knows the game better than your average fan does but if we start going at every topic with that attitude then we'd soon find that we'd be having very short discussions. It's a very odd stance to take from two posters with a combined total of 25 years and 45,000 posts between them.

Every time someone started a thread an bot could just autoreply with 'people who work professionally in football have a better understanding than you do therefore no further discussion is needed'.

matty_f
17-01-2019, 12:22 PM
So what? Every single person involved in professional football the world over knows the game better than your average fan does but if we start going at every topic with that attitude then we'd soon find that we'd be having very short discussions. It's a very odd stance to take from two posters with a combined total of 25 years and 45,000 posts between them.

Every time someone started a thread an bot could just autoreply with 'people who work professionally in football have a better understanding than you do therefore no further discussion is needed'.

I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss it, but we've got pages of chat here about the recruitment team being either ineffective or incompetent with folk saying what should be happening, as if any of us really know (some will, of course).

Doesn't mean that we should stop discussing it but before we get carried away it's with remembering that folk do it as a job so maybe know what they're doing.

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 12:22 PM
'apparent' lack of activity.

How's it apparent? The only player we have actively brought to the club is Gauld.

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 12:24 PM
I'm not saying people shouldn't discuss it, but we've got pages of chat here about the recruitment team being either ineffective or incompetent with folk saying what should be happening, as if any of us really know (some will, of course).

Doesn't mean that we should stop discussing it but before we get carried away it's with remembering that folk do it as a job so maybe know what they're doing.

That's a discussion in itself surely because lately there's been little evidence of this.

500miles
17-01-2019, 12:25 PM
How's it apparent? The only player we have actively brought to the club is Gauld.

Tommy Block.

The 90+2
17-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Tommy Block.

Wasn't that in December for the development team? A promising signing for the future but unsure he's going to get us out the bottom half of the league.

bigwheel
17-01-2019, 12:29 PM

Because that is about signings not activity , Hibs will be very active ..number of signings does not correlate to activity ...you are determined to take a negative position in this . So you will no doubt answer with “activity
Without signings doesn’t make any difference”...

Why not just chill and see how we get on?

matty_f
17-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Tommy Block.

And the keeper.

oldbutdim
17-01-2019, 12:30 PM

It's 'apparent' because we don't know if frenzied discussions are going on at present............... or not.

My_Wife_Camille
17-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Sorry Matty but with respect, that reads like the same thing to me.

J-C
17-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Tommy Block.

Has he even been signed by Hibs, nothing from them that he has.

SirDavidsNapper
17-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Thank goodness for the transfer windows. Imagine it was the old system where you could sign any player at any time. Im sick of hearing about Scott Allan as it is now!

superfurryhibby
17-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Sorry but that is the exact purpose of the messageboard. It's for fans to express opinion, speculate, debate, discuss and much more.

If all you are interested in is definitive news coming direct from those who know whats going on then this isn't the website for you. The official site would be more to your liking.

Thanks for the advice boss, but I’ll carry on loving the endless crap posted on here if that’s alright with you.