PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Winter transfer thread - repetitive discussion only (hardly any transfer news)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RossScott1991
15-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Cummings uploading quite a funny video on instagram today of him sprinting through streets in Edinburgh to Rocky Balboa music.

would love to see him back, hammer of the hearts.

Scotty Leither
15-01-2019, 02:47 PM
That's frustrating because the mighty Livingston might sign someone while we're waiting.

But they'll cease to be "mighty" if we start signing their best players, Matty 😉

Ozyhibby
15-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Adam Rooney as well picked the sheep over us

Probably the most expensive missed signing of them all. Rod saving money on Rooney cost us £millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peevemor
15-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Probably the most expensive missed signing of them all. Rod saving money on Rooney cost us £millions.

Who says it was Rod?

Maybe the manager decides how much of his budget he wants to use on a specific player?

Michael
15-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Not necessarily. He's a good player, but I don't think he is so good that he'd be a guaranteed success for Hibs.

Was a good fit for Aberdeen, but he had a good team around him. At the time we had a pretty weak team all over the park.

Borderhibbie76
15-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Bryson, Milligan, Whittaker, we could have our very own Still Game midfield.We r challenging Sevco 2012 for highest average age apparently lol [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
15-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Adam Rooney as well picked the sheep over us

And then picked Salford City over the sheep. Not sure his judgement is that great when it comes to clubs but definitely is when it comes to money!

J-C
15-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Again as someone posted earlier, I thought we only offered Rooney a loan deal and he was wanting a permanent one which Aberdeen duly offered.

Borderhibbie76
15-01-2019, 03:25 PM
What worries me is it's very much a lennon signing.

Every year with Lennon the transfer policy is short term fixes, less building for 2/3 seasons unlike majority stubbs signings.

Always feels like we are swimming towards the tide at times with NL. Loans /Short term loans, Holt / Milligan / Commons aging. 2 January windows in a row required to 'Save our season' NL leaves tomorrow he would leave the next manager a poor squad needing surgery in the summer all over again.

It's my biggest grumble with him. There needs to be a vision/structure in getting youth and experience right and start pushing boat out for signings tied down long term. Board too of course.

Just my opinionSpot on...not a fan of Lennons signing policy at all and like you say second Jan window in a row we've had to build half a team due to his poor summer windows - it's a concern moving forward. In my honest opinion though I can see Lennon leaving in Summer and I wonder if the Board are aware of this hence only sanctioning 6 month deals this window???
I'm not in the know at all...just a feeling I have he will be off at end of season.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Who says it was Rod?

Maybe the manager decides how much of his budget he wants to use on a specific player?

Aberdeen offered him a permanent deal we could only offer a(nother) loan.

Danderhall Hibs
15-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Again as someone posted earlier, I thought we only offered Rooney a loan deal and he was wanting a permanent one which Aberdeen duly offered.

Didn’t we sign James Collins instead (they were both at the same club at the time). Collins was the more highly rated of the 2 at the time.

Brightside
15-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Who says it was Rod?

Its .net rule. When we dont make a signing its down to Rod being tight. :greengrin

Diclonius
15-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Didn’t we sign James Collins instead (they were both at the same club at the time). Collins was the more highly rated of the 2 at the time.

We signed Collins after we failed to get Lyle Taylor. We signed Danny Haynes instead of Rooney.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 03:39 PM

Collins came in the summer I’m sure Aberdeen went for Rooney in January hence where our loan offer came from.

BILLYHIBS
15-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Not sure, maybe that was in between his Airdrie and Dundee united days.

Derek Adam had recommended him from his early Ross County days

Another that got away GMS was apparently a Hibby while growing up in Wick

Ozyhibby
15-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Not necessarily. He's a good player, but I don't think he is so good that he'd be a guaranteed success for Hibs.

Was a good fit for Aberdeen, but he had a good team around him. At the time we had a pretty weak team all over the park.

I think he might have done better for us in the 2nd half of the season in 2014 than James Collins did. Just a hunch mind you.
Not offering him a permanent contract was a terrible mistake.
We only needed one win for about 6 weeks but just could not score goals. We were dreadful up front. Rooney could definitely have helped but at least we saved some money short term even if it cost us £millions over the next three years.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 04:02 PM
I think he might have done better for us in the 2nd half of the season in 2014 than James Collins did. Just a hunch mind you.
We only needed one win for about 6 weeks but just could not score goals. We were dreadful up front. Rooney could definitely have helped but at least we saved some money short term even if it cost us £millions over the next three years.

More importantly Rooney would have been a Butcher player. What happened happened though and we wouldn’t have won the Cup if we didn’t go down.

matty_f
15-01-2019, 04:12 PM
But they'll cease to be "mighty" if we start signing their best players, Matty 😉

This is true mate :aok: :greengrin

Gmack7
15-01-2019, 04:21 PM

David Platt( not the corrie creep)if only we coughed up the £150K

neil7908
15-01-2019, 04:29 PM
I think the type of players they are is of huge relevance.

Centre half's and forwards can play well into their 30's. Midfielders generally play differently and become more defensive and play the sitting role. Wingers are normally done by the time they are in their 30's and full backs become more defensive and don't bomb up and down the way they did in their prime. Keepers come into their prime at that age.

There's obviously exceptions to every rule but in general terms i think the above is normally what we can expect.

This 100%. No issue with us signing more experienced players but 32 year old Bryson would join 33 year old Miligan and 31 year Bartley in competing for a defensive midfield role. That doesn't sound like great squad management imo and we need some energy and legs in the middle of the park.

Good teams always have a mix of old and young but as other posters have said giving big deals to guys in their 30s is a risky business.

Even mega rich clubs like Man City, Arsenal, Man United etc won't do those kind of deals.

Here’s Lucy!
15-01-2019, 04:33 PM
David Platt( not the corrie creep)if only we coughed up the £150K

Correct.

As I put on the 'Favourite Hibs rumour' thread, Alex Miller didn't think he was good enough for us.

This was before he played for Villa, Sampdoria, Bari (amongst others) and gained about 3 million caps for England!!

Nice one, Alex. :rolleyes:

04Sauzee
15-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Correct.

As I put on the 'Favourite Hibs rumour' thread, Alex Miller didn't think he was good enough for us.

This was before he played for Villa, Sampdoria, Bari (amongst others) and gained about 3 million caps for England!!

Nice one, Alex. :rolleyes:

I thought we had agreed a fee and then Villa gazumped us with a late offer of £175k could be totally wrong though.

Here’s Lucy!
15-01-2019, 04:40 PM
I thought we had agreed a fee and then Villa gazumped us with a late offer of £175k could be totally wrong though.

Never heard that one before, but that doesn't mean you're wrong!

killie-hibby
15-01-2019, 04:52 PM

I remember Miller travelled South to watch him at a Friday night game.Signed Gareth Evans that same night.

CmoantheHibs
15-01-2019, 04:55 PM

That is my recollection of it too.

mcfly
15-01-2019, 04:56 PM
This 100%. No issue with us signing more experienced players but 32 year old Bryson would join 33 year old Miligan and 31 year Bartley in competing for a defensive midfield role. That doesn't sound like great squad management imo and we need some energy and legs in the middle of the park.

Good teams always have a mix of old and young but as other posters have said giving big deals to guys in their 30s is a risky business.

Even mega rich clubs like Man City, Arsenal, Man United etc won't do those kind of deals.

Didn’t realise Bryson was a holding midfielder - i thought he was more attacking.

I’m sure a player of his level would do very very well at hibs should we be able to sign him, 32 is not old.

How we can afford him is another matter.

Heisenberg
15-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Didn’t realise Bryson was a holding midfielder - i thought he was more attacking.

I’m sure a player of his level would do very very well at hibs should we be able to sign him, 32 is not old.

The last line is obviously key. If he’s desperate to get back up north then he’ll be aware of the massive pay cut coming his way. He’s got huge ties to Kilmarnock and I could see him going back there. Also not sure if he’d be too keen to walk away from his Derby contract early and move this month.

Hibee Mac
15-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Still not being linked to a real box to box midfielder for the 2nd window in a row after losing McGinn which is worrying.

I understand we are not going to be able to afford another McGinn as he left but we should be looking for someone young to fill that massive gap in our team.

brog
15-01-2019, 05:15 PM

If we had avoided relegation by 1 point Butcher would probably have kept his job. Therefore no Stubbs & no Scottish Cup which transformed our club, our attendances & our finances. Possibly missing out on Rooney was the best thing that ever happened to our club. Incidentally IIRC Collins had a better scoring record than Rooney at Swindon & Collins is now playing at a higher level.

bingo70
15-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Still not being linked to a real box to box midfielder for the 2nd window in a row after losing McGinn which is worrying.

I understand we are not going to be able to afford another McGinn as he left but we should be looking for someone young to fill that massive gap in our team.

I think that’s what Bryson is?

I’ve got my concerns about his energy levels at his age but i think he is a box to box midfielder.

brog
15-01-2019, 05:21 PM

Bryson is a box to box midfielder as you say. It may be though that he's moved back a bit in last season or so because of injuries/age. I last saw him in the flesh 2 seasons ago & he was outstanding, best player on the park.

Zazu62
15-01-2019, 05:24 PM
If we had avoided relegation by 1 point Butcher would probably have kept his job. Therefore no Stubbs & no Scottish Cup which transformed our club, our attendances & our finances. Possibly missing out on Rooney was the best thing that ever happened to our club. Incidentally IIRC Collins had a better scoring record than Rooney at Swindon & Collins is now playing at a higher level.

Butcher was a goner regardless. Dempster wanted him out.

S4uzee
15-01-2019, 05:25 PM
Surely signing Bryson isn’t realistic ... started for Derby on Friday.

Captain Trips
15-01-2019, 05:31 PM

There may well be factors involved that we will not know about but Hibs will that could make the move possible.

Stuart93
15-01-2019, 05:35 PM
There may well be factors involved that we will not know about but Hibs will that could make the move possible.

Wife’s pregnant and supposedly wants to move back up here

Also out of contract in the summer

AlbertK86
15-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Who says it was Rod?

Aberdeen offered him a contract.

We offered a loan deal for 6 months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hibee Mac
15-01-2019, 05:49 PM
I think that’s what Bryson is?

I’ve got my concerns about his energy levels at his age but i think he is a box to box midfielder.

I agree with you his energy levels are likely lower which leads me to say he won't be a box to box replacement. I am totally guessing there tbf as I've not seen Bryson play...

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 05:54 PM

I agree with all of that and I’m weirdly happy how it all worked out. Rooney was in his prime though and Collins a gamble. Butcher wanted Rooney to punt Collins as he didn’t work hard enough.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Yes it is. He’s been given Derby’s blessing to leave.

Lago
15-01-2019, 06:03 PM
And on the money he's reported to be on, 30k a month?
Just paper talk in my opinion.

Heisenberg
15-01-2019, 06:08 PM
And on the money he's reported to be on, 30k a month?
Just paper talk in my opinion.

He’s wanting to move back to Scotland.

Bostonhibby
15-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Family yam says Bryson is a hearts fan and they are definitely in for him.

Mind you if he told me it was dark at night I'd still stay up to check.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
15-01-2019, 06:15 PM

We really really need legs in the middle. We’ve been massively lacking in that department.

GordonHFC
15-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Celtic fan is he not?

Bostonhibby
15-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Celtic fan is he not?More than likely. Family yams a bellend.

I'll wait a couple of hours then get my cousin to text to tell him Brysons going to celtc [emoji5]

Inconsequential
15-01-2019, 06:29 PM
I read another report online today linking Hibs with Jack Hendry on a six month loan. A player Celtic paid 1.5 million for a year ago. Still some say no. A 23 year old with Spl experience. Of course we only sign veterans.

neil7908
15-01-2019, 06:30 PM

I could be wrong as its a while since I've seen him play but his stats don't look like those of an attacking midfielder.

This season after 19 matches he was 2 goals, 2 assists and 6 yellow cards.

In 2016/17 he played 34 games and had the same number of goals and assists with 7 yellow cards.

He's maybe not an out and out DM but there aren't many box to box midfielders at 32.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 06:34 PM

He’s a hun.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 06:34 PM
I read another report online today linking Hibs with Jack Hendry on a six month loan. A player Celtic paid 1.5 million for a year ago. Still some say no. A 23 year old with Spl experience. Of course we only sign veterans.

Or loans

calumhibee1
15-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Celtic fan is he not?

He’s from Rutherglen. Of course he could well support Hearts but I’d suggest it’s highly unlikely.

Smartie
15-01-2019, 06:36 PM
I love when folks on here turn their noses up to players because of their age.

Probably the same posters who'd have us sign Dobbie in a heartbeat.

Norwich fans had Naismith down as finished as well and he seems to be doing ok.

I don't want us to sign a 32 year old box to box midfielder whose previous club's fans have said his legs have gone.

Some of our best signings have been older players, but normally when they've been excellent players and at times when we were crying out for their attributes.

Mixu never had pace to lose, was outstanding at holding the ball up and winning the ball in the air, he was one of that team's most important players.

Sauzee was a class above, and the speed of thought he had was unlike anything I've ever seen. Very clever player.

If you've got a team of keen youngsters to do the running you sometimes need an old head or 2 to help them along.

Our team is crying out for pace, energy and legs, and you're not going to get that with a 32 year old looking to come back home and see out his career.

Ally McCoist went for old heads that year we were in the Championship with them and players like Scott Allan wiped the floor with them. I'm very worried that Lennon is wanting to go down the same route.

Smartie
15-01-2019, 06:40 PM
I could be wrong as its a while since I've seen him play but his stats don't look like those of an attacking midfielder.

This season after 19 matches he was 2 goals, 2 assists and 6 yellow cards.

In 2016/17 he played 34 games and had the same number of goals and assists with 7 yellow cards.

He's maybe not an out and out DM but there aren't many box to box midfielders at 32.

*Cough Ed de Graaf cough*

bingo70
15-01-2019, 06:54 PM
I don't want us to sign a 32 year old box to box midfielder whose previous club's fans have said his legs have gone.

Some of our best signings have been older players, but normally when they've been excellent players and at times when we were crying out for their attributes.

Mixu never had pace to lose, was outstanding at holding the ball up and winning the ball in the air, he was one of that team's most important players.

Sauzee was a class above, and the speed of thought he had was unlike anything I've ever seen. Very clever player.

If you've got a team of keen youngsters to do the running you sometimes need an old head or 2 to help them along.

Our team is crying out for pace, energy and legs, and you're not going to get that with a 32 year old looking to come back home and see out his career.

Ally McCoist went for old heads that year we were in the Championship with them and players like Scott Allan wiped the floor with them. I'm very worried that Lennon is wanting to go down the same route.

Agreed.

He’d be our Don Cowie if we sign him imo.

SouthMoroccoStu
15-01-2019, 07:02 PM
*Cough Ed de Graaf cough*

That’s a pound for the swear jar

HoboHarry
15-01-2019, 07:06 PM
That’s a pound for the swear jar
Liberal pansy. I'd flog him in the town square......

Wee Effen Bee
15-01-2019, 07:10 PM
You mean a bit feather down the line?

Dam, water lot of pond life! If you don’t quit with the ducking puns, algae all of you a feathering. Reed into that what you bill you shallow lot.

Hfc_Since1875
15-01-2019, 07:16 PM
He’s a hun.

He’s not. 100% a Celtic fan. Know someone who played with him before he went down south.

Allant1981
15-01-2019, 07:23 PM

He has been gash for Celtic and no better than what we have

SMAXXA
15-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Can the admins look into developing a like feature on here, I agree with a lot of good posts just can’t be arsed always replying and quoting 😉😘

SouthMoroccoStu
15-01-2019, 07:31 PM
He’s not. 100% a Celtic fan. Know someone who played with him before he went down south.

So he’s definitely a Celtic Jambo Hun fan

Good, that’s that cleared up

Zazu62
15-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Can the admins look into developing a like feature on here, I agree with a lot of good posts just can’t be arsed always replying and quoting 😉😘

A like feature would be decent

Diclonius
15-01-2019, 07:32 PM

No way, he's a Clyde fan!

Souter96Mac
15-01-2019, 07:35 PM
No way, he's a Clyde fan!

I heard he supported Gretna until they got liquidated.

Ozyhibby
15-01-2019, 07:52 PM
I’d take Jack Hendry if it was a permanent deal. Rebuilding his confidence is not going to be instant so no good for a loan deal. There is a decent player in there though and worth taking on a permanent deal if Celtic want to move him on.

calumhibee1
15-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Quite like that idea.

04Sauzee
15-01-2019, 08:10 PM
I’d take Jack Hendry if it was a permanent deal. Rebuilding his confidence is not going to be instant so no good for a loan deal. There is a decent player in there though and worth taking on a permanent deal if Celtic want to move him on.

So would I but can't see Celtic taking a big hit on the 1M or 1.5M they paid for him

Ozyhibby
15-01-2019, 08:13 PM
So would I but can't see Celtic taking a big hit on the 1M or 1.5M they paid for him

They will have to sooner or later. They have no intention of playing him now and he’s 23 years old so not a youth player now. I don’t think there are any clubs out there that will pay a fee for him now. Best they can do is save themselves some wages by moving him on.

SMAXXA
15-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Quite like that idea.

Could also build up the posters who talk most sense with most likes and a dislike one for the guff talkers 😂. Soooo admins.....chances?

J-C
15-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Could also build up the posters who talk most sense with most likes and a dislike one for the guff talkers 😂. Soooo admins.....chances?

They have one on the sports Interactive Football Manager forums, as you say very handy instead of having to reply with a thumps up or smiley every time you like someone's post.

Speedway
15-01-2019, 08:43 PM

What if the bellends voted down the sense talkers with their dislikes?

Libby Hibby
15-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Bryson would be a terrible signing, especially on a long term deal. His legs have already gone which is why he has only played 5 games this season. I’m sure someone will mention the age we signed Sauzee but let’s face it, Craig Bryson was never the player Sauzee was. We will regret this signing.
We’ll soon be providing more pensions than Standard Life.
Hopefully this is all nonsense. If not it shows we are not learning.

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

If he signed, he would simply become the best midfielder on our books.

SMAXXA
15-01-2019, 08:51 PM

Just have a likes then no dislikes so either like it or don’t and you can comment to disagree could be a solution to that 🤷🏼*♂️

Ozyhibby
15-01-2019, 08:51 PM
Why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

If he signed, he would simply become the best midfielder on our books.

That’s was posted 11 hours ago and Was corrected 10.5 hours ago. Do keep up.

Hibernian32
15-01-2019, 08:57 PM
They will have to sooner or later. They have no intention of playing him now and he’s 23 years old so not a youth player now. I don’t think there are any clubs out there that will pay a fee for him now. Best they can do is save themselves some wages by moving him on.

Same could be with Allan mate, the smelly's will want something anything

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Same could be with Allan mate, the smelly's will want something anything

Nah, they rote him off 2 years ago and want him gone.

One Day Soon
15-01-2019, 09:08 PM

Congratulations.

Sorry about the job.

Unseen work
15-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Think we will get Bryson.

04Sauzee
15-01-2019, 09:37 PM
Think we will get Bryson.

In the January window or on a pre-contract? Something you have heard or gut instinct?

cmcd
15-01-2019, 09:40 PM
A like feature would be decent

And a dislike

hibeejeebies
15-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Congratulations.

Sorry about the job.

Chuckled a wee bit too much at that.

ScottB
15-01-2019, 09:45 PM

Some forums allow unlimited likes, but a small limit of dislikes per day, and no dislikes at all for users below a given post threshold. Works pretty well really.

Wee Effen Bee
15-01-2019, 09:54 PM
I heard he supported Gretna until they got liquidated.
So he’s a TimbohunbullyweeGretnan then??🤔

Smartie
15-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Some forums allow unlimited likes, but a small limit of dislikes per day, and no dislikes at all for users below a given post threshold. Works pretty well really.

Is that on Pie and Bovril, and is that what they mean when they're on about greenies etc?

I don't post there but sometimes lurk and have a look.

Unseen work
15-01-2019, 10:13 PM
In the January window or on a pre-contract? Something you have heard or gut instinct?

He never said, I imagine it would be now however.

Mate of mine very rarely comes away with stuff and unsure how he comes by his information but was spot on with Fyvie when we got him and said to me a couple of weeks ago about Hendry which I posted before the papers ran with it.

Said were hopeful of getting it concluded mainly due to his family. Rangers interested too but I think their fans have already taken a disliking to him as he was a Celtic fan growing up which has put him off there.

Could well be a load of nonsense but worth sharing imo.

hfc rd
15-01-2019, 10:19 PM

Mate of mine very rarely comes away with stuff and unsure how he comes by his information but was spot on with Fyvie when we got him and said to me a couple of weeks ago about Hendry which I posted before the papers ran with it.

Said were hopeful of getting it concluded mainly due to his family. Rangers interested too but I think their fans have already taken a disliking to him as he was a Celtic fan growing up which has put him off there.

Hope he’s right. Bryson would be an excellent signing. Always impressed me when he plays and I remember him from his early Kilmarnock days as well. Very good midfielder. He’s a regular for Derby County and also helped Cardiff City get promoted to the EPL last season.

Unseen work
15-01-2019, 10:26 PM
Hope he’s right. Bryson would be an excellent signing. Always impressed me when he plays and I remember him from his early Kilmarnock days as well. Very good midfielder. He’s a regular for Derby County and also helped Cardiff City get promoted to the EPL last season.

Likewise mate, was desperate for us to sign him when he left Killie.

very good box to box midfielder with energy, good ability on the ball and tenacious. The exact type of player we need and shows a sign of intent aiming for players like him.

500miles
15-01-2019, 10:28 PM

very good box to box midfielder with energy, good ability on the ball and tenacious. The exact type of player we need and shows a sign of intent aiming for players like him.

Don't believe he has had much in the way of injuries, which is key at his age.

Ozyhibby
15-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Shinnie to Wigan.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3752018/graeme-shinnie-aberdeen-wigan-pre-contract-transfer-news-pittodrie/amp/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Tornadoes70
15-01-2019, 10:37 PM

Seen some posts calling for a 'like' post option. I would have 'liked' this post above because its on topic, decently opinionated and well put.

The Like option makes sense as it might encourage better posts than those who post incessantly and not always in a good way just to get their post numbers up. Quality over Quantity imo.

Anyway aside from that moot point I too would think Bryson would improve the team and be a great signing.

Some people have to be realistic as per our ability to acquire signings. Despite the increased attendances we still have to live within a budget and the board and Lenny will be working very hard behind the scenes to bolster the team.

bookert
15-01-2019, 11:16 PM

You obviously never watched him against leeds at the weekend. It was only one game granted but he was roasted and owned by a young Leeds player - Clarke.

The 90+2
15-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Congratulations.

Sorry about the job.

Anything ever constructive to say apart from digs at posters?

B.H.F.C
15-01-2019, 11:20 PM
You obviously never watched him against leeds at the weekend. It was only one game granted but he was roasted and owned by a young Leeds player - Clarke.

Watched that game and leeds were much the better side.

But the boy Clarke is a winger so he was hardly Bryson’s direct opponent in the middle of the park. The boy did skin him out wide once but I wouldn’t base my opinion of him on that.

ScottB
15-01-2019, 11:23 PM
Is that on Pie and Bovril, and is that what they mean when they're on about greenies etc?

I don't post there but sometimes lurk and have a look.

Not sure, it’s used on an F1 forum I use. The only other method I’ve encountered is likes only.

The_Horde
15-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Just watched it. A bit harsh to say he was roasted IMO. Beaten for pace by a quicker player in a one on one situation in a position on the field that isnt his own
but I've seen that happen to virtually every hibs player this season.

Folk used to run past Mcgeouch almost at will.

Bryson should never have been left one on one there and he's been hung out to dry by his teammates.

hfc rd
15-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Leeds are the best team in that division and look very likely to win promotion.

I’ve seen plenty of good Hibs players in the past struggle against their opponent. Most recently, Ryan Porteous & Paul Hanlon got roasted both by Greg Stewart & Eamonn Brophy at Rugby Park. Doesn’t mean they are bad players.

As mentioned earlier, Craig Bryson would be a very good signing if we can get him.

SteveHFC
16-01-2019, 12:04 AM
Jack Hendry apparently going to Sunderland.

04Sauzee
16-01-2019, 12:07 AM

You can't see any humour in that post?

hfc rd
16-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Yaya Toure to Celtic? He was quite open to a move to Darkheid when asked on MNF.

04Sauzee
16-01-2019, 12:11 AM

Thanks for sharing, if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen could be a number of reasons. Would be a decent signing if we can get him in during January

Haymaker
16-01-2019, 01:07 AM
:hyper

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2019, 02:18 AM

i was quite impressed with him against my 2nd fav team last friday night, even though during the game i didn't realise that was the guy that had been mentioned on here

Stuart93
16-01-2019, 05:30 AM

Good

Allant1981
16-01-2019, 05:42 AM

It was clearly a joke at the pregnancy and being out of contract

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 06:06 AM

Good, can Jack Ross **** off now?

Bangkok Hibby
16-01-2019, 06:36 AM

What if we just acted like adults and don't introduce it. It's not Facebook

theonlywayisup
16-01-2019, 06:37 AM

Congratulations.

Sorry about the job.

:rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2019, 06:38 AM
Ryan Gauld has a 48m release clause in his Sporting Lisbon contract :confused:

Michael
16-01-2019, 06:40 AM

In case he turned out to be the next Messi.

FilipinoHibs
16-01-2019, 06:45 AM

Think that was start of contract. One and a half seasons to go. Half year at Hibs on loan and playing well in our league our not convince anyone - look at Allan. You can pick him up in year on pre-contract or pay sweeties for him.

cabbageandribs1875
16-01-2019, 06:47 AM

:agree:this

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 06:52 AM
Graeme Shinnie probably going to Wigan. Will hopefully put this ridiculous rumour to bed.

SMAXXA
16-01-2019, 06:53 AM

Evolution never a bad thing if sites like this aren’t open to making improvements (as some would see this is, not all maybe) it will get left behind imo. That’s nothing against the people that put their time into this btw sure they do a great job.

Libby Hibby
16-01-2019, 06:58 AM
That’s was posted 11 hours ago and Was corrected 10.5 hours ago. Do keep up.

Apologies, I’m not on here 24/7.

However, it would be handy if you simply don’t make things up to suit your point of view.

Nothing personal, I just can’t stand complete fabrication.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 06:59 AM
Graeme Shinnie probably going to Wigan. Will hopefully put this ridiculous rumour to bed.

You’re joking?

The rumour will now be that we could have got him if Petrie just loosened the purse strings a bit.

Libby Hibby
16-01-2019, 07:03 AM
You’re joking?

The rumour will now be that we could have got him if Petrie just loosened the purse strings a bit.

.Net Fact

BILLYHIBS
16-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Think that was start of contract. One and a half seasons to go. Half year at Hibs on loan and playing well in our league our not convince anyone - look at Allan. You can pick him up in year on pre-contract or pay sweeties for him.

Flagged up on BBC Sport website today

greenpaper55
16-01-2019, 07:37 AM
So, to sum up, 15 days to go and one loanee in. Hardly fills you with confidence about the recruitment team at ER,i get the feeling our board are very happy with mediocrity, as long as we are not relegated and keep our heads above water financially then that seems to be the benchmark.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 07:40 AM
So, to sum up, 15 days to go and one loanee in. Hardly fills you with confidence about the recruitment team at ER,i get the feeling our board are very happy with mediocrity, as long as we are not relegated and keep our heads above water financially then that seems to be the benchmark.

Aren't we best judging at the end of the window?

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 07:49 AM

It's not a great look when Lennon himself said publicly that he wanted 2 or 3 new faces "on the plane" for the training camp in Dubai but instead ended up with one loan signing coming in on the last day. We're miles behind where the manager wanted us to be in terms of recruitment this month.

For a team that urgently needed new players we're looking likely to be going into our first competitive game in 3 weeks and the majority of the way through the transfer window in near enough the same position as we went into our last game - with a heavily depleted, imbalanced squad.

B.H.F.C
16-01-2019, 07:50 AM

We could be doing with having some bodies in for the games before the end of the window. Dropped points in them and even making the top six becomes a push.

Jones28
16-01-2019, 07:51 AM

The forecast isn't great though is it?

SMAXXA
16-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Agree with that, when you look at it who else in our range have been signing like mad, don’t think Aberdeen signed anyone yet, Hearts 1, Motherwell a couple, Livingston 1 and kiili nil. Yes we are behind most of them but not by miles and had we won the Derby would have been a point in it. I’m not saying we don’t need additions we clearly do imo 4/5 his window but I’d rather us take our time and get the right quality as so far I believe we have signed quality.

Like everyone wish players were in now but in reality doesn’t work like that in this window, I’m content to wait it out without panic and trust it will be right by the end of the window

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 07:55 AM
It's not a great look when Lennon himself said publicly that he wanted 2 or 3 new faces "on the plane" for the training camp in Dubai but instead ended up with one loan signing coming in on the last day. We're miles behind where the manager wanted us to be in terms of recruitment this month.

For a team that urgently needed new players we're looking likely to be going into our first competitive game in 3 weeks and the majority of the way though the transfer window in near enough the same position as we went into our last game - with a heavily depleted, imbalanced squad.

We could be doing with having some bodies in for the games before the end of the window. Dropped points in them and even making the top six becomes a push.

The forecast isn't great though is it?

The nature of the January window means that better quality often comes available at the end of the month - I'm sure Lennon is part of the decision making to wait and go for better quality rather than get the wrong types in now. fully expect three more in before end of Jan.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 07:55 AM
Agree with that, when you look at it who else in our range have been signing like mad, don’t think Aberdeen signed anyone yet, Hearts 1, Motherwell a couple, Livingston 1 and kiili nil. Yes we are behind most of them but not by miles and had we won the Derby would have been a point in it. I’m not saying we don’t need additions we clearly do imo 4/5 his window but I’d rather us take our time and get the right quality as so far I believe we have signed quality.

Like everyone wish players were in now but in reality doesn’t work like that in this window, I’m content to wait it out without panic and trust it will be right by the end of the window
:top marks

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 07:59 AM

For a team that urgently needed new players we're looking likely to be going into our first competitive game in 3 weeks and the majority of the way through the transfer window in near enough the same position as we went into our last game - with a heavily depleted, imbalanced squad.

There was absolutely no chance of that happening, just as there is little chance of us going into the Elgin game with any new players but Gauld. For whatever reason we rarely do transfers early, in either window.

J-C
16-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Or maybe Lennon isn't getting backed as much as he wants by the board because of his poor summer signings, we needed major surgery to the squad last year also, just a thought.

Callum_62
16-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Or maybe Lennon isn't getting backed as much as he wants by the board because of his poor summer signings, we needed major surgery to the squad last year also, just a thought.

That would be a ridiculous position by the board

You either back the manager, or get rid of him

Anything in between is terrible leadership

Heisenberg
16-01-2019, 08:25 AM

Lennon has already confirmed the board are backing him very well in this window and that our targets are a bit more expensive than usual. Probably also explains why not much has happened yet if we are in negotiations for these types of signings.

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 08:26 AM

Your signings were **** so you don't get any money to replace them? That doesn't make sense. Just sack him then.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 08:26 AM

We're not really directly comparable to other teams due to the fact we're the ones that have massively underperformed this season. We're the ones that need the major surgery, not them, so I wouldn't expect any of them to go out and do that. Hopefully we'll get some more over the line soon but as someone else said, we've two difficult away games next week in the league. Win neither of them and top 6 will be becoming more and more unlikely.

B.H.F.C
16-01-2019, 08:30 AM
The nature of the January window means that better quality often comes available at the end of the month - I'm sure Lennon is part of the decision making to wait and go for better quality rather than get the wrong types in now. fully expect three more in before end of Jan.

Fine saying that but we were weak and in need of additions before the window opened. Half way through the window and we’re actually in a worse position now than at the start.

Elgin game will take care of itself but we don’t have much time to waste if we want to push up the league.

J-C
16-01-2019, 08:33 AM
That would be a ridiculous position by the board

You either back the manager, or get rid of him

Anything in between is terrible leadership

Lennon has already confirmed the board are backing him very well in this window and that our targets are a bit more expensive than usual. Probably also explains why not much has happened yet if we are in negotiations for these types of signings.

Your signings were **** so you don't get any money to replace them? That doesn't make sense. Just sack him then.

As I said it was just a thought.

I don't think they would turn round and say you were crap with signing so you're getting less money, maybe just make less money available, also it'll be expensive to sack him with 18 months left.

brog
16-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Far too sensible a post, it will never catch on. Incidentally can I like Haymaker's smiley?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 08:42 AM

Isn’t that what’s said in the middle of every **** window?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 08:42 AM

Got Collins to quit, perhaps they think the same with Lennon?

jacomo
16-01-2019, 08:43 AM

Lennon has said, repeatedly, that the Board have been great with him and backed him.

Leeann has confirmed this.

Let’s put this nonsense to bed.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 08:46 AM

That’s what was said when other clubs where building teams in the summer “aye but stop bed wetting better players become available at the end of the window, Rangers hearts and Aberdeen have bought *****”

How about being prepared from the word go for the window opening and get players scouted and sounded out weeks/months in advance instead of hoping someone becomes available only to be shat on at the last minute? No

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 08:47 AM
Got Collins to quit, perhaps they think the same with Lennon?

Collins wanted almost all the KT/SB money to spend straight away and, rightly so, that was never going to happen.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 08:49 AM
That’s what was said when other clubs where building teams in the summer “aye but stop bed wetting better players become available at the end of the window, Rangers hearts and Aberdeen have bought *****”

How about being prepared from the word go for the window opening and get players scouted and sounded out weeks/months in advance instead of hoping someone becomes available only to be shat on at the last minute? No

You don't think players are assessed and lists created long before the window?

To trade earlier in the window, at the right quality, costs money we don't have. There is better availability and value towards the end of the window.

Johnny_Leith
16-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Why is it, if everything isn't rosy, then people start to become mad conspiracy theorists regarding "behind the scenes" at hibs?

Lennon not trusted by the board
Club having no signing targets or plans
All the income this season has been stolen by Petrie
Club reluctant to release funds for the manager

These, amongst others like, are opinions I've read throughout January. Is it just a sign of someone who had absolutely no idea how football works?

Speedway
16-01-2019, 09:01 AM

What happens when we take our time and don’t bring in a higher quality?

Zazu62
16-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Yams have signed 2

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 09:05 AM

To trade earlier in the window, at the right quality, costs money we don't have. There is better availability and value towards the end of the window.

We hear the thing about the end of the window all the time but does it actually stand up to scrutiny? David Gray, Scott Allan (first time), SJM, Martin Boyle, Bogdan, Rocky (his work permit delayed his debut though), Barker, Kamberi this summer, Marvin Bartley.. none of them signed at the end of the window. There’ll be plenty examples at other teams aswell. There is good players within our budget available before the end of the windows, we needed to do a better job of identifying them and getting them in earlier this month due to the situation we find ourselves in.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 09:09 AM
We here the thing about the end of the window all the time but does it actually stand up to scrutiny? David Gray, Scott Allan (first time), SJM, Martin Boyle, Bogdan, Rocky (his work permit delayed his debut though), Barker, Kamberi this summer, Marvin Bartley.. none of them signed at the end of the window. There’ll be plenty examples at other teams aswell. There is good players within our budget available before the end of the windows, we need to do a better job of identifying them and getting them in earlier.

nobody said we can't sign players before the end of the window - we already have this time around - but it is recognised across the football industry for clubs with little to spend (like us) that a) players and clubs want to understand all options before they commit b) some other deals need done before players can become available and c) as a result often better quality and value is available later on..

Brightside
16-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Lennon wouldn't be here if he wasnt getting backed.

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 09:10 AM

Then the season's a write off and we'll get it right next window. Maybe.

SirDavidsNapper
16-01-2019, 09:12 AM
Lennon has said, repeatedly, that the Board have been great with him and backed him.

Leeann has confirmed this.

Let’s put this nonsense to bed.

:agree: There's absolutely no doubt the board are backing Lennon. In fact that's one criticism i have never been able to throw at the board, even before Dempster's time. We've always pushed the boat out to get players the manager wants. Apart from Collins throwing a hissy fit because he couldn't get 1 million for Naismith. The board can't help it if who the manager wants turns out to be rubbish.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 09:12 AM

Then we will have to do with what we have brought in...it can happen - football is a funny business in't it - you can think you have a deal secured only for a last minute hitch or change of mind...Clubs think more medium to long term than most fans do.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 09:13 AM
nobody said we can't sign players before the end of the window - we already have this time around - but it is recognised across the football industry for clubs with little to spend (like us) that a) players and clubs want to understand all options before they commit b) some other deals need done before players can become available and c) as a result often better quality and value is available later on..

I’m not debating that there will be an element of truth in it. I just think it’s overplayed when it comes to why we’re so slow to recruit at times.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 09:15 AM
I’m not debating that there will be an element of truth in it. I just think it’s overplayed when it comes to why we’re so slow to recruit at times.

I think the club don't see signings as urgent as most fans do - think it's more about the manager/club trying to secure the best available with our restricted budget

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Where's the examples of this better quality of player becoming available towards the end of the window? :confused:

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 09:29 AM
To be fair, the problem with having "ambitious" transfer targets like Allan, Cummings etc is we can have a bumper, highest-paid-player-ever super duper amazing contract lined up, the player just about to sign and a Championship (or upper League One) decides to take a punt on him as a reserve player, they can blow us out of the water even on the most meagre (for them) wages. The only instance I can think of this not happening is when Kamberi inexplicably decided he really wanted to be here more than getting high wages.

This is just going to get worse unless the English TV deal goes boom. In ten years' time League Two clubs fighting relegation are going to be able to offer comfortably more than us.

500miles
16-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Where's the examples of this better quality of player becoming available towards the end of the window? :confused:

In terms of primary targets, rather than debatable term "quality", Milligan and Horgan in summer, and Allan last season.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 09:30 AM
Lennon wouldn't be here if he wasnt getting backed.

The transfer window still has a couple of weeks to run 😉

I think what worries me is that Lennon has spoken publicly about wanting players in and he wanted a couple in before going to Dubai. He’s also mentioned that when he didn’t get backed at Celtic he left, why say that early on in the transfer window? He’s a clever guy and he’ll have been letting the board know he’s not going to hang about ifnhes not backed.

I’m not panicking yet as I’m sure we’ll get bodies in, I do however fear that we’re working our way down the list and are currently looking at plan C or D.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 09:35 AM

Yes...it's amazing that there is no last minute increase in deals at the end of the window...

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 09:35 AM
In terms of primary targets, rather than debatable term "quality", Milligan and Horgan in summer, and Allan last season.

Targets fair enough, Allan aside though there have been very little success stories of players signing for us really late in any transfer window. In fact it's usually the opposite. We were told to be patient all summer long, during the Europa league etc when it was clear as day we needed to strengthen the squad big time and that it was bed wetting and this better quality of player will be in towards the end of the window. Now it's the same here. We are more than halfway through the window which has seen us lose our best player and have brought one in. Some saying we don't even need to try and replace Ambrose??

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Yes...it's amazing that there is no last minute increase in deals at the end of the window...

Of course there is. Clubs want to release all their pap that won't get a game. I can't recall loads of success stories though.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 09:37 AM

Is there examples of better deals being available at the end of the window though?

That’s a genuine question by the way, off the top of my head I can think of Bamba, Riordan, Scott Allan and Matt Doherty being last day deals (Doherty was actually alright up until that game)

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Is there examples of better deals being available at the end of the window though?

That’s a genuine question by the way, off the top of my head I can think of Bamba, Riordan, Scott Allan and Matt Doherty being last day deals (Doherty was actually alright up until that game)

the volume of deals are representative of that though- some decent examples from you...the reason deals happen late, is because often preferred targets start to be come available later in the window...

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 09:42 AM
the volume of deals are representative of that though- some decent examples from you...the reason deals happen late, is because often preferred targets start to be come available later in the window...

That's 4 players in 10 years. We need about 5 players in at least to save our season!! The club will lose a lot more money from season ticket sales next summer than it will spending extra to get decent players in right now instead of the usual end of window see who we pick up gamble.

flash
16-01-2019, 09:53 AM
This thread is almost as pointless as Brexit. The same posters making the same points over and over again.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 09:54 AM
That's 4 players in 10 years. We need about 5 players in at least to save our season!! The club will lose a lot more money from season ticket sales next summer than it will spending extra to get decent players in right now instead of the usual end of window see who we pick up gamble.

Hibs have to trade in the real world of the football industry. They will be trying to get deals done almost every single day of this window. The reality is that players and clubs commonly stall to see and/or get the best deal..so it is often becomes easier to get hold of your targets later in the window - unless you have the cash to force a deal (which we often don't). There are lots of gambles in football - we are dealing with people who have options and can change they're mind, and players who sometimes don't perform to their level of ability - that is where it becomes and art not just a science to get the timing and signings right. Recruitment is often noted to be the most critical part of a managers job. I'm glad we are not just signing who is available...we have specific targets and long may that continue.

16-01-2019, 10:04 AM
To be fair, the problem with having "ambitious" transfer targets like Allan, Cummings etc is we can have a bumper, highest-paid-player-ever super duper amazing contract lined up, the player just about to sign and a Championship (or upper League One) decides to take a punt on him as a reserve player, they can blow us out of the water even on the most meagre (for them) wages. The only instance I can think of this not happening is when Kamberi inexplicably decided he really wanted to be here more than getting high wages.

This is just going to get worse unless the English TV deal goes boom. In ten years' time League Two clubs fighting relegation are going to be able to offer comfortably more than us.

What is his preferred position?

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2019, 10:08 AM
I cant see what the hold up is with all these new signings we need, can someone put me right?

Why dont we just go out and sign the likes of Allan and Bryson, and other players Lennon might like to bring in?

BlackSheep
16-01-2019, 10:08 AM

I think he loves to play in the hole........

flash
16-01-2019, 10:11 AM
I cant see what the hold up is with all these new signings we need, can someone put me right?

Why dont we just go out and sign the likes of Allan and Bryson, and other players Lennon might like to bring in?
Its almost as if they might have other options. Would be easier to just sign crap nobody else wants surely. Typical Hibs.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Its almost as if they might have other options. Would be easier to just sign crap nobody else wants surely. Typical Hibs.

Which is exactly what some posters (I’m not sure if you were one or not) told us Hearts were doing in the summer. They ended up in a cup semi final, they’re well ahead of us in the league and just beat us in our last game at Easter Road.

If you look at the success ratio teams have with players signed early/in the middle of the window compared to players at the end of the window I’d be very surprised if the end of the window ‘better players’ often turned out better.

Even our manager said he wanted players in early. But of course the posters on here that like to question whether folk know how football transfers work (as if they know themselves) know that this isn’t possible even though NL seemed to think it was.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Which is exactly what some posters (I’m not sure if you were one or not) told us Hearts were doing in the summer. They ended up in a cup semi final, they’re well ahead of us in the league and just beat us in our last game at Easter Road.

It's hard to compare Summer windows to January - they have different dynamics at play. Hearts took a big gamble in the last window, they've acknowledged it themselves, by signing so many new players. They needed to up their game and it has indeed worked for them. They have changed the level of performance from a poor baseline last season. Quite impressive tbh. They tried the same the season before and failed notably!

It has left them with a wage bill that must be somewhat eye watering for them. We were not in the same position. But we do need a good window this time , I agree with that. Or else we will be a bottom six team this year. It would be nice if we had a few in now, but I won't get worked up about it until I see where we are at the end of the window.

Diclonius
16-01-2019, 10:28 AM

If you look at the success ratio teams have with players signed in the middle of the window compared to players at the end of the window I’d be very surprised if the end of the window ‘better players’ often turned out better.

There's also the season after relegation where they made quality signings at the start of the window, had their transfer activity wrapped up early, and blitzed the league. This was post-administration as well so there's no "well they were spending money they don't have" excuse, either.

The "wait until the end of the window" argument only works if teams that do it most often than not perform better than teams that sign "dross" earlier in the window. They don't.

blackpoolhibs
16-01-2019, 10:29 AM

No, we should just sign those players Hearts want, i think thats how it works.

SirDavidsNapper
16-01-2019, 10:36 AM
It's hard to compare Summer windows to January - they have different dynamics at play. Hearts took a big gamble in the last window, they've acknowledged it themselves, by signing so many new players. They needed to up their game and it has indeed worked for them. They have changed the level of performance from a poor baseline last season. Quite impressive tbh. They tried the same the season before and failed notably!

It has left them with a wage bill that must be somewhat eye watering for them. We were not in the same position. But we do need a good window this time , I agree with that. Or else we will be a bottom six team this year. It would be nice if we had a few in now, but I won't get worked up about it until I see where we are at the end of the window.

Hearts plan was failing miserably up until Naismith coming back from injury. They hadn't scored in 5 or 6 games and hadn't won in 10 if i remember rightly before beating Hamilton and us

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 10:38 AM
Hearts plan was failing miserably up until Naismith coming back from injury. They hadn't scored in 5 or 6 games and hadn't won in 10 if i remember rightly before beating Hamilton and us

and yet were still around 6 points off the top?....of course injuries to big players impacts results, that's football - but if you are suggesting their transfer window wasn't a big positive for them then take off the green tinted specs..

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 10:41 AM

It wasn't failing miserably at all. They went top of the league for ages and then lost about 6 of their best players who all made an impact at the beginning of the season.

Heisenberg
16-01-2019, 10:44 AM
We were up as high as second in the table before injuries took over. Does that mean our summer window was successful?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 10:46 AM
We were up as high as second in the table before injuries took over. Does that mean our summer window was successful?

No, overall it was *****. That's why we find ourselves in the bottom six halfway through the season from almost second last season.

04Sauzee
16-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Any signings or rumours?

Heisenberg
16-01-2019, 10:50 AM
No, overall it was *****. That's why we find ourselves in the bottom six halfway through the season from almost second last season.

But I thought injuries were to blame for Hearts going on a poor run? Do the same rules not apply when it’s Hibs?

Brooster
16-01-2019, 10:51 AM
This thread is hardly worth reading now.

bigwheel
16-01-2019, 10:56 AM

that's not balanced though - we were sitting second and had just won 4-5 in a row. Then with a mixture of injuries and loss of form we plummeted. You can't separate the two. Some of these injuries are now going to last all season, and some players have not stepped up so we need fresh players - but it wasn't overall bad, until we had that losing run. Infact tbh, had we beat Hearts the tone around here, for many, would be markedly different.

SideBurns
16-01-2019, 10:57 AM
This thread is hardly worth reading now.

Oh, I don't know. If you enjoy a totally pointless argument that goes roond in circles, it's a smashin' read!

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 10:58 AM
But I thought injuries were to blame for Hearts going on a poor run? Do the same rules not apply when it’s Hibs?

It applies to both. They started the season better than us and we haven't caught up. They have went forward, us backwards. There can't be any denying their transfer window was successful while ours was dreadful. We need about half a team in January unlike the majority of clubs in the league.

H18S NX
16-01-2019, 11:03 AM
Although not totally panicking,i really did expect more signings by now,Lennon expected it and told us so,we need to be ready to kickstart the season after the window with players already bedded in to push for top six.

Robbo6-2
16-01-2019, 11:09 AM
This is murder

Sweet Left Peg
16-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Ooooooh, matron!

Zazu62
16-01-2019, 11:20 AM
This is murder

Not as bad as your username that’s a shocker

SirDavidsNapper
16-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Scott Robertson was a decent player 😉

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 11:27 AM

Indeed. Could have attempted to disguise it a wee bit.

Lago
16-01-2019, 11:27 AM

I really don't understand the Allan situation at all, the guy is available now to sign a pre contract at the very least, the fact nothing has happened leads me to think the following
1) we've tried but failed because we can't afford him
2) we don't want him but are a bit reluctant to let the fans know that.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 11:28 AM
I really don't understand the Allan situation at all, the guy is available now to sign a pre contract at the very least, the fact nothing has happened leads me to think the following

The fact we apparently haven’t even made an approach seems incredible.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Apparently? So you don't actually know?

Kato
16-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Why is it, if everything isn't rosy, then people start to become mad conspiracy theorists regarding "behind the scenes" at hibs?

Lennon not trusted by the board
Club having no signing targets or plans
All the income this season has been stolen by Petrie
Club reluctant to release funds for the manager

These, amongst others like, are opinions I've read throughout January. Is it just a sign of someone who had absolutely no idea how football works?

Yes.

Keyser Sauzee
16-01-2019, 11:37 AM

Could there be a 3rd option, this might sound crazy but just go with me here, we have offered him a deal on a pre contract and his agent has said “let us get back to u” in the hope that there may be better offers coming soon. Once no offers come closer to the end of the window he says “ok, we’ll sign now”. Does that sound like it could be within the realms of possibility?? However much of an inconvenience it is to us, it’s pretty common and not a lot Hibs can do other than wait it out or drop the offer.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Could there be a 3rd option, this might sound crazy but just go with me here, we have offered him a deal on a pre contract and his agent has said “let us get back to u” in the hope that there may be better offers coming soon. Once no offers come closer to the end of the window he says “ok, we’ll sign now”. Does that sound like it could be within the realms of possibility?? However much of an inconvenience it is to us, it’s pretty common and not a lot Hibs can do other than wait it out or drop the offer.

Wooaahh there matey! That's so far fetched it couldn't possibly be a legitimate explanation....

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 11:40 AM

Of course, but it's still Petrie's fault (surely?).

Bostonhibby
16-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Could there be a 3rd option, this might sound crazy but just go with me here, we have offered him a deal on a pre contract and his agent has said “let us get back to u” in the hope that there may be better offers coming soon. Once no offers come closer to the end of the window he says “ok, we’ll sign now”. Does that sound like it could be within the realms of possibility?? However much of an inconvenience it is to us, it’s pretty common and not a lot Hibs can do other than wait it out or drop the offer.This is likely, and it could be the case with any of our better quality targets. Supply and demand, the better players will have or expect options.

The alternative might be a van load of no option rejects like father dougal got from doctor football.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Apparently? So you don't actually know?

Lennon said as much the other day. So ok, I take out the word apparently from my previous post and can say it with a degree of certainty that we haven’t. Better?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/scott-allan-hibs-not-formality-13848614

“Those avenues haven’t really been pursued yet.”

Beefster
16-01-2019, 11:45 AM
This thread is almost as pointless as Brexit. The same posters making the same points over and over again.

I dunno tbh. I like the daily updates on how many days remain until the January transfer window 'slams shut'.

neil7908
16-01-2019, 11:51 AM
I think we'll easily get past Elgin but I would be a bit worried if we don't have anyone else in before Motherwell (which is only a week away).

The managed has said very publicly we need reinforcements and talked about getting players in for Dubai. It's then not unreasonable for fans to start asking questions.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Lennon said as much the other day. So ok, I take out the word apparently from my previous post and can say it with a degree of certainty that we haven’t. Better?

Did Lennon say no offer has been made? Genuine question. I haven't seen a quote confirming this fact.

I'm sure you'll excuse my initial query - There seems to be a lot of made up speculation on here about things no one actually knows for certain.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 11:52 AM
I think we'll easily get past Elgin but I would be a bit worried if we don't have anyone else in before Motherwell (which is only a week away).

The managed has said very publicly we need reinforcements and talked about getting players in for Dubai. It's then not unreasonable for fans to start asking questions.

The biggest thing for me is like you said, our manager wanted 2 or 3 in by a week and a half ago. We got one in 5 days ago and no more.

If our manager wants them by that point then like you said, it’s not unreasonable for fans to start questioning what’s going on.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 11:53 AM

If that was the case then I hope there would be some kind of deadline in the next week allowing us to focus on players that will actually help us this season and not wait until the last day of the window and get someone on loan like Hyndman just for the sake of it.

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Did Lennon say no offer has been made? Genuine question. I haven't seen a quote confirming this fact.

I'm sure you'll excuse my initial query - There seems to be a lot of made up speculation on here about things no one actually knows for certain.

I’ve added the link to my previous post :aok:

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 11:54 AM
If that was the case then I hope there would be some kind of deadline in the next week allowing us to focus on players that will actually help us this season and not wait until the last day of the window and get someone on loan like Hyndman just for the sake of it.

What happens if Scott Allan (for example) responds after our deadline? We tell him he's too late?

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Lennon (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/neil-lennon) said: “There’s no inevitability about us signing Scott at all.
“There is a lot of talk about it and he’s a player we all admire here but it’s about availability, cost and whether he wants to come"

“Those avenues haven’t really been pursued yet.

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 11:58 AM
What happens if Scott Allan (for example) responds after our deadline? We tell him he's too late?

Then it will end of the way of Fraser Fyvie if we have brought in an adequate replacement for a player who took too long deciding if he wants to come to us again.

Speedway
16-01-2019, 11:59 AM

What if the player only wants to talk to us as an absolute last resort?

brog
16-01-2019, 12:06 PM

Even more incredible is the fact that you believe we've had no contact with SA. You need to read NL's carefully worded statement again

Peevemor
16-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Then it will end of the way of Fraser Fyvie if we have brought in an adequate replacement for a player who took too long deciding if he wants to come to us again.

Aye, that would go down a treat with the fans if it got out.

It amazes me that some on here think they know more about how to do these things than Lennon/Craig/Dempster/Petrie etc. who have a huge amount of experience between them (as well as first hand information).

matty_f
16-01-2019, 12:07 PM

I think it's more likely that Hibs have agreed with Allan but there's quite a bit of sorting out to do with Celtic.

They could release Allan if he's willing to take a hit on his wages, we could buy Allan but are maybe waiting to see if Celtic will release him as has been reported, and Allan is maybe holding out for all the money that he's due from Celtic.

16-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Scott Robertson was a decent player 😉

Did he score 27 goals against Hibs too?

J-C
16-01-2019, 12:08 PM
What if the player only wants to talk to us as an absolute last resort?

I find the Scott Allan situation rather bizarre, he post pics of himself in Hibs training gear, attends one of our home matches even though he has no connection as a fan only as a player and follows Ryan Gauld on Instagram. Does he enjoy teasing the Hibs fans like this because he has a nasty sense of humour, or is he hinting at what may actually happen?

16-01-2019, 12:09 PM
Indeed. Could have attempted to disguise it a wee bit.

Hiding in plain sight.

Hibernian32
16-01-2019, 12:16 PM
We have had months to prepare for this window, I feel we got Gauld and all our other targets are elsewhere or have no interest, anything now is going to be a panic signing, Neil has had targets and he's not got them, i feel we are now looking down the list, and if Allan is waiting for other offers or his agent is holding out, if they comeback at the end of the window saying yes we will sign I would shut the door on the faces you want this club you join this club, don't whore yourself around first, I don't want any player pulling on that jersey feeling they had to settle with us because no one else took them. Seriously frustrating atm

stantonsboots
16-01-2019, 12:21 PM
We were up as high as second in the table before injuries took over. Does that mean our summer window was successful?Exactly until we can play our strongest team(or at least 9or 10)how can we say it was or wasn't successful? in my my opinion injury has blighted our season far more than a bad transfer window!

stantonsboots
16-01-2019, 12:23 PM
But I thought injuries were to blame for Hearts going on a poor run? Do the same rules not apply when it’s Hibs?well said :thumbsup:

Hibernian32
16-01-2019, 12:24 PM
Exactly until we can play our strongest team(or at least 9or 10)how can we say it was or wasn't successful? in my my opinion injury has blighted our season far more than a bad transfer window!
But if he had reinforced correctly in the summer might have had adequate cover for the injurys, like the extra striker we needed and the RB cover and I mean real cover not 6 month deals

Mango Man
16-01-2019, 12:28 PM
I find the Scott Allan situation rather bizarre, he post pics of himself in Hibs training gear, attends one of our home matches even though he has no connection as a fan only as a player and follows Ryan Gauld on Instagram. Does he enjoy teasing the Hibs fans like this because he has a nasty sense of humour, or is he hinting at what may actually happen?

And the post he put up saying something along the lines of being patient, maybe he knows himself it will go right to the end of the window, just hope another team doesn't sneak in there with a more tempting offer.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Lennon (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/neil-lennon) said: “There’s no inevitability about us signing Scott at all.
“There is a lot of talk about it and he’s a player we all admire here but it’s about availability, cost and whether he wants to come"

Thanks for that. So he hasn't said no offer has been made.

That's what I thought.

stantonsboots
16-01-2019, 12:34 PM
I think it's more likely that Hibs have agreed with Allan but there's quite a bit of sorting out to do with Celtic.

They could release Allan if he's willing to take a hit on his wages, we could buy Allan but are maybe waiting to see if Celtic will release him as has been reported, and Allan is maybe holding out for all the money that he's due from Celtic.I think this is probably nearer the mark.

Spudster
16-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Is it not quite obvious what's happening with Allan? We are holding off in the hope he is released, Celtic are holding off releasing him in the hope an offer comes in. Lennon will keep quiet on it until he is released (or it becomes clear he isn't being released).
edit - didnt see matty_f post saying pretty much the same thing

bingo70
16-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Thanks for that. So he hasn't said no offer has been made.

That's what I thought.

Is that not what he says when he mentions "Those avenues haven't been pursued yet?"

To me that says no offer has been made, not really sure how it could be any clearer?

Shrekko
16-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Is it not quite obvious what's happening with Allan? We are holding off in the hope he is released, Celtic are holding off releasing him in the hope an offer comes in. Lennon will keep quiet on it until he is released (or it becomes clear he isn't being released).

I think you're right- this is definitely what's happening.

If NL states we're pursuing him it strengthens Celtic position. We could be talking about hundreds of thousands of pounds of a difference on the overall cost of the deal.

Hibs90
16-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Hibs have made no offers to Scott Allan or Celtic.

stantonsboots
16-01-2019, 12:43 PM
But if he had reinforced correctly in the summer might have had adequate cover for the injurys, like the extra striker we needed and the RB cover and I mean real cover not 6 month dealsI think when we played our last game we had 11 players missing due to injury and international duty. That in my opinion is unusually bad luck? but you do have point a couple more in the summer would have been good, but no one could have imagined how bad our injury luck was going to be?

SouthMoroccoStu
16-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Yet..... :wink::greengrin

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 12:46 PM
Is that not what he says when he mentions "Those avenues haven't been pursued yet?"

To me that says no offer has been made, not really sure how it could be any clearer?

Availability, cost and whether he wants to come haven’t been pursued yet. I think it’s safe to say no offer will have been made if none of them had been pursued.

BlackSheep
16-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Availability, cost and whether he wants to come haven’t been pursued yet. I think it’s safe to say no offer will have been made if none of them had been pursued.

Or there has been communication from Allan's camp that has given indication as to the scenarios involved with the transfer and Hibs are mulling over which avenue to go down.

That still qualifies as 'no' pursuit.... we would have make an offer or ask the questions to be seen as the pursuers.

Hibs90
16-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Yet..... :wink::greengrin

Hopefully :greengrin

bingo70
16-01-2019, 12:53 PM

I'm not entirely sure what the poster who disputes this is looking for in terms of evidence?

I appreciate there will be times when Lennon has to tell us wee white lies and that's absolutely fine however taking him at face value i couldn't take that article any other way than it's him saying we've not made an offer to Scott Allan yet.

matty_f
16-01-2019, 12:57 PM
I'm not entirely sure what the poster who disputes this is looking for in terms of evidence?

I appreciate there will be times when Lennon has to tell us wee white lies and that's absolutely fine however taking him at face value i couldn't take that article any other way than it's him saying we've not made an offer to Scott Allan yet.

What were Lennon's comments about Maclaren just before we signed him? I think it was that signing that wasn't being considered right until we announced it.

Could be wrong, but that rings a bell with me.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Or there has been communication from Allan's camp that has given indication as to the scenarios involved with the transfer and Hibs are mulling over which avenue to go down.

That still qualifies as 'no' pursuit.... we would have make an offer or ask the questions to be seen as the pursuers.

No offence but to me that seems very much like straw clutching.

Lennon is saying no offer has been made yet and i believe him, he mentioned as well that Allan and Gauld are the same type of player however he wouldn't mind having both of them.

I personally think he chose to go for Gauld instead of Allan for now, if there is budget left at the end of the window he will see if Allan is a possibility but for now he will try to get other areas of the team sorted first.

Last Minute
16-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Yes they have :wink:

BlackSheep
16-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Lennon is saying no offer has been made yet and i believe him, he mentioned as well that Allan and Gauld are the same type of player however he wouldn't mind having both of them.

I personally think he chose to go for Gauld instead of Allan for now, if there is budget left at the end of the window he will see if Allan is a possibility but for now he will try to get other areas of the team sorted first.

Thats exactly what it is lol

I guess if Gauld performs like Allan did last year then we have nothing to worry about... apart from having less chance of signing Gauld permanently than we do/did of signing Allan permanently.

SquashedFrogg
16-01-2019, 01:07 PM

The quote I was given said "haven't 'really' been pursued." You seem to have accidently missed out a word.

Centre Hawf

Agree with this, if we do see Allan in this window it won't be till the very last minute. Maybe even after it's closed depending on his release. Huge IF though.

To be honest as much as I love Allan and wanted him back this window, with Gauld signing I would turn to other targets if we only have a limited budget (not meaning to start a budget debate here) as we really don't need Allan, Gauld, Mallan, and Slivka who everyone will, if not already, say that their best position is 10/in behind the strikers. We really need to be looking at other types of players.

calumhibee1
What were Lennon's comments about Maclaren just before we signed him? I think it was that signing that wasn't being considered right until we announced it.

Could be wrong, but that rings a bell with me.

He did say something along those lines I’m sure. Although like yourself it’s only ringing a bell with me, I can’t remember exactly what was said.

He may well be telling a wee white lie in that article as to whether we’ve had contact or not. But if we’re taking him on face value then his comments would suggest we’ve not made any move for Allan.

Sioux
16-01-2019, 01:09 PM

No offence but to me that is pure guesswork. You don't know.

bingo70
16-01-2019, 01:11 PM
[/B]

“I personally think”

It’s absolutely guess work, apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Centre Hawf
16-01-2019, 01:11 PM
[/B]

That's why he said he thinks.

brog
16-01-2019, 01:19 PM
In the JC era I sat with 2 Crystal P players in my cuz's front room 'exploring options' for 1 or both to join us. Neither happened but neither IIRC even made it into the media. Posters who don't think informal contact goes on all the time are living in a dream world.

bigswissstriker
16-01-2019, 01:21 PM
In the JC era I sat with 2 Crystal P players in my cuz's front room 'exploring options' for 1 or both to join us. Neither happened but neither IIRC even made it into the media. Posters who don't think informal contact goes on all the time are living in a dream world.

Who were the players?

calumhibee1
16-01-2019, 01:22 PM
“I personally think”

It’s absolutely guess work, apologies if that wasn’t clear.

It’s amazing how hard folk are trying to discredit people’s opinions.

matty_f
16-01-2019, 01:23 PM
It’s amazing how hard folk are trying to discredit people’s opinions.

No it's not. :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
16-01-2019, 01:29 PM
I think when we played our last game we had 11 players missing due to injury and international duty. That in my opinion is unusually bad luck? but you do have point a couple more in the summer would have been good, but no one could have imagined how bad our injury luck was going to be?Agreed we've been dreadfully unlucky with injuries and international call ups not to mention work permit issues. However Summer recruitment was slow and poor and so far this window seems to be the same...I really thought we'd have recruited more than a 6 month loan deal during the 3 week winter break. Looks like it's gonna be more last minute shopping towards the end of Jan. Let's hope it's quality and not just what s left

flash
16-01-2019, 01:35 PM
This place will go into meltdown if we make a few decent signings this window.

Mainstandman
16-01-2019, 01:39 PM

3) (whisper) he doesn't actually want to join Hibs

Dublin07
16-01-2019, 01:44 PM
3) (whisper) he doesn't actually want to join Hibs

Who cares if Allan or anyone else I signing - there are still tickets left for the 80's night.

SirDavidsNapper
16-01-2019, 01:45 PM
There will be a lot of hard work going on at Hibs right now regarding transfers. Just need to have faith and let it play out. No point getting frustrated at something we can't influence.

stantonsboots
16-01-2019, 01:53 PM
There will be a lot of hard work going on at Hibs right now regarding transfers. Just need to have faith and let it play out. No point getting frustrated at something we can't influence.very true!!!

The 90+2
16-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Who cares if Allan or anyone else I signing - there are still tickets left for the 80's night.

👍😂😂