PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Winter transfer thread - repetitive discussion only (hardly any transfer news)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 02:22 PM
We have a lot of injured players in the treatment room, yes. But not a lot of quality players.

Of all those who have been out for an extended period of time how many are real first picks?

David Gray and Hanlon maybe?

Even if it was just those 2 players, it would still have had a significant effect, (e.g. Hibs would probably have won the league in 1973, but suffered when John Brownie broke his leg) but almost the entire squad has been out through injury this season.

It doesn't have to be an extended period for an injury to affect the balance of the team and the weekly performances.

Porteous, Boyle, Horgan, Milligan, Agyepong and Bartley are all quality players, but we've not been able to field the same team 2 weeks running.

McD
06-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Pish argument. He doesn’t get paid thousands a year to deal with hibs’ recruitment

Does he get paid to critique the performance of the Hibs recruitment team?

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Pish argument. He doesn’t get paid thousands a year to deal with hibs’ recruitment

It didn't read like an argument to me.

More like a question.

DarlingtonHibee
06-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Know its not. About twenty people posting on this thread saying everything is crap. Nobody has an alternative solution, it's like a five years old playground on here with some of the posts

McD
06-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Know its not. About twenty people posting on this thread saying everything is crap. Nobody has an alternative solution, it's like a five years old playground on here with some of the posts

:top marks

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 02:28 PM

:agree: How do these people cope when faced with a real crisis?

calumhibee1
06-01-2019, 02:30 PM

We’ve all watched sub standard players for over half a season lead us to 8th place. People have seen enough to form an opinion on them. It’s hardly realistic to expect Hibs fans to have an extensive knowledge of the market Hibs operate in (lower leagues in England, Scotland, English youth teams etc) to tell you who we should have got in that would have been better though is it? It is however reasonable to expect that of Lennon and the recruitment team.

bingo70
06-01-2019, 02:30 PM
What about sharing your plan to make recruitment better?

FWIW I think what you’ve asked is more or less an impossible question for him to answer as he doesn’t have the resources or scouting network hibs have.

To try and answer your question generally though I think we would do well to look at young up and coming players from smaller clubs within Scotland. The likes of Stevie Pittman at Livi has been excellent whenever I’ve seen him then there’s the likes of Lawrence Shankland who is obviously pretty high profile now, imo we should be finding these guys that have careers on the way up and are hungry to succeed.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 02:31 PM

I've not read that, I've read posts saying the recruitment in the summer was poor, even NL has to a point acknowledged that. Do you think the summer recruitment was a success ?

J-C
06-01-2019, 02:32 PM
I think recruitment failed in the summer, its obvious now while sitting in the bottom 6 that those we brought in have not been good enough to continue the good work we had seen up to last summer.

All the budget has not been spent, and we've just had a kick in the baws with Efe leaving too.

I personally did not think we would match last seasons 4th place, maybe an outside chance, and early doors we showed good promise.

This seasons injury list is bigger than i can ever remember, and resources have been stretched to the limit.

We still have some money left over from this biggest budget ever, and clearly we need to spend it a bit wiser than we did in the summer.

I agree re the injuries but they have just shown the squad up to be thin on depth and quality and we're relying on untested youngsters to make up the numbers, thankfully Porteous and Mackie are looking like they can step up. I expected Efe to go but not until the summer but players like Hyndman, MacLaren and latterly Milligan have been a big disappointment, as to have been the invisible Agyepong and Nelom and I'm yet to understand why Mavrias was even at the club except to get him fit for someone else. We needed quality in the summer and on paper these players looked fairly decent but every single one of them was hampered by injuries, something Lennon has touched on recently, maybe time to get players who want to run through brick walls for the club, like McGinn used to do.

Ronniekirk
06-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Lennon has already publicly acknowledged he needs to take his share of the blame regarding the last Windows recruitment and gone on record as saying we need a major overhaul and more Ribust players who aren't on the treatment table a lot of the time
So I assume he and his backroom team have a plan in place to address this Weneed to give them this window to see how that pans out

Stuart93
06-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Does he get paid to critique the performance of the Hibs recruitment team?

He can do it for free that’s the joys of a fans forum. Think people are right to be critical of recruitment team recently because the summer was a failure. Our league position is evidence of that

But yourself and a few other posters can bury your heads in the sand and pretend recruitments been dandy whilst asking your run of the mill supporter on how they’d improve it.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 02:39 PM
He can do it for free that’s the joys of a fans forum. Think people are right to be critical of recruitment team recently because the summer was a failure. Our league position is evidence of that

Christ almighty. What ***** this has become.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Even if it was just those 2 players, it would still have had a significant effect, (e.g. Hibs would probably have won the league in 1973, but suffered when John Brownie broke his leg) but almost the entire squad has been out through injury this season.

It doesn't have to be an extended period for an injury to affect the balance of the team and the weekly performances.

Porteous, Boyle, Horgan, Milligan, Agyepong and Bartley are all quality players, but we've not been able to field the same team 2 weeks running.

If we’re looking at some of those you list as being quality, then it comes back to that thing about us having signed a lack of quality IMO. Particularly the final three you’ve listed.

Injuries may have hurt us. But it shouldn’t have been to the extent of winning two out of twelve. We managed to cope well enough without the likes of Gray for most of last year.

J-C
Lennon has already publicly acknowledged he needs to take his share of the blame regarding the last Windows recruitment and gone on record as saying we need a major overhaul and more Ribust players who aren't on the treatment table a lot of the time
So I assume he and his backroom team have a plan in place to address this Weneed to give them this window to see how that pans out

I think he had this vision of us playing lovely 1-2 football like Man City etc forgetting that we play in Scotland and unless we have a bit of physicality in our team that will never happen, he went for lightweight skilful players who can't cope with the stronger nature of the game, hence we're lightweight in the middle.

Stuart93
Christ almighty. What ***** this has become.

Have I said something wrong in the part you’ve quoted? People are entitled to an opinion on a fans forum no?

MWHIBBIES
06-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Motherwell "not far behind us" (8 points behind)
Hearts "a distance away" (7 points ahead)
:faf:

That is typical .net hysterics.

we are hibs
06-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Goalie on trial from spurs. 21 year old. Tom Glover

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 02:46 PM
I've not read that, I've read posts saying the recruitment in the summer was poor, even NL has to a point acknowledged that. Do you think the summer recruitment was a success ?

Hindsight is a great thing! I can't recall too many complaining with recruitment in the summer.

Almost everybody was shouting for the Kamberi/McLaren partnership.

I can't recall too many complaints about Mallan or Horgan?

Emerson Hyndman on a 6 month loan deal was met with some scepticism.

Apenyong looked decent but sadly got injured.

Milligan for me is good and will get better but I appreciate he is not everybody's cup of tea.

I understand that things haven't worked out as well as we all would have hoped but to start whinging now is just churlish.

To those complaining, tell us (realistically) who should have been brought in during the summer that wasn't?

Keyser Sauzee
06-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Goalie on trial from spurs. 21 year old. Tom Glover

Goalie?? Surely we have enough of them?

we are hibs
06-01-2019, 02:53 PM

Preparing for bogdan or/and Laidlaw moving on come the summer I would think

jeffers
06-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Hindsight is a great thing! I can't recall too many complaining with recruitment in the summer.

Almost everybody was shouting for the Kamberi/McLaren partnership.

I can't recall too many complaints about Mallan or Horgan?

Emerson Hyndman on a 6 month loan deal was met with some scepticism.

Apenyong looked decent but sadly got injured.

Milligan for me is good and will get better but I appreciate he is not everybody's cup of tea.

I understand that things haven't worked out as well as we all would have hoped but to start whinging now is just churlish.

To those complaining, tell us (realistically) who should have been brought in during the summer that wasn't?

To an extent that's a bit like saying we shouldn't complain that Butcher was pish because a lot of fans wanted us to appoint him. It's not the fans job to sign players, it's the recruitment team and manager's role to do so.

Kamberi and McLaren could have come good with decent service.

Personally I'd seen very little of Mallan and nothing of Horgan, Agyepong or Milligan. For example I'd have hoped that the recruitment team had factored in Agyepong's injury record or Stevie Mallan's lack of workrate off the ball and inability to track runners.

Why did we sign Nelom when we already had Stevenson and Mackie to cover that position ?

Again not our role to say who we should have brought in, but a bigger effort should have been made to sign Scott Allan.

McD
06-01-2019, 02:58 PM

But yourself and a few other posters can bury your heads in the sand and pretend recruitments been dandy whilst asking your run of the mill supporter on how they’d improve it.

Can you show me where I’ve said the recruitment was dandy? Or where I asked any supporter (not just a run of the mill kind) how they’d improve it? Go on, I’ll wait.

Are supporters not allowed to critique comments other supporters have made? They can do that for free too, it’s also a joy of the forum.

And you are right, it’s a fans forum, fans being a plural word - that means more than your opinion is allowed :wink:

St Pauli Hibee
06-01-2019, 02:58 PM
Sorry if posted anyone heard of a Hungarian striker being linked to us Márkó Futács

Yes, he was last at Hajduk Split scoring 20 goals in 37 appearances. Also previously played for Leicester, Blackpool, Werder Bremen & Portsmouth. Big 6ft 5" striker

matty_f
06-01-2019, 03:01 PM
To an extent that's a bit like saying we shouldn't complain that Butcher was pish because a lot of fans wanted us to appoint him. It's not the fans job to sign players, it's the recruitment team and manager's role to do so.

Kamberi and McLaren could hasve come good with decent service.

Personally I'd seen very little of Mallan and nothing of Horgan, Agyepong or Milligan. For example I'd have hoped that the recruitment team had factored in Agyepong's injury record or Stevie Mallan's lack of workrate off the ball and inability to track runners.

Why did we sign Nelom when we already had Stevenson and Mackie to cover that position ?

Again not our role to say who we should have brought in, but a bigger effort should have been made to sign Scott Allan.

I genuinely think that had we had better luck with injuries were all be looking back on the transfer window much kinder than we are now.

It's not even that the new signings have been injured, but key players in the team have missed large chunks of the season.

Hearts, when they lost Naismith, Berra, and Souttar collapsed and went on a run worse than ours iirc, yet I think they were generally happy with their recruitment because when those three were fit they had a great run.

I think some signings weren't as good as we expected them to be, and others have suffered from us not being able to get any consistency in the team selection at all this season.

We clearly spent money on the summer, and my take on it is that we didn't a lot of money, but for a number of reasons we've not had the return on that spend that we should have done.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:02 PM
I think he had this vision of us playing lovely 1-2 football like Man City etc forgetting that we play in Scotland and unless we have a bit of physicality in our team that will never happen, he went for lightweight skilful players who can't cope with the stronger nature of the game, hence we're lightweight in the middle.

How can he forget we play in Scotland and what Scottish football is like considering he played the majority of his career here as a player to stop players playing football?

I don’t buy this shortlist pap either.

matty_f
06-01-2019, 03:03 PM

I don't think so, he brought in Milligan and already had Bartley. Again injuries have meant that those 'tougher' players haven't been available as much as we needed.

Lago
06-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Your asking too many intelligent questions :agree:

Wilson
06-01-2019, 03:05 PM

That is typical .net hysterics.

For all folks laughing it might be interesting to see which gap closes up first.

On current form we are more capable of losing our 8 point advantage than we are of gaining 7 points on Hearts. This could be underlined in the next round of fixtures - we're away to Motherwell while Hearts are at home to Dundee!

I'm hoping for a good transfer window...

Diclonius
Sorry if posted anyone heard of a Hungarian striker being linked to us Márkó Futács

Sure this has come up recently.

The Green Goblin

If I go into Greggs and their pies are Tom Kite, it’s not on me to come up with a better recipe.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:06 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-hand-trial-to-tottenham-goalkeeper-tom-glover-1-4852417

Return of the goalie school or could mean Marciano is off?

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 03:06 PM

Butcher and Neil Lennon are not at all comparable. Butcher simply could not handle a club as big as Hibs. A good fit for Inverness but shown up badly for what he was at Hibs.

Give me some names who would have improved on the players that were brought in? How much, again realistically, do you think a club like ours should have spent trying to acquire the services of Scott Allan?

It's easy to whinge and moan but appears to me that many on these boards are happy to complain but not so keen to come up with alternatives or put any meat on the bones of the argument that recruitment in summer was poor.

SaulGoodman
06-01-2019, 03:08 PM
For all folks laughing it might be interesting to see which gap closes up first.

On current form we are more capable of losing our 8 point advantage than we are of gaining 7 points on Hearts. This could be underlined in the next round of fixtures - we're away to Motherwell while Hearts are at home to Dundee!

I'm hoping for a good transfer window...

Before Celtic game -We’re ****
After Celtic game - We’re amazing
After Rangers game - we’re still good
After Livi game - We’re ****
After Rangers game -we’re amazing
After Hearts game - We’re **** again

Barney McGrew
06-01-2019, 03:09 PM
Return of the goalie school or could mean Marciano is off?

Laidlaw will be away this window

SquashedFrogg
06-01-2019, 03:10 PM

And people have the right to disagree with your opinion. You need to learn that mt friend.

Souter96Mac
06-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Great name for a goalie.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 03:13 PM
I genuinely think that had we had better luck with injuries were all be looking back on the transfer window much kinder than we are now.

It's not even that the new signings have been injured, but key players in the team have missed large chunks of the season.

Hearts, when they lost Naismith, Berra, and Souttar collapsed and went on a run worse than ours iirc, yet I think they were generally happy with their recruitment because when those three were fit they had a great run.

I think some signings weren't as good as we expected them to be, and others have suffered from us not being able to get any consistency in the team selection at all this season.

We clearly spent money on the summer, and my take on it is that we didn't a lot of money, but for a number of reasons we've not had the return on that spend that we should have done.

I think with fewer injuries we may have picked up some more points, but not many.

Using Hearts as an example, they lost arguably their best players for an extended period of time (plus Ikpeazu) I'm not sure the same can be said of our injured players.

Even without our injuries the players other than Bogdan haven't performed consistently. Would having these players back mean Mallan would track runners, Horgan would make better decisions and wouldn't be blowing out his arse after 60 minutes ? Would Milligan be any faster ?

I also think the lack of consistency in team selection is due in part to players simply not perfoming and meriting regular selection. I also still maintain that we seem to have signed players without knowing how they were going to all fit together in a working formation.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-01-2019, 03:14 PM

It's amazing how many folk make comments like the one you quoted on fans websites.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:17 PM
It's amazing how many folk make comments like the one you quoted on fans websites.

Likewise, it’s amazing how people use the defence mechanism of “what would you different blah blah”.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Laidlaw will be away this window

Any idea where to? He done us a turn and wish him all the best.

HUTCHYHIBBY
Likewise, it’s amazing how people use the defence mechanism of “what would you different blah blah”.

Aye, that's what I said.

matty_f
I think with fewer injuries we may have picked up some more points, but not many.

Using Hearts as an example, they lost arguably their best players for an extended period of time (plus Ikpeazu) I'm not sure the same can be said of our injured players.

Even without our injuries the players other than Bogdan haven't performed consistently. Would having these players back mean Mallan would track runners, Horgan would make better decisions and wouldn't be blowing out his arse after 60 minutes ? Would Milligan be any faster ?

I also think the lack of consistency in team selection is due in part to players simply not perfoming and meriting regular selection. I also still maintain that we seem to have signed players without knowing how they were going to all fit together in a working formation.

Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Bartley, Porteous, Marciano, Stevenson, Milligan, Hyndman, Kamberi, Agyepong, Maclaren have all missed games with injury and that's just off the top of my head.

That's without considering that the cover we brought in like Mavrias and Nelom have also been unavailable through injury.

I can't believe that hasn't had an impact on our season, yet Hearts' injuries have impacted their season.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Bartley, Porteous, Marciano, Stevenson, Milligan, Hyndman, Kamberi, Agyepong, Maclaren have all missed games with injury and that's just off the top of my head.

That's without considering that the cover we brought in like Mavrias and Nelom have also been unavailable through injury.

I can't believe that hasn't had an impact on our season, yet Hearts' injuries have impacted their season.

You can add Boyle, Horgan and Bogdan to that list.

Has Shaw been injury free?

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 03:21 PM

You're just avoiding the argument 90+2. You're a football fan. Give us some names, available in the summer, who would have been an improvement on those brought by the recruitment team.

matty_f
06-01-2019, 03:21 PM
You can add Boyle, Horgan and Bogdan to the list.

Thanks, was just about to edit my post to add Boyle but I'd forgotten Bogdan and Horgan has also missed games through injury.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Butcher and Neil Lennon are not at all comparable. Butcher simply could not handle a club as big as Hibs. A good fit for Inverness but shown up badly for what he was at Hibs.

Give me some names who would have improved on the players that were brought in? How much, again realistically, do you think a club like ours should have spent trying to acquire the services of Scott Allan?

It's easy to whinge and moan but appears to me that many on these boards are happy to complain but not so keen to come up with alternatives or put any meat on the bones of the argument that recruitment in summer was poor.

I wasn't comparing NL and Butcher, not sure how you even came to that conclusion.

I really don't get the logic that we (or me) as fans are expected to come up with names. I go to watch Hibs and see the odd game on tv. I don't watch lower league games or get sent videos of players from scouts or agents. Regarding Scott Allan I'd have offered Celtic the money we got for Murray and used to sign Horgan and Mallan, maybe £250,000.

Again it's not our role to come up with alternatives. The meat on the bones regarding our recruitment being poor is the performance of these players and our league position.

Fergos
06-01-2019, 03:27 PM
We’ve done this to death at the games mate (i sit next to Jeff) but the one factor I think that Hibs didn’t account for when they signed these international players was some not giving 100%. Experienced players not tracking runners etc. If this makes the summer window a bad one then so be it but I think this has taken management by surprise

Agreed bud. When you look at our signings on paper few would have argued as they all came with decent pedigrees / from good clubs. In relation to the midfield l think NL has been let down by Milligan, Mallan and Hyndeman however the lack of strikers is down to NL, we looked short in that department at the start of the season and we look short up front now.

GGTTH

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Greg Stewart, Peter Haring, Lewis Ferguson, Kenny Miller, Steven Naismith, Ryan Hardie, Dolly Menga, Tony Watt, Paul McGinn.

There’s a few suggestions and that’s only players recruited by other team about it below our level.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:29 PM
You're just avoiding the argument 90+2. You're a football fan. Give us some names, available in the summer, who would have been an improvement on those brought by the recruitment team.

Just did, see above. Haring and Ferguson the obvious standouts.

matty_f
I wasn't comparing NL and Butcher, not sure how you even came to that conclusion.

I really don't get the logic that we (or me) as fans are expected to come up with names. I go to watch Hibs and see the odd game on tv. I don't watch lower league games or get sent videos of players from scouts or agents. Regarding Scott Allan I'd have offered Celtic the money we got for Murray and used to sign Horgan and Mallan, maybe £250,000.

Again it's not our role to come up with alternatives. The meat on the bones regarding our recruitment being poor is the performance of these players and our league position.
I don't think they're expecting you to give a list of names to the club, I think the suggestion is that folk saying things are rubbish might have a suggestion on how it could be better (otherwise the criticism is without context).

Like me saying a high speed train wasn't fast enough without knowing how fast a train should be able to go.

I get that the comparison isn't great, given that we can use performances to judge players, but I think at the same time that the point holds some merit- like those that say we never spent any money in the summer without considering how much it costs to bring players in.

allmodcons

Sorry but that's just a pure cop out. We're rubbish, recruitment has been poor but I, personally, can't think of a single player that would have been an improvement on what was brought in last summer.

You take zero account of the fact that we lost a great midfield trio and then choose to ignore injuries to a dozen plus players. You're not happy with our current league position, I get that, but let's not put it all down to 'poor' recruitment.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 03:31 PM
If I go into Greggs and their pies are Tom Kite, it’s not on me to come up with a better recipe.

Pish analogy!:wink:

Did all your schoolmates go to Greggs? Were they maybe more Fords or Martins the Bakers?
Season ticket for Greggs?
Go on the Greggs fans forum much?
Ever invest in the replica kit at the Greggs club shop or buy the odd programme at Greggs?
They got a Greggs fans shareholding initiative?
Did your dad and his dad go to Greggs before you and that's why you still go to Greggs?
Getting your wedding done at Greggs? Ashes scattered there?
Ever think that maybe Greggs isn't your sort of club after all?

Centre Hawf
06-01-2019, 03:32 PM

As many have said I’m not paid thousands to do this Job.

Do i need to know how everything works before having an opinion? Cause I can’t bake a pie but I have concerns on the catering at Easter Road, or does knowing how to pour a Bovril cover me?

jeffers
06-01-2019, 03:34 PM

I'm not saying our injuries haven't had an impact, I just don't believe it is big a loss as Hearts injuries are. I'd guess that the players Hearts lost are their best players and those players have been out for a long time. Naismith and Ikpeazu are their first choice strikers.

Gray has been a big loss, but most of the other injuries we've been lucky in that we had decent cover - Marciano when Bogdan was injured and vice versa, Porteous and Efe when Hanlon and McGregor were out, Mackie when Stevenson got injured. Of the others mentioned when when fit most of them weren't getting a regular game anyway.

And for me all those injuries don't detract enough from the fact the players signed in the summer haven't performed well enough.

calumhibee1
06-01-2019, 03:36 PM

We’re 8th in the league and sitting below Livi, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and a Hearts team who have had an absolute meltdown are even considerably ahead of us. What more meat do you need on the bones?

You seem to be suggesting that unless people can’t come up with a list of better players available in the market we operate in that they can’t complain about it, that’s hardly a realistic expectation of football fans is it? To know the names of masses of players plying their trade in lower league Scotland, lower league England and obscure leagues abroad?

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Have I said something wrong in the part you’ve quoted? People are entitled to an opinion on a fans forum no?

Yes, in as much as there's not much (quote) 'joy' in what you responded with. It was crap. Does anyone amongst our number get paid thousands to opine on any aspect of the club from pies to players?

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:40 PM
We’re 8th in the league and sitting below Livi, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and a Hearts team who have had an absolute meltdown are even considerably ahead of us. What more meat do you need on the bones?

You seem to be suggesting that unless people can’t come up with a list of better players available in the market we operate in that they can’t complain about it, that’s hardly a realistic expectation of football fans is it? To know the names of masses of players plying their trade in lower league Scotland, lower league England and obscure leagues abroad?

Exactly. What is wrong with keeping it so simple to identify the way they want the team to play, realise they need a specific kind of player to play a position and source them out? It always seems we sign players just because they are there and take ages finding their best position. Surely to goodness it should be the other way about not just sign Daryl Horgan because he’s available and Lennon fancies him as a player or Mallan because it’s blindingly obvious there is no team logic in the signings - Mallan in particular is playing in a position the manager didn’t realise he can play and Horgan to me is a winger trying to play the Zemmama role.

Shrekko
06-01-2019, 03:40 PM
How can he forget we play in Scotland and what Scottish football is like considering he played the majority of his career here as a player to stop players playing football?

I don’t buy this shortlist pap either.

Lennon was far more than that. He gave others a platform to perform and clearly wants us to be an attractive team.

Good point made above that injuries have hampered us badly - maybe that’s too obvious for some with agendas?

jeffers
06-01-2019, 03:43 PM
I don't think they're expecting you to give a list of names to the club, I think the suggestion is that folk saying things are rubbish might have a suggestion on how it could be better (otherwise the criticism is without context).

Like me saying a high speed train wasn't fast enough without knowing how fast a train should be able to go.

I get that the comparison isn't great, given that we can use performances to judge players, but I think at the same time that the point holds some merit- like those that say we never spent any money in the summer without considering how much it costs to bring players in.

Bit in bold is exactly what allmodcons is saying.

What I would say and have consistently said is I don't think we signed the correct type of players. The midfield in particular are too small and lightweight. We have noone with drive and dig like SJM. We didn't need three wingers given we mainly play with only one and have no forwards who can attack a cross. We definitely needed another forward and that is definitely not hindsight.

I'm certainly not of the opinion we didn't spend money, clearly we did. I just believe we wasted it as based on current showings it is unlikely we'll make any money on these signings in future,

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Lennon was far more than that. He gave others a platform to perform and clearly wants us to be an attractive team.

Good point made above that injuries have hampered us badly - maybe that’s too obvious for some with agendas?

Injuries have affected many teams in the league badly. I don’t seem them lounging about 8th with nearly every summer signing not cutting it?

Lennon knows what Scottish football is all about. I wouldn’t insult his intelligence claiming he forgot that you can’t have a site full of lightweight footballers.

Juniper Greens
06-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Tom Glover is with the club in Dubai. GK from spurs, wonder who he replaces?

Shrekko
06-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Injuries have affected many teams in the league badly. I don’t seem them lounging about 8th with nearly every summer signing not cutting it?

Lennon knows what Scottish football is all about. I wouldn’t insult his intelligence claiming he forgot that you can’t have a site full of lightweight footballers.
The league is very tight - I’m not really aware of teams like Killie, Livi, St Johnstone etc having up to 10-11 players it at a time? You seriously don’t think it’s cost us pretty badly. When everyone was more or less fit we had a cracking run and looked pretty good.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Greg Stewart, Peter Haring, Lewis Ferguson, Kenny Miller, Steven Naismith, Ryan Hardie, Dolly Menga, Tony Watt, Paul McGinn.

There’s a few suggestions and that’s only players recruited by other team about it below our level.

Greg Stewart has performed well for Kilmarnock but in the summer (i.e. - not now with the vision of hindsight) would you have rather had him on loan or Kamberi on a 3 year deal?

Granted, Lewis Ferguson has been a good addition for Aberdeen but, again, I can't recall anybody suggesting he would be a good fit for Hibs before he signed a pre contract deal with Aberdeen.

As for the rest, Kenny Miller (not nearly as good as Kamberi now). Steven Naismith (way out of our reach in monetary terms). Ryan Hardie (another loanee?). As for Dolly Menga, Tony Watt and Paul McGinn if you'd mentioned these guys in the summer you'd have been laughed off these boards.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Tom Glover is with the club in Dubai. GK from spurs, wonder who he replaces?

Its interesting. Marciano is not fit, Bogdan is not 100% fit. Laidlaw is not fit. We've been cutting it fine with goalkeepers for weeks, hence the recall of the young fellah who was out on loan..

(PS - I don't get paid thousands for knowing this).

jeffers
06-01-2019, 03:52 PM
The league is very tight - I’m not really aware of teams like Killie, Livi, St Johnstone etc having up to 10-11 players it at a time? You seriously don’t think it’s cost us pretty badly. When everyone was more or less fit we had a cracking run and looked pretty good.

I'm not convinced we had a cracking run. I'm assuming you mean the games where we beat Dundee and Hamilton and scraped a 1-0 away to St Mirren. Granted you can only beat the opposition in front of you but Dundee were absolutely dreadful and that was the worst Hamilton performance I've ever seen at ER.

Hibernian32
06-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Anyone else think we should just buy Gauld, never ever going to happen but let's be honest, he's gonna run a mock for us and celtic are going to buy him in the summer I can't see it already, so why not just shell out 2mill we would easily recoup that back

brog
06-01-2019, 03:53 PM
3 months into the season we were 2nd in the League & had just enjoyed our highest league win for 14 years. Strangely at that time it was not a Hibs Net fact that our summer recruitment was a failure. We then went to Celtc & IMO NL had a bit of a brain freeze in both his team selection & tactics. We also saw 1st hint of discord within the ranks, again IMO partially brought about by NL's public chastisement of Milligan. Since then we've had more downs than ups but have also suffered disproportionately from injuries. Paradoxically we probably had our best performance of the season, versus Celtc, in that time. Personally I believe our summer recruitment was good & I can only remember positive reaction on this board to our signings. I believe we have a strong enough squad to comfortably finish top 6 but tactics, selections, attitudes & performances all need to improve. I welcome new signings, in particular SA but I suspect the loudest voices shouting for these new players will be the loudest voices decrying our recruitment if we don't finish top 6.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:55 PM

I don’t think it’s effected as badly as being down in 8th in the league regardless of injuries, no. That’s what a squad is for.

Ozyhibby
06-01-2019, 03:56 PM
Anyone else think we should just buy Gauld, never ever going to happen but let's be honest, he's gonna run a mock for us and celtic are going to buy him in the summer I can't see it already, so why not just shell out 2mill we would easily recoup that back

Or he might end up a flop. I’m all for encouraging the board to spend more of the money we have brought in but Gauld is a gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernian32
06-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Just realised he only went for 3m and his value do hasn't increased, so scrap the 2m, more 1.2/1.5

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Greg Stewart has performed well for Kilmarnock but in the summer (i.e. - not now with the vision of hindsight) would you have rather had him on loan or Kamberi on a 3 year deal?

Granted, Lewis Ferguson has been a good addition for Aberdeen but, again, I can't recall anybody suggesting he would be a good fit for Hibs before he signed a pre contract deal with Aberdeen.

As for the rest, Kenny Miller (not nearly as good as Kamberi now). Steven Naismith (way out of our reach in monetary terms). Ryan Hardie (another loanee?). As for Dolly Menga, Tony Watt and Paul McGinn if you'd mentioned these guys in the summer you'd have been laughed off these boards.

Nearly every one of the players I posted would have done a better job than the players we have. Nothing wrong with loanees and laughed off the board or otherwise they have been recruited someone and doing better than the guys we have signed.

Stewart is a different player to Kamberi and would have been a fantastic option, we went for the loan from City instead. does it matter if nobody suggested the others either? The question was asked who was available, there’s the answer.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 03:59 PM

Why would Stewart have been instead of Kamberi and not for example Hyndman or Agyepong ?

And now that some posters have suggested players we could have signed you are dismissing them because they weren't mentioned in the summer ?

If I had remembered I would have said Kenny Miller, definitely better than Shaw and Lewis Allan and fitter than McLaren.

Brooster
06-01-2019, 04:00 PM

How much effort was made to sign Scott Allan?

BOB MARLEYS DUG
06-01-2019, 04:01 PM

He’s got a €60m buy out clause bud.

Centre Hawf
06-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Why couldn’t we have had Kamberi and Stewart? Aberdeen obviously saw something in Ferguson, did we not bother watching him or did we just not think he was good enough?

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Thanks, was just about to edit my post to add Boyle but I'd forgotten Bogdan and Horgan has also missed games through injury.

So, in total, our squad has lost the services of 17 players at some stage of the season. That's bound to have significantly affected consistency of performance and cost us points.

I think there are several games we would have won instead of drawing and games we would have drawn instead of lost, had the injury list not been so severe.

It doesn't matter who we recruit if we don't get the players' services due to injury.

percy veer
06-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Just realised he only went for 3m and his value do hasn't increased, so scrap the 2m, more 1.2/1.5

sod that just go for pogba, sure we will recoup the 100 million.

Hibs spending 1.2 million on a player this place is crazy at times

jeffers
06-01-2019, 04:03 PM
How much effort was made to sign Scott Allan?

Did we approach Celtic at the end of last season or did we wait 'til the SJM deal started to muddy the waters ? Did we try to sign him permanently or just a loan ? If the latter how much did we offer to pay of his wages or did we hope to get him for nothing ?

hibbyfraelibby
06-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Bogdan will be away at season end as will Laidlaw.

hibbyfraelibby
06-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Heard a rumour about the rumour that there will be no more rumours until the rumoured big announcement rumour is overtaken by a new rumour at 5pm on Friday...

Speedway
06-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Heard a rumour about the rumour that there will be no more rumours until the rumoured big announcement rumour is overtaken by a new rumour at 5pm on Friday...

Source?

HibeeDaz6270
06-01-2019, 04:14 PM

Your just plucking random figures.

Ryan Gauld will not be sold by Sporting for anywhere near these figures. If he was sold , it will most likely be for couple hundred grand or he will run down his contract .

I would love to see Hibs show a bit of ambition and spend a bit of money, however not to that value and not on a player who still has to prove himself.

Kamara from Dundee or Shankland from Ayr would have been worth a bit of investment in the Summer past.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 04:14 PM

Good lord!

When have Hibs ever been able to "easily recoup" £2m?

Lancs Harp
06-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Source?

Some guy in Central bar late last night. Its 100% ITK.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2019, 04:17 PM
So, in total, our squad has lost the services of 17 players at some stage of the season. That's bound to have significantly affected consistency of performance and cost us points.

I think there are several games we would have won instead of drawing and games we would have drawn instead of lost, had the injury list not been so severe.

It doesn't matter who we recruit if we don't get the players' services due to injury.

I was saying this the other day - Hearts lost quality and banged on about it to keep their fans calm during their poor run; we’ve lost quantity (and a bit of quality) but folk haven’t noticed and are running around throwing their arms around.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Did we approach Celtic at the end of last season or did we wait 'til the SJM deal started to muddy the waters ? Did we try to sign him permanently or just a loan ? If the latter how much did we offer to pay of his wages or did we hope to get him for nothing ?

Do you know the answers to those questions?

Hibernian32
06-01-2019, 04:18 PM
sod that just go for pogba, sure we will recoup the 100 million.

Hibs spending 1.2 million on a player this place is crazy at times
If you read what I said then you would realise I said never would it happen, and shelling out what I said is nothing compared to pogba 2m wouldn't even touch his wages, your a tad crazy comparing Gauld to Pogba

lyonhibs
06-01-2019, 04:21 PM
If you read what I said then you would realise I said never would it happen, and shelling out what I said is nothing compared to pogba 2m wouldn't even touch his wages, your a tad crazy comparing Gauld to Pogba

Signing Gauld or anyone else for 2 million is as likely as it is us signing Pogba for 100 squillion.
Which is to say, quite correctly, utterly not going to happen.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 04:28 PM
I was saying this the other day - Hearts lost quality and banged on about it to keep their fans calm during their poor run; we’ve lost quantity (and a bit of quality) but folk haven’t noticed and are running around throwing their arms around.

They are 7 points ahead of us having topped the league before injuries bearing in mind how far ahead we finished of them last season. Why? Because they recruited early and well.

If we had started like a train then dismantled because of injuries yet still found ourselves well ahead of them having won at Tynie I’m sure it would be all good of course, reality is the opposite though.

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2019, 04:32 PM
They are 7 points ahead of us having topped the league before injuries bearing in mind how far ahead we finished of them last season. Why? Because they recruited early and well.

If we had started like a train then dismantled because of injuries yet still found ourselves well ahead of them having won at Tynie I’m sure it would be all good of course, reality is the opposite though.

We did start like a train, their train was a little bit quicker? :confused:

hibbyfraelibby
06-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Source?

The Nile...

Beefster
06-01-2019, 04:35 PM
Scott Allan not coming back, then?

Dunno but that wee dreamboat can have his locks anyway he wants, if he does.

When I question one of Mrs Beefster’s authoritative statements, she responds with multiple questions and then makes me a sandwich. It’s all a cunning ploy to distract from the fact that her original statement was based on nothing. True story.

Danderhall Hibs
06-01-2019, 04:36 PM

And that the European games slowed us down, then we got hit by injuries and weeks of inaction that meant our season hasn’t really got started yet. But we’re only 7 points off the pace (that is how we’re measuring ourselves isn’t it?)

Hibernian32
06-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Signing Gauld or anyone else for 2 million is as likely as it is us signing Pogba for 100 squillion.
Which is to say, quite correctly, utterly not going to happen.
Imagine we got 1m for kamberi that's us half way😉

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 04:37 PM
We did start like a train, their train was a little bit quicker? :confused:

And ours derailed faster?

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 04:38 PM
And that the European games slowed us down, then we got hit by injuries and weeks of inaction that meant our season hasn’t really got started yet. But we’re only 7 points off the pace (that is how we’re measuring ourselves isn’t it?)

I would measure us by last years final position and that’s 10 behind Aberdeen who have been in yet another national final.

We did indeed have Europe first, something we happened to be massively underprepared for and at this stage of the season major surgery is required on our already depleted squad injuries or not. If there’s a plan in place to prepare for next season hitting the ground running I would seriously just concentrate on that now because to not have any clue what our best side or set up is in January sounds like season over bar the cup.

stantonhibby
06-01-2019, 04:39 PM
I'm not convinced we had a cracking run. I'm assuming you mean the games where we beat Dundee and Hamilton and scraped a 1-0 away to St Mirren. Granted you can only beat the opposition in front of you but Dundee were absolutely dreadful and that was the worst Hamilton performance I've ever seen at ER.

So we win a game 6-0 and it's basically because the opposition are crap. You're certainly trying to paint as black a picture as possible.

Hibernian32
06-01-2019, 04:42 PM
I'm sure that was just in case he was a super star im sure sporting want to offload him in the summer with 1 year left on his contract they will want cash back, and they won't get back what the paid for him

CapitalGreen
06-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Having a buy out clause of €60m does not mean it would cost €60m to buy him 😂😂

Hibernia&Alba
06-01-2019, 04:45 PM
Desperate for as bit of good news on the transfer front. Just a centre back, two midfielders and a striker, please :agree:

blackpoolhibs
06-01-2019, 04:45 PM
And ours derailed faster?

So we did start like a train then, and of course our injuries have absolutely hee haw to do with how things have gone.

Shooting fish in a barrel.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 04:46 PM
I'm sure that was just in case he was a super star im sure sporting want to offload him in the summer with 1 year left on his contract they will want cash back, and they won't get back what the paid for him

Their main way of getting anything back for their investment in RG will be to shop window him for 6 months at a club like us and hope a club in the U.K. bite in the summer.

The Green Goblin
06-01-2019, 04:47 PM
3 months into the season we were 2nd in the League & had just enjoyed our highest league win for 14 years. Strangely at that time it was not a Hibs Net fact that our summer recruitment was a failure. We then went to Celtc & IMO NL had a bit of a brain freeze in both his team selection & tactics. We also saw 1st hint of discord within the ranks, again IMO partially brought about by NL's public chastisement of Milligan. Since then we've had more downs than ups but have also suffered disproportionately from injuries. Paradoxically we probably had our best performance of the season, versus Celtc, in that time. Personally I believe our summer recruitment was good & I can only remember positive reaction on this board to our signings. I believe we have a strong enough squad to comfortably finish top 6 but tactics, selections, attitudes & performances all need to improve. I welcome new signings, in particular SA but I suspect the loudest voices shouting for these new players will be the loudest voices decrying our recruitment if we don't finish top 6.

I recall that before, as and just after the summer window, closed, there was a fair bit of concern about the quality and quantity of our summer recruitment on here.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 04:47 PM
So we did start like a train then, and of course our injuries have absolutely hee haw to do with how things have gone.

Shooting fish in a barrel.

We started okay then fell away to fk. Our piss poor summer recruitment has more to do with it than injuries that have been covered as a whole.

The Green Goblin
06-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Pish analogy!:wink:

Did all your schoolmates go to Greggs? Were they maybe more Fords or Martins the Bakers?
Season ticket for Greggs?
Go on the Greggs fans forum much?
Ever invest in the replica kit at the Greggs club shop or buy the odd programme at Greggs?
They got a Greggs fans shareholding initiative?
Did your dad and his dad go to Greggs before you and that's why you still go to Greggs?
Getting your wedding done at Greggs? Ashes scattered there?
Ever think that maybe Greggs isn't your sort of club after all?

:greengrin Greggs are my second team. I invest in them financially and emotionally every week. Have done since I were a lad...

jeffers
06-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Dunno but that wee dreamboat can have his locks anyway he wants, if he does.

When I question one of Mrs Beefster’s authoritative statements, she responds with multiple questions and then makes me a sandwich. It’s all a cunning ploy to distract from the fact that her original statement was based on nothing. True story.

If you're trying to be clever you've lost me.

Johnny_Leith
06-01-2019, 04:54 PM
We started okay then fell away to fk. Our piss poor summer recruitment has more to do with it than injuries that have been covered as a whole.

So the summer recruitment had nothing to do with positive results at the start of the season?

jeffers
06-01-2019, 04:58 PM
So we win a game 6-0 and it's basically because the opposition are crap. You're certainly trying to paint as black a picture as possible.

I'm genuinely not, but I thought at the time that result painted a false picture of where we were as a team.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Do you know the answers to those questions?

I was told that in the end we were only in for a loan, but what happened before that I don't know which is why asked. It wasn't me trying to be a smart arse asking questions I already knew the answer to.

JimboHibs
06-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Your just plucking random figures.

Ryan Gauld will not be sold by Sporting for anywhere near these figures. If he was sold , it will most likely be for couple hundred grand or he will run down his contract .

I would love to see Hibs show a bit of ambition and spend a bit of money, however not to that value and not on a player who still has to prove himself.

Kamara from Dundee or Shankland from Ayr would have been worth a bit of investment in the Summer past.

You state the poster is just plucking random figures yet make up your own random figures ?

How do you know what Ryan Gauld will or wont be sold for in the future ?

basehibby
06-01-2019, 05:08 PM
There has been some proper Hibs.net Hibsteria on here with regards to the summer transfer window. On the back of an extended run of mediocre form, plenty are writing off all the signings made as useless in a perfect illustration of the football fan tendency to see everything football encapsulated in a two-tone duopoly of either sheight or brilliant.

Of course the truth is usually somewhere in between. We lost probably the best midfield in Scotland over the summer and replacing that was always going to be Lennon's biggest challenge. Here's my take on how he got on in the summer and what needs to be done over the coming weeks:

Goalies - With Marciano nursing a finger injury, a decent keeper was high up on the agenda. This resulted in the loan signing of Bogdan - which after a slightly shaky start can surely now only be described as inspired. With Bogdan, Marciano and Laidlaw on the books I honestly cannot remember when we have been better covered in this position. I hear there's a keeper from Spurs at the Dubai training camp - possibly a sign of some movement out then as there is no need to tinker.

Defence - We were well covered in central defence with the only problem being a lack of cover at both full back positions. The signing of Whitaker stimulated some debate. There is no denying Whits is a classy player but at 33 he is certainly not the quickest. He has nevertheless done a decent job for us since his return without setting the heather on fire - although SDG remains our first choice RB when fit. Mavrais and Nelom have been brought in laterly as cover and with Mavrais already gone I'll be surprised if Nelom's stay at ER lasts much longer with young Mackie beating him to the punch to fill in for an injured Stevenson.

Midfield - Of course this is where most work had to be done and, after the summer's recruitment, there is still much work to be done. To lose McGinn, McGeough and Allan all at once was a real sickener. Mallan, Milligan, Horgan and Hyndman were the recruits brought in to plug the gap and, while all of them along with Slivka and Bartley, are more than decent players, it was always going to be a case of one step back to (hopefully) take two steps forward. This is where careful spending of the budget becomes necessary, and for me, although a decent amount of cash was spent, I find it hard to believe that a good chunk of our reported biggest football budget in Hibstory is not still resting in the club bank account. My interpretation of this is that the management team chose to wait for suitable targets in our range to become available rather than just splurging on whatever was left on the shelf at the time - not a bad policy but one requiring patience from the fans.
The tidy but somewhat lightweight Hyndman has now been returned to Bournemouth - the rumoured recruitment of Gauld on loan will hopefully see an improvement in this area - I hope so because we need it!

Attack - At the end of last season, Lennon's clear priority was to extend the signings of our free scoring frontmen Kamberi and McLaren. This was achieved with some aplomb. Kamberi in particular is an important player for us and securing him on a three year deal was excellent work which Lennon and co deserve credit for. On the downside was the somewhat questionable decision to let Simon Murray leave. It was pointed out on here at the time that this left us a bit light up front and this has been bourne out. McLaren has made very little impact since his return and I feel too much weight is put on Kamberi's shoulders to be the sole focal point of our attack. We need another good strong option up front and I hope to see that materialise this january.

So - overall, the recruitment in the summer was decent (not sheight, not terrible, not brilliant either - but decent) but left a couple of gaps unfilled. Big challenge is to plug those gaps now and make us a team pushing for europe again rather than the inconsistent mid-table fodder we are right now. Lennon pulled the cat out of the bag last Jan, replacing Stokes and Murray with Kamberi and McLaren and making us a better team as a result. A similar performance this window would be most welcome. Nae pressure Lenny - go for it! :cb

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 05:15 PM
I was told that in the end we were only in for a loan, but what happened before that I don't know which is why asked. It wasn't me trying to be a smart arse asking questions I already knew the answer to.

You initially criticised Hibs for not trying harder to sign Scott Allan, but as you now admit, you have no idea how hard they tried.

BlackSheep
06-01-2019, 05:16 PM
I reckon Laidlaw will be moving on... way down the pecking order with talent in the development team coming through too... the Spurs goalie will be a measure to cover injury to bogdan or marciano with a view to a move should bogdan not return after his loan or marciano leave at the end of the season if he fails to win the number 1 jersey back from bogdan.

weecounty hibby
06-01-2019, 05:19 PM
There has been some proper Hibs.net Hibsteria on here with regards to the summer transfer window. On the back of an extended run of mediocre form, plenty are writing off all the signings made as useless in a perfect illustration of the football fan tendency to see everything football encapsulated in a two-tone duopoly of either sheight or brilliant.

Of course the truth is usually somewhere in between. We lost probably the best midfield in Scotland over the summer and replacing that was always going to be Lennon's biggest challenge. Here's my take on how he got on in the summer and what needs to be done over the coming weeks:

Goalies - With Marciano nursing a finger injury, a decent keeper was high up on the agenda. This resulted in the loan signing of Bogdan - which after a slightly shaky start can surely now only be described as inspired. With Bogdan, Marciano and Laidlaw on the books I honestly cannot remember when we have been better covered in this position. I hear there's a keeper from Spurs at the Dubai training camp - possibly a sign of some movement out then as there is no need to tinker.

Defence - We were well covered in central defence with the only problem being a lack of cover at both full back positions. The signing of Whitaker stimulated some debate. There is no denying Whits is a classy player but at 33 he is certainly not the quickest. He has nevertheless done a decent job for us since his return without setting the heather on fire - although SDG remains our first choice RB when fit. Mavrais and Nelom have been brought in laterly as cover and with Mavrais already gone I'll be surprised if Nelom's stay at ER lasts much longer with young Mackie beating him to the punch to fill in for an injured Stevenson.

Midfield - Of course this is where most work had to be done and, after the summer's recruitment, there is still much work to be done. To lose McGinn, McGeough and Allan all at once was a real sickener. Mallan, Milligan, Horgan and Hyndman were the recruits brought in to plug the gap and, while all of them along with Slivka and Bartley, are more than decent players, it was always going to be a case of one step back to (hopefully) take two steps forward. This is where careful spending of the budget becomes necessary, and for me, although a decent amount of cash was spent, I find it hard to believe that a good chunk of our reported biggest football budget in Hibstory is not still resting in the club bank account. My interpretation of this is that the management team chose to wait for suitable targets in our range to become available rather than just splurging on whatever was left on the shelf at the time - not a bad policy but one requiring patience from the fans.
The tidy but somewhat lightweight Hyndman has now been returned to Bournemouth - the rumoured recruitment of Gauld on loan will hopefully see an improvement in this area - I hope so because we need it!

Attack - At the end of last season, Lennon's clear priority was to extend the signings of our free scoring frontmen Kamberi and McLaren. This was achieved with some aplomb. Kamberi in particular is an important player for us and securing him on a three year deal was excellent work which Lennon and co deserve credit for. On the downside was the somewhat questionable decision to let Simon Murray leave. It was pointed out on here at the time that this left us a bit light up front and this has been bourne out. McLaren has made very little impact since his return and I feel too much weight is put on Kamberi's shoulders to be the sole focal point of our attack. We need another good strong option up front and I hope to see that materialise this january.

So - overall, the recruitment in the summer was decent (not sheight, not terrible, not brilliant either - but decent) but left a couple of gaps unfilled. Big challenge is to plug those gaps now and make us a team pushing for europe again rather than the inconsistent mid-table fodder we are right now. Lennon pulled the cat out of the bag last Jan, replacing Stokes and Murray with Kamberi and McLaren and making us a better team as a result. A similar performance this window would be most welcome. Nae pressure Lenny - go for it! :cb
You havent got the hang of how this thread works have you? Sensible well thought out posts are not welcome here!! I pretty much agree with everything you say

The Modfather
06-01-2019, 05:20 PM

I agree with what you say, but we are short of numbers out wide and up front. Quality can be subjective but to go into the season with 3 senior strikers, and 3* wingers, one of which was a known gamble due to his previous injury record, is difficult to defend IMO.

*I’m assuming Horgan was signed as a winger but been played central more often than not.

For me it’s not so much the lack of quality, I can live with signings not working out if I can see what we’re trying to do, it’s the lack of any discernible strategy as to what our style and formation was planned to be. Even now, picking from a fully fit squad I’m still not sure I know what our best formation and starting 11 is.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 05:21 PM
You initially criticised Hibs for not trying harder to sign Scott Allan, but as you now admit, you have no idea how hard they tried.

I should have added and NL admitting at the AGM that we were never really in for him (I can't remember his exact words>)

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 05:23 PM
I should have added and NL admitting at the AGM that we were never really in for him (I can't remember his exact words>)

I can’t either but it was nothing remotely like you’ve quoted. Something more along the lines of Celtic being too difficult to deal with when we were in for him.

Tug Wilson
06-01-2019, 05:28 PM

Of course the truth is usually som
ewhere in between. We lost probably the best midfield in Scotland over the summer and replacing that was always going to be Lennon's biggest challenge. Here's my take on how he got on in the summer and what needs to be done over the coming weeks:

Pretty much exactly where I am.

We signed international players in Milligan, Horgan and Hyndman and everyone seemed happy. Hasn't quite worked out but far from a disaster.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 05:30 PM

The point i'm trying to make is that (almost) nobody was unhappy with recruitment in the summer.

Now because we're struggling everything is horrendous. There is no middle ground. Board are poor, Manager is poor, recruitment team are poor and players are poor.

There is no real account taken of the injury problems we've had to contend with and anybody who thinks McGeouch, McGinn and Allan would be easy to replace is just not thinking rationally.

It's toys out of the pram stuff. Anybody who knows anything about our club should know that we lose our best players to clubs with more cash than us.

Rebuilding is a process. It's not something that can be done in a single transfer window.

AgentDaleCooper
06-01-2019, 05:34 PM
The point i'm trying to make is that (almost) nobody was unhappy with recruitment in the summer.

Now because we're struggling everything is horrendous. There is no middle ground. Board are poor, Manager is poor, recruitment team are poor and players are poor.

There is no real account taken of the injury problems we've had to contend with and anybody who thinks McGeouch, McGinn and Allan would be easy to replace is just not thinking rationally.

It's toys out of the pram stuff. Anybody who knows anything about our club should know that we lose our best players to clubs with more cash than us.

Rebuilding is a process. It's not something than can be done in a single transfer window.

The ridiculous thing is if we had beaten hearts, no one would be even nearly so distraught with the state of things.

Your last sentence is very wise, but utterly lost on most people on here.

McD
06-01-2019, 05:35 PM

What makes you sure sporting want to offload him in the summer?

CMurdoch
06-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Their main way of getting anything back for their investment in RG will be to shop window him for 6 months at a club like us and hope a club in the U.K. bite in the summer.

Is the correct answer. it can go 2 ways.
If Gauld plays to Hyndman/Mallan standard then everyone loses Hibs, Sporting and the player.
If Gauld plays well everyone wins but no chance we can buy Gauld.

He is a great kid. I am excited and delighted that Hibs has been chosen to be the shop window for such a talent.

Dalianwanda
06-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Thanks for this, a nice relief to read something well thought and balanced on Hibs.net...:top marks

elevengoats
06-01-2019, 05:40 PM
I agree with all of that and when we beat Celtc there were large chunks of that game which showed that is possible even with our lightweight midfield. There was a combination of us being good and them being terrible but much of that came from a high press which looked deliberate and organised. I can hardly think of another game this season where we had anything like that purpose and certainly not that level of organisation.

Maybe one of the big issues is we don't have a style of play for players and supporters to buy into. Lennon has shown us a bit of everything from hoofball in the Championship to some of the best attacking stuff I have seen in 40 years plus. We rock up not knowing what to expect and most weeks the players look similarly confused.

We look at our best when we play at a high energy level and get players and the ball moving quickly. The problem is that you need a team to all do that or you end up running about chasing the ball when your team mates sit and watch. Leadership, passion and energy are far more important to our success this year than a big unit. It wasn't SJM size but his will to win and boundless energy that made him so important. The current players and manager need to show a bit more of that to lift us from our current malaise. We look lifeless, and lacking leadership on the touchline and that is being mirrored on the pitch.

Spot on!

06-01-2019, 05:42 PM
I agree with what you say, but we are short of numbers out wide and up front. Quality can be subjective but to go into the season with 3 senior strikers, and 3* wingers, one of which was a known gamble due to his previous injury record, is difficult to defend IMO.

*I’m assuming Horgan was signed as a winger but been played central more often than not.

For me it’s not so much the lack of quality, I can live with signings not working out if I can see what we’re trying to do, it’s the lack of any discernible strategy as to what our style and formation was planned to be. Even now, picking from a fully fit squad I’m still not sure I know what our best formation and starting 11 is.

I tend to to agree with you. What to me is more worrying is that I don’t believe NL knows what his best 11 is because we don’t appear to have a discernible strategy and I accept that he has had to deal with a long list of players being unavailable throughout the season so far but that is no excuse for not having a clearly defined strategy for play.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Top post. Brilliant and balanced just like our midfield was before we lost 3 key players.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 05:48 PM
I can’t either but it was nothing remotely like you’ve quoted. Something more along the lines of Celtic being too difficult to deal with when we were in for him.

I worded that badly should have said his comments were along the lines of we were never in with a chance of signing him. I think you are right that he mentioned celtic being difficult to deal with given what had happened with SJM, which is why I initially questioned if we had waited until that saga before enquiring about SA.

At the end of last season getting SA signed up asap would have been my top priority. I don't think we tried that hence my comment about not trying hard enough and waiting until our relationship with celtic had deterioated after their failure to sign SJM.

06-01-2019, 05:48 PM
I reckon Laidlaw will be moving on... way down the pecking order with talent in the development team coming through too... the Spurs goalie will be a measure to cover injury to bogdan or marciano with a view to a move should bogdan not return after his loan or marciano leave at the end of the season if he fails to win the number 1 jersey back from bogdan.

I understand what you are saying but cannot believe that signing another goalkeeper has taken priority ahead of the other really obvious needs we have as a team.

04Sauzee
06-01-2019, 05:51 PM
I understand what you are saying but cannot believe that signing another goalkeeper has taken priority ahead of the other really obvious needs we have as a team.

Nobody has said it's a priority maybe he's become available unexpectedly and there is no harm in having him checked out.

Johnny_Leith
06-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Teams work on several signings at once. Some happens quicker than others. I doubt GK is a "priority" but there's probably other moves in motion that means we will need some cover.

JimBHibees
06-01-2019, 05:54 PM

Rebuilding is a process. It's not something that can be done in a single transfer window.

Spot on absolute lack of context in a lot of the posts.

Billy Whizz
06-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Nobody has said it's a priority maybe he's become available unexpectedly and there is no harm in having him checked out.

I agree. We don’t know the situation with Bogdan and Marciano, and if the rumours are true, Laidlaw is moving on. So this could be a major area

The good news about the training camp, is it will allow the likes of Gray, Hanlon and Bartley to get some training under their belts, and hopefully Porteous is not too far away either

HibeeMackenzie
06-01-2019, 05:59 PM
I agree. We don’t know the situation with Bogdan and Marciano, and if the rumours are true, Laidlaw is moving on. So this could be a major area

The good news about the training camp, is it will allow the likes of Gray, Hanlon and Bartley to get some training under their belts, and hopefully Porteous is not too far away either

Porteous is about 5000 miles away from the squad

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:00 PM

That's a different argument, it was the dreadful summer recruitment idea that I was discussing, but you may have a point.

However, I would say that NL does tend to change formations depending on who we're playing, and I also think he's had a hard job keeping even a core of the team steady because of the injuries.

Billy Whizz
06-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Porteous is about 5000 miles away from the squad

Sorry I thought he travelled

Lago
06-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Something that has puzzled is where do Hibs cast their recruitment net ? I see Celtic pursuing a young player from Ivory Coast, currently with a Slovakian side, worth £2million. Now how does a Slovakian club manage to recruit a player of this value?

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 06:05 PM

We don’t have a 100% fit, experienced goalkeeper and every week we need two. Doesn’t get any more obvious.

Dalianwanda
06-01-2019, 06:07 PM
Something that has puzzled is where do Hibs cast their recruitment net ? I see Celtic pursuing a young player from Ivory Coast, currently with a Slovakian side, worth £2million. Now how does a Slovakian club manage to recruit a player of this value?

You cant get any further away than Australia :greengrin

Lago
06-01-2019, 06:11 PM
You cant get any further away than Australia :greengrin
We got old crocks from there, no resale value, where is the young talent from developing countries ?

jeffers
06-01-2019, 06:12 PM
We got old crocks from there, no resale value, where is the young talent from developing countries ?

Don't you mean crocs ? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:17 PM
I worded that badly should have said his comments were along the lines of we were never in with a chance of signing him. I think you are right that he mentioned celtic being difficult to deal with given what had happened with SJM, which is why I initially questioned if we had waited until that saga before enquiring about SA.

At the end of last season getting SA signed up asap would have been my top priority. I don't think we tried that hence my comment about not trying hard enough and waiting until our relationship with celtic had deterioated after their failure to sign SJM.

You're desperate to find fault with Hibs and you're making things up to do so.

Hibs did try, but Celtic wouldn't play ball.

It was well known for months that John McGinn would leave last summer. He would have been away last January but Nottingham Forest didn't table a high enough offer.

Hibs interest in Allan would undoubtedly have been used by Celtic as a lever to get McGinn, regardless of how early we made an approach or how much we offered.

Unless you're arguing that we should have sold him to Celtic, I don't know what more Hibs could have done under those circumstances. Beg?

Lago
06-01-2019, 06:18 PM
Don't you mean crocs ? :greengrin
Touche

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Has it taken priority?

Shrekko
06-01-2019, 06:20 PM
I don’t think it’s effected as badly as being down in 8th in the league regardless of injuries, no. That’s what a squad is for.

You’re wrong then.

basehibby
06-01-2019, 06:25 PM

The Scottish league is somewhat hamstrung by the UK Home Office regulations which demand that a player must be a regular international to be granted a visa. This is possibly/probably not the case in Slovakia.

The flip side of this is that our home grown talents get more of a chance to shine without having to fight their way through ranks of mediocre journeymen from all corners of the earth.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 06:25 PM
You're desperate to find fault with Hibs and you're making things up to do so.

Hibs did try, but Celtic wouldn't play ball.

It was well known for months that John McGinn would leave last summer. He would have been away last January but Nottingham Forest didn't table a high enough offer.

Hibs interest in Allan would undoubtedly have been used by Celtic as a lever to get McGinn, regardless of how early we made an approach or how much we offered.

Unless you're arguing that we should have sold him to Celtic, I don't know what more Hibs could have done under those circumstances. Beg?

I'm not desperate to find fault with Hibs and tell me what exactly have I made up ? The only thing I said I had heard was in the end we were only in for a loan, the other things I questioned.

No not beg, maybe pay a higher percentage of his wages or even all of them.

B.H.F.C
06-01-2019, 06:28 PM
That's a different argument, it was the dreadful summer recruitment idea that I was discussing, but you may have a point.

However, I would say that NL does tend to change formations depending on who we're playing, and I also think he's had a hard job keeping even a core of the team steady because of the injuries.

I called the summer recruitment a disaster and stand by it. But I should explain what I mean.

I think we signed some good individual players. I’m one of the few who still thinks Mallan could be a good player for us. I think Horgan could be a good player if played properly. I think Kamberi is a very good player if we can get him right.

Signing good individual players is one thing but I don’t see how what we signed fits together. It’s a team game and if you have good individual players who don’t give you the right balance then I don’t think you’ve recruited well enough.

I also don’t think we did enough to repair the damage of losing the midfield three. Despite all the injuries, that area of the team hasn’t been hit too much. We lost Hyndman for a few games but he is away already anyway. Bartley has had injuries but I don’t think he’d have been a regular starter anyway. In Milligan we signed a player who wasn’t available to play for a month after we announced his signing. And now we’ve lost him for a month. And finally, I think we left ourselves short up front as well.

With all that in mind I don’t think it was a good window in the summer at all. This window is off to a terrible start with the loss of Ambrose as well although I appreciate that was out of our control.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 06:30 PM
I called the summer recruitment a disaster and stand by it. But I should explain what I mean.

I think we signed some good individual players. I’m one of the few who still thinks Mallan could be a good player for us. I think Horgan could be a good player if played properly. I think Kamberi is a very good player if we can get him right.

Signing good individual players is one thing but I don’t see how what we signed fits together. It’s a team game and if you have good individual players who don’t give you the right balance then I don’t think you’ve recruited well enough.

I also don’t think we did enough to repair the damage of losing the midfield three. Despite all the injuries, that area of the team hasn’t been hit too much. We lost Hyndman for a few games but he is away already anyway. Bartley has had injuries but I don’t think he’d have been a regular starter anyway. In Milligan we signed a player who wasn’t available to play for a month after we announced his signing. And now we’ve lost him for a month as well. And finally, I think we left ourselves short up front as well.

With all that in mind I don’t think it was a good window in the summer at all. This window is off to a terrible start with the loss of Ambrose as well although I appreciate that was out of our control.

A great summation. None of the signings are without ability I'm just not convinced how they all fit into a formation that works.

calumhibee1
06-01-2019, 06:32 PM

Plenty people were unhappy with the recruitment in the summer. Remember the summer transfer thread? All the bedwetter patter etc when people weren’t happy with it? People had questioned why we kept signing loads of similar players in the summer and why we never had enough forwards and both of they issues have come back to bite us.

Everything isn’t horrendous just now. We’re excellent in the goalkeeping department. We’re decent, albeit a bit short in defence. Midfield imo we’re poor and up top we have a good striker in Kamberi but other than that our forward line needs work. So not all bad but our midfield is a huge concern as is our lack of anybody of any real quality other than Kamberi up top for me.

We have of course had injury problems but there has been suggestions Maclaren was injured from the moment he got here, Agyepong has a history of being injured, Daz had already started to struggle with injury last season as had Gray so while it has of course been bad on top of they guys maybe we should have tried to avoid signing guys who were apparently injured upon signing or had a history of frequent injuries?

Ozyhibby
06-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Scottish clubs are pretty poor at bringing in big transfer fees. We only really recruit youngsters locally, while clubs in other countries who are no bigger than Hibs, Hearts etc bring in youngsters from all over the world. Talent development can be very lucrative for a club our size if we decide to go that route.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:39 PM
I'm not desperate to find fault with Hibs and tell me what exactly have I made up ? The only thing I said I had heard was in the end we were only in for a loan, the other things I questioned.

No not beg, maybe pay a higher percentage of his wages or even all of them.

You're making everything up because you want it to be Hibs fault.

"I don't think we tried that hence my comment about not trying hard enough and waiting until our relationship with celtic had deterioated after their failure to sign SJM."

That's made up.

You don't know what % of wages we offered, but you're still saying we didn't try hard enough, so yes, you're making it up.

You've also ignored me pointing out that your complaint that maybe Hibs could have nicked Allan before the SJM issue came into play was nonsense.

If you're not desperate for it all to have been Hibs fault, why don't you blame Celtic instead?

Maybe you could make some stuff up about them.

Haymaker
06-01-2019, 06:40 PM
:hyper

greenpaper55
06-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Every year when the transfer window comes round i always get to quote Spike Milligan who said" suddenly nothing happened" that sums us up for the most part. We always seem to be the last to bring players in , maybe to save another months wages who knows.

The Green Goblin
06-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Every year when the transfer window comes round i always get to quote Spike Milligan who said" suddenly nothing happened" that sums us up for the most part. We always seem to be the last to bring players in , maybe to save another months wages who knows.

I think he’s away with the Australian squad at the moment. When did he say that?

jeffers
06-01-2019, 06:44 PM
You're making everything up because you want it to be Hibs fault.

"I don't think we tried that hence my comment about not trying hard enough and waiting until our relationship with celtic had deterioated after their failure to sign SJM."

That's made up.

You don't know what % of wages we offered, but you're still saying we didn't try hard enough, so yes, you're making it up.

You've also ignored me pointing out that your complaint that maybe Hibs could have nicked Allan before the SJM issue came into play was nonsense.

If you're not desperate for it all to have been Hibs fault, why don't you blame Celtic instead?

Maybe you could make some stuff up about them.

Again I've made nothing up I've asked questions. As you clearly know exactly what happened please enlighten me. If getting SA was dependent on celtic getting SJM why did he think up until the last minute that he was coming to us in loan during the summer window ?

FWIW I don't think celtic are blameless in this.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:44 PM
I think he’s away with the Australian squad at the moment. When did he say that?

It was the 70's.

Yes, he's that old.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Plenty people were unhappy with the recruitment in the summer. Remember the summer transfer thread? All the bedwetter patter etc when people weren’t happy with it? People had questioned why we kept signing loads of similar players in the summer and why we never had enough forwards and both of they issues have come back to bite us.

Everything isn’t horrendous just now. We’re excellent in the goalkeeping department. We’re decent, albeit a bit short in defence. Midfield imo we’re poor and up top we have a good striker in Kamberi but other than that our forward line needs work. So not all bad but our midfield is a huge concern as is our lack of anybody of any real quality other than Kamberi up top for me.

We have of course had injury problems but there has been suggestions Maclaren was injured from the moment he got here, Agyepong has a history of being injured, Daz had already started to struggle with injury last season as had Gray so while it has of course been bad on top of they guys maybe we should have tried to avoid signing guys who were apparently injured upon signing or had a history of frequent injuries?

I disagree, IMO the vast majority were happy with recruitment in the summer. With 1 or 2 exceptions (maybe you?), everybody was delighted at the thought of Kamberi and McLaren teaming up again.

We failed in bid to get Brandon Barker on loan again (probably down to money) and Agyepong, who no doubt would have undergone an extensive medical, looked liked a decent alternative but, unfortunately, picked up an injury.

There is no doubting midfield is a problem area but at a club like Hibs you simply cannot replace quality like McGeouch, McGinn and Allan in a sinlge transfer window.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Again I've made nothing up I've asked questions. As you clearly know exactly what happened please enlighten me.

You have said on numerous occasions that you think Hibs didn't try hard enough. You have zero evidence of that so you've made it up.

I think you cheated at school exams and I don't think you try very hard when you're having sex. I'm not making anything up, though.

See, it's easy. :wink:

The Leith Dutch
06-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Do i need to know how everything works before having an opinion?

Nope. But if you can't suggest alternatives then it's not a very interesting opinion or something that's actually worth posting. It's just a complaint.

Are you entitled to complain on a fan's forum?
Sure.

Are people going to have issues with constant complaining?
Very likely.

People aren't saying everyone should be happy with the recruitment or where we are in the league. But saying "it's ****" and offering no alternatives isn't going to lead to any interesting debate.

Ozyhibby
06-01-2019, 06:50 PM
I disagree, IMO the vast majority were happy with recruitment in the summer. With 1 or 2 exceptions (maybe you?), everybody was delighted at the thought of Kamberi and McLaren teaming up again.

We failed in bid to get Brandon Barker on loan again (probably down to money) and Agyepong, who no doubt would have undergone an extensive medical, looked liked a decent alternative but, unfortunately, picked up an injury.

There is no doubting midfield is a problem area but at a club like Hibs you simply cannot replace quality like McGeouch, McGinn and Allan in a sinlge transfer window.

You can’t replace that midfield overnight but a good start is not to buy players who would not get a game for smaller clubs in our league. Hyndman and Milligan would not get a game for St. Johnstone never mind Hibs.

Allant1981
06-01-2019, 06:52 PM
You can’t replace that midfield overnight but a good start is not to buy players who would not get a game for smaller clubs in our league. Hyndman and Milligan would not get a game for St. Johnstone never mind Hibs.

rubbish, Hyndman has now played for us and the rangers so clearly can play, granted didnt show it every game here but lets not kid ourselves on that he cant play,and Milligan is no where near as bad as some make out, starting and being captain for your country is no mean feat at any level

The Green Goblin
06-01-2019, 06:52 PM
It was the 70's.

Yes, he's that old.

🤔 Does that count as a woosh? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:53 PM
As you clearly know exactly what happened please enlighten me.

I only know what you know.

Celtic wouldn't play ball with us.

SJM was known to be available.

Celtic aren't stupid in business and they would have used SA in any negotiation because they knew we wanted him. It wouldn't have mattered when we made our approach.

I think it's Celtic's fault we don't have Scott Allan.

Would you have sold SJM to them with Scott Allan as part payment?

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 06:54 PM
🤔 Does that count as a woosh? :greengrin

Yours does. Mine was a play on MMs age. :na na:

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 06:56 PM

Tommy Wright would take both.

They are decent players. Both internationalists.

As I've said already in this thread, there is absolutely no balance you're either brilliant or rubbish.

McD
06-01-2019, 07:00 PM
Nope. But if you can't suggest alternatives then it's not a very interesting opinion or something that's actually worth posting. It's just a complaint.

Are you entitled to complain on a fan's forum?
Sure.

Are people going to have issues with constant complaining?
Very likely.

People aren't saying everyone should be happy with the recruitment or where we are in the league. But saying "it's ****" and offering no alternatives isn't going to lead to any interesting debate.

Exactly! :aok:

And if you’re going to constantly complain, then you can’t take umbrage if other posters complain about your posts

The Green Goblin
06-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Yours does. Mine was a play on MMs age. :na na:

I knew what I was saying. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
06-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Tommy Wright would take both.

They are decent players. Both internationalists.

As I've said already in this thread, there is absolutely no balance you're either brilliant or rubbish.

Can’t disagree with your last paragraph, crazy on here at time, or all of the time it seems

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:08 PM
I knew what I was saying. :greengrin

:aok:

jeffers
06-01-2019, 07:08 PM
I only know what you know.

Celtic wouldn't play ball with us.

SJM was known to be available.

Celtic aren't stupid in business and they would have used SA in any negotiation because they knew we wanted him. It wouldn't have mattered when we made our approach.

I think it's Celtic's fault we don't have Scott Allan.

Would you have sold SJM to them with Scott Allan as part payment?

Again (not a new post) I heard from decent source that when we signed SA in the last January window we agreed a portion of his wages but at the last minute we went back to celtic and said we wanted him for nothing and as they had a greater need for Scott Bain they reluctantly accepted it. When it came to the summer they wanted us to pay his full wages - we refused. So again I'd say getting SA was not dependent on them getting SJM.

Seeing SJM in a Celtic jersey would be tough to take but with hindsight I may be tempted.

Re the school comment I never cheated I had a good memory (then at least.) Re the sex one, we've never met have we ? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Again (not a new post) I heard from decent source that when we signed SA in the last January window we agreed a portion of his wages but at the last minute we went back to celtic and said we wanted him for nothing and as they had a greater need for Scott Bain they reluctantly accepted it. When it came to the summer they wanted us to pay his full wages - we refused. So again I'd say getting SA was not dependent on them getting SJM.

Seeing SJM in a Celtic jersey would be tough to take but with hindsight I may be tempted.

Re the school comment I never cheated I had a good memory (then at least.) Re the sex one, we've never met have we ? :greengrin

I don't believe that story about the % of wages. I think it's just another fake way for those with an agenda to have a kick at the board. There have been several different tales, all from seemingly good sources.

I prefer to believe the best source. Neil Lennon, who, as you know, said that Celtic wouldn't talk to us about it.

I wouldn't have sold to Celtic given the potential sell on value and other bonuses that might kick in from Villa, particularly if they get promoted while SJM is there, but fair enough if you would have.

I never said you did cheat, I only asked.

I now totally regret the sex analogy.

06-01-2019, 07:20 PM
We don’t have a 100% fit, experienced goalkeeper and every week we need two. Doesn’t get any more obvious.

We have 2 if not 3 very good goalkeepers plus the boy Dabrowski in the young team. They will get themselves fit. All I am saying is that there are other areas of the team that require strengthening ahead of the goalkeeping position.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 07:24 PM

That’s something else you never heard Neil Lennon say at the AGM where you thought you heard him say we were never in for him. Have I got that bit right?

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 07:30 PM
We have 2 if not 3 very good goalkeepers plus the boy Dabrowski in the young team. They will get themselves fit. All I am saying is that there are other areas of the team that require strengthening ahead of the goalkeeping position.

Hamilton away we were close to having no keeper at all. Neither were 100% fit. Marciano came in at the last minute that day when Bogdan pulled up in the warm up. Rocky has had several months to get fit, Huns at ER proved he hasn’t. Bogdan is carrying a groin injury and has for a while. Dabrowski was recalled from his loan because of this. Laidlaw nowhere close to fitness. Doesn’t surprise me we are looking at a keeper. Essential.

Not in the know. I just accidentally do.

DarlingtonHibee
06-01-2019, 07:31 PM
That’s something else you never heard Neil Lennon say at the AGM where you thought you heard him say we were never in for him. Have I got that bit right?

Fact agm,when asked about sa Neil said things were a bit fraught with celtic after SJM going to villa.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Fact agm,when asked about sa Neil said things were a bit fraught with celtic after SJM going to villa.

Fact is Neil Lennon said they had spoken and it didn’t go well. He said **** all about wages. Or sex.

hibbyfraelibby
06-01-2019, 07:35 PM
Grahame or Andrew, either or both?

04Sauzee
06-01-2019, 07:36 PM

What about them ?

DarlingtonHibee
06-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Exactly celtic through their toys out the pram after we refused their offers for John, hence the Scott loan was impossible on our budget

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:41 PM
He said **** all about sex.

I think he did.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Why didn’t we try to get Allan before selling McGinn? Surely that would have made more sense though there was nothing until the end of the window.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Why didn’t we try to get Allan before selling McGinn? Surely that would have made more sense though there was nothing until the end of the window.

Do you think that there would have been any possibility of Celtic selling SA to us without bringing him into a negotiation about SJM?

Really?

Iggy Pope
I think he did.

Well you’re wrong. He said he was **** at sums.

Johnny_Leith

You don't think Celtic would have seen right through that?

We wanted Allan, we still do. Celtic knew this. It was within their best interests to keep him and use him as a bargaining chip.

I thought everyone discussed this to death in the summer.

DarlingtonHibee
06-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Because celtic were trying to get John on the cheap.

Scott Allen will be on four times wages than he would get at hibs.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Well you’re wrong. He said he was **** at sums.

:tee hee:

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Because celtic were trying to get John on the cheap.

Scott Allen will be on four times wages than he would get at hibs.

Rumoured to be on £8000 a week.
Would be at top end of our payroll on £4000 a week.

Winston Ingram
06-01-2019, 07:49 PM

How do you know they didn’t?

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 07:51 PM
Do you think that there would have been any possibility of Celtic selling SA to us without bringing him into a negotiation about SJM?

Really?

Yes.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 07:53 PM
How do you know they didn’t?

Lennon himself said there was no movement on Allan throughout the summer when we should have been trying to get him in for Europe not to be used in a McGinn deal that wasn’t ever straight forward. Instead we lost both players and have to now hope Celtic play ball this month.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:53 PM
Yes.

I really hoped you would say that.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Lennon himself said there was no movement on Allan throughout the summer when we should have been trying to get him in for Europe not to be used in a McGinn deal that wasn’t ever straight forward. Instead we lost both players and have to now hope Celtic play ball this month.

The transfer window opened in the middle of June.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 07:55 PM
You don't think Celtic would have seen right through that?

We wanted Allan, we still do. Celtic knew this. It was within their best interests to keep him and use him as a bargaining chip.

I thought everyone discussed this to death in the summer.

We should have tried to insist it was two completely separate things and Allan concluded before us in Europe. Celtic didn’t bid enough for McGinn so our gamble fell completely flat and we ended up with a pap loan last day of the window similar to the other midfielders.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 07:56 PM
The transfer window opened in the middle of June.

Lennon admitted an interest in the middle of Aug.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Lennon admitted an interest in the middle of Aug.

Celtic bid for SJM in June.

The_Horde
06-01-2019, 07:58 PM

Graeme or none. If Andrew darkens our door again it'll be a sad day, I'd rather we'd kept Hyndman.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Celtic bid for SJM in June.

The window opened at the beginning of June? The first McGinn bud was start of July the second middle of July before our European match.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 08:03 PM

Again, definitely not what Neil Lennon said at the AGM unless ‘movement’ equates only to Allen with the scarf above his head. Hibs and Celtic spoke, no doubt in my mind. If they spoke more than once, I don’t know. That information wasn’t shared when the man himself was asked directly.

SloopJB
06-01-2019, 08:03 PM
so everything is looking good then?

06-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Hamilton away we were close to having no keeper at all. Neither were 100% fit. Marciano came in at the last minute that day when Bogdan pulled up in the warm up. Rocky has had several months to get fit, Huns at ER proved he hasn’t. Bogdan is carrying a groin injury and has for a while. Dabrowski was recalled from his loan because of this. Laidlaw nowhere close to fitness. Doesn’t surprise me we are looking at a keeper. Essential.

Not in the know. I just accidentally do.

I will bow to your superior knowledge. However there are 3 to 4 weeks to get these guys fit before we have any major games to play and I still feel that other positions in the team need strengthening more that of goalkeeping.

Johnny_Leith
06-01-2019, 08:06 PM
We should have tried to insist it was two completely separate things and Allan concluded before us in Europe. Celtic didn’t bid enough for McGinn so our gamble fell completely flat and we ended up with a pap loan last day of the window similar to the other midfielders.

No movement doesn't mean no contact, no negotiation, no interest.

Unless McGinn went to Celtic. Allan was not coming here.

1875Sean
06-01-2019, 08:08 PM
Rumoured to be on £8000 a week.
Would be at top end of our payroll on £4000 a week.

Who is on 4K a week at the moment ?

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 08:10 PM

You have an agenda against Hibs for some reason and you're pushing it even when your arguments are utterly irrational.

I have a ticket for a cup final that I don't need. I don't really need to recoup the cost because I'm comfortable financially.

I know that you want the ticket.

You have a ticket for a gig that I'd like to go to, but I also reckon you need to get as much as you can for it cos you're not that well off.

Also, the gig isn't for a while, so I can afford to wait and if you haven't sold it soon, you won't be able to.

Try to persuade me to sell you the cup final ticket.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 08:10 PM
No movement doesn't mean no contact, no negotiation, no interest.

Unless McGinn went to Celtic. Allan was not coming here.

That’s called being completely bent over then - with an obviously lack of plan b.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 08:11 PM

Not sure anybody is. My guess is that would the top end of our payroll.

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 08:11 PM

You have an agenda against Hibs for some reason and you're pushing it even when your arguments are utterly irrational.

I have a ticket for a cup final that I don't need. I don't really need to recoup the cost because I'm comfortable financially.

I know that you want the ticket.

You have a ticket for a gig that I'd like to go to, but I also reckon you need to get as much as you can for it cos you're not that well off.

Also, the gig isn't for a while, do I can afford to wait and if you haven't sold it soon, you won't be able to.

Try to persuade me to sell you the cup final ticket.

I stopped reading once you made up some story about me having an agenda with the club I support. Have a good evening. 👍

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 08:12 PM
That’s called being completely bent over then - with an obviously lack of plan b.

Do you think our club ever does anything right?

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 08:13 PM
I stopped reading once you made up some story about me having an agenda with the club I support. Have a good evening. 👍

You have the biggest agenda against Hibs I've seen on this board.

You're even inventing ludicrous and impossible negotiation scenarios to blame them.

At least I've found a way to shut your nonsense up. :aok:

HibeeDaz6270
06-01-2019, 08:14 PM

I doubt any player is on £4k basic. Neil Lennon may be though.

Iggy Pope
06-01-2019, 08:16 PM
I will bow to your superior knowledge. However there are 3 to 4 weeks to get these guys fit before we have any major games to play and I still feel that other positions in the team need strengthening more that of goalkeeping.

It’s ok, no subservience necessary. Like I said, it’s accidental knowledge but if you were at any game past month or so you’ll see the problems. We had to get a 20 year old recalled from Berwick Rangers such was the concern. I’m sure the staff would rather he was till seeing out his loan? We played Hamilton with no reserve goalie on the bench. 3 or 4 months hasn’t worked and 3 weeks won’t sort it. Interested to see who is in goals for the friendly. We need two fit experienced keepers.

sambajustice
06-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Anyone heard anything about Cameron Burgess?

SaulGoodman
06-01-2019, 08:20 PM

You didn’t though, did you?

Johnny_Leith
06-01-2019, 08:20 PM

Hyndman? Mallan? Horgan? Few creative Players brought in. Players sometime don't fit clubs. Sometimes they perform brilliantly. Sometimes they break their leg first training session. We can't forsee how every singing will play out.

We can't always get the players in we want. You don't know what discussions took place over the summer, do you? It's in the fabric of a club like Hibernian.

Our place in the food chain.

The_Horde
06-01-2019, 08:23 PM

No.

Eaststandee
This thread needs binned

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

J-C

We did in fact get SA for free in January due to Celtics greater need for Bain, I had heard Celtic wanted too much money either for a sale or a loan and we wouldn't pay, the McGinn deal certainly caused a lot of problems re Allan, Lawwell basically being a dick.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-01-2019, 08:24 PM

No another bloody Australian!

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 08:25 PM

You have the biggest agenda against Hibs I've seen on this board.

You're even inventing ludicrous and impossible negotiation scenarios to blame them.

At least I've found a way to shut your nonsense up. :aok:

😂😂😂

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 08:26 PM
You didn’t though, did you?

I did. I hope I didn’t miss anything good!

The 90+2
06-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Do you think our club ever does anything right?

Yes, from going down until this summer (18) with a couple of glitches last summer (17) from the appointment of Dempster to bring back the feel good factor from the sub 10k morgue and dread watch Hibs became and watching mates walk away to packed to the rafters brilliant matches the club have done exceptional in my eyes. Recently, not so good.

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 08:29 PM
😂😂😂

I thought you'd stopped reading my posts because I pointed out your anti-Hibs agenda, but you fully read that one which had the same comment.

Some people might think you had actually found my negotiation example a bit too difficult to answer. :hmmm:

jeffers
06-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Aye very good if you read back I corrected that post.

The same person who told me also told me in the summer that Ambrose had a clause in his contact that meant he could leave for free.

Yellowcard
06-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Is there any “news” or rumors on the go? Or just moaning and one upmanship posts. Mair likely to get some hibs sense fae ma wife

Speedway
06-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Anyone heard anything about Michael Caine?

john18722
06-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Is there any “news” or rumors on the go? Or just moaning and one upmanship posts. Mair likely to get some hibs sense fae ma wife

This. It’s bloody boring searching through this thread for some actual transfer chat.

PatHead
06-01-2019, 08:42 PM

If he is signing for Hibs, not a lot of people know that.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 08:43 PM

He was at a party once when the hostess approached him (she had no idea who he was) and asked him if he was a drug dealer as everyone was calling him My Cocaine.

allmodcons
06-01-2019, 08:49 PM
He was at a party once when the hostess approached him (she had no idea who he was) and asked him if he was a drug dealer as everyone was calling him My Cocaine.

We might not agree about recruitment in the summer but I expect we can agree on 2 things:-

1. Your jokes are terrible.
2. Ally MacLeod was brilliant (my hero as a boy when he was part of a very poor Hibs team).

Captain Trips
06-01-2019, 08:51 PM
If he is signing for Hibs, not a lot of people know that.

He was only to sign the bloody contract.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 08:53 PM
We might not agree about recruitment in the summer but I expect we can agree on 2 things:-

1. Your jokes are terrible.
2. Ally McLeod was brilliant.

As long as it doesn’t get (too) personal it would be a boring place if we all agreed with each other :greengrin

The Michael Caine one was actually a true story or at least he told it as such on the Graham Norton show.

Absolutely, my favourite Hibs player of all time.

Diclonius
06-01-2019, 08:55 PM

This guy? (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cain_(footballer))

Hibbyradge
06-01-2019, 08:56 PM

He's a nosey neighbour.

mcfly
06-01-2019, 08:56 PM
We are now on page 92 of this thread

this is really for transfer stories

Can we please just keep a January transfer window thread for transfers only?

We all want some new players in as we need them to get up this league.

cleanyman
06-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Fair to say Rangers are doing their all to win this title...

Remember the arguments about Celtic winning up to 12 in a row ?

Looks a bit silly now

Fuzzywuzzy
06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Fair to say Rangers are doing their all to win this title...

Remember the arguments about Celtic winning up to 12 in a row ?

Looks a bit silly now

Also about £38 m in the hole. How the **** the authorities haven't stepped in is mental.

Lago
06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
This. It’s bloody boring searching through this thread for some actual transfer chat.

The fact your having to search answers your question.

Speedway
06-01-2019, 09:05 PM
So...

Two names from the summer are back doing the rounds on social media.

Cian Bolger and Zac Clough, whose current loan expires this month.

Speedway
06-01-2019, 09:10 PM
That Shankland wind up is picking up pace too.

jeffers
06-01-2019, 09:10 PM
I just watched highlights of Gillingham game , hard to properly judge a player on that but Eaves looked pretty decent.

BILLYHIBS
06-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Wayne Rooney just been arrested for being drunk and swearing in public in the US

Shudda come to HIBS. :greengrin

The_Horde
06-01-2019, 09:14 PM
So...

Two names from the summer are back doing the rounds on social media.

Cian Bolger and Zac Clough, whose current loan expires this month.

One was made up by a fake account on Twitter. Clough was TC123?

Lancs Harp
06-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Wayne Rooney just been arrested for being drunk and swearing in public in the US

Shudda come to HIBS. :greengrin

Old story from mid December he got fined $25.

Johnny_Leith
06-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Steven Davis resigns for rangers on loan until the end of the season, when his Southampton contact expires.

Good signing for them. If they get Jones and kamara in during Jan, they could win this league.

Callum_62
06-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Wheres the clough and bolger rumours coming from?

Clough was a £3million player not so long ago

No idea what type of player he is though - read striker/attacking midfielder

Heisenberg
06-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Wheres the clough and bolger rumours coming from?

Clough was a £3million player not so long ago

No idea what type of player he is though - read striker/attacking midfielder

Aye he’s a tiny wee attacking midfielder. Not exactly a priority if Gauld signs.

Keyser Sauzee
06-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Hearing that we’ve signed Shankland, anyone else heard the same?

Callum_62
06-01-2019, 09:36 PM

Where you hearing that from - decent source?

Hes injured, so would make sense

21sMay
06-01-2019, 09:37 PM

Trying but no where near I'm hearing

CallumLaidlaw
06-01-2019, 09:42 PM

There’s fake news stories stating that Hibs have agreed a fee with Ayr. Might just be folk believing them. I honestly have no idea why folk think they’re funny with that and the fake Hibs twitter. They surely have other things they could do with their time.