PDA

View Full Version : We Should Honour Them All

CentreLine
11-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Interesting website here https://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.org/hibernian-players-in-the-first-world-war/
that shows the players and former players of each club that served in WWI. Without any intention to create a league table or going in to former players, as that leads to a number of duplicates, the numbers of these incredibly brave men who were players at the time are shown on this site as follows:

Heart of Midlothian FC had 23 players sign up, of whom 5 were killed in action

Celtic FC had 13 players sign up, of whom 1 was killed in action

Rangers FC had 10 players sign up, all of whom survived

Hibernian FC had 9 players sign up, of whom 2 were killed in action

Ayr United FC had 8 players sign up, of whom 2 were killed in action

Raith Rovers FC had 8 players sign up, of whom 3 were killed in action

Falkirk FC had 7 players sign up, of whom 1 was killed in action

Aberdeen FC had 2 players sign up and both were killed in action

Morton FC had 1 player sign up and he was killed in action in action

Each and every one of these men deserve our gratitude and respect, not just on this 100th anniversary of the ending of WWI but each and every day.
No league tables, no points scoring please on this thread, let's just remember them with dignity.
It is also worth noting that this site does not record the brave men and women that served in the supply chains such as the armed merchant navy vessels, the medical corp, etc., etc., many of whom did not survive. We should remember all of them and the sacrifices they made.

Tom Hart RIP
11-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Well said

hibby rae
11-11-2018, 09:41 AM
If it includes Bobby Atherton then presumably it does include the Merchant Navy?

CentreLine
11-11-2018, 09:47 AM
If it includes Bobby Atherton then presumably it does include the Merchant Navy?

Sadly no. Only military service included on this particular site.

wookie70
11-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Footballers were more likely to die than average soldiers who had a 88.5% chance of survival. My view is that it doesn't matter what job they were doing. A star centre forward serving is no different to a brick layer, plumber or clerk.

CentreLine
11-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Footballers were more likely to die than average soldiers who had a 88.5% chance of survival. My view is that it doesn't matter what job they were doing. A star centre forward serving is no different to a brick layer, plumber or clerk.

Agreed and I hope I made that clear in my OP. If I did not I sincerely apologise. Today is the day we remember every person affected by conflict, past and present. Being a Scottish football forum I thought it pertinent to lean towards the football players involved. I tried so hard to get that balance and to create a dignified, genuine thread

CockneyRebel
11-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Agreed and I hope I made that clear in my OP. If I did not I sincerely apologise. Today is the day we remember every person affected by conflict, past and present. Being a Scottish football forum I thought it pertinent to lean towards the football players involved. I tried so hard to get that balance and to create a dignified, genuine thread

You did mate.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-11-2018, 11:00 AM

I think that most people get that, but at the same time, you can't tell everyone' story . Given the popularity of football in the UK , these stories are a way to get a decent engagement I think. There were many "Pals" Regiments , but not all of them get their story told outwith their own areas and communities.

One Day Soon
11-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Good post.

judas
11-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Not to mention the Gretna Rail disaster

NAE NOOKIE
11-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Well said.

Here’s Lucy!
11-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Don't even think about knocking yourself on this one, man.

You did a superb and poignant post, well done. :top marks

Pete
11-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Lovely post. 👍🏼