PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment

eastcoasthibby
11-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Just how good is our recruitment ? In the past couple of seasons how good has it really been ? Have they found a right or left back to challenge SDG or Lewis ? We knew McGinn and McGeouch were going for nearly a full season, after a couple of years searching they found a centre forward in Kamberi and the jury is still out on McLarens real value. They have not found another midfielder to go box to box, and I am sure people will have views on other gaps in the team squad that havent been addressed.
The summer recruitment - Kamberi, McLaren, S Allan were from last season, Milligan, knocked us back initially then eventually signed. Horgan appears a new target. We.
failed to get Barker back and have got the injury prone. Agyepong. Hyndman it feels like is a fall back choice ! Mallan a genuine target who fortunately wanted to.come here. The two recent full back signings (no disrespect intended to the guys as we havent had the.opportunity for whatever reason, to see them) again smack of desperation signings !! Hopefully, they will when fit and match fit add something better than we have. Sorry forgwt Bogdan has been a bonus signing, I have to say.
All said I really believe.the.summer recruitment was nowhere near good enough, this isnt just reaction to.recent games, I said it before the window closed ...
Overall given its the full time and part time jobs of goodness knows how many people nowadays, taking however much of our biggest ever footballing staff budget, but I obviously am questioning just if we are getting value and are they good enough ??

Viva_Palmeiras
11-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Barker - find. Can’t force keep em all.
Kamberi - jewel. One we were all amazed glad to get full time
Bogdan - looks good and wants to stay
Milligan - Aussie captain and looks solid decent range of passing goal threat
Mallan - potent goal threat from midfield.

Internationalists across the team.

The attitude of our recruits cannot be underestimated - after years
lacking leadership we have players coming in with the right mindset. Long way from putting all our leadership efforts into McPake.

Blue print is in place. Things won’t always work out but we’re learning and getting better imo.

Mission impossible to replace McGinn and McGeoch but we made a cracking start including a run in Europe.

Cannot underestimate the loss of Hanlon and McGregor (lessened to a degree with Porteois stepping up) tho’.

Well steady the ship and get back on track.frustrating tho it is

Beefster
11-11-2018, 09:31 AM
The clubs paying tens of millions for players don’t have anything like a total success rate. It must be even harder for clubs who don’t have huge sums to spend on transfer fees and scouting networks.

Some folk seem to think it’s an exact science and is just a case of saying ‘we need a box-to-box midfielder, let’s get one’.

bingo70
11-11-2018, 09:42 AM
The clubs paying tens of millions for players don’t have anything like a total success rate. It must be even harder for clubs who don’t have huge sums to spend on transfer fees and scouting networks.

Some folk seem to think it’s an exact science and is just a case of saying ‘we need a box-to-box midfielder, let’s get one’.

Championship manager has a lot to answer for.

The Modfather
11-11-2018, 09:43 AM
It’s probably still too early early to judge this summers activity but to me it looks like we will need closer to major surgery in January to achieve what we want than a few tweaks. Time will tell.

I do think there is a sensible, constructive debate to be had about recruitment under Lennon. I thought we had two poor windows in the championship, a poor window last summer, and a January window that exceeded all expectations. So IMO, our recruitment team and Lennon have a 1 in 4 success rate with this summers recruitment too early to tell definitively.

J-C
11-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Championship manager has a lot to answer for.

Was about to say the same re Football Manager, wish it was as simple as these games make out.

There are lots of circumstances with regards our recruitment, getting the right players attitude wise, convincing them to come here, possibly a drop in wages but guaranteed 1st team football.

Blaster
11-11-2018, 09:55 AM
The summer window brought us quality players like

Kamberi
McLaren
Mallan
Bogdan
Milligan
Hyndman
Horgan

For me we really only missed out on another quality striker. Our defence is fine. Injuries have cost us. There is more/better to come from some of these players.

Get Scott Allan and another striker and we’ll still be challenging for top 4

Leith Green
11-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Its definitely not as straight forward as some might think , especially when you are operating in the market Hibs are. Sometimes you get it right and find the direct replacement you need and away we go, other times you get lucky and sign a good player whose game can adapt to play a different role to suit the team ,didnt Mcgeough play further forward for us in his first 2 seasons compared to the last 2 and like Hartley did at Hearts , suppose thats clever management as well as good recruitment. A lot of the time though a new signing is definitely going to struggle if he has replaced a good quality player. All of the above said though doesnt mean we should accept mediocrity or not acknowledge that our signings maybe dont look to be whats required. This summers transfer window has genuinely left me concerned with what we have especially in midfield, we are lightweight with no drive or creativity.

Dancehibs
11-11-2018, 10:14 AM

Kamberi
McLaren
Mallan
Bogdan
Milligan
Hyndman
Horgan

For me we really only missed out on another quality striker. Our defence is fine. Injuries have cost us. There is more/better to come from some of these players.

Get Scott Allan and another striker and we’ll still be challenging for top 4
a few players on that list have lots to do to earn the title of quality.

Dancehibs
11-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Barker, Dylan , SJM and Allan left and replacements were never going to be as good but so far the new signings have disappointed.

end of the season will show how well the signings have done.

I m hoping Lenny signs a few more players in January to improve starting XI

Heisenberg
11-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Barker, Dylan , SJM and Allan left and replacements were never going to be as good but so far the new signings have disappointed.

end of the season will show how well the signings have done.

I m hoping Lenny signs a few more players in January to improve starting XI

I’d argue that saying Mallan and Milligan have disappointed is harsh. Horgan and Hyndman i’d agree so far. McLaren hasn’t been fit for any length of time and neither has Agyepong.

Blaster
11-11-2018, 10:35 AM
a few players on that list have lots to do to earn the title of quality.

Were Kamberi and McLaren not quality last season? Injuries have prevented them starting together much this season

Milligan and Mallan are quality as is Bogdan

Hyndman has quality but agree we’ve not seen the best of him or Horgan as yet. In fairness to them the team has chopped and changed too much but I still believe they are good players

A brand new midfield was always going to be difficult especially with the players we lost. Let’s not discard them as poor signings yet is what I am saying

Beefster
11-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Incidentally, large swathes of the user base on here were all for binning McGeouch before his last season heroics. If that doesn't demonstrate that, sometimes, a wee bit of patience doesn't go amiss, I'm not sure what does tbh.

Dancehibs
11-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Were Kamberi and McLaren not quality last season? Injuries have prevented them starting together much this season

Milligan and Mallan are quality as is Bogdan

Hyndman has quality but agree we’ve not seen the best of him or Horgan as yet. In fairness to them the team has chopped and changed too much but I still believe they are good players

A brand new midfield was always going to be difficult especially with the players we lost. Let’s not discard them as poor signings yet is what I am saying
Did l say say Flo and maclaren aren’t quality. I didn’t mention names.

I said judge new new signings at end of season.

I don’t care about what a player did last season it’s irrelevant. Maclaren needs to start performing now. As do other new signings who haven’t done it

angus hibby
11-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Our recruitment is fine. Wasn’t so long ago we were boasting about having 14 or so internationalists in our squad. A tough run of fixtures which haven’t gone our way and everything getting questioned!

Injuries to key players, Hanlon in particular haven’t helped our cause. We’ll be back to winning ways soon enough.

blackpoolhibs
11-11-2018, 11:50 AM
I think its clear that our midfield as it is, is not good enough. We can make all the excuses we like about Slivka Hyndman and Horgan, but they have not produced anything remotely good enough consistently yet.

Our defence is good, and will be even better once Hanlon is back, but the midfielders are not creating nearly enough chances, and although Mallan has scored some screamers, he's not creating much for any of the others.

The midfield Milligan apart are a little lightweight in my opinion too, and when i hear folk saying we should have gone to tynecastle and played our normal way instead of playing Bartley, i think these folk are not watching the same team as me?

We dont have the team this season to go toe to toe against the better sides away from home, and play them off the park.

I also dont think our midfield are that good at protecting the back four either, which says a lot about how good our defence have done.

McLaren is the latest scapegoat, when he's just back from injury and feeding off scraps from a clearly inadequate midfield.

One week its Stevenson, then Daz, the next Whittaker and sometimes he's not even played.

We have proved we can score goals, our defence do not lose many goals, but we don't create nearly enough chances yet we do score goals which contradicts that.

For me, the midfield needs surgery, and while Scott Allan would be an improvement there, we also need Aygenpong if thats how you spell it back, and Horgan to step up too, or better players to come in during the next window.

Borderhibbie76
11-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Kamberi
McLaren
Mallan
Bogdan
Milligan
Hyndman
Horgan

Get Scott Allan and another striker and we’ll still be challenging for top 4Summer window was OK imo but should have been better we really needed another striker and should have moved heaven and earth to sign Scotty Allan ...let's hope we rectify both is these positions in Jan window...we need to if we want top 4 imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
11-11-2018, 01:20 PM
One midfielder (maybe two) needed in January (Allan and someone with physical strength) and a backup striker or two. Defence is fine.

SlickShoes
11-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Fed up with seeing people thinking that McGinn is even remotely replaceable on our budget and position in Scottish football.

I think the players we have been signing are good, players get injured, generally it's not their fault.

The only place we are lacking is up front when Kamberi or Mclaren is injured or out, but you can't always build a perfect team especially when are actually working and sticking to a budget.

Dancehibs
11-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Fed up with seeing people thinking that McGinn is even remotely replaceable on our budget and position in Scottish football.

I think the players we have been signing are good, players get injured, generally it's not their fault.

The only place we are lacking is up front when Kamberi or Mclaren is injured or out, but you can't always build a perfect team especially when are actually working and sticking to a budget.
I can’t say many people saying we should have replaced like for like.

Our midfield is bang average

calumhibee1
11-11-2018, 01:55 PM

I’ve never saw anyone on here suggest McGinn was replaceable. It’s more that people think we should have signed better. Not that we should have signed a McGinn replacement of the same ability.

SlickShoes
11-11-2018, 02:14 PM
It's been suggested numerous times but really he is an irreplacable midfielder.

Many times when we play bad we play like we played last season with him missing, it's just impossible to get someone even half of what mcginn was when he left, our only choice is to get players with potential and give them time to grow and learn and most people on here only want to ever see the finished article.

The 90+2
11-11-2018, 02:23 PM

We didn’t replace McGinn with anyone near his ability and with £3m for him all we did was being in someone on loan until January. McGinnis replacement should have been sounded out before the summer as should Dylan’s it’s worrying a lot of the players we sign seem to have been offered to us rather than scouted for a specific position also.

wookie70
11-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Our defence has looked solid against the poorest team in the league and when we had a more settled team. It looks like it will lose a goal every week now it is being swapped and changed through injuries and suspensions. We were scoring goals most weeks against the poorer teams but that has dried up against the better teams who play tight football. I think we are a middle of the league team mostly because we play so freely but don't have midfielders who have the ability to be creative and combative like McGinn and Dylan. Lennon's drive to play forward thinking attractive football might need to be compromised because we don't have the players to do it this year. Its more than new players bedding in and I doubt that will change this year without some strengthening or a slight change the way we are playing to keep a solid shape. Saying that we lost two of the best midfielders I can remember seeing in the green and also our maestro in Allan.

It was always going to be tough this year and we are now seeing a team that Lennon built rather than a team that Stubbs built. The combination of Lennon's drive and will to win combined with Stubbs' eye for a player made for a couple of very good years. Lennon just needs to find a few McGeough, McGinn, McGregors etc in the winter window and to be fair he did a great job in the harder window last season.

Dancehibs
11-11-2018, 02:33 PM
We didn’t replace McGinn with anyone near his ability and with £3m for him all we did was being in someone on loan until January. McGinnis replacement should have been sounded out before the summer as should Dylan’s it’s worrying a lot of the players we sign seem to have been offered to us rather than scouted for a specific position also.
Liam Henderson should have been signed. John and Dylan were always moving on. Poor planning.

Weegreenman
11-11-2018, 06:08 PM
The league table never lies. We can talk about injuries or whatever excuse you want to use. The facts are, the product on the park is nowhere near good enough so far this season. Some players are clearly underperforming. If we can get those players to step up a level or two we’ll be back in business and I include one or two that others seem to have written off as not good enough. It’s still early in the season, once we get SDG and Hamlon back fit, I can see us putting a run of wins together.