PDA

View Full Version : Steve Clarke

Springbank
10-11-2018, 04:35 PM
currently showing us how to do it at Hearts away.
smashing manager.

Diclonius
10-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Killie have a great record there, but you can't dispute the fact that Hearts would be playing completely differently if that Killie XI happened to be playing in green in a derby.

HIBERNIAN-0762
Next Hibs manager ☺

JohnM1875
He's done such an amazing job at Killie. Unbelievable really. Hopefully some English team come in for him ASAP.

SirDavidsNapper
10-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Killie with half a team out aswell

Borderhibbie76
10-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Killie with half a team out aswellSurely no...after all it's only Hertz who have injuries no??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

K.Marx
10-11-2018, 04:46 PM
What he’s done is quite remarkable really. I don’t think any other manager in the country could of done what he has.

jacomo
10-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Killie have a great record there, but you can't dispute the fact that Hearts would be playing completely differently if that Killie XI happened to be playing in green in a derby.

True dat.

Since90+2
10-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Next Hibs manager ☺

Little chance of that unfortunately.

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Next Scotland manager preferably this month.

LustForLeith
10-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Always said I’d take him at Easter Road. Agree though, would like to see him as Scotland Manager

Scotty Leither
10-11-2018, 05:24 PM
I heard we had him lined up with Billy Stark as his assistant before we appointed Fenlon.

The deal fell through because of issues over money.

green day
10-11-2018, 05:26 PM
I heard we had him lined up with Billy Stark as his assistant before we appointed Fenlon.

The deal fell through because of issues over money.

Excellent - we need more "mate down the pub" style speculation to hit the club this weekend :thumbsup:

Scotty Leither
10-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Excellent - we need more "mate down the pub" style speculation to hit the club this weekend :thumbsup:

In all seriousness Green day, I very rarely post unsubstantiated rumours. This was from a good source at the time, and I don't frequent pubs much.

Nor do I have many mates either ;-)

Barman Stanton
10-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Agreed Clarke is a top manager. Thankfully we have one as well. A few bad results don’t change that.

B.H.F.C
10-11-2018, 05:50 PM
Agreed Clarke is a top manager. Thankfully we have one as well. A few bad results don’t change that.

Agree with that.

Although what Clarke has done on his budget is superb.

G B Young
10-11-2018, 05:52 PM

According to Clarke he had a brief phone call with Petrie back in 2010 but it went no further than that:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/steve-clarke-was-mystified-by-hype-he-was-hibs-choice-1-826973

I'd have been very surprised if we'd managed to appoint him back then to be honest. His next post was assistant at Liverpool before going on to manage West Brom, Reading and Villa. Pretty sure family connections helped Killie to land him (think his family are Killie fans) but it's proved to be a brilliant appointment. He's got massive experience with many clubs down south and will likely move on to bigger things again.

hibees 7062
10-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Levien knocked him back for Levien

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Levien knocked him back for Levien

:greengrin

Haymaker
10-11-2018, 06:03 PM

Why would he take that job?

bingo70
10-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Why would he take that job?

More money, higher profile, better route back to English football and the honour of managing your country.

BILLYHIBS
10-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Oh dear Oh dear!

judas
10-11-2018, 06:40 PM

I heard it was Stuart Baxter who was coming 😀

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 06:43 PM
In all seriousness Green day, I very rarely post unsubstantiated rumours. This was from a good source at the time, and I don't frequent pubs much.

Nor do I have many mates either ;-)

He was odds on favourite at one point yeah! Didn’t we appoint Calderwood instead?

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 06:43 PM
More money, higher profile, better route back to English football and the honour of managing your country.

Erm Bingo 👍

California-Hibs
10-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Really hope hes the next Scotland manager. What a job he's done!

G B Young
10-11-2018, 07:22 PM

He'll surely have his sights set higher than that dead-end role.

bigwheel
10-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Doing a great job. Could see them getting a top 3 finish if their big players keep
Injury free

SingaporeHibs
10-11-2018, 07:42 PM
His background in football is fantastic, he is a smart Football manager. Is he a great guy to listen to post match? No. Is he about the most boring guy you might see on TV? Maybe. Does he have an ability to get the best out of a group of players who might be average? I think he is proving that he can. From his TV interviews I can’t work him out but he is clearly a very good man manager. He is doing an amazing with the resources he has. Would be quite happy if he ended up our next boss if we needed a new one for whatever reason.

eastmainsmsh
10-11-2018, 07:48 PM
Next Celtic manager

One Day Soon
10-11-2018, 07:50 PM
For various reasons we either didn't want him or he wasn't interested in coming at the times when there was a vacancy or potential vacancy so the possibility has never got past first base.

As we are just six points behind them with a game in hand and there is currently no vacancy I think we can view the speculation as entirely that - let's see how they, he and we do over the whole season.

Keith_M
10-11-2018, 07:50 PM
They're now only 2 points behind Hearts, with the same number of games played.

St Johnstone are only 3 behind Hearts and are going great guns

The combined income of both clubs is probably smaller that that of either Hearts or Hibs, so they have to be applauded for how well they're doing.

One Day Soon
10-11-2018, 07:52 PM

The combined income of both clubs is probably smaller that that of either Hearts or Hibs, so they have to be applauded for how well they're doing.

They do and St Johnston's position puts our last game against them into some perspective.

The Modfather
10-11-2018, 07:56 PM
According to Clarke he had a brief phone call with Petrie back in 2010 but it went no further than that:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/steve-clarke-was-mystified-by-hype-he-was-hibs-choice-1-826973

I'd have been very surprised if we'd managed to appoint him back then to be honest. His next post was assistant at Liverpool before going on to manage West Brom, Reading and Villa. Pretty sure family connections helped Killie to land him (think his family are Killie fans) but it's proved to be a brilliant appointment. He's got massive experience with many clubs down south and will likely move on to bigger things again.

Clarke dodges a bullet in 2010, I doubt he would have been able to have the same success as he is with Killie given how shambolic and amateur we were as a club then and in the proceeding years.

Hopefully there isn’t a vacancy for a long time yet, but if/when Lennon leaves Clarke would be my choice as a replacement.

bingo70
10-11-2018, 07:59 PM
His background in football is fantastic, he is a smart Football manager. Is he a great guy to listen to post match? No. Is he about the most boring guy you might see on TV? Maybe. Does he have an ability to get the best out of a group of players who might be average? I think he is proving that he can. From his TV interviews I can’t work him out but he is clearly a very good man manager. He is doing an amazing with the resources he has. Would be quite happy if he ended up our next boss if we needed a new one for whatever reason.

Completely agree.

I’ve let my mind wander to who will be our next manager over the last week or so and whilst he ticks pretty much every box I really struggle to look past how boring he comes across. I wonder if it’s maybe his lack of charisma that’s made it difficult for him to get a better job down south.

He has done an absolutely unbelievable job at Killie but I hear him talking and I just can’t understand how someone with such a monotone voice can possibly inspire a group of players?! I just don’t get it but he’s obviously doing something right.

I started to wonder if it’s maybe a touch of the Terry Butchers and he’s the right person for the right club at the right time or maybe he’s got a brilliant assistant who is the real brains behind the operation but he’s had good success at other clubs so he’s obviously just very good at what he does.

I dare say I could stomach his boring post match interviews if he had us winning every week.......

SingaporeHibs
10-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Completely agree.

I’ve let my mind wander to who will be our next manager over the last week or so and whilst he ticks pretty much every box I really struggle to look past how boring he comes across. I wonder if it’s maybe his lack of charisma that’s made it difficult for him to get a better job down south.

He has done an absolutely unbelievable job at Killie but I hear him talking and I just can’t understand how someone with such a monotone voice can possibly inspire a group of players?! I just don’t get it but he’s obviously doing something right.

I started to wonder if it’s maybe a touch of the Terry Butchers and he’s the right person for the right club at the right time or maybe he’s got a brilliant assistant who is the real brains behind the operation but he’s had good success at other clubs so he’s obviously just very good at what he does.

I dare say I could stomach his boring post match interviews if he had us winning every week.......
Its interesting because I like Lennon and his honesty, he wears his heart on his sleeve. As a fan it’s nice to hear a manager tell it like it is after the team fail to show up. He talks like a fan and we all lap it up because he is a ‘winner’ and won’t take failure. How many times does that get said amongst us? Reality is that no manager ever doesn’t mind getting beat. The only difference is how that gets put across to the press.
What someone might say to the press and how they perform as a manager are two very different things. Steve Clark is obviously proving that point right now.

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 09:36 PM
They do and St Johnston's position puts our last game against them into some perspective.

We would be? We where shocking. No excuse.

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-11-2018, 09:46 PM

Tommy Wright has really sorted that Saints team since they got that serious doing from Celtc.

lord bunberry
10-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Clarke won’t be coming to us anytime soon.

Gloucester Hibs
10-11-2018, 09:54 PM
It’s not a gimme he’d be a success at Hibs. We’ve got previous for snatching a Killie manager who had them punching above their weight... Entertainment and cinemas and aw that!

Haymaker
11-11-2018, 12:21 AM

More money maybe, honour definitely but the others I'd say he's best staying where he is.

Nakedmanoncrack
11-11-2018, 01:09 AM
Should have been appointed Scotland manager, easily the best manager in the league since he took over at the pie palace.

Diclonius
11-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Since being promoted St Johnstone have finished above us in all but two seasons (the season after being promoted, and last season) and have won the Scottish Cup, same as us. No excuses for not being better than them.