PDA

View Full Version : Pittodrie - worst away end in Scotland

Carheenlea
10-11-2018, 07:32 AM
For a £26 ticket price it needs to be said that the facility Aberdeen give you in return is diabolical - wonky seats bolted onto a crumbling terracing, but because everyone stands the view is brutal. Can’t imagine those shorter than me and the kids there would have enjoyed much of a view . Will wear the Cuban heels next time.

http://i64.tinypic.com/bdod2p.jpg

One Day
10-11-2018, 08:50 AM
What's happening in with their proposed new stadium

marinello59
10-11-2018, 08:52 AM
What's happening in with their proposed new stadium

The ground work has started.

Golden Bear
10-11-2018, 08:56 AM

:greengrin

SChibs
10-11-2018, 09:00 AM
For a £26 ticket price it needs to be said that the facility Aberdeen give you in return is diabolical - wonky seats bolted onto a crumbling terracing, but because everyone stands the view is brutal. Can’t imagine those shorter than me and the kids there would have enjoyed much of a view . Will wear the Cuban heels next time.

http://i64.tinypic.com/bdod2p.jpg

I don't think people have a choice not to stand because of the fence. I was standing at the back and still had a restricted view of the pitch

EricM
10-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Worst away end in the premier league, seats have been a joke for years.

Ticket had “Adult £24” on it, still charged £26

Skol
10-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Never been but surely it cant be worse than tynecastle

Glory Lurker
10-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Way worse than Tynecastle. Embarrament of a ground. Even the Richard Donald stand is looking tired.

lyonhibs
10-11-2018, 01:16 PM

Significantly worse than Tynecastle. Rivalled only by Celtc Park for utter crudness IMO

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Much preferred the old Beach End. Even after falling and breaking my wrist when John McGachie scored. 1983 season maybe?

bigwheel
10-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Much preferred the old Beach End. Even after falling and breaking my wrist when John McGachie scored. 1983 season maybe?

Think I recall someone hurting themselves at that game !

BlackSheep
10-11-2018, 01:46 PM
The proximity to the home support alone makes it a terrible away end. My first visit last night and having to endure their rubbish songbook is enough but being within 10/15 feet of them is just stupid... most at the ends of the aisles are subjected to abuse and taunts most of the game and sections of our support are more than happy to take the bait.
Add to this the seating, or should I say mini slides....! It was more like doing a squat than sitting when we did sit down... the fence segregation made standing a must for most of the game!

NAE NOOKIE
10-11-2018, 01:53 PM
To be fair Aberdeen are well aware of the shortcomings of Pittodrie …. though whether that entitles them to charge £26 for the doubtful privilege of watching football there is another matter.

It just seems such a shame that they have been forced to go down the soulless out of town stadium route. I'm still not convinced they couldn't build a 20,000 seater on the Pittodrie footprint when Hearts have managed to ( almost :greengrin ) do it on a similar if not smaller one … if you cant build out the way build up they way surely.

Unlike Hearts Aberdeen could easily utilise at least 2 of their 4 corners and build a 7,000 seat two tier main stand on the opposite side to the current one .. surely that leaves scope to fit in 13,000 seats on the other 3 sides.

At the end of the day I suppose its cheaper and more practical to go down the soulless out of town route … But it has to be said isn't it typical of the anti football snobbery which exists in city and town councils that Aberdeen have had so many problems in acquiring a site closer to the city. A city which if it wasn't for its football club would be best known for being the birthplace of a fictional science fiction character and a song written by two folk who had never even visited the place.

There's gratitude for you. :bitchy:

Keith_M
10-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Is it worse than the away end at Celtc Park?

BegbieHSC
11-11-2018, 02:05 AM

I’d say so tbh. The wing closest to the stand is a total blind spot.

Parkhead is slight better, and not crumbling.

Incidentally - I had the worst steak pie in my puff going to the football at Pittodrie last night. Disgusting.

marinello59
11-11-2018, 09:19 AM
To be fair Aberdeen are well aware of the shortcomings of Pittodrie …. though whether that entitles them to charge £26 for the doubtful privilege of watching football there is another matter.

It just seems such a shame that they have been forced to go down the soulless out of town stadium route. I'm still not convinced they couldn't build a 20,000 seater on the Pittodrie footprint when Hearts have managed to ( almost :greengrin ) do it on a similar if not smaller one … if you cant build out the way build up they way surely.

Unlike Hearts Aberdeen could easily utilise at least 2 of their 4 corners and build a 7,000 seat two tier main stand on the opposite side to the current one .. surely that leaves scope to fit in 13,000 seats on the other 3 sides.

At the end of the day I suppose its cheaper and more practical to go down the soulless out of town route … But it has to be said isn't it typical of the anti football snobbery which exists in city and town councils that Aberdeen have had so many problems in acquiring a site closer to the city. A city which if it wasn't for its football club would be best known for being the birthplace of a fictional science fiction character and a song written by two folk who had never even visited the place.

Aberdeen’s problems with moving to a new site were nothing to do with anti football snobbery and everything to do with wanting somebody else to pay. They could have stayed where they are but instead of buying the large piece of vacant land next to Pittodrie they latched on to one of our Euro finals bids and went after an out of town site they thought would be paid for by the government.
They then went after another out of town site which they insisted on calling a community stadium.... which they expected the council to fund. The stadium they have finally got around to building is only just within the city boundary. They seem to think they will sell it out just because it’s new. They won’t.

Barney McGrew
11-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Yes, it is. At least Celtic have the courtesy of saying some of their seats are restricted view, while pretty much every one in that section in Pittodrie can’t see the whole pitch.

jellybean
11-11-2018, 09:58 AM
And it's freezing, and fans are regularly attacked by the seagulls.😂😂

Steven79
11-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Worst away end in the premier league, seats have been a joke for years.

Ticket had “Adult £24” on it, still charged £26

They only charge £24 for the home fans in the south stand.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Pittodrie is an absolute toilet

Hermit Crab
11-11-2018, 11:29 AM

Absolutely not imo.

kaimendhibs
11-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Shocker of an away section

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
11-11-2018, 11:42 AM
Pittodrie was past it's sell by date when i first went in 1991

Hibernia&Alba
11-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Yes, it's really bad, and, being next to the North Sea, is absolutely freezing cold all year round. Fair play to the sheep fans, they endure the worst weather conditions in the country.

The view at Parkhead is also atrocious, but the conditions much more comfortable.

Carheenlea
11-11-2018, 11:52 AM
One thing we couldn’t complain about on Friday night was the cold - for a November fixture and compared with previous winter trips it was relatively balmy.

EastCalderHibby
11-11-2018, 12:02 PM

It will be finished before the pbs is :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-11-2018, 12:03 PM
And it's freezing, and fans are regularly attacked by the seagulls.😂😂

Glad that we don't have issues with Seagulls at Easter Road......

BullsCloseHibs
11-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Worst away end and, along with Dens Park, the worst ground in the top flight.

Hermit Crab
11-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Never been to Hamilton then?

Kojock
11-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Never been to Hamilton then?

As far as viewing area goes Hamilton is far superior to Aberdeen and Celtic. We were three rows from the front on Friday and the view was deplorable.

pollution
11-11-2018, 12:31 PM
How things change. In the late 70's ( ? ) Pittodrie was praised as the stadium of the future for the first all seated stadium in Scotland.

I saw the great Beckenbauer being run ragged by Ferguson's Dons. I saw George Best pass a ball from one corner flag 40 yards to a Hibs player too.

Great atmosphere then.

HibeeHibernian4
11-11-2018, 12:35 PM
How things change. In the late 70's ( ? ) Pittodrie was praised as the stadium of the future for the first all seated stadium in Scotland.

Don't know how they did it back then, but if it was the same seats hastily bolted onto the crumbling steps of the South Stand, I'd be unsure on calling it 'all-seater'.

Hermit Crab
11-11-2018, 12:37 PM
As far as viewing area goes Hamilton is far superior to Aberdeen and Celtic. We were three rows from the front on Friday and the view was deplorable.

I was in Row L right next to the fence and apart from the fence I think the view is ok.

Hermit Crab
11-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Don't know how they did it back then, but if it was the same seats hastily bolted onto the crumbling steps of the South Stand, I'd be unsure on calling it 'all-seater'.

Did it not used to be benches before the proper seats were put in?

Smartie
11-11-2018, 12:49 PM

The bar was pretty low for stadia at that time.

It didn't need to be great to be significantly better than just about everything else.

Ibrox seemed to be the best in the UK around that time, after they redeveloped their ground following the disaster there.

CMurdoch
11-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Yes, it's really bad, and, being next to the North Sea, is absolutely freezing cold all year round. Fair play to the sheep fans, they endure the worst weather conditions in the country.

The view at Parkhead is also atrocious, but the conditions much more comfortable.

The freezing cold at Pittodrie is probably the only good reason for building the new ground on the outskirts of the city

Keith_M
11-11-2018, 01:49 PM
I’d say so tbh. The wing closest to the stand is a total blind spot.

Parkhead is slight better, and not crumbling.

Incidentally - I had the worst steak pie in my puff going to the football at Pittodrie last night. Disgusting.

Fair enough

:aok:

PatHead
11-11-2018, 09:20 PM

I saw the great Beckenbauer being run ragged by Ferguson's Dons. I saw George Best pass a ball from one corner flag 40 yards to a Hibs player too.

Great atmosphere then.

Thought Clydebank was the first all seater stadium?

Ringothedog
12-11-2018, 01:44 PM
I was in Row L right next to the fence and apart from the fence I think the view is ok.

We were meant to be row E next to the fence but our seats were sectioned off and was told to sit anywhere as seats were unallocated😡

Keith_M
12-11-2018, 02:11 PM

The Main stand at Pittodrie has a road running parallel with the back of it, only a few feet away. They couldn't build a new stand on that side with a capacity any larger than the current one (3.5k, I think) because of the lack of space behind.

The Merkland and South Stands have similar issues, being right up against a road and an office block behind the south.

Funnily enough, the only side that does have lots of space behind it is the Dick Donald stand.

Hermit Crab
12-11-2018, 02:30 PM
We were meant to be row E next to the fence but our seats were sectioned off and was told to sit anywhere as seats were unallocated😡

The caused major issues, it was not unallocated seating, the stewards made a complete james hunt of it.

Panda
12-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Hi, Aberdeen fan here. I'll try answer your questions.

Footprint. If Aberdeen built in the same footprint, the pitch would not be Uefa compliant. Hearts will likely get dispensation because they had built three of their stands before the regulations were in place - same with Liverpool. However if Aberdeen were building three new stands now we would need to adhere to pitch regulations, meaning a smaller capacity of the stands - the club estimate the capacity would be 13,000.

The council have refused to let Aberdeen extend the footprint, which of course would solve that problem and let us stay at Pittodtie. They've done nothing for the club. Aberdeen would have been in a new stadium by now at Loirston, but the council - after giving planning permission - then took back part of the site which meant the stadium wasn't possible.

Any other sites in the city are too small and/or too expensive to buy the land (Old AECC site for example is £27m to buy the land). So the options are Kingsford (bought the land for £1.1m) which is at least in the city boundary, or Aberdeenshire and although one of those - Portlethen - might have been a more practical option since it's right next to a train station, it would mean Aberdeen not actually being in Aberdeen.

Smartie
12-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Hi, Aberdeen fan here. I'll try answer your questions.

Footprint. If Aberdeen built in the same footprint, the pitch would not be Uefa compliant. Hearts will likely get dispensation because they had built three of their stands before the regulations were in place - same with Liverpool. However if Aberdeen were building three new stands now we would need to adhere to pitch regulations, meaning a smaller capacity of the stands - the club estimate the capacity would be 13,000.

The council have refused to let Aberdeen extend the footprint, which of course would solve that problem and let us stay at Pittodtie. They've done nothing for the club. Aberdeen would have been in a new stadium by now at Loirston, but the council - after giving planning permission - then took back part of the site which meant the stadium wasn't possible.

Any other sites in the city are too small and/or too expensive to buy the land (Old AECC site for example is £27m to buy the land). So the options are Kingsford (bought the land for £1.1m) which is at least in the city boundary, or Aberdeenshire and although one of those - Portlethen - might have been a more practical option since it's right next to a train station, it would mean Aberdeen not actually being in Aberdeen.

Is there any reason why the council should be making life difficult for you? I thought that in 1 team cities (Swansea, Hull etc) they tended to be quite favourable to the club's attempts to progress?

We had similar council-related issues a while back, although we have to live with the simmering mistrust that goes alongside sharing a city with an establishment club.

Ringothedog
12-11-2018, 03:11 PM
The caused major issues, it was not unallocated seating, the stewards made a complete james hunt of it.

Totally agree, absolute shambles

Panda
12-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Is there any reason why the council should be making life difficult for you? I thought that in 1 team cities (Swansea, Hull etc) they tended to be quite favourable to the club's attempts to progress?

We had similar council-related issues a while back, although we have to live with the simmering mistrust that goes alongside sharing a city with an establishment club.

Lot of egos in the city. Lot of people don't like Stewart Milne and therefore take great joy in tripping him up.

Also, a lot of the councillors are, let's say, "characters".

One example, Claire Imrie has made headlines twice in recent years. Firstly for taking out "wolf whistle insurance", because she was worried builders would stop whistling at her if her looks deteriorated.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/uk/news/breaking-news/tory-councillor-takes-out-wolf-whistle-insurance-94451.aspx

Then, earlier this year she applied for a baby box in order to give it away as some sort of stunt. So that's the sort of people being asked to make important decisions. (She actually voted in favour of Kingsford as it goes).

Even worse, Alex McLellan is another councillor (who also voted in favour). His crime, well, he supports Hibs! 🤪 maybe he posts on here and could give a better explanation as to why the council have done so little to help the club.

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 03:35 PM

Away end in Perth and over the road at Tanadice with the wooden seats are much worse than Dundee. Dundee isn’t that bad in comparison.