hibbysam
09-11-2018, 11:40 PM
Where is he?

Lewis get a very rare injury and he isn’t even in the bench

Injured.

loanheadhibby
10-11-2018, 07:28 AM
Injured.

Worrying trend, player signs and does not play. Countless players like that over last 3 seasons. Big lith centre forward, Greek guy, Nelom, Feyass, Brian Graham, Simon Murray, Agyepong.

lyonhibs
10-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Worrying trend, player signs and does not play. Countless players like that over last 3 seasons. Big lith centre forward, Greek guy, Nelom, Feyass, Brian Graham, Simon Murray, Agyepong.

Brian Graham and Simon Murray both played a fair bit, weren't deemed what the club needed to progress and were moved on.

Agyepong, "Greek guy" and Nelom are a matter of weeks or months into their time with us so judgement is out on them as yet.

But anyway.....

loanheadhibby
10-11-2018, 07:53 AM
Brian Graham and Simon Murray both played a fair bit, weren't deemed what the club needed to progress and were moved on.

Agyepong, "Greek guy" and Nelom are a matter of weeks or months into their time with us so judgement is out on them as yet.

But anyway.....

I guess my point is the recruitment has been pretty poor. None of the signings have so far improved the 1st eleven. Every player we sign is never ready for action from the off.

A scout/manager at the club thought Graham/Murray could improve team, 6 months down the line they are not good enough and shipped out? Same person at club suggests a n other player. Do you trust their judgement?

hibee62
10-11-2018, 08:04 AM
I guess my point is the recruitment has been pretty poor. None of the signings have so far improved the 1st eleven. Every player we sign is never ready for action from the off.

A scout/manager at the club thought Graham/Murray could improve team, 6 months down the line they are not good enough and shipped out? Same person at club suggests a n other player. Do you trust their judgement?

I think you might be reading too much into a lot of these signings. Graham was signed as competition for Holt and did his job as we were promoted, then it was decided better was available and he was allowed to leave after a year.

Eardley/Rherras/Eckersley/etc were signed as cover where we had only 1 full back for left and 1 full back for right. They never played because there was no need and they left shortly after, I imagine at very little relative cost to us. We don’t know yet if this is where Nelom and Mavrias fit because neither are fully fit. In the case of Mavrias, he’s on a 3 month contract so again, relatively little cost to us.

Agyepong was signed as Barker’s replacement and was playing as regularly as he did before injury.

All of the above are reasonable signings to make in the circumstances.

calumhibee1
10-11-2018, 08:27 AM

There will always be some players who are signed as total backup like Brian Graham which is fine. Every squad has them. My worry is that we have guys having to start every week who should be falling into that category. The summer transfer window is beginning to look pretty pish other than Flo and Mallan (although other than his goals he’s not offered enough either which isn’t good enough for a CM).

Scotty Leither
10-11-2018, 08:59 AM
I think you might be reading too much into a lot of these signings. Graham was signed as competition for Holt and did his job as we were promoted, then it was decided better was available and he was allowed to leave after a year.

Eardley/Rherras/Eckersley/etc were signed as cover where we had only 1 full back for left and 1 full back for right. They never played because there was no need and they left shortly after, I imagine at very little relative cost to us. We don’t know yet if this is where Nelom and Mavrias fit because neither are fully fit. In the case of Mavrias, he’s on a 3 month contract so again, relatively little cost to us.

Agyepong was signed as Barker’s replacement and was playing as regularly as he did before injury.

All of the above are reasonable signings to make in the circumstances.

Why are we signing unfit players then? Does our recruitment team not check their fitness records? All of this costs money, a subject close to our Board's heart.

I bet if you did an audit on how much these signings have cost in wages and agent's fees it would add up to a tidy sum, maybe even enough to sign a decent, fit, ready made replacement and not ones that no-one will ever remember their (non) contribution.

hibee62
10-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Why are we signing unfit players then? Does our recruitment team not check their fitness records? All of this costs money, a subject close to our Board's heart.

I bet if you did an audit on how much these signings have cost in wages and agent's fees it would add up to a tidy sum, maybe even enough to sign a decent, fit, ready made replacement and not ones that no-one will ever remember their (non) contribution.

Nelom was fit when he signed but got injured, same with Agyepong. Eckersley was definitely signed short term because we needed back up and he was waiting for a contract in America so I doubt we paid him much, it was a helpful situation for both.

On your last point, are you suggesting we don’t sign any back up players for 5 years so we can sign one striker when we are short now? I also doubt there’s no money for a striker, but rather Lennon hasn’t seen anyone worth signing. Agents would likely inflate wage demands for a team in our situation too.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2018, 09:09 AM
What's happened to the young lad Mackie? Is he injured?

I understand we need cover for LB because without Lewis we have no one but it would be good if we could promote from within. As an example we signed Rherras last season only because Andrew Blake was injured, had he been fit Rherras would not have come in. Is it a similar situation with this signing and that of Mavrias?

hibee62
10-11-2018, 09:10 AM
What's happened to the young lad Mackie? Is he injured?

I understand we need cover for LB because without Lewis we have no one but it would be good if we could promote from within. As an example we signed Rherras last season only because Andrew Blake was injured, had he been fit Rherras would not have come in. Is it a similar situation with this signing and that of Mavrias?

Mackie played last night...

Pretty Boy
10-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Mackie played last night...

That answers that then. I've literally seen nothing beyond the result from last night so had no idea.

hibee62
10-11-2018, 09:22 AM
That answers that then. I've literally seen nothing beyond the result from last night so had no idea.

He was added to the bench when Bartley got injured in the warm up and then came on when Stevenson got injured. Don’t know where he lies in the pecking order when all fit though.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Between nelom and Mavrius there is some strange recruitment going on. Mavrius appears to be fit and David Gray is injured but it seems we will play anyone there except him. How bad is he? Has he been dreadful in reserve games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
10-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Between nelom and Mavrius there is some strange recruitment going on. Mavrius appears to be fit and David Gray is injured but it seems we will play anyone there except him. How bad is he? Has he been dreadful in reserve games?

Played midweek and set up a goal, IIRC

Smartie
10-11-2018, 10:01 AM

He only got a quick run out but looked quite good.

hibsdaft
10-11-2018, 10:23 AM
I'd prefer we ran out young players than sign these random loan players personally. Too many young players who we seem to rate but are never giving a chance.

IGRIGI
10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Good to know the HSL donations are going to good use... :greengrin

Ozyhibby
10-11-2018, 12:06 PM
I'd prefer we ran out young players than sign these random loan players personally. Too many young players who we seem to rate but are never giving a chance.

The best of the young players are getting a chance.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Hopefully this thread Isnt turning into a “Car crash”

recruitment is not an exact science
players get injured - esp if we play full commitment in training
recruitment in recent years has uncovered some gems.

We have had a couple of flat games after the Derby. Why the need to explore every angle to say how crap it all is?

neil7908
10-11-2018, 03:12 PM
A lot of the other signings mentioned here (Eardley, Graham etc) were clearly brought in as cover and I'd imagine will have been on pretty low wages.

Nelom and Marvais have both played at a much higher level than us and will presumably not be coming to Hibs to earn pennies. I was genuinely quite excited when we signed these two but we they aren't getting a look in.

hibee62
10-11-2018, 03:22 PM
A lot of the other signings mentioned here (Eardley, Graham etc) were clearly brought in as cover and I'd imagine will have been on pretty low wages.

Nelom and Marvais have both played at a much higher level than us and will presumably not be coming to Hibs to earn pennies. I was genuinely quite excited when we signed these two but we they aren't getting a look in.

Nelom has been injured since his only appearance for us, otherwise he’d have been at least on the bench and would have played when Stevenson got injured last night.

Mavrias is only signed until January, if he isn’t playing regularly by then he won’t want to be here and we won’t extend his deal. I really don’t think he’s going to cost us much and certainly won’t affect the budget available to strengthen in January.

Speedway
10-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Or perhaps our training is injuring them as Stubbs was once accused of.

Badge
10-11-2018, 07:43 PM
The best of the young players are getting a chance.

What about Fraser Murray. Signed a new long term deal which suggests he must be one of the better youngsters but not getting a chance

SteveHFC
11-11-2018, 12:13 AM
Would start him against Dundee in 2 weeks. Give Stevenson a rest.

Smartie
11-11-2018, 12:25 AM
Would start him against Dundee in 2 weeks. Give Stevenson a rest.

What is Stevenson up to over the next few weeks that is going to leave him needing a rest?