PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren is actually not very good

Pages : [1] 2

Liam6270
09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Having watched the game tonight I still can’t understand all the hype surrounding Maclaren, I would’ve happily kept Murray instead.

Dr_Regal
09-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Absolutely shocking again.

hibee_girl
MacLaren is just coming back from an injury, let’s give him a chance.

Callum_62
Sldve had a pen tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cod Boy
09-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Boy Allan done more when he came on.

beensaidbefore
He was p poor tonight. I was ecmxcited when I saw him and kamberi starting hut he never got on the ball once that I can remember. Kamberi should have squared to him, but even then it wasn't a tap in, as I remember it. Disappointing tonight.

Beefster
Having watched the game tonight I still can’t understand all the hype surrounding Maclaren, I would’ve happily kept Murray instead.

This place is ****ing mental and only getting worse.

Did you watch the Rangers game at the end of last season? Did you post the same after that game or did you get it then?

Liam6270
09-11-2018, 09:49 PM

It’s not just based on this season, I never thought he was very good last season either

scuttle
09-11-2018, 09:50 PM

100% this he is so slow, not good enough

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 09:51 PM
Never understood what people see in him. He’s truelly awful.

He can sniff out the out tap in but other than that, he’s a man short. I wonder if we can send him back early.

Liam6270
09-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Never understood what people see in him. He’s truelly awful.

He can sniff out the out tap in but other than that, he’s a man short. I wonder if we can send him back early.

Couldn’t agree more

Scottie
09-11-2018, 09:54 PM
This place is ****ing mental and only getting worse.

Did you watch the Rangers game at the end of last season? Did you post the same after that game or did you get it then?
:agree: some of the posts are beyond embarrassment. Better logging back in in the morning me thinks.

Liam6270
09-11-2018, 09:55 PM
:agree: some of the posts are beyond embarrassment. Better logging back in in the morning me thinks.

What does he offer?

lord bunberry
09-11-2018, 09:59 PM
Maclaren is the type of player who if he isn’t scoring doesn’t make a huge contribution to the game. He’s not really got going yet this season due to injury, but there’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll make a big contribution this season. Saying he is an awful player is just wrong.

Speedway
09-11-2018, 10:00 PM
🤐

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2018, 10:03 PM
Maclaren is the type of player who if he isn’t scoring doesn’t make a huge contribution to the game. He’s not really got going yet this season due to injury, but there’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll make a big contribution this season. Saying he is an awful player is just wrong.

You could have said the same regarding Flo, a few games together and they'll get going.

lord bunberry
09-11-2018, 10:07 PM
You could have said the same regarding Flo, a few games together and they'll get going.
I think Flo puts himself about more and is more likely to be more involved in the build up. I agree though that after a few games together they’ll click again.

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:07 PM
��

You’ve always been spot on about him tbf.

Hopeless first touch, has the strength of a 5 year old girl and is as slow as a week in the jail. Never a footballer.

There is absolutely no danger whatsoever he will be here next season.

Scottie
09-11-2018, 10:08 PM
What does he offer?
As we speak he's offering Martin Boyle singing lessons on the bus on 'Advance Australia Fair' thats gotta count for something :cb

bodhibs
09-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Tin hat but gash 🙄

alihibs1
[emoji23] quite hard for a poacher to do his job when he gets quite literally no service. Never got to the byline once.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Liam89

There'll be some sore knees with the amount of jerking on this forum tonight. Best to avoid here after a poor result.

Glory Lurker
09-11-2018, 10:10 PM
He is a total fox in the box, but that needs the ball in to feet. Supply from our midfield is non-existent. Jamie isn't the problem.

One Day Soon
09-11-2018, 10:12 PM
There'll be some sore knees with the amount of jerking on this forum tonight. Best to avoid here after a poor result.

Aye, some Jambo mammies will definitely be washing messy sheets tomorrow.

Baader
09-11-2018, 10:13 PM
Just back from injury. He gets goals. Give the lad a chance.

Gmack7
09-11-2018, 10:16 PM
slivka and mallan offered nowt in support roles.its a bit harsh to crucify McLaren

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:16 PM

I get that he can sniff out a tap in but other than that I think the description of him as an awful footballer is bang on. His touch is rotten, he’s slow and doesn’t appear to get involved in anything outside the box whatsoever.

There used to be loads of players like him in the 80’s like Mick Quinn, Tommy Tynan, Bernie Slaven. Absolutely rank rotten at the rest of the game but could scuff in a goal.

They died out because a 1 in 2 striker meant every second game was played with 10 men.

bigwheel
09-11-2018, 10:18 PM

I think he has started 2 games since injury. Maybe three starts in total this season ? Come on. Give the guy a chance.

alihibs1
09-11-2018, 10:18 PM
He is a total fox in the box, but that needs the ball in to feet. Supply from our midfield is non-existent. Jamie isn't the problem.Spot on. Pumping long balls to him isn't his or our style.

ancient hibee
09-11-2018, 10:22 PM
About to log off.Can’t be bothered reading posts from the hard of thinking,many of whom seem to have very few posts over many years.

cleanyman
09-11-2018, 10:23 PM
He is the least of our worries

lyonhibs
09-11-2018, 10:28 PM
Slavers from the OP but a windy away game at Aberdeen was utterly unsuited to him. We were playing moonball all night, wide players had a stinker and never got going with any slick passing moves.

He can be one of these players that seems to hardly be involved then pop up with a goal or 2 just by the pure and priceless knack of being in the right place at the right time. Needs to get his sharpness back though, and pronto.

pacoluna
09-11-2018, 10:44 PM
What does he offer?

1 goal every two games going by last season.

The goals will come.

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:47 PM
[emoji23] quite hard for a poacher to do his job when he gets quite literally no service. Never got to the byline once.

That’s why players that just ‘poach’ don’t really exist anymore.

The game requires far more fitness and athleticism these days to carry a man just hanging about waiting on a chance.

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:48 PM
1 goal every two games going by last season.

The goals will come.

Which also translates as a man short every other game.

pacoluna
09-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Which also translates as a man short every other game.

😂😂😂😂 Ok mate.

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Slavers from the OP but a windy away game at Aberdeen was utterly unsuited to him. We were playing moonball all night, wide players had a stinker and never got going with any slick passing moves.

He can be one of these players that seems to hardly be involved then pop up with a goal or 2 just by the pure and priceless knack of being in the right place at the right time. Needs to get his sharpness back though, and pronto.

Tbf to the original poster it wasn’t his worst performance in Aberdeen this year. On a warm still April day he was even worse.

He amassed a massive 8 touches which included a kick off and a missed pen.

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:53 PM
😂😂😂😂 Ok mate.

No problem pal. Glad to help you understand the obvious👍

Liam6270
09-11-2018, 10:54 PM
About to log off.Can’t be bothered reading posts from the hard of thinking,many of whom seem to have very few posts over many years.

So if you don’t constantly post on here time and time again you’re opinion is ridiculed? Jog on

SRHibs
09-11-2018, 10:55 PM
He can be alright but Cummings is miles better.

ekhibee
09-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Its troll night on hibs.net.

Fergos
09-11-2018, 10:56 PM
slivka and mallan offered nowt in support roles.its a bit harsh to crucify McLaren

Agree. Our issues start in ththe middle of the park, we are almost devoid of any creativity if Boyler doesn't show up.

GGTTH

Winston Ingram
09-11-2018, 10:57 PM
He can be alright but Cummings is miles better.

Cummings had lots of flaws in his game but is far better. He had a bit of pace, could beat a man, got involved in the build up play, could take a set piece and was a threat from outside the box not just in it.

Cummings could also score goals away from home. So far the only away goal MacLaren has for us was that pen the keeper should’ve saved at Ibrox.

SRHibs
09-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Its troll night on hibs.net.

Gotta pay the troll toll if you want to get into the Dons’ goal!

SquashedFrogg
09-11-2018, 11:33 PM
Gotta pay the troll toll if you want to get into the Dons’ goal!

Are you honestly still here? I really hope I meet you at ER one day to discuss our team. Thread set up by a troll and then you appear. Honestly lost as to why you feel the need to post. Strange stuff.

SRHibs
09-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Are you honestly still here? I really hope I meet you at ER one day to discuss our team. Thread set up by a troll and then you appear. Honestly lost as to why you feel the need to post. Strange stuff.

What exactly would you like to discuss? And I was just referencing a TV show, relax.

The Modfather
09-11-2018, 11:40 PM
What exactly would you like to discuss? And I was just referencing a TV show, relax.

SRHibs cometh

Zazu62
09-11-2018, 11:40 PM
Lewis Allan done more when he came on

darwenhibby
09-11-2018, 11:44 PM
Lewis Allan And Mackie were encouraging when they came on
Next games Dundee killie And St Mirren should get the flo And Jamie partnership going again
I still think there is potential in flo and oli Shaw

JohnM1875
09-11-2018, 11:47 PM

That's bull****. There was service tonight. Just look at the two glorious chances Flo missed. Just because he wasn't in the right place doesn't mean chances aren't getting created. MacLaren was brutal tonight. He wasn't alone in that trait though.

scotia44
09-11-2018, 11:52 PM
Very similar to Eoin Doyle great box player but you need the service consistently both for chances and loose defending they pounce no good at anything else

One Day Soon
09-11-2018, 11:55 PM
So if you don’t constantly post on here time and time again you’re opinion is ridiculed? Jog on

I think it was the hard of thinking he was principally objecting to.

matty_f
10-11-2018, 12:00 AM
I think he has started 2 games since injury. Maybe three starts in total this season ? Come on. Give the guy a chance.

:agree:

Liam6270
10-11-2018, 01:17 AM

Set up by a troll? Not another Hibs.net security guard 😴😴

MWHIBBIES
10-11-2018, 01:28 AM
Very similar to Eoin Doyle great box player but you need the service consistently both for chances and loose defending they pounce no good at anything elseThat doesn't sound anything like Eoin Doyle. He was often involved in build up and creating his own chances.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2018, 01:37 AM
This place is actual the definition of mental.

"Hibs.net" should actually be used in the Oxford dictionary to describe the meaning of the word.

Think i'll log back on around Wednesday.

EH54
10-11-2018, 02:40 AM
Maclaren spends 90mins 'looking for space' he runs around on the shoulder..but if we aren't giving him service he is worse than a man short..he looks so weak it's unreal. Link up play is absoloutely horrific. Even last season this World Cup chat. He's a selfish striker imo..kamberi is the main man, he does all his work really..

BS44
10-11-2018, 03:08 AM
Maclaren spends 90mins 'looking for space' he runs around on the shoulder..but if we aren't giving him service he is worse than a man short..he looks so weak it's unreal. Link up play is absoloutely horrific. Even last season this World Cup chat. He's a selfish striker imo..kamberi is the main man, he does all his work really..

Tonight after Kamberi went past their keeper he chose to shoot from a ***** angle rather than square it to McLaren

Steve-O
10-11-2018, 06:10 AM
Maclaren is a poacher, end of story. We created the square root of zero. He would’ve had an equaliser had Flo not blazed over instead of taking a touch and squaring the ball.

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Very similar to Eoin Doyle great box player but you need the service consistently both for chances and loose defending they pounce no good at anything else

He’s nothing like Eoin Doyle. Eoin Doyle was a good player. Could hold the ball up, link the play, was good in the air had 2 good feet and did a power of good work to allow Griffiths to play.

He’s the complete opposite of Eoin Doyle.

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 06:26 AM
This place is actual the definition of mental.

"Hibs.net" should actually be used in the Oxford dictionary to describe the meaning of the word.

Think i'll log back on around Wednesday.

If by mental, you mean people come on, put a lot of logical responses, others then can’t provide a reasonable answer so call them names, aye probably.

Brooster
10-11-2018, 07:34 AM
I think his hatrick against rangers clouded our judgement a bit. I don't think he is that great and I'm relieved we didn't pay £400k for him. I would gladly see him and a few others move on in January.

we are hibs
10-11-2018, 07:45 AM
I think his hatrick against rangers clouded our judgement a bit. I don't think he is that great and I'm relieved we didn't pay £400k for him. I would gladly see him and a few others move on in January.

He's started 3 games this season and is just back from an injury and you want him moved on :hilarious

CLASS OF 72 -73
10-11-2018, 08:04 AM
Always thought he was a bit lightweight and little pace. He has proved he is little more than a poacher and if supplied not a bad one. I agree though Murray was a better all round player and surprised he went.

Jones28
10-11-2018, 08:07 AM
Nothing like a defeat to bring out the roasters. Breathe and think before posting eh?

Beefster
10-11-2018, 08:13 AM
I love how absolutely no-one was saying that we should have kept Simon Murray until MacLaren had a crap game. It’s like how, during bad spells, the player on the bench/injury list/Celtic stand is always the answer to all our problems.

Simon Murray is just a reasonably mediocre striker who runs about a lot and scores most of his goals against part-time defences.

ekhibee
10-11-2018, 09:07 AM
If by mental, you mean people come on, put a lot of logical responses, others then can’t provide a reasonable answer so call them names, aye probably.
You're not making sense, a response IS an answer. Are you moaning about people answering your answer?

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 09:10 AM
He's started 3 games this season and is just back from an injury and you want him moved on :hilarious

Hardly. Maybe we can actually remember how bad he was last season?

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 09:11 AM
You're not making sense, a response IS an answer. Are you moaning about people answering your answer?

I’m well aware that response is an answer, which why I said it. Only one person not making sense here pal and it’s not me.

ekhibee
10-11-2018, 09:33 AM
He’s nothing like Eoin Doyle. Eoin Doyle was a good player. Could hold the ball up, link the play, was good in the air had 2 good feet and did a power of good work to allow Griffiths to play.

He’s the complete opposite of Eoin Doyle.
He is the exact opposite of Eoin Doyle because he scores goals, Doyle didn't. Doyle took over 4 months to score a league goal for us, it was against Dunfermline, I'm sure quite near the end of the season. IMO Doyle wasn't bad, but he was nothing special at all apart from 1 or 2 touches here and there in cup games. I don't know where you got the idea he had 2 good feet, he hardly scored any goals for us. I can remember the hype when he signed for Hibs because of his previous good season in Ireland. Decent player right enough, scored 1 or 2 important cup goals (I'm sure 1 of them was against Falkirk) but not nearly as prolific as you seem to be making out when badmouthing McLaren.

BoomtownHibees
10-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Hardly. Maybe we can actually remember how bad he was last season?

8 goals in 15 games last season. That bad?

Brooster
10-11-2018, 09:49 AM

Sorry I didn't realise you were allowed to play crap if you've been injured.

Squirrel 1875
10-11-2018, 09:50 AM
He’s a more expensive and less effective Simon Murray. Sincerely hope we can send him back in January with minimal fuss. He’s taking up funds which could be available to sign a more effective striker.

cleanyman
10-11-2018, 09:51 AM
I still think he's worth 15 goals a season

We need to get the ball into the box though

SChibs
10-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Cummings had lots of flaws in his game but is far better. He had a bit of pace, could beat a man, got involved in the build up play, could take a set piece and was a threat from outside the box not just in it.

Cummings could also score goals away from home. So far the only away goal MacLaren has for us was that pen the keeper should’ve saved at Ibrox.

He couldn't beat a man very well imo. And that was against championship defenders so there's nothing to say he would get past the premiership defenders. What did he do on loan for the huns last season?

Don't get me wrong he did well for hibs and scores important goals but I don't think he was as good as some people thought he was

Smartie
10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
McLaren is an excellent player.

He was pish last night.

He can take a chance when it comes his way, he's certainly not slow, and his movement creates space for other players.

There will be nights like last night when things don't go for him.

He has had a stop start season due to injury to himself and his favoured strike partner.

I do think we need more in the final third to supplement what we've already got but I wouldn't be in a hurry to chase McLaren out the door.

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 10:27 AM
He couldn't beat a man very well imo. And that was against championship defenders so there's nothing to say he would get past the premiership defenders. What did he do on loan for the huns last season?

Don't get me wrong he did well for hibs and scores important goals but I don't think he was as good as some people thought he was

He did very well against premier league defenders in the numerous cup runs we had in his time.

Tbh I don’t think he is that great either. Just miles better than MacLaren

matty_f
10-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Think this thread would be more accurately named "Maclaren isn't match fit yet".

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 10:34 AM
8 goals in 15 games last season. That bad?

As i’ve said numerous times he’s a good poacher.

Those 15 games including the 9 games he didn’t score in, he demonstrated he didn’t really have anything else to his game, therefore i’m merely highlighting that it’s not just the 3 games they’re basing their opinion on👍🏻

Ryan69
10-11-2018, 10:36 AM

Hes been coming back from injury for month hasnt he??

One Day Soon
10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Think this thread would be more accurately named "Maclaren isn't match fit yet".

Or “Some posters are not actually very good”.

One Day Soon
10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Hes been coming back from injury for month hasnt he??

How much game time has he had to get match fit? How much game time paired with Kamberi? How many games that weren’t kickathons or where there was little to no service to him?

Ryan69
10-11-2018, 10:43 AM
How much game time has he had to get match fit? How much game time paired with Kamberi? How many games that weren’t kickathons or where there was little to no service to him?

If its going to take months into a loan deal to get fit...what is the point?

Before he is fit...half the season will be gone.

Franck Stanton
10-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Hopeless first touch, has the strength of a 5 year old girl and is as slow as a week in the jail. Never a footballer.

Especially with the asking price of £400k never worth that in a month of Sundays

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2018, 10:52 AM
The old “all he does is score” complaint. I’d rather have him than Stevie May for example who runs about a lot quite slowly and doesn’t score. Kamberi squares the ball, Maclaren puts it in and it’s a different story. The only pass marks last night were Milligan and Ambrose. As for Slivka, he’s had enough chances. Not good enough.

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 10:52 AM
He is the exact opposite of Eoin Doyle because he scores goals, Doyle didn't. Doyle took over 4 months to score a league goal for us, it was against Dunfermline, I'm sure quite near the end of the season. IMO Doyle wasn't bad, but he was nothing special at all apart from 1 or 2 touches here and there in cup games. I don't know where you got the idea he had 2 good feet, he hardly scored any goals for us. I can remember the hype when he signed for Hibs because of his previous good season in Ireland. Decent player right enough, scored 1 or 2 important cup goals (I'm sure 1 of them was against Falkirk) but not nearly as prolific as you seem to be making out when badmouthing McLaren.

Eoin Doyle scored 11 goals for us in 34 games. He only started 19 of those.

Winston Ingram
10-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Especially with the asking price of £400k never worth that in a month of Sundays

There’s no way he’ll be here next season.

One Day Soon
10-11-2018, 10:57 AM
If its going to take months into a loan deal to get fit...what is the point?

Before he is fit...half the season will be gone.

So, never buy or loan a player unless he’s fully match fit? We’d never have seen Scott Allan in a Hibs strip.

hibsdaft
10-11-2018, 11:18 AM
McLaren is a Lineker/ McCoist type poacher-goalscorer. He offers little else, but when he's scoring it is absolutely priceless. These players always go through purple patches, like he went through last season when he kept popping up with critical, game-winning goals against our biggest opponents. These players also go through cold spells where they aren't scoring, and offer little else by way of compensation. These spells are never indefinite, and McLaren will be back scoring goals again soon enough. When he does, this criticism will all be forgotten, and we'll also all go back to ignoring his limited contribution beyond scoring goals.

Ryan69
10-11-2018, 11:28 AM
So, never buy or loan a player unless he’s fully match fit? We’d never have seen Scott Allan in a Hibs strip.

Or get someone who would be matchfit.

Its more than likely cost alot of points.

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Stevie Mallan does nothing apart from score, yet he's the next ronaldo here whenever he does. Hyndman has been seen less than Brian Kerr, Slivka cant find a position and Horgan is a headless chicken.

Our forwards need supply, and our midfield are hot and cold, which leaves whoever plays up top feeding off scraps.

McLaren has hardly played, cant be match fit, but another defeat another scapegoat is needed.

I'd say our midfield are more of a problem than anything we lack up front.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Stevie Mallan does nothing apart from score, yet he's the next ronaldo here whenever he does. Hyndman has been seen less than Brian Kerr, Slivka cant find a position and Horgan is a headless chicken.

Our forwards need supply, and our midfield are hot and cold, which leaves whoever plays up top feeding off scraps.

McLaren has hardly played, cant be match fit, but another defeat another scapegoat is needed.

Agreed.

Our forwards have proven they can score goals with the right service last season. The midfield is the glaring issue.

ekhibee
10-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Eoin Doyle scored 11 goals for us in 34 games. He only started 19 of those.

And as I said it took over 4 months for him to score a league goal. But you're quite happy to criticise a player who's just recently come back from injury and has a better scoring record than Doyle did? I'm sure it makes sense to you, maybe not others.

SMAXXA
10-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Said the same about him last season I don’t get the hype, he’s a goal scorer though can’t take that away from him but all round game I don’t think is that good. If he’s not scoring then he looks bad when he scores it probably hides some of his deficiencies.

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 01:04 PM
He would have scored last night had Flo’ looked up 👍

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Said the same about him last season I don’t get the hype, he’s a goal scorer though can’t take that away from him but all round game I don’t think is that good. If he’s not scoring then he looks bad when he scores it probably hides some of his deficiencies.

I don’t see much hype as such but he’s certainly a good player for a team that actually creates chances.

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Agreed.

Our forwards have proven they can score goals with the right service last season. The midfield is the glaring issue.

I totally agree with Blackpool and your good self. We lack a worrying amount of composure all over the pitch.

lord bunberry
10-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Agreed.

It’s unbelievably glaring imo. We’ve got two players in Slivka and Hyndman that are lightweight and inconsistent at best and just not good enough at worst. How anyone can blame our strikers for our current plight is beyond me. If Scott Allan and another decent midfielder come in in January then those two won’t be playing (Hyndman might not even be here). Mallan doesn’t do enough at times, but at least he’s made a contribution to our season in a few games.

superfurryhibby
10-11-2018, 01:26 PM

Totally endorse this.

I’ll settle for a striker with Maclaren’s goalscoring ability anytime. The difference last season was that he played in front of a very good midfield trio and wide men who also created chances for him.

Mac laren is not the problem.

Mallan, Milligan and Horgan/ Slivka/Hyndman don’t really cut it by comparison to what we had second half of the previous season.

We also suffer from Hanlon’s absence, Mc Gregor’s injury/ ageing. That defence was pretty solid for much of the period in question.

I still think this team will improve, there is enough talent there. Hopefully we are less unlucky with injury and our manager finds a winning formula. Much as I like Lennon, he hasn’t covered himself in glory with tactics and selections.

MrRobot
10-11-2018, 01:36 PM
All round I don’t think he seems to be a great footballer but give him service and he will score.

What he needs is somebody with that vision to play him through and a good run of games with Kamberi.

Smartie
10-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Totally endorse this.

I’ll settle for a striker with Maclaren’s goalscoring ability anytime. The difference last season was that he played in front of a very good midfield trio and wide men who also created chances for him.

Mac laren is not the problem.

Mallan, Milligan and Horgan/ Slivka/Hyndman don’t really cut it by comparison to what we had second half of the previous season.

We also suffer from Hanlon’s absence, Mc Gregor’s injury/ ageing. That defence was pretty solid for much of the period in question.

I still think this team will improve, there is enough talent there. Hopefully we are less unlucky with injury and our manager finds a winning formula. Much as I like Lennon, he hasn’t covered himself in glory with tactics and selections.

The defence kept a shut out at Tynecastle and only lost one goal in each of the games against Aberdeen and St Johnstone. That wouldn't suggest to me that we have too many defensive problems.

The strikers showed us last season what they can do (although if Flo keeps his composure we've won that game last night).

The midfield isn't quite right. It's not pish, it's not far off being ok but it's not quite working. A bit of energy in the middle of the park and Scott Allan and our team is decent.

Onion
10-11-2018, 01:46 PM
McLaren is fine in the right set up with right support. He’s a box pkayer who can score goals no other Hibs player can. Hibs are low in confidence and have a poor midfield. Once we get Milligan back in DM and Allan back we’ll be fine, but last nights midfield performance was awful and the root of all our current problems. Let’s not throw the babies out with the bath water (never thought I’d say that on .net).

superfurryhibby
10-11-2018, 01:54 PM
The defence kept a shut out at Tynecastle and only lost one goal in each of the games against Aberdeen and St Johnstone. That wouldn't suggest to me that we have too many defensive problems.

The strikers showed us last season what they can do (although if Flo keeps his composure we've won that game last night).

The midfield isn't quite right. It's not pish, it's not far off being ok but it's not quite working. A bit of energy in the middle of the park and Scott Allan and our team is decent.

True, but I would add that Hanlon also contributes a lot with the way he takes the ball forward and his distribution to the wide players is usually top class too.

Have to say that Milligan doesn’t fill me with confidence as a defender. He lacks pace and doesn’t command in the air.

After the Hamilton game I was full of hope. Injuries haven’t helped matters, but it does seem clear that we lack a winning blend in midfield,

Horgan- very mixed so far. What is his best position? Preston fans forum suggested he flattered to decieve and whilst he has had some good games (Aberdeen league game) he has also been indifferent to poor too often.

Mallan- wonderful striker of the ball, contributes a goal threat that is very different, yet often seems lightweight and at times ineffectual.

Hyndman- clever enough on the ball. Lacks heft and isn’t assertive enough, often enough.

Milligan- sits deep, seems to be adept at breaking up play, doesn’t have the quick feet of McGeouch and doesn’t seem to be able to bring others into the game in the same way.

Midfield is the heart of any team and our is erratic and definitely struggles by comparison to what we had Jan-May last season.

ancient hibee
10-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Midfield is a problem but last night a great pass from Milligan should have lead to a goal but Kamberi having done the difficult thing lost his composure and Slivka played the perfect ball behind the defence which was luckily deflected although Kamberi should have again done better.Take these two chances and we would have won.

ahibby
10-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Midfield is a problem but last night a great pass from Milligan should have lead to a goal but Kamberi having done the difficult thing lost his composure and Slivka played the perfect ball behind the defence which was luckily deflected although Kamberi should have again done better.Take these two chances and we would have won.

You are probably right about all of that. Back to MacLaren though and everyone knew that he is probably the least talented footballer in the fist fifteen but he does give it all and he's probably the best box scorer we have. He isn't there to impress, apart from goals, that's the midfielders jobs. He's just there to provide a finish. I'm actually concerned if he gets the ball in an attacking midfield position because he isn't all that.

J-C
10-11-2018, 03:16 PM

:agree::top marks

The Green Goblin
10-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Brutal thread.

Borderhibbie76
10-11-2018, 03:41 PM

I'd say our midfield are more of a problem than anything we lack up front.Bang on

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
10-11-2018, 04:20 PM
🤐

:top marks

Bishop Hibee
10-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Spot on. Mallan gives us goals which neither McGinn or McGeoch did enough of but he needs a stronger dynamic midfielder alongside him. He’s not the sort of player to dominate midfield. You’re right about Slivka, Horgan and Hyndman. Thankfully we can ship the latter back to Bournemouth and bring in a more effective midfielder.

noz
10-11-2018, 05:44 PM
McLaren is fine in the right set up with right support. He’s a box pkayer who can score goals no other Hibs player can. Hibs are low in confidence and have a poor midfield. Once we get Milligan back in DM and Allan back we’ll be fine, but last nights midfield performance was awful and the root of all our current problems. Let’s not throw the babies out with the bath water (never thought I’d say that on .net).
Youre the second poster to say, ‘once we get Milligan back in DM’, - he WAS playing there last night, Ambrose,Porteous,McGregor behind him?

we are hibs
10-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Sorry I didn't realise you were allowed to play crap if you've been injured.

Sorry I didn't realise you had to play well every single time your picked regardless of mitigating circumstances. That's only the second time kamberi and maclaren have played upfront together this season and they both clearly play better when they're played as a pair. It will take time for them to get going. Doesn't help when Boyle has been poor this season either

The Spaceman
10-11-2018, 06:16 PM
The man has been injured most of the season. That was the first game we have had the Kamberi-Maclaren partnership back this season, which proved devastating 2nd half of last season.

I hate Hibs.net bedwetters. Pathetic.

Hermit Crab
10-11-2018, 06:20 PM

I agree :agree:. Gash, again. Striker in January please.

BILLYHIBS
10-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Jamie Mac is worth his weight in gold.
I have watched him in the A League and last season he is a brilliant penalty box striker and we are lucky to have him.
He was causing the Aberdeen defence problems all night with his off the ball runs constantly getting pulled back by the shirt he was standing in acres of space for a tap in when Flo selfishly ballooned over from an impossible angle
He relies on good service and unfortunately he is not getting it just now.
When was the last person to score a hatrick versus Der Hun ?
OK Ivan Sproule
People on here should get behind the team and have a serious word with themselves.

JimBHibees
10-11-2018, 09:43 PM

Totallly agree really don't get the McLaren criticism at all. Absolutely bizarre.

B.H.F.C
10-11-2018, 09:56 PM
He was causing the Aberdeen defence problems all night

If that was him causing them problems then I wouldn’t like to see him have a quiet game! They just brushed him aside any time he went near them.

As much as I’m not his biggest fan, I do think we need to give him and Flo the next 3 or 4 games together to see if they can recapture last seasons form.

tonyrougier123
10-11-2018, 10:06 PM
If the midfields no right strikers arny gonny get service and our midfield isny a settled one the now,its a bit okey koky.needs fixing asap.and a couple decent signings for sure.I just had a gut feeling after hamilton we would have a dip like this.but macca is class.

B.H.F.C
10-11-2018, 10:09 PM
If the midfields no right strikers arny gonny get service and our midfield isny a settled one the now,its a bit okey koky.needs fixing asap.and a couple decent signings for sure.I just had a gut feeling after hamilton we would have a dip like this.but macca is class.

I think it works both ways. In the last few games the strikers haven’t held the ball up at all when it has come their way. So whilst the midfield need to be more creative, the strikers need to bring them in to the game better when they have a chance.

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 10:14 PM
I think it works both ways. In the last few games the strikers haven’t held the ball up at all when it has come their way. So whilst the midfield need to be more creative, the strikers need to bring them in to the game better when they have a chance.

Strikers need service and people to create chances for them. Right now are doing very little of that. Again look at his movement when Flo’ went greedy. He’s a fox in the box that is there at the right moment and time not Zlatan. His movement was decent on Friday but there’s not much more he can do to pull defenders out positions if the tactic is to punt to Kamberi ASAP. Again, he’s not a hold up target man it’s not his game. We knew his game when we brought him back. It’s the tactics and the bravery of our midfielders that is wrong not a penalty box striker.

B.H.F.C
10-11-2018, 10:32 PM
Strikers need service and people to create chances for them. Right now are doing very little of that. Again look at his movement when Flo’ went greedy. He’s a fox in the box that is there at the right moment and time not Zlatan. His movement was decent on Friday but there’s not much more he can do to pull defenders out positions if the tactic is to punt to Kamberi ASAP. Again, he’s not a hold up target man it’s not his game. We knew his game when we brought him back. It’s the tactics and the bravery of our midfielders that is wrong not a penalty box striker.

When you’re struggling a bit, as we are just now, you need everyone to be at it. You can’t carry a player because he might score if you get the ball to him in the right area. We need players to go and make something happen. And you could criticise most of them for not doing that last night.

The midfield obviously need to do more but I’m not having that he was making all these great runs and they just weren’t finding him.

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 10:39 PM
When you’re struggling a bit, as we are just now, you need everyone to be at it. You can’t carry a player because he might score if you get the ball to him in the right area. We need players to go and make something happen. And you could criticise most of them for not doing that last night.

The midfield obviously need to do more but I’m not having that he was making all these great runs and they just weren’t finding him.

That could be a like for like comment on Jason Cummings under Terry Butcher. We seen what happened when chances started being created for him the following season. I do get what you’re saying by the way I just wouldn’t blame the forwards at all.

B.H.F.C
10-11-2018, 10:49 PM
That could be a like for like comment on Jason Cummings under Terry Butcher. We seen what happened when chances started being created for him the following season. I do get what you’re saying by the way I just wouldn’t blame the forwards at all.

Not sure about the Cummings comparison. He could create for himself at times, bang one in from a free kick etc.

I also know where you’re coming from on MacLaren in that we know what he is. We know he needs service but I do think he has to develop his own game. The modern game doesn’t let you play with someone who is just a poacher IMO.

tonyrougier123
10-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Not sure about the Cummings comparison. He could create for himself at times, bang one in from a free kick etc.

I also know where you’re coming from on MacLaren in that we know what he is. We know he needs service but I do think he has to develop his own game. The modern game doesn’t let you play with someone who is just a poacher IMO.
I remember cummings having a bad time scoring for us as well bud,all strikers have that maccas just getting going after injury,lets see where hes at in may,but we are all agreed strikers and midfield need to do more.but I canny wait for the january window as we are looking mid table contenders,and I predict december will be a hard slog result wise for us.but even january is gonny b hard losing the aussie trio,so im no very optimistic for our season the now.

Liam6270
11-11-2018, 12:37 AM
You have to love Hibs.net, the minute you say something slightly opinionated the usual 🛎end’s call you out for being a roaster. It’s called a forum for a reason and I stand by my thoughts that I think Jamie mac is sub standard, offers very little and scored few goals that made me sit up and think he justified the circus that followed him pre season. We need to turn this around but for me Jamie mac is not the answer

Liam6270
11-11-2018, 12:39 AM
I agree :agree:. Gash, again. Striker in January please.

You better be careful, you’ll either be called a roaster, troll, yam lover or a fud. Some people can’t handle you having a different opinion

DH1875
11-11-2018, 12:42 AM
I havent read any of this thread. What I will say is that Maclaren is your is your fox in the box type striker and is more than good enough. Once him and Flo get a run of games, I'm sure they'll come good :aok:.

The Harp Awakes
11-11-2018, 12:47 AM
You have to love Hibs.net, the minute you say something slightly opinionated the usual ��end’s call you out for being a roaster. It’s called a forum for a reason and I stand by my thoughts that I think Jamie mac is sub standard, offers very little and scored few goals that made me sit up and think he justified the circus that followed him pre season. We need to turn this around but for me Jamie mac is not the answer

Of course you are entitled to your opinion mate. And yes, it is a forum, but I think singling out a player for criticism as you have done in a thread title is pretty shabby. Do you think Hibs players don't read this messgeboard? When they do, how do you think they feel? What will it do for their confidence?

I'm talking about any player here, whether they have been a good performer or not for Hibs.

On Jamie Mc, I would say you are totally wrong in your assessment. He's been struggling for fitness since he returned to the team but showed his worth last season. Jamie will come good and is a very good player IMO.

Hermit Crab
11-11-2018, 12:59 AM
You better be careful, you’ll either be called a roaster, troll, yam lover or a fud. Some people can’t handle you having a different opinion
[/B]

Oh I've been called all of the above many times before on here so I'm well used to it now. If you take the green tinted specs off on here and say it how you see it you're Friar Tucked. :greengrin

Liam6270
11-11-2018, 01:06 AM
[/B]

Oh I've been called all of the above many times before on here so I'm well used to it now. If you take the green tinted specs off on here and say it how you see it you're Friar Tucked. :greengrin

Not sure if you’re allowed to take those glasses off though? The regular posters won’t be happy

The Green Goblin
11-11-2018, 01:27 AM
Of course you are entitled to your opinion mate. And yes, it is a forum, but I think singling out a player for criticism as you have done in a thread title is pretty shabby. Do you think Hibs players don't read this messgeboard? When they do, how do you think they feel? What will it do for their confidence?

I'm talking about any player here, whether they have been a good performer or not for Hibs.

On Jamie Mc, I would say you are totally wrong in your assessment. He's been struggling for fitness since he returned to the team but showed his worth last season. Jamie will come good and is a very good player IMO.

Top post. Agree with every word.

The 90+2
11-11-2018, 02:08 AM
Not sure if you’re allowed to take those glasses off though? The regular posters won’t be happy

Who pissed on your chips?

HoboHarry
11-11-2018, 03:53 AM

Not quite sure I agree with that mate. I imagine that the first advice that any young player gets in these social media days is to ignore the, errrr "wisdom" of the posters. I'm sure the advice goes along the lines of "ignore them, they learned everything they know from FIFA video games and talk absolute s***e........"

BILLYHIBS
11-11-2018, 07:31 AM
If that was him causing them problems then I wouldn’t like to see him have a quiet game! They just brushed him aside any time he went near them.

As much as I’m not his biggest fan, I do think we need to give him and Flo the next 3 or 4 games together to see if they can recapture last seasons form.
Agree to a certain extent Jamie Mac badly needs games to get up to speed and a few goals hopefully against Dundee to get back in the groove.
Flo on the other hand is like my Mrs he badly needs a knee op sooner rather than later things going Pete Tong new striker required in the window

:thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
11-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Anyway as I was saying before I was interrupted anyone who has played football at any level will tell you that players like Jamie MacLaren are worth their weight in gold.
He is always making decent runs into the box and always anticipating defenders making errors he also creates space for others.
Just now players are not picking up his runs they are either being greedy or perhaps we need a Scott Allan type or someone with the guile and on the same wavelength to pick him out and unlock defences.
I remember when he first played for us last season it took a while for our midfielders to appreciate his runs and see what he was trying to do.
We no longer have that midfield and the “Jamie MAC is gash” boys are out in force.
When I played football the Jamie MAC type players would score thirty five goals a season and the accusation was often “all he does is score goals.”
Last season Jamie MAC started 11 games came on 4 times as a sub and scored 8 goals
He will continue making his blindside runs for us pulling defences all over the place causing panic in opposition defences all he needs is some service.

JimBHibees
11-11-2018, 08:07 AM
This is the same guy that scored a hat trick agains Rangers last season, plus one against Celtic and one against Hearts, scored against Aberdeen this season before getting injured. Just checking as the lack of patience and understanding is embarrassing.

BILLYHIBS
11-11-2018, 08:12 AM
This is the same guy that scored a hat trick agains Rangers last season, plus one against Celtic and one against Hearts, scored against Aberdeen this season before getting injured. Just checking as the lack of patience and understanding is embarrassing.

:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
11-11-2018, 08:16 AM

Aye, funny how opinions change huh.

JM has struggled with injury, with match fitness I'm sure him and Kamberi will forge a strong partnership again:flag:

eastcoasthibby
11-11-2018, 08:21 AM

The weak as a 5 year old and slow as a week in the jail might well be aligned to Mallan and Hyndman ...but Mallan gets away with it cos he has scored a few goals, can hit a ball and takes a decent freekick ..other than that he is a liability as a midfielder, Hyndman same flaws and no goal.threat and we wonder why we struggle to get a foothold in games. Lets not forget those 2, Boyle and Horgan are supposed to be the main creators McLaren and Kamberi ...
I am one.to have a go when.its not good and just now really isnt good, but lets not lay the blame at any one lersons door !!

Forza Fred
11-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Once again it seems there is relatively little ‘middle ground’ on Hibsnet....one can be a ‘superstar’ one week, only to tumble the next to being described as ‘gash’ or similar.

I got pelters a few weeks ago when I suggested that Jamie was not a ‘superstar’ but instead, a decent striker.

He is NOT a target man, does not win a majority of high balls, and yes, is not the strongest player on the park.

He IS though, as many have stated, a ‘fox in the box’ who can get into space away from defenders before they realise it.

Jamie has just returned from injury and I have no doubt that he and Flo WILL combine to score a few goals as the season progresses.

We can’t expect him to hit a hat trick on his first game back, and I think the expectations placed on him and criticisms offered are a bit unreasonable, given he has just returned from a few weeks out.

Goals will come, and I look forward to reading all the ‘superstar’ comments.

AgentDaleCooper
11-11-2018, 12:23 PM
He's great when he's got his scoring boots on, frustrating when he doesn't as he doesn't bring a great deal else.

Paisley Hibby
11-11-2018, 02:21 PM
He is a total fox in the box, but that needs the ball in to feet. Supply from our midfield is non-existent. Jamie isn't the problem.

Dear oh dear. A sensible post identifying the real problem. This will never catch on :greengrin

The 90+2
11-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Aye, funny how opinions change huh.

JM has struggled with injury, with match fitness I'm sure him and Kamberi will forge a strong partnership again:flag:

Is he away with Oz the next two weeks? Hopefully we can work on the front 2/midfield and be ready for Dundee.

Forza Fred
11-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Is he away with Oz the next two weeks? Hopefully we can work on the front 2/midfield and be ready for Dundee.

Yep, him, Milligan and Boyle, will all be in Australia.

I’m worried that once Boyle gets a taste of November sunshine...he might no want to go home....

Winston Ingram
11-11-2018, 09:16 PM
The weak as a 5 year old and slow as a week in the jail might well be aligned to Mallan and Hyndman ...but Mallan gets away with it cos he has scored a few goals, can hit a ball and takes a decent freekick ..other than that he is a liability as a midfielder, Hyndman same flaws and no goal.threat and we wonder why we struggle to get a foothold in games. Lets not forget those 2, Boyle and Horgan are supposed to be the main creators McLaren and Kamberi ...
I am one.to have a go when.its not good and just now really isnt good, but lets not lay the blame at any one lersons door !!

I’d agree on Hyndman but not on Mallan.

I’m not blaming MacLaren for anything. I just think he’s ***** and my view of him has been formed watching him attempt to play football over a year and hasn’t been clouded by him scoring a few tap ins.

Smartie
11-11-2018, 09:56 PM
I’d agree on Hyndman but not on Mallan.

I’m not blaming MacLaren for anything. I just think he’s ***** and my view of him has been formed watching him attempt to play football over a year and hasn’t been clouded by him scoring a few tap ins.

I like McLaren and think he's an excellent player.

My opinion is formed from having watched Hibs for more than 25 years flash cross after cross across the box without someone getting on the end of it and us struggling (to the point that we have twice been relegated) to score enough goals.

McLaren arrived on loan in January and for the following few months was part of a team that was as good as I've seen. The midfield tend to get the plaudits, but the fact that we had a nimble striker pulling defences about and getting on the end of chances made the job of that talented midfield much easier.

He's clearly an acquired taste and he'll have weeks when he's not at the races but I really like him.

We need him match fit and playing up front with Flo every week. When we start managing to do that, we might start to get a bit more from our midfielders. We're well into November and we've barely seen him paired with his best partner so far.

McLaren will get goals for us.

superfurryhibby
11-11-2018, 10:08 PM
I think MacLaren is the best goal poacher I’ve seen at Hibs for many a year. He’s scored in big games and we’ve really missed him this season. He’s been out with a long term injury and as a result we’ve suffered in games we’ve dominated but lacked a finish in. He’s clearly needing to find some match sharpness but I predict he’ll score a fair few over the course of the season.

Hibs will rise up the table and MacLaren will contribute significantly to that. His goals per game record is very good at ER and whilst he isn’t the best all round player, he does what every team needs and that’s put the ball in the net. Tap in, lol, I’ll take them every time. Clearly his positional awareness is so good that he doesn’t need to do the spectacular, he just gets himself into the right positions. Tha is a massive skill in itself.

Winston Ingram
11-11-2018, 10:16 PM
I like McLaren and think he's an excellent player.

My opinion is formed from having watched Hibs for more than 25 years flash cross after cross across the box without someone getting on the end of it and us struggling (to the point that we have twice been relegated) to score enough goals.

McLaren arrived on loan in January and for the following few months was part of a team that was as good as I've seen. The midfield tend to get the plaudits, but the fact that we had a nimble striker pulling defences about and getting on the end of chances made the job of that talented midfield much easier.

He's clearly an acquired taste and he'll have weeks when he's not at the races but I really like him.

We need him match fit and playing up front with Flo every week. When we start managing to do that, we might start to get a bit more from our midfielders. We're well into November and we've barely seen him paired with his best partner so far.

McLaren will get goals for us.

Absolutely. I see someone who has a dreadful first touch, is slow, weak, can’t hold the ball up, can’t beat a man and several other frailties. I also see a guy who’s good at finding space in the box for a tap in.

I get that people see a value in poachers and they think it’s worth having a 1 in 2 type. The problem with these types is that that’s 20 games a season where you are effectively playing with 10 men and also they only can play in a front 2 which limits the flexibility of the formations you can play.

This is why players of his ilk died out years ago.

Elephant Stone
11-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Absolutely. I see someone who has a dreadful first touch, is slow, weak, can’t hold the ball up, can’t beat a man and several other frailties. I also see a guy who’s good at finding space in the box for a tap in.

I get that people see a value in poachers and they think it’s worth having a 1 in 2 type. The problem with these types is that that’s 20 games a season where you are effectively playing with 10 men and also they only can play in a front 2 which limits the flexibility of the formations you can play.

Utter pish.

Winston Ingram
11-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Utter pish.

Aye ok pal😂

superfurryhibby
11-11-2018, 11:24 PM

Have to say, you made me laugh and that is no mean feat on here. 1 goal in 2 game strikers, tactical inflexibility, playing with a man down, dying breed.........raising the bar with that Winners.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 06:38 AM
Have to say, you made me laugh and that is no mean feat on here. 1 goal in 2 game strikers, tactical inflexibility, playing with a man down, dying breed.........raising the bar with that Winners.

You laughed because you couldn’t provide a logical reason as to why any of that was wrong?

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 07:16 AM
I have to admit I am firmly in the Jamie MAC camp on this one.

The posters on here who are in the “Jamie is gash” camp obviously do not understand or know anything about football and perhaps should find a hobby or perhaps go to the cinema on a Saturday.

I certainly know which camp Lenny is in. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 07:38 AM
I have to admit I am firmly in the Jamie MAC camp on this one.

The posters on here who are in the “Jamie is gash” camp obviously do not understand or know anything about football and perhaps should find a hobby or perhaps go to the cinema on a Saturday.

I certainly know which camp Lenny is in. :greengrin

This seems to be the standard defence for the posters defending him, attempting to mock or insult anyone.

It's genuinely accepted by all on this thread he's a good poacher by all on this thread but those who rate him seem completely incapable of articulating what else he has to his game which is why the opinion that he is gash has gained so much traction and why this thread has now reached 6 pages.

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 07:43 AM
This seems to be the standard defence for the posters defending him, attempting to mock or insult anyone.

It's genuinely accepted by all on this thread he's a good poacher by all on this thread but those who rate him seem completely incapable of articulating what else he has to his game which is why the opinion that he is gash has gained so much traction and why this thread has now reached 6 pages.

To be fair it’s one poster saying it time and time and time and time...

Do you believe for the player to be “gash” out of interest?

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 07:47 AM
To be fair it’s one poster saying it time and time and time and time...

Do you believe for the player to be “gash” out of interest?

Yeah that's right. Just me.

I think he's a good poacher, but other than that, he's dreadful.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 08:00 AM
If you go to a HIBS game just keep your eyes on Jamie Maclaren nothing else

Time and time again your eye will be drawn to him making runs to the back or near post where the ball should be placed for an easy tap in.

A case in point the last Aberdeen SPFL game at Easter Road Hanlon gets to the touchine whips the ball across goal GOAL!

I also give you goals versus Hearts Cettic Rangers at Ibroke and a hatrick versus Der Hun

8 goals from 15 starts 4 as sub last season

The Guy has just come back from injury

I lost count of the times last Friday when he was standing on the penalty box in splendid isolation with his hands in the air screaming for a tap in

Or am I teaching my granny how to suck eggs?

:confused:

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 08:03 AM
If you go to a HIBS game just keep your eyes on Jamie Maclaren nothing else

Time and time again your eye will be drawn to him making runs to the back or near post where the ball should be placed for an easy tap in.

A case in point the last Aberdeen SPFL game at Easter Road Hanlon gets to the touchine whips the ball across goal GOAL!

I also give you goals versus Hearts Cettic Rangers at Ibroke and a hatrick versus Der Hun

8 goals from 15 starts 4 as sub last season

The Guy has just come back from injury

I liost count of the times last Friday when he was standing on the penalty box in splendid isolation with his hands in the air screaming for a tap in

Or am I teaching my granny how to suck eggs?

:confused:

Yep. You've just described a poacher. It's widely accepted by pretty much everyone on this thread, he's good at finding space for a tap in (at Easter Road only)

It's the rest of his game he's getting questioned on.

JimBHibees
12-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Yeah that's right. Just me.

I think he's a good poacher, but other than that, he's dreadful.

Certainly isnt dreadful or wouldnt be playing at the level he is. Some of his off the ball runs for other players is excellent as is some of his link play though not his strongest suit. You have obviously made your mind up about the guy so probably no point going on as seem to remember you saying how rubbish he was when he was scoring most games. Dont think we are in a position to be writing off someone with his goal record and think he has been a good signing you dont.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Yep. You've just described a poacher. It's widely accepted by pretty much everyone on this thread, he's good at finding space for a tap in (at Easter Road only)

It's the rest of his game he's getting questioned on.
His hold up and link up play better than Olly Shaws for example plus he is constantly pulling defenders out of position and creating space for others plus that missing ingredient HE SCORES GOALS!
Lenny and his recruitment team must think he is worth the investment
He is a full international record goal scorer at Brisbane Roar and scored for fun in the A League
I could recommend Bohemian Rhapsody that is very good😁

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 08:30 AM
His hold up and link up play better than Olly Shaws for example plus he is constantly pulling defenders out of position and creating space for others plus that missing ingredient HE SCORES GOALS!
Lenny and his recruitment team must think he is worth the investment
He is a full international record goal scorer at Brisbane Roar and scored for fun in the A League
I could recommend Bohemian Rhapsody that is very good😁

Thanks for capitals Billy, but though Olly Shaw's aren't great, they certainly are not better than his. I get he can occasionally score tap ins at Easter Road as i've said repeatedly.

I also understand that he's a full international but so was Pa Kujabi. He scored goals at the world class standard that is the A-League, but fell on his arse at Darmstadt.

The game moved on from players who just poach many years ago and it's why you don't see them any more, accept at ER.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Let’s see what happens a lot of football still to be played and we will need every man jack of our small squad
We will have to agree to disagree
If you ever played football yourself at any level you would appreciate how valuable poachers such as Gerd Muller Joe Harper and Jamie MAC are goals change games it is a fine art they are worth their weight in gold that is why the likes of Aguero get paid fortunes per week for finishing off moves Pa Kujabi should be nowhere near a thread featuring these guys.
How about A Star is Born? 😁

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 09:09 AM
Goals win games and 30 yard screamers or five yard tap in- they all count the same.

There is art to poaching and being in the right place at the right time. It’s called game awareness. That involves timimg runs, good spatial awareness and have the skills to finish off what comes your way.

MacLaren will contribute effectively over the course of the season. He’s a weapon in our arsenal, but it’s not like we are constructing a team around him. We should signed another striker, I think everyone would agree with that ( with hindsight) and then we could mix it up more.

If you were really keen you could take apart every Hibs player and highlight their defecits, add some bizarre but comedy gold extrapolations and at the end of the day they would all be gash.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks for capitals Billy, but though Olly Shaw's aren't great, they certainly are not better than his. I get he can occasionally score tap ins at Easter Road as i've said repeatedly.

I also understand that he's a full international but so was Pa Kujabi. He scored goals at the world class standard that is the A-League, but fell on his arse at Darmstadt.

The game moved on from players who just poach many years ago and it's why you don't see them any more, accept at ER.
Olly Shaw was bossed by the Aberdeen defence in his last two games against them he is a promising young talent but he needs to bulk up improve his hold up play and most importantly start scoring goals at our level not in 12 or 18 months time NOW!
New striker badly needed in January window

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 09:13 AM
Let’s see what happens a lot of football still to be played and we will need every man jack of our small squad
If you ever played football yourself at any level you would appreciate how valuable poachers such as Gerd Muller Joe Harper and Jamie MAC are goals change games it is a fine art they are worth their weight in gold that is why the likes of Agguero get paid fortunes per week for finishing off moves Pa Kujabi should be nowhere near a thread featuring these guys.

If your comparing him to Aguero we probably should stop. Aguero can hold the ball up, he can link the play, he can beat a man, he can create, he's lightening fast and has a brilliant first touch.

I understand the value of poachers but they at must at least be able to perform the basics.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Olly Shaw was bossed by the Aberdeen defence in his last two games against them he is a promising young talent but he needs to bulk up improve his hold up play and most importantly start scoring goals at our level not in 12 or 18 months time NOW!
New striker badly needed in January window

He was. However he held the ball up very well in the games he played prior to that and i really thought he was developiing that side of his game. It set him back terribly.

I agree we need a new striker in the Jan window.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 09:22 AM
Goals win games and 30 yard screamers or five yard tap in- they all count the same.

There is art to poaching and being in the right place at the right time. It’s called game awareness. That involves timimg runs, good spatial awareness and have the skills to finish off what comes your way.

MacLaren will contribute effectively over the course of the season. He’s a weapon in our arsenal, but it’s not like we are constructing a team around him. We should signed another striker, I think everyone would agree with that ( with hindsight) and then we could mix it up more.

If you were really keen you could take apart every Hibs player and highlight their defecits, add some bizarre but comedy gold extrapolations and at the end of the day they would all be gash.

Thanks for stating the obvious. We are all agreed on the value of poaching a goal. This whole debate is about what else he does which is the square route of SFA. I can't think of one striker anywhere at any club in the last 20 years that only has this string to his bow.

They don't exist anymore because nearly every manager has worked out that you are effectively playing most of your games with 10 men. Jamie MacLaren is scored in 7 football matches out of the 21 he has played for us. In the 14 appearances he hasn't scored, he's played like he has on Friday and contributed next to nowt.

oldbutdim
12-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Kamberi hasn’t hit the previous heights yet, but I’m sure he will soon. Pretty sure one reason for this is that he has missed Jamie’s presence up top with him. Jamie’s running, pulling the defences all over the shop gives Flo space and opportunity to score and create.
I don’t accept the ‘fact’ that a player scoring in 50% of the games means that it’s ‘effectivelt 10 men’ in the team for all the other games. That’s just ridiculous.
Even Jamie’s presence on the park can pull opposition players about and that may (for instance) open up space for Martin Boyle to exploit. It’s all so obvious to me – that I can’t take the ‘ten men’ argument seriously at all.
But I’m well aware that this won’t be accepted by many. I’m convinced he’s an asset to the team, and others are not. It’s never going to result in a consensus.

Every ‘x Hibs players is gash’ argument will result in entrenched views which will be opposite.

Apart from Alan O’Brien and one or two other notable exceptions.
Obviously.

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Thanks for stating the obvious. We are all agreed on the value of poaching a goal. This whole debate is about what else he does which is the square route of SFA. I can't think of one striker anywhere at any club in the last 20 years that only has this string to his bow.

They don't exist anymore because nearly every manager has worked out that you are effectively playing most of your games with 10 men. Jamie MacLaren is scored in 7 football matches out of the 21 he has played for us. In the 14 appearances he hasn't scored, he's played like he has on Friday and contributed next to nowt.

I think you’re missing the point completely. I explained in easy read terms why there is more to his game and what he adds to the team.

In terms of Friday and most of the games we have lost, you could probably include more than half the team in that assessment.

You’re ploughing your own furrow on this one Winners.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 09:40 AM
I think you’re missing the point completely. I explained in easy read terms why there is more to his game and what he adds to the team.

In terms of Friday and most of the games we have lost, you could probably include more than half the team in that assessment.

You’re ploughing your own furrow on this one Winners.

'There is art to poaching and being in the right place at the right time. It’s called game awareness. That involves timimg runs, good spatial awareness and have the skills to finish off what comes your way.'

Yep - read easy. You've not described what more he offers, you've just described poaching - again.

Greenbeard
12-11-2018, 09:42 AM
If you ever played football yourself at any level you would appreciate how valuable poachers such as Gerd Muller Joe Harper and Jamie MAC are goals change games it is a fine art they are worth their weight in gold that is why the likes of Agguero get paid fortunes per week for finishing off moves Pa Kujabi should be nowhere near a thread featuring these guys.
Just read this thread like a boxing match. The Corporal Jones camp came out on the attack to win the early rounds but gradually the Level Headers came back into it and it's finishing (finished?) pretty much level on points.
RE-match scheduled for early Jan by when the "give him time" camp (which includes me btw) will be less able to use that defence.
Have said elsewhere, don't expect him to feature v. Dundee still jet-lagged only 2-3 days after a knackering trip to Oz, but three more games thereafter before we meet the Old Firm should leave no more room for excuses about game-time and sharpness.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2018, 09:44 AM
'There is art to poaching and being in the right place at the right time. It’s called game awareness. That involves timimg runs, good spatial awareness and have the skills to finish off what comes your way.'

Yep - read easy. You've not described what more he offers, you've just described poaching - again.

If all that it is 'poaching' then every striker in the world would be scoring 1 in 2, or similar.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Kamberi hasn’t hit the previous heights yet, but I’m sure he will soon. Pretty sure one reason for this is that he has missed Jamie’s presence up top with him. Jamie’s running, pulling the defences all over the shop gives Flo space and opportunity to score and create.
I don’t accept the ‘fact’ that a player scoring in 50% of the games means that it’s ‘effectivelt 10 men’ in the team for all the other games. That’s just ridiculous.
Even Jamie’s presence on the park can pull opposition players about and that may (for instance) open up space for Martin Boyle to exploit. It’s all so obvious to me – that I can’t take the ‘ten men’ argument seriously at all.
But I’m well aware that this won’t be accepted by many. I’m convinced he’s an asset to the team, and others are not. It’s never going to result in a consensus.

Every ‘x Hibs players is gash’ argument will result in entrenched views which will be opposite.

Obviously.
Agree with this but another problem is Kamberi badly needs a knee op before he is anywhere near the player he was last year his frustration is reflected in the number of bookings he is picking up that and being played as a lone striker Jamie will undoubtedly lessen his load and they can recreate their deadly partnership but at what price to Kamberis knee?

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 09:53 AM
If all that it is 'poaching' then every striker in the world would be scoring 1 in 2, or similar.

Why would that be?

Elephant Stone
12-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Why would that be?

If all you had to do to score goals was poach - ie: hang about up front and wait for the ball to come to you - then every striker would be scoring similar amounts of goals. It's not as simple as that, being able to do what he does is a talent. Saying "all he does is score" is a ridiculous thing to say about a striker. If he stopped scoring then we'd be talking about the other aspects of his game, maybe let's give him the benefit of the doubt given that he's just back from injury and has a very, very impressive scoring record? Seems a lot fairer and probably more productive than jumping on the guy's back the second he stops scoring.

oldbutdim
12-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Agree with this but another problem is Kamberi badly needs a knee op before he is anywhere near the player he was last year his frustration is reflected in the number of bookings he is picking up that and being played as a lone striker Jamie will undoubtedly lessen his load and they can recreate their deadly partnership but at what price to Kamberis knee?

Fair point - I think I've read about the knee problem, although what exactly needs doing I don't know.
We definitely need to strengthen our strike force - an experienced striker to share the load.

Definitely NOT someone who just scores goals though. Otherwise we'd be playing with nine men half the time. Or a quarter of the time or something like that.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 10:09 AM
If all you had to do to score goals was poach - ie: hang about up front and wait for the ball to come to you - then every striker would be scoring similar amounts of goals. It's not as simple as that, being able to do what he does is a talent. Saying "all he does is score" is a ridiculous thing to say about a striker. If he stopped scoring then we'd be talking about the other aspects of his game, maybe let's give him the benefit of the doubt given that he's just back from injury and has a very, very impressive scoring record? Seems a lot fairer and probably more productive than jumping on the guy's back the second he stops scoring.

Who said that?

I've said he's a good poacher and recognise that involves finding space in the box. I also recognise he is good at it and it is a talent.

My issue with himn for the 10 millionth time is that the rest of his game is abysmal.

I can think of no other player playing at decent level as a CF that is just a poacher. There isn't one because the game has moved on. It's far more athletic and demanding to have one player who's sole role is to find space in the box.

There might be a role for a player like that when you're playing cannon fodder at home who park the bus but there certainly isn't when your playing a good side and need everyone to contribute.

JackHibs
12-11-2018, 10:22 AM
This thread is hilarious, it wasn't this when he was banging them in second half of last season.

Form and confidence are a big thing for strikers and Jamie is clearly lacking a bit at the moment, Friday is not a good game to go by as the whole team were poor.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Fair point - I think I've read about the knee problem, although what exactly needs doing I don't know.
We definitely need to strengthen our strike force - an experienced striker to share the load.

Definitely NOT someone who just scores goals though. Otherwise we'd be playing with nine men half the time. Or a quarter of the time or something like that.
Yeah What does Lawrence Shankland do apart from score goals? :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 10:33 AM
https://youtu.be/oM9ZwaZhGSQ

No bad fighting for a tap in merchant!

Roxyhibee
12-11-2018, 10:38 AM
To say there’s only one string to MacLarens bow is utter nonsense and a poor reaction to a bad game he had on Friday night. He’s obviously still short of match practice too.

Like evey other striker in our price range he’s got strengths and weaknesses. Thankfully, for me anyway he’s got more of the former.

His clever runs in behind defences last season were something we had been missing for a long time from previous strikers and they complimented Kamberis game massively. Surely everyone watching saw this..

His timing of running onto balls played across the box were very good and not all striker can give you this. He is quick on the turn with his back to goal (see superb goal against Hearts last season.)

He’s lost a bit of form just now but let’s give the guy a break ffs. If he starts finding last seasons game again, we’ll all be delighted. Let’s be honest, the service from Boyle is not great just now and Lennons tactics playing Squirrel inside isn’t helping balls into the danger areas.

Despite Friday’s poor show, which it has to be said was from both teams and one we could have won, I’m hoping Lennon sticks with Flo and Jamie up front and get Boyle back to what he does best.

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 10:43 AM
https://youtu.be/oM9ZwaZhGSQ

No bad fighting for a tap in merchant!

Weak as a kitten, no skill and did nothing else outside of the 18 yard line though. That kind of goalscoring is a thing of the past. If it’s not a raker from 20 yards plus then I don’r want to know, blah, blah. This type of goalscoring limits our options.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Weak as a kitten, no skill and did nothing else outside of the 18 yard line though. That kind of goalscoring is a thing of the past. If it’s not a raker from 20 yards plus then I don’r want to know, blah, blah. This type of goalscoring limits our options.

:faf:

Oh ma achin sides!

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 10:48 AM
I don’t necessarily agree with WI that Maclaren is dreadful other than his poaching ability but he’snot that exciting at the other aspects of his game. That’s fine to a certain degree, but it certainly does make things more difficult when he’s not scoring. His performance on Friday was abysmal and he needs to do better than that whether he’s scoring or not.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 11:04 AM
I don’t necessarily agree with WI that Maclaren is dreadful other than his poaching ability but he’snot that exciting at the other aspects of his game. That’s fine to a certain degree, but it certainly does make things more difficult when he’s not scoring. His performance on Friday was abysmal and he needs to do better than that whether he’s scoring or not.
If Kamberi had looked up when he ran past the Aberdeen goalie instead of blasting over from an impossible angle Jamie MAC was up supporting ready for a tap in to an empty goal. Might be worth watching the highlights on Sportscene again.
I know what if ? what if?
Kamberi even totally miscued in front of an open goal.
As another poster has commented conditions more suited to Dorothy and the Tin Man but hey it was the same for both teams
New striker urgently required in January

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 11:09 AM
If Kamberi had looked up when he ran past the Aberdeen goalie instead of blasting over from an impossible angle Jamie MAC was up supporting ready for a tap in to an empty goal. Might be worth watching the highlights on Sportscene again.
I know what if ? what if?
Kamberi even totally miscued in front of an open goal.
As another poster has commented conditions more suited to Dorothy and the Tin Man but hey it was the same for both teams
New striker urgently required in January

Yup he was. And Flo should have squared it. If he had Maclaren would have done his job to the extent that he would have had a goal which is great. But even if we pretend he had scored that goal, the rest of his game on Friday was pretty poor, as it can be a wee bit too often for me. It's a side of his game that definitely needs improvement. Like I said though, abysmal (or whatever similar word he used) is probably a bit strong from WI but I can see where he's coming from.

basehibby
12-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Correct - if Kambers had cut the ball back to him when it was the obvious thing to do and he'd failed to convert then McLaren may have been worthy of some criticism. Other than that though I cannot recall one occasion where he got a sniff. Sadly we're not creating decent chances as a team at the moment - either by feeding the wide men or by picking out incisive through balls.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Yup he was. And Flo should have squared it. If he had Maclaren would have done his job to the extent that he would have had a goal which is great. But even if we pretend he had scored that goal, the rest of his game on Friday was pretty poor, as it can be a wee bit too often for me. It's a side of his game that definitely needs improvement. Like I said though, abysmal (or whatever similar word he used) is probably a bit strong from WI but I can see where he's coming from.

So are you in 1) Jamie Mac is gash club
2) He has been injured let’s just wait and see what happens club
3) The Cinema Club?

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 11:25 AM
So are you in 1) Jamie Mac is gash club
2) He has been injured let’s just wait and see what happens club
3) The Cinema Club?

I’m in the

4) Maclaren isn’t gash. His goal scoring or “poaching” ability is very good. The rest of his game, which is also important, is below par. All things combined making him a pretty average player at our level who blows either very hot or very cold. If the rest of his game can come on this season then he could be a very good player at our level. If it doesn’t then I wouldn’t be busting a gut to keep him here permanently.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 11:28 AM
I’m in the

4) Maclaren isn’t gash. His goal scoring or “poaching” ability is very good. The rest of his game, which is also important, is below par. All things combined making him a pretty average player at our level who blows either very hot or very cold. If the rest of his game can come on this season then he could be a very good player at our level. If it doesn’t then I wouldn’t be busting a gut to keep him here permanently.
Oh dear Oh dear!!

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 11:35 AM
I’m in the

His goalscoring record makes him a very useful player at our level, but he needs service. Without that then he’s not going to do much. If the rest of his game was as good then I would imagine he would be out of our price range at the end of the season. The question is more can our midfield and wide men offer him the service he needs to thrive. I think they can.

I was thinking about other poacher types. kris Boyd and Jordan Rhodes came to mind. Both have sustained long careers based mostly on putting the ball in the net and for all that they’re different in style, they both failed to make an impact at international level. Rhodes in particular has commanded cumulative transfer fees that show how much value clubs place on goals. They win games after all.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Oh dear Oh dear!!

What part do you disagree with? Do you think Maclarens link up play is good? Good at holding the ball up? Runs himself into the ground? Wins a lot in the air? As WI said previously, people keep describing the aspects of his game which make him a good poached. A trait which we’ve both acknowledged he’s very good at. The other aspects of his game aren’t as good.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 11:41 AM
His goalscoring record makes him a very useful player at our level, but he needs service. Without that then he’s not going to do much. If the rest of his game was as good then I would imagine he would be out of our price range at the end of the season. The question is more can our midfield and wide men offer him the service he needs to thrive. I think they can.

I was thinking about other poacher types. kris Boyd and Jordan Rhodes came to mind. Both have sustained long careers based mostly on putting the ball in the net and for all that they’re different in style, they both failed to make an impact at international level. Rhodes in particular has commanded cumulative transfer fees that show how much value clubs place on goals. They win games after all.

Goals do win games. But Maclaren has scored 9 in 24. Its not enough to justify the fact he doesn’t do much else. He would either need to improve that goal scoring record or improve other aspects of his game to become a very good player.

I’d rather he improved and was out our price range at the end of the season than him carry on having a 1 in 2.5 game goal record and offering little else and still being available to us.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Who said that?

I've said he's a good poacher and recognise that involves finding space in the box. I also recognise he is good at it and it is a talent.

My issue with himn for the 10 millionth time is that the rest of his game is abysmal.

I can think of no other player playing at decent level as a CF that is just a poacher. There isn't one because the game has moved on. It's far more athletic and demanding to have one player who's sole role is to find space in the box.

There might be a role for a player like that when you're playing cannon fodder at home who park the bus but there certainly isn't when your playing a good side and need everyone to contribute.

Or when you're needing a goal against Hearts or Celtic, or four goals against Rangers :hilarious

hibsbollah
Goals do win games. But Maclaren has scored 9 in 24. Its not enough to justify the fact he doesn’t do much else. He would either need to improve that goal scoring record or improve other aspects of his game to become a very good player.

I’d rather he improved and was out our price range at the end of the season than him carry on having a 1 in 2.5 game goal record and offering little else and still being available to us.

:confused: I'm confused as you think 9 in 24 is a record that can justify your argument. That's actually a very good return; just by comparison Gary OConnor was 1/3, Mixu 1/3, Deek and Cummings (in the 2nd tier mostly) approx a goal in every 2 and a quarter.

If a striker is doing any better than 1/3 at the top level they're succeeding, any manager will tell you that. How many would he have to score to justify 'doing very little else? 15? 20?

BILLYHIBS
What part do you disagree with? Do you think Maclarens link up play is good? Good at holding the ball up? Runs himself into the ground? Wins a lot in the air? As WI said previously, people keep describing the aspects of his game which make him a good poached. A trait which we’ve both acknowledged he’s very good at. The other aspects of his game aren’t as good.
No disrespect Callum I normally respect your views even although I often disagree with them your thoughts on Porteous and Rocky spring to mind.It is with the greatest respect that I urge you to read this whole thread from start to finish before responding.Jamie MAC is an excellent player and we are lucky to have him. To answer your question yes I think his link up play and hold up play are excellent and he has good upper body strength ( see his goal versus Hearts) His goals scored per games played ratio is excellent not only is his link up play good he creates space for others with his runs causes panic in opposition defences with his blind side runs and runs across the offside line and is good in the air cue his hatrick versus the Huns.Yes he actually scores goals as well.
If you are going to Easter Road and you do not actually watch what is happening on the football pitch you really are better off at the cinema you will find it much more entertaining 😁

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Me too, in terms of improvement, I’m all for it.

His goalscoring last season was a big part of why we had one of the best Hibs sides in decades. It was 8 in 15. We had a midfield that created chancess, he (and Flo) put them away.

This season has been stop start due a significant injury. 1 goal in 9 isn’t good, but based on what we know he can do, I’m expecting that to improve.

As I said, he has the talent, but It’s up to others to ensure he can use it. Team game and all that.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 11:55 AM
:confused: I'm confused as you think 9 in 24 is a record that can justify your argument. That's actually a very good return; just by comparison Gary OConnor was 1/3, Mixu 1/3, Deek and Cummings (in the 2nd tier mostly) approx a goal in every 2 and a quarter.

If a striker is doing any better than 1/3 at the top level they're succeeding, any manager will tell you that.

Gaz, Deek and Mixu offered so much more than Maclaren does elsewhere. Cummings failed in the top flight. Better than one in 3 is a good goal scoring record, but you also need to be doing more than just putting the ball in the net unless you’re doing it with ridiculously high frequency.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 11:57 AM
No disrespect Callum I normally respect your views even although I often disagree with them your thoughts on Porteous and Rocky spring to mind.It is with the greatest respect that I urge you to read this whole thread from start to finish before responding.Jamie MAC is an excellent player and we are lucky to have him. To answer your question yes I think his link up play and hold up play are excellent and he has good upper body strength ( see his goal versus Hearts) His goals scored per games played ratio is excellent not only is link up play good he creates space for others with his runs causes panic in opposition defences with his blind side runs and runs across the offside line and is good in the air cue his hatrick versus the Huns.Yes he actually scores goals as well.
If you are going to Easter Road and you do not actually watch what is happening on the football pitch you really are better off at the cinema you will find it much more entertaining 😁

Your attitude of anyone that disagrees with you doesn’t know anything about football or doesn’t watch the games is chronic.

For what it’s worth I strongly disagree that Maclarens hold up play is excellent. I’d go as far to say it’s almost non-existent.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Gaz, Deek and Mixu offered so much more than Maclaren does elsewhere. Cummings failed in the top flight. Better than one in 3 is a good goal scoring record, but you also need to be doing more than just putting the ball in the net unless you’re doing it with ridiculously high frequency.

He is. 1 goal every 2 games is pretty much as good as it gets. Why is this debate happening?! :shocked:

hibsbollah
12-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Well I love those three players as much as the next man but Mixu offered very little outside the penalty box, and his touch was often a clearance! OConnor was castigated on here for being a lazy fat ******* and Deek tracked back about as often as Craig Levein goes to Sainsbury's without his colostomy bag.

I think you're being a tad harsh. And a tad early to rush to judgement on a player that's just getting used to our league. 24 games and 9 goals, contrast with Cummings first 16 games...zero goals. All the 'other things' can't disguise the goal return.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 12:01 PM
He is. 1 goal every 2 games is pretty much as good as it gets. Why is this debate happening?! :shocked:

His record isn’t one in two. It’s much closer to one in three. His record last season is also the reason it’s at that level. If he can’t perform like last season because he doesn’t have SJM, Allan and DMc behind him then maybe we need a different type of striker?

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Well I love those three players as much as the next man but Mixu offered very little outside the penalty box, and his touch was often a clearance! OConnor was castigated on here for being a lazy fat ******* and Deek tracked back about as often as Craig Levein goes to Sainsbury's without his colostomy bag.

I think you're being a tad harsh. And a tad early to rush to judgement on a player that's just getting used to our league. 24 games and 9 goals, contrast with Cummings first 16 games...zero goals. All the 'other things' can't disguise the goal return.

I actually have said his goals return overall is pretty decent :greengrin I’m absolutely not criticising his goal scoring ability. Although his goals to games ratio is also dropping by the week.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2018, 12:05 PM
His record isn’t one in two. It’s much closer to one in three. His record last season is also the reason it’s at that level. If he can’t perform like last season because he doesn’t have SJM, Allan and DMc behind him then maybe we need a different type of striker?

Wiki has got him on 9 goals in 21 league games, a lot of those will be sub appearances too.

Kamberi's form has dipped recently as well, probably because the team aren't creating many chances. We need more from our creative players and we probably need more creative players, we don't need to replace two very useful strikers.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Your attitude of anyone that disagrees with you doesn’t know anything about football or doesn’t watch the games is chronic.

For what it’s worth I strongly disagree that Maclarens hold up play is excellent. I’d go as far to say it’s almost non-existent.
Nothing wrong with my attitude mate just trying to be as honest and as diplomatic as possible not really looking to fall out with anyone tbh
No doubt once Jamie is up and running and is match fit and is scoring goals for fun again and I am proved to be correct once again as in the Porteous scenario you can look back on this day and say to yourself “Billyhibs was correct once again!”
As another poster has said Jamie Mac has all the hold up play runs skill and talent all he needs is service.

we are hibs
12-11-2018, 12:22 PM

What a state to get yourself into over a football forum. Deary me :hilarious

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Nothing wrong with my attitude mate just trying to be as honest and as diplomatic as possible not really looking to fall out with anyone tbh
No doubt once Jamie is up and running and is match fit and is scoring goals for fun again and I am proved to be correct once again as in the Porteous scenario you can look back on this day and say to yourself “Billyhibs was correct once again!”
As another poster has said Jamie Mac has all the hold up play runs skill and talent all he needs is service.

There’s nothing diplomatic about acting like a fountain of football knowledge while everybody else that has a different opinion is clueless about football. It couldn’t really be further from diplomatic.

If Maclaren has all that you claim he does then god knows why he’s on one in 9 because he sounds like Drogba at his peak.

Elephant Stone
12-11-2018, 12:32 PM
There’s nothing diplomatic about acting like a fountain of football knowledge while everybody else that has a different opinion is clueless about football. It couldn’t really be further from diplomatic.

If Maclaren has all that you claim he does then god knows why he’s on one in 9 because he sounds like Drogba at his peak.

There's a difference between having a different opinion and posting exaggerated, over the top nonsense which doesn't hold up to scrutiny- in which case you're either an attention seeker, a troll, or don't know much about football.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Ha Ha ! As even you are no doubt aware it has been a stop start season for most at Easter Road caused by injuries suspensions European and International breaks I prefer to base my faith on the second part of last season played 15 four as sub scored 8 Like many on here and Lenny I have enough confidence in a proven goal scorer and fully expect there is more to come
Keep the faith! 😁

hibsbollah
12-11-2018, 12:39 PM
Sometimes you walk into a pub, everyone is jovial, knocking back their blue wkds and fine Umbrian primitivo,and out of nowhere someone gets glassed, two patrons get ejected and a bout of pavement dancing ensues. Out of the blue. From a cloudless sky.

All over a diminutive Australian striker and his relative merits and demerits :faf:

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Sometimes you walk into a pub, everyone is jovial, knocking back their blue wkds and fine Umbrian primitivo,and out of nowhere someone gets glassed, two patrons get ejected and a bout of pavement dancing ensues. Out of the blue. From a cloudless sky.

All over a diminutive Australian striker and his relative merits and demerits :faf:
Naw! The Libby Inn is closed now mate! 😁

One Day Soon
12-11-2018, 12:49 PM

That post is an unexpected sorrowful bolt from the Mclaren denigrating blue. I can't believe what I'm seeing as it is being converted to a house, perhaps almost as much as some people cannot believe Mclaren is a decent player.

JimBHibees
12-11-2018, 12:54 PM

Obviously.

Totally agree.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 12:56 PM
No disrespect Callum I normally respect your views even although I often disagree with them your thoughts on Porteous and Rocky spring to mind.It is with the greatest respect that I urge you to read this whole thread from start to finish before responding.Jamie MAC is an excellent player and we are lucky to have him. To answer your question yes I think his link up play and hold up play are excellent and he has good upper body strength ( see his goal versus Hearts) His goals scored per games played ratio is excellent not only is his link up play good he creates space for others with his runs causes panic in opposition defences with his blind side runs and runs across the offside line and is good in the air cue his hatrick versus the Huns.Yes he actually scores goals as well.
If you are going to Easter Road and you do not actually watch what is happening on the football pitch you really are better off at the cinema you will find it much more entertaining ��

For all the people singing the praises of MacLaren, you have to be the only one who thinks this.

It's awful and i'd agree with Calums observation that it's almost non-existent.

Against Celtic when he scored a tap in, I was watching in a bar in Seville . I'd noticed quite early on in his Hibs career that he wasn't particularly keen nor particularly good at getting involved in the events outside the box and suggested a game to my 2 pals that we should move the tab round every time he touched the ball and whoever ended up with it had to pay the whole bar bill. It wasn't particularly eventful as he had 7 touches in total in that game before he was subbed in the 73rd minute.

v Aberdeen in April he believe it or not performed even worse than he did on Friday. He had 8 touches in total and that included a kick off and a very badly taken penalty before getting hauled off in the 66th minute.

Thought not always as poor as this, it's not far off his standard.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 01:00 PM
There's a difference between having a different opinion and posting exaggerated, over the top nonsense which doesn't hold up to scrutiny- in which case you're either an attention seeker, a troll, or don't know much about football.

What’s been exaggerated or over the top? I’ve given a reasoned argument about what I think are his strengths and his weaknesses. I’ve admitted he’s a very good poacher/penalty box striker. The only exaggeration I’ve seen has been the suggestion he’s an excellent target man/link up striker. If that’s the case then the majority of SPL strikers must be world class target men.

Like I said earlier, Maclarens return was excellent last season. But if he’s going to need a midfield of last seasons standard behind him to get back to that then he’s not going to be much use to us.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 01:13 PM
For all the people singing the praises of MacLaren, you have to be the only one who thinks this.

It's awful and i'd agree with Calums observation that it's almost non-existent.

Against Celtic when he scored a tap in, I was watching in a bar in Seville . I'd noticed quite early on in his Hibs career that he wasn't particularly keen nor particularly good at getting involved in the events outside the box and suggested a game to my 2 pals that we should move the tab round every time he touched the ball and whoever ended up with it had to pay the whole bar bill. It wasn't particularly eventful as he had 7 touches in total in that game before he was subbed in the 73rd minute.

v Aberdeen in April he believe it or not performed even worse than he did on Friday. He had 8 touches in total and that included a kick off and a very badly taken penalty before getting hauled off in the 66th minute.

Thought not always as poor as this, it's not far off his standard.
Please watch the goal that someone very kindly put up that he scored against Hearts ( Oh it was Billyhibs) where he showed superb upper body strength fought off three Hearts defenders a sharp turn and accurate strike
I will take any goal versus Celtic it was a brilliant blind side onside run showing excellent movement and finish
I admit it was a badly taken penalty versus Aberdeen indeed he was lucky that his strike went in against The Rangers at Ibroke
His miss against Aberdeen possibly cost us second place and resulted in him being dropped versus Hearts which I personally think was a mistake we should have played or usual team but that is in the past
Indeed a draw on the night would have earned us second place
It is not just his hold up play it is his clever runs that brings others into play
As you quite rightly said yourself if he was Aguerro he would not be at Easter Road
I take it you are in the Jamie Mac is gash camp?

Greenbeard
12-11-2018, 01:23 PM
And I thought three pages back that things were coming to an amicable draw on points!

Ding ding....Round 23.......

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Please watch the goal that someone very kindly put up that he scored against Hearts ( Oh it was Billyhibs) where he showed superb upper body strength fought off three Hearts defenders a sharp turn and accurate strike
I will take any goal versus Celtic it was a brilliant blind side onside run showing excellent movement and finish
I admit it was a badly taken penalty versus Aberdeen indeed he was lucky that his strike went in against The Rangers at Ibroke
His miss against Aberdeen possibly cost us second place and resulted in him being dropped versus Hearts which I personally think was a mistake we should have played or usual team but that is in the past
Indeed a draw on the night would have earned us second place
It is not just his hold up play it is his clever runs that brings others into play
As you quite rightly said yourself if he was Aguerro he would not be at Easter Road
I take it you are in the Jamie Mac is gash camp?

I'm struggling to see why you've replied to my post about his hold up play. For the 10 billionth time on this thread he's a good poacher and the goals he scored have been valuable. It's just the rest of his game that's dreadful.

You might want to wipe your eyes and have another look and look at that 'superb upper body strength (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgQRl2XNb4)' It looks he taken a bad touch, the ball has got stuck between Naismiths feet and he's stuck his foot between them to get the ball out.

I'm completely in the gash cap.

Diclonius
12-11-2018, 01:32 PM
You know we've got it good when there's a thread claiming Jamie ****ing Maclaren is pish.

I'll get onto the phone and see if Vine, Collins, Haynes, Heffernan, Sinclair, Kuqi, Trakys or Johansson are free, shall I?

hibsbollah
12-11-2018, 01:46 PM

I was thinking more the University Arms on Peffermill road, now sadly departed. Some of the auld regulars from there are posters on here, I'm sure of it.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm struggling to see why you've replied to my post about his hold up play. For the 10 billionth time on this thread he's a good poacher and the goals he scored have been valuable. It's just the rest of his game that's dreadful.

You might want to wipe your eyes and have another look and look at that 'superb upper body strength (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUgQRl2XNb4)' It looks he taken a bad touch, the ball has got stuck between Naismiths feet and he's stuck his foot between them to get the ball out.

I'm completely in the gash cap.
I like any goal against Celtic I will take any goal against Hearts

Like it or not our top two first choice strikers at the club are Kamberi and MacLaren

Maclarens link up play his blind side runs his running into space in the box gambling anticipating where he expects the ball to go pulling defenders all over the place basically being a constant menace
His partnership with Kamberi works well and when both are fully fit their contrasting styles compliment each other constantly closing down defenders to be fair we have seen little of that so far this season
Scoring is an art form and his so-called tap in against Celtic was the result of a well timed blind side onside run against a well drilled Celtic defence
Like it or not you are stuck with Jamie Mac until 30/6/19 hopefully longer
There is nothing either you or me can do about it as fortunately Lenny picks the team
😁

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Nowt wrong with the Libby Inn mate much better than the nest.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 01:55 PM
I was thinking more the University Arms on Peffermill road, now sadly departed. Some of the auld regulars from there are posters on here, I'm sure of it.
Aye wee Jimmy Harvey though I do not think he would know what to do with a computer

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 02:30 PM
I like any goal against Celtic I will take any goal against Hearts

Like it or not our top two first choice strikers at the club are Kamberi and MacLaren

Maclarens link up play his blind side runs his running into space in the box gambling anticipating where he expects the ball to go pulling defenders all over the place basically being a constant menace
His partnership with Kamberi works well and when both are fully fit their contrasting styles compliment each other constantly closing down defenders to be fair we have seen little of that so far this season
Scoring is an art form and his so-called tap in against Celtic was the result of a well timed blind side onside run against a well drilled Celtic defence
Like it or not you are stuck with Jamie Mac until 30/6/19 hopefully longer
There is nothing either you or me can do about it as fortunately Lenny picks the team
😁

Why are you even replying? You've just repeated the things i already agree with just like you did with your last post?

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 02:39 PM
Why are you even replying? You've just repeated the things i already agree with just like you did with your last post?

Away for a lie doon now Winston

billyhibs has left the building

Heisenberg
12-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Jamie MacLaren is a very useful player who will score plenty this season. Don’t get some of the hate for him after a couple of poor games in a row after injury this season.

Winston Ingram
12-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Away for a lie doon now Winston

billyhibs has left the building

I'm surprised they let you out to be honest:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 02:48 PM
I'm surprised they let you out to be honest:greengrin
Why are you even responding to me?

I am trying to sleep!

Are you stalking me?

PC time finishes 1500 hrs followed by afternoon nap :greengrin

JimBHibees
12-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Jamie MacLaren is a very useful player who will score plenty this season. Don’t get some of the hate for him after a couple of poor games in a row after injury this season.

Very bizarre. :agree:

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2018, 03:46 PM
New striker badly needed in January windowThey were definitely bossing him when he played a 1-2 and got through and away from them. If he scores that you wouldn't be posting this. Made McKenna look like a pub team player.

Putting NOW is capitals doesn't speed up the development of a young player.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 03:58 PM
They were definitely bossing him when he played a 1-2 and got through and away from them. If he scores that you wouldn't be posting this. Made McKenna look like a pub team player.

Putting NOW is capitals doesn't speed up the development of a young player.
That’ll be the one that he hit past the far post and went for glory where the simple ball was Kamberi standing on the six yard line and Aberdeen woulda shoulda been dead and buried but once again they were let off the hook by our naive attacking play
Sorry but must try harder 😁

J-C
12-11-2018, 04:02 PM
You two still at it, give a bloody rest, like 2 squabbling 5 year old.

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
That’ll be the one that he hit past the far post and went for glory where the simple ball was Kamberi standing on the six yard line and Aberdeen woulda shoulda been dead and buried but once again they were let off the hook by our naive attacking play
Sorry but must try harder 😁

Indeed, that's the one. Lovely play in the build-up and he made the wrong decision at the vital moment. Better bin a 20 year old with potential based on that.

Kamberi went round the goalie that night and missed. Boyle missed a sitter 1v1 and Kamberi blazed over from 12 yards after a nice turn. Why is Shaws chance the only one mentioned?

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2018, 04:13 PM
You two still at it, give a bloody rest, like 2 squabbling 5 year old.No :aok:

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Indeed, that's the one. Lovely play in the build-up and he made the wrong decision at the vital moment. Better bin a 20 year old with potential based on that.

Kamberi went round the goalie that night and missed. Boyle missed a sitter 1v1 and Kamberi blazed over from 12 yards after a nice turn. Why is Shaws chance the only one mentioned?
Dunno you mentioned it?

Agree though lots of players missed loads of chances that night Kamberi probably worst offender 21 attempts on goal no goals??

That game was made for Jamie Maclaren

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 04:24 PM
You two still at it, give a bloody rest, like 2 squabbling 5 year old.

Open thread, ignore their argument, close thread 😂

J-C
12-11-2018, 04:29 PM
No :aok:

Wasn't meaning you, Billyhibs and Callum was who I meant. 😜

J-C
12-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Open thread, ignore their argument, close thread 😂

It just goes on and on, this place gets worse.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Wasn't meaning you, Billyhibs and Callum was who I meant. 😜
I blame Callum 😂

Apologies Callum I was out of order

😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

MWHIBBIES
12-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Wasn't meaning you, Billyhibs and Callum was who I meant. 😜Fair enough then :greengrin

Dunno you mentioned it?

Agree though lots of players missed loads of chances that night Kamberi probably worst offender 21 attempts on goal no goals??

That game was made for Jamie MaclarenIt seem to be largely what you are basing getting rid of him on though. That's why.

Exactly, everyone was at it.

I don't think it was particularly made for Maclaren. The clear cut chances were created by the players themselves, Shaw and Kamberi with quick turns/1-2s and clever runs behind by Boyle from wide areas. He would've scored the one Shaw missed but would he have created it? Not sure.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Fair enough then :greengrin

It seem to be largely what you are basing getting rid of him on though. That's why.

Exactly, everyone was at it.

I don't think it was particularly made for Maclaren. The clear cut chances were created by the players themselves, Shaw and Kamberi with quick turns/1-2s and clever runs behind by Boyle from wide areas. He would've scored the one Shaw missed but would he have created it? Not sure.
Sorry, get rid of who exactly?

Tarrahib
12-11-2018, 04:39 PM
You know we've got it good when there's a thread claiming Jamie ****ing Maclaren is pish.

I'll get onto the phone and see if Vine, Collins, Haynes, Heffernan, Sinclair, Kuqi, Trakys or Johansson are free, shall I?
Maybe Brian Graham is still available in January?

JimBHibees
12-11-2018, 04:42 PM

Certainly puts it in perspective that is for sure.

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Certainly puts it in perspective that is for sure.

It certainly does. JJ was a big let down.

What about Malonga? Where is Dom? Perhaps he could save the day?

blackpoolhibs
12-11-2018, 04:44 PM
McLaren was good last season, his goalscoring and off the ball running complimented Kamberi, we had a terrific front two with them.

This season, Kamberi has been injured, McLaren has hardly played, and he's not match fit.

He's getting stick this season unfairly, for not being available for a team thats going through a sticky patch on his return.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 04:49 PM

The fact we've had pish players previously doesn't mean that anyone better than them should just be heralded as outstanding or people shouldn't question what they bring to the team. That's not even a Jamie Maclaren specific point btw, there seems to be an attitude on here that we've had worse times than this so everyone should just shut up and accept whatever happens because it's better than it used to be. :confused:

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 04:51 PM
McLaren was good last season, his goalscoring and off the ball running complimented Kamberi, we had a terrific front two with them.

This season, Kamberi has been injured, McLaren has hardly played, and he's not match fit.

He's getting stick this season unfairly, for not being available for a team thats going through a sticky patch on his return.

I do find it quite astonishing. It would perhaps be different if he came in and suddenly the team stopped playing well but he’s returning from injury and perhaps not a full pre season in a would Cup year and is getting the blame for not being the saviour. Its possible he found himself on the bench for a struggling German club last year because they where struggling to create also? There’s been very little to indicate Jamie Mac has become a shadow of last year over night.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 04:55 PM
I do find it quite astonishing. It would perhaps be different if he came in and suddenly the team stopped playing well but he’s returning from injury and perhaps not a full pre season in a would Cup year and is getting the blame for not being the saviour. Its possible he found himself on the bench for a struggling German club last year because they where struggling to create also? There’s been very little to indicate Jamie Mac has become a shadow of last year over night.

This is the bit that makes me question his worth to our current side. We've not got anything like the ability to put chances on a plate for him that we did last year with Allan especially and SJM and DMc. Last year it worked perfect but if the rest of the team can't do what he needs them to do to make him play then should he be in the team?

The 90+2
12-11-2018, 04:57 PM
This is the bit that makes me question his worth to our current side. We've not got anything like the ability to put chances on a plate for him that we did last year with Allan especially and SJM and DMc. Last year it worked perfect but if the rest of the team can't do what he needs them to do to make him play then should he be in the team?

I would agree that perhaps based on the type of player he is and the chances that are non existent then he shouldn’t be in the team although I would give him and Flo a run next 3 games. That doesn’t make him not very good though, that makes a victim of the squad shape and personell around him.

PatHead
12-11-2018, 05:23 PM

I think he has to be given time to get up to speed and rediscover his form of last season along with his partnership with Flo.

Friday night was not a night to judge anyone on due to the conditions.