PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren is actually not very good

Pages : 1 [2]

JimBHibees
12-11-2018, 04:26 PM
McLaren was good last season, his goalscoring and off the ball running complimented Kamberi, we had a terrific front two with them.

This season, Kamberi has been injured, McLaren has hardly played, and he's not match fit.

He's getting stick this season unfairly, for not being available for a team thats going through a sticky patch on his return.

Couldnt agree more.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
McLaren was good last season, his goalscoring and off the ball running complimented Kamberi, we had a terrific front two with them.

This season, Kamberi has been injured, McLaren has hardly played, and he's not match fit.

He's getting stick this season unfairly, for not being available for a team thats going through a sticky patch on his return.
Sensible post from the ever reliable BH

B.H.F.C
12-11-2018, 04:35 PM
I’m not sure how many games MacLaren missed through his injury but I think it was only 3 or 4. He was toiling for form and sharpness in his 6 or 7 appearances before he was injured as well though.

Not having a pre season obviously affected him. He’s got some minutes under his belt now, hopefully he gets some more with Australia.

I haven’t been impressed with him in his appearances this season but we need to give him and Kamberi the next couple of games to try and get their partnership going again. He needs to get back amongst the goals quickly though.

J-C
12-11-2018, 04:39 PM
This is the bit that makes me question his worth to our current side. We've not got anything like the ability to put chances on a plate for him that we did last year with Allan especially and SJM and DMc. Last year it worked perfect but if the rest of the team can't do what he needs them to do to make him play then should he be in the team?

So instead of having a right go at MacLaren, why not have a go at the people in the team who are employed to create the chances for him. We were very lucky with the midfield from January and they complimented each other plus complimented the strikers also. Our midfield is just not as good as it could or should be, Slivka just hasn't kicked on, Hyndman looks disinterested, Bartley enforces but is limited talent wise, the rest are all wide men, never mentioned Milligan as he's ideal as the DM.

Smartie
12-11-2018, 04:41 PM
I’m not sure how many games MacLaren missed through his injury but I think it was only 3 or 4. He was toiling for form and sharpness in his 6 or 7 appearances before he was injured as well though.

Not having a pre season obviously affected him. He’s got some minutes under his belt now, hopefully he gets some more with Australia.

I haven’t been impressed with him in his appearances this season but we need to give him and Kamberi the next couple of games to try and get their partnership going again. He needs to get back amongst the goals quickly though.

I thought he looked very sharp a couple of times when he came off the bench at ER.

The rest of the time he's been very poor, even when he's started games and supposedly been fit.

It's not been a great start to the season for McLaren or Kamberi, but hopefully they can both kick on now.

B.H.F.C
12-11-2018, 04:49 PM
I thought he looked very sharp a couple of times when he came off the bench at ER.

The rest of the time he's been very poor, even when he's started games and supposedly been fit.

It's not been a great start to the season for McLaren or Kamberi, but hopefully they can both kick on now.

You’re probably right in terms of him having more impact from the bench. He came on and scored against the sheep and won the penalty against Killie. On the flip side, he was dreadful when he started at Perth and Livingston and ended up hooked if I remember rightly.

calumhibee1
12-11-2018, 05:03 PM
So instead of having a right go at MacLaren, why not have a go at the people in the team who are employed to create the chances for him. We were very lucky with the midfield from January and they complimented each other plus complimented the strikers also. Our midfield is just not as good as it could or should be, Slivka just hasn't kicked on, Hyndman looks disinterested, Bartley enforces but is limited talent wise, the rest are all wide men, never mentioned Milligan as he's ideal as the DM.

I didn't have a right go at him, I said I thought he was a good penalty box striker/poacher and the rest of his game could do with improving, especially his hold up play. :rolleyes: If that constitutes having a right go at him then we've got awfy precious. I've said elsewhere we're not good enough in midfield. But this thread is about Jamie Maclaren, not the midfield.

Roxyhibee
12-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Nowt wrong with the Libby Inn mate much better than the nest.

Ahh The Nest, we practically lived in the place from 1976 from the age of 17 for 2-3 years until we discovered burdz and the toon. Still frequently went in for a few pints on weeknights though.

The Libby Inn was a good place to go on a Sunday lunchtime to cure the hangover, then onto The St Clair for a Sunday night sesh.

Many years ago..

J-C
12-11-2018, 05:12 PM
I didn't have a right go at him, I said I thought he was a good penalty box striker/poacher and the rest of his game could do with improving, especially his hold up play. :rolleyes: If that constitutes having a right go at him then we've got awfy precious. I've said elsewhere we're not good enough in midfield. But this thread is about Jamie Maclaren, not the midfield.
But they go hand in hand, a player like Jamie is reliant on midfielders reading his good runs and movement. You cannot expect every striker at our level to do everything, they will always have faults somewhere in their game.
Lennon is the man who went out his way to get McLaren back to form his successful partnership with Flo, it's up to him to get a midfield capable of supplying them.

B.H.F.C
12-11-2018, 05:25 PM
But they go hand in hand, a player like Jamie is reliant on midfielders reading his good runs and movement. You cannot expect every striker at our level to do everything, they will always have faults somewhere in their game.
Lennon is the man who went out his way to get McLaren back to form his successful partnership with Flo, it's up to him to get a midfield capable of supplying them.

Creating chances has been far from our problem this year.

I know we’ve went three games without a goal but I’d exclude the Hearts game as we set up very defensively in terms of the players we played. Against Aberdeen we had three chances in the second half that we should have scored from. Considering how strong defensively they are you weren’t going to get much more than that. St Johnstone was crap all round but in terms of how little we threatened that was the exception this year.

Our midfield is different to last year but creating and scoring hasn’t been an issue up until a week or two back. I think it’s wrong to say they don’t create chances. If anything we’ve created more chances than last year. We just don’t have the same composure or class I n the middle of the park this year but we do create chances most weeks IMO.

Squirrel 1875
12-11-2018, 06:20 PM

A sticky patch caused by his return to the starting 11. Our worst performances this season (Livi away, St Johnstone home and Aberdeen away) he has started. It's like playing with ten men, we need him to contribute. He isn't even bothering making the smart off the ball runs which create space for others anymore. If you watch him he is stood flat looking for the ball and when he gets it he is brushed off of it far too easily.

BILLYHIBS
12-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Jamie Mac came off the bench scored against Aberdeen in the SPFL at Easter Road before picking up his back injury.
At that time we were the highest goal scorers in the League
It has now been three games without a goal
We need to be patient and get Jamie Mac and Flo up to speed and get them and the rest of the team working together and firing on all cylinders starting with Dundee a week on Saturday
We have three winnable games coming up giving us time to gel and rebuild our confidence before facing the OF.

Brooster
12-11-2018, 06:42 PM
At this moment in time he is way below par as are most of the squad. They need to buck their ideas up quickly. They are all capable but not showing it at the moment. Time to step up.

Hibees1973
12-11-2018, 06:56 PM
MacLaren is one of the many players we signed late in the transfer window. Kamberi, Aygepong, Nelom, Mavrias, Horgan were also signed late and therefore did not get proper pre season training. All of them have either been not fit, injured or out of form at some point so far. When we got the players in this season should be under scrutiny.

It is unfair though to single out MacLaren.....time to judge him and the rest of them between now and New a Year when we have 6 home games out of 9.

MacLaren strikes me as a player who could score goals at Easter Road this season ( he did last season) but may be a bit lightweight in away games.

Hibs really need to step it up quickly after the international break. If they don’t we may be in for a difficult time.

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 07:17 PM
A sticky patch caused by his return to the starting 11. Our worst performances this season (Livi away, St Johnstone home and Aberdeen away) he has started. It's like playing with ten men, we need him to contribute. He isn't even bothering making the smart off the ball runs which create space for others anymore. If you watch him he is stood flat looking for the ball and when he gets it he is brushed off of it far too easily.

Total pesh.

Seem to recall seeing him making a great run into the box v Aberdeen where Kamberi could have gifted him a great chance if only he had the vision to have noticed him free ?

St Johnstone was all round dire and MacLaren being gash was the least of my concerns that day. Dire tactics from the manager and outplayed in midfield.

To attribute a sticky patch to Maclaren returning to the team is laughable, you have to be at the wind-up.

Squirrel 1875
12-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Total pesh.

Seem to recall seeing him making a great run into the box v Aberdeen where Kamberi could have gifted him a great chance if only he had the vision to have noticed him free ?

St Johnstone was all round dire and MacLaren being gash was the least of my concerns that day. Dire tactics from the manager and outplayed in midfield.

To attribute a sticky patch to Maclaren returning to the team is laughable, you have to be at the wind-up.

He did make the run for the incident you are talking about, but what about the ball played into the box Kamberi took an air swipe at? Maclaren should have been there to tap it in.

What’s the one common denominator in those three games mentioned?

One Day Soon
12-11-2018, 08:08 PM
A nine page thread not just having a go at one of our two first pick forwards but saying he's basically crap. On probably the leading Hibs forum. After just a third of the season. When he's barely played.

Splendid work.

PatHead
12-11-2018, 08:52 PM
He did make the run for the incident you are talking about, but what about the ball played into the box Kamberi took an air swipe at? Maclaren should have been there to tap it in.

What’s the one common denominator in those three games mentioned?

McLaren was claiming a penalty as he claimed his shirt was being held stopping him from getting to the ball.

In the St Johnstone game he was played as a lone stricken which is not his game.

superfurryhibby
12-11-2018, 09:50 PM
McLaren was claiming a penalty as he claimed his shirt was being held stopping him from getting to the ball.

In the St Johnstone game he was played as a lone stricken which is not his game.

Yep, his shirt was clearly pulled and he was held back. Strange how some folk can cite an incident, yet omit/ erase a basic fact from the narrative. I often can’t find the will power to reply when the agenda gets so in the way of reality.

And yes, Lennon got it hideously wrong playing Mac Laren as a lone striker or partnering him with Boyle ( who has been rubbish these past few games).

JimBHibees
13-11-2018, 06:11 AM
A nine page thread not just having a go at one of our two first pick forwards but saying he's basically crap. On probably the leading Hibs forum. After just a third of the season. When he's barely played.

Splendid work.

Yep absolutely mind blowing.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 06:17 AM
Yep, his shirt was clearly pulled and he was held back. Strange how some folk can cite an incident, yet omit/ erase a basic fact from the narrative. I often can’t find the will power to reply when the agenda gets so in the way of reality.

And yes, Lennon got it hideously wrong playing Mac Laren as a lone striker or partnering him with Boyle ( who has been rubbish these past few games).
Yip! At the time I was shouting at the telly why did he not continue his run and tap it in?

His shirt was clearly pulled. Once again another example in Scotland of poor refereeing.

We pick ourselves up dust ourselves down and go again

The Spaceman
13-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Maclaren is 100% good enough for Hibs and I still think we are lucky to have him. He will start scoring again and all the bedwetters on this thread will look like idiots once more.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 06:30 AM
Maclaren is 100% good enough for Hibs and I still think we are lucky to have him. He will start scoring again and all the bedwetters on this thread will look like idiots once more.

:thumbsup:

Paisley Hibby
13-11-2018, 07:14 AM
For all the people singing the praises of MacLaren, you have to be the only one who thinks this.

It's awful and i'd agree with Calums observation that it's almost non-existent.

Against Celtic when he scored a tap in, I was watching in a bar in Seville . I'd noticed quite early on in his Hibs career that he wasn't particularly keen nor particularly good at getting involved in the events outside the box and suggested a game to my 2 pals that we should move the tab round every time he touched the ball and whoever ended up with it had to pay the whole bar bill. It wasn't particularly eventful as he had 7 touches in total in that game before he was subbed in the 73rd minute.

v Aberdeen in April he believe it or not performed even worse than he did on Friday. He had 8 touches in total and that included a kick off and a very badly taken penalty before getting hauled off in the 66th minute.

Thought not always as poor as this, it's not far off his standard.

"For all the people singing the praises of Maclaren, you have to be the only one who thinks this".

So all of us who do are the only one who does?

Brilliant 😃

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 07:18 AM
"For all the people singing the praises of Maclaren, you have to be the only one who thinks this".

So all of us who do are the only one who does?

Brilliant 😃

Aye! He only needed three touches against Der Hun!

The lengths some people will go to avoid paying their way.

Brilliant! :greengrin

JimBHibees
13-11-2018, 08:27 AM
For all the people singing the praises of MacLaren, you have to be the only one who thinks this.

It's awful and i'd agree with Calums observation that it's almost non-existent.

Against Celtic when he scored a tap in, I was watching in a bar in Seville . I'd noticed quite early on in his Hibs career that he wasn't particularly keen nor particularly good at getting involved in the events outside the box and suggested a game to my 2 pals that we should move the tab round every time he touched the ball and whoever ended up with it had to pay the whole bar bill. It wasn't particularly eventful as he had 7 touches in total in that game before he was subbed in the 73rd minute.

v Aberdeen in April he believe it or not performed even worse than he did on Friday. He had 8 touches in total and that included a kick off and a very badly taken penalty before getting hauled off in the 66th minute.

Thought not always as poor as this, it's not far off his standard.

So you are watching games back to count the number of touches of the ball he has in a game sounds borderline obsessive.

Not nicked your partner has he. :greengrin

Greenbeard
13-11-2018, 08:48 AM
So you are watching games back to count the number of touches of the ball he has in a game sounds borderline obsessive.

Nowt wrong with checking your facts before passing judgement or comment. Some on here should do likewise rather than the usual premature ejaculations.

SirDavidsNapper
13-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Maclaren had had a back injury. They are something that rhymes with "a punt". It's also been stop/start this season. Kamberi has also suffered. Both will come good...again.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 09:39 AM

It's not a particularly time consuming past time to be honest.

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Nowt wrong with checking your facts before passing judgement or comment. Some on here should do likewise rather than the usual premature ejaculations.

Are you saying Bogdan comes too soon for crosses?

:grr:

superfurryhibby
13-11-2018, 09:46 AM
It's not a particularly time consuming past time to be honest.

But still a rather obsessive preoccupation. Did you jot down figures for other strikers for a reasonable comparison?

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 09:59 AM
But still a rather obsessive preoccupation. Did you jot down figures for other strikers for a reasonable comparison?

No because that is time consuming. They regularly touch the ball.

The Green Goblin
13-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Terrible thread title. As for the “all he does is score goals” comments... :faf:

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Are you saying Bogdan comes too soon for crosses?

:grr:

Someone on here suggested Bogdan just gets “bored” and decides he needs to do something.

Could be a flaw in his armoury

Apart from the Hearts faux pas I seem to remember Dazza having to boot one into touch as Stevie May ran past Bogdan versus Aberdeen.

Great goalkeeper but perhaps needs to concentrate and remain focused 100% of the ninety plus minutes

Still edges it over Rocky imho. :greengrin

:tin hat:

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Someone on here suggested Bogdan just gets “bored” and decides he needs to do something.

Could be a flaw in his armoury

Apart from the Hearts faux pas I seem to remember Dazza having to boot one into touch as Stevie May ran past Bogdan versus Aberdeen.

Great goalkeeper but perhaps needs to concentrate and remain focused 100% of the ninety plus minutes

Still edges it over Rocky imho. :greengrin

:tin hat:Lest this thread descend into a kicking for yet another player, my post wasn't at all serious. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Lest this thread descend into a kicking for yet another player, my post wasn't at all serious. [emoji6]

Agree 100%

Hence the tin hat emoji

Let’s get behind the team and everyone that wears the famous green and white jersey regardless of whether they are brilliant great good gash garbage or indifferent.

We are all in this together

HoboHarry
13-11-2018, 10:22 AM
Lest this thread descend into a kicking for yet another player, my post wasn't at all serious. [emoji6]

Think he missed your humour mate - ah well, no happy ending for him.......

CropleyWasGod
13-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Think he missed your humour mate - ah well, no happy ending for him.......I obviously wasn't able to penetrate.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Think he missed your humour mate - ah well, no happy ending for him.......
The wee blue pills work perfectly for me every time 😁

superfurryhibby
13-11-2018, 10:27 AM
No because that is time consuming. They regularly touch the ball.

They don’t.

I looked up some stats and found the whole subject very interesting. I recommend you spend some time reading about possession and how often players touch the ball.

Harry Kane had 459 touches in 39 games last season. He scored 30 goals. As in other areas of life, it’s what you do with it that really matters.

One Day Soon
13-11-2018, 10:30 AM
They don’t.

I looked up some stats and found the whole subject very interesting. I recommend you spend some time reading about possession and how often players touch the ball.

Harry Kane had 459 touches in 39 games last season. He scored 30 goals. As in other areas of life, it’s what you do with it that really matters.

:agree:

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 10:52 AM
They don’t.

They do in comparison to MacLaren.

You'll need to provide me the link to your Kane comparison as i'm a Spurs fan as well and having watched him closely for years and he's a player who's constantly involved. His hold up play is outstanding and those stats say he averages 11 touches a game which seems incredibly unlikely. If you've seen Rashfords goal for England v Spain, he had 5 in that move alone.

A central striker averages between 30 and 45 a game and we aren't talking instances in possession, we are talking actual touches. Kane v Tunisia in the world cup had 33 in what was a relatively quiet game for him.

WestStandWillie
13-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Put the ball in the box and he'll score - punt the ball through the heavens...forget it.

He's badly needing a Scott Allan behind him.

J-C
13-11-2018, 11:14 AM
For all the ones knocking MacLaren for being lazy, what are your thoughts on Gary Lineker 281 goals in 567 games, he was probably the laziest player you've ever seen and I would've loved a guy like that at Hibs, goals win games and MacLaren has 64 in 134 games so far.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 11:21 AM
For all the ones knocking MacLaren for being lazy, what are your thoughts on Gary Lineker 281 goals in 567 games, he was probably the laziest player you've ever seen and I would've loved a guy like that at Hibs, goals win games and MacLaren has 64 in 134 games so far.

He absolutely was not. Lineker like Ian Rush, knocked his pan in. They were constantly pressing.

I don't think MacLaren is lazy, just gash.

I'm now trying to decide whether this comparison with Lineker is worse than the person who compared MacLaren to Aguero yesterday.

HoboHarry
13-11-2018, 11:33 AM
I obviously wasn't able to penetrate.

He doesn't understand international football. If only he could say that he had been given a Dutch Cap in his younger days......

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 11:34 AM
He absolutely was not. Lineker like Ian Rush, knocked his pan in. They were constantly pressing.

I'm now trying to decide whether this comparison with Lineker is worse than the person who compared MacLaren to Aguero yesterday.

Did not compare MacLaren to Aguero.

I said that Aguero gets paid fortunes a week for being the end product worth his weight in gold finishing off moves similar to Jamie MAC you said but Aguero can beat a man has pace hold a ball up good in the air blah blah blah etc etc.

Anyway, Rush had Dalglish laying the ball on a plate for him I remember we had Dalglish laying the ball on a plate for Keith Wright in Alan Sneddons testimonial I seem to remember he made Ted Look world class once again end product

Does it ever cross your mind that you seem to be in the minority in your “Jamie MAC is gash” crusade?

hibsbollah
13-11-2018, 11:38 AM

The bit in bold is just ridiculous. Really? You are really saying he is 'gash'? In comparison to whom? Look at the strikers we've had in the last few years, who our competitors have got, and think about if you really really mean that.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 11:45 AM
The bit in bold is just ridiculous. Really? You are really saying he is 'gash'? In comparison to whom? Look at the strikers we've had in the last few years, who our competitors have got, and think about if you really really mean that.

Gash is harsh. He's good at poaching, just dreadful outside the penalty area.

J-C
13-11-2018, 11:45 AM

Some quotes

Dimitar Berbatov: "You are not going to see me puffing around the pitch. There is a saying in Bulgaria that great quality doesn't require much effort."

"I have watched Gary Lineker never kick a ball in a game and still end up with two goals," said Sir Alex Ferguson

Matt Le Tissier wasn't lazy, according to Saints fans, he was just 'more energy efficient'!

You realise that touching the ball doesn't mean you're doing nowt, like Lineker etc it's all about creating space and being in the right place when it matters, or we could go back to running around looking energetic but being crap at scoring like we've had in the past.

Heisenberg
13-11-2018, 11:50 AM
James Collins knocked his pan in all game, probably had quite a few ineffective touches per game and scored 6 goals in 36 games. Now he’s the definition of gash.

I’d rather MacLaren on the park scoring his 1 in 2 than someone pish like Collins or Curtis Main.

oldbutdim
13-11-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks, I think you've made that clear.
It's also clear that you aint gonna change that view any time soon, so maybe it's time to stop repeating it.

I'm sure any of our players reading your helpful and oft repeated view of his gashness will be inspired to new heights.

:aok:

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Some quotes

Dimitar Berbatov: "You are not going to see me puffing around the pitch. There is a saying in Bulgaria that great quality doesn't require much effort."

"I have watched Gary Lineker never kick a ball in a game and still end up with two goals," said Sir Alex Ferguson

Matt Le Tissier wasn't lazy, according to Saints fans, he was just 'more energy efficient'!

You realise that touching the ball doesn't mean you're doing nowt, like Lineker etc it's all about creating space and being i the right place when it matters, or we could go back to running around looking energetic but being crap at scoring like we've had in the past.

2 great examples for me as Spurs fan.

Berbatov was a lazy *******. Absolutely ridiculously lazy and why he got bombed out at Man U in the end. He didn't even make the squad for their CL Final at Wembley that year and he was their top goalscorer. He still got involved in the play. He arguably did more outside the box.

Le Tissier was a self confessed lazy *******. Played in a completely different position to MacLaren.

Not sure eithers relevance to Jamie MacLaren.

That sounds like a throw away line for Ferguson re Lineker and very harsh. I used to watch playing for up front for Spurs with Paul Stewart, Paul Walsh and Gordon Durie and his hold up play was excellent. He played up front on his own a lot as well like he did in the Spurs 1991 FA Cup win. You aren't going to be able to do that if you can't hold the ball up. He was lightening quick as well and could beat a man. Johan Cruyff used to play him on the right wing at Barca which must have been really tricky fro someone who never touched the ball.

A fine example of him getting involved in the build up play, skinning one of the best Centre Backs in English football history here including a nice wee tap in for the Jamie MacLaren fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyyWxWxkpEU

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 12:09 PM
2 great examples for me as Spurs fan.

Berbatov was a lazy *******. Absolutely ridiculously lazy and why he got bombed out at Man U in the end. He didn't even make the squad for their CL Final at Wembley that year and he was their top goalscorer. He still got involved in the play. He arguably did more outside the box.

Le Tissier was a self confessed lazy *******. Played in a completely different position to MacLaren.

Not sure eithers relevance to Jamie MacLaren.

That sounds like a throw away line for Ferguson re Lineker and very harsh. I used to watch playing for up front for Spurs with Paul Stewart, Paul Walsh and Gordon Durie and his hold up play was excellent. He played up front on his own a lot as well like he did in the Spurs 1991 FA Cup win. You aren't going to be able to do that if you can't hold the ball up. He was lightening quick as well and could beat a man. Johan Cruyff used to play him on the right wing at Barca which must have been really tricky fro someone who never touched the ball.

A fine example of him getting involved in the build up play, skinning one of the best Centre Backs in English football history here including a nice wee tap in for the Jamie MacLaren fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyyWxWxkpEU

Seemed to take more touches in his second goal than Jamie MAC has in a whole game :greengrin

Hermit Crab
13-11-2018, 12:11 PM
James Collins knocked his pan in all game, probably had quite a few ineffective touches per game and scored 6 goals in 36 games. Now he’s the definition of gash.

I’d rather MacLaren on the park scoring his 1 in 2 than someone pish like Collins or Curtis Main.

Yet since leaving Hibs he's played 193 times for Shrewsbury, Northampton, Crawley and Luton scoring 71 goals. He was gash for us though.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Seemed to take more touches in his second goal than Jamie MAC has in a whole game :greengrin

Exactly:greengrin

calumhibee1
13-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Does it ever cross your mind that you seem to be in the minority in your “Jamie MAC is gash” crusade?

I said this elsewhere yesterday so it’s not specifically a go at you because there’s numerous other posters have made similar comments aswell but what’s with the attitude on here that the majority are always correct and if your opinion isn’t the commonly held opinion that you shouldn’t be posting it?

Does it matter that he’s in the minority? Why should it cross his mind? Does being in the minority make his opinion invalid? Would be an awfy boring place if everyone just posted whatever the opinion was that was held by the majority.

There’s another post on this thread asking WI to stop “repeating himself”. He is repeating himself to an extent because he’s replying to all the other posts, absolutely, but the posters on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing and yet that doesn’t seem to be an issue?

cmcd
13-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Gash is harsh. He's good at poaching, just dreadful outside the penalty area.

As was Cummings

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 01:21 PM
As was Cummings

Covered that comparison earlier

oldbutdim
13-11-2018, 01:23 PM
There’s another post on this thread asking WI to stop “repeating himself”.

That's maybe mine.

He is repeating himself to an extent because he’s replying to all the other posts, absolutely, but the posters on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing and yet that doesn’t seem to be an issue?

He's entitled to reply of course. that's the whole point isn't it?
But if you think that repeately abusing a Hibs player - (because "He's gash" is just slating the guy) is the same as folk saying "He isn't" then I have to disagree with you.

It's not a debate or a discussion - at least not one that will come to any conclusion.

I'll bugger off and find a thread that isn't quite so abusive towards one of our players, this isn't for me.

Greenbeard
13-11-2018, 01:24 PM
I said this elsewhere yesterday so it’s not specifically a go at you because there’s numerous other posters have made similar comments aswell but what’s with the attitude on here that the majority are always correct and if your opinion isn’t the commonly held opinion that you shouldn’t be posting it?

Does it matter that he’s in the minority? Why should it cross his mind? Does being in the minority make his opinion invalid? Would be an awfy boring place if everyone just posted whatever the opinion was that was held by the majority.

There’s another post on this thread asking WI to stop “repeating himself”. He is repeating himself to an extent because he’s replying to all the other posts, absolutely, but the posters on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing and yet that doesn’t seem to be an issue?
Have you too not already said as much...said as much....said as much.....as much.....as much.....much
Agree to disagree, as suggested about 23 pages back.
FFS I'm a f***king echo masel now.....masel now.....masel now

SirDavidsNapper
13-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Yet since leaving Hibs he's played 193 times for Shrewsbury, Northampton, Crawley and Luton scoring 71 goals. He was gash for us though.

Was playing at a much higher level when he was with us. Imagine Kamberi lining up against the likes of Forest Green Rovers

SRHibs
13-11-2018, 01:25 PM
As was Cummings

This is a myth. Cummings definitely had the Riordan-esque ability to "create a goal out of nothing", although obviously not to the same degree. I would definitely say Cummings is a better all round player than Maclaren, although he didn't exactly set the heather on fire at The Rangers.

I feel like Maclaren is a situational player. Last season he was extremely useful because we were creating chances constantly, regardless of who we were playing against. This season we don't have that same level of control in the midfield, so when we play stronger teams, the strikers just aren't getting anywhere near the same service. Kamberi adds a lot to the team despite this, however when we aren't controlling the game Maclaren feels like a man down. There's definitely a place for him in the squad, but I don't necessarily know if he should be starting every week.

cmcd
13-11-2018, 01:35 PM
This is a myth. Cummings definitely had the Riordan-esque ability to "create a goal out of nothing", although obviously not to the same degree. I would definitely say Cummings is a better all round player than Maclaren, although he didn't exactly set the heather on fire at The Rangers.

I feel like Maclaren is a situational player. Last season he was extremely useful because we were creating chances constantly, regardless of who we were playing against. This season we don't have that same level of control in the midfield, so when we play stronger teams, the strikers just aren't getting anywhere near the same service. Kamberi adds a lot to the team despite this, however when we aren't controlling the game Maclaren feels like a man down. There's definitely a place for him in the squad, but I don't necessarily know if he should be starting every week.

Obviously I disagree but just my opinion but to compare Cummings to Riordan is very strange

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Was playing at a much higher level when he was with us. Imagine Kamberi lining up against the likes of Forest Green Rovers

That's debatable tbh honest. There are clubs in this league above League 1 level and there are certainly teams below that standard.

I find it difficult to be harsh on Collins as he was one of many players who performed well for other clubs before getting here and then was subsequently ruined by Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas.

He's certainly recovered his career after leaving here.

SirDavidsNapper
13-11-2018, 01:41 PM
That's debatable tbh honest. There are clubs in this league above League 1 level and there are certainly teams below that standard.

I find it difficult to be harsh on Collins as he was one of many players who performed well for other clubs before getting here and then was subsequently ruined by Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas.

I didn't think he was all that bad to be honest. As another poster said, he knocked his pan in for us. The derby goal certainly makes me remember him in a better light.

Smartie
13-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Yep, there is a huge gulf in standard between Celtic and Dundee - a few English leagues worth.

I always thought Collins could have done with being more like McLaren - stay up there and let the rest of them make chances. Sadly that team was so lacking in creativity he tried to do it all himself which ultimately did him no favours.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Obviously I disagree but just my opinion but to compare Cummings to Riordan is very strange

I don't think he was saying he was as good but certainly could create a goal out of nothing. i.e his goal against Sevco where he took a ball in to he feet from a throw, turned his marker with a wee dummy and then pinged it in the corner from 25 yards. Or the numerous free-kicks he scored for us.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 01:48 PM
I didn't think he was all that bad to be honest. As another poster said, he knocked his pan in for us. The derby goal certainly makes me remember him in a better light.

He definitely worked very hard. One of the hardest workers i can remember playing for us.

Even when his form fell off a cliff from the end of December he still knocked his pan in.

Heisenberg
13-11-2018, 02:02 PM
He definitely worked very hard. One of the hardest workers i can remember playing for us.

Even when his form fell off a cliff from the end of December he still knocked his pan in.

Collins might’ve worked hard but he was hopeless. I’m baffled that some seem to be speaking about him in a positive light while calling MacLaren, a striker that actually scores goals, gash.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 02:48 PM

Congratulations Callum you have just lost Oldbutdim with your negative posts slagging off one of our main strikers well played you should be reported to admins! 😂

The Modfather
13-11-2018, 03:17 PM
What a depressing thread, the same handful of posters repeating their positions over and over.

One side appears unwilling to acknowledge any constructive criticism made, the other making some unconstructive and petty points in amongst genuine points. With the rest of sitting somewhere in the middle waiting for the thread to drop down the first page.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 03:21 PM

:tub4:

lyonhibs
13-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Quite incredible that this thread has got to 11 pages. An odd sort of achievement in a way tbh.

Out of interest to the OP, has anyone ever said JM was a "very good footballer"?? He's a very good goal getter, and once that skill - over a reasonable period of time when he's fully fit - can be empirically proven to have waned, I'll get concerned.

Until that time, him and Flo remain my 1st choice 2 up front.

FitbaFolkKen
13-11-2018, 03:38 PM
:tub4:

Ironic considering you've already quoted this.

Captain Trips
13-11-2018, 03:40 PM
MacLaren is a fine player for us.

BILLYHIBS
13-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Ironic considering you've already quoted this.
Underlying thread theme 😁

JimBHibees
13-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Collins might’ve worked hard but he was hopeless. I’m baffled that some seem to be speaking about him in a positive light while calling MacLaren, a striker that actually scores goals, gash.

Yes this thread has taken an altogether bizarre turn James Collins is being praised now, the world has gone mad.:greengrin

Beefster
13-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Won’t someone think of the children if this debacle is allowed to continue?

Can’t we just agree that MacLaren is amazigash?

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Yes this thread has taken an altogether bizarre turn James Collins is being praised now, the world has gone mad.:greengrin

Where has Collins been praised?

stantonhibby
13-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Where has Collins been praised?

'One of the hardest workers i can remember playing for us'....sounds like praise to me.

Winston Ingram
13-11-2018, 04:50 PM
'One of the hardest workers i can remember playing for us'....sounds like praise to me.

Aye ok. 😂

GreenArmyyy!
14-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Sincerely hope Jamie doesn’t ever read this site. Horrendous stuff.

One Day Soon
14-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Won’t someone think of the children if this debacle is allowed to continue?

Can’t we just agree that MacLaren is amazigash?

Some people have come here to bury Mclaren, not to praise him. And not Antony stylee.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Feed the Mac and he will score 👍🏽

The Green Goblin
14-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Totally agree.

RossScott1991
14-11-2018, 12:16 PM

I'm sure he said before he likes to read what fans say about him and his performances. When he re-signed he mentioned about reading fans reaction to him online and social media making him feel loved. Most players are probably partial to sitting down in evening and having a look on the forums every soo often.

I hope Mac stays clear of this one, not been on .net for a significant time but this is a honking thread, the title of it is embarrassing!

calumhibee1
14-11-2018, 12:31 PM

The likes of Ambrose, Stevenson, Bogdan, Rocky.. infact pretty much every player we’ve ever had have managed to cope just fine with parts of their games being criticised.

I’m sure Jamie Maclaren can deal with people saying he’s a very good penalty box striker but that he can’t hold the ball up/link play well. Wouldn’t even be surprised if he acknowledged it as parts of his game he could improve on.