PDA

View Full Version : Collum pulls out of game tonight

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-11-2018, 09:27 AM
Replaced by Alan Muir 🙄

Onceinawhile
09-11-2018, 09:32 AM
If only his father had taken the same precaution.

Alan62
09-11-2018, 09:36 AM
This is what happens when you let the bullies win.

Who'd be a referee? Absolutely thankless task made worse by idiots like The Rangers.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2018, 09:38 AM

:faf:

:top marks

BegbieHSC
09-11-2018, 09:41 AM

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2018, 09:45 AM
I can see another strike looming.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-11-2018, 09:45 AM

:top marks

bingo70
09-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Good, the foreign refs were much better.

H18 SFR
09-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Supported their strike the last time, wouldn't this time, they're very, very, very well paid and frankly incompetent.

I can assure you with the new TV deal they will want even more money.

Ozyhibby
09-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Supported their strike the last time, wouldn't this time, they're very, very, very well paid and frankly incompetent.

I can assure you with the new TV deal they will want even more money.

Happily pay more for refs if it is opened up. Right now it is a closed shop with the majority of our refs coming from the west of Scotland.
We have players in the league from all over the world but refs have to be from Scotland? Not sure how that is legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
09-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Happily pay more for refs if it is opened up. Right now it is a closed shop with the majority of our refs coming from the west of Scotland.
We have players in the league from all over the world but refs have to be from Scotland? Not sure how that is legal?

Do refs have to be from Scotland? I don't think that's a rule.

Alan62
09-11-2018, 10:37 AM

Not sure that's true. Surely a qualified referee could join one of the Scottish referee's associations. Essentially, all our refs must be members of a Scottish association.

The West Coast bias is another matter, based on a mix of population density other demographic trends and, of course, SFA bias.

CropleyWasGod
09-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Do refs have to be from Scotland? I don't think that's a rule.

John Underhill is English.

IMO, that alone made him one of our better refs. He grew up in the south of England, oblivious to the baggage.

Ozyhibby
09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Not sure that's true. Surely a qualified referee could join one of the Scottish referee's associations. Essentially, all our refs must be members of a Scottish association.

The West Coast bias is another matter, based on a mix of population density other demographic trends and, of course, SFA bias.

Strange that as a profession it seems uniquely untouched by immigration?

Alan62
09-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Strange that as a profession it seems uniquely untouched by immigration?

The thing is, it's not really a profession. It's a part-time hobby with very few people who referee making the top grade.

It also takes a long time to work your way up from refereeing kids' games to working through the ranks to the top. In most cases, recent migrants will be too busy working in full time jobs to spend what little leisure time they have reffing kids and amateurs for peanuts.

Add to that linguistic barriers and, the cronyism that undoubtedly exists in the referee associations, and it's a long slow journey to the top unless your name's Dallas.

Carheenlea
09-11-2018, 11:14 AM
This is what happens when you let the bullies win.

Who'd be a referee? Absolutely thankless task made worse by idiots like The Rangers.

No danger has he a “groin strain”. He’s been put in a situation where he has felt the pressure of having undue attention focused upon in will hinder his ability to referee tonight’s game. The statement from Rangers was shameful.

Not In The Know
09-11-2018, 11:15 AM
A corrupt west coast football institution -

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-the-whistle-on-unrest/

J-C
09-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Good, the foreign refs were much better.

Did you see the penalty for Man C the other night, not much better.

09-11-2018, 11:28 AM

:top marks:thumbsup::not worth

Funniest post I've read for a while.

Roxyhibee
09-11-2018, 11:29 AM

The one liner of the year. Brilliant.

Hibs Class
09-11-2018, 11:37 AM

No need for a strike - all that's required is for the SFA/SPL to deal with the statement appropriately

Alan62
09-11-2018, 11:41 AM
No need for a strike - all that's required is for the SFA/SPL to deal with the statement appropriately

Here comes the strike then.

Alan62
09-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Ozyhibby
09-11-2018, 12:22 PM
The thing is, it's not really a profession. It's a part-time hobby with very few people who referee making the top grade.

It also takes a long time to work your way up from refereeing kids' games to working through the ranks to the top. In most cases, recent migrants will be too busy working in full time jobs to spend what little leisure time they have reffing kids and amateurs for peanuts.

Add to that linguistic barriers and, the cronyism that undoubtedly exists in the referee associations, and it's a long slow journey to the top unless your name's Dallas.

You would still expect some already qualified refs from other less prosperous parts of the world to fancy earning £1000 a game and living in Scotland, no?

we are hibs
09-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Alan Muir. Jeezo. Isn't that the fud who had the first leg play off game against falkirk where he saw the most deliberate handball in history and decided to not give anything?

IGRIGI
09-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Savage

superfurryhibby
09-11-2018, 12:50 PM
A corrupt west coast football institution -

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16114571.investigation-referees-blow-the-whistle-on-unrest/

We have an inner circle of almost untouchable refs, dominated by representatives from Glasgow, Lanark and Renfrewshire. Only 3 scottish cup finals ever refeered by men from the Edinburgh association. Virtually no refs making elite level from outside of any of the three weedgified districts mentioned above

The comments attached to the article are even more damning with some from referees operating outside the elite circle showing just how utterly tained by corruption the referees association is, disgraceful accounts.

Read the article folks. They relie on apathy to maintain the status quo.

Alan62
09-11-2018, 12:56 PM
You would still expect some already qualified refs from other less prosperous parts of the world to fancy earning £1000 a game and living in Scotland, no?

No. Not really, for lots of complicated reasons. Here are some.

A grand a game isn't that much if it's your only source of income. Remember it's still subject to tax.

Refs from low value economies are unlikely to have the experience required to ref at our top level.

Top refs tend to have another, white collar, professional career so are less likely to migrate unless their skills are easily transferable.

Senior refs are older and often have families - making migration more complicated.

Even if someone was still determined to cross the Sahara with their family in a handcart and their whistle round their necks, they'd still have to negotiate the complex cronyism that exists in the referee associations before they every got near a big game.

So, no, don't hold your breath for the referee migrants. Nearest you'll get to that will be someone from England or Wales moving with his work to somewhere like Standard Life and transferring into a refereeing environment he already knows and understands.

The 90+2
09-11-2018, 12:58 PM

😃

NorthNorfolkHFC
09-11-2018, 01:01 PM
How much are they paid?

hfc rd
09-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Alan Muir. Jeezo. Isn't that the fud who had the first leg play off game against falkirk where he saw the most deliberate handball in history and decided to not give anything?

Correct, that was the plonker.

TBH, all the refs are s**** so don’t know what difference this one will make

Alan62
09-11-2018, 01:10 PM
How much are they paid?

They get about £1000 a game at the top. English Premiership pro refs get a salary of about £65K plus a grand a game expenses.

Another reason why all those referee migrants aren't heading for Scotland. :wink:

H18 SFR
09-11-2018, 01:23 PM
They get about £1000 a game at the top. English Premiership pro refs get a salary of about £65K plus a grand a game expenses.

Another reason why all those referee migrants aren't heading for Scotland. :wink:

It's just over £1200 now. Hefty 20% more.

Alan62
09-11-2018, 01:37 PM
It's just over £1200 now. Hefty 20% more.

Still not enough to tempt someone to give up a professional career. Nice part-time cash if you can take all the hassle. Also a fairly short career at the top. Collum has been refereeing at the top level since 2006 and is 39 years old. He's still a teacher as far as I know.

It should also be noted that Collum is highly ranked by FIFA and has been on their list since 2006 - as well as being on their Elite list. We may think he's awful but, allegedly, he's up with the best.

Here’s Lucy!
09-11-2018, 02:01 PM

:faf::faf: Eleven out of ten!! :faf::faf:

where'stheslope
09-11-2018, 02:40 PM
How much are they paid?

Far to much, if you ask me.
Around £850 a game plus expenses?
Not bad for a side line job, EH!!!

HibbyAndy
09-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Umm can i be the first to ask WHY he has pulled out from tonight ?:confused:

The 90+2
09-11-2018, 02:44 PM

You aren’t allowed to ask that I’m afraid. I’m going to guess yesterday hun statement has played a part.

SChibs
09-11-2018, 02:45 PM
No. Not really, for lots of complicated reasons. Here are some.

A grand a game isn't that much if it's your only source of income. Remember it's still subject to tax.

Refs from low value economies are unlikely to have the experience required to ref at our top level.

Top refs tend to have another, white collar, professional career so are less likely to migrate unless their skills are easily transferable.

Senior refs are older and often have families - making migration more complicated.

Even if someone was still determined to cross the Sahara with their family in a handcart and their whistle round their necks, they'd still have to negotiate the complex cronyism that exists in the referee associations before they every got near a big game.

So, no, don't hold your breath for the referee migrants. Nearest you'll get to that will be someone from England or Wales moving with his work to somewhere like Standard Life and transferring into a refereeing environment he already knows and understands.

A grand a game isn't that much? 4 games a month and that's 4k a month so around 2.8k after tax.

Hibee87
09-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Apparently picked up a groin injury during Champions League duty.

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Groin strain after a Euro game in midweek apparently 🙄

where'stheslope
09-11-2018, 03:16 PM
A grand a game isn't that much? 4 games a month and that's 4k a month so around 2.8k after tax.

You forgot about about mid week cup games, plus dropping down a league to keep your eye in to help out!!!

eastcoasthibby
09-11-2018, 04:47 PM
I dont think its the.referees that are to blame its the system that allows.them.to continue to make awful decisions without be.accountable or even more importantly learning from them and developing into better refs.! Its the SFA SPFL and referee reps that are.at fault cos they protect the shocking decisions and perceived bias, by not tackling poor performances they let them.carry on being crap ...and thinking they are great !! In England.they dont get away with poor performances because it adversely impacts on the product /game and financial part ultimately, if it carried on, so they deal with it more responsibly and at the time, although they do get mistakes down there its nowhere on the scale of up here ..in essence we allow them to continue to be SH&T£...

emerald green
09-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Out of the frying pan into fire.