PDA

View Full Version : January in Dubai anyone?

scoopyboy
08-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Not seen anything official (or indeed on here) but I have it on good authority that Hibs are going to Dubai from 5th to 12th January. Two games being mentioned.

Sir David Gray
08-11-2018, 11:31 AM
I'm assuming Marciano won't be invited on this trip.

McSwanky
08-11-2018, 12:22 PM
I'm assuming Marciano won't be invited on this trip.

Why?

Bobo
08-11-2018, 12:33 PM
Checked this out last week, we're playing 2 games over there, but it's the dearest time of the year for going.

Was going to cost 3k for two of us without spending money so not going to bother.

flash
08-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Not seen anything official (or indeed on here) but I have it on good authority that Hibs are going to Dubai from 5th to 12th January. Two games being mentioned.

Expensive one for the away season ticket holders.

danhibees1875
08-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Checked this out last week, we're playing 2 games over there, but it's the dearest time of the year for going.

Was going to cost 3k for two of us without spending money so not going to bother.

And you'll be looking for a ticket to Tynecastle I bet. :grr:

Stuart93
08-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Well least we know where McGinn’s transfer fee has went

Hibernian Verse
08-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Well least we know where McGinn’s transfer fee has went

If we're playing friendlies we will be getting paid to be there.

CropleyWasGod
08-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Will there be any fire extinguishers in the hotel?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
08-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Why?

Religious reasons

McSwanky
08-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Religious reasons

Thanks for that. I should maybe have digressed a bit though... I was more interested in why the first comment on a thread about a Hibs game/games was related to a religious issue. Seems a strange leap to me.

scoopyboy
08-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Expensive one for the away season ticket holders.

OMG - Hermit Crab will be along soon.

Hope he's not got a restricted view ticket. :greengrin:wink:

Hermit Crab
08-11-2018, 01:16 PM
OMG - Hermit Crab will be along soon.

Hope he's not got a restricted view ticket. :greengrin:wink:

If I can shift my spare for Aberdeen tomorrow then I'll go to Dubai :greengrin

murray26
08-11-2018, 01:24 PM

The real fans will be there..😊

Mantis Toboggan
08-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Religious reasons

More specifically, the UAE doesn't recognise Israel as a state, which means that it is not possible to enter with an Israeli passport

bigwheel
08-11-2018, 02:04 PM
More specifically, the UAE doesn't recognise Israel as a state, which means that it is not possible to enter with an Israeli passport

I would fully expect a sportsperson, as part of a team, to be able to get entry rights into Dubai for something such as this...they do it for many large sporting events already..

edit...mind you. https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2014/01/06/vitesse-arnhem-abu-dhabi-dan-mori-israeli/4341691/

scoopyboy
08-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Heads up for anyone thinking of going.

I have just had a phone call to state only one game will be getting played and its on Friday 11th January at night.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Anyone running a bus?:wink:

blaikie
08-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Any idea who we are playing?

hibbyfraelibby
08-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Why?

Israeli Passport and a Gulf Arab state?

scoopyboy
08-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Any idea who we are playing?

Not yet mate. No posters up for the game over there?:wink:

McSwanky
08-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Israeli Passport and a Gulf Arab state?

That's been covered, but thanks!

As explained above, though, my "why" was more about why this was the first reaction to a thread about Hibs playing a friendly abroad.

hibeerealist
08-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Aye Bobo and £10 a bottle of beer the place is a joke!

Dont encourage them go to the derby and rest here.

Scott Allan Key
08-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Political, rather than religious reasons, although some don’t know the difference.

Sir David Gray
08-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Why?

Thanks for that. I should maybe have digressed a bit though... I was more interested in why the first comment on a thread about a Hibs game/games was related to a religious issue. Seems a strange leap to me.

It just seems strange that we are arranging a mid-season tour to a place where our current second choice goalkeeper won't be allowed to travel to.

lyonhibs
08-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Place is a dump. One of the best places to be if you're absolutely minted I suppose, but I found it to be a bit of a building site and all built off the back of an army of immigrant labour who are treated little better than slaves.

blaikie
08-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Asian cup is on at the same time, looking forward to this for purely selfish reasons of course 😂!

overdrive
08-11-2018, 05:29 PM

Not just that, even if you have a passport through citizenship of another country, they won't let you in if you born in Israel.

McSwanky
08-11-2018, 07:37 PM
It just seems strange that we are arranging a mid-season tour to a place where our current second choice goalkeeper won't be allowed to travel to.Ahhh, that explains it then. I mistakenly thought it was an attempt to divert the thread into a discussion about the intolerance of the UAE.

My mistake. Carry on!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
08-11-2018, 07:42 PM

I'm driving Pal. I'll pick you up mid December.

Slicer
08-11-2018, 07:57 PM

I have just had a phone call to state only one game will be getting played and its on Friday 11th January at night.

Any chance of this game being behind closed doors?

linlithgowhibbie
08-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Maybe Petries looking for a mega rich sheik to invest?:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2018, 08:26 PM
I'm driving Pal. I'll pick you up mid December.

Make it in the morning, we dont want to risk being late. :wink:

Frazerbob
08-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Anyone chartering a train?

Eyrie
08-11-2018, 10:01 PM
I'd go if there were loyalty points on offer.

CropleyWasGod
08-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Maybe Petries looking for a mega rich sheik to invest?:greengrinMaybe part of the deal is that Lennon goads the crowd into throwing gold bars at him?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Coco Bryce
09-11-2018, 06:42 AM
Very sad to read Hibs going there for the winter break.

Flashy mega bucks image on the outside but on the inside a place with horrendous human rights, barbaric laws one which includes jailing female rape victims rather than the rapist.

Poor show Hibs.

scoopyboy
09-11-2018, 06:56 AM
Any chance of this game being behind closed doors?

Not that I'm aware of.

When I got the call there was no mention of closed doors.

Allant1981
09-11-2018, 07:20 AM

Flashy mega bucks image on the outside but on the inside a place with horrendous human rights, barbaric laws one which includes jailing female rape victims rather than the rapist.

Poor show Hibs.

and what exactly has that got to do with the club? they are going somewhere to train where the weather is decent and they can recharge the batteries, you could pick up faults in almost every country in the world, should we just not go anywhere?

lyonhibs
09-11-2018, 07:37 AM
and what exactly has that got to do with the club? they are going somewhere to train where the weather is decent and they can recharge the batteries, you could pick up faults in almost every country in the world, should we just not go anywhere?

There are faults, and then there are FAULTS if you get what I mean.

Don't necessarily blame the club, but it is one horrible society they are going to, if this is indeed true.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2018, 07:42 AM

Of course every country has its faults but some are particularly worse than others.

Dubai is one of these places that I wouldn't touch, even if you paid me to go.

Coco Bryce
09-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Aye, let's just ignore the fact it's one of the most racist countries in the world that treats it's people, unless they are millionaires with total disdain.

It's goes against everything regarding the morals and respect of our family football club!

Ich liebe Deek
09-11-2018, 08:57 AM

Poor show Hibs.

Also a place where you can leave your door unlocked at night or your phone on a table without the threat of it being chored.Provided your not making a complete twat of yersel on the beer you can also enjoy a bevvy too with no threat of being jumped on the way home.A country in its infancy that of course has teething problems adapting to the multicultural influx but I think you’re being a bit dramatic.You’ll find the exploitation of migrant workers is being carried out by fellow countryman agents.Agreed the law might not be there to protect them but the UAE is not dragging these people here.Perhaps greater women’s rights in their home country would stop the over population and subsequent lack of employment opportunities back home that leads to this situation.

Coco Bryce
09-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Also a place where you can leave your door unlocked at night or your phone on a table without the threat of it being chored.Provided your not making a complete twat of yersel on the beer you can also enjoy a bevvy too with no threat of being jumped on the way home.A country in its infancy that of course has teething problems adapting to the multicultural influx but I think you’re being a bit dramatic.You’ll find the exploitation of migrant workers is being carried out by fellow countryman agents.Agreed the law might not be there to protect them but the UAE is not dragging these people here.Perhaps greater women’s rights in their home country would stop the over population and subsequent lack of employment opportunities back home that leads to this situation.

Aye..

Top Crimes in Dubai (https://gulfnews.com/uae/crime/revealed-top-crimes-committed-in-dubai-1.2169034)

Ich liebe Deek
09-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Aye..

Top Crimes in Dubai (https://gulfnews.com/uae/crime/revealed-top-crimes-committed-in-dubai-1.2169034)

While you’re googling maybe look up the figures and compare them to UK cities or even worldwide.

Cabbage East
09-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Couldn't pay me to go to that hellscape.

scoopyboy
09-11-2018, 10:53 AM
This thread hasn't half opened my eyes.

I had no idea how bad the place was.

I thought it was some sort of perfection.

Allant1981
09-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Aye, let's just ignore the fact it's one of the most racist countries in the world that treats it's people, unless they are millionaires with total disdain.

It's goes against everything regarding the morals and respect of our family football club!

people in our own country are racist, bigoted and sectarian, we treat our poor very badly, so much so that some need food banks. not saying its anywhere near as bad as other countries but where do you draw the line? anyway i hope the players get something out of it

Coco Bryce
09-11-2018, 11:57 AM
people in our own country are racist, bigoted and sectarian, we treat our poor very badly, so much so that some need food banks. not saying its anywhere near as bad as other countries but where do you draw the line? anyway i hope the players get something out of it

Each to their own I suppose.

Coco Bryce
09-11-2018, 12:11 PM
While you’re googling maybe look up the figures and compare them to UK cities or even worldwide.

You obviously love the place. Crack on.

lucky
09-11-2018, 12:14 PM
When is this game going to announce. I really fancy going. Decent flight prices from London.

Ich liebe Deek
09-11-2018, 12:32 PM
You obviously love the place. Crack on.

Not at all.I just felt I could give a different perspective to your view which appears to based on an extreme news story you’ve read.You came back with another newspaper story without substance to counter my claims the city was relatively safe.To then remark that one of the most multicultural countries in the world is also the most racist for me doesn’t stack up so happy to leave it there.At no point have i heralded Dubai as some sort of eutopia.

Mibbes Aye
09-11-2018, 06:39 PM

I was planning on not going to MK Dons-Wimbledon that evening.

It's always the way, things clash :rolleyes:

Coco Bryce
09-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Not at all.I just felt I could give a different perspective to your view which appears to based on an extreme news story you’ve read.You came back with another newspaper story without substance to counter my claims the city was relatively safe.To then remark that one of the most multicultural countries in the world is also the most racist for me doesn’t stack up so happy to leave it there.At no point have i heralded Dubai as some sort of eutopia.

Your missing the point. It was you that mentioned the crime not me. I really don't give a toss if you can leave your phone on a table. But I do care about blatant racism and exploitation of people's human rights and corrupt laws. Its probably the only place in the world where a job application tells you which nationalities should and shouldn't apply.

Jamesie
21-11-2018, 12:44 PM

I see Palestine play Australia that day at 15:00 in the Asian Cup at the Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum Stadium in Dubai. Could be a decent wee double header for any Hibbys heading out this way - cheer on Boyler in the afternoon and the Hibees in the evening!

Heckys Wheel
11-12-2018, 06:22 PM
Did anybody else fancy going over?

1 game is disappointing but it’s a good enough excuse to get over to Dubai and get away from the January weather here.

blaikie
11-12-2018, 06:28 PM
Did anybody else fancy going over?

1 game is disappointing but it’s a good enough excuse to get over to Dubai and get away from the January weather here.

Any idea who we are playing? Not seen any announcements yet!

Heckys Wheel
11-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Haven’t heard anything about the opposition yet. Not sure if we will.

Might take the Mrs so I’ll probably play it as a “chance encounter”.

Scotty Leither
11-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Celtic.

Heisenberg
11-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Celtic.

If we win we get Scott Allan for free.

blaikie
12-12-2018, 04:22 AM
Celtic.

Hopefully not! Celtc have trained in Dubai for the past few seasons during the winter break.

Hopefully a game against one of the local sides such as Al Ain or Al Wasel.

Least it won't be Hearts, they'd be more suited to the Rugby Sevens which has already passed :greengrin!

Ryan69
12-12-2018, 06:54 AM

Why do people get so bum hurt so easy?

Surely its a fair point.

McSwanky
12-12-2018, 07:15 AM
Why do people get so bum hurt so easy?

Surely its a fair point.Bum hurt? What does that even mean?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
02-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Here is thread from about November 2018 about Dubai.