PDA

View Full Version : NHC Celtic boys club

Alex Trager
08-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Surprised there is no current thread on this subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46098908

My knowledge is extremely limited on the subject. But I find it interesting and utterly disgusting. A lot of chat online of how Celtic with their statement on the subject is them shirking responsibility and almost an attempt at damage limitation.

That is not particularly my view as I do not have a decent grasp on the subject. From what I can see Celtic seem to be assisting the police to the fullest extent?

http://www.celticfc.net/news/15222

Admins feel free to move

calumhibee1
08-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Surprised there is no current thread on this subject.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46098908

My knowledge is extremely limited on the subject. But I find it interesting and utterly disgusting. A lot of chat online of how Celtic with their statement on the subject is them shirking responsibility and almost an attempt at damage limitation.

That is not particularly my view as I do not have a decent grasp on the subject. From what I can see Celtic seem to be assisting the police to the fullest extent?

http://www.celticfc.net/news/15222

Admins feel free to move

I don’t know a lot about the set up of the clubs, but are Celtic Boys Club not similar to Edina Hibs and Hibs or Tynecastle FC and Hearts? In other words there is no actual link between the clubs?

Alex Trager
08-11-2018, 10:01 AM
I don’t know a lot about the set up of the clubs, but are Celtic Boys Club not similar to Edina Hibs and Hibs or Tynecastle FC and Hearts? In other words there is no actual link between the clubs?

Not sure mate. I just know that’s what they’re called and Celtic have released a statement.

Hibernia&Alba
08-11-2018, 10:10 AM
A tragic story indeed. Such monsters are extremely cunning and manipulative, taking up careers which give them access to children. They don't become paedophiles only after being around children for a while; no, that's their modus operandi: look for opportunities where they can work with children and betray the trust placed in them.

This story has been around for a long time, and it's good to see the guy locked away. There have been accusations that Celtic failed to inform police after they had dismissed him, but I don't know whether such reports are accurate.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2018, 10:21 AM

It's harder to understand where that line was back in days gone by. Boys tended to sign S forms with a senior club but stay with their boys club until 15/16. Now they are taken out of the juvenile system and brought into the pro set up as young as 9.

In the period mentioned a lot of clubs had links with the best boys clubs in the area. Up until the mid to late 90s a lot of Hibs youth players ex club would read as Hutchison Vale or Edina Hibs and Hearts would have a lot of Tynescasle lads. The links may not have been official and the clubs may have been separate entities but they existed. As one of the victims sisters said if Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club were entirely separate why did her brother regularly play at Celtic Park and interact with Celtic players?

I've only skimmed Celtics statement but I can't help feel they should have been unequivocal in their condemnation. There's no 'gloating' to be had here; child abuse in Scottish football is a story that is going to run and it's unlikely any club will come out looking great.

Alex Trager
08-11-2018, 10:45 AM
It's harder to understand where that line was back in days gone by. Boys tended to sign S forms with a senior club but stay with their boys club until 15/16. Now they are taken out of the juvenile system and brought into the pro set up as young as 9.

In the period mentioned a lot of clubs had links with the best boys clubs in the area. Up until the mid to late 90s a lot of Hibs youth players ex club would read as Hutchison Vale or Edina Hibs and Hearts would have a lot of Tynescasle lads. The links may not have been official and the clubs may have been separate entities but they existed. As one of the victims sisters said if Celtic FC and Celtic Boys Club were entirely separate why did her brother regularly play at Celtic Park and interact with Celtic players?

I've only skimmed Celtics statement but I can't help feel they should have been unequivocal in their condemnation. There's no 'gloating' to be had here; child abuse in Scottish football is a story that is going to run and it's unlikely any club will come out looking great.

Absolutely agree with regards to no gloating. I cannot begin to express how little i think of people who think things like that are worthy of gloating about.

It needs brought to light. And any club found to have employed these cretins - whilst knowing they were up to what they were up to - will hopefully come out and apologise and condemn those who knew about and those who partook in these acts.

Alex Trager
22-05-2019, 12:48 PM
This seems to be reappearing recently.

Not a great deal of media around it which is surprising and disappointing.

ancient hibee
22-05-2019, 05:20 PM

There’s been plenty on Reporting Scotland about it including a piece about Celtic’s moral responsibility.

Keith_M
22-05-2019, 05:28 PM

There's been a couple of articles in The Herald and Record.

There was also quite a sustained chant of 'Paedos' at our recent game against Celtc, sadly

Alex Trager
30-05-2019, 09:39 AM
https://twitter.com/magnusllewellin/status/1133969916766445568?s=21

Celtic continue to not accept blame for the child abuse that happened at celtic boys club.
A continued lack of action as well

ballengeich
30-05-2019, 10:25 AM
There's an article on the front page of The Times today.

I reckon that if Celtic continue to deny any liability or formal link to the Boys' Club there will be a test case in court soon to find out whether the club's position is legally valid.

The thing I find extraordinary is that there's absolutely nothing about the subject on Celtic supporters' sites.

neil7908
30-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Our fans should be staying well clear of any 'paedo' chants but Celtic have handled this appallingly.

Some issues are clearly bigger than football and this is one of where a genuine show of contrition and financial assistance from Celtic was clearly the right thing to do.

I'll be interested in how their supporters see this given how much they love to back oppressed groups like the Palestinians.

Alex Trager
30-05-2019, 11:05 AM
There's an article on the front page of The Times today.

I reckon that if Celtic continue to deny any liability or formal link to the Boys' Club there will be a test case in court soon to find out whether the club's position is legally valid.

The thing I find extraordinary is that there's absolutely nothing about the subject on Celtic supporters' sites.

Do you mean the forums?

superfurryhibby
30-05-2019, 11:10 AM
Many football clubs are culpable and our own handling of some the issues wouldn’t stand scrutiny either. In saying that, there seems to have been a long standing culture of abuse connected to Celtic boys club. Not sure where I stand on any financial compensation for the victims. I believe there is contingency for victims of crime built into the criminal justice system?

ballengeich
30-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Do you mean the forums?

Both forums and bloggers. Either the fans are ignoring what's going on or the admin are censoring anything posted on the subject.

Pretty Boy
30-05-2019, 11:28 AM
I think it's technically correct that Celtic FC and Celtic BC were separate entities.

However there has been clear evidence of strong links between the clubs provided on numerous ocassions. Celtic really should have stepped up to the plate, issued an apology and admitted their failings then tried to work with the authorities and victims to facilitate some kind of resolution.

I've said before that football wasn't and isn't immune to the abuse of power and predatory actions employed by paedophiles. I'd be stunned if the few cases that have come to light in recent years are anything other than the tip of the iceberg. I'd also be surprised if many clubs come out of it looking great. Hopefully others handle it far better than Celtic have though.

Since90+2
30-05-2019, 11:28 AM
I don't know a great deal about this but is Celtic's argument that Celtic Boys Club are a different organisation?

weecounty hibby
30-05-2019, 05:09 PM
It's pretty shameful from celtic that their stance is that cbc was not connected to cfc in any way. I'm sure if really challenged legally that won't stand up. Man City have accepted liability for ANY boys club that was directly or indirectly linked with them. They have also set up a fund to pay victims I believe. Any celtic fan I have spoken to about this also believe that the way the club have handled it is disgraceful.
Sadly this will impact on a lot of football clubs, rugby clubs, cricket clubs, gymnastic clubs, etc etc as well as scouts, Guides, BBs etc. These people know exactly how to work their way into positions to be able to groom kids.
The peado chants and songs need to stop as it is an issue that effects so many clubs not just football and has blighted thousands of lives, and let's not forget Hibs had one of these low lifes working for us in the 80s.

Callum_62
30-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Well I was at celtic BC for years - played tournaments at barrowfield being managed by a pro player for the day (Willie falconer in my case)

Links are obvious

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk