PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Harper

G15 Hibs
06-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Been appointed manager of Albion Rovers.

http://albionroversfc.co.uk/kevin-harper-new-manager/

Tough job. Has he managed before?

wookie70
06-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Been appointed manager of Albion Rovers.

http://albionroversfc.co.uk/kevin-harper-new-manager/

Tough job. Has he managed before?

Hope they are walking in a Harper wonderland soon. One of my favourite derbies.

Colr
06-11-2018, 11:33 PM
Kevin Harper perseveres.

IGRIGI
06-11-2018, 11:33 PM
Future Hibs manager.

The 90+2
06-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Congratulations to a fantastic hibee. He’s the hardest worker I’ve ever met.

The 90+2
06-11-2018, 11:36 PM
Future Hibs manager.

I truly hope so.

Sir David Gray
07-11-2018, 12:00 AM
Good luck to him.

He was in the Hibs team that I can first remember properly watching as a young boy and was one of my heroes.

The_Horde
07-11-2018, 12:15 AM
Reminds me of Agyepong.

Future17
07-11-2018, 06:34 AM
Harper has had a lot to deal with in his life. I hope he overcomes his demons and does good things with his future.

Gloucester Hibs
07-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Scored 2 fantastic derby goals in ‘96 & ‘98

heretoday
07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Hurrah for Harper!

Lago
07-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Loved him as a Hibs player.

JimBHibees
07-11-2018, 01:12 PM

That volley at the dunbar end in the new year game was special. Brilliant goal.

Onceinawhile
07-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Good luck to him.

He was in the Hibs team that I can first remember properly watching as a young boy and was one of my heroes.

Ditto.

On the other hand, he's responsible for a lifetime of me wanting braids. I'm sure I remember the club running a competition to get hair like his in the programme. Does anyone else remember that?

Onceinawhile
07-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Cant have, he only moved to derby in 1998 and only scored one goal for them.

:wink:

Saturday Boy
07-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Cant have, he only moved to derby in 1998 and only scored one goal for them.

:wink:

This should be on the “so bad they’ve good” jokes thread on the Dug Out 😄

CRAZYHIBBY
07-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Loved harper but hated that daft dreadlock hairdo he grew:greengrin......does that make him the first black football manager in scotland ?

WoreTheGreen
07-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Loved harper but hated that daft dreadlock hairdo he grew:greengrin......does that make him the first black football manager in scotland ?

Davy Smith?

Spudster
07-11-2018, 05:33 PM
does that make him the first black football manager in scotland ?

John Barnes

ballengeich
07-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Good luck to him. Albion Rovers have the lowest player budget in the SPFL and it's reckoned the reason they're bottom of league 2 is the calibre of the players rather than any deficiency in previous manager John Brogan, another ex Hibs player (briefly).

CMurdoch
07-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Harper has had a lot to deal with in his life. I hope he overcomes his demons and does good things with his future.

His story is classic underclass. Has been fighting his whole life.
I think this is one fight he can't win.
I believe he has the job because experienced guys won't touch it with a barge pole.

Heckys Wheel
07-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Good luck to him. Albion Rovers have the lowest player budget in the SPFL and it's reckoned the reason they're bottom of league 2 is the calibre of the players rather than any deficiency in previous manager John Brogan, another ex Hibs player (briefly).

I think John Brogsn came from lower junior football and brought a lot of players from that level with him.

Not sure if that’s the level they’re spending at or if he made the classic Jim Duffy mistake of going back to where he came from thinking players could make the jump, e.g Paul Tosh, Lee Power etc

Smartie
07-11-2018, 06:36 PM
His story is classic underclass. Has been fighting his whole life.
I think this is one fight he can't win.
I believe he has the job because experienced guys won't touch it with a barge pole.

Maybe what the job needs is not an experienced guy but someone with a point to prove, nothing to lose, a scrapping mentality and a track record of winning fights against the odds for his entire career?

I hope he's a rip roaring success.

Great wee player, great guy.

CMurdoch
07-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Maybe what the job needs is not an experienced guy but someone with a point to prove, nothing to lose, a scrapping mentality and a track record of winning fights against the odds for his entire career?

I hope he's a rip roaring success.

Great wee player, great guy.

I meant to add that I hope he is a great success.

Bostonhibby
07-11-2018, 07:20 PM
I meant to add that I hope he is a great success.[emoji106]

Good luck to Kevin. Some good moments for a guy that wasn't with us that long.

I'd like to see him do well too.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

beensaidbefore
07-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Hero of mine growing up. Gutted when he left. Remember him being like Ronaldo😂

judas
07-11-2018, 10:02 PM
Always felt he was a little overrated, but I do recall the new year derby goal.

BILLYHIBS
07-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Have that wee miniature HIBS figure of Kevin Harper with the big heid in my drinks cabinet every time I go to pour myself a drink it reminds me of that glorious volley against the Jambos on New Year’s Day always brings a smile to my face

Forza Fred
07-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Lot of the players came direct from Alloa under 21 team I believe.........were always going to struggle

NikGunnarsson
08-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Delighted with his appointment, I live in Coatbridge and run the club's website and social media, so I am ecstatic!
Will be interesting interviewing him tomorrow and trying not to talk completely about hibs😂
He has some job on his hands, the team is build up of alloa u20s and juniors basically.

heretoday
08-11-2018, 12:47 AM
I liked the winner he scored. I think Lavety got the first.

jaf
08-11-2018, 08:14 AM
First game for Harper on Saturday against another manager with strong Hibs connections. James McDonaugh with Edinburgh City who’s done a great job so far.
Harper has his work cut out as Albion are poor, brogan pulled in a squad of junior players and it’s backfired so far. Their budget is tiny mind you.

BILLYHIBS
08-11-2018, 08:22 AM
I liked the winner he scored. I think Lavety got the first.
Yip! Hearts had a genuine chance of winning the title that season and even although we all knew we were going down it was still a great feeling to beat them. I can still remember the disappointed look on David Weirs face :greengrin

One Day
08-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Good luck to him

heretoday
09-11-2018, 02:07 AM
Yip! Hearts had a genuine chance of winning the title that season and even although we all knew we were going down it was still a great feeling to beat them. I can still remember the disappointed look on David Weirs face :greengrin

Weir was always a pompous bassa.

Wilson
10-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Currently a goal down at home to Edinburgh City..

Wilson
10-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Equaliser on half time.

theonlywayisup
22-11-2018, 01:04 PM
BBC article on Kevin Harper here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46224697

Is there still a problem with racism in Scottish football?

Kevin Harper thinks so. Earlier this month, the 42-year-old was appointed manager of Albion Rovers, the club currently bottom of Scotland's League Two. It made him the first black, Asian or minority ethnic boss of a Scottish club since Marcio Maximo left Livingston in October 2003.

"In any other walk of life, if there wasn't a black or ethnic minority in a particular industry or company for 15 years, there would be uproar," Harper says. "Should football be different?"

In this interview with BBC Sport Scotland, the former Hibernian, Derby and Portsmouth winger talks about being rejected for "30 or 40" jobs, being racially abused as a teenager and the pressure of being a black manager.

'Maybe they think there's no point'
Before Brazilian Maximo's four-month tenure, the only black, Asian or minority ethnic managers to have taken charge of Scottish teams were Dave Smith at Montrose, John Barnes at Celtic and Claude Anelka - who appointed himself at Raith Rovers.

The last Scottish government census in 2011 found that 4% of the population are non-white. Yet, at the last count, 6% of the 10,000 registered Scottish FA coaches fell into that category.

Harper, though, remains unconvinced. He estimates that he has applied for between 30 and 40 coaching jobs at all levels of the Scottish game in the past five years but has not once been invited for interview. Only three clubs extended him the courtesy of a rejection letter.

"I imagine a lot of people would get disheartened," says Harper, who has been working as a recruitment consultant for the past five months. "And maybe that's it. Maybe black and ethnic coaches think 'what's the point?'.

"I'm not for a minute saying black or ethnic coaches deserve an interview purely because of their colour. And I wasn't the best candidate in all of those cases.

"But, when you look at CVs, there's a least half of those jobs, in my opinion, that I should have been interviewed for."

'Players are still racially abused'
The most recent accusation of racism in Scottish football was anti-Irish against Hibernian head coach Neil Lennon at the Edinburgh derby last month.

Harper has huge sympathy for the former Celtic boss and insists racial abuse from the stands in Scotland still happens far too often.

"Players still get it. That's a fact," he says. "It's changed a hell of a lot, but we've not come far enough. Are we ever going to have a time when there is nobody in a stand or on the side of a pitch who is going to say something? I don't think so."

Harper speaks from bitter experience. He says he was racially abused by opponents in the professional game but can also vividly recall the bile spat at him from the sidelines in his formative years in the game.

"Any game I went to, I'd be racially abused as a 10, 11, 12, 13 year old," he says. "But I don't believe everyone who says something like that is racist - it's the easy word to come out with. We need to educate people and make them understand that it's unacceptable and I don't think we do that enough."

'This isn't going to open the floodgates'

Harper has done plenty of learning himself over the past 20-odd years.

The explosive, dreadlocked talent who broke through at Hibs, went on to spend nine years in the English second-tier with Derby County, Portsmouth and Stoke City.

He claimed three championship medals in the process and played under managers such as Tony Pulis, Steve McClaren and Harry Redknapp - and alongside the likes of Teddy Sheringham, Robert Prosinecki and Paul Merson.

Those relationships and experiences will inform his managerial style, which Harper describes as "methodical, calm... but I can lose the head at times".

So too will a short stint in the Australian third tier, where he was technical director of a club as well as first-team and under-18s manager - a set up that is likely to mirror the all-encompassing nature of his role with Albion Rovers.

But few of his contemporaries in Scotland's League Two will have the same attention and expectation on them as Harper does. Not that he feels it.

"If Albion Rovers had appointed a white manager, I don't think there would have been the interest. But do I feel more pressure because I'm black? No. The pressure for me is to keep the club in the league," says Harper, who lost his first game in charge against Berwick Rangers on Saturday.

"If I do well, it might help others, but I don't think me being at Albion Rovers or keeping them up is going to open the floodgates for black and ethnic managers to take over, so to speak.

"That said, if one person wants to become a coach or a manager because of me, that's perfect."

Stevie Reid
24-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Didn't realise what a turnaround there had been at Albion under Harper these last couple of months.

When they drew with Berwick at the start of March they were seven points adrift of them at the bottom of the league, having played 27 games, two more than Berwick - they've won four out of the seven games since, and are now five points clear of Berwick, both on 34 games played. They're 19 goals better off as well, so another point and they are safe.

They play Berwick again on Saturday, away from home.

Big_Franck
24-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Didn't realise what a turnaround there had been at Albion under Harper these last couple of months.

When they drew with Berwick at the start of March they were seven points adrift of them at the bottom of the league, having played 27 games, two more than Berwick - they've won four out of the seven games since, and are now five points clear of Berwick, both on 34 games played. They're 19 goals better off as well, so another point and they are safe.

Good to hear. Harper was one of my favourite players as a bairn at primary school. Hope he goes on to have a good career in management. I'll be looking out for their result on Saturday.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2019, 10:49 AM

Not to take away from their turnaround but did they not benefit from the situation with Clyde? I'm sure I heard on the radio at the weekend that the awarding of a 3-0 win to Albion Rovers had all but relegated Berwick.

zlatan
24-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Not to take away from their turnaround but did they not benefit from the situation with Clyde? I'm sure I heard on the radio at the weekend that the awarding of a 3-0 win to Albion Rovers had all but relegated Berwick.

They were still well adrift at the bottom then in the space of one Saturday got the Clyde result turned around in the morning and beat Stirling Albion for their first win in about 4 months that afternoon to make up 6 points.

Stevie Reid
24-04-2019, 11:02 AM

They were still well adrift at the bottom then in the space of one Saturday got the Clyde result turned around in the morning and beat Stirling Albion for their first win in about 4 months that afternoon to make up 6 points.

Cheers folks, hadn't realised that they had benefited from that!

Still chuffed for the wee man anyway :greengrin

zlatan
24-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Cheers folks, hadn't realised that they had benefited from that!

Still chuffed for the wee man anyway :greengrin

If they win on Saturday and assuming they both get pumped on the final day because neither of them are very good then at least he can say it was irrelevant :greengrin

Stevie Reid
24-04-2019, 11:08 AM
If they win on Saturday and assuming they both get pumped on the final day because neither of them are very good then at least he can say it was irrelevant :greengrin

:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Albion Rovers were a bombscare when Kevin Harper took over

A team full of rejects, ageing former pros, junior players and easy pickings for accas up and down the country along with Berwick Rangers for our boys over on the Bookie Bashing thread

Young Manager of the Year!

Smartie
24-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Even the best managers in the world will acknowledge when they get a break or two go their way.

If they'd continued the way they were going and been 18 points adrift then the points against Clyde would have made no difference.

They grafted their way into a position where it did, and full credit to all of them - and especially Harper - for that.