PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Squad

brog
06-11-2018, 02:19 PM
McLeish just on Sky & asked why no Tom Cairney. He answered correctly that Cairney was just back from injury. Unfortunately he then said that Cairney came on as a sub last night, he actually started, & he then muttered something about him being neat on the ball. It was painfully & embarrassingly obvious that he hadn't seen the game. Just a shambles.

The 90+2
06-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Ah isn’t Cairney and not the Bournemouth player the one who can still play for England and keeps bumping the squad?

hibsbollah
06-11-2018, 02:30 PM
It's a decent enough squad, the players id want to see are in there. It's whether he can do anything with them.

Brightside
06-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Steven Fletcher?

Sylar
06-11-2018, 02:33 PM
A decent manager would get that squad of players competing and doing some excellent things. I just don't believe McLeish fits that bill.

Looking at the squad, I'm pondering whatever happened to Ikechi Anya? He was one of the most exciting players I can remember seeing in a Scotland shirt, but he completely fell out of the picture? Not blaming McLeish, just curious as to where he went.

bingo70
06-11-2018, 02:42 PM
A decent manager would get that squad of players competing and doing some excellent things. I just don't believe McLeish fits that bill.

Looking at the squad, I'm pondering whatever happened to Ikechi Anya? He was one of the most exciting players I can remember seeing in a Scotland shirt, but he completely fell out of the picture? Not blaming McLeish, just curious as to where he went.

I think he had a clause in his contract with Derby if he played another game it was going to cost them a lot of money, he then fell out the picture for a bit and they’ve now got a new manager.

I’m not sure if he’s moved on or not yet but I think that was the story. We were linked with him by someone on here last January which is why I looked into his situation a bit.

That was a long time ago though so theres a chance I’m getting him mixed up with someone else.

Diclonius
06-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Ah isn’t Cairney and not the Bournemouth player the one who can still play for England and keeps bumping the squad?

If it's Ryan Fraser, that doesn't make sense as he has played full competitive internationals for us.

Just Jimmy
06-11-2018, 02:59 PM
16 goals at internationally in that squad. 9 midfielders with 1 goal between them.

magic.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

brog
06-11-2018, 03:03 PM

Yes, it's Cairney. Personally I think he's overrated but my Fulham friends say he's by far their best player, not the best endorsement at the moment mind you. The fact is we have a far greater talent pool available to us than Wales, The R of I & Northern Ireland but we fail to produce the results required.

Ryan69
06-11-2018, 03:28 PM
McLeish just on Sky & asked why no Tom Cairney. He answered correctly that Cairney was just back from injury. Unfortunately he then said that Cairney came on as a sub last night, he actually started, & he then muttered something about him being neat on the ball. It was painfully & embarrassingly obvious that he hadn't seen the game. Just a shambles.

I hope the rumours of deteriating health are not true...but he really doesnt seem quite right these days.

lord bunberry
06-11-2018, 04:02 PM
I had no idea he qualifies for Scotland. He’s a real quality player that should be in every squad if fit.

ancient hibee
06-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Rhodes and Anya,Both goal scorers,seem to have disappeared completely.McLeish does not appear well to me any time Isee him on TV.

Here’s Lucy!
06-11-2018, 04:51 PM
I wish McLeish no harm, but he is coming over as a bit of a slaver these days.

Something seems amiss with him.

neil7908
06-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Yes, it's Cairney. Personally I think he's overrated but my Fulham friends say he's by far their best player, not the best endorsement at the moment mind you. The fact is we have a far greater talent pool available to us than Wales, The R of I & Northern Ireland but we fail to produce the results required.

I've heard similar about Cairney but he hasn't stood out much when I've seen him. Given he's playing alongside guys like Sessengon, Schurrle, Seri and Mitrovic though, he must be doing something right if the Fulham fans are saying that.

Allant1981
06-11-2018, 05:28 PM
I had no idea he qualifies for Scotland. He’s a real quality player that should be in every squad if fit.

he has played for scotland already

number9dream
07-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass and McArthur all saying no thanks to a call up. Shows you where international football stands...
It will be interesting to see if Fraser plays this time round. In his defence, he may still be traumatised after being played as a wing-back against Belgium.

JimboHibs
07-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass and McArthur all saying no thanks to a call up. Shows you where international football stands...
It will be interesting to see if Fraser plays this time round. In his defence, he may still be traumatised after being played as a wing-back against Belgium.

Didn't realise Snodgrass & Ritchie have refused to play.

Brightside
07-11-2018, 10:48 AM

This is becoming a real problem. Thats 4 players that should walk into our team and due to Eck they wont play.

CorrieHibs
07-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Michael Devlin 🙈

Smartie
07-11-2018, 11:00 AM
This is becoming a real problem. Thats 4 players that should walk into our team and due to Eck they wont play.

Is it due to Eck?

Or do they not really rate this competition and value their club football more?

Cairney was crap in his only previous appearance, but his pedigree is such that surely he deserves more than one opportunity to impress?

I've always thought that there should be a long way back for players who want to pick and choose when they turn up for International duty.

Diclonius
07-11-2018, 11:02 AM
If a player picks and chooses which international fixtures they want to show up for - especially if they're ****ing competitive ones - they should be banned from selection.

bingo70
07-11-2018, 11:04 AM
I've heard similar about Cairney but he hasn't stood out much when I've seen him. Given he's playing alongside guys like Sessengon, Schurrle, Seri and Mitrovic though, he must be doing something right if the Fulham fans are saying that.

Agreed.

Not sure how many times I've seen him play or how many caps he has but i remember i got a right bee in my bonnet about how anonymous he was in his last cap for Scotland. Think he may have kept SJM out the team that night and it really annoyed me.

I'm approaching the stage of thinking it's probably best for Scotland if we lose these up coming games so we would replace Mcleish. It's sad to see him so far out his depth just now as I think he's probably a decent guy and i'm sure he knows his football, he just shouldn't be our national manager.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
If it's Ryan Fraser, that doesn't make sense as he has played full competitive internationals for us.

Yeah I got Fraser mixed up last week as it was Cairney who can still play for England. Where’s the Leeds captain? Same Leeds that are doing brilliantly?

Lago
07-11-2018, 01:13 PM
:top marks
Agreed.

Not sure how many times I've seen him play or how many caps he has but i remember i got a right bee in my bonnet about how anonymous he was in his last cap for Scotland. Think he may have kept SJM out the team that night and it really annoyed me.

I'm approaching the stage of thinking it's probably best for Scotland if we lose these up coming games so we would replace Mcleish. It's sad to see him so far out his depth just now as I think he's probably a decent guy and i'm sure he knows his football, he just shouldn't be our national manager.

Allant1981
07-11-2018, 01:19 PM

has mcarthur not retired so he can play club football longer? sure i read snodgrass was just back from injury so thats why he wasnt picked

MagicSwirlingShip
07-11-2018, 01:29 PM
I don’t get the hate I’m seeing on social media for McBurnie. He seems to be doing well at Swansea.

Speedy
07-11-2018, 01:29 PM

Not sure they should walk into the team (all have had chances and aren't nailed on starters). I agree it's a problem if lots of players are now rejecting call ups.

bingo70
07-11-2018, 01:38 PM
I don’t get the hate I’m seeing on social media for McBurnie. He seems to be doing well at Swansea.

I think it's because he's been terrible for Scotland and looked well out of his depth.

I'm pleased Fletcher is back in, he's no world beater but he's probably the best we've got available in that position. We've not got a great amount of options in that position so i've no issue with McBurnie being in the squad, i'd hope he's not starting though.

brog
07-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Agreed.

I'm with you on this. I feel sorry for McLeish because I'm not sure he's got the concentration & focus required for the job. He seemed befuddled in the interview I saw & he continually makes inaccurate comments. He said today that "Snoddy is nursing an ankle knock". He seems unaware that Snodgrass has started West Ham's last 3 league games. Similarly he seems unaware of the existence of Liam Cooper, currently captain of the English Championship leaders but he picks the likes of Jack Hendry & Devlin before him. I hope he's ok but i fear he's doing himself & our national team harm by continuing in the role.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-11-2018, 02:06 PM
I think it's because he's been terrible for Scotland and looked well out of his depth.

I'm pleased Fletcher is back in, he's no world beater but he's probably the best we've got available in that position. We've not got a great amount of options in that position so i've no issue with McBurnie being in the squad, i'd hope he's not starting though.

I agree he’s not been great.

International football is a tough one, unless a player makes an immediate impact they are shelved. Cairney seems to have fallen that way too. These guys need experience at International Level if he rates them (which you would think he does or did as they were in his first squads)

McLeish needs to find his best eleven (or fifteen) a system that plays to their strengths, and have the conviction to stand by his choices. Any decent manager worth their salt does this when first in the door of a new post.

CockneyRebel
07-11-2018, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=number9dream;5598404]Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass and McArthur all saying no thanks to a call up. Shows you where international football stands...

McArthur first requested a break from international games so that he could better manage his injury problems but has since decided, on medical advice, that he needs to stop altogether to prolong his playing days.

w pilton hibby
07-11-2018, 03:21 PM

Probably down to the fact he's a self-confessed supporter of the Glasgow football team which plays in blue.

Stokesy's on fire
07-11-2018, 03:39 PM
How has Devlin managed to be called up? Unreal how bad McLeish has ended up.

number9dream
07-11-2018, 05:18 PM

I should clarify that they all have reasons for saying no... Cairney just back from injury, Snodgrass & McArthur managing long-term injury issues, with Ritchie it's described as "personal".
However, all four will be playing for their clubs this weekend and as soon as the break is over. They could play but are choosing not to.
McArthur and Snodgrass have played in just about every club game this season. Cairney has played two 90 minute games since his return as a sub and Ritchie has started the past seven games for Newcastle.
Fraser hasn't missed a league game for Bournemouth, despite dropping out for Scotland for the two Nations League games.

Maybe there are too many international games. It has certainly disrupted our season. And maybe the players are right to prioritise their club careers since that's where their massive salaries (in the case of the English Premier League quartet) come from. It does diminish what it means to play international football though and it does make McLeish's job that bit harder.

supermcginn
07-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Been getting rave reviews every week and part of a defence neither us or rangers could score against recently. The forwards are far more worrying.

Smartie
07-11-2018, 06:25 PM

I haven't heard a bad word said about him performance wise - exactly the type of player we should be selecting.

Jack Hendry on the other hand......

vuefrom1875
07-11-2018, 06:59 PM
McLeish is the shambles....clueless like his second lieutenants McFadden and Grant...

vuefrom1875
07-11-2018, 07:03 PM
I wish McLeish no harm, but he is coming over as a bit of a slaver these days.

Something seems amiss with him.

Correct....think forgetfulness.

vuefrom1875
07-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Because he's not got a clue.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Because he’s rated better than Liam Cooper.

I hope we don’t qualify so this sham ends. I don’t even dislike GGP it’s just ***** the way things have deteriorated him and the National squad. Get Clarke in as soon as possible it’s not rocket science.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 07:30 PM
I haven't heard a bad word said about him performance wise - exactly the type of player we should be selecting.

Liam Cooper?

Smartie
07-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Liam Cooper?

Should be in the squad.

Playing well for a good team.

But not in place of Devlin - as well as.

Does anyone know how Kieran Tierney has been playing at centre-back of late?

brog
07-11-2018, 07:37 PM
I should clarify that they all have reasons for saying no... Cairney just back from injury, Snodgrass & McArthur managing long-term injury issues, with Ritchie it's described as "personal".
However, all four will be playing for their clubs this weekend and as soon as the break is over. They could play but are choosing not to.
McArthur and Snodgrass have played in just about every club game this season. Cairney has played two 90 minute games since his return as a sub and Ritchie has started the past seven games for Newcastle.
Fraser hasn't missed a league game for Bournemouth, despite dropping out for Scotland for the two Nations League games.

Maybe there are too many international games. It has certainly disrupted our season. And maybe the players are right to prioritise their club careers since that's where their massive salaries (in the case of the English Premier League quartet) come from. It does diminish what it means to play international football though and it does make McLeish's job that bit harder.

Cairney didn't say no, he wasn't selected. As I said in the OP, McLeish was unaware that Cairney started on Monday night. He also admitted he hadn't spoken with Cairney. As for Liam Cooper I'm not convinced McLeish knows he's Scottish.

nellio
07-11-2018, 07:41 PM

There is no way you have a better pool of players than Wales.

Bale, Ramsey, Williams, Hennessy, Brooks, Davies, Vokes, Ampadu, Lawrence, Woodburn.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Should be in the squad.

Playing well for a good team.

But not in place of Devlin - as well as.

Does anyone know how Kieran Tierney has been playing at centre-back of late?

Fair point but if it was one of the two it would be Cooper along with that over rated other sheepie in my opinion.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 07:44 PM
There is no way you have a better pool of players than Wales.

Bale, Ramsey, Williams, Hennessy, Brooks, Davies, Vokes, Ampadu, Lawrence, Woodburn.

First two and Woodburn perhaps but the rest??

nellio
07-11-2018, 07:59 PM
First two and Woodburn perhaps but the rest??

Pretty much all premier league players. All the rest of our squad play in the championship.

Joe Allan, Harry Wilson, Chester, Dummett missed those lads off too.

I can't see how Scotland have a better pool of players.

Not trying to start an argument as I'm actually a big supporter of Scotland living here and no doubt Scotland should be doing better than they are but I just can't agree you have a better pool of players.

Vault Boy
07-11-2018, 08:35 PM

Devlin is a good player. Would have him over Henry or Mulgrew at CB any day.

brog
07-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Pretty much all premier league players. All the rest of our squad play in the championship.

Joe Allan, Harry Wilson, Chester, Dummett missed those lads off too.

I can't see how Scotland have a better pool of players.

Not trying to start an argument as I'm actually a big supporter of Scotland living here and no doubt Scotland should be doing better than they are but I just can't agree you have a better pool of players.

There are more than 50 players qualified for Scotland playing in the top 2 English divisions. Then theres the Scottish based players. Although Wales obviously have players of greater quality in Bale & Ramsey i doubt they have the same depth as is available to Scotland.

nellio
07-11-2018, 09:21 PM
There are more than 50 players qualified for Scotland playing in the top 2 English divisions. Then theres the Scottish based players. Although Wales obviously have players of greater quality in Bale & Ramsey i doubt they have the same depth as is available to Scotland.

A fair point. I think our younger players are superb though especially ampadu and Brooks. Future looking decent for us.

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Rhodes and Anya,Both goal scorers,seem to have disappeared completely.McLeish does not appear well to me any time Isee him on TV.

Anya has scored 28 goals in his 14 years as a pro. Not exactly a “goal scorer”.

brog
07-11-2018, 09:53 PM
A fair point. I think our younger players are superb though especially ampadu and Brooks. Future looking decent for us.

I agree, glad Brooks chose Wales!!

Smartie
07-11-2018, 10:03 PM
Who is Brooks?

It's mad that teams like Wales and England (Chilwell) have players playing for them that I've never even heard of.

brog
07-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Who is Brooks?

It's mad that teams like Wales and England (Chilwell) have players playing for them that I've never even heard of.

Young lad, plays for Bournemouth.

nellio
07-11-2018, 11:48 PM
Young lad, plays for Bournemouth.

Really lively attacking player. Keep an eye on ampadu when he goes back to Chelsea. They've just given him a new deal.

SteveHFC
09-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Jamie Macdonald called up now.

We are really struggling for players :faf:

JimboHibs
10-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Callum Patterson must be worthy of a call-up ?

The 90+2
10-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Callum Patterson must be worthy of a call-up ?

GGP will probably call up Brian Graham instead.

The Modfather
10-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Jamie Macdonald called up now.

We are really struggling for players :faf:

Jamie Macdonald is a decent keeper. Not much different to Stevenson’s call up IMO. Someone playing well and probably deserving of a cap but unlikely to get more than one or two caps.

Folk seem to either moan about just picking Old Firm or English based players or they moan about picking players playing well for a team doing well in Scotland.