PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Smith on sportsound.

we are hibs
05-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Incredible. Absolutely astonishing claiming boyd celebration yesterday was okay because he "didn't go off the pitch" but Lennon was in the wrong because he was in his technical area.. what?

James310
05-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Listening to it now. Can anyone upload Kris Boyds celebration on Saturday in front of the Aberdeen fans which Smith says is a 'laugh' and good fun.

Michael Stewart can't believe what Gordon Smith is saying and rightly calling him out.

Winston Ingram
05-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Incredible. Absolutely astonishing claiming boyd celebration yesterday was okay because he "didn't go off the pitch" but Lennon was in the wrong because he was in his technical area.. what?

I still can’t believe that idiot was once in charge of SFA. He always has been a slavering idiot.

TheGreenMan
05-11-2018, 06:10 PM
I still can’t believe that idiot was once in charge of SFA. He always has been a slavering idiot.

*slavering hun idiot

Famous Fiver
05-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Bellend.

This is the man who describes Rangers sectarian anthems as folk songs.

Says it all about him really.

truehibernian
05-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Ex SFA CEO who is on record saying there is an anti-The Rangers agenda in Scotland - what on earth do you expect?

Golden Bear
05-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but yes, his goal celebration was funny. I cant see anyone being "offended" by that surely.

Bishop Hibee
05-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Smith is a triumph of style over substance. I've never liked him since he turned Kenny Miller's head and he left Hibs far too young.

Mick O'Rourke
05-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Good on Michael Stewart for making sensible and correct comments on all this.

The programme producer should have a word with him/herself for even suggesting this should be a topic of debate.

It is only because Neil is the subject matter this is being discussed.

Its all about Lennon, eh ?

Smith is painting himself into a corner here.

As Oliver Hardy used to say !;)

Was it ever thus !

James310
05-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but yes, his goal celebration was funny. I cant see anyone being "offended" by that surely.

I think everyone agrees, but point is why is Neil Lennons behaviour outrageous and provoking the fans but Kris Boyds is nothing more than a laugh and a joke.

Ozyhibby
05-11-2018, 06:17 PM

Have to agree. No harm in what Boyd done there. Just like there was no harm in Lennon laughing at the yams. Or Hartley or Skacel winding us up. It’s part of the game and it would be less without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz

I thought it was brilliant. Fans dish it out, got to take it back
He did it to us last season too

Blaster
Have to agree. No harm in what Boyd done there. Just like there was no harm in Lennon laughing at the yams. Or Hartley or Skacel winding us up. It’s part of the game and it would be less without it.

Spot on Ozy

we are hibs
05-11-2018, 06:45 PM

That's not the point and you know it.

Future17
05-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Did they talk about Boyd's dive?

Joe6-2
05-11-2018, 06:49 PM

I think he made a complete twat of himself, didn’t have to do it for so long

WoreTheGreen
05-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Did they talk about Boyd's dive?

Or his hair

murray26
05-11-2018, 06:53 PM

Do you think the Aberdeen fans found it funny..?

where'stheslope
05-11-2018, 06:54 PM
I felt Boyd was just mimicing what McCoist used to do after scoring goals, terraces called him a fat B*****D and he did the big belly dance to show them!!!!

What I think was stupid was doing it right in front of the away fans ala Morellos on Saturday!!

The point is, would they do it in front of Celtic or Rangers fans?

It could cause extreme bother and much as celebrating goals, taunting the other teams support is not always a good idea!!!

Gatecrasher
05-11-2018, 06:55 PM
I thought Boyds celebration was hilarious as was Lennon sticking it to the jambos.

Not In The Know
05-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Thats the POINT!

it is funny and so was Lennon telling the Jumbos to sit down.

It exposes the utter drivel Neil has had to put up with this week folk saying he brought it on himself...

Smith actually said Boyds was ok and Neils not.

This country does have a huge problem and that AR5e of a man didnt even realise he was highlighting it.

silverhibee
05-11-2018, 07:03 PM

His celebration was funny but still seen as goading the Dons fans by claiming he is a fatty, didn't see any coins being thrown at him though, dons fans gave abuse to Boyd for being fat, he taunted them after he scored, bit banter.

Michael
05-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Maybe? I found it a bit funny when guys like Nade would go OOT celebrating in front of us.

Golden Bear
05-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Well yes, the vast majority probably did.

JimboHibs
05-11-2018, 07:21 PM

Yes .... would it have upset you ?

Gatecrasher
05-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Both he and Nade done similar to us, it's just banter at the end of the day. He gets it tight most weeks,hes entitled to give some back.

murray26
05-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Yes .... would it have upset you ?

Not me personally I think there would have to be something wrong with you to be overly upset.. I was only asking the question.. my point is that it is no different from what Lennon done with some different views on his antics..

hibsbollah
05-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Thats the POINT!

it is funny and so was Lennon telling the Jumbos to sit down.

It exposes the utter drivel Neil has had to put up with this week folk saying he brought it on himself...

Smith actually said Boyds was ok and Neils not.

This country does have a huge problem and that AR5e of a man didnt even realise he was highlighting it.

:agree:
When you want to look at the embodiment of what's wrong with our game you just have to look at the fact that the likes of Gordon Smith are involved in it.

tamig
05-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Listening to it now. Can anyone upload Kris Boyds celebration on Saturday in front of the Aberdeen fans which Smith says is a 'laugh' and good fun.

Michael Stewart can't believe what Gordon Smith is saying and rightly calling him out.

Mikey was superb tonight.

Aldo
05-11-2018, 08:21 PM
The bitterness and seethe still strong then Gordon?

Keith_M
05-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Bellend.

:agree:

A few years back, when the sectarian bigotry at his beloved Rangers was being discussed on TV, he downright refused to accept that any of those bigots' repertoire was sectarian. He actually got quite touchy having to even discuss the subject.

He's a very good illustration of how deep rooted sectarianism is, and difficult to it would be to remove, in large parts of the Scottish establishment (especially in the west).

jakedance
05-11-2018, 08:32 PM
I heard this on my way to play fives tonight. The man is an idiot. It was classic victim blaming. The same logic that reasons that girls in short skirts are ‘asking for it’. The fact he was Chief Executive of the SFA tells you all you need to know about why Scottish football will always be in the dark ages.

jacomo
05-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Bellend.

This is the man who described the exuberant scenes at Hampden in 2016 as “much, much worse” than the 1980 Cup Final riot.

5 minutes on You Tube will clear that lie up.

Dashing Bob S
06-11-2018, 12:32 AM
This continuing presence of this hun nonentity is a decent summary of everything that is horrible and corrupt abut Scottish football. He weaves in and out of jobs from agent, administrator, PFA rep, pundit and hun spokesman with nobody ever mooting any concept of a conflict of interest.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-11-2018, 03:34 AM
This continuing presence of this hun nonentity is a decent summary of everything that is horrible and corrupt abut Scottish football. He weaves in and out of jobs from agent, administrator, PFA rep, pundit and hun spokesman with nobody ever mooting any concept of a conflict of interest.

Add Preston into that conflict of interest as joint pundit and agent. Always astounded me that Smith and the like we’re able to hold joint positions.

Brizo
06-11-2018, 05:29 AM
Old school hun with old school hun "values".

His apologist agenda for all things Sevco sums up everything that's wrong with Scottish football.

The Harp Awakes
06-11-2018, 06:14 AM
Old school hun with old school hun "values".

His apologist agenda for all things Sevco sums up everything that's wrong with Scottish football.

Yup, and the BBC are still giving dinosaurs like Smith air time to spout their dogma.

Geo_1875
06-11-2018, 06:55 AM
Yup, and the BBC are still giving dinosaurs like Smith air time to spout their dogma.

They have a list of pet pundits on speed-dial for whenever the union needs defending. Not surprised that people like Smith and Les Gray are the go to guys when the Fenians get uppity.

CallumLaidlaw
06-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Was speaking to another parent at my sons training last night and he was saying how trouble follows Lennon around. I asked why it didn’t follow him to England. No answer. I asked why Lennon was viewed as goading but Boyd was viewed as banter... he replied “ah well the Aberdeen fans had been calling him a fat B the whole game”. I said, so you think Lennon hadn’t been getting any abuse for 90 minutes? No reply.

SirDavidsNapper
06-11-2018, 07:40 AM
A Rangers supporting ex Kilmarnock player. Shock.

Kato
06-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Was speaking to another parent at my sons training last night and he was saying how trouble follows Lennon around. I asked why it didn’t follow him to England. No answer. I asked why Lennon was viewed as goading but Boyd was viewed as banter... he replied “ah well the Aberdeen fans had been calling him a fat B the whole game”. I said, so you think Lennon hadn’t been getting any abuse for 90 minutes? No reply.

The refusal of the nation to address the problem in a nutshell.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Shameful that this arse was ever in charge of the SFA.

Totally irresponsible words from him after everything that has gone on over the past few days.

Not In The Know
06-11-2018, 08:24 AM
On Sportsound the lead presenter again mentioned Paul Mitchell (match commentator) having to repeatedly apologise for the foul and abusive language during the match commentary.

I really do wish this could be aired to prove what Lennon has to put up with constantly.

Does anyone have it, should the club request it?

PatHead
06-11-2018, 08:36 AM
On Sportsound the lead presenter again mentioned Paul Mitchell (match commentator) having to repeatedly apologise for the foul and abusive language during the match commentary.

I really do wish this could be aired to prove what Lennon has to put up with constantly.

I think Hibs should warn clubs that if their supporters indulge in sectarian singing or abuse at Easter Road, no tickets will be offered for their next visit.

This would show that it is unacceptable, highlight the problem and support our manager.

Kato
06-11-2018, 09:00 AM

The BBC will have it. If it's the correct configuration they may even be able to play the crowd sound without the commentary. I heard it. Constant abuse for the few minutes it took to restart the game with most common words being "fenian", "Irish", "Ginger" followed by whatever swear word they thought suitable. The BBC apologised for the language at least 3 times.

makaveli1875
06-11-2018, 09:26 AM
How many times has Boyd ran right up to the hibs fans at E.R giving it the get it right up you . He gets the fat ******* chants , inevitably scores then winds us up . Its banter , nobody pelts him with coins and its never metioned in the papers.

Lennon gets worse abuse than boyd , does the same banter and gets folk swinging punches and throwing **** at him . It ends up making headlines and ********s come out and say he's asking for it

green day
06-11-2018, 09:50 AM
How many times has Boyd ran right up to the hibs fans at E.R giving it the get it right up you . He gets the fat ******* chants , inevitably scores then winds us up . Its banter , nobody pelts him with coins and its never metioned in the papers.

Lennon gets worse abuse than boyd , does the same banter and gets folk swinging punches and throwing **** at him . It ends up making headlines and ********s come out and say he's asking for it

All true.

But he brings it on himself.

Nobody else does what he does.

It's not because he's Catholic.

At all........

SuperAllyMcleod
06-11-2018, 10:18 AM
One of the things that seems to have escaped the media in this case is where the coin came from.

Behind the dug outs is the press area - I’m going to discount them as a source of the coin!

Behind the press? Directors box - probably unlikely - and the corporate seats - which seems the most likely to me.

So it’s not one of the ‘young guys who doesn’t know any better’ it’s someone who is probably seen as fairly respectable and can afford to splash out on hospitality - as well as an extra pound to launch at the opposition manager!

Hibiza
06-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Gordon Smith , talks crap all the time . How he gets on that show is ridic :sairhead:

Carheenlea
06-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Bang on the money Bob.

The 90+2
06-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Gordon Smith , talks crap all the time . How he gets on that show is ridic :sairhead:

To be Michael Stewart’s pet and make Packie Bonner seem intelligent?

Carheenlea
06-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Couldn’t believe what I was hearing when Smith suggested that Lennon should just accept that he’s going to receive sectarian abuse in Scottish football grounds and just get on with it.
Know your place Neil.

tamig
06-11-2018, 06:18 PM
Couldn’t believe what I was hearing when Smith suggested that Lennon should just accept that he’s going to receive sectarian abuse in Scottish football grounds and just get on with it.
Know your place Neil.

I know. Mikey made him look like the dinosaur that he is though. Really showed him up.

Mick O'Rourke
06-11-2018, 07:09 PM
It seems that Neil's "elephant in the room" interview and the comments from James McClean have not gone unnoticed.
Just read this article in the Scotsman

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/campaigners-urge-sfa-to-take-robust-approach-to-anti-irish-abuse-1-4825462

EH54
06-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Boyds celebration might have been funny but if your behind that goal and Hibs have just went a goal down, there is a good chance your going to get a bit excited..especially after a few beers..but inciting trouble? same as lennon done for me. They get stick so entitled to give it back. All adds to the occasion. Wouldn't throw anything at them like, but give them a few choice words back, that's what it's all about. The inciting trouble stuff is nonsense.

hibbyfraelibby
06-11-2018, 07:56 PM

The fact he is a slavering idiot made him highly qualified to lead the GFA

neil7908
06-11-2018, 09:04 PM
What an embarrassment the media and football authorities in this country are.

Gordon Smith should be nowhere near a microphone or position of authority.

This country really is a backward, corrupt place at times.

hibbymac
06-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Kris Boyd, dances about, does the "loser" sign on his forehead, laughing at/goading the Aberdeen fans and it's all a bit of fun.

Morelos scores against st. Mirren, runs past his own fans to slide on his knees and sticking his tongue out right in front of the St Mirren fans,... not a peep about that.

Neil Lennon turns to the Hearts fans laughing, with his arms outstretched and now he is the one who "nearly starts a riot" and should really behave himself.

Not saying what Boyd or Morelos did were hanging offences, just the double standards with some of these so called commentators and pundits (and ex police) sticks in the throat a bit. :fuming:

Kato
06-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Know your place Neil.

Its been the natural order for people like Smith in Scotland for centuries.

Theirs a part in the broadcast where Mikey Smith alludes to how difficult it would be for any commentator to make comments on sectarianism. Maybe it'll take C4 to unveil what goes on in Scottish football culture.

proud_and_green
06-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Kris Boyd, dances about, does the "loser" sign on his forehead, laughing at/goading the Aberdeen fans and it's all a bit of fun.

Morelos scores against st. Mirren, runs past his own fans to slide on his knees and sticking his tongue out right in front of the St Mirren fans,... not a peep about that.

Neil Lennon turns to the Hearts fans laughing, with his arms outstretched and now he is the one who "nearly starts a riot" and should really behave himself.

Not saying what Boyd or Morelos did were hanging offences, just the double standards with some of these so called commentators and pundits (and ex police) sticks in the throat a bit. :fuming:

Very good post.

NAE NOOKIE
07-11-2018, 12:14 AM
Know your place Neil.

I haven't heard the broadcast in question. But if a man who was at one time in charge of the SFA even tacitly suggested that anybody in Scottish football should just 'accept' sectarian abuse then that is incredible. Does he still have connections with football in any capacity EG as an agent? … If the answer is yes then I'm sure the SFA have the power to drag him into their Hampden offices and ask him to explain himself. As usual they wont.

Players and match officials getting hit by objects has been 'part of the game' for decades … would Smith suggest that players and officials should just accept that and get on with it?

Is it any wonder that we have been unable to eradicate sectarianism when morons like that are treated as authorities on the game and allowed onto mass media to spout utter pish :bitchy:

poolman
07-11-2018, 01:21 AM
I haven't heard the broadcast in question. But if a man who was at one time in charge of the SFA even tacitly suggested that anybody in Scottish football should just 'accept' sectarian abuse then that is incredible. Does he still have connections with football in any capacity EG as an agent? … If the answer is yes then I'm sure the SFA have the power to drag him into their Hampden offices and ask him to explain himself. As usual they wont.

Players and match officials getting hit by objects has been 'part of the game' for decades … would Smith suggest that players and officials should just accept that and get on with it?

Is it any wonder that we have been unable to eradicate sectarianism when morons like that are treated as authorities on the game and allowed onto mass media to spout utter pish :bitchy:

Its because Smith is a fine upstanding chap as he said he was subject of abuse at Darkheid calling him a Proddy this and that but he just ignored it

Total bellend of a man

hibsbollah
07-11-2018, 07:08 AM

He's got no formal connection to the game anymore. Ayrshire Hun, ex Rangers player , decent career, manages to climb the greasy pole to become SFA chief executive for three years where he opines that there is an 'anti Rangers agenda's in Scottish football, and also thinks Lennon should just get on with it when confronted with sectarianism.

It's pretty clear who and what Smith is . He might even be the Grand Wizard or whatever they call themselves.

JimBHibees
07-11-2018, 07:11 AM
He's got no formal connection to the game anymore. Ayrshire Hun, ex Rangers player , decent career, manages to climb the greasy pole to become SFA chief executive for three years where he opines that there is an 'anti Rangers agenda's in Scottish football, and also thinks Lennon should just get on with it when confronted with sectarianism.

It's pretty clear who and what Smith is . He might even be the Grand Wizard or whatever they call themselves.

He was also director of football under Craig Whyte at Rangers for a spell.

hibsbollah
07-11-2018, 07:13 AM
He was also director of football under Craig Whyte at Rangers for a spell.

See, 'grand wizard' right there :agree:

Gaffer1875
07-11-2018, 08:29 AM
I’d love to see Michael Stewart involved in some kind of role within the SFA, pretty sure he would put a few things right.

Smartie
07-11-2018, 08:32 AM

If only he had a f*****g wand he might have been able to do something to stop us winning the 2016 cup final.

PatHead
07-11-2018, 08:35 AM
I’d love to see Michael Stewart involved in some kind of role within the SFA, pretty sure he would put a few things right.

I don’t think any one person can make a massive difference. The problem lies with everything being done by committee.

They all protect their own little empires.

SirDavidsNapper
07-11-2018, 09:21 AM
I don’t think any one person can make a massive difference. The problem lies with everything being done by committee.

They all protect their own little empires.

Spot on. If it was left to one person to organise and oversee then there's a woman at Easter Road who would be absolutely perfect for the role. I hope that never happens.

JimBHibees
07-11-2018, 10:29 AM

:stirrer::halowitch: :greengrin

ancient hibee
07-11-2018, 01:42 PM

Also went bankrupt.

jdships
07-11-2018, 03:05 PM
i was in his company at a Charity Dinner a couple of years ago when he claimed Rangers Sectarian songs were " Folk Songs"
Some of those who were present hadhad a few Swallies and argurd with him
He dfended his point for almost fifteen minutes , by which time I had moved on out of disgust
It was simply a matter of trying to defend the indefensible . sad and almost cringeworthy
No respect for him as a person am sorry to say
i am not of any religious leaning , gave up forty years ago and am now a Humanist
:flag:

hibsbollah
07-11-2018, 03:19 PM
Also went bankrupt.

Haha. Serves him right. **** you, Gandalf:witch::giruy2:

Mick O'Rourke
07-11-2018, 03:33 PM
i was in his company at a Charity Dinner a couple of years ago when he claimed Rangers Sectarian songs were " Folk Songs"
Some of those who were present hadhad a few Swallies and argurd with him
He dfended his point for almost fifteen minutes , by which time I had moved on out of disgust
It was simply a matter of trying to defend the indefensible . sad and almost cringeworthy
No respect for him as a person am sorry to say
i am not of any religious leaning , gave up forty years ago and am now a Humanist
:flag:

He was half correct
"Folk the Fenian songs", he likely meant !

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Not exactly on the same message but I once asked him politely at a BP garage in Stepps if he could move his large black Range Rover forwards a wee bit to let me fill up, and he asked me did I know who he was.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 06:20 PM

He’s absolutely no interest in pursuing that unfortunately.

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Not exactly on the same message but I once asked him politely at a BP garage in Stepps if he could move his large black Range Rover forwards a wee bit to let me fill up, and he asked me did I know who he was.

Did you reply, “aye, a ****er with a big car”?

The 90+2
07-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Its because Smith is a fine upstanding chap as he said he was subject of abuse at Darkheid calling him a Proddy this and that but he just ignored it

Total bellend of a man

Yep. He claimed he was subjected to abuse 25 years ago and managed to not reply so Lennon should at every match he almost managed in this day and age. Imagine the uproar if Smith was black and said he got abuse 25 years ago so someone else should just take it now.

I hate the sectarian **** from both them and Celtic and the rest but they do have an attitude of people should know their place and accept it. Meanwhile it will be the same people that are saying there’s no issue and ignore it that will be trying to rigorously get Celtic done for the sex abuse scandals using child abuse as some kind of sick point scoring.

Paisley Hibby
07-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Did anybody ask Smith how he feels about missing that last minute sitter in the FA Cup final (then going on to lose the replay?) :wink:

Guaranteed to make him lose it....

PatHead
07-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Yep. He claimed he was subjected to abuse 25 years ago and managed to not reply so Lennon should at every match he almost managed in this day and age. Imagine the uproar if Smith was black and said he got abuse 25 years ago so someone else should just take it now.

I hate the sectarian **** from both them and Celtic and the rest but they do have an attitude of people should know their place and accept it. Meanwhile it will be the same people that are saying there’s no issue and ignore it that will be trying to rigorously get Celtic done for the sex abuse scandals using child abuse as some kind of sick point scoring.

The difference is he was getting abused by his own supporters for missing a sitter in the FA Cup final.

Remember the “and Smith must score “

ben johnson
07-11-2018, 09:03 PM

Terrible thing amnesia.
At least he remembers to dye the hair.

WoreTheGreen
07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Terrible thing amnesia.
At least he remembers to dye the hair.

I think he sends it to the dry cleaners once a fortnight

Phil MaGlass
08-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Should have said " no, I dont watch gay porn"