PDA

View Full Version : Nelom and Mavrias

G B Young
05-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Do we think these guys are likely to see much game time or is there a sense they were signed largely as cover? Apologies if I've missed something about Nelom (ie injured) but he doesn't seem to be in the frame at present.

bingo70
05-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Do we think these guys are likely to see much game time or is there a sense they were signed largely as cover? Apologies if I've missed something about Nelom (ie injured) but he doesn't seem to be in the frame at present.

I think Harry was signed on basically an extended trial but only likely to be used in emergency. Bit surprised he's not played in a reserve match yet though?

Somebody said Nelom had picked up an injury but i don't remember reading that. He was at the game on Saturday sat in the main stand with the other players who weren't playing.

HappyAsHellas
05-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Mavrias was on the bench on Saturday although why we didn't use him is a bit of a mystery.

Centre Hawf
05-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Have a feeling both will be away by the end of the season at the latest with a combined total of 3 appearances. Makes you wonder the point in signing them if they can’t get any minutes at all. Especially the big deal that Deadline Day agency made of Harry’s announcement.

jacomo
05-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Completely forgot about Nelom.

The latest guy with the unenviable task of forcing Lewis out of the team.

MB62
05-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Mavrias was on the bench on Saturday although why we didn't use him is a bit of a mystery.

Said that on Saturday too. Whitts was trying to hit 40 yards passes that never went near a Hibs player, he must have thought he was Maradona but was playing more like Madonna. If ever there was a time to give your new right sided flying machine an introduction, it had to be Saturday, even if it was just for 30 minutes.

The Modfather
05-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Signing players as back up is fine, but if we then play players out of position rather than use them, like Rhyras (sp?) would we not be better saving their wage and using a couple of youngsters on the bench?

Austinho
05-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Bound to see them both during the ridiculously congested December fixture list. Smart business by the club to get backup in for these games - certainly don’t think it was a waste of time.

My_Wife_Camille
05-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I don’t think anybody saw this coming at all

Centre Hawf
05-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Bound to see them both during the ridiculously congested December fixture list. Smart business by the club to get backup in for these games - certainly don’t think it was a waste of time.

You say that but except none of these games really are suitable for non match fit/sharp players to come in. They need minutes now to be able to have that impact in December.

eastcoasthibby
05-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Is the reserve league not for getting these players match time and a better look at what they can do ?
Or are we so desperately short of fully fit players that we cant afford to put them in reserves just now either ?

Billy Whizz
05-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Is the reserve league not for getting these players match time and a better look at what they can do ?
Or are we so desperately short of fully fit players that we cant afford to put them in reserves just now either ?

There’s not been many reserve games unfortunately

Got one next Monday away at killie, so maybe we might give 1/2 players like the above a game, although Hibs have said they want to play Development players in this league this season

where'stheslope
05-11-2018, 12:36 PM

This reminds me a bit about Rangers buying players to replace Stuart Munro, they spent £millions trying to replace him and he seen everyone of them off!!!

It the same with Lewis, we don't seem to realise just how good a player he is, and keep wanting to replace him????

flash
05-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Its about time somebody at least got the chance.

Keyser Sauzee
05-11-2018, 12:57 PM
This reminds me a bit about Rangers buying players to replace Stuart Munro, they spent £millions trying to replace him and he seen everyone of them off!!!

It the same with Lewis, we don't seem to realise just how good a player he is, and keep wanting to replace him????

Not wanting to turn this into a Stevenson debate as I really do like Lewis but I don’t think he’s had any real quality competition for his place, it’s been relatively easy for him to keep his place and I think people are getting carried away with how good he’s done to stay in the team. Again I like Lewis and not saying he should be replaced.

Edinburgh Green
05-11-2018, 01:18 PM
File under: Eckersley, Rherras & Eardley

calumhibee1
05-11-2018, 01:22 PM

I don’t even know who that last guy is. These two will probably be the same in a couple of years which seems mental when they’re both internationalists.

My_Wife_Camille
05-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Deary me. Can we give them a chance before writing them off?

superfurryhibby
05-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Signing players as back up is fine, but if we then play players out of position rather than use them, like Rhyras (sp?) would we not be better saving their wage and using a couple of youngsters on the bench?

Basically this. Both these guys have the credentials whereby you would expect them to be able to contribute. Obviously fitness is an issue, possibly injury too ( Nelom), but why sign them otherwise? Equally, we are short of forward options. It may have been wiser to sign a striker as a priority, rather than two wing backs.

Edinburgh Green
05-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Deary me. Can we give them a chance before writing them off?

I'm not writing them off on talent. I'm saying that I think they'll join the list of fullbacks that are signed for cover and never play.

hibbysam
05-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Nelom was at our supporters club brunch yesterday with wee Tam and George Craig, was mentioned that he picked up a knock but should be back training by the end of this week.

J-C
05-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Have a feeling both will be away by the end of the season at the latest with a combined total of 3 appearances. Makes you wonder the point in signing them if they can’t get any minutes at all. Especially the big deal that Deadline Day agency made of Harry’s announcement.

Mavrias is only signed till January, I have a feeling he was signed as pure cover and to keep him fit till he got a bigger club, he has played at a higher level than us before.

My_Wife_Camille
05-11-2018, 02:38 PM
I'm not writing them off on talent. I'm saying that I think they'll join the list of fullbacks that are signed for cover and never play.
I know 😂

ancient hibee
05-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Obviously one of the reasons for signing them is to gee up the players already playing these positions.Lewis has upped his game and looks sharper.

CockneyRebel
05-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Eardsley? Not being anal - this is for the guy that didn't recognise the name.