PDA

View Full Version : Joe Baker v Hibs

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 05:27 PM
I came into the possession of this quite special Hibs programme recently. It's a pre-season game against Forest featuring the return of Joe Baker in a Red shirt to Easter Road. Do believe he had returned previously at some stage. The month is August and the year 1966.

Joe is teamed up with his usual forward partner of the time, Frank Wignall. There are some great names turning out for the Hibees in a strong looking line-up including Pat Stanton, Peter Cormack and Eric Stevenson.

Did anyone visit 'The Tiffin Lounge', 125-128 Easter Road? 'The ideal meeting place for a Snack before or after the Match...'.

lapsedhibee
04-11-2018, 05:38 PM
I came into the possession of this quite special Hibs programme recently. It's a pre-season game against Forest featuring the return of Joe Baker in a Red shirt to Easter Road. Do believe he had returned previously at some stage. The month is August and the year 1966.

Joe is teamed up with his usual forward partner of the time, Frank Wignall. There are some great names turning out for the Hibees in a strong looking line-up including Pat Stanton, Peter Cormack and Eric Stevenson.

Did anyone visit 'The Tiffin Lounge', 125-128 Easter Road? 'The ideal meeting place for a Snack before or after the Match...'.

Vague memory of that match finishing 3-2, but it could have been another score entirely. :hmmm:

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Vague memory of that match finishing 3-2, but it could have been another score entirely. :hmmm:

That's what I heard, to Forest I think but no other details.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-11-2018, 05:50 PM
I was there and had that programme and I'm sure they won 3-2. One for the stats boys.

brog
04-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Like others my memory is of Forest winning 3-2. That Forest team went close to winning the double losing in cup semi & finishing 2nd in league. IIRC, Forest also played Raith at Starks Park (may have been following season) & there were hundreds of Hibs fans there. Alan Hinton played on left wing, had a thunderous left foot & I remember Joe heading in one of his crosses from about 18 yards out. Went in like a shot.

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Like others my memory is of Forest winning 3-2. That Forest team went close to winning the double losing in cup semi & finishing 2nd in league. IIRC, Forest also played Raith at Starks Park (may have been following season) & there were hundreds of Hibs fans there. Alan Hinton played on left wing, had a thunderous left foot & I remember Joe heading in one of his crosses from about 18 yards out. Went in like a shot.

They did indeed, brog. I got taken to many of Forest's games that season as a lad and 40,000 crowds were the norm. The major event that stopped Forest's run at the title against Man Utd was the serious injury that Joe Baker sustained against Everton, courtesy of Brian Labone. Said to be a premeditated act under instruction, Alan ball actually said he decided to leave Everton (to Arsenal) due to his cynical manager, Harry Catterick's actions. Joe was never quite the same in most people's opinion and it completely deflated Forest's season.

Regular line up was:

Peter Grummitt
Peter Hindley
John Winfield
Terry Hennessey
Bob McKinley
Henry Newton
Barry Lyons
John Barnwell
Joe Baker
Frank Wignall
Ian Storey-Moore

G B Young
04-11-2018, 06:21 PM

Never visited it but pretty sure The Tiffin was there until relatively recently (ie within the last decade). Must have been quite a long-established venue.

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 06:37 PM
What about the Newsagent in Bothwell Street think it’s a hoose now!
Used to go in there to buy a penny dainty a stick o bassettis hard liquorice and a Chelsea whoppa before crossing the Bridge of Doom to buy my programme for sixpence.

Iggy Pope
04-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Never visited it but pretty sure The Tiffin was there until relatively recently (ie within the last decade). Must have been quite a long-established venue.

Went through a couple of guises after a fire (late 80s??)
Fine old place for a slap up meal, or as we knew it now, three courses. Next door the chippy (Miele’s ) sold an extraordinary fish supper.

Think the Tiffin became an Indian Restaurant and Miele’s then evolved into the sort of chippy that sells kebabs as well!

Jonnyboy
04-11-2018, 07:53 PM

From my first book

Preparation for this new season took the form of a couple of friendly matches against English opposition, the first of which brought Nottingham Forest to Easter Road, the visitors buoyed by the fact that they had finished fifth in their League the previous season and, of course, boasting their new signing from Arsenal – a lad by the name of Joe Baker. In an entertaining game the visitors took the lead twice through Baker but Hibs fought back on each occasion and went on to win the game 3-2 with goals from Stein, McGraw and a Davis penalty.

Iggy Pope
04-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Used to go in there to buy a penny dainty a stick o bassettis hard liquorice and a Chelsea whoppa before crossing the Bridge of Doom to buy my programme for sixpence.

That shop in Bothwell Street when I was a kid, had a shop next to it (probably a precursor of what are now charity shops) and I bought a Hibs v Clyde programme out of it from 1958. On course with this thread, the cover picture had Joe Baker in action. This would be about 1971 and I felt I had a relic on my hands. My old man got me it. I was 8 and Joe had returned. I still have it as part of my collection and it badly needs replacing. I couldn’t replace it although it would be easy to purchase a better nick copy now. Shudder to think what else they had that I wish I’d got at the time.

Forza Fred
04-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Seen Joe play against us for a couple of sides at ER.....first was when he played in a maroon strip for Torino, which was a friendly as part of his transfer deal, and he scored a double for Raith Rovers much later in his career...which he was cheered for by the Hibs support..

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 08:23 PM
From my first book

Preparation for this new season took the form of a couple of friendly matches against English opposition, the first of which brought Nottingham Forest to Easter Road, the visitors buoyed by the fact that they had finished fifth in their League the previous season and, of course, boasting their new signing from Arsenal – a lad by the name of Joe Baker. In an entertaining game the visitors took the lead twice through Baker but Hibs fought back on each occasion and went on to win the game 3-2 with goals from Stein, McGraw and a Davis penalty.

Thanks for clearing that up, John. I had wondered about the scoreline. Bragging rights back in place!

brog
04-11-2018, 08:42 PM
They did indeed, brog. I got taken to many of Forest's games that season as a lad and 40,000 crowds were the norm. The major event that stopped Forest's run at the title against Man Utd was the serious injury that Joe Baker sustained against Everton, courtesy of Brian Labone. Said to be a premeditated act under instruction, Alan ball actually said he decided to leave Everton (to Arsenal) due to his cynical manager, Harry Catterick's actions. Joe was never quite the same in most people's opinion and it completely deflated Forest's season.

Regular line up was:

Peter Grummitt
Peter Hindley
John Winfield
Terry Hennessey
Bob McKinley
Henry Newton
Barry Lyons
John Barnwell
Joe Baker
Frank Wignall
Ian Storey-Moore

Great stuff Stu. London Hibs took Joe to Highbury in Arsene Wenger' s 1st season in charge. Arsenal did Joe proud with a double page centre spread in the programme on his exploits. At the end of the game we lost Joe until I finally found him in the boot room getting quietly pissed with the above John Barnwell who was also a guest at the game. Great day!

The Harp
04-11-2018, 08:49 PM

Can remember that wee newsagents. Think it may have become an office/shop later on for selling tickets for the club's own money-spinner, called Hibspools.

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2018, 09:14 PM
Can remember that wee newsagents. Think it may have become an office/shop later on for selling tickets for the club's own money-spinner, called Hibspools.

vaguely remember myself and a couple of friends going up to a programme shop there on sundays, but i really cant remember if it was a standalone shop/part of a newsagent, or if the newsagent came afterwards :hmmm:

The Harp
04-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Pretty sure (if it was the same shop) that it was a newsagent then Hibspools outlet.
Also remember an elderly street singer who stood at the far end of the bridge, nearest to ER. Always seemed to wear a big overcoat and held his cap out for contributions.

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 09:50 PM
vaguely remember myself and a couple of friends going up to a programme shop there on sundays, but i really cant remember if it was a standalone shop/part of a newsagent, or if the newsagent came afterwards :hmmm:
It would have been about 1968 when I was a wee laddie buying my sweeties out of the Newsagents.

I am too young to remember Joe Bakers first spell at Easter Road but I certainly remember his second debut 2-1 versus Eddie Turnbulls high flying Aberdeen goals by Stanton and Baker in front of a big home crowd Bobby Clark the Aberdeen keeper had not conceded in 1200 minutes.

Joe Baker was all sideburns and white boots :greengrin

He was to suffer a bad injury playing for us and left to spend two years at Raith Rovers where he scored two goals against us in one match each goal receiving a tremendous round of applause from the Hibernian support.

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Great stuff Stu. London Hibs took Joe to Highbury in Arsene Wenger' s 1st season in charge. Arsenal did Joe proud with a double page centre spread in the programme on his exploits. At the end of the game we lost Joe until I finally found him in the boot room getting quietly pissed with the above John Barnwell who was also a guest at the game. Great day!

Great to hear your memories, brog! Joe was loved at Highbury (he was loved everywhere he played). Signed by Johnny Carey at Forest for £66,000 if I remember right, the Forest faithful couldn't believe their good luck at such a stellar signing. Johnny Barnwell was a very talented and skilful player. Maybe you remember, an old fashioned inside forward and a ball player.

Joe was absolutely adored in Nottingham - the 'King of the Trent End'. Older supporters still talk in awe of him, including a friend of mine who received kindness from him after being admitted to hospital as youngster after a very serious accident - a disastrous one in fact. Joe would go and visit kids in the hospital here every week and take them a football annual as a gift and did this with my pal.

Moving on several decades later, my friend heard that Joe was visiting Nottingham and Forest once more before his untimely passing. He found the pub where Joe was going for a drink and went along there with that same annual and Joe signed it for him. He said that he couldn't understand why people made a fuss of him, he was 'only doing his job of scoring goals'. What a player and what a man.

cabbageandribs1875
05-11-2018, 01:26 AM
It would have been about 1968 when I was a wee laddie buying my sweeties out of the Newsagents.

I am too young to remember Joe Bakers first spell at Easter Road but I certainly remember his second debut 2-1 versus Eddie Turnbulls high flying Aberdeen goals by Stanton and Baker in front of a big home crowd Bobby Clark the Aberdeen keeper had not conceded in 1200 minutes.

Joe Baker was all sideburns and white boots :greengrin

He was to suffer a bad injury playing for us and left to spend two years at Raith Roverd where he scored two goals against us in one match each goal receiving a tremendous round of applause from the Hibernian support.

i'm thinking it was maybe approx 73/74 (ishy) when we used to go up for programmes, at least now we know the *newsagent came first

*unless there were two shops :hmmm: damn memory of mines

Killiehibbie
05-11-2018, 08:21 AM
i'm thinking it was maybe approx 73/74 (ishy) when we used to go up for programmes, at least now we know the *newsagent came first

*unless there were two shops :hmmm: damn memory of mines
We used to call it The Pie and Beans shop, 80/81, and it was still a newsagent/grocers into the 90's. I think the other shop was a door or 2 towards the Easter Road end of the street.

delbert
05-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Seen Joe play against us for a couple of sides at ER.....first was when he played in a maroon strip for Torino, which was a friendly as part of his transfer deal, and he scored a double for Raith Rovers much later in his career...which he was cheered for by the Hibs support..

That game also finished 3-2 to Hibs if my memory of that night serves me correctly.

cabbageandribs1875
05-11-2018, 12:39 PM
We used to call it The Pie and Beans shop, 80/81, and it was still a newsagent/grocers into the 90's. I think the other shop was a door or 2 towards the Easter Road end of the street.

iirc the programme shop was just a short distance before the wee bend in the building nearer the bridge........we'll get there eventually :)

p.s. apologies to OP for going a tad off topic :devil:

scoopyboy
05-11-2018, 01:19 PM

IIRC the Tiffin ended up as a restaurant.

Iggy Pope
05-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Pretty sure (if it was the same shop) that it was a newsagent then Hibspools outlet.
Also remember an elderly street singer who stood at the far end of the bridge, nearest to ER. Always seemed to wear a big overcoat and held his cap out for contributions.

It probably was the Hibs Development shop. That later moved to the end of Albert St beside the Post Office (run by Sean Connery's sister btw).
That Hibs shop was the precursor to the official shop under the old Main Stand and it had such curios as the Hibs v Real Madrid commemorative plaque which ended up in the Hibs Club Games Room. Hope its still there.

Famous Fiver
05-11-2018, 02:52 PM
The iconic photograph of Joe kissing the turf at the Hands off Hibs rally is on show in the Press Room at ER. You can see it on the Stadium Tour.

It should be framed and in pride of place next to the Scottish Cup in The Boardroom.

MM19
05-11-2018, 02:54 PM
That's what I heard, to Forest I think but no other details.

No it was 3-2 to Hibs my first match at Easter Road I'm sure the scorers were Joe Davis (pen) Scott and McGraw but I might be wrong it was a long time ago. Joe Baker scored to two Forrest goals

heretoday
05-11-2018, 03:02 PM
IIRC the Tiffin ended up as a restaurant.

The Tiffin was a regular hangout in the 70s/80s. Late drink there on occasion.

They had a rather steep flight of stairs down to the toilet, I seem to recall. No Health and Safety in those days or compo either. You just had to blame yourself if you took a purler.:greengrin

stu in nottingham
05-11-2018, 03:18 PM
No it was 3-2 to Hibs my first match at Easter Road I'm sure the scorers were Joe Davis (pen) Scott and McGraw but I might be wrong it was a long time ago. Joe Baker scored to two Forrest goals

Thanks M, Jonnyboy mentions above also that the Hibees won 3-2 with goals from Stein, McGraw and a Davis pen also.

brog
05-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Great to hear your memories, brog! Joe was loved at Highbury (he was loved everywhere he played). Signed by Johnny Carey at Forest for £66,000 if I remember right, the Forest faithful couldn't believe their good luck at such a stellar signing. Johnny Barnwell was a very talented and skilful player. Maybe you remember, an old fashioned inside forward and a ball player.

Joe was absolutely adored in Nottingham - the 'King of the Trent End'. Older supporters still talk in awe of him, including a friend of mine who received kindness from him after being admitted to hospital as youngster after a very serious accident - a disastrous one in fact. Joe would go and visit kids in the hospital here every week and take them a football annual as a gift and did this with my pal.

Moving on several decades later, my friend heard that Joe was visiting Nottingham and Forest once more before his untimely passing. He found the pub where Joe was going for a drink and went along there with that same annual and Joe signed it for him. He said that he couldn't understand why people made a fuss of him, he was 'only doing his job of scoring goals'. What a player and what a man.

Joe certainly was loved everywhere. I should have said that it was Arsene Wenger who directed me to the boot room. I literally bumped into AW while looking for Joe & AW asked me very politely WTF I was doing. When I said I was with Joe, AW beamed wuth delight & said, Joe, what a great guy. He then told me I'd find Joe in the boot room with Pat Rice but not to tell Pat that he'd directed me "as Pat doesnt think I know where he goes"!

MM19
05-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Thanks M, Jonnyboy mentions above also that the Hibees won 3-2 with goals from Stein, McGraw and a Davis pen also.

Yeah I noticed that as I was scrolling down it's been a long time and my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I knew we had won 3-2 though I think most of the Scottish teams who played English teams won that year.

stu in nottingham
05-11-2018, 03:54 PM
The tackle that all but ended Joe's career. He was never quite the same after this assault by Everton's Brian Labone. With Baker injured it pretty much put paid to Forest's League and Cup double attempt. Amazingly, the referee doesn't even award a foul but waves play on.

(Right at the beginning of the video.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImD7yLFh0Ec

tynehibs
06-11-2018, 06:41 AM
It probably was the Hibs Development shop. That later moved to the end of Albert St beside the Post Office (run by Sean Connery's sister btw).
That Hibs shop was the precursor to the official shop under the old Main Stand and it had such curios as the Hibs v Real Madrid commemorative plaque which ended up in the Hibs Club Games Room. Hope its still there.

Thanks for that Albert st info Iggy, I asked about this on a previous thread and was told it didn't exist