PDA

View Full Version : Des Walker and other unsung heroes

Mibbes Aye
04-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Bit of a random thread, but watching this afternoon's football, for whatever reason I got put in mind of Des Walker.

Des was a sublimely talented centre-half, had pace and a great tackle. He played from the mid-eighties and through the nineties, and very much was in at the start of the regular televising of matches, whether ITV, Channel 4 or Sky.

My memories of him were him being pretty silky and smooth defensively, but never doing anything in attack. He knew his job and stuck to it. He played for a Notts Forest side that had some real stars in it, got a move to Serie A where he was played out of position and came back to Sheffield Wednesday. I think he was genuinely loved at Forest and Wednesday, not as a glamorous player but as one who did his job really well.

Des won a few cup finals in his time but was never in teams that were serious contenders for league titles. Despite that, he won nearly 60 England caps and was a stand-out in Italia 90 and the 92 Euros for England.

Overall, I think of him as a really tidy player, who you would hate to come up against. Lineker described him in similar terms, from his experiences playing against him.

Any other unsung heroes out there? I think in twenty to thirty years time we will describe Stevenson and Hanlon in similarly glowing terms (to be fair, after 210516 they are probably 'sung heroes' :greengrin)

Here’s Lucy!
04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Carlton Palmer.

Kevin Beattie.

Brian Hall.

Mick Jones.

Our very own Jim Black.

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Des Walker lives near me, he's a very down to earth guy.

He was a superb central defender for Forest, extremely quick over the ground and could retrieve almost any situation with his pace. He was one of the most difficult defenders to get round that I've ever seen and a superb tackler. He played a lot of games for Forest in the same back four as Stuart Pearce.

His attacking 'prowess' was always a subject or irony. Des scored just one goal for the Reds in around 270-odd games but the crowd used to go nuts when he occasionally ran forward with the ball! Oppositions forwards however were often taunted with the 'You'll never beat Des Walker' chant! He was top notch - a great player.

Bit of a random thread, but watching this afternoon's football, for whatever reason I got put in mind of Des Walker.

Des was a sublimely talented centre-half, had pace and a great tackle. He played from the mid-eighties and through the nineties, and very much was in at the start of the regular televising of matches, whether ITV, Channel 4 or Sky.

My memories of him were him being pretty silky and smooth defensively, but never doing anything in attack. He knew his job and stuck to it. He played for a Notts Forest side that had some real stars in it, got a move to Serie A where he was played out of position and came back to Sheffield Wednesday. I think he was genuinely loved at Forest and Wednesday, not as a glamorous player but as one who did his job really well.

Des won a few cup finals in his time but was never in teams that were serious contenders for league titles. Despite that, he won nearly 60 England caps and was a stand-out in Italia 90 and the 92 Euros for England.

Overall, I think of him as a really tidy player, who you would hate to come up against. Lineker described him in similar terms, from his experiences playing against him.

Any other unsung heroes out there? I think in twenty to thirty years time we will describe Stevenson and Hanlon in similarly glowing terms (to be fair, after 210516 they are probably 'sung heroes' :greengrin)

CMurdoch
04-11-2018, 04:07 PM

He was a superb central defender for Forest, extremely quick over the ground and could retrieve almost any situation with his pace. He was one of the most difficult defenders to get round that I've ever seen and a superb tackler. He played a lot of games for Forest in the same back four as Stuart Pearce.

His attacking 'prowess' was always a subject or irony. Des scored just one goal for the Reds in around 270-odd games but the crowd used to go nuts when he occasionally ran forward with the ball! Oppositions forwards however were often taunted with the 'You'll never beat Des Walker' chant! He was top notch - a great player.

His son is a professional - a forward. Can't remember his name

overdrive
04-11-2018, 04:09 PM
His son is a professional - a forward. Can't remember his name

Walker?

CMurdoch
04-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Walker?

Surprisingly in this day and age, yes and not double barreled.

Here’s Lucy!
04-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Walker?

Suppose somebody had to say it! :greengrin

CMurdoch
04-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Walker?

Tyler Walker, currently on loan at Mansfield from Notts Forest

Smartie
04-11-2018, 04:17 PM
I always thought our own Garry Parker was a very under-rated player.

He was excellent in a superb Villa side that (iirc) finished second behind Man United in the early 90s. He was a good passer, could get up and down the park, get the occasional goal and get stuck in when necessary.

TBH he's exactly what I think we're crying out for now - a real all-rounder.

His career seemed to go on for a while, as I remember him being at Luton when I collected panini football stickers in 1986, and was still playing for Leicester a good few years later.

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Tyler Walker is athletic and quick like his dad. Twenty-two now and scoring a few goals in League Two on loan to the Stags. It's a bit of a pivotal time for him now in what kind of career he's going to have in the future.

Newry Hibs
04-11-2018, 04:27 PM
I always thought our own Garry Parker was a very under-rated player.

He was excellent in a superb Villa side that (iirc) finished second behind Man United in the early 90s. He was a good passer, could get up and down the park, get the occasional goal and get stuck in when necessary.

TBH he's exactly what I think we're crying out for now - a real all-rounder.

His career seemed to go on for a while, as I remember him being at Luton when I collected panini football stickers in 1986, and was still playing for Leicester a good few years later.

He was a very classy player in a very good Luton team at the time.

Bostonhibby
04-11-2018, 04:28 PM

His attacking 'prowess' was always a subject or irony. Des scored just one goal for the Reds in around 270-odd games but the crowd used to go nuts when he occasionally ran forward with the ball! Oppositions forwards however were often taunted with the 'You'll never beat Des Walker' chant! He was top notch - a great player.Seen a bit of Des Walker playing. Deserved the song as he was some defender. He's my forest supporting mates favourite player and he's seen a few.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
04-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Tyler Walker is athletic and quick like his dad. Twenty-two now and scoring a few goals in League Two on loan to the Stags. It's a bit of a pivotal time for him now in what kind of career he's going to have in the future.

His contract expires in the summer. Suspect it won't be renewed and will end up with a club in the 3rd tier

Mibbes Aye
04-11-2018, 04:33 PM

:aok:

Trying to think of the players he would have had around him then. It's funny how memory is, I can remember a lot more of the late seventies team!

Walker must have played not just with Pearce, but the likes of Steve Hodge, Teddy Sheringham and Roy Keane. That's a decent spine.

Definitely a great player who doesn't have the same recognition that similarly-talented peers got.

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Garry Parker was quite a classy performer I always thought. Initially and for some time he played outside-left for Forest. Cloughie then sold Neil Webb to Man Utd and Garry replaced hi in midfield with good effect. He was also playing for Forest that fateful day in the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough against Liverpool.

LancashireHibby
04-11-2018, 04:45 PM
He was on loan at Bolton the back end of last season but looked way out of his depth.

stu in nottingham
04-11-2018, 04:51 PM
He was on loan at Bolton the back end of last season but looked way out of his depth.

I think so yes. More likely playing in League One/Two beckons.

JeMeSouviens
04-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Scored the winner in an FA cup final at the wrong end! Just like Arthur Duncan, quite similar goals as well iirc.

The 90+2
04-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Carlton Palmer was an utter huddy.

Stuart Ripley was the most under rated winger ever.

Fuzzywuzzy
04-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Can always remember Brian McClair just going about his business. Skilful player

eastmainsmsh
04-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Paul Lake man City until that horrific injury

PatHead
04-11-2018, 07:55 PM
Brian Kerr

col02
04-11-2018, 08:04 PM
I always liked Dennis Irwin at Man United.

The 90+2
04-11-2018, 08:12 PM
I always liked Dennis Irwin at Man United.

Pogba should be forced to sit and watch his penalties. Irwin was amazing.

1875STEVE
04-11-2018, 10:37 PM

My brother follows Wednesday, so i remember growing up how good Des was, solid defender.

Wednesday had some teams at the time. Waddle, Hurst, Warhurst, Sinton, Palmer, Carbone, even the big keeper Pressman.

I followed Villa, so Ian Taylor was one for me. and our very own Garry Parker

Paul McGrath ans Steve Staunton too

The Green Goblin
05-11-2018, 12:33 AM
Andrew Driver. £15M player.

Haymaker
05-11-2018, 02:29 AM
Pogba should be forced to sit and watch his penalties. Irwin was amazing.

:agree: Irwin took class penalties.

Baader
05-11-2018, 03:48 AM
Des Walker was under the radar world class. Great player. Dennis Irwin was a fantastic player too. Great to watch. So many underrated players but of the obvious you can add Pallister and Steve Bruce. Bruce never got an England cap. I don't like Man Utd btw!

In Scotland I remember Eammon Bannon as being a player who was a lot better than really given credit for despite being a Jambo. Jim Bett another too. And Pat McGinlay.

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2018, 05:23 AM
Brian Kerr

Eh?

PatHead
06-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Eh?

Someone had to say it!

BILLYHIBS
06-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Someone had to say it!

Ha Ha !

Was just going to let to let it go but thought to myself Pathead cannot be SERIOUS!

:thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
06-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Brian KerrI thought he was a great singer for Simple Minds. Alive and kicking[emoji441]......

CropleyWasGod
06-11-2018, 10:49 AM
I thought he was a great singer for Simple Minds. Alive and kicking[emoji441]......

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TapatalkNever saw him. Did he hide behind the speaker stacks?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
Never saw him. Did he hide behind the speaker stacks?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkUnseen work, best kind. Don't you forget about him[emoji6]

BILLYHIBS
06-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Someone had to say it!

Brilliant debut only goal in a 1-0 win at Tiny 24 games later nothing!

I think he was a mate of Tommy Craig’s at Newcastle had about the same impact as Alan OBrien
sorry someone had to say it :greengrin