PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy system

Diclonius
04-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Seeing as we're all piling on with the criticisms this weekend, though it was a good time to bring this up again.

How difficult is it to have a working tannoy system in a football stadium? Every other ground I've been to I've been able to understand what the guy is saying (case in point being the derby, where their announcer was clear as crystal) but in almost a decade of sitting in the West Upper I literally cannot make out a single thing the guy is saying when it isn't concerning the team, man of the match or (sometimes) attendance. As far as I can remember it's exactly the same in the East as well. Surely we have a bit of money left over to fix this, or is it literally impossible?

hibbyfraelibby
04-11-2018, 12:49 PM
So did we want to sign Kamberi, Milligan, Horgan or a tannoy system?

To replace a system like you need for a stadium the size of ER will probably cost £250k or more.

I go to watch the football not listen to the witterings of the stadium announcer and some trashy pop music that doesnt relate to football or enhance the atmosphere.

Sir David Gray
04-11-2018, 01:24 PM

To replace a system like you need for a stadium the size of ER will probably cost £250k or more.

I go to watch the football not listen to the witterings of the stadium announcer and some trashy pop music that doesnt relate to football or enhance the atmosphere.

A working tannoy system is potentially very important in the event of an emergency taking place. At the moment, any announcements being made would not be heard clearly by a large number of people. If we were to be given directions for example to evacuate the stadium, it would be chaos.

The tannoy system is shocking at Easter Road and needs to be looked at. It could save lives one day.

It's not just about hearing the latest pop songs at half time or hearing the Happy Hibee numbers being read out.

Carheenlea
04-11-2018, 01:59 PM
A working tannoy system is potentially very important in the event of an emergency taking place. At the moment, any announcements being made would not be heard clearly by a large number of people. If we were to be given directions for example to evacuate the stadium, it would be chaos.

The tannoy system is shocking at Easter Road and needs to be looked at. It could save lives one day.

It's not just about hearing the latest pop songs at half time or hearing the Happy Hibee numbers being read out.

I’m pretty sure there is a different system for emergency announcements? Not saying for certain but during previous threads about the tannoy I’m sure someone made this point. Don’t quote me on that though!

Lago
04-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Seeing as we're all piling on with the criticisms this weekend, though it was a good time to bring this up again.

How difficult is it to have a working tannoy system in a football stadium? Every other ground I've been to I've been able to understand what the guy is saying (case in point being the derby, where their announcer was clear as crystal) but in almost a decade of sitting in the West Upper I literally cannot make out a single thing the guy is saying when it isn't concerning the team, man of the match or (sometimes) attendance. As far as I can remember it's exactly the same in the East as well. Surely we have a bit of money left over to fix this, or is it literally impossible?
Poor tannoy, been like that since I first pitched up at ER in 1970:agree:

Fife-Hibee
04-11-2018, 02:47 PM
It’s the same at the top of section 40 a couple of seasons ago they put a speaker down near the corner flag and it made a massive difference!

HibsAnnouncer
04-11-2018, 02:48 PM
hey guys

its always something that comes up especially after defeats. I must say though that the club are doing their upmost to make do with what we have but without stepping in where I am maybe not meant to with regards to comments i can tell you that the price of a full new system is very very costly to the club.

There are many other stadiums within Scotland including Murrayfield that have issues with tannoy. There are external companies that come in for games to put additional pitch side speakers etc in for these stadiums which again is very costly on a match by match basis.

I have spent so much time putting in equipment of my own to try better the sound within the stadium we gave various different sound tests when the stadium is empty but obviously it is a totally different scenario as the stadium is empty. I make it my task every match day to walk around the stadium from south back round to the west to listen to the sound and to communicate back to control to get the best we can from what we have.

With regards to comments on pop music....make some suggestions and we can try improve that also. Anyone that knows me on this forum will know how much it means to be as a supporter of the club aswell to have the fans input and to implement suggestions where and when I can :).

Hope this helps

Libby Hibby
04-11-2018, 02:56 PM
hey guys

its always something that comes up especially after defeats. I must say though that the club are doing their upmost to make do with what we have but without stepping in where I am maybe not meant to with regards to comments i can tell you that the price of a full new system is very very costly to the club.

There are many other stadiums within Scotland including Murrayfield that have issues with tannoy. There are external companies that come in for games to put additional pitch side speakers etc in for these stadiums which again is very costly on a match by match basis.

I have spent so much time putting in equipment of my own to try better the sound within the stadium we gave various different sound tests when the stadium is empty but obviously it is a totally different scenario as the stadium is empty. I make it my task every match day to walk around the stadium from south back round to the west to listen to the sound and to communicate back to control to get the best we can from what we have.

With regards to comments on pop music....make some suggestions and we can try improve that also. Anyone that knows me on this forum will know how much it means to be as a supporter of the club aswell to have the fans input and to implement suggestions where and when I can :).

Hope this helps

Thanks for taking to time to reply Barry.

The sound distribution from the current set up is poor.

It has been an issue for as long as the East has been built. Try sitting in row J sometime to experience how poor and muffled the audible sound from both the songs and yourself is.

The club does so many things right and has sorted out a lot behind the scenes but a new tannoy system is a common suggestion and something they should be upgrading.

I appreciate that other stadiums may have similar problems but it can be argued that Tynecastle has always been good and why should that be the case?

heretoday
04-11-2018, 03:19 PM
I find the tannoy quite alienating. It's not football to me anyway. I'd be happier if they just read out the teams and the subs and the golden goals or whatever. And no enforced jollity, please.

Robbo6-2
04-11-2018, 03:24 PM
You genuinely can't hear a word that Barry is saying from our seat in the East, Its pointless.

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2018, 03:36 PM
will the club appreciate this system as a donation from me barry https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/pc-speakers/logitech-z506-5-1-pc-speakers-09032568-pdt.html ?

p.s. it's because your moving the mic about all the time when your on the pitch :cb imo of course :)

or maybe naw

Danderhall Hibs
04-11-2018, 05:11 PM
It was working perfectly yesterday as the teams came out - music blaring and another read of the names of the players blaring over the top of the crowd chanting “one neil Lennon”...

Last Minute
04-11-2018, 05:45 PM
hey guys

Hope this helps

Barry for a start you speak to close to the mike and talk to much, its always about money money money from the fans. are you telling me there is no company in Edinburgh or Scotland that can help us out with the system and Hibs pay so much and advertise there company or something. god help us if their is a emergency and the public can't understand the instructions to leave the stadium. especially when they have been told they cant hear anything on a weekly basis . try sitting up on the west upper when you do your test not walking around on the ground floor.

BoomtownHibees
04-11-2018, 05:51 PM
hey guys

Hope this helps

Walking around doing a “sound test” at ground level is no good since none of us are sitting at that same height. For you to hear how bad it actually is in most areas of the stadium, you would need to get yourself in to the stands to hear it for yourself.

One Day
04-11-2018, 06:19 PM
It was working perfectly yesterday as the teams came out - music blaring and another read of the names of the players blaring over the top of the crowd chanting “one neil Lennon”...

I picked up on that too

Keith_M
04-11-2018, 06:30 PM
hey guys

Hope this helps

I never have a problem hearing the music in the West Stand but, and excuse me for sounding like an old fogey, it's just too loud.

I enjoy a bit of background music, but I can barely talk to the person sitting next to me before a game and it literally hurts my ears on occasions (I have mild tinnitus).

Wouldn't it be possible to play the music at a bit lower volume?

pollution
04-11-2018, 06:41 PM
I cannot stand music before the game and especially after Hibs score.

It is and always has been trash that no one really likes. Going back 40 years!

No disrespect to the announcer......

SChibs
04-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Barry for a start you speak to close to the mike and talk to much, its always about money money money from the fans. are you telling me there is no company in Edinburgh or Scotland that can help us out with the system and Hibs pay so much and advertise there company or something. god help us if their is a emergency and the public can't understand the instructions to leave the stadium. especially when they have been told they cant hear anything on a weekly basis . try sitting up on the west upper when you do your test not walking around on the ground floor.

The police announcement always comes over loud and clear before the game from my experience. So it would probably be fine in an emergency

Hi Heid Yin
04-11-2018, 06:50 PM
Thanks for taking to time to reply Barry.

The sound distribution from the current set up is poor.

It has been an issue for as long as the East has been built. Try sitting in row J sometime to experience how poor and muffled the audible sound from both the songs and yourself is.

The club does so many things right and has sorted out a lot behind the scenes but a new tannoy system is a common suggestion and something they should be upgrading.

I appreciate that other stadiums may have similar problems but it can be argued that Tynecastle has always been good and why should that be the case?

I suspect it is because Tynecastle is an enclosed, steep sided arena where sound is contained and not lost to the heavens.

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 06:54 PM
£?&@@> !!&@/$. J/:@!?? ?>##%# hibs ?£&&&/. M££&@~#%¥€€.
Kids ?£&$%### testing! Testing!

TiaMaria
04-11-2018, 07:03 PM

This has been brought up on several occasions at the Working Together Group. The cost is prohibitive but the Club are working on'fixes' in the worst affected areas. The Emergency system works fine and is passed by safety regulations.

hfc rd
04-11-2018, 07:04 PM
£?&@@> !!&@/$. J/:@!?? ?>##%# hibs ?£&&&/. M££&@~#%¥€€.
Kids ?£&$%### testing! Testing!

?

Libby Hibby
04-11-2018, 07:05 PM
I suspect it is because Tynecastle is an enclosed, steep sided arena where sound is contained and not lost to the heavens.

Each stand at Tynecastle does not rely on the other stands to make the sound better.

It is just a better system.

If the same system was installed at ER, it would make a massive difference to each individual stand.

Weegreenman
04-11-2018, 07:18 PM
I usually hear the half time entertainment to be fair....10....9...8...7....6...5....4.....3 :rolleyes:

PatHead
04-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Each stand at Tynecastle does not rely on the other stands to make the sound better.

If the same system was installed at ER, it would make a massive difference to each individual stand.
As someone mentioned above this has been discussed at dozens of Working Together meetings. Attempts have been made to improve it.

The bottom line is that the system was set up to make safety announcements not for music. To replace the system would cost a six figure sum.

It was suggested that speakers used at the St Mirren game a couple of years ago were rented each week but once again the cost is prohibitive.

The old argument, would you rather £100,000 was spent on players or a disco like Celtic did?

Edit. The club have had many companies look at the system without success.

CropleyWasGod
04-11-2018, 07:25 PM
As someone mentioned above this has been discussed at dozens of Working Together meetings. Attempts have been made to improve it.

The bottom line is that the system was set up to make safety announcements not for music. To replace the system would cost a six figure sum.

It was suggested that speakers used at the St Mirren game a couple of years ago were rented each week but once again the cost is prohibitive.

The old argument, would you rather £100,000 was spent on players or a disco like Celtic did?See this disco? Would it take requests?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

PatHead
04-11-2018, 07:27 PM
See this disco? Would it take requests?

Better ask Barry. Not sure if we would be allowed to dance on the pitch though.

Joe6-2
04-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Poor tannoy, been like that since I first pitched up at ER in 1970:agree:

Yep!

Iggy Pope
04-11-2018, 08:19 PM
You genuinely can't hear a word that Barry is saying from our seat in the East, Its pointless.

Nae offence to Barry but I sit in the FF and hear every pointless word and ‘tune’ perfectly.

CropleyWasGod
04-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Better ask Barry. Not sure if we would be allowed to dance on the pitch though.We may have to have open auditions so that the fans can decide between dad-dancers and a new striker.

Hermit Crab
04-11-2018, 09:08 PM
No music after any goals. Cringey.

Chorley Hibee
04-11-2018, 09:54 PM
We are one the largest football clubs in the country, not the Dog and Duck pub collecting subs and playing out of a public park. This argument of "Would you prefer money spent on the team or something else" doesn't hold water with me. We should be more than able to do both!

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 09:57 PM
No music after any goals. Cringey.

The sheer joy of the ball hitting the back of the onion bag should be enough for you young man. Better than sex!

Only problem is I can’t remember what any of those two experiences is like cue the music :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
04-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Better ask Barry. Not sure if we would be allowed to dance on the pitch though.

All dancing has to be done on the pavement. I believe we already have a group who are top ten pavement dancers.

Hi Heid Yin
04-11-2018, 10:38 PM

I'm no expert, so fair do's.

GreenCastle
05-11-2018, 07:29 AM
We are one the largest football clubs in the country, not the Dog and Duck pub collecting subs and playing out of a public park. This argument of "Would you prefer money spent on the team or something else" doesn't hold water with me. We should be more than able to do both!

Yeah - I fully agree.

It’s not like this is a one season issue - it’s been an issue since the new East Stand opened.

That’s 2010 - 8 years ago !!!!

I sit in East - row BB and it’s awful - can’t hear a word / half time scores - kids announcements at half time etc.

What system does Tynecastle use as seems to be work?

If ER was to ever have a safety issue - these countless threads would be eveidence of fans warning people of their concerns.

The tannoy and the food are 2 issues I thought Hibs would have sorted - both affect match day experience but no long term solution yet.

CropleyWasGod
05-11-2018, 07:45 AM
We are one the largest football clubs in the country, not the Dog and Duck pub collecting subs and playing out of a public park. This argument of "Would you prefer money spent on the team or something else" doesn't hold water with me. We should be more than able to do both!We can't, though, which is why it hasn't been dealt with.

skyhibs
05-11-2018, 08:27 AM

I would swap horgan for a tannoy system

McSwanky
05-11-2018, 08:33 AM
I would swap horgan for a tannoy system

I've seen a good few insults on here in my time, but none as laughable as this one!

MB62
05-11-2018, 10:28 AM
I generally sit in or around Row NN in the WSUN and it sounds like we have been invaded by being from outer space, you just can't make out a word that is being said. On Saturday, I was sat in row AA in the WSUPN (where thankfully the ignoramus I was sitting beside and who spent t the whole time leaning forward in his seat, meaning I could hardly see a thing, left at half time - some supporter) but I heard every word said over the tannoy system.

I have come to the conclusion after this that the speakers are angled incorrectly. Either that, we need additional speakers aimed at different angles to cover the whole stand.
There appears to be nothing wrong with the present system, we just need a few more speakers, Shirley that can't cost an arm and a leg.

happiehibbie
05-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Nah its not that.

happiehibbie
05-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Lets start with some positives

Barry does a good Job no issues there.

The system is played to loud and Barry is talking to fast.

We speak S L O W which will give the sound time to reach the PA system.

The speakers are vibrating with every sound.

The other issue is, barry is not in control of the system I don't want to tell him how to suck eggs but when he talks the music needs to be reduced. Not being in touch with the fader makes this difficult.

Simple message I was taught" if you can hear what you are saying then the public can hear you "

Barry you present well. Music, you cant please everyone, As for content Hibernian tell you what the want you to announce.

Good luck

Carheenlea
05-11-2018, 11:22 AM
I’m pretty hard of hearing, but oddly have no trouble making out what is being broadcast through our tannoy system. Never worked that one out :confused:

Golden Bear
05-11-2018, 06:08 PM
I’m pretty hard of hearing, but oddly have no trouble making out what is being broadcast through our tannoy system. Never worked that one out :confused:

Yet I'm about 12 rows behind you and struggle to understand a word!

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2018, 07:16 PM
They really need to use it less.

Once again before kickoff the fans are trying to sing but it’s drowned out by ****** music.

Same at half time and the final whistle. You don’t get a chance to celebrate a victory or chat to your mate about the game as the music is blaring as soon as the whistle goes.

And stop reading out birthday messages or whatever, no one gives a damn!

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Boyler bursting through on Saturday trying to break the deadlock beats man after man approx 4.35pm gets to the byeline about to deliver the killer pass “THE SPONSORS MAN OF THE MATCH IS MAAARVIN
BAAARTLEYYY!” Boyler shat himself and ballooned his cross into the FF Lower. Please make announcements at appropriate breaks in play

BoomtownHibees
05-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Boyler bursting through on Saturday trying to break the deadlock beats man after man approx 4.35pm gets to the byeline about to deliver the killer pass “THE SPONSORS MAN OF THE MATCH IS MAAARVIN
BAAARTLEYYY!” Boyler shat himself and ballooned his cross into the FF Lower. Please make announcements at appropriate breaks in play

What about the other 3 times that Boyle done that?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-11-2018, 08:16 PM
hey guys

Hope this helps

Why not play hibs songs?

And wtf is the 'im having a party' song all about? Surely you eithrr play something that fans will sing along to, or dont play anything. Its never, ever been anything to do with Hibs, ever!

Saturday Boy
05-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Why not play hibs songs?

And wtf is the 'im having a party' song all about? Surely you eithrr play something that fans will sing along to, or dont play anything. Its never, ever been anything to do with Hibs, ever!

You obviously weren’t at ER when it was played at full time after we beat the jambos? Pretty funny that time . We were having a party

happiehibbie
06-11-2018, 10:01 AM

Once again before kickoff the fans are trying to sing but it’s drowned out by ****** music.

Same at half time and the final whistle. You don’t get a chance to celebrate a victory or chat to your mate about the game as the music is blaring as soon as the whistle goes.

Try telling that to the kids who love to hear there name mentioned
Sponsors who pay a fortune
Mascots who again pay a fortune.

Its a day out for families businesses etc

Have you ever been to any sporting events in the USA ?

pollution
06-11-2018, 11:37 AM

I fully agree. It kills the atmosphere. Who cares that it is someone's birthday except the child him/her self and parents/guardians/carers.

If it truly is a case of valuable ££ income, restrict this pap to before and after the game not blinking after goals. Utterly inane brain washing pzazz, destroying the whole moment.

I brought this up to a former Hibs commercial director in a social capacity and he was truly dumbfounded when I mentioned how the music destroys the thrill of the goals.

WhileTheChief..
06-11-2018, 11:39 AM

I get all that, it was kinda tongue in cheek hence the !

I’ve been to a NY Yankees game.

WhileTheChief..
06-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Just to add to this, if the kids can’t hear their name due to the poor tannoy then what’s the point?!

Phil MaGlass
06-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Instead of a tannoy system maybe we should just go back to the days of the good old gramophone, wind it up and off you go, it would probably be better to hear than what we have had for the past 20 odd years, in fact, I cant even remember the last time it was audible or when i used commas?

We could approach a company that sells a proper system then and ask them to install one for free and give them free advertising for a few years?

.Sean.
06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Can we not have some proper music as opposed to stuff from the charts? All that dance and rapper pish that most guys canny stand.

hughio
06-11-2018, 12:59 PM
No question in my mind the current set up is just not acceptable.You cannot make out a word at the top of the west.

It's really pretty disappointing to be met with "Oooh its too expensive to make it a workable system!"or predicable nonsense about spending the money on players.
Its not either or.

Just get a proper system for a proper club in the modern age please.
This has gone on long enough.
It makes us look silly as a Club....IMHO.

:flag::flag::flag:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-11-2018, 02:22 PM
You obviously weren’t at ER when it was played at full time after we beat the jambos? Pretty funny that time . We were having a party

I was, and it was equally rubbish.

But even if it was funny, it wasnt every other time its played.

Play Hibs songs, its hardly rocket science.

happiehibbie
07-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Just to add to this, if the kids can’t hear their name due to the poor tannoy then what’s the point?!

I don't disagree with the last comment.

Scott Wilson has it of to a tee!

clear as a bell
the supporters love him WHY because he looks at each game differently music to suit the fixture. He interacts with the crowd in many ways. He is aware of the Matchday experience. he does have cat blanche on what is said etc

Love or hate him

Remember we are the team that sacked a guy for playing the Tax man Scott would have been hailed a hero, He thought the guy getting sacked was awful.