PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Graham

Halmyre Hibee
04-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Reading on Facebook page Football Memories Scotland that former player Johnny Graham has passed away.

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Remember one of his early games for us at Easter Road it was a night game and I think he scored a couple of goals I thought he was going to be a big player for us I remember the cow shed singing “Johnny Graham Johnny Graham King of Scotland” Sadly it was to be short lived played 44 scored 14 a victim of the managerial Merry go round at that time and he was off on his travels.
RIP

Jonnyboy
04-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Sad to hear this. RIP Johnny

Tom Hart RIP
04-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Remember one of his early games for us at Easter Road it was a night game and I think he scored a couple of goals I thought he was going to be a big player for us I remember the cow shed singing “Johnny Graham Johnny Graham King of Scotland” Sadly it was to be short lived played 44 scored 14 a victim of the managerial Merry go round at that time and he was off on his travels.
RIP

I was there that night and thought he was going to be a superstar. Sad news

Iggy Pope
04-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Sad news. I had a vinyl pennant with Johnnys face and signature printed on it when I was a kid. And I have a framed photo of him and several Hibs greats welcoming Joe Baker back to Easter Road. He was part of a very good squad at Hibs. R.I.P. Johnny.

madsen5
04-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Sad to hear this. RIP Johnny

Very sad , remember when he signed was
Totally unexpected, think it was announced as he ran onto the pitch. Memory might be wrong though.
R.I.P.

Roxyhibee
04-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Ahh naw - that’s sad news.

Really liked Johnny Graham, was an exciting player - he came to Hibs when I was about 11 or 12 and loved the “Johnny - Johnny Graham, na na na na na, na na” song that night when he scored a couple.

Thanks for the great memories in a Hibs shirt Johnny.

Jonnyboy
04-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Totally unexpected, think it was announced as he ran onto the pitch. Memory might be wrong though.
R.I.P.

I remember he had a beard which was unusual in those days. When asked about it he explained that he grew it so as to stand out and give him a better chance of some team signing him from Falkirk. It worked

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 01:13 PM
R.I.P.
Yip! Sounds about right was a night game but no floodlights so it would have been August early September I remember every time he scored we all invaded the pitch Thanks for the memories Johnny

eastterrace
04-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Ahh naw - that’s sad news.

Really liked Johnny Graham, was an exciting player - he came to Hibs when I was about 11 or 12 and loved the “Johnny - Johnny Graham, na na na na na, na na” song that night when he scored a couple.

Thanks for the great memories in a Hibs shirt Johnny.

The beginning of the song was Hark the herald angels sing ,glory to the new born king , Johnny Johnny graham na na na na na

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
04-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Condolences to his family.

Don't know the circumstances but gone far too young.

Here’s Lucy!
04-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Don't know the circumstances but gone far too young.

Guessing he was mid-seventies?

brog
04-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Yip! Sounds about right was a night game but no floodlights so it would have been August early September I remember every time he scored we all invaded the pitch Thanks for the memories Johnny

He signed in the afternoon & played against Airdrie that night. It was definitely under the lights, think it was December or November. He scored 2 when we were 1 down with about 20 to go. With the absence of social media in those days hardly anyone knew he had signed & lots of folks thought he was Marinello at first. He was outstanding that 1st night & IIRC he scored 5 or 6 goals in his first few games playing really as a free ranging #10. Unfortunately we sold Peter Marinello soon after & Johnny then played more as a wide player which didn't help him. He probably had the best debut of any Hibs player I've ever seen but unfortunately & for a variety of reasons he never really kicked on. Sad news.

Famous Fiver
04-11-2018, 02:23 PM
69 I think.

Didn't make the three score years and ten.

I am well into my seventies and don't intend going anywhere just yet.

HIBERNIAN-0762
04-11-2018, 02:37 PM
Sad news. Always sang his song in the shed. RIP.

One Day
04-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Very sad R.I.P.

BILLYHIBS
04-11-2018, 03:22 PM
He signed in the afternoon & played against Airdrie that night. It was definitely under the lights, think it was December or November. He scored 2 when we were 1 down with about 20 to go. With the absence of social media in those days hardly anyone knew he had signed & lots of folks thought he was Marinello at first. He was outstanding that 1st night & IIRC he scored 5 or 6 goals in his first few games playing really as a free ranging #10. Unfortunately we sold Peter Marinello soon after & Johnny then played more as a wide player which didn't help him. He probably had the best debut of any Hibs player I've ever seen but unfortunately & for a variety of reasons he never really kicked on. Sad news.
Yip 11/11/69 I must be thinking of another victory in the early evening sun I remember his signing was totally out of the blue and took everyone by surprise. He actually played 58 times including cup ties and sub appearances scoring 20 times so not a bad return in anyone’s book

mim
04-11-2018, 03:29 PM
69 I think.

Didn't make the three score years and ten.

I am well into my seventies and don't intend going anywhere just yet.

He was 73. RIP Johnny.

heretoday
04-11-2018, 03:30 PM
I am very sad to hear this. My dad and I used to travel around in his car in pursuit of football matches. One night we chanced upon Falkirk v Celtic on a sodding wet night at Brockville. It wasn't long before Celts were to be European champs.

Falkirk won 6-2 and the man who did the damage was Johnny Graham.

I was overjoyed when he signed for Hibs but I always felt he didn't quite fulfill his promise. Did he suffer an injury or something?

jockspanner
04-11-2018, 04:16 PM
I am very sad to hear this. My dad and I used to travel around in his car in pursuit of football matches. One night we chanced upon Falkirk v Celtic on a sodding wet night at Brockville. It wasn't long before Celts were to be European champs.

I was overjoyed when he signed for Hibs but I always felt he didn't quite fulfill his promise. Did he suffer an injury or something?
One of my 1st heroes when I was growing up, he just had thing about him that made you get out off your seat, RIP Johnny.

WoreTheGreen
04-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Did he sign from Ayr and have a bad haircut

Billy Whizz
04-11-2018, 04:21 PM

Ayr United legend. I was brought up in Ayr, and he was a fantastic player for them

Dalianwanda
04-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Got a shock when i saw the post title as we share the same name...RIP JG

The Harp
04-11-2018, 04:48 PM
Always enjoyed watching Johnny play for Hibs. Very exciting player and popular with the fans.
Condolences to Johnny's family.

RIP

Ray_
04-11-2018, 04:53 PM
I was there that night and thought he was going to be a superstar. Sad news

Scored 2 in a 3-1 win against Airdrie on the evening of the day he signed.

R.I.P Johnny Graham who was in a forward line that read, Marinello, Graham, McBride, Cormack & Stevenson.

Ray_
04-11-2018, 05:00 PM

He was rather hot and cold after "that debut" I think it was more to do with the form of Jimmy O'Rourke although he did get called up for a game for the Scottish league. Both him and Eric Stevenson made their way to Somerset Park at a time that Ayr weren't too shabby.

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Scored 2 in a 3-1 win against Airdrie on the evening of the day he signed.

R.I.P Johnny Graham who was in a forward line that read, Marinello, Graham, McBride, Cormack & Stevenson.

Sad to hear He was a fine player in a good forward line, the forward line above won at Tincastle, Ipox and Darkheid all before Xmas, then something happened with our manager at the time Willie MacFarlane, the old grey matter not as sharp as it used to be.

brog
04-11-2018, 06:15 PM
He was rather hot and cold after "that debut" I think it was more to do with the form of Jimmy O'Rourke although he did get called up for a game for the Scottish league. Both him and Eric Stevenson made their way to Somerset Park at a time that Ayr weren't too shabby.

I'd forgotten he got a League cap. Think he may have scored as well.

Forza Fred
04-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Remember Johnny Graham well from his playing days.

An effervescent inside right most of the time and ended up leaving for Ayr United if I recall correctly.

Sad to hear of his passing.

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2018, 06:59 AM

A lot of bad haircuts around about that time I remember Colin Grant and John Brownlie both of the bowl variety

ancient hibee
05-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Sad to hear He was a fine player in a good forward line, the forward line above won at Tincastle, Ipox and Darkheid all before Xmas, then something happened with our manager at the time Willie MacFarlane, the old grey matter not as sharp as it used to be.
Tom Hart tried to pick Willie’s team(possibly part of a master plan to get Turnbull)and then got rid of McBride and Graham and the season collapsed under Dave Ewing.

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Tom Hart tried to pick Willie’s team(possibly part of a master plan to get Turnbull)and then got rid of McBride and Graham and the season collapsed under Dave Ewing.
Yip! Tom Hart told Willie MacFarlane not to select our top scorer Joe McBride for the Fairs Cities Cup tie versus Liverpool at Easter Road Willie refused and there was always going to be one winner

maudette 11
05-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Canny believe this, one of my Hero's. Lovely guy to the fans.

PeeJay
07-11-2018, 05:02 AM
Sad to hear of Johnny Grahams passing - one of my many favourite players at ER playing in one of the many good Hibs teams (at times) before the TTs came along ...

Forza Fred
07-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Yip! Tom Hart told Willie MacFarlane not to select our top scorer Joe McBride for the Fairs Cities Cup tie versus Liverpool at Easter Road Willie refused and there was always going to be one winner

Remember Willie MacFarlane telling me that Tom Hart rang him allegedly very drunk not once but twice that day to tell him to leave McBride and Graham out the side.

Dunno if it’s true, just relaying what Willie told me.

brog
07-11-2018, 09:10 AM

TBF to Dave Ewing he did produce the memorable phrase & headline of "Rangers are rubbish". My favourite Hibs manager comment until John Collins came up with "pub team".

BILLYHIBS
07-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Remember Willie MacFarlane telling me that Tom Hart rang him allegedly very drunk not once but twice that day to tell him to leave McBride and Graham out the side.

I was surprised to read that Johnny Graham left out and Joe McBride came on as a second half sub in the first leg which we lost 0-1 and both started the second leg which we lost 0-2.
The HIBS Manager for the first leg is listed as being Dave Ewing

ancient hibee
07-11-2018, 01:46 PM

He told me that as well -two days after.