PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in bogey teams?

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2018, 11:32 PM
St Johnstone seem to be the Premiership equivalent of what Falkirk were in the Championship. What happened today felt like a carbon copy of when we played Falkirk under Stubbs, admittedly St Johnstone aren’t nearly as dirty or cynical as Houston’s side were.

I can’t remember the last time we beat St Johnstone in the league (beat them at Tynie in the League Cup a couple of seasons ago), and we always seem to lose to them at home.

Steve20
03-11-2018, 11:53 PM
We’ve also dropped points against Livingston and Aberdeen in games we shouldn’t be. So bogey teams is a nonsense excuse.

DH1875
04-11-2018, 12:12 AM
St Johnstone should never be a bogey team. We should be better than them, end off.

stoneyburn hibs
04-11-2018, 12:29 AM
They are our bogey team.

Lex7zero
04-11-2018, 02:34 AM
They are not our bogey team. A decent team on a substantially lower budget who probably just about deserved a win today. Poor team selection by Lennon and a team he failed to motivate. Time for him to shape up or ship out.

PatHead
04-11-2018, 09:14 AM
They are not our bogey team. A decent team on a substantially lower budget who probably just about deserved a win today. Poor team selection by Lennon and a team he failed to motivate. Time for him to shape up or ship out.

Sniff sniff.

wookie70
04-11-2018, 11:13 AM
St Johnstone seem to be the Premiership equivalent of what Falkirk were in the Championship. What happened today felt like a carbon copy of when we played Falkirk under Stubbs, admittedly St Johnstone aren’t nearly as dirty or cynical as Houston’s side were.

I can’t remember the last time we beat St Johnstone in the league (beat them at Tynie in the League Cup a couple of seasons ago), and we always seem to lose to them at home.

When those teams have a consistent style and the same or like minded manager then it has more to do with that than being a "bogey team". It is sport though and psychology plays a part. If a team regularly does well against you that helps their positive thinking and might give you a doubt or two.

Smartie
04-11-2018, 11:18 AM
I don't like the phrase "bogey team", it smacks of a sense of entitlement to be beating St Johnstone.

They may have less supporters and a smaller budget than us, but they are a well run club who have an excellent track record at finishing high up in the Premier League.

They played well yesterday and look to be a decent side. They'll cause problems for the bigger teams in our league, and I don't think they'll be miles behind us at the end of the season.

If and when Neil Lennon moves on, I wouldn't be against us going for Wright. TBH the way he sets up teams and knows Scottish football, I thought he'd have been a decent shout as Scotland manager.

We should show decent clubs a bit more respect.

erin go bragh
04-11-2018, 02:01 PM
I don't like the phrase "bogey team", it smacks of a sense of entitlement to be beating St Johnstone.

They may have less supporters and a smaller budget than us, but they are a well run club who have an excellent track record at finishing high up in the Premier League.

They played well yesterday and look to be a decent side. They'll cause problems for the bigger teams in our league, and I don't think they'll be miles behind us at the end of the season.

If and when Neil Lennon moves on, I wouldn't be against us going for Wright. :bitchy: BH the way he sets up teams and knows Scottish football, I thought he'd have been a decent shout as Scotland manager.

We should show decent clubs a bit more respect.

No way would I want his negative Football at ER .

Keith_M
04-11-2018, 02:05 PM
I get your point, but no I don't believe in that.

As suggested by others, maybe Tommy Wright has out-thought Lennon, plus we seem to be going through a bad run of form just now.

Here’s Lucy!
04-11-2018, 02:08 PM

Aye, ok.

Fife-Hibee
04-11-2018, 02:14 PM
We're the bogey team at the moment. Total bogey to watch. St Johnstone deserved to win yesterday. It wasn't down to some stifling anti-football. It was 100% down to us and us only.

Mibbes Aye
04-11-2018, 02:15 PM
Kilmarnock in the nineties - we won a few games, sometimes convincingly, but they got results against us a lot more often than should have been the case on paper.

Falkirk maybe a wee bit like that too.

By the same token, during that spell we frequently played well against a Rangers team that were, in relative terms, one of the strongest and most dominant sides ever to compete in the Scottish top flight.

Hibs4185
04-11-2018, 02:30 PM
I remember a spell when airdrie were considered a bogey team

Joe6-2
04-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Roy Hodgson on Sky, ‘I don’t believe in hoodoos, certain teams can’t beat other teams, it’s how you play on the day’

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2018, 02:55 PM
kilmarnock appear to have a bogey team themselves...Aberdeen, one league win in 23 against them

Viva_Palmeiras
04-11-2018, 03:50 PM
If it’s any consolation outside of the OF (dunno bout the tribute) I reckon The Saintees
are Aberdeens bogey team...

heretoday
04-11-2018, 03:54 PM
I don't believe in bogeys :duck:

cabbageandribs1875
04-11-2018, 04:01 PM
If it’s any consolation outside of the OF (dunno bout the tribute) I reckon The Saintees
are Aberdeens bogey team...

1 win in the last 9 meetings against aberdeen suggests otherwise

cleanyman
04-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Our recent record against Aberdeen and St Johnstone is terrible

One league victory at home against the dons in ten years

No league victories against Saints in 6 years

No great

Here’s Lucy!
04-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Our recent record against Aberdeen and St Johnstone is terrible

One league victory at home against the dons in ten years

No league victories against Saints in 6 years

No great

But still not 'bogey teams'. It's just like the number 13, like standing on the joins on pavements, like black cats, like walking under ladders etc. etc.

A load of bloody mumbo jumbo.

SingaporeHibs
04-11-2018, 04:15 PM
I get your point, but no I don't believe in that.

As suggested by others, maybe Tommy Wright has out-thought Lennon, plus we seem to be going through a bad run of form just now.

I think Saturday was another example of Lennon out thinking himself with regard to the team he put on the park. Not sure Wright was the cause of our downfall.