PDA

View Full Version : Demarai Gray booking - stupid decision

hfc rd
03-11-2018, 10:38 PM
Other than our result and performance against St Johnstone today, this really annoyed me.

Demarai scored the only and winning goal for Leicester City in their game against Cardiff City today and was booked for taking his shirt off whilst celebrating with his teammates. Yeah I know when that gets done it’s a booking as it’s in the law but the message on his under armour read - For Khun Vichai. Paying tribute to their Thai owner who sadly lost his life along with 4 other people in that sad, tragic helicopter crash last Saturday night near the King Power Stadium. I personally think the ref should have used a common sense approach and kept his card in his pocket as the message unveiled was to show support to a guy that done so much for that club.

hibbysam
03-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Other than our result and performance against St Johnstone today, this really annoyed me.

Demarai scored the only and winning goal for Leicester City in their game against Cardiff City today and was booked for taking his shirt off whilst celebrating with his teammates. Yeah I know when that gets done it’s a booking as it’s in the law but the message on his under armour read - For Khun Vichai. Paying tribute to their Thai owner who sadly lost his life along with 4 other people in that sad, tragic helicopter crash last Saturday night near the King Power Stadium. I personally think the ref should have used a common sense approach and kept his card in his pocket as the message unveiled was to show support to a guy that done so much for that club.

I get what you are saying, but what happens when he then makes a challenge 3 minutes later which is a yellow. He should be sent off (by the laws of the game, but as the referee has allowed him to get away with the first one he doesn’t get the red), Cardiff would then be feeling slightly hard done by.

Like David Gray in our cup final, players know they will get booked however feel its worth the booking.

Claude Puel said it perfectly, he asked his players to play professionally, so he expects the referee to referee professionally, and he did.

Watch it again, and as soon as Gray takes his top off, Probert has an absolutely gutted reaction on his face as he knows what he’s going to have to do.

Sir David Gray
03-11-2018, 11:05 PM
I get what you are saying, but what happens when he then makes a challenge 3 minutes later which is a yellow. He should be sent off (by the laws of the game, but as the referee has allowed him to get away with the first one he doesn’t get the red), Cardiff would then be feeling slightly hard done by.

Like David Gray in our cup final, players know they will get booked however feel its worth the booking.

Claude Puel said it perfectly, he asked his players to play professionally, so he expects the referee to referee professionally, and he did.

Watch it again, and as soon as Gray takes his top off, Probert has an absolutely gutted reaction on his face as he knows what he’s going to have to do.

Nothing you have just said there is wrong but I just think this was poor judgement from the referee given the circumstances. No-one would have punished the referee for failing to book the player here. It's just such an extraordinary thing that's happened here.

There's already a precedent been set for this type of thing anyway since Billy Sharp escaped a booking for a similar celebration a few years ago after his baby son had just died. The referee in that match was commended for his common sense approach.

hibbysam
03-11-2018, 11:41 PM
Nothing you have just said there is wrong but I just think this was poor judgement from the referee given the circumstances. No-one would have punished the referee for failing to book the player here. It's just such an extraordinary thing that's happened here.

There's already a precedent been set for this type of thing anyway since Billy Sharp escaped a booking for a similar celebration a few years ago after his baby son had just died. The referee in that match was commended for his common sense approach.

No one, except the one person that matters in a referees career and that is his match delegate who marks his performance. Again, I totally agree that common sense should be allowed to prevail, but referees down south are full time professionals, and the slightest mark against them could have a huge impact on his career and livelihood. It’s understandable why he’s done what he’s done. For all we know, the FA may have spoken to him beforehand and reminded him that regardless of the occasion, rules must still be followed correctly.

Carheenlea
04-11-2018, 04:55 AM
The player knew he would be booked, but in the circumstances a booking that was worth it to pay his tribute and doubt they will be that bothered with the card.

Ryan69
04-11-2018, 07:05 AM
The laws ofthe game state its a booking...so cant just make exceptions.

Im sure he doesnt care about being booked...and was well aware he would be.
Some things are worth it.

Sir David Gray
04-11-2018, 08:13 AM
The laws ofthe game state its a booking...so cant just make exceptions.

Im sure he doesnt care about being booked...and was well aware he would be.
Some things are worth it.

Read my earlier post. Exceptions HAVE been made. Billy Sharp wasn't booked when he revealed a tribute to his baby son who had recently died a few years ago.

The referee was doing his job, no issue with that but totally lacked common sense and a bit of compassion.

danhibees1875
04-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Read my earlier post. Exceptions HAVE been made. Billy Sharp wasn't booked when he revealed a tribute to his baby son who had recently died a few years ago.

The referee was doing his job, no issue with that but totally lacked common sense and a bit of compassion.

I'm not sure on the exact rules - but sharp didn't actually take his shirt off (not sure what the Leicester player did).

Ref done his job and applied the rules consistently - I don't think he can be making exceptions regardless of the occasion as it would just start happening all the time.

Spike Mandela
04-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Refs using a ‘common sense’ approah just leaves the door open for refs to be more ‘lenient’, with teams like Rangers.

Same as the old attitude about the ref ‘setting his stall out’ by not booking someone early in the game. A bad foul is a bad foul if it’s in the first minute or the 90th. Refs should aim to be consistent not wait and see how his mood is.

If the rule and instruction is an automatic booking for taking his top off then the ref should book him. If the FA want to then overule it to satisfy the hand wringers that is up to them but the ref shouldn’t be hung out to dry.

Sir David Gray
04-11-2018, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure on the exact rules - but sharp didn't actually take his shirt off (not sure what the Leicester player did).

Ref done his job and applied the rules consistently - I don't think he can be making exceptions regardless of the occasion as it would just start happening all the time.

This is the exact clarification of the rule from FIFA;

So as to avoid any ambiguities and facilitate the correct interpretation and application of the Law, a player will be deemed to have removed his jersey - and therefore become liable for a caution - if the jersey has been pulled over the player's head, or if his head has been covered by the jersey (see illustration - Removal of the jersey guidelines ).

Billy Sharp kept his shirt on but pulled it over his head and behind his neck so that he could display his tribute to his son on his t-shirt underneath.

Given the above clarification of the rule, the referee would have booked him for unsporting conduct if he had been doing his job properly by following the letter of the law.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Let's make a list of common sense exceptions ...

danhibees1875
04-11-2018, 09:06 AM

So as to avoid any ambiguities and facilitate the correct interpretation and application of the Law, a player will be deemed to have removed his jersey - and therefore become liable for a caution - if the jersey has been pulled over the player's head, or if his head has been covered by the jersey (see illustration - Removal of the jersey guidelines ).

Billy Sharp kept his shirt on but pulled it over his head and behind his neck so that he could display his tribute to his son on his t-shirt underneath.

Given the above clarification of the rule, the referee would have booked him for unsporting conduct if he had been doing his job properly by following the letter of the law.

Unfortunately so, yes.

I'm not sure why, as I have every sympathy for what has happened to Leicester and to someone who by all accounts seems to be a very good man, but the two situations just dont seem comparable to me. I think the ref was right to book Gray but I'm feeling more lenient about the Sharp incident.

Hibbyradge
04-11-2018, 09:11 AM

In which case he didn't do his job properly. I understand why, but that's the facts.

What if, when the queen dies, players take their shirts off to reveal messages of sympathy?

Or if a Muslim player does similar when his local Imam dies?

Or a comedian the player was very fond of?

Who judges what is acceptable?

The Green Goblin
04-11-2018, 09:35 AM
In which case he didn't do his job properly. I understand why, but that's the facts.

What if, when the queen dies, players take their shirts off to reveal messages of sympathy?

Me. Here’s your list:

Grotbags
Shrek
The Wicked Witch of the West
The Incredible Hulk
Kermit
The Jolly Green Giant

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2018, 09:36 AM

Spot on Dave, let the ref do his job properly, and the authorities above him can change it at a later date if it's deemed necessary.

Every referee cannot be seen making up the rules to suite different situations, albeit we see it most weeks with the clowns in our league.

overdrive
04-11-2018, 09:39 AM
What would have happened if Cardiff had equalised and their scorer removed his top with no message underneath? Should he book him? If not, that’s hardly fair on players playing in other matches. If he does book him, Cardiff have the right to be aggrieved.

I don’t agree with the exception made for Sharp and I also didn’t agree with the exception made to Jake Livermore for his failed drugs test.