PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St Johnstone 03112018)

Jonnyboy
03-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Every team has a bogey team and from a Hibs perspective, that team is surely St. Johnstone. Prior to the meeting today the last four fixtures had resulted in three draws and a win for the Saints. Today they added to the wins column and in truth they deserved to do so as we never really got going and with more luck the winning margin might have been greater.

With Kamberi suspended, Lenny brought Jamie Mac in as a straight replacement and there were starting places too for Horgan and Hyndman to the exclusion of McGregor and Slivka which meant starting with a back four as Whitty and Lewis flanked Efe and Milli.

The game started slowly and it seemed apparent from early on that Hibs, like the atmosphere, were flat and our proud 2018 home record was soon under threat as Tony Watt was giving Milligan all sorts of problems in winning the majority of battles against the Hibs defender. A corner to the visitors saw the ball reach young Nydam and his thunderous shot cracked off the bar with Bogdan well beaten. In response, Boyler had an effort that flew just wide but our midfield lacked creativity and Maclaren struggled to get any decent service. The movement and sheer presence of Kamberi was a big miss with anything played into the box at height being easily cleared by the St. Johnstone defence. A cheeky Craig free kick found Stevenson alert to the danger with a headed clearance and it wasn’t really until the late stages of the first half that Hibs started to enjoy any meaningful possession as both Horgan and Mallan tried their luck but to no avail.

Whatever was said in the Hibs dressing room at half time there was no obvious change to our play as St. Johnstone comfortably dominated possession with Watt missing a glorious chance to put his side in front when he headed the ball wide of the target from just four yards out.

Around ten minutes in, Hibs had two fantastic efforts which Zander Clark did well to keep out. The first came from Boyle from around twenty five yards and the second from Mallan who was even further out when he hit the shot. Clark’s two saves were outstanding as he clawed the ball wide from Boyle’s effort and seemed to chest the ball out from Mallan’s, my assumption being that it must have moved when in in motion. Next, Maclaren dragged a shot wide after being fed the opportunity by Stevenson.

At this point, St. Johnstone brought on former Hibee Danny Swanson who soon made his presence felt as Bartley tripped him in the box. Swanson took the kick himself but Bogdan dived full length to deflect the ball around the post. It looked a decent hit and it looked a super save.

Both sides looked as though they wanted to find a winner with His going close through Maclaren and McGregor but it would be the hosts that achieved that target. A high ball was allowed to bounce by McGregor and that allowed Chris Kane to get beyond him. Daz impeded him, the ref rightly gave a free kick and Shaughnessy met Wotherspoon’s free kick to head home from point blank range. It was a sickening blow but in truth it always looked likely as Hibs were shaky at the back, subdued in midfield and ineffective up front.

The players

Adam – I thought he was solid again, made a great save from the penalty and had no chance with the winning goal as his defensive team mates let him down.

Whitty – After a good display on Wednesday night, Steven failed to follow it up and his decision making was all over the place at times.

Efe – Was pretty muck ok in the back three but when he moved to right back in the reshuffle he looked very suspect and has developed a worrying habit of standing too far off his man and being beaten easily as a result.

Milli – Mark really struggled against the pace and power of Tony Watt and although I’m aware he’s played in central defence for his country I wonder whether it was ever part of a back three. I’d far rather see him further forward where his calming influence and experience can greatly help our creative midfield players.

Emerson – I like the laddie as I think he has a good football brain but he was pretty much over run today and struggled to make any real impact.

Marv – Once again the big man was handed the captain’s armband and once again he put in a performance worthy of both the sponsor’s and my man of the match award.

Stevie – Struggled for large parts of the game but was unlucky with a couple of strikes from distance as Zander Clark is massive as well as being an excellent keeper.

Daryl - Buzzed around a lot and in fairness did try to make things happen.

Lewis – One of the very few who played to his strengths today. Up and down the line, always available and for the most part kept the tricky Drey Wright in check.

Boyler – Not one of Martin’s better days as he looked lethargic and was too often caught on his heels. I love Boyler but I do wonder if he’s ever going to learn to look up before playing a pass. Too many went straight to Saints players today.

Jamie – When you’re about 5’8 or so and playing as the main striker you can’t do any great damage if the ball is launched into the air rather than along the ground. As a consequence he was rarely involved.

Daz – Replaced Whitty around the 70 minute mark as Hibs switched to a back four. Sadly, I am of the opinion that we lost the game due to a basic error by Daz. Letting the ball bounce puts you at a disadvantage and in trying to regain possession he gave away a needless free kick from which the visitors scored.

Slivka – Replaced the tiring and largely ineffective Hyndman and though he worked hard enough he didn’t really make any positive impact on proceedings.

Oli – Came on for Horgan, worked hard enough but made no positive impact.

The ref – A couple of very odd decisions but was largely ok.

Lenny – Neil must know the fans are right behind him.

The fans – A Hibs Kids day but flat as a pancake and it’s really saying something when St. Johnsatone fans are ‘ridiculing’ the home support.

PatHead
03-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Fair summary. We just never got going and that wasn’t down to St Johnstone. Poor day all round.

Billy Whizz
03-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Great report as always JB. Thought we were flat from the start. Think also we had too many similar type of players playing in forward areas
Marvin got MOTM, but for me too much play went through him

We just need to take it on the chin and plan for a tough game at Aberdeen

Dalianwanda
03-11-2018, 08:10 PM
I think he fact that your descriptions faded out were a pretty accurate account of the game

BILLYHIBS
03-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Ridicule the home support?

When was the last time their wee subuteo stadium had 17500 in it?

Imagine the queue in their ****ty wee car park

I heard them singing it but surely in jest?

Jonnyboy
03-11-2018, 08:34 PM
The fact that you heard them singing it is exactly my point :greengrin

Eyrie
03-11-2018, 08:36 PM
A fair summation of a disappointing non-performance.

wookie70
03-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Pretty spot on. Daz will be disappointed with himself.

BILLYHIBS
03-11-2018, 08:56 PM

No worries Johnny Boy a few spaces today but me thinks they would die for our ****y home support how long we can hang onto them is another question?

Nicho87
03-11-2018, 09:06 PM
Horgan was awful

Shrekko
03-11-2018, 09:18 PM
No worries Johnny Boy a few spaces today but me thinks they would die for our ****y home support how long we can hang onto them is another question?

I know - that’s one home defeat in about 10 months now!! Shocking.

Could see by the mass clear-out when the goal went in that the fans aren’t exactly gonna stick by the team through thick and thin right enough.

Allant1981
03-11-2018, 09:39 PM
Horgan was awful

no he wasnt

cleanyman
03-11-2018, 09:41 PM
no he wasnt

He wasn't awful

He was bad though

Blaster
03-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Another game for me where Slivka showed nothing. Wednesday and sub today. Brings nothing to the table

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Another game for me where Slivka showed nothing. Wednesday and sub today. Brings nothing to the table

He played 10 minutes and no one offered anything on Wednesday. Hamilton and Dundee he was excellent. There you go, 2 actual full games on good pitches in his right position. Offers plenty.

green day
03-11-2018, 10:05 PM
I know - that’s one home defeat in about 10 months now!! Shocking.

Could see by the mass clear-out when the goal went in that the fans aren’t exactly gonna stick by the team through thick and thin right enough.

Maybe a bit unfair?

Fans are not daft.

We were (very) poor today, couldn't break down Aberdeen in the cup, quite negative against hearts, lucky to win against Killie earlier in season, drew away in Perth, lost at Livingston.

These are not the results of a team that looks like doing anything other than scrape top 6.

Home record has been good, but we don't look like a team with 2-3 times the budget of Killie, st J etc.

It's not great stuff at the moment, tbh.

Blaster
03-11-2018, 10:09 PM
He played 10 minutes and no one offered anything on Wednesday. Hamilton and Dundee he was excellent. There you go, 2 actual full games on good pitches in his right position. Offers plenty.

He came on 69 mins. I call that 21 mins but we can round it down if you want. Not good enough and posted missing on Wednesday too

Me or you could have played against the 2 clubs mentioned. We need better

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2018, 10:14 PM
He came on 69 mins. I call that 21 mins but we can round it down if you want. Not good enough and posted missing on Wednesday too

Me or you could have played against the 2 clubs mentioned. We need better

Ah fair enough. 20 minutes is more than enough to judge a player. What did Kamberi do on Wednesday other than be sent off? Or Boyle? It was an awful game.

We struggled Vs those teams last season. Slivka helped us comfortably beat them now. I trust Lennon who obviously rates him 👍

Blaster
03-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Ah fair enough. 20 minutes is more than enough to judge a player. What did Kamberi do on Wednesday other than be sent off? Or Boyle? It was an awful game.

We struggled Vs those teams last season. Slivka helped us comfortably beat them now. I trust Lennon who obviously rates him 👍

I can list what Boyle or Kamberi has done for our team on multiple occasions. Slivka hides. Good skill it seems but not a game changer for me

Opinions mate. I want him to do well but I’d rather see someone like Fraser Murray get game time

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2018, 10:32 PM
I can list what Boyle or Kamberi has done for our team on multiple occasions. Slivka hides. Good skill it seems but not a game changer for me

Opinions mate. I want him to do well but I’d rather see someone like Fraser Murray get game time

Slivka doesn't hide at all. You genuinely think Neil Lennon would play someone at Tynecastle who hides?

eastterrace
03-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Slivka doesn't hide at all. You genuinely think Neil Lennon would play someone at Tynecastle who hides?

He played him at Tynie castle for his height, the guys is so slow at turning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blaster
03-11-2018, 10:48 PM

Do you think he offers us anything? I expect a sub like him today to make a difference and the only time I can recall him touching the ball was a tackle he made and they got a throw

Nicho87
03-11-2018, 10:51 PM
We have definitely gone backwards from last year.
We were always going to losing that midfield off last season but my god I think we could have still been playing and not scored. There was only one team looking to win or likely to win that game today and it wasn’t hibs.

we looked slow, short of ideas.
hyndman had a very good game against Hamilton and I’d hoped he kick on from there.
slivka keeps getting chances and not taking them. Not the answer for me.

i asked my little brother in law on the way home today. Who would you rather if both fit?
slivka or Fyvie?

we both agreed it wasn’t slivka. For me we have to much ok players. Mallan can’t be expected to be the only spark in a midfield.

Smartie
03-11-2018, 10:54 PM
We have definitely gone backwards from last year.
We were always going to losing that midfield off last season but my god I think we could have still been playing and not scored. There was only one team looking to win or likely to win that game today and it wasn’t hibs.

we looked slow, short of ideas.
hyndman had a very good game against Hamilton and I’d hoped he kick on from there.
slivka keeps getting chances and not taking them. Not the answer for me.

i asked my little brother in law on the way home today. Who would you rather if both fit?
slivka or Fyvie?

we both agreed it wasn’t slivka. For me we have to much ok players. Mallan can’t be expected to be the only spark in a midfield.

I think the fact that Lennon keeps chopping and changing his team shows that he doesn't have total faith in any of them.

It was always going to be a challenge to replace last season's midfield, and I don't think we've cracked it quite yet.

Juniper Greens
03-11-2018, 11:05 PM
We were crap. For now, not worried, but a couple more bad performances and I may change my mind

skyhibs
03-11-2018, 11:10 PM
We were second to every ball in the first half... only one team wanted to win and it wasn’t hibs.. so unprofessional. Pish poor performance and should not be tolerated.., let the fans down badly today as they did on Wednesday.

Fergos
03-11-2018, 11:29 PM
I think the fact that Lennon keeps chopping and changing his team shows that he doesn't have total faith in any of them.

It was always going to be a challenge to replace last season's midfield, and I don't think we've cracked it quite yet.

Fair comment I'd say Smartie, pretty much where I'm at. Don't think NL knows his best, go to team yet.

Creatively we are lacking from middle to top, would like another striker too. That would be my priority in January for signings. And aye....Scott Allen would be great.

GGTTH

marinello59
03-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Good stuff again JB.
For me only Bartley, Bogdan and Stevenson get pass marks today. We looked like a team suffering a mental and physical hangover from the Derby. Not near good enough.

number9dream
04-11-2018, 12:10 AM
“Mark really struggled against the pace and power of Tony Watt”

Terrifying statement... After a bright start, Milligan has been toiling. The positional changes won’t help though.
Lack of pace exposed in defence and now Marvin is back to give him a run for his money in central midfield.

Smartie
04-11-2018, 12:11 AM
“Mark really struggled against the pace and power of Tony Watt”

Terrifying statement... After a bright start, Milligan has been toiling. The positional changes won’t help though.
Lack of pace exposed in defence and now Marvin is back to give him a run for his money in central midfield.

To be fair to Watt, he looked to have exactly what we were lacking today.

erin go bragh
04-11-2018, 12:23 AM
Only noise heard from them came after they scored . Ref imo had a nightmare, gave us nothing and them everything. East stand linesman was just as bad. Poor team formation/players picked from Lennon today . Porteous in a back 3 with Stevenson and Boyle wing backs . Milligan in the middle , with Shaw up top with Maclaren and we would not have lost . We might even had won . But one defeat at home in 11 months isn’t too shabby.

NAE NOOKIE
04-11-2018, 01:03 AM
I cant even be bothered to mark the players after that game.

It was a flat performance devoid of craft, movement and pace. We had no out ball due to a lack of height up front so the St Johnstone central defence had little to contend with.

Far too many ineffective players today and absolutely nobody on the bench capable of coming on and changing the game.

We simply cant afford to play like that again or we will be looking at mid table mediocrity this season … its becoming pretty clear that we need a Scott Allan type midfielder, the lad Scott Allan at Celtic looks useful. At the start of the season I was laughing at suggestions that we should look at Steven Dobbie, now I'm beginning to wonder if that was as funny as I thought it was.

eastcoasthibby
04-11-2018, 08:46 AM
Maybe a bit unfair?

Fans are not daft.

We were (very) poor today, couldn't break down Aberdeen in the cup, quite negative against hearts, lucky to win against Killie earlier in season, drew away in Perth, lost at Livingston.

These are not the results of a team that looks like doing anything other than scrape top 6.

Home record has been good, but we don't look like a team with 2-3 times the budget of Killie, st J etc.

It's not great stuff at the moment, tbh.
Agree with this post we dont play well.enough consisti enough to show we are a threat or challenge to being a top 4 team.
Your point about our budget via all bar 4 others.is very good, yet it really doesnt show on the park often enough. If we are paying most of.our players 2 or 3 times.the wages than these teams then we are entitled to expect more from them, in effort at least if their skills arent coming off.

Nicho87
04-11-2018, 08:53 AM
1 point out of 9 with Aberdeen away on Friday it’s probably one of Lennons poorest runs as boss

Hermit Crab
04-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Horgan was awful

So was JM, done hee haw.