PDA

View Full Version : Euro league

Ozyhibby
02-11-2018, 08:14 PM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/278222/top-secret-european-super-league-summit-revealedman-u-arsenal-chelsea-liverpool-and-man-city-chiefs-in-talks-to-leave-champions-league/

Top clubs ready to form European league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibs#1
02-11-2018, 08:18 PM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/278222/top-secret-european-super-league-summit-revealedman-u-arsenal-chelsea-liverpool-and-man-city-chiefs-in-talks-to-leave-champions-league/

Article is 2 years old.

Ozyhibby
02-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Ah, so it is. Not sure why it just appeared on my Twitter.

Lago
02-11-2018, 10:31 PM

And when that gets boring, a world league.

JeMeSouviens
02-11-2018, 10:59 PM
This one’s new:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/02/five-english-clubs-named-in-super-league-plan-chelsea-manchester-city-united-arsenal-liverpool

The usual trick is rumour a plan like this to scare the **** out of uefa who then fold and make the champions league even more loaded in their favour.

theonlywayisup
03-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Seems on the agenda again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

Top European clubs have held secret talks to create a European Super League, according to a report by German publication Der Spiegel.

Can't imagine the English Premiership being anywhere as interesting as today if this was to happen. The lesser teams in that league will be worried.

Ozyhibby
03-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Seems on the agenda again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46078651

Top European clubs have held secret talks to create a European Super League, according to a report by German publication Der Spiegel.

Can't imagine the English Premiership being anywhere as interesting as today if this was to happen. The lesser teams in that league will be worried.

Think the plan is for the top teams to leave the premiership.

Bishop Hibee
03-11-2018, 12:01 PM
I’ve said for years an NFL style Euro League will happen. Money talks sadly.

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2018, 12:04 PM
i hope my team are never some rich tw@ts plaything/money laundering outfit

steelendhibs
03-11-2018, 12:04 PM
I’ve said for years an NFL style Euro League will happen. Money talks sadly.

But can the glory hunters that follow all these teams cope with finishing say 12th? I am not so sure

Ozyhibby
03-11-2018, 12:28 PM
But can the glory hunters that follow all these teams cope with finishing say 12th? I am not so sure

They are talking €500m per team tv money every year with no relegation. I can see it happening.

Phil MaGlass
03-11-2018, 01:10 PM
I wonder if sellik and the huns will still want to go to england if it happens?

lucky
03-11-2018, 01:12 PM
It’s going happen sooner or later but it will shunned by fans of other clubs as it won’t be relevant to fans of clubs not in it. Personally I won’t be paying another subscription to watch it

Ozyhibby
03-11-2018, 01:21 PM
It’s going happen sooner or later but it will shunned by fans of other clubs as it won’t be relevant to fans of clubs not in it. Personally I won’t be paying another subscription to watch it

I don’t watch Champions league anymore anyway and only occasionally watch MOTD but there are plenty of armchair fans who will lap it up.

hibbysam
03-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Couldn’t think of anything worse. Utter howfing idea, imagine playing in a league where finishing second or last came with the same ‘prize’ 😂 give me our league and structure any day of the week. Champions, European football, top 6, relegation, play offs, cups etc. That’s what football has always been about and should always be about.

jgl07
03-11-2018, 01:23 PM
It will be shunned by a lot of fans of the clubs involved.

There is no stomach for a European League apart from a few at Celtic Park. That is why it will never happen.

If it did, I suspect the whole thing would collapse within two or three seasons.

Ozyhibby
03-11-2018, 01:24 PM
It will be shunned by a lot of fans of the clubs involved.

There is no stomach for a European League apart from a few at Celtic Park. That is why it will never happen.

If it did, I suspect the whole thing would collapse within two or three seasons.

The fans will be won over by a combination of media hype and promises of having the best players in the world.
And I doubt Celtic will get an invite.

Ozyhibby
05-11-2018, 08:19 AM
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-must-grow-a-backbone-or-super-league-will-be-here-in-a-decade-p9x00k7sg

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2018, 08:22 AM
It’s a NO from me. 😂

Alan62
05-11-2018, 08:37 AM
I very seldom watch Champions' League Football. I almost never watch the English Premiership. I long since stopped watching Match of the Day. The thought of a European Super League leaves me absolutely cold.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Fans from the USA and Asia would mean it would be a massive success financially. They don't care about us when there's so many armchair fans from other lands.

It would never happen without the English clubs and their fans will never allow it so nothing to worry about.

greenpaper55
05-11-2018, 08:49 AM
I can see this happening as the big clubs will want a bigger share of the pot that they create. The trouble with that is it devalues what remains, would you pay £100 or so a month to watch Burnley v Watford or the like as that's what you will get if you take out the top teams ?

Ozyhibby
05-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Fans from the USA and Asia would mean it would be a massive success financially. They don't care about us when there's so many armchair fans from other lands.

It would never happen without the English clubs and their fans will never allow it so nothing to worry about.

English fans will buy into it no problem.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-11-2018, 10:10 AM
The fans will be won over by a combination of media hype and promises of having the best players in the world.
And I doubt Celtic will get an invite.

I agree it will be on the agenda, but what i dont think will work is why would it be any better for these clubs?

They already have enough money to buy the best players in the world, more money cant increase quality, it will onpy inflate transfer fees and wages for the same players they already have.

Fans of these teams will have to deal with not winning routinely, and with meaningless games. Also they wont be able to travel as regularly, so a large part of fan culture will be lost.

And the history of league titles and european cups will be lost, replaced by some trophy won via a playoff with no histpry.

Tv companies will love it, as will all the plastic tv fans in asia, as will owners who gain more cash.

jodjam
05-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Liverpool lightening v Real Madrid royals at soccerball played at a time to suit non Europe markets. What’s not to like

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2018, 10:22 AM
English fans will buy into it no problem.

Why would they? Very few away games, ridiculous kick off times for Asia/middle East/USA, no quarenteed success, not able to dominate and bully clubs around them.

The English clubs and fans will be strongly against it imo.

chippy
05-11-2018, 10:34 AM
This could go in a couple of directions:
1) they leave the auspices of Uefa totally and have a 16 team invite league with a possible 2nd tier scooping up massive TV deals. Could work for a few years but later no term not sure.
2) this is a stalking horse for a similar set up ie 16 team invite league and possible 2nd tier but under some possibly light touch auspices of Uefa. Some. Probably attempt to keep a 2nd team in National league. Opens door around on other fully sanctioned cross border leagues whilst also clubs maintaining a team in n their national leagues.
3) near obliteration of national leagues with cross border set ups only

Whatever happens I think cross border set ups will happen preferably in parallel with national leagues.

PeeJay
05-11-2018, 10:45 AM
I agree it will be on the agenda, but what i dont think will work is why would it be any better for these clubs?

They already have enough money to buy the best players in the world, more money cant increase quality, it will onpy inflate transfer fees and wages for the same players they already have.

F

Think for a certain German club this is the only way it feels that it will be able to compete with the Premier League teams and their financial resources? FCB fans unfurled a banner at the weekend protesting that they would not welcome it ... like it matters!

These clubs - believe it or not - do not think that they have enough money as you claim - it is a business for them, not really sport anymore: they want to make more profit! The word is that the 11 clubs making up the agreement cannot be "relegated" for a total of 20 years - nor will they be prepared to share any money generated in the new ESL with "lesser clubs" not involved ... not much solidarity there either.

It all has nothing to do with "sporting integrity", "competition" or "fair play" anymore - it is scandalous of course, as are FIFA, UEFA and so on ....

Ozyhibby
05-11-2018, 10:55 AM

Fans of these teams will have to deal with not winning routinely, and with meaningless games. Also they wont be able to travel as regularly, so a large part of fan culture will be lost.

And the history of league titles and european cups will be lost, replaced by some trophy won via a playoff with no histpry.

Tv companies will love it, as will all the plastic tv fans in asia, as will owners who gain more cash.

If it is bringing in £500m per year per club they will want it. A good few clubs are now owned by American and they will push for a salary cap so that the owners can keep more of the money.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Think for a certain German club this is the only way it feels that it will be able to compete with the Premier League teams and their financial resources? FCB fans unfurled a banner at the weekend protesting that they would not welcome it ... like it matters!

These clubs - believe it or not - do not think that they have enough money as you claim - it is a business for them, not really sport anymore: they want to make more profit! The word is that the 11 clubs making up the agreement cannot be "relegated" for a total of 20 years - nor will they be prepared to share any money generated in the new ESL with "lesser clubs" not involved ... not much solidarity there either.

It all has nothing to do with "sporting integrity", "competition" or "fair play" anymore - it is scandalous of course, as are FIFA, UEFA and so on ....

Agree - but without fan support, it is doomed to fail. All it woypd take was for a presidential candidate for barca or real to get elected on a mandate to scupper.

I think it coyld happen, and it might actually work oit well for the left behinds, i just dont see who, other than money men, would want it.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-11-2018, 02:14 PM
If it is bringing in £500m per year per club they will want it. A good few clubs are now owned by American and they will push for a salary cap so that the owners can keep more of the money.

I get that and i dont disagree, but if all of your rivals also get the same, then cluns are cooperatively no better off.

Ozyhibby
05-11-2018, 02:32 PM
I get that and i dont disagree, but if all of your rivals also get the same, then cluns are cooperatively no better off.

The clubs would bring in a lot more money. That’s all this is about and if the owners can find a way to curb inflation in players salaries then it means more money for them.