PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to improve derby safety standards at Tynecastle

G B Young
02-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Thoughts?

Since90+2
02-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Some of these suggestions are ridiculous and playing into the narrative that Wednesday night was a warzone.

Stop taking tickets? It really is getting silly now.

Ryan69
02-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Build a Tesco on it.

Hermit Crab
02-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Other. Man up. Its a football derby match.

wookie70
02-11-2018, 03:54 PM
1, 2, 4 and 5 for me. The other would be, Tin Hat on, more relations being fostered between the two clubs. I still want to hammer Hearts and watch them humiliated in a footballing sense, call their 7 foot midfielder a dirty Hearts B and goad them about their Tiny ground with its bus shelter styling but I want Edinburgh to be recognised for its intense footballing rivalry in a similar way to Liverpool. That won't be easy but there is no reason it can't be attempted and you see in workplaces around Edinburgh that rivalry demonstrated every day of the week in the way it should be.

hibby6270
02-11-2018, 04:04 PM
I’ve gone for the “other” option. While I think the ‘cover first few rows’ might help, how about installing one of these great big nets across the whole of the stand(s). You see them all over Europe but I can’t think of anywhere in Scotland (or England for that matter) that they are used?

OK - they wouldn’t stop a mass pitch invasion but they are an almost invisible barrier between the pitch and the fans. They would certainly stop the majority of missiles (cups, flares, ‘punches’, larger objects, etc) reaching any intended target. Might not stop a coin but overall a much mor humane than the steel fences we had to endure through the late 70’s, the entire 80’s and into th3 early 90’s.

A Hi-Bee
02-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Close it down as being not fit for purpose.

Ringothedog
02-11-2018, 04:08 PM
The hysteria from some on her is absolutely incredible. I have been to worse derby games at Tynecastle for violence. It wasn't pleasant but was no where near the worst

A Hi-Bee
02-11-2018, 04:10 PM
The hysteria from some on her is absolutely incredible. I have been to worse derby games at Tynecastle for violence. It wasn't pleasant but was no where near the worst

It dont matter if it was better or worse, and I to have been to many a lot worse as well but the place should be closed down as being not fit for purpose,

Smartie
02-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Anyone with 11 fingers or more should be refused entry.

Hermit Crab
02-11-2018, 04:13 PM
I’ve gone for the “other” option. While I think the ‘cover first few rows’ might help, how about installing one of these great big nets across the whole of the stand(s). You see them all over Europe but I can’t think of anywhere in Scotland (or England for that matter) that they are used?

OK - they wouldn’t stop a mass pitch invasion but they are an almost invisible barrier between the pitch and the fans. They would certainly stop the majority of missiles (cups, flares, ‘punches’, larger objects, etc) reaching any intended target. Might not stop a coin but overall a much mor humane than the steel fences we had to endure through the late 70’s, the entire 80’s and into th3 early 90’s.

Thats because we don't need them.

Have you ever watched a game through them? Horrendous.

B.H.F.C
02-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Can’t believe anybody is suggesting we stop taking tickets for the place.

Hermit Crab
Close it down as being not fit for purpose.

It dont matter if it was better or worse, and I to have been to many a lot worse as well but the place should be closed down as being not fit for purpose,

Complete rubbish. If that was really the case do you think they'd be allowed to use it? :rolleyes:

Moulin Yarns

But is any of it acceptable?

I decided I had had enough of going to Edinburgh Derbys about 5 years ago after seeing the behaviour of Hibs 'fans' at Easter Road in the south end of the east stand. A large number were not interested in the game and missiles were being thrown almost constantly. At Tynecastle the stands are closer together so it makes it easier to hit the opposition fans. Is it as bad as the 70s? absolutely not, but it is heading that way. My thoughts on why it is getting worse, the reduced risk of 'actual' confrontation because of segregation. stick a lot of these guys in the same space and they would crap themselves.

A Hi-Bee
02-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Complete rubbish. If that was really the case do you think they'd be allowed to use it? :rolleyes:

Shock, horror you mean they are allowed to use this dump.

BullsCloseHibs
02-11-2018, 04:19 PM
A massive, massive fine for them would be a good start. Perhaps educate the f®®®®®s too. I know a few jambos myself who appear OK, but I know one or two immerse themselves in the sectarian / racist stuff on a Saturday. So I've been told. And they ain't 16 year olds.

Hermit Crab
02-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Shock, horror you mean they are allowed to use this dump.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

wookie70
02-11-2018, 04:30 PM

How long ago was that

stoneyburn hibs
02-11-2018, 04:47 PM
What's the point of having Trident if we don't use it ?

G B Young
02-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Build a Tesco on it.

I did consider including an option of 'Bulldoze the dump and force them to build a stadium that meets more stringent safety standards'. The main stand's clearly borderline as it continues to operate on temporary safety certificates, with police questioning whether it even qualified for one of them last season.

j'adore hibs
02-11-2018, 04:58 PM

you wont be saying that after a coin in the pus

G B Young
02-11-2018, 05:07 PM
you wont be saying that after a coin in the pus

Hopefully it doesn't need to come to that to change mindsets, but the 'do nothing, it's all part of the game' mentality is what prevents these issues being seriously addressed.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-11-2018, 05:09 PM
I would apply some perspective.

hibby6270
02-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Thats because we don't need them.

Have you ever watched a game through them? Horrendous.

I don’t doubt it’s a rubbish viewing experience but if it’s sensible suggestions to prevent a repeat of Wednesday, it’s an option. That’s all.

Moulin Yarns
02-11-2018, 05:10 PM
While I voted for blocking of the front rows, it isn't the stadium that is the problem but the inhabitants.

Greenbeard
02-11-2018, 05:21 PM
What's the actual problem, if there is one, and the cause?

If we hadn't had two grown men falling to the ground acting that they'd been hurt when they weren't, we wouldn't be having all these discussions and daft suggestions, at least not to the same extent.

If the problem is folk chucking coins, then leaving the front few rows empty isn't a solution. I reckon I could chuck a £1 coin onto the pitch from Row Z. Mind I'd have to give it a big baseball-type wind-up so I'd be easily spotted. (And in that regard, how man Hibs fans would shop one of their own who threw something, whether a missile or racial/sectarian abuse?)

If the problem is the proximity of the spectators to the players, maybe it's how the seats in the front few rows are allocated that needs to be looked at. Kids/families only? Both home and away stands. Might even discourage the launching of missiles in case they land short?

Don't like the idea of a net curtain, certainly not at ***********. They'd probably pull it across the half-way line to create a fives pitch.

silverhibee
02-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Thoughts?

Give it a rest for f*** sake.

Albanian Hibs
02-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Burn it down??

beensaidbefore
02-11-2018, 05:59 PM
Surely it can't be that difficult to add a bit to the small print on the ticket along the lines of, if you or whoever you give this ticket too is found to be acting like a twat you will be barred for life. Doing x y and z is considered acting like a twat so don't do it. We must know who is sitting where in an all seater stadium? Canny be that hard to police.

SirDavidsNapper
02-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Probably making them Sunday noon kickoffs...which would help rip the heart and soul from them. I love the derby, it can be absolutely poisonous but it's the Edinburgh derby not some love in half and half scarf Merseyside version. People who go know it can get a bit rowdy. People and players should never be hurt. Thats shocking. I want the passion without that.

18Hibee75
02-11-2018, 06:09 PM
None. It’s an Edinburgh Derby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermit Crab
02-11-2018, 06:15 PM
None. It’s an Edinburgh Derby.

Finally some else who gets it, we are in the minority though pal.

crash
02-11-2018, 06:20 PM
Stewards/Clubs should be enforcing the all seated rule. All the offences ( throwing coins, throwing flares, fighting ) are perpetrated by people standing in a crowd. If everybody was sitting as they should be the problem would be minimised and any offender would stick out.

CockneyRebel
02-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Stewards/Clubs should be enforcing the all seated rule. All the offences ( throwing coins, throwing flares, fighting ) are perpetrated by people standing in a crowd. If everybody was sitting as they should be the problem would be minimised and any offender would stick out.

I like this, it would probably stop most of the morons - but too many "stander uppers" on this forum for you to get very far with this suggestion.

bigwheel
02-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Do we have to keep seated when the ball comes in to the box too? Just checking the new rules..[emoji102]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crash
02-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Do we have to keep seated when the ball comes in to the box too? Just checking the new rules..[emoji102]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No please dont try to be clever, I am talking about supporters standing for the whole game.

Malthibby
02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
What's the point of having Trident if we don't use it ?

As a long term anti-nuclear protester you've got me swithering........

CropleyWasGod
02-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Stewards/Clubs should be enforcing the all seated rule. All the offences ( throwing coins, throwing flares, fighting ) are perpetrated by people standing in a crowd. If everybody was sitting as they should be the problem would be minimised and any offender would stick out.How many stewards would we need to enforce that, though? And how effective do you think they would be?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
02-11-2018, 06:42 PM
No please dont try to be clever, I am talking about supporters standing for the whole game.

Don’t think you are getting to the root cause there. it’s not because people are standing that issues happen..and I’m pretty sure people who through the coin at Lennon were not standing all game

Hermit Crab
02-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Standing is back in, get used to it. Best way to watch football anyway. Safe standing terraces is the way forward.

crash
02-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Don’t think you are getting to the root cause there. it’s not because people are standing that issues happen..and I’m pretty sure people who through the coin at Lennon were not standing all game

Well I dont think you have read the title of the thread which was suggestions on BEST
WAYS TO IMPROVE SAFETY STANDARDS AT TYNECASTLE.

Hermit Crab, standing is not back in at all, and Wednesday nights disgrace does nothing to promote your argument.

kaimendhibs
02-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Mibbe stop people entering when clearly pissed out of Thier nuts. I barely see anyone drunk at home games or away games other than against Hearts, Sevco or Celtc. Why bother going in that nick?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

bigwheel
02-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Well I dont think you have read the title of the thread which was suggestions on BEST
WAYS TO IMPROVE SAFETY STANDARDS AT TYNECASTLE.

Hermit Crab, standing is not back in at all, and Wednesday nights disgrace does nothing to promote your argument.

Fair enough ...

But you linked the events to standing ..I don’t buy that..I think standing is more
Popular now. So HC has a point ..

I don’t mind it - unless it is blocking people’s view who can’t or don’t want to stand ...then people should be respectful and sit down if asked

Scouse Hibee
02-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Realistically, stay at home and watch on TV. As much as I don’t like what happens it is what it is, a city derby where passions and tensions run high. Can’t see that really changing anytime soon.

The Modfather
02-11-2018, 07:05 PM

What about the daughter of the poster that was hit with a flare, should she just man up? Or the person who is in the wrong place at the wrong time when the next glass bottle is indiscriminately thrown into our end and actually hits someone, should they man up too?

Still, as long as your “i’m alright jack” attitude continues to allow you to enjoy the “atmosphere” that’s alright then. Your post sounds the same as an Old Firm fan defending what goes on in their games.

the tornadoe
02-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Have ALL 4 derbies at Murrayfield

TelaStella
02-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Bulldoze the s*hole.

Hermit Crab
02-11-2018, 07:45 PM
What about the daughter of the poster that was hit with a flare, should she just man up? Or the person who is in the wrong place at the wrong time when the next glass bottle is indiscriminately thrown into our end and actually hits someone, should they man up too?

Still, as long as your “i’m alright jack” attitude continues to allow you to enjoy the “atmosphere” that’s alright then. Your post sounds the same as an Old Firm fan defending what goes on in their games.

You still trolling?

The Modfather
02-11-2018, 07:51 PM
You still trolling?

Yes, that must be it.

What about the girl hit with the flare? Do you believe she should man up? Or when someone is unlucky enough to be hit with a glass bottle thrown into our end, which is apparently now not an uncommon event, should they man up too?

where'stheslope
02-11-2018, 07:55 PM
I voted other, why, its up to each person to behave in an approprate manner within any stadium!
Its great to have the ability to ram it up the Yams, but as was said on other threads, we were not as pure as the driven snow either!!!
These thing can happen at any ground, and do, but it is not as big for media attention as this game was!
If everyone behaves themselves, there is no problem, it just takes one nutter to bring it all down around our ears!
Point being, the game on Saturday, someone want everyone to throw paper planes onto the pitch to back Neil Lennon?
Think what would be said if someone was hit or injured by one of these?????

Austinho
02-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Shut down G and N, or at least the first 5/6 rows - that’s where all the scrotes are.

Hibees1973
02-11-2018, 08:10 PM
Everyone knows that they have tried to maximise their small stadium by ramming in as many seats as possible. Tell you what, they do like a long throw at Tiny which means after their player wipes the ball with the towel the player takes three steps back and is right up to the crowd. Don‘t think many opposition players would risk taking a long throw and be among the Hearts supporters. The player would end up getting spat on, hit by coins, soaked by drinks, hit by cigarette lighters, etc.

Best suggestion is to remove the first five rows at Tiny which would give more space to the players and make them safe. There will always be idiots who throw things but I’m sure players would be/feel safer if they were further away from the crowd.

Know our idiot hit Zlamal and expect him to get identified. But generally a lot more space is needed around the pitch at a Tiny.

Borderhibbie76
02-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Close it down as being not fit for purpose.This...bulldoze the dump it's a massive safety issue and certainly is not fit for purpose

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

G B Young
03-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Standing is back in, get used to it. Best way to watch football anyway. Safe standing terraces is the way forward.

On that point I agree with you to a certain extent. There are fans, especially at big games, who seem to regard it as OK to stand for the entire game no matter whether there are older fans or fans with young families behind them who are left struggling to see. I think it would be better to have safe standing sections of stadiums, like at Celtic Park, where those who prefer to stand could be properly accommodated. I used to prefer standing back in the day, especially as it was a lot easier to keep warm when it was freezing.

I can't, however, agree that anyone hit by a fist, coin, lighter, bottle or whatever should simply 'man up'. Nobody should have to accept that sort of moronic act in any walk of life. Being at a football match doesn't somehow qualify you to live by different standards. In the light of the countless sympathetic responses on the threads about the 70 year old Hearts fan being hospitalised by a beer bottle or the older Hibs fan being knocked to the ground, I find it hard to believe any right-minded person could think that they should simply have accepted what happened to them as part of of the big match experience.

One Day
03-11-2018, 09:31 AM
While I voted for blocking of the front rows, it isn't the stadium that is the problem but the inhabitants.

Very much so.