PDA

View Full Version : I love the Edinburgh Derby!

California-Hibs
02-11-2018, 01:50 AM
Taking away all the antics of off field violence. I just have to say, I absolutely love the derbies! Even if the quality is sometimes not too great it's more than made up with from The atmosphere, tension, drama, scrutinizing and praying on every good pass, pressing etc.

Highlights of the season without doubt!

December 29th under the Easter Road lights just can't come quick enough!

neil7908
02-11-2018, 06:38 AM
I love them but that's rapidly changing. The last few have been God awful with very little attempt to even play football.

Unfortunately we've sunk to their level and these games are a war now.

I'll still be well up for the next one but tired of so little quality. It's doubling frustrating as we're playing so well at the moment and have a great set of attacking players.

EH54
02-11-2018, 06:41 AM
Heard a good few last night questioning why they bother going to tynecastle to watch the same crap every time..total contrast from the games at Easter road. Mainly because hearts know their limits against us and we show them far too much respect.

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Potters style of play spoils it for everyone he is terrified of losing and sets up his teams not to lose and will employ every underhand tactic to ensure he gets a positive result especially now he has no one else to blame as the buck stops with him as he is Manager.

The sooner he gets found out for what he really is and other teams get wise to their hoof ball tactics and Hearts go on a run of bad form and he gets emptied the better.

Only then will the Natural Order be truly restored.

The one positive from Wednesday is the fact that gone are the days when HIBS go to Tinycastle and get bullied. Hearts know that if football did break out HIBS would win the game.easily.

I am convinced that if it was not for Kamberigate and HIBS were allowed to continue with eleven men we would have gone on to win as we were about to bring on Jamie MAC to turn the screw upfront

Apart from that I wish Potter all the best. :greengrin

cocteautwin
02-11-2018, 08:25 AM
Taking away all the antics of off field violence. I just have to say, I absolutely love the derbies! Even if the quality is sometimes not too great it's more than made up with from The atmosphere, tension, drama, scrutinizing and praying on every good pass, pressing etc.

I'm with you on this. I thought it was a great event to watch - certainly worth my while getting up at 4:45am for.

SirDavidsNapper
02-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Love them too. We have to play a certain way at Tynecastle but Easter Road is completely different. Will be a routine derby win at home in a proper football stadium with adult size pitch.

GreenCastle
02-11-2018, 08:40 AM
One thing Lennon is doing is raising our profile.

In Europe and the UK.

The news on front of BBC website and Sky Sports News was about the game - ok it was far from ideal but getting the Edinburgh clubs name out there.

Keith_M
02-11-2018, 08:52 AM
If both sides were actually trying to play football, I might agree with the OP.

lucky
02-11-2018, 08:59 AM
I love the derby matches, so what if Hearts are very physical especially at the PBS. In recent years we’ve stood up to their physicality and got results, draws at theirs and wins at home. These are the best four games of the season normally unless we get to finals. So rather in moan that it’s not a silky soccer match enjoy the intense, bitter rivalry and the cut and thrust of Scottish football.

Scottish football is on the rise fans are coming back as the matches are competitive. Forget Talksport and the like talking our game down. Let’s start talking up our game rather than talking about a few bams acting badly.

G B Young
02-11-2018, 09:03 AM
There was nothing to love about Wednesday night - and I'm not talking about the fans' behaviour.

The derby has become all about not losing which means there's next to no football on show. The tight confines of Tynecastle make it easy for Potter to set Hearts up to strangle the life out of the game which makes for a pretty dire spectacle. It's a long time since there was a derby worth watching at the PBS. Easter Road at least offers a playing arena where Hibs can inject some pace and width into the game so it's not surprise that by far the better football in this fixture in recent years has been at ER.

B.H.F.C
02-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Love them at Easter Road because we have genuinely won, and won well despite some narrow score lines, in the last few years.

The games at Tynecastle are a bit of a let down. We rarely even score a goal.

Pagan Hibernia
02-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Strange things, derbys.

You desperately want to win and you don’t much care how it happens but most of all you don’t want to lose. I’m always happy when they’re over if I’m honest. Unless we’ve lost, in which case the next one can’t come quick enough.

the recent ones do seem to have settled into a pattern. In our last five visits to Tynecastle we haven’t scored a goal from only play (excluding Shaws effort). We’ve scored one penalty. In Hearts last five visits to Easter Road they haven’t scored a goal from open play. They’ve scored one penalty. Not one goal from open play.

the last 9 derbies have produced just two away goals, both penalties. Not one away goal from open play. Incredible.

HibeeHibernian4
02-11-2018, 09:22 AM
They're absolutely shocking games of football, unless Hearts actually turn up at Easter Road - which doesn't happen these days.

The atmosphere's okay, but it's all getting a bit repetitive, playing them four times a season (five given we always seem to draw them in the Scottish these days) is getting a bit tedious.

Definitely think if we're to really go places as a club, we need to concentrate more on Hibs as a support and stop focusing on them as much.

Nutmegged
02-11-2018, 09:29 AM
these games used to be a football match within a battle, now its just a battle within a war, next time we play them we should leave the ball in the tunnel and just have a 22 man square go for an hour n a half

Johnny Clash
02-11-2018, 09:40 AM
I’ve always enjoyed going to Derby’s and hate to lose them. The atmosphere is usually pumped up which can get to the players’ heads and there’s less skills shown on the park. I actually tend to prefer going to the away games so maybe I’ve a screw loose somewhere?

bingo70
02-11-2018, 09:57 AM
They say there's no such thing as bad publicity and i don't actually think the antics of the other night will have done our game any harm TBH in terms of our presence down south.

The big criticism of English Premiership Football is that it seems to have lost it's passion, it's a tourist destination now for a lot of the clubs and it's just not real any more. It's too 'perfect' and it's lost it's rawness that i think made the game so popular in the first place. Anyway, i bet there was a lot of English football fans down south casting an envious eye north of the border wishing their game still had that sort of passion.

The game on Wednesday night was a shocker for a neutral in terms of technical ability, quality on show, chances etc but IMO it was enthralling because it was real, it had two teams desperate not to give an inch, was a packed (tin pot) stadium with a good atmosphere and every player giving their all for the team. There were no ego's, it wasn't two teams packed with foreigners people can't relate to and both teams had their identity intact.

I love Scottish Football just now, it's not perfect but what is...........

Jones28
02-11-2018, 10:03 AM
I hate them. I was a pent up, snappy prick in he build up; I was a nervous wreck throughout and the final whistle was a blessed relief that we don't have to do it again until Christmas.

Lendo
02-11-2018, 10:11 AM
One thing Lennon is doing is raising our profile.

In Europe and the UK.

The news on front of BBC website and Sky Sports News was about the game - ok it was far from ideal but getting the Edinburgh clubs name out there.

I was thinking the same thing. Nobody wants to see violence at these games, BUT, the TV companies want entertainment and that is what they are getting. It might all help in securing a better broadcasting agreement in the future.

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 10:11 AM
They say there's no such thing as bad publicity and i don't actually think the antics of the other night will have done our game any harm TBH in terms of our presence down south.

The big criticism of English Premiership Football is that it seems to have lost it's passion, it's a tourist destination now for a lot of the clubs and it's just not real any more. It's too 'perfect' and it's lost it's rawness that i think made the game so popular in the first place. Anyway, i bet there was a lot of English football fans down south casting an envious eye north of the border wishing their game still had that sort of passion.

The game on Wednesday night was a shocker for a neutral in terms of technical ability, quality on show, chances etc but IMO it was enthralling because it was real, it had two teams desperate not to give an inch, was a packed (tin pot) stadium with a good atmosphere and every player giving their all for the team. There were no ego's, it wasn't two teams packed with foreigners people can't relate to and both teams had their identity intact.

I love Scottish Football just now, it's not perfect but what is...........
I have lost count of the amount of times this season when I have been watching the overhyped EPL on overpriced Cable Table TV and my eyes glaze over and I find myself yearning for the pace speed intrigue cut and thrust and no little skill of the SPFL even more so now that HIBS and Hearts are up there challenging the cracks are starting to show at Ibrox and it looks as though Celtic are unfortunately getting their act together at just the right time not forgetting Aberdeen who you can never write off.

Eyrie
02-11-2018, 10:38 AM
I don't.

I love watching good football, particularly when played by Hibs and especially when we win. Derbys at the Tiny PBS have very little football, being instead a mix of hoofball and fouls by both teams which is necessary due to both the undersized pitch and the home team's tactics.

makaveli1875
02-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Hate going to Tynecastle , last time i was there was the old uncovered Gorgie stand in the pissing rain , if memory serves me right we got a red card that day too . Love the Easter Road games though

basehibby
02-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Absolutely with you on this - nothing beats the derbies for me with possible exception of cup winning trips to Hampden :greengrin

The football is usually crap at Tynie due to the narrow pitch and clogging attitude of successive Yam managers. This doesn't stem my desire to see us win there though - there is really no league fixture I enjoy winning more and it's fair to say that feeling is requited by our neighbours across the city. And this is what makes it a fixture to savour - even if the football on display ends up being industrial at times, the atmosphere at these games could be cut with a knife with every pass, every hoof, every tackle, every shot and every loose ball enjoying the rapt attention of all in attendance (occasional looneys going radge at each other excepted).

There is nothing quite like the winning feeling after a derby and no matter how crap a game it was on Wed and never mind the non-football incidents - I'm already looking forward to the next one - bring it on!!!