we are hibs
01-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Thoughts?

https://twitter.com/ClydeSSB/status/1058056780423553024?s=19

bigwheel
01-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Thoughts?

I think these factors are definitely part of the vitriol aimed at Lennon...

Hibbyradge
01-11-2018, 05:30 PM
As I pointed out on the LD Interview thread, he played in England for 13 years and didn't attract trouble.

It started when he signed for Celtic.

Have a read at this (also posted on the LD thread)

Football: Why do people want to kill Neil Lennon?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/sep/17/football-why-kill-neil-lennon?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Ozyhibby
01-11-2018, 05:30 PM
He’s not wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
01-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Hits the nail right on the head.

green day
01-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Nail on the head, when you look at the responses to the tweet you can see it clearly

Pretty Boy
01-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Thoughts?

He's spot on.

There have been plenty 'nasty' players and managers in Scotland before who haven't attracted what Neil Lennon has. As pointed put above he attracted nothing like the same attention in England. There's a nasty, sectarian element of our society in Scotland that bubbles just below the surface in many who we might not call your fully fledged bigots and it boils over when a target like Lennon becomes available.

He's been sinned against far more than he's ever sinned.

Lago
01-11-2018, 06:44 PM
:top marks
He's spot on.

There have been plenty 'nasty' players and managers in Scotland before who haven't attracted what Neil Lennon has. As pointed put above he attracted nothing like the same attention in England. There's a nasty, sectarian element of our society in Scotland that bubbles just below the surface in many who we might not call your fully fledged bigots and it boils over when a target like Lennon becomes available.

bingo70
01-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Is Lennons agent normally on that radio show or did he go on to discuss Lennon after what happened last night?

I really hope the maniacs don’t drive Lennon out of Scottish football but looking at it from his perspective there must be a temptation to Jack it in and get a job down south with a fraction of the hassle.

I’ve been a bit paranoid about him moving on for a while now though so I’m maybe reading too much into it.

cabbageandribs1875
01-11-2018, 07:13 PM
i didn't actually watch the video but had a wee sketch at the first couple of dozen comments, r angers fans have to be the ****miest piece of s**t on gods great earth.............. FACT:aok:

blaikie
01-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Seems to be the elephant in the room and I’m glad his agent has came out and said it publicly, probably won’t change anything but it had to be said!

Geo_1875
01-11-2018, 07:27 PM
He's spot on.

A bigot is a bigot. Nobody is a bigot for 90 minutes and it is never bubbling below the surface, it runs through their every fibre. The only reason they don't act out in everyday life is they is they are cowards who hide in crowds or are anonymous on social media.

hibeerealist
01-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Is Lennons agent normally on that radio show or did he go on to discuss Lennon after what happened last night?

I really hope the maniacs don’t drive Lennon out of Scottish football but looking at it from his perspective there must be a temptation to Jack it in and get a job down south with a fraction of the hassle.

I’ve been a bit paranoid about him moving on for a while now though so I’m maybe reading too much into it.

He certainly won’t want to rejoin the OF goldfish bowl anytime soon.

The Harp Awakes
01-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Thoughts?

Yup, bang on the money there.

Jack Hackett
01-11-2018, 07:45 PM
As I pointed out on the LD Interview thread, he played in England for 13 years and didn't attract trouble.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/sep/17/football-why-kill-neil-lennon?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Highly insightful article. Great find.

That was posted 7 years ago and nothings changed. Imagine having to live with that blind hatred day after day... I can't, and I doubt that many people really can. I have so much respect for Neil Lennon that it's difficult to articulate.

Frazerbob
01-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Before he came to us, he was hated by most of our fans. Not to the extent of assaulting him etc of course. However he was roundly despised. Just saying......

jacomo
01-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Before he came to us, he was hated by most of our fans. Not to the extent of assaulting him etc of course. However he was roundly despised. Just saying......

Not by me.

Lendo
01-11-2018, 08:20 PM

I will admit to having a massive dislike for him. Purely down being an old firm player/manager. Nothing more.

Happy to say I was wrong.

calumhibee1
01-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Spot on.

Did Lennon ever have any major controversial incidents as a player? Deliberately injuring anyone, spitting on anyone etc that kind of thing? I always remember him being a hard but fair player but I don’t remember him doing anything outrageous. People hate folk like El Hadj Diouf cause of his actions on the pitch. People hate Lennon for the reasons stated in the video.

AgentDaleCooper
01-11-2018, 08:30 PM
i absolutely hated him as a player, he was exactly the nasty wee bugger type that did you nut in for 90 minutes, nipping at players, winding them up, nipping in the ref's ear. i think his personality is a factor in the vitriol aimed at him.

i say 'factor' - it is NOT a cause. plenty of people are hated because of their persona on the football pitch.

there exists absolute sectarian bile within our game, and this is why he gets abused. his personality amplifies this, as he winds people up, including a lot of awful bigoted people.

it's his right to be himself, he can take all the name calling anyone could throw at him. it's no-ones right to physically assault him.

just to clarify - i absolutely adore neil lennon now. he is the best hibs manager in my life time by miles.

sambajustice
01-11-2018, 09:04 PM
I will admit to have a massive dislike for him. Purely down being an old firm player/manager. Nothing more.

Happy to say I was wrong.

What about Dylan McGeough? Scott Allan? McGinn is Celtic through and through although he's not played for them!

McGregor?
Ambrose?

Must have a massive dislike for them as well...

MWHIBBIES
01-11-2018, 09:31 PM
What about Dylan McGeough? Scott Allan? McGinn is Celtic through and through although he's not played for them!

McGregor?
Ambrose?

Must have a massive dislike for them as well...

People disliked Lennon because he is the type of person opposition fans love to hate and he was the same as Celtic manager. I thought (and still do think) the way he acted throughout the Tannadice referee nonsense was pretty poor.

I'd hardly heard of Dylan McGeouch before he joined us. Dreadful comparison really.

The Modfather
01-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Spot on.

Did Lennon ever have any major controversial incidents as a player? Deliberately injuring anyone, spitting on anyone etc that kind of thing? I always remember him being a hard but fair player but I don’t remember him doing anything outrageous. People hate folk like El Hadj Diouf cause of his actions on the pitch. People hate Lennon for the reasons stated in the video.

Can’t find it, but sure I remember him stamping/deliberately landing on an opposition player playing for Celtc in Europe. Maybe against Bratislava.

As for Lennon, pre Hibs I strongly disliked him as, especially, a player, and also a manager, at Celtc in the same way and for the same reasons fans up and down England hated Robbie Savage.

He’s one of us and fights out corner so has won me over, but if he had been the manager of any other team I’d probably dislike him. He is very abrasive and forthright, which you love when he’s your manager but not when looking in from the outside.

Chorley Hibee
01-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Amidst all the faux outrage currently being displayed across all media outlets, not one of them has the courage to mention the elephant in the room: that anti-irish, anti-catholic bigotry is still endemic in large swathes of Scottish society.

Until people have the courage to bring this shame on our country to the fore, it will continue unabated, and indeed flourish as the sense of impunity amongst the morons grows greater.

Also, the media has taken it's opportunity to shift the spotlight clearly on to other clubs here, whilst they conveniently skirt around the same issues that are so prevalent at every game involving Sevco. None of the crap those ****bags have been involved in of late has received anything like the coverage last night has, but then I don't know why I'm even surprised by the press and their antics anymore.

Baader
01-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Related or not, sectarianism in Scottish society really needs addressing. It is embarrassing and a huge stain on our country. It's shameful that the authorities continually do nothing about it. Looking through social media it's sad to see the amount of young misguided idiots who seem to wear it as some sort of badge of pride. It needs challenging as it makes us look like some ugly 17th Century backwater. Sadly I don't ever see this changing.

Chorley Hibee
01-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Related or not, sectarianism in Scottish society really needs addressing. It is embarrassing and a huge stain on our country. It's shameful that the authorities continually do nothing about it. Looking through social media it's sad to see the amount of young misguided idiots who seem to wear it as some sort of badge of pride. It needs challenging as it makes us look like some ugly 17th Century backwater. Sadly I don't ever see this changing.

It won't whilst the authorities continue to give their tacit approval of it. If it was racism, sexism, or any other form of xenophobia or religious intolerance, then the authorities would be all over the backs of the perpetrators.

The fact that they're not tells you that this stain on our society emanates from the corridors of power, and is deep rooted in the upper echelons of our society too.

sambajustice
02-11-2018, 12:11 AM
People disliked Lennon because he is the type of person opposition fans love to hate and he was the same as Celtic manager. I thought (and still do think) the way he acted throughout the Tannadice referee nonsense was pretty poor.

I'd hardly heard of Dylan McGeouch before he joined us. Dreadful comparison really.

Are you joking?

The rationale for disliking Lennon was that he played for/managed one of the old firm. McGeough was at both!
No-one else seems to have been mentioned as being disliked purely because they were at either Celtic or Rangers - just Lennon.

Maybe Lennons agents claims of why he is disliked so much is also applicable to elements of the Hibs support...??

1875godsgift
02-11-2018, 12:11 AM
Thoughts?

To be honest, I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

I've lived in England and Wales for the last 20 years, and I would say roughly 95% of people have absolutely no concept of what the Troubles were about.

All they know from the media is that the IRA are murdering *******s, and the UDA and UVF are the same organisation but can't spell.

I would hazard a guess that a similar percentage of people in Scotland are clueless about the history, religious divides, ideology and politics of the struggle in Ireland, but a significant minority are polarised by family traditions and the club they support.

I think now he's outwith the goldfish bowl of the Glaswegian sectarian cesspit, he's quite happy to stick his head above the parapet and be an occasional target for the hard-of-thinking in our society.

So what will that achieve? Who knows?

But anything that raises the issue of sectarianism in Scottish football should surely be welcomed, especially through the back door, so to speak.

givescotlandfreedom
02-11-2018, 01:51 AM
As someone who was brought up in a church attending protestant background of course he's right. I don't like Levein, Rodgers or Geddsdd but only in footballing terms. I don't think the hatred for Lennon is that simple.

we are hibs
02-11-2018, 05:57 AM
Are you joking?

The rationale for disliking Lennon was that he played for/managed one of the old firm. McGeough was at both!
No-one else seems to have been mentioned as being disliked purely because they were at either Celtic or Rangers - just Lennon.

Maybe Lennons agents claims of why he is disliked so much is also applicable to elements of the Hibs support...??

You're talking utter *****. He was hated because he was a dirty wee ******* as a player as was Barry Ferguson at the time when at rangers. They were both hated because of the way they played.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2018, 06:04 AM
I disliked Lennon because he was a nasty piece of **** when he played for celtic, exactly the same as i disliked Terry Hurlock who played for the huns.

Both were players i despised, but would have had them in my team every day of the week, its called being an opposition football fan.

Not once did i ever hate Lennon because of his religion, and as for Hurlock, i have no idea what faith he belongs to, and only know what Lennon is through the media?

J-C
02-11-2018, 06:12 AM
Lennon's problem (not of his own making obviously) is he's a Northern Irish Catholic and they're thin on the ground over there. Add to that he's not one to be quiet and slip under the radar, was like that as a player and also manager, biggest problem we have in Scottish football is still bigotry, rife in the West coast and still a good few over here in the East. Lennon never hides it's not in his nature but at times it can stir things up a bit, he knows how to play the crowd.

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 06:14 AM
I disliked Lennon because he was a nasty piece of **** when he played for celtic, exactly the same as i disliked Terry Hurlock who played for the huns.

Both were players i despised, but would have had them in my team every day of the week, its called being an opposition football fan.

Not once did i ever hate Lennon because of his religion, and as for Hurlock, i have no idea what faith he belongs to, and only know what Lennon is through the media?

I remember feeling the same about Darren Jackson a player we all loved to hate but what a player he was for HIBS :greengrin

JimBHibees
02-11-2018, 06:18 AM

For football reasons he was a niggly gobby player who got away with a lot because he played for Celtic. Brilliant appointment by Hibs and while there are times he should tone it down a bit he represents the club brilliantly in his passionate articulate manner.

norhfc
02-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Amidst all the faux outrage currently being displayed across all media outlets, not one of them has the courage to mention the elephant in the room: that anti-irish, anti-catholic bigotry is still endemic in large swathes of Scottish society.

Until people have the courage to bring this shame on our country to the fore, it will continue unabated, and indeed flourish as the sense of impunity amongst the morons grows greater.

Also, the media has taken it's opportunity to shift the spotlight clearly on to other clubs here, whilst they conveniently skirt around the same issues that are so prevalent at every game involving Sevco. None of the crap those ****bags have been involved in of late has received anything like the coverage last night has, but then I don't know why I'm even surprised by the press and their antics anymore.

100 %

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 06:46 AM

Excellent post!

Worth reading the Alan Lugton books.

When our great club was formed by Irish Catholic’s back in 1875 the SFA or powers that be at that time refused to allow us to play in the Scottish League because of our back ground even although we repeatedly won the League you had to win to gain admittance.

Eventually they allowed us and latterly Celtic into their wee club.

It would appear that nothing has really changed in 150 years and anti catholic bigotry is still endemic in today’s society in Scotland.

Johnny Clash
02-11-2018, 07:01 AM

Some opposition players get ‘hated’ by hibees because of their attitude on the pitch and their style of play. Annoyingly it’s often coz they’re effective at what they do. So for us, they are 90 minute villains. If you met the same players socially most of us would have some banter and that would be it. I happen to know Terry Hurlock and he’s a proper gent. He can take a wind up and says he remembers very well playing at ER and the ‘welcome’ he got in a cracking atmosphere!

Trouble is there are real evil idiots out there. Neil Lennon has had to contend with really ****my behaviour from hate filled bammers - the dregs of our society. He is undoubtably considered a villain by opposition fans but despite that he deserves support against the bigotry, from all decent people.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Some opposition players get ‘hated’ by hibees because of their attitude on the pitch and their style of play. Annoyingly it’s often coz they’re effective at what they do. So for us, they are 90 minute villains. If you met the same players socially most of us would have some banter and that would be it. I happen to know Terry Hurlock and he’s a proper gent. He can take a wind up and says he remembers very well playing at ER and the ‘welcome’ he got in a cracking atmosphere!

Trouble is there are real evil idiots out there. Neil Lennon has had to contend with really ****my behaviour from hate filled bammers - the dregs of our society. He is undoubtably considered a villain by opposition fans but despite that he deserves support against the bigotry, from all decent people.

I think you've nailed it. Football is full of pantomime villains who opposition fans love to hate. In recent years I've gladly booed and jeered guys like Ian Black and Jim Goodwin. I don't think it ever crossed my mind to sing a song about hanging them, send them bullets in the post, send a death threat, graffiti outside their house saying RIP, throw coins at them, make threats about their children or physically assault them. That kind of treatment seems almost exclusively aimed at Neil Lennon yet we are just to believe it's because he was a 'niggly player' or 'opinionated' or whatever else. Sorry but I'm not buying that.

There's little doubt that sectarianism in Scotland isn't as rife as it was in the 19th and for a large part of the 20th century. People aren't routinely refused employment, access to education or various social activities on account of being a Catholic anymore. However as with any society with a history of widespread bigotry against a minority group there has be a guard against complacency. There is still a societal acceptance of 'harmless' abuse of Catholics in Scotland, little jokes that are deemed acceptable and thousands of people gathering in various different settings to sing songs of hatred. That's the environment Neil Lennon is living in and he's been singled out and targeted because he's an embodiment of what a lot of people think they 'hate'. It's also an environment in which people will argue someone passionate about their job somehow brings it on themselves. That's as daft an argument as the social media response to a Priest being spat on by an observer at an Orange march recently which basically implied he 'shouldn't have been there'. The fact that man was there every morning at that time after his weekday Mass passed many people by. Neil Lennon shouldn't have to moderate his personality to appease bigots, even if he did adopt a softly, softly approach they would still hate him because of who and what he is so why bother?

The various Churches in Scotland have made great strides in the last few decades in working together to foster a relationship between different Christian denominations. We are now seeing the 2nd and 3rd generation of Priests and Ministers since Vatican II, a point at which the Catholic Church began to permit and encourage ecumenism. The Church is no longer a secretive thing with a mass in a language even regulars attendees don't understand with a tyrannical Priest mumbling prayers on your behalf, it's not bogged down with recitation of the Canon Law and it no longer evicts 'heathens' half way through the Mass. The Church of Scotland, the Catholic Church, the Episcopalian Church and other smaller groups now happily work together and have a mutual respect of their similarities and differences. It's about time some football fans and other hate filled idiots done the same.

Sammy7nil
02-11-2018, 09:30 AM

I definitely am not against Irish Catholics as my grand parent was one yet I never liked Neil Lennon as a player and I have no doubt I booed and shouted at him when I saw him play.

NL was just one of those guys you loved to hate he was nasty niggly player and I recall him stamping on Broonie.

Not everyone dislikes Lennon due to his faith or nationality

MWHIBBIES
02-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Are you joking?

Oh **** off, you're completely missing the point. I literally couldn't care less about his religion. McGeouch was a kid who had never played for Rangers and rarely for Celtic. Lennon was captain for years and managed them.

You're honestly just being extremely stupid if you think that is a good comparison.

Hibbyradge
02-11-2018, 09:46 AM
I definitely am not against Irish Catholics as my grand parent was one yet I never liked Neil Lennon as a player and I have no doubt I booed and shouted at him when I saw him play.

NL was just one of those guys you loved to hate he was nasty niggly player and I recall him stamping on Broonie.

Not everyone dislikes Lennon due to his faith or nationality

I agree, I didn't like him either and I was brought up as a Catholic.

However, no other player gets sent bombs, bullets and death threats. No other player has been beaten unconscious in the street, attacked by a fan on live TV or hit in the face by a coin.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2018, 09:56 AM

However, no other player gets sent bombs, bullets and death threats. No other player has been beaten unconscious in the street, attacked by a fan on live TV or hit in the face by a coin.

It's interesting to consider that arguably the only other comparable hate figure in Scottish football is Mo Johnstone and he gets it from both sides.

Whilst there's no doubt he would have been the target of vitriol from the Celtic fans because of his actions anyway I'd argue it was heightened because of who he was, what he was and his infamous on field action. The rangers reaction was as predictable as the Celtic fans was. In many ways we have moved on but probably not as far as some want to believe.

Sammy7nil
02-11-2018, 10:04 AM

I don't doubt there is a big element of sectarian abuse directed towards Lennon but not all of it is due to his faith. I have no idea how you would measure the sectarian and non sectarian elements.

For example if CL turned towards the Hibs fans at ER and told them to calm down whilst laughinmg at a disallowed goal I am not confident that a "Hibs fan" would not throw something at him

However imho bullets and bomb threats can confidently be filed in the sectarion abuse category.

BullsCloseHibs
02-11-2018, 10:06 AM
Bullets in the post.

Sectarian abuse almost every week, at every ground.

"Hang NL" threats sprayed outside Tynecastle.

Attacked by a Hearts fan in dugout.

Coins in the face at the same stadium.

......a common theme here and its not Neil Lennon who's at fault. How much is he expected to take without giving back a reaction? Any fan who claims condones the abuse he gets should be ashamed. Unfortunately, a lot of people in Scotland are still living in a distant era.

Anyway, I love Neil Lennon :not worth

BullsCloseHibs
02-11-2018, 10:09 AM
I don't doubt there is a big element of sectarian abuse towards Lennon but not all of it is due to his faith. I have no idea how you would measure the sectarian and non sectarian elements.

For example if CL turned towards the Hibs fans at ER and told them to calm down whilst laughinmg at a disallowed goal I am not confident that a "Hibs fan" would not throw something at him

However imho bullets and bomb threats can confidently be filed in the sectarion abuse category.

What gets me is that anyone who gave NL sectarian verbals from Hearts' main stand would be surrounded by, say, 60 folk who could easily hear the person mouthing off. They could (and should - but won't) grass them to security/cops.

This, remember, is the same stand Queen Budge sits in, yet it is still FULL of sectarian yobs. What an embarrassment.

Monts
02-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Here's my take on it.

Lennon gets abuse for being a Northern Irish Catholic that played for Celtic. But that's not the only reason he gets abuse. He is, unfortunately, a very easy target. He's high profile, instantly recognisable, and has a (footballing) personality that really gets under people's skin. He acts like a fan.

Before he joined us, I had a discussion with a Celtic fan who was arguing that the reason people hate Lennon is because of his background. I argued that I didn't like him, and I wasn't even sure what his background was at the time. But he was abrasive (and a bit ugly), and unfortunately (at the time), very good at what he does. To me, he was the Paul Hartley of Celtic.

But I think it's fair to say that the sectarian abuse he receives is real, and when discussed in the media, there is (possibly faux) outrage. But the reporting of the incidents only seem to cement his place as a target for abuse, and very little is actually done to stop it. It just becomes acceptable, and more and more people jump on board.

In short, he is an easy target, with a few different reasons people dislike him. And I'd say while I don't think the majority of people who dislike him are sectarian, the element who are, are the ones who pose the biggest threat to him. Let's not forget he is a high profile representation of a cause people in living memory were murdered for.

Geo_1875
02-11-2018, 11:46 AM

I agree. I didn't like him playing against Hibs when he was at Celtc. Usually because he was a decent player who had a niggly side. However, when I gave him abuse it was usually calling him a wee ginger *******. While The Rangers support had good reason to dislike him they take abuse to different levels and the Gorgie mob follow follow suit. It all comes back to sectarianism in Scotland and recently Aberdeen fans were guilty as well. The fact he gets no support from the media and authorities in Scotland only shows how deep the problem lies.

Kato
02-11-2018, 11:52 AM
. Let's not forget he is a high profile representation of a cause people in living memory were murdered for.

A very balanced post much of which I agree with but I think you might want explain the above. Which "cause" does Lennon represent?

Monts
02-11-2018, 11:56 AM
A very balanced post much of which I agree with but I think you might want explain the above. Which "cause" does Lennon represent?

Fair enough, I don't think I worded that bit very well. I don't think he represents a cause in the sense of fighting for it. I just mean that he personifies something that some people hate, and the conflict its derived from (that I'll admit I'm no expert in) has led to people being murdered.