PDA

View Full Version : Next derby at Tynecastle to be played behind closed doors?

G B Young
01-11-2018, 11:34 AM
That's an option I think which should be seriously considered. This fixture has descended into little more than a venom-filled battle, with football a secondary consideration. The pent-up emotions of both sets of fans and players (the Hearts players in particular I would say) make it, in my opinion, a deeply unpleasant experience and I find it hard to understand how anyone can say they actually 'enjoy' it. The level of pure hatred in the air is appalling and the behaviour of a lot of those in attendance is close to neanderthal. We try to claim the Edinburgh derby doesn't carry the bile that goes with an Old Firm game, but I sometimes wonder if we're kidding ourselves. As a parent, I wouldn't even have considered taking kids along last night.

Tynecastle itself is, IMHO, not a safe environment in which to hold such events. The small playing surface with stands far too close to the pitch puts players, coaches and officials in too dangerous a position when you have a crowd populated by a lot of folk who, through drink or just plain imbecility, can't be trusted to behave. It's not the first time Neil Lennon has been assaulted in this stadium and that alone should see the authorities seriously consider the safety surrounding high-octane fixtures at this venue. Playing the next Tynecastle derby behind closed doors might help to give everyone pause for thought.

More generally, Lennon is spot on when he says he shouldn't be expected to simply sit and take 90 minutes of filthy verbal abuse. Football is pretty much unique as a sport (bar, perhaps boxing and wrestling) in that fans appear to think that buying a ticket entitles them to hurl that sort of poison at referees or opposing managers and players - and in some cases actually attack them! It's the sort of stuff that would have you thrown out of most other sporting events or public performances and even arrested. No question, getting older sees you become less tolerant of such idiocy, but it also brings with it a perspective on how daft this all is.

Sorry if this comes across as a pompous rant, but having thoroughly enjoyed the early part of yesterday evening as kids around the neighbourhood scurried around guising and simply having fun, the behaviour on view at the derby soured my mood considerably.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Don't think that will happen but you could see the barrier up around the ground they used to have. Animals behave better.

Cabbage East
01-11-2018, 11:38 AM
We're just getting hysterical now.

hfc-1875
01-11-2018, 11:38 AM
I would say no chance of that happening, and would also say if it did happen, it wouldn’t only make the next derby after that even worse imo

Chuck Rhoades
01-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Folk need to seriously calm down. Where you even at the match?

Smartie
01-11-2018, 11:41 AM
I think we need to try policing the match properly or at a push, closing small sections of the ground in the flashpoint areas before we need to go for the crazy options.

j'adore hibs
01-11-2018, 11:45 AM
no that shouldnt happen, folk just need to grow up and behave whilst supporting their team

G B Young
01-11-2018, 11:45 AM
I think we need to try policing the match properly or at a push, closing small sections of the ground in the flashpoint areas before we need to go for the crazy options.

Another option would be to end segregation and see if as many folk are so 'brave' when both sets of fans are sitting together. It might actually make some folk start to behave like normal members of society.

silverhibee
01-11-2018, 11:47 AM
That's an option I think which should be seriously considered. This fixture has descended into little more than a venom-filled battle, with football a secondary consideration. The pent-up emotions of both sets of fans and players (the Hearts players in particular I would say) make it, in my opinion, a deeply unpleasant experience and I find it hard to understand how anyone can say they actually 'enjoy' it. The level of pure hatred in the air is appalling and the behaviour of a lot of those in attendance is close to neanderthal. We try to claim the Edinburgh derby doesn't carry the bile that goes with an Old Firm game, but I sometimes wonder if we're kidding ourselves. As a parent, I wouldn't even have considered taking kids along last night.

Tynecastle itself is, IMHO, not a safe environment in which to hold such events. The small playing surface with stands far too close to the pitch puts players, coaches and officials in too dangerous a position when you have a crowd populated by a lot of folk who, through drink or just plain imbecility, can't be trusted to behave. It's not the first time Neil Lennon has been assaulted in this stadium and that alone should see the authorities seriously consider the safety surrounding high-octane fixtures at this venue. Playing the next Tynecastle derby behind closed doors might help to give everyone pause for thought.

More generally, Lennon is spot on when he says he shouldn't be expected to simply sit and take 90 minutes of filthy verbal abuse. Football is pretty much unique as a sport (bar, perhaps boxing and wrestling) in that fans appear to think that buying a ticket entitles them to hurl that sort of poison at referees or opposing managers and players - and in some cases actually attack them! It's the sort of stuff that would have you thrown out of most other sporting events or public performances and even arrested. No question, getting older sees you become less tolerant of such idiocy, but it also brings with it a perspective on how daft this all is.

Sorry if this comes across as a pompous rant, but having thoroughly enjoyed the early part of yesterday evening as kids around the neighbourhood scurried around guising and simply having fun, the behaviour on view at the derby soured my mood considerably.

Deary f***ing me.

staunchhibby
01-11-2018, 11:56 AM
When we were at Bronby there was a wire fence which was a considerable height to discourage throwing of objects.Could this be the next move at grounds here.

Laced1875
01-11-2018, 12:07 PM
Hysteria around this is unreal. Similar behaviour happens at most major derbies around the world. Not condoning the behaviour, just an unfortunate part of the game.

Lendo
01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Next derby at Tynecastle to be played overseas?

:rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
01-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Next just not play it and call it draw. Behind closed doors, aye right.

southfieldhibby
01-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Amazing this is an actual thought of a supporter.

Ozyhibby
01-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Closed doors is just being silly. They probably should be stopped from selling the front row of seats around the ground though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wembley67
01-11-2018, 12:19 PM
😂 one of the most over the top posts I've ever read on here in 15 odd years!

B.H.F.C
01-11-2018, 12:21 PM
What a ridiculous suggestion.

superbam
01-11-2018, 12:22 PM
FFS folk need to calm down. Seems like an ongoing competition to be outraged at crowd behaviour among some people.

Deansy
01-11-2018, 12:36 PM
A semi-decent, competent, un-biased referee would help reduce the poisonous atmosphere !

green with envy
01-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Just when you thought you thought you had seen the last of the stupid posts Re: last night's game.

ballengeich
01-11-2018, 12:47 PM
When we were at Bronby there was a wire fence which was a considerable height to discourage throwing of objects.Could this be the next move at grounds here.

I doubt it. The UK view, based on Hillsborough, is that fans should be able to spill on to the pitch in an emergency.

Since90+2
01-11-2018, 12:49 PM
It's getting abit ridiculous now. The game won't be and shouldn't be player behind closed doors.

where'stheslope
01-11-2018, 12:50 PM

They'll think their in Europe!! Its a Naw from me!!!!

heretoday
01-11-2018, 12:58 PM

That's a cracker! Cue trouble in the airport bars and in the bars in Warsaw or Leipzig or whatever.

lyonhibs
01-11-2018, 01:06 PM

No no no no no.

Christ almighty.

Bostonhibby
01-11-2018, 01:22 PM
I'd prefer the police to do some policing to be honest, and remember this is tiny castle we're talking about so the doors we want to shut probably haven't been fitted yet.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Albanian Hibs
01-11-2018, 01:26 PM
😂😂😂

Heckys Wheel
01-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Absolute hysteria.

BoomtownHibees
01-11-2018, 01:31 PM
From somebody no at the game I assume?

GreenArmyyy!
01-11-2018, 01:41 PM
What might be a realistic option for the authorities is to stop hearts selling tickets from the front one or two rows to stop fans being so close to the player, I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen though.

West lower
01-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Another option would be to end segregation and see if as many folk are so 'brave' when both sets of fans are sitting together. It might actually make some folk start to behave like normal members of society.

Aye and let’s have drink in the ground too. In fact, give them a free bar to really get the party going.

HFC_NYC
01-11-2018, 01:45 PM
HoMFC should be forced to remove at least 2 rows from the front of each stand to create a larger run off area. The fact that fans can touch a player when taking a throw in is ridiculous and I'm sure can be quite unsettling for the player taking the throw in. I also noticed that there's barely any room for the player taking corners to get a decent run up. It's a shambles of a stadium and whilst not using this as an excuse for the shocking behavior from fans (on both sides) it is a contributing factor.

JimboHibs
01-11-2018, 02:30 PM

😂😂😂😂

green day
01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Christ almighty - Hibs.net "sponsored by pampers" today or what ?

It was hardly the friggin battle of culloden last night

Games behind closed doors, indeed :rolleyes: behave FFS

I'm Spartacus
01-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Hahaha no way! If you were there you'd know some bits and bobs were thrown, a player was nudged on the cheek and fell like he'd been shot and NL was hit in the chest by a coin, and fell like he'd been shot (lets be honest) EVERYBODY over reacted.

I do think the first 2 rows should be blanked off, great idea from another poster, that doesn't stop anything being thrown from above, the fans were throwing flares into each end of the ground!! Totally mindless.

jgl07
01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
HoMFC should be forced to remove at least 2 rows from the front of each stand to create a larger run off area. The fact that fans can touch a player when taking a throw in is ridiculous and I'm sure can be quite unsettling for the player taking the throw in. I also noticed that there's barely any room for the player taking corners to get a decent run up. It's a shambles of a stadium and whilst not using this as an excuse for the shocking behaviour from fans (on both sides) it is a contributing factor.
Making Tiny FIFA compliant, would solve a lot of problems.

It would make the capacity less than 25,000 though!:wink:

The attitude of many Hearts fans can be traced right back to the pronouncements of their manager/director of football/obergruppenfuhrer. His silly comments to the press indicate that his limited objectives are to put one over on Hibs. He will talk himself into another heart attack at this rate.

Cabbage East
01-11-2018, 03:01 PM

I'm convinced this was all just an elaborate windup now.

CMurdoch
01-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Hope not, behind closed doors is not good for anyone. It penalises the clubs heavily for what is a fan(ny) issue and importantly doesn't change anything.

I also hope putting up fences, screens, nets etc is not an option.

Options could be:

1. No away fans at Tynecastle for the derby and the 1st 3 rows kept clear and covered.
Hibs would obviously have no Hearts supporters at the corresponding match at Easter Road to make it sportingly fair to both teams.
Home fans would only have themselves to fight with and hopefully the players, management and match officials would be much safer.

Or

2. No sales to away supporters under 40 years of age who have convictions for assault or breach of the peace.
Any remaining bams in our support would then be easily spotted and dealt with by the authorities or other Hibs fans in attendance.
Our end would still sell out and it would be a starting point for us to weed out our aholes.

Football administrators speak about thinking outside the box but never do especially if it is too much hassle.

Hermit Crab
01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
HoMFC should be forced to remove at least 2 rows from the front of each stand to create a larger run off area. The fact that fans can touch a player when taking a throw in is ridiculous and I'm sure can be quite unsettling for the player taking the throw in. I also noticed that there's barely any room for the player taking corners to get a decent run up. It's a shambles of a stadium and whilst not using this as an excuse for the shocking behavior from fans (on both sides) it is a contributing factor.

Look, the ground is obviously well within spec or they would not have been given a license to use it in its current state. Nothing wrong with the ground imo.

G B Young
01-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Hope not, behind closed doors is not good for anyone. It penalises the clubs heavily for what is a fan(ny) issue and importantly doesn't change anything.

I also hope putting up fences, screens, nets etc is not an option.

Options could be:

1. No away fans at Tynecastle for the derby and the 1st 3 rows kept clear and covered.
Hibs would obviously have no Hearts supporters at the corresponding match at Easter Road to make it sportingly fair to both teams.
Home fans would only have themselves to fight with and hopefully the players, management and match officials would be much safer.

Or

2. No sales to away supporters under 40 years of age who have convictions for assault or breach of the peace.
Any remaining bams in our support would then be easily spotted and dealt with by the authorities or other Hibs fans in attendance.
Our end would still sell out and it would be a starting point for us to weed out our aholes.

Football administrators speak about thinking outside the box but never do especially if it is too much hassle.

I'd agree with keeping the first few rows clear and covered, although at Tynecastle I think it would have to be the first five rows because of the proximity of the stands to the pitch and the way the rows are so tightly packed in. Keeping the first two or three clear wouldn't create enough of a buffer zone.

HibeeHibernian4
01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
This is all getting a bit hysterical.

Going forward, Tynecastle could really do with removing all the lower sections in their stands and lengthening/widening the pitch, but that isn't going to happen. I certainly think they should put segregation over Section G and N, they are a hotbed for bigotry and sectarianism and attract the worst of their fans who want to spend the game making pathetic gestures at Hibs fans instead of supporting their team. We have to close off the bottom corner of 45 in the East, so they should be expected to do the same here.

G B Young
01-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Christ almighty - Hibs.net "sponsored by pampers" today or what ?

It was hardly the friggin battle of culloden last night

Games behind closed doors, indeed :rolleyes: behave FFS

As has been pointed out on other threads, it's the fact that so many fans still adopt this "man up, it's fitba ken" response to events like last night's that makes the problem worse. The implication is that we should just accept that coins, cigarette lighters, sets of keys etc being thrown at players, officials and coaching staff is just part and parcel of the game, all part of the unique derby experience. It happens in derbies across the world apparently so why should we be any different?

The reason things should be different is because such behaviour is considered unacceptable in pretty much any other sport - and rightly so. The fact so many still seem to think we should just accept it in football is a big part of the reason so many of these bampots are attracted to the game.

While, as I've already stated, I think Hearts have been the architects of the problem to a certain extent by hosting such powderkeg matches in a stadium clearly unsuitable to do so, most football clubs have invested heavily in transforming their stadia into places folk might actually want to take their families to. As a result, crowds have increased and a fanbase of the future is being established. However, the head in the sand mentality of those who look to football as a place where it's OK to behave in such a way will only serve to put people off coming back.

What sort of line has to be crossed before some fans reckon things have gone too far? When a player, manager or official gets seriously hurt, or worse?

Iggy Pope
01-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Not sure how sorry you are but that's exactly what it comes across as. Time for us all to shut up in my opinion.

JimboHibs
01-11-2018, 06:10 PM
I'd agree with keeping the first few rows clear and covered, although at Tynecastle I think it would have to be the first five rows because of the proximity of the stands to the pitch and the way the rows are so tightly packed in. Keeping the first two or three clear wouldn't create enough of a buffer zone.

A buffer zone 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hibeesmad
01-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Some people are going on about the game as if people have been killed. The main reason for all the publicity is Lennon getting hit in the face by a coin thrown from a section of Hearts fans. If this didn't happen then all the rest wouldn't be brought up.

jacomo
01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
The Hibs fan who allegedly punched their keeper and the Hearts fan who threw the coin both need to be identified and punished.

A timely reminder of the consequences of unacceptable behaviour should concentrate some minds.

These fools are a tiny minority - take them out of the equation and all should be fine.

poolman
01-11-2018, 07:18 PM

Seriously, you posted all that to ask about something that will never happen ?

Total overreaction to last night

givescotlandfreedom
01-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Next just not play it and call it draw.

Don't give Levein any ideas!

SideBurns
01-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Was there not a Rangers v Celtic gemme in the 90s at Ibrox played behind closed doors? Johnny Collins scored? Ma brain's frazzled, so could be talking keech.

01-11-2018, 07:51 PM
I can see it ending up like the Glasgow derby with 12.30 Sunday kick offs, particularly if there's any bother at the next ER one at 5.30 on Sat 29th Dec.

pacoluna
01-11-2018, 08:01 PM
What a load of *****.

Famous Fiver
01-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Knowing Hearts as we do someone would forget to order the doors.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2018, 08:09 PM
‘Cause of a the couple of incidents last night? You’re kidding right?

Attention seeking crap.

Next game will be just fine

gaz1875
01-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Simple solutions, sit on the ****in seats, that's why all seated stadiums were brought in. Why it's not enforced by police and stewards is beyond me, this would stop the majority of incidents that happened yesterday.

hibeerealist
01-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Was there not a Rangers v Celtic gemme in the 90s at Ibrox played behind closed doors? Johnny Collins scored? Ma brain's frazzled, so could be talking keech.

Not a a closed door game, no away fans so when JC scored there was the eerie silence other than the Celtic players and bench/management

Jackh
01-11-2018, 08:29 PM

Good lord

G B Young
01-11-2018, 08:39 PM
‘Cause of a the couple of incidents last night? You’re kidding right?

Attention seeking crap.

Next game will be just fine

Hopefully - and because it's at Easter Road I'm pretty sure it will be. When did we last have any serious bother at ER? Certainly not since all four stands were completed as far as I can recall. That's because we have a stadium that is better equipped to host these fixtures and hence why I'm suggesting a rethink on Tynecastle's suitability for the derby. A stadium where fans can reach out and touch the players or officials is recipe for trouble in such a pent-up atmosphere.

G B Young
01-11-2018, 08:41 PM

It wasn't closed doors. It was a ban on away fans. IIRC it was due to Rangers getting hacked off with the amount of vandalism at the away end during Old Firm games at Ibrox.

G B Young
01-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Some people are going on about the game as if people have been killed. The main reason for all the publicity is Lennon getting hit in the face by a coin thrown from a section of Hearts fans. If this didn't happen then all the rest wouldn't be brought up.

Does that mean 'all the rest' is acceptable behaviour?

Jim44
01-11-2018, 08:49 PM
This begs the question - Who is football for? Is it all about the teams and their success or lack of it? Is it about the fans and their enjoyment of the game? Does football behind closed doors have any purpose? IMHO, the day that fans are ‘locked out’ of football is the ‘day the music died’. Long live football.

LancashireHibby
01-11-2018, 08:55 PM
Hopefully - and because it's at Easter Road I'm pretty sure it will be. When did we last have any serious bother at ER? Certainly not since all four stands were completed as far as I can recall. That's because we have a stadium that is better equipped to host these fixtures and hence why I'm suggesting a rethink on Tynecastle's suitability for the derby. A stadium where fans can reach out and touch the players or officials is recipe for trouble in such a pent-up atmosphere.
There hasn’t necessarily been any issues that have directly involved players/coaching staff etc, but there’s certainly been a number of pitch invaders, particularly when Hearts have been the visitors. On one of these occasions, a Hibs fan ran on to the pitch and lamped one of the Hearts fans in what sounds like a similar incident to the one before the game last night.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Mind we also put up a wee red and white tape thing to stop folk running on the pitch at a recent derby!

Made all the difference.

Lancs Harp
01-11-2018, 11:48 PM
Mind we also put up a wee red and white tape thing to stop folk running on the pitch at a recent derby!

Made all the difference.

Remember that :greengrin

Magical crowd control tape. Worked a bit like Batmans shark repellent, certainly effective.:wink:

FilipinoHibs
02-11-2018, 07:30 AM
I'd prefer the police to do some policing to be honest, and remember this is tiny castle we're talking about so the doors we want to shut probably haven't been fitted yet.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Yes police and stewards have done nothing or years even if you complain about the sectarian abuse that comes from sections of the Hearts fans directed at us and now Lennon. Celtic players say it is much worse than Ibrox

JimBHibees
02-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Yes police and stewards have done nothing or years even if you complain about the sectarian abuse that comes from sections of the Hearts fans directed at us and now Lennon. Celtic players say it is much worse than Ibrox

Solely down to the proximity of players to fans. Feel sorry for full backs like Lewis and Tierney of Celtic trying to collect the ball and wondering what sort of lowlife will fire the ball back no doubt with a shed load of vile abuse. The first couple of rows in wheatfield should be shut for that reason.

fairafarhib
02-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Noon kick-offs for both stadiums should calm things down a bit.

TheHarpy76
02-11-2018, 07:51 AM

This is a great idea.

Let’s have all the idiots getting tanked up and watching the game in the pub instead.
I can’t possibly see how that would go wrong.

Our own fans were hardly helping little old ladies across the road on Wednesday night. Should the next one at Easter Road be behind closed doors as well?

G B Young
02-11-2018, 09:08 AM
This is a great idea.

Let’s have all the idiots getting tanked up and watching the game in the pub instead.
I can’t possibly see how that would go wrong.

Our own fans were hardly helping little old ladies across the road on Wednesday night. Should the next one at Easter Road be behind closed doors as well?

If you read my post in full, along with countless others in a similar vein on other threads, you'll see why I've specified Tynecastle as being an unfit stadium to host such events when it comes to providing a safe environment for fans, players, coaching staff and match officials. Since Easter Road was fully rebuilt, can you point to an incident where incidents like Wednesday night's have taken place?

CentreLine
02-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Best post of 2018👍🏻

silverhibee
02-11-2018, 12:27 PM
If you read my post in full, along with countless others in a similar vein on other threads, you'll see why I've specified Tynecastle as being an unfit stadium to host such events when it comes to providing a safe environment for fans, players, coaching staff and match officials. Since Easter Road was fully rebuilt, can you point to an incident where incidents like Wednesday night's have taken place?

Okay here goes.

Fans on the pitch at ER. Yes

Nasty songs. Yes

Coins and flares being thrown. Yes

A fan trying to get on the pitch from the main stand to attack officials. Yes

There has been plenty of bother at Derby games at ER over the years, pitch invasion after a Rangers game as well.

Have we targeted a player for abuse and thrown coins and other missiles at the player at ER. Yes.

CathroMustStay
02-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Ridiculous hysteria!

Empty stadium FFS what nonsense!

G B Young
02-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Bit of a whitewash job from Levein here. I think Hearts have a fair bit to answer for when it comes to ensuring they've done enough to make their stadium safe. The emergence of the 'Gorgie/Billy boys' section harks back to a previous era and has no place in Edinburgh football (or indeed in any part of football as Lennon has pointed out today):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46069915