PDA

View Full Version : Talk sport interviews L.D

cam75
01-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Coming up today on talk sport if anyone interested.
Ggtth

bingo70
01-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Coming up today on talk sport if anyone interested.
Ggtth

Did they say what time?

bingo70
01-11-2018, 09:17 AM
To answer my own question, Jim White has said it's coming on just after the break so should be on shortly.

Beefster
01-11-2018, 09:18 AM
I switched it on about 5 mins ago just to hear this. Still waiting but ffs, TalkSport is grim.

lucky
01-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Apparently on next

Hibbyradge
01-11-2018, 09:23 AM
"Full scale investigation underway".

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Jim White, what a ****in dick. :rolleyes:

Beefster
01-11-2018, 09:29 AM
It’s like listening to the radio version of The Sun or Daily Record.

McSwanky
01-11-2018, 09:31 AM
White suggesting that Hearts fans should shop the person who threw the coin. The issue is it wasn't just one person, there were objects being thrown from both sides all night, each as dangerous as the others.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2018, 09:31 AM
It’s like listening to the radio version of The Sun or Daily Record.

That’s what it is - isn’t it the sun that owns them? That’s why Colin Murray resigned.

Beefster
01-11-2018, 09:32 AM
That’s what it is - isn’t it the sun that owns them? That’s why Colin Murray resigned.

Didn’t know that tbf. Makes sense then!

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2018, 09:33 AM
Didn’t know that tbf. Makes sense then!

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/13/colin-murray-quits-talksport-sun-owner-news-corp

bingo70
01-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Genuinely can't believe Lennon is being made out to be the bad guy here.

Utterly ridiculous and if i was him i'd be tempted to walk away from this nonsense. Why the hell should he have to change his behaviour to bow to these idiots that can't behave themselves?

Bristolhibby
01-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Genuinely can't believe Lennon is being made out to be the bad guy here.

Utterly ridiculous and if i was him i'd be tempted to walk away from this nonsense. Why the hell should he have to change his behaviour to bow to these idiots that can't behave themselves?

First thing the Celtic fan in the office said. “Lennon was a bit naughty” had to put him right that the coin thrower is the naughty one. And that Lenny had abuse all night.

Disappointed coming from a Celtic fan seeing as he was their ex Captain and retired from international football because he got bullets sent to him in the post.

J

CentreLine
01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Going by the flawed logic of the presenters of that show more or less everyone that is assaulted or killed is responsible for what happened. That’s the stuff that makes rape victims responsible because of the way they dress or maybe Lee Rigby would carry responsiblity because he wore a uniform. Utterly utterly flawed but so very right wing.

calumhibee1
01-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Going by the flawed logic of the presenters of that show more or less everyone that is assaulted or killed is responsible for what happened. That’s the stuff that makes rape victims responsible because of the way they dress or maybe Lee Rigby would carry responsiblity because he wore a uniform. Utterly utterly flawed but so very right wing.

Yup. The notion that Lennon was at fault for it is utterly ridiculous.

Thegreenside
01-11-2018, 09:57 AM

?????
what a ridiclous comparison.

Cabbage East
01-11-2018, 10:08 AM
?????

No it's not. It's logical. Lennon is the victim of an assault, regardless of whether or not he was winding the fans up.

CentreLine
01-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Thank you Cabbage. That is exactly the point. Sorry TheGreenside but you have just not read what I said. It is so easy to quickly read a comment and not get the gist. My comment is about flawed logic and outdated points of view. Rarely is a person responsible for their own assault, only the assailant(s) can generally be responsible. Anything otherwise suggests that lashing out is the acceptable option.

Justifiable assault requires a great deal more provocation than NL, or for that matter what the hearts goalie, presented last night.
Examples of justifiable assaults, past and present, include smacking your own child and go all the way to the actions of a state executioner but that’s a whole different argument, probably not for this forum.

crash
01-11-2018, 10:23 AM
I listened to the game on Radio Scotland last night and you could clearly hear the Hearts fans in the background shouting anti-catholic abuse at Neil Lennon for 90 min. It was that bad that the commentator had to continually apologise to the listeners for it.
Tell me anybody who would stand there taking that for 90 minutes without turning around. I thought he handled it brilliantly.

Smartie
01-11-2018, 10:32 AM
Re Talksport, I've heard it is affectionately known as metoo fm in sections of the media due to the behaviour and history of their older male presenters.

They are aware of their image and are likely to try to change it over the next few years.

Funny I was just having that conversation with someone a few days ago and then when I turned it on this morning we had a lovely bit of victim blaming with Jim White.

Thegreenside
01-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Thank you Cabbage. That is exactly the point. Sorry TheGreenside but you have just not read what I said. It is so easy to quickly read a comment and not get the gist. My comment is about flawed logic and outdated points of view. Rarely is a person responsible for their own assault, only the assailant(s) can generally be responsible. Anything otherwise suggests that lashing out is the acceptable option.

Justifiable assault requires a great deal more provocation than NL, or for that matter what the hearts goalie, presented last night.
Examples of justifiable assaults, past and present, include smacking your own child and go all the way to the actions of a state executioner but that’s a whole different argument, probably not for this forum.

Get the jist of what you are saying, just don’t agree that what happened to Lennon (agreed assault) is the same as Lee Rigbys murder. Lennon was goading their support, which I enjoy seeing him do. That doesn’t justify the actions but I can see why the fan done it. Just like the hibs fans to Kyle (I think) when he taunted the east stand, 100s of pounds got chucked at him that game

Eaststandee
01-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Get the jist of what you are saying, just don’t agree that what happened to Lennon (agreed assault) is the same as Lee Rigbys murder. Lennon was goading their support, which I enjoy seeing him do. That doesn’t justify the actions but I can see why the fan done it. Just like the hibs fans to Kyle (I think) when he taunted the east stand, 100s of pounds got chucked at him that game

That's clearly not what he's saying ffs.

Not In The Know
01-11-2018, 02:27 PM
I listened to the game on Radio Scotland last night and you could clearly hear the Hearts fans in the background shouting anti-catholic abuse at Neil Lennon for 90 min. It was that bad that the commentator had to continually apologise to the listeners for it.
Tell me anybody who would stand there taking that for 90 minutes without turning around. I thought he handled it brilliantly.

WOW thats incredible - i dont doubt you but does anyone have a recording of this?

green day
01-11-2018, 02:39 PM
?????

No, it comes into the category of Victim Blaming, happens a lot, tbf -

Girl gets raped? Shouldnt have dressed that way/got drunk/walked home in dark

Cyclist killed by a truck? Should have worn a helmet/had better lights/had hi viz/be on a bike lane

Abortion clinic gets bombed? Shouldnt advertise in the bible belt/be in business at all

Black guy shot by police? Shouldnt be walking in the street at night/driving a flash car

Lennon gets assaulted? Asking for it/Should say nothing/At it again/Got form/Needs to look at himself etc etc etc etc

I do wonder what Sportsound will make of this later - pretty sure that Tom English (if on) wont have any truck with the Lennon blaming.

Gary Caldwell sent a "clarification" tweet this morning, presumably due to the abuse he got on the back of his comments.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Caldwell on the radio said NL brings it all on himself before in his next sentence telling everyone how he was hit by a coin last weekend.

Presumably he brought that on himself?

LancsHibs
01-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Who was the idiot on with Jim White? Recognised the voice but just can’t think who they are? Claimed the trouble last night is down to deep routed sectarianism:crazy: Jumbo Jim agreed with him!!!!

McSwanky
01-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Who was the idiot on with Jim White? Recognised the voice but just can’t think who they are? Claimed the trouble last night is down to deep routed sectarianism:crazy: Jumbo Jim agreed with him!!!!

Think it was Tony Cascarino?

Hibbyradge
01-11-2018, 03:37 PM

Why is Lennon hated by Hertz and Huns so much and called a Fenian bassa etc?

green day
01-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Think it was Tony Cascarino?

Dean Saunders was on too

McSwanky
01-11-2018, 03:49 PM

OK, here goes. (And take this as a direct response to your question rather than a general response to what went on last night.)

Did any of us like Lennon as a player when he was at Celtic? I certainly didn't, I found him to be an argumentative, petty, overly combative, dirty player. Just the sort of player we all like to have in our team, but love to hate when he's in the other team.

He's carried this attitude into his management persona for me, so I don't believe all of it is down to sectarian hatred. If he's not on your side, he comes across as a pretty unsavoury character IMO. There are numerous incidents where Lennon has been involved in something or other with no sectarian element, the Jim Duffy one being a prime example. There's no smoke without fire as far as I'm concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Lennon has done for this club and I'm really glad he's here and on our side, but I totally get why people dislike him.

...and before anyone accuses me of 'victim blaming,' I don't condone any of the crap that went on in the stands last night. None of that is acceptable.

CLASS OF 72 -73
01-11-2018, 04:13 PM

Comedian Bob Mills.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2018, 04:55 PM
OK, here goes. (And take this as a direct response to your question rather than a general response to what went on last night.)

Did any of us like Lennon as a player when he was at Celtic? I certainly didn't, I found him to be an argumentative, petty, overly combative, dirty player. Just the sort of player we all like to have in our team, but love to hate when he's in the other team.

He's carried this attitude into his management persona for me, so I don't believe all of it is down to sectarian hatred. If he's not on your side, he comes across as a pretty unsavoury character IMO. There are numerous incidents where Lennon has been involved in something or other with no sectarian element, the Jim Duffy one being a prime example. There's no smoke without fire as far as I'm concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Lennon has done for this club and I'm really glad he's here and on our side, but I totally get why people dislike him.

...and before anyone accuses me of 'victim blaming,' I don't condone any of the crap that went on in the stands last night. None of that is acceptable.

You're right about that, and I get that he's easy to dislike so that doesn't help, but he played in England from 1987 till 2000 and didn't attract any similar trouble.

I think there have been numerous characters in Scottish football who have been hated because of the way they played, or their personalities.

None have had to put up with the level and type of abuse Neil Lennon has.

The bullets and death threats weren't sent to him because he's a bit unsavoury. He wasn't strongly advised by the NI police to retire early from international football because he was overly combative. A bomb intercepted on its way to his house wasn't sent because he was argumentative or dirty. He was also attacked in the street and beaten unconscious. That's not just a football issue.

Where I would also agree with your point is that there are other well known Catholics who play in Scottish football and they haven't suffered to the same extent.

However, he gets way more grief because he's a high profile Catholic from Northern Ireland who was captain of Celtic.

Hibbyradge
01-11-2018, 05:27 PM
This is a very interesting read;

Football: Why do people want to kill Neil Lennon?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/sep/17/football-why-kill-neil-lennon?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

ancient hibee
01-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Surely Lennon was attacked by Duffy and the rest of his bench when he shouted at one of their players who had just made what could have been a career ending tackle.Lennon was punished but I thought he was the innocent party.Like others I disliked him when he was at Celtic because he was a wee scrote-remember him taking a dive to try and get Brown sent off but I couldn't even have told you what religion he was.With Hearts I suspect it's different and as well as being manager of their greatest rivals his religion is a big factor.Don't forget this is the club that had to tell supporters in the programme not to boo Jimmy Wardaugh at home matches.He was their top scorer.He was also a Catholic.

Beefster
01-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Comedian Bob Mills.

You forgot the inverted commas there.

‘Comedian’ Bob Mills.

Sammy7nil
01-11-2018, 06:31 PM

Let's not pretend that Lennon was not a nasty niggling wee bassa when he played.

LancsHibs
01-11-2018, 06:43 PM

Think the point he was making is that Hibs & Hearts rivalry is a sectarian one, not specifically NL he then quantified this by comparing it to Rangers/Celtic

Smartie
01-11-2018, 09:10 PM
I thought Lennon's general conduct during the fiasco that led to Dougie McDonald retiring and the referees striking was disgraceful. I couldn't stand him at that point.

I didn't really mind him as a player. He was a bit niggly, but that was the role he played. You don't get to play that role for Celtic without being abrasive and annoyingly effective.

I love him as Hibs manager.

I'm somewhere between being a Protestant and an atheist and couldn't care less what religion he is. He has my team playing great football and I'll always be grateful for that. The treatment he receives at Tynecastle and Ibrox disgusts me, although I'm never quite sure if he hates it or strangely loves every minute.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2018, 09:12 PM
I thought Lennon's general conduct during the fiasco that led to Dougie McDonald retiring and the referees striking was disgraceful. I couldn't stand him at that point.

I didn't really mind him as a player. He was a bit niggly, but that was the role he played. You don't get to play that role for Celtic without being abrasive and annoyingly effective.

I love him as Hibs manager.

Didn’t Dougie Macdonald retire cos he told a lie then asked his linesman to lie as well to cover it up?

Smartie
01-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Didn’t Dougie Macdonald retire cos he told a lie then asked his linesman to lie as well to cover it up?

Was it not all a bit unnecessary and under huge pressure from Lennon and Celtic?

I remember the phrase "seeking clarification" being uttered a lot by Lennon, and it annoying me at the time.

I can't remember the specifics but I do remember having a conversation with one of my mates (a Dundee United fan) about it, and we were both very anti Neil Lennon at the time.

Danderhall Hibs
01-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Was it not all a bit unnecessary and under huge pressure from Lennon and Celtic?

I remember the phrase "seeking clarification" being uttered a lot by Lennon, and it annoying me at the time.

I can't remember the specifics but I do remember having a conversation with one of my mates (a Dundee United fan) about it, and we were both very anti Neil Lennon at the time.

From wiki:
During a Scottish Premier League match on 17 October 2010 between Dundee United and Celtic, McDonald awarded a penalty kick to Celtic in the 70th minute, but later reversed the decision after consulting one of the assistant referees.[8][9] The incident became the subject of an investigation.[10][11][12] McDonald was censured by the SFA Referee Committee for lying in his post-match report about the circumstances surrounding his decision not to award the penalty kick.[13][14] The assistant referee involved was given a lifetime ban.[15]

If it happened to my team I’d want my manager to go into bat for us and if I was in the other side I’d be moaning about the guy doing the moaning. :greengrin

JimBHibees
02-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Surely Lennon was attacked by Duffy and the rest of his bench when he shouted at one of their players who had just made what could have been a career ending tackle.Lennon was punished but I thought he was the innocent party.Like others I disliked him when he was at Celtic because he was a wee scrote-remember him taking a dive to try and get Brown sent off but I couldn't even have told you what religion he was.With Hearts I suspect it's different and as well as being manager of their greatest rivals his religion is a big factor.Don't forget this is the club that had to tell supporters in the programme not to boo Jimmy Wardaugh at home matches.He was their top scorer.He was also a Catholic.

Yep it was the Morton bench that caused that big time.