PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

blackpoolhibs
31-10-2018, 10:11 PM
This man deserves a thread of his own, absolutely immense tonight. :top marks

essexhibee
31-10-2018, 10:12 PM
A brick wall. One of the very few positives.

Doh Rae Me
31-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Gave 100%, great game from Daz.

Northernhibee
31-10-2018, 10:13 PM
Proved me wrong. Well in.

coco22
31-10-2018, 10:14 PM
Totally agree. Boy on the match day thread saying he’s finished... he was immense tonight

BOB MARLEYS DUG
And folk said it was time for him to think about packing it in 😂

gaz1875
One everything him and Milligan

Forza Fred
Yep, my man of the match....although he'd be everybody's man of the match if he had got his header on target from the early corner.

BILLYHIBS
31-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Immense in the air my man of the match

Still a couple of rusty moments but his timing coming back

I thought Bartley was very good as well he was my candidate to get sent off

Happy with a draw all things considered

hibsbollah
31-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Warrior.

hibee_girl
31-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Was like he'd never been away

Lemonade
31-10-2018, 10:17 PM
And folk said it was time for him to think about packing it in 😂

:agree: Seen that post but can't find it again.
Mental

O'Rourke3
31-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Massive tonight.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
31-10-2018, 10:21 PM
A few dodgy moments and a bad miss with his header but he’d put his head in a vice for Hibs.

Wee Effen Bee
31-10-2018, 10:22 PM
I said on the match day thread that McGregor had won nearly every ball into the box, Efe won the other two😁, but people wanted him off! Mental! Thought Whittaker showed his experience and did well on the right. McGregor has a ba magnet for a head and always does well against their tactics. If he had scored at the other end, his statue would have been in place at ER by Saturday.

MWHIBBIES
31-10-2018, 10:22 PM
I read on here he'd be hanging up his boots at the end of the season.

Top quality no nonsense defender.

Jones28
31-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Who actually got MOTM? Daz must have been in with a shout.

Bishop Hibee
31-10-2018, 10:23 PM
Brilliant in the air tonight which is what was needed.

judas
31-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Yes. He’s a top man and a top hibby.

He was solid tonight and hibs played well in the defensive sense.

one day maybe...
31-10-2018, 10:24 PM
Absolute Rock all night #GGTTH

Weegreenman
31-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Two very dodgy moments were he could have gave away a penalty. Other than that, he had a decent game alongside Ambrose.

Skol
31-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Opinions eh, I thought McGregor looked a bit rusty and didnt win the ball as cleanly as he normally does

calumhibee1
31-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Absolute rock.

Eyrie
31-10-2018, 10:33 PM
McGregor was comfortably the best player on the pitch.

SideBurns
31-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Won every ball he attacked in the air; which made Bogdan's decision to come rushing out for the offside 'goal' at the end madness. Stay in his 6 yard box and let Daz and Efe take care of crosses/throws landing around the penalty spot. Rush of blood from big Adam but he got away with it.

Anyway, it was a performance reminiscent of Yogi & Shaun Dennis in the Millennium Derby, and exactly what you need at Tynie.

CMac1988
31-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Solid tonight. I missed him out when mentioning a few players who I gave pass marks but he won everything. Had a couple of hiccups where he misread the ball but dealt with the aftermath of each as needed.

As for the penalty shouts the first the player he climbed over was holding on to our other defender (can't mind who it was), so much of nothing. Second he won clearly. Good game.

Sammy7nil
01-11-2018, 09:22 AM
MoM by some way only Bartley got any where near him.

He is exactly the man you need in your team at Tynecastle he loved the battle which he won hands down.

HibeeHibernian4
01-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Weird how football's a game of opinions, I thought he was very poor last night. Gave the ball away in very dangerous positions about three or four times and if Hearts had been more clinical they'd have exploited at least of them.

He won his headers, but also has an infuriating habit of putting the ball out of play in line with the penalty box, rather than getting it further up the line and taking some of the pressure off us.

Opinions, eh? I thought Bartley was immense in the middle.

Up The Bracket
03-11-2018, 05:18 PM
I’m sorry but he’s totally finished, winning a few headers in the box doesn’t justify for giving away pointless free kicks and penalties regularly and heading the ball to absolutely no one every time he receives it.

No doubt I’ll be shot down for disrespecting “one of our own” but he’s finished and has been for a while, anyone who disagrees is totally naive.

Centre Hawf
03-11-2018, 05:25 PM
I’m sorry but he’s totally finished, winning a few headers in the box doesn’t justify for giving away pointless free kicks and penalties regularly and heading the ball to absolutely no one every time he receives it.

No doubt I’ll be shot down for disrespecting “one of our own” but he’s finished and has been for a while, anyone who disagrees is totally naive.

He was excellent against Hearts but that game suited him to a tee. Not a lot of space to be exploited, two centre halves around him, holding mid in front of him.

Watching him against Celtic the other week was painful however, any team with a bit of pace and on a big pitch will have fun against him.

cleanyman
03-11-2018, 05:26 PM
A dreadful performance

Jones28
03-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Why tf he came on I've no idea.

Lewiehas2
03-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Thought he was our weak link against hearts first half, very poor. Was better second half but don’t know what he was playing at today. He’s 4th choice for me

leither17
03-11-2018, 05:39 PM
From where I was sitting he was fouled for the free kick

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2018, 05:40 PM

"This is my opinion and anyone who disagrees is wrong"

Has he actually been finished for a while? Was he finished when he was playing every week only a few months ago and we were beating everyone?

He made a really bad mistake today. He played well on Wednesday.

You're post is extreme nonsense, try again when you've calmed down.

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2018, 05:41 PM
He was terrible in the first half on Wednesday too.

maturehibby
03-11-2018, 07:01 PM
love his style of play but erred a couple of times today and was caught out for their free kick that led to the goal
a change from Effie getting the flack today
coming back from a long lay off and will get back to his best pretty soon.
not the same without Hanlon along side him
would die for the Jersey so lay off him. please

Dancehibs
03-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Stop making stuff up. Was a rock. Cleared so many balls into our box

pacoluna
03-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Pish.

SRHibs
03-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah I think Porteous is miles better than him.

Dancehibs
03-11-2018, 07:24 PM

How many penalties has he regularly given away ?

hibsbollah
03-11-2018, 07:32 PM

He was immense on Wednesday.

Hiber-nation
03-11-2018, 07:33 PM

Aye right so he was. What a ridiculous comment. Our best player on Wednesday without a doubt.

HibeeHibernian4
03-11-2018, 07:58 PM
Honestly watch the game back, he made about three or four mistakes in the first half at Tynecastle, in the second he headed the ball away a lot, that isn’t impressive and it’s seemingly the only thing he can do. Why Porteous isn’t playing is beyond me. We conceded no goals between Kilmarnock 3-2’s second half and the 6-0 against accies, McGregor starts against Celtic and we’re 2-0 down in twenty minutes and he was at fault for goals two and three.

LustForLeith
03-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Darren’s never been the fastest and the older he gets he’s not going to improve that. I love him but he’s been a bit exposed recently.

kaimendhibs
03-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Christ. Lose a game and suddenly for some Daz is finished. Crock of **** imo

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Darren’s never been the fastest and the older he gets he’s not going to improve that. I love him but he’s been a bit exposed recently.

Darren is one of the quickest defenders I've seen at Hibs. Very fast even last season.

wookie70
03-11-2018, 08:06 PM
From where I was sitting he was fouled for the free kick
Looked more like he was destroyed for pace and rugby tackled their player to me at the game and on the highlights. Daz looks like he needs games to get his form back but it may cost us in the meantime. If Porteous is fit it is bizarre he isn't featuring

leither17
03-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Looked more like he was destroyed for pace and rugby tackled their player to me at the game and on the highlights. Daz looks like he needs games to get his form back but it may cost us in the meantime. If Porteous is fit it is bizarre he isn't featuring

I thought the boy had his arm around Darren’s waist and dragged him to the ground I’ll have to have another look at it

SideBurns
03-11-2018, 08:15 PM
We're missing Hanlon. Not only is he a terrific centre-half but he brings the ball out of defence and has a fantastic range of passing.

No reflection on Daz's commitment which is beyond question, but imo he's way behind our first choice defenders

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2018, 08:17 PM
We're missing Hanlon. Not only is he a terrific centre-half but he brings the ball out of defence and has a fantastic range of passing.

No reflection on Daz's commitment which is beyond question, but imo he's way behind our first choice defenders

:agree: i was just looking earlier the last time Hanlon played, Aberdeen cup game

hibee62
03-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Christ. Lose a game and suddenly for some Daz is finished. Crock of **** imo

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I think it’s unfair to suggest this is sudden, and is only because of a quality young centre back coming through who has now gone past our oldest defender in terms of quality. This was the opinion of the manager until the Celtic game too. He’s not out the picture, but for many he’s fallen down the pecking order.

wookie70
03-11-2018, 08:20 PM
I thought the boy had his arm around Darren’s waist and dragged him to the ground I’ll have to have another look at it

Both were using arms and the Killie boy had better pace and equalled Daz for strength. Very unusual for Daz to lose out in a foot race/strength battle but he has looked a bit out of sorts since returning from injury to me. The Derby will have been fuelled by adrenalin for him but maybe his age and injuries are starting to catch up a wee bit. Hope he bounces back after a few more games but the defence is changed so often that might be unlikely.

Dancehibs
03-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Contact hibs sports science dude his stats will show daz is one of our fastest players

Dancehibs
03-11-2018, 08:31 PM
I think it’s unfair to suggest this is sudden, and is only because of a quality young centre back coming through who has now gone past our oldest defender in terms of quality. This was the opinion of the manager until the Celtic game too. He’s not out the picture, but for many he’s fallen down the pecking order.
Daz offers what effe and Paul don’t. They have skills and talent that daz doesn’t. You need a daz in Scotland.

GlasgowHibee
03-11-2018, 08:43 PM
He’s utterly *****, just a strong laddie who can kick the ball. Porteous a far better player.

hibee62
03-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Daz offers what effe and Paul don’t. They have skills and talent that daz doesn’t. You need a daz in Scotland.

I just think the others are all better at distribution than Mcgregor and we lose something when McGregor just puts it anywhere, even when under no pressure. I actually think Porteous is better in the air too now and once he improves his decision making over distribution he’ll be in ahead of Ambrose as well.

The 90+2
03-11-2018, 08:47 PM

He was our best player the other night.

The 90+2
03-11-2018, 08:48 PM

**** off. You’re at it.

Since90+2
03-11-2018, 08:50 PM
He’s utterly *****, just a strong laddie who can kick the ball. Porteous a far better player.

Probably the worst post I've ever read on Hibs.net and that's saying something.

Thankfully Darren has a mental strength that means he doesn't allow ***** comments like that effect him and has achieved a lot more in his life than those making the comments.

DaveF
03-11-2018, 08:52 PM

Maybe Daz could line you up in a tackle and knock some sense into you. What a terrible post.

matty_f
03-11-2018, 08:55 PM

That's rubbish. Ryan's a good player who should have a great career in the game, but to say McGregor is ***** is bollocks.

BILLYHIBS
03-11-2018, 09:00 PM

:faf:

Dancehibs
03-11-2018, 09:02 PM
You’d be better saying in Glasgow

Smartie
03-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Darren is one of my all-time favourite Hibs players.

He's still got it and will be a huge player for us between now and the end of the season.

Ryan Porteous will become a better player for having him around.

He gave a free kick away today after a tangle with a striker. It's up for debate whether or not it was even a mistake let alone a sign that he's finished.

MWHIBBIES
03-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Just a strong Scottish cup winner. Show a bit of ****ing respect. Clown.

He's a very good defender. Reads it well, quick, aggressive, strong. He was our best player in promotion season. He was brilliant in the 2nd half of last season. If porteous does half as well for Hibs as Darren we'll have a player indeed.

Criswell
03-11-2018, 11:29 PM
For the free-kick which led to their goal he is being more fouled against than fouling. I also think the penalty decision against us was harsh.

Centre Hawf
03-11-2018, 11:33 PM
Some of the posts in this are dreadful. For what it’s worth I think Daz is showing signs of age and injuries catching up to him and appears to be struggling for form and maybe confidence and sharpness due to his lack of game time.

But the man is a legend and is no where near as bad as some are suggesting. I do believe Porteous should be playing over him though.

stoneyburn hibs
04-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Some of the posts in this are dreadful. For what it’s worth I think Daz is showing signs of age and injuries catching up to him and appears to be struggling for form and maybe confidence and sharpness due to his lack of game time.

But the man is a legend and is no where near as bad as some are suggesting. I do believe Porteous should be playing over him though.

Same thoughts, Ryan is or should be ahead of Daz now.

Benji1
04-11-2018, 01:26 AM

Some of the stuff on here is unreal. McGregor granted shouldn’t have fouled the guy I thought at the time he was taking one for the team , but has been fantastic for us and will always be a legend .

blackpoolhibs
04-11-2018, 11:26 AM
I am firmly in the camp that Porteous should be in the team, i cant see why he's not playing but i can have a guess.

Perhaps he's carrying a knock, or the manager is giving him a rest maybe he thinks he's protecting him, young players like him do have a habit of coming in doing well then going off the boil from too many games.

Porteous has played an awful lot of football this last year, he's hardly had a break because of playing for Scotland in tournaments through the close season, then injured and then straight back into the team after our European adventure.

I'd imagine he will be back in soon, as for McGregor, he was superb on Wednesday night, but i feel Porteous should play before him and will be his replacement sooner rather than later.

SMAXXA
04-11-2018, 01:17 PM

Geezo what game were you watching

scoopyboy
04-11-2018, 01:35 PM
I think the Darren McGregor career story is fantastic.

Junior player who turned senior and then went back junior cos it didn't work out.

Gave senior another bash and went from Cowdenbeath to St.Mirren to Rangers to us. Also recovered from two horrific knee injuries.

Won the Scottish Cup, Scottish Championship and helped us into Europe in our first season back up.

He is in a catch 22 situation, he can't play twice or thrice a week without suffering and then has to limit his training, when he returns he is a bit rusty. To me he is doing well but is obviously coming to the end of his career. 34 before the start of next season I would probably give him a 1 year contract max but he's one of my favourites from the cup winning team.

I think however it's time he was being used as a back up to Ryan Porteous and not in front of him and to me there is no shame in that.

andybev1
04-11-2018, 01:49 PM
He has been disappointing this season. Slow and clumsy. not the player be was last season so far

scoopyboy
04-11-2018, 01:52 PM
He has been disappointing this season. Slow and clumsy. not the player be was last season so far

He's missed a lot of games though which doesn't help.

Shrekko
04-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Junior player who turned senior and then went back junior cos it didn't work out.

Gave senior another bash and went from Cowdenbeath to St.Mirren to Rangers to us. Also recovered from two horrific knee injuries.

Won the Scottish Cup, Scottish Championship and helped us into Europe in our first season back up.

He is in a catch 22 situation, he can't play twice or thrice a week without suffering and then has to limit his training, when he returns he is a bit rusty. To me he is doing well but is obviously coming to the end of his career. 34 before the start of next season I would probably give him a 1 year contract max but he's one of my favourites from the cup winning team.

I think however it's time he was being used as a back up to Ryan Porteous and not in front of him and to me there is no shame in that.

I wish all you read on here could be as balanced and respectful👍🏻

The man would run through a brick wall for Hibs and seems a great guy. Why anyone would post some of the stuff that’s gone up on this thread is incredible.

I actually partly agree with what some folk are saying about the first half on Wednesday but overall he put in the normal brave, committed performance and played a huge part in our shut out at a difficult venue. Hopefully he’s around the club for a long time in some capacity.

Lemonade
04-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Excellent and respectful post. Thank you.

Dancehibs
04-11-2018, 02:23 PM
He’s played two league games

Tarrahib
04-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Come on Hibs give youth a chance.

Heckys Wheel
04-11-2018, 02:30 PM

I tell you what, you have to wonder if some people on here have ever actually watched Hibs play.

To say McGregor has never been the quickest, is utter drivel.

flash
04-11-2018, 02:37 PM
He might be past his peak but some of the stuff on here is bang out of order.

Tarrahib
04-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Come on Hibs give youth a chance.
Get Fraser Murray,Ryan Porteous,James Gullan and Andrew Blake on the pitch now and let them show what they can do.it is obvious that These guys are the future of the club.Turn back the clock and give youth a chance.

HibeeHibernian4
04-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Geezo what game were you watching

I've watched the first half through again (edit: here's a GIF of each incident so you can see what I'm talking about).

2 minutes in, he risks giving away a penalty by needlessly climbing with two hands all over Jimmy Dunne: https://giphy.com/gifs/5YpJaMNfIcE2yM70an

For the first 15-20 minutes, almost every header he makes gives the ball straight back to Hearts in dangerous positions. The most classic example of this is when he has so much time and space to deal with a high ball and he heads it straight out for a Hearts throw in, that gives them momentum luckily stopped by Milligan's tackle: https://giphy.com/gifs/fnPQFYCSeBGTY21eBq

He does well to make space for himself at the back post from a corner, but fails to put his header on target: https://giphy.com/gifs/C8wi5nelwCQZliQxqp

On one occasion he allows himself to get drawn so far out of position it's scary, luckily Djoum heads well over: https://giphy.com/gifs/yx4PqVwPoqhlvFlSa0

This one at the half hour mark was one of the worst headers I've ever seen, and leads to a free kick in a dangerous position being given away: https://giphy.com/gifs/9x5ctpLDfXoo3YZB1F

In fact, watching this half back, the best feature of McGregor's game is that he's good at shepherding the ball back to Bogdan.

So maybe the better question is, what game were you watching?

HibeeHibernian4
05-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Tumbleweeds.

Seems nobody wants to defend McGregor's "man of the match" performance at Tynecastle after all. :rolleyes:

jacomo
05-11-2018, 02:59 PM
I tell you what, you have to wonder if some people on here have ever actually watched Hibs play.

To say McGregor has never been the quickest, is utter drivel.

:agree:

Surprisingly pacy for a big man and his recovery has got both him and us out of many a hole in the past.

ancient hibee
05-11-2018, 03:15 PM
However on Saturday he misjudged a ball couldn’t recover and in the tangle the ref gave them the foul(which could have gone either way).Doesn’t make him a bad player although I thought Porteous should have come on.What people should perhaps also realise is that being a legend doesn’t stop you being criticised and that as always some of the criticism will be over the top.

Smartie
05-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Tumbleweeds.

Seems nobody wants to defend McGregor's "man of the match" performance at Tynecastle after all. :rolleyes:

Does it even need defending?

Criticism of Darren at this point is mental, and folk who are going down this route frankly deserve to be watching Michael Nelson, David Stephens or Colin Murdock.

He made a semi-mistake on Saturday. Sometimes defenders make mistakes. He's missed a few games of late through injury.

Darren McGregor is a top class defender and will continue to be one for a few years yet.

Tumbleweeds are what this nonsense deserves.

Dancehibs
05-11-2018, 04:07 PM
I've watched the first half through again (edit: here's a GIF of each incident so you can see what I'm talking about).

2 minutes in, he risks giving away a penalty by needlessly climbing with two hands all over Jimmy Dunne: https://giphy.com/gifs/5YpJaMNfIcE2yM70an

For the first 15-20 minutes, almost every header he makes gives the ball straight back to Hearts in dangerous positions. The most classic example of this is when he has so much time and space to deal with a high ball and he heads it straight out for a Hearts throw in, that gives them momentum luckily stopped by Milligan's tackle: https://giphy.com/gifs/fnPQFYCSeBGTY21eBq

He does well to make space for himself at the back post from a corner, but fails to put his header on target: https://giphy.com/gifs/C8wi5nelwCQZliQxqp

On one occasion he allows himself to get drawn so far out of position it's scary, luckily Djoum heads well over: https://giphy.com/gifs/yx4PqVwPoqhlvFlSa0

This one at the half hour mark was one of the worst headers I've ever seen, and leads to a free kick in a dangerous position being given away: https://giphy.com/gifs/9x5ctpLDfXoo3YZB1F

In fact, watching this half back, the best feature of McGregor's game is that he's good at shepherding the ball back to Bogdan.

So maybe the better question is, what game were you watching?
Seriously get yourself to Scorpio Leisure

JimBHibees
05-11-2018, 04:21 PM

:faf::faf:

HibeeHibernian4
05-11-2018, 04:22 PM
Seriously get yourself to Scorpio Leisure

:greengrin

hibsbollah
05-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Tumbleweeds.

Maybe nobody could find the words to describe the sad reality that you spent a significant chunk of your free time on Sunday putting all that together just so you could make some 'flimsy 'evidence' to prove your 'point'.

matty_f
05-11-2018, 04:31 PM
He might be past his peak but some of the stuff on here is bang out of order.

:agree:.

It's too early to say if he's past his best as well, he's just back playing after a bad injury. Players need a few games to get up to speed usually.

Scoopyboy's post was probably the best I've read on this topic.

Mango Man
05-11-2018, 04:31 PM
:agree:

Surprisingly pacy for a big man and his recovery has got both him and us out of many a hole in the past.
My mate had a wee tour and behind the scenes look at Easter road towards the end of last season, and the sports science guys said something along the lines of Daz being the 2nd or 3rd fastest in the team!! I was shocked at that, but he does have a deceiving turn of pace, especially with knackered knees.

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2018, 04:54 PM
:confused:

Daz is sound!
He is coming back from injury and his timing and judgement is still slightly out.
In football sometimes you get the breaks sometimes you don’t.
He will come on the more games he plays.
On Wednesday he was a rock he got away with a couple of challenges and had a good opportunity to score or at least hit the target.
He was magnificent in the air on Wednesday and won everything.
OK as another poster has meticulously pointed out perhaps not all his clearances fell to a green jersey or out of play but in the hurly burly of an Edinburgh Derby you just have to chase the ball clear your lines and close down the opposition as quickly as possible
I lost count of the amount of times he saved us on Wednesday.
Saturdays match had the same endgame as Wednesday only this time we did not get away with it our luck ran out and the better team won.
We go again on Friday

Viva_Palmeiras
06-11-2018, 05:17 AM
He’s played two league games

NoQuarterGiven.Net

mibbie one day some a academic will come up with a filter to turn up/down the noise based on folks mood/inclination.