PDA

View Full Version : Good result

Diclonius
31-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Let's take the context here: Hearts at the top of the league and with one loss at Tynecastle in eighteen months. Us eight points behind and without a win there in five years.

Given the circumstances, we played extremely well and defended resolutely to deny them a point - we restricted them to only one shot at goal and competed well until the sending off. It was an absolutely abysmal game but do you know what? Fair enough. We can't win a derby playing "good football" unless we're considerably stronger than them (i.e. when Cathro was in charge) and too many times we have had a lightweight team that routinely got rolled over. Now we compete with them physically which is exactly what we need to do.

People seem to abandon logic and fail to consider the circumstances when we play them - I don't understand why we expect a 3-0 win (which hasn't happened since 1999) and then incessantly slate the team when we aren't dominating with ten men after 70 minutes. There will only be an away win or a large winning margin for either side when one has a good team and the other has a poor team. We are both good teams right now.

Draw and sneak the occasional win at Tynecastle and beat them regularly at Easter Road. We're doing that right now, let's keep it going.

BSEJVT
31-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Let's take the context here: Hearts at the top of the league and with one loss at Tynecastle in eighteen months. Us eight points behind and without a win there in five years.

Given the circumstances, we played extremely well and defended resolutely to deny them a point - we restricted them to only one shot at goal and competed well until the sending off. It was an absolutely abysmal game but do you know what? Fair enough. We can't win a derby playing "good football" unless we're considerably stronger than them (i.e. when Cathro was in charge) and too many times we have had a lightweight team that routinely got rolled over. Now we compete with them physically which is exactly what we need to do.

People seem to abandon logic and fail to consider the circumstances when we play them - I don't understand why we expect a 3-0 win (which hasn't happened since 1999) and then incessantly slate the team when we aren't dominating with ten men after 70 minutes. There will only be an away win or a large winning margin for either side when one has a good team and the other has a poor team. We are both good teams right now.

Draw and sneak the occasional win at Tynecastle and beat them regularly at Easter Road. We're doing that right now, let's keep it going.

Whilst I agree that in the end it was a good result, how you can say we played extremely well is absolutely beyond me.

I thought we were awful, we were terrible with the ball, Kamberi & Boyle never linked up once and most of the team looked like they had never seen a football in their lives.

We dug in, ground out a result and no-one could complain about the effort or commitment but there were so many poor football performances.

Bogdan, Whittaker, Stevenson, Boyle and Kamberi were all terrible in my opinion. Mallan, McGregor Bartley Ambrose & Milligan did well enough but the last 4 were very wasteful with the ball.

Slivka I am 50/50 about, he did well enough and competed well but did absolutely nothing positive to influence the game.

Other than Mallan's shots we created next to nothing offensively and even before Kamberi's sending off we saw nothing off the ball in the second half.

I get the various difficulties of playing there and that we wont play the expansive open football we do at ER but I thought we were very poor tonight offensively individually and collectively.

But again having said that I agree with your last statement "Draw and sneak the occasional win at Tynecastle and beat them regularly at Easter Road. We're doing that right now, let's keep it going"

Eyrie
31-10-2018, 09:30 PM
It's very difficult to play good football on such a small pitch, which is another reason why our performances at the Tiny PBS lack the footballing fluidity we show at home.

K.Marx
31-10-2018, 09:31 PM
The only thing that makes it a good result is that we played half an hour with 10 men. We were rank rotten against a hearts team with about 5 first choice picks out injured who were there for the taking.

SirDavidsNapper
31-10-2018, 09:31 PM
In the circumstances good result.

KDY Hibs
31-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Get all that but still feels like a chance missed......

Forza Fred
31-10-2018, 09:35 PM
It's very difficult to play good football on such a small pitch, which is another reason why our performances at the Tiny PBS lack the footballing fluidity we show at home.

Agree with this, and on the plus side, even when numerically inferior we matched Hearts in commitment....something that we have not always done before.

Neither relieved nor happy with the result, but neither am I unhappy, and accept that given we went down to ten men, taking a point home is ok, and even with eleven it is not something the majority of clubs who visit there are going to do this season.

At Easter Road I expect us to give them a good ripping though....

sean04
31-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Really don't understand why we change the way we play when going there. Long balls up to kamberi is playing into there hands. Surely horgan and boyle wide would cause them all sorts of problems. Milligan in sitting midfield retaining the ball and keeping possession

Hiber-nation
31-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Disappointing performance considering they had no strikers on the pitch. Happy with the point in the end obviously. I think Neil is a maybe a wee bit too obsessed with matching them physically at the piggery rather than passing them off the park.

EVENTUALLY
31-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Whilst I agree that in the end it was a good result, how you can say we played extremely well is absolutely beyond me.

I thought we were awful, we were terrible with the ball, Kamberi & Boyle never linked up once and most of the team looked like they had never seen a football in their lives.

We dug in, ground out a result and no-one could complain about the effort or commitment but there were so many poor football performances.

Bogdan, Whittaker, Stevenson, Boyle and Kamberi were all terrible in my opinion. Mallan, McGregor Bartley Ambrose & Milligan did well enough but the last 4 were very wasteful with the ball.

Slivka I am 50/50 about, he did well enough and competed well but did absolutely nothing positive to influence the game.

Other than Mallan's shots we created next to nothing offensively and even before Kamberi's sending off we saw nothing off the ball in the second half.

I get the various difficulties of playing there and that we wont play the expansive open football we do at ER but I thought we were very poor tonight offensively individually and collectively.

But again having said that I agree with your last statement "Draw and sneak the occasional win at Tynecastle and beat them regularly at Easter Road. We're doing that right now, let's keep it going"

Slivka has never ever had a decent game from the right side of the midfield. He plays very well whenever he operates in a central role. Hibs are a man short when he is out on the side of the pitch. Thought McGregor, Bartley and Ambrose were Hibs best men and its no coincidence that their physicality gave them an advantage to shine in this game. We were crying out for some composure and controlled passing. We should do whatever it takes to get Scott Allan back in January.

Bishop Hibee
31-10-2018, 09:44 PM
With 11 men, a disappointing result against a depleted Hertz team. With ten men, an acceptable point.

Tyler Durden
31-10-2018, 09:47 PM
Disappointing performance considering they had no strikers on the pitch. Happy with the point in the end obviously. I think Neil is a maybe a wee bit too obsessed with matching them physically at the piggery rather than passing them off the park.

This is the issue.

A draw and a clean sheet tonight is a good result. But if we had lost that late scrappy goal again, we'd be left kicking ourselves that we had again sacrificed any attempt at a passing game.

Hopefully Lennon has a change of heart later in the season, when there's less of a points gap

marleyhib
31-10-2018, 09:51 PM

We were awful, as were Hearts. We missed a big chance to beat them at home. Milligan and Bartley was too defensive but it’s easy to say as a fan. Heats are tough at home but boy if I watched that ***** at home every othe week I’d gouge my eyes out.

JohnM1875
31-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Get all that but still feels like a chance missed......

It's 100% a chance missed.

Never a sending off but I'm sick of this **** every time we go there. 'it's a tight pitch' 'they play over the midfield' 'it shuits their game' no ****! Of course it does. We know this prior to the season even kicking off!

But regardless we still struggle to play our own game and resort to long ball.

Tynecastle is just another football pitch. About time we treated it like that.

Heisenberg
31-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Mind last season when Lennon went very attacking with his team and we still ended up in a battle at Tynie which we lost 2-1. It’s very difficult to play actual football at that stadium. It’s a hoofball battle for 90 minutes.

Pagan Hibernia
31-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Horgan should’ve started tonight. Missed opportunity.

Theres almost a mental block now about going to tynecastle and that’s a huge problem. Neither players, fans or manager seem to think we’re capable of winning there.

thankfully hearts seem to have the same fear every time they visit Easter Road these days

Radium
31-10-2018, 10:05 PM
Away results between Hibs, Hearts, TRFC, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock will be important in deciding who finishes where.

We dropped points at home to Aberdeen but picked up one tonight.

Just need to focus on St Johnstone before trying to to take something at Pittodrie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dancehibs
31-10-2018, 10:12 PM

We were dreadful. Not ONE good passage of play. They had makeshift team.

Heckys Wheel
31-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Horgan should’ve started tonight. Missed opportunity.

Theres almost a mental block now about going to tynecastle and that’s a huge problem. Neither players, fans or manager seem to think we’re capable of winning there.

thankfully hearts seem to have the same fear every time they visit Easter Road these days

There’s no mental block.

Hearts are very hard to beat at home.

Levein, despite being an absolute weirdo, knows how to set up a team. He knows how to make the most of the small pitch and he’s recruited a squad of hammer throwers to carry out his instructions.

Jdawg
31-10-2018, 10:21 PM

Spurs did. It’s called quality.

This small pitch argument is total crap. Every time we go we **** it. I’m just in from the game. Same old *****.

calumhibee1
31-10-2018, 10:26 PM
Spurs did. It’s called quality.

This small pitch argument is total crap. Every time we go we **** it. I’m just in from the game. Same old *****.

Spurs did? That can’t be a serious comment? A Liverpool team with Luis Suarez only win 1-0 there.

Hearts sign a team to play on a pitch which area wise is so much smaller than most other pitches in our league. It gives them an absolutely MASSIVE advantage when playing there. Hence why they’re usually rotten away and brilliant at home. They literally sign players with the fact that no football can be played at the forefront of their mind.

Sir David Gray
31-10-2018, 10:30 PM
The game was awful, we had the upper hand for the majority of the first half and they were the better side in the second half. After the sending off, it was pretty much a non event in an attacking sense from us and became all about trying to protect our point.

It's frustrating that our record there is so poor, especially considering they had about 5 first team players out tonight.

JohnM1875
31-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Spurs did? That can’t be a serious comment? A Liverpool team with Luis Suarez only win 1-0 there.

Hearts sign a team to play on a pitch which area wise is so much smaller than most other pitches in our league. It gives them an absolutely MASSIVE advantage when playing there. Hence why they’re usually rotten away and brilliant at home. They literally sign players with the fact that no football can be played at the forefront of their mind.

It's a bollocks excuse!

It's not a surprise they play the way they're going to. Why get dragged into playing the same kinda game as them? Every. Single. Time. It's infuriating.

Don't need to go as far back as Spurs obviously. But Killie beat them there last season, as did the Huns.

Jim44
31-10-2018, 10:36 PM
Bottom line it’s a reasonable result. We won a point and they lost two points. No point in getting knickers in twists about the performance in a typical derby where everybody was running around like headless chickens. It’s behind us and we can find our composure and get back to playing football this weekend.

bingo70
31-10-2018, 10:40 PM
If we’d lost tonight we’d have gone 11 points behind them, as it stands there’s a great chance we’ll be 5 behind them with a game in hand come Saturday night.

It was essential we never lost tonight, considering we played the last half hour or whatever it was with 10 makes it an even better result.

vuefrom1875
31-10-2018, 10:43 PM

Tynecastle....4yards shorter in width.....tynecastle 5yards shorter in length to EASTER ROAD....I rest my case m'lord.

BILLYHIBS
31-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Defended well

H18 SFR
Tynecastle....4yards shorter in width.....tynecastle 5yards shorter in length to EASTER ROAD....I rest my case m'lord.

In terms of area that's an area the size of a full 18 yard box. Hardly a small difference.

Bobby's Cinema
just another poor performance below our potential at tynecastle for me, disappointed and fed up going there watching the same 90 minutes every time

Criswell
31-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Didn't play that well in an attacking sense. Star players were in defence. Happy with a point

Stuart93
31-10-2018, 11:02 PM
Negative, boring, hoofball ***** from us, everything a hibs team shouldn’t be. Sick of going there setting up like we’re happy with a draw especially tonight playing such a poor Hearts team

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Anybody who seriously doesn't think the dimensions of the pitch at Tynecastle gives Hearts a distinct advantage in big games is kidding themselves. Tonight it enabled them to compensate for being under strength by simply stifling the play and turning the game into a battle … the ball barely touched the pitch in the first half because every time they got it it was hoofed up the park … That might not work against better quality than Hibs, but we aren't so far ahead of other teams in that area that we can just get the ball down and play through the melee Hearts create in midfield.

Given our record at their place a draw is a decent result and in the context of the season it keeps us right in there … I would not expect us to put in a similar performance at Easter Road where our far larger pitch will enable us to exploit play with the width we always miss so badly at the Rust Arena.

truehibernian
31-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Would love to know who we had at Tynecastle for their game v Aberdeen because when McInnes went 4-3-3 second half and had McGinn and GMS out wide on both flanks they battered them - chance totally missed tonight and we set up way way too defensively. We played to their strengths before a ball was kicked.

Opportunity lost and poor poor set up from the start which undoubtedly would have given Levein a boost. Should have started with both Boyle and Horgan. Lennon and his backroom team need to really do more homework when it comes to games at Tynie for me.

southern hibby
01-11-2018, 01:49 AM
Set up to stop Hearts from creating chances and it worked a treat, problem was we created very little also. Game was there to be won and we didn’t set up to try and win.

GGTTH

givescotlandfreedom
01-11-2018, 02:08 AM
We should have mauled that lot.

Dashing Bob S
01-11-2018, 04:23 AM
It wasn't a good result. We're a stronger side and they were understrength. Disappointed only to draw there, even with 10 men for quarter of the game.

IGRIGI
01-11-2018, 04:44 AM
I'd have liked to have seen Kamberi and MaClaren up top together with Boyle on the wing, Kamberi and Boyle together didn't work last season at Tynie and it didn't work again last night.

allezsauzee
01-11-2018, 05:16 AM
The problem with everyone's theories about how alternative tactics would have changed the result is that people only think about the positive aspects that those changes make and ignore the negative. It's all very well going gung ho but at the PBS you need to take into account the size of the pitch, Hearts ability to compress play on that and also the height of the team. If we had started with Hyndman, Maclaren & Horgan, then it obviously gives a more potent threat up front but would make us vulnerable at set pieces . You really don't want to let them have an easy lead because we haven't defended a corner/ free kick properly because it allows them to sit in and pick us off. Disappointing that it is when we know we have more talented players, I think a pragmatic approach in matching up to their physicality at the PBS and then going for them at Easter Road is probably the sensible one and another demonstration of why Lennon is the best manager we've had for years.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
01-11-2018, 05:45 AM
In terms of area that's an area the size of a full 18 yard box. Hardly a small difference.

I think its around 450 sq meters smaller than Easter road - quite a difference.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
01-11-2018, 05:46 AM
Would love to know who we had at Tynecastle for their game v Aberdeen because when McInnes went 4-3-3 second half and had McGinn and GMS out wide on both flanks they battered them - chance totally missed tonight and we set up way way too defensively. We played to their strengths before a ball was kicked.

Opportunity lost and poor poor set up from the start which undoubtedly would have given Levein a boost. Should have started with both Boyle and Horgan. Lennon and his backroom team need to really do more homework when it comes to games at Tynie for me.

Yet Aberdeen got beat.. ? Strange example!

neil7908
01-11-2018, 05:56 AM
I'd have liked to have seen Kamberi and MaClaren up top together with Boyle on the wing, Kamberi and Boyle together didn't work last season at Tynie and it didn't work again last night.

This. We dropped an in form McLaren for the final derby last season and it was didn't work. Same as last night, Kamberi was horribly isolated and failed to combine with the Boyle, plus we had no attacking options out wide.

The pitch is a factor but we give them far too much respect. We set out for a draw tonight when they had no strikers on the pitch. Tonight was the time to be a bit bolder and get Boyle in at wingback and McLaren up top. I think Horgan would have been suited to thus kind of game as well.

neil7908
01-11-2018, 05:58 AM
I don't understand why they can get away with the smaller pitch. Surely it can't be hard to say a football pitch had to be x by x? What possible reason is there for allowing teams to reduce the size of the pitch, except to give them the an unfair advantage?

Squirrel 1875
01-11-2018, 06:08 AM
Well I thought we played well, particularly from a defensive point of view which we had to do. We wrongfully had a man sent off. We should have been one up at half time, at least (McGregor miss and Mallan cross bar). I think people on here have very short memories. We had to set up the way we did at Tynecastle to cope with the hoofball and we did. They created nothing all game, even when we had ten me.

People on here need to be able to see that. A weakened Hearts side should still beat ten men, they failed to come close. Well done hibs.

CLASS OF 72 -73
01-11-2018, 06:12 AM
:agree:

CLASS OF 72 -73
01-11-2018, 06:13 AM

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-fans-reaction-to-the-0-0-draw-with-hearts-1-4822821

flash
01-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Who does play well there? Nobody and I include Hertz in that. It's a unique fixture due to the ludicrous set up they have and you have to adjust accordingly. History shows a point there is not to be sniffed at as long as you tuck them away at home.

calumhibee1
01-11-2018, 06:39 AM
It's a bollocks excuse!

It's not a surprise they play the way they're going to. Why get dragged into playing the same kinda game as them? Every. Single. Time. It's infuriating.

Don't need to go as far back as Spurs obviously. But Killie beat them there last season, as did the Huns.

It’s not. Teams will beat them there occasionally but I guarantee when Killie beat them there that it wasn’t pretty. That pitch doesn’t allow us to play any other way. Imagine we moved the goals at one end at Easter Road 20 yards further forward. Don’t you think it would turn the game into a farce? Because that’s the kind of area we’re talking about here, Tynecastle is that much smaller. And they sign a team based on playing on a pitch like that, we don’t.

calumhibee1
01-11-2018, 06:39 AM
Who does play well there? Nobody and I include Hertz in that. It's a unique fixture due to the ludicrous set up they have and you have to adjust accordingly. History shows a point there is not to be sniffed at as long as you tuck them away at home.

J-C
01-11-2018, 06:40 AM
Pish result IMHO, they dragged us once again down to their level, they are a very average side without their 3-4 bigger players and it shows. We played a back 3 on a night when they had a makeshift striker, this made us 1 light in the midfield and lacking creativity, again Lennon has put out a team to nullify the opposition instead of sending out our strongest side and let them worry about us.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Pish game with 0 football played by either team.

Pagan Hibernia
01-11-2018, 09:03 AM

The tornadoes did alright :wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2018, 09:17 AM

When have we done that recently?

Last nights game followed the normal pattern of 99% of the games at that place, which is a battle from first . minute to last.

You need to earn the right to play any football there, and neither team managed that. Of course we could have played Horgan and Hyndman in place of Bartley and Slivka and played them off the park, we will never know.

I'm pleased we didnt, as i have seen that picture too many times before to know the usual ending. I say Lennon got it right, and we really had a night where they didnt really threaten apart from one decent shot from outside the box, and the one that hit the outside of the post late on.

We on the other hand hit the bar twice and Daz should have done a lot better with that header in the first half, and we played 25 minutes with 10 men, not once did i think we were not comfortable and in charge.

Not our best performance by a long way, but considering the circumstances, a point was not a bad result.

Dancehibs
01-11-2018, 09:42 AM
When have we done that recently?

Last nights game followed the normal pattern of 99% of the games at that place, which is a battle from first . minute to last.

You need to earn the right to play any football there, and neither team managed that. Of course we could have played Horgan and Hyndman in place of Bartley and Slivka and played them off the park, we will never know.

I'm pleased we didnt, as i have seen that picture too many times before to know the usual ending. I say Lennon got it right, and we really had a night where they didnt really threaten apart from one decent shot from outside the box, and the one that hit the outside of the post late on.

We on the other hand hit the bar twice and Daz should have done a lot better with that header in the first half, and we played 25 minutes with 10 men, not once did i think we were not comfortable and in charge.

Not our best performance by a long way, but considering the circumstances, a point was not a bad result.
Agree , you have to win the battle to win the war. Out physical players did a job. But for me out forward thinking players were poor. Big Marv does a job but he was the spare man but doesnt join in to take ball of defenders and link the play.

Diclonius
01-11-2018, 09:44 AM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-fans-reaction-to-the-0-0-draw-with-hearts-1-4822821

Wow, they quoted the whole thing! I'm honoured.

tonyrougier123
01-11-2018, 09:54 AM
The dissapointing thing is if it was a game of football we win that.our starting lineup was wrong imo,too negative for me,and it descended in to chaos on the field.I wouldve liked horgan on at halftime with boyle and him droppin behind kamberi.bringing on shaw didnt work either.questionable tactics for me.

Phil MaGlass
01-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Im disappointed that we didnt go and try to play fitba, we just tried to play them at their own game, muscle and kick. I think, and its only my opinion, Lennon got it wrong,yet again with the set up. We have players man for man better than what their makeshift team had, ffs. Disappointed.

where'stheslope
01-11-2018, 11:31 AM
I think what your saying, is if there is an extra 2 yards on each wing there is more room to play, that's the width of a house hallway, its hardly the wide outdoors.
If you think it makes that much difference, it becomes the same arguement for plastic pitches, the team that plays on it all the time has a slight advantage, but good play normally prevails eventually.
We just need to adapted our play on whatever pitch we play on!!

JeMeSouviens
01-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Wow, they quoted the whole thing! I'm honoured.

**** that - you should be asking for a fee! Free copy for freeloaders. :rolleyes:

heretoday
01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
It could have gone tits up with the goal at the end if the linesman hadn't been on the ball. Great judgement in the circumstances. Only one defender between striker and goal.