PDA

View Full Version : League Cup Final Ticket Split

Carheenlea
30-10-2018, 09:44 PM
I see the ticketing arrangements for the League Cup Final has been finalised, and Aberdeen will get 20,000 with Celtic getting 25,000. Probably enough for Aberdeen, but no doubt there will be a lot of noise from Aberdeen fans complaining about not getting an even split.

DH1875
30-10-2018, 09:46 PM
I see the ticketing arrangements for the League Cup Final has been finalised, and Aberdeen will get 20,000 with Celtic getting 25,000. Probably enough for Aberdeen, but no doubt there will be a lot of noise from Aberdeen fans complaining about not getting an even split.

Doubt they'll even sell the 20k to be honest.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Doubt they'll even sell the 20k to be honest.

Aberdeen have seemingly under written the 20,000
Always think a final should be 50/50, providing both teams think they can sell their allocation

danhibees1875
30-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Always think a final should be 50/50, providing both teams think they can sell their allocation

Agreed, but think there should be some provision in place so that the team less likely to sell their 50% sell their tickets in a way that allows unsold sections to go to the other team.

green&left
30-10-2018, 09:59 PM

They managed 17000 at the 2016 LC final and only 20000 at the 2017 SC. They'll struggle to sell out.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2018, 09:59 PM
Agreed, but think there should be some provision in place so that the team less likely to sell their 50% sell their tickets in a way that allows unsold sections to go to the other team.

Can’t disagree with this

green&left
30-10-2018, 10:00 PM

Underwritten 16400 but can get up to 20000 if required.

GibbytheHibby2
30-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Absolutely. A cup final is supposed to be a neutral venue and the split should be neutral too if the club can sell their share. Starting off without an equal share gives an advantage to one side. If one team can't sell their share, then tough - they lose out and the other team should get the chance to buy it up.

Hibby70
31-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Can they not give one team the South and one team the North? That would make it easier to then sell into the West/East in stages.

jgl07
31-10-2018, 12:14 AM
Can they not give one team the South and one team the North? That would make it easier to then sell into the West/East in stages.
That would involve splitting up the 'Rangers End' or the 'Celtic End'.

Never get away with that!

monktonharp
31-10-2018, 01:12 AM
but did the dons not actually struggle to sell, for the semi? I do think a Final is a special occasion for any club, but the dons got something like 33k for a final a few years back . they can hardly complain if they struggle for a semi with a paltry amount recently and then demand parity.

Tornadoes70
31-10-2018, 01:46 AM
I think a cup final should very normally be a 50/50 split. Its supposed to be neutral and not up to the SPFL in this case to cater more for the club with the larger league aggregate attendances. In saying that there should be a process in place that allows for unsold tickets to later become allocated to the other club once its become clear they won't be taken up. It's not rocket science and I think they could easily put in place a process that is agreeable for both clubs that make it to the high demand finals of competitions.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Frazerbob
31-10-2018, 07:48 AM
They took 40k when the played ICT but only 17k when the played Celtic 2 years later. That tells you all you need to know about the ‘Red Army’.

marinello59
31-10-2018, 08:01 AM
They took 40k when the played ICT but only 17k when the played Celtic 2 years later. That tells you all you need to know about the ‘Red Army’.

Aye. When it comes to backing their team against the odds they bottle it.

SirDavidsNapper
31-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Can't stand this topic. Should be 50/50 until it's clear one team won't sell out and the other will. We only sold around 10k tickets for last years semi but we'd have ended up with a 70/30 split against Motherwell in the final had we got there.

Dancehibs
31-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Can't stand this topic. Should be 50/50 until it's clear one team won't sell out and the other will. We only sold around 10k tickets for last years semi but we'd have ended up with a 70/30 split against Motherwell in the final had we got there.
Aberdeen’s made the decision they can’t sell anymore than 20k. After making a shop front of themselves over the semi, fair play to them. I’d be suprised if they sell 20k

Frazerbob
31-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Aberdeen’s made the decision they can’t sell anymore than 20k. After making a shop front of themselves over the semi, fair play to them. I’d be suprised if they sell 20k

And, surprisingly, the Sheep don’t seem to be up in arms about it, with most backing the club’s stance. We would sell half so different story if it was us.

Spike Mandela
31-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Why is it so difficult. A final at a neutral venue should always start from the basis of a 50/50 split. If sold in a sensible way with a sensible time limit any unsold should be made available for bigger support groups.

Keith_M
31-10-2018, 11:42 AM
If a club can sell 50% of the tickets for a final, they should be given 50%. If they can't, then they should do what Aberdeen and Celtc have done and get together and sort out an arrangement that suits.

TBF, we insisted on a 50% split for a semi-final last season, despite never taking anything like that to anything other than Finals, then only sold about 12k tickets.

Frazerbob
31-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Why is it so difficult. A final at a neutral venue should always start from the basis of a 50/50 split. If sold in a sensible way with a sensible time limit any unsold should be made available for bigger support groups.

It’s not. Aberdeen know they won’t sell 50% and have sensibly accepted 20k.....which they will struggle to sell.

SirDavidsNapper
31-10-2018, 12:46 PM
For a club that harp on about being the 3rd biggest in Scotland their support is pathetic. Hibs and Hearts would have easily sold 50% of Hampden for a final. Hibs did it as a Championship team that failed to win promotion. In fact did we not take 30k to the LC final that same season?

Keith_M
31-10-2018, 12:55 PM
For a club that harp on about being the 3rd biggest in Scotland their support is pathetic. Hibs and Hearts would have easily sold 50% of Hampden for a final. Hibs did it as a Championship team that failed to win promotion. In fact did we not take 30k to the LC final that same season?

It seems like the numbers taken is often dependant on the opposition, with clubs taking lower numbers when it's Celtc or The Rangers.

I presume because of the perception that there might be trouble, or the environment isn't suitable for taking young kids. Whatever the reason, it does seem to affect the attendance, e.g. Aberdeen taking 40k for a final against ICT but struggling to get 20k against Celtc.

JeMeSouviens
31-10-2018, 12:56 PM
It seems like the numbers taken is often dependant on the opposition, with clubs taking lower numbers when it's Celtc or The Rangers.

I presume because of the perception that there might be trouble, or the environment isn't suitable for taking young kids. Whatever the reason, it does seem to affect the attendance, e.g. Aberdeen taking 40k for a final against ICT but struggling to get 20k against Celtc.

Most obvious reason is they think they'll get beat.

heretoday
31-10-2018, 01:15 PM

They will get beat.

Frazerbob
31-10-2018, 01:40 PM

That and only that is the reason. We are the same. We take more to semis against teams other than Celtic (and formally Rangers). We couldn’t sell out a semi against Hearts.

WHAM
31-10-2018, 01:46 PM
To be fair, a 50/50 split at hampden once you factor in the corporate/sponsorship seats (which total about 7,000) is only approx 22,500 tickets. I’m pretty sure that has been our official allocation in the finals against the Old Firm and Hearts.

It annoys me that the argument is made everytime the old firm are involved in a final that they should get more than 50% of the tickets available. It just reeks of their sense of entitlement just because they have the biggest fan base. It’s meant to be a final at a neutral venue.

I don’t ever read about Man Utd fans moaning about a 50:50 split at Wembley just because they have by far the biggest fan base and home attendances in England.

Everyone in Scotland knows that Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen are unlikely to take 20,000 to a semi final but would normally be able to easily shift 22,500 tickets in a final...probably closer to 30,000 depending on the opposition.

At the 2004 league cup semi final against Rangers we only
took through about 8000 (less than Aberdeen last weekend but what a racket we made!) then sold 38000 for the final.

So I’m actually really surprised that Aberdeen have agreed to take a lower allocation and don’t think they can sell an extra 2,500 to make it a 50:50 split.

Keith_M
31-10-2018, 05:17 PM

I'd imagine that plays a large parts as well, yeah.