PDA

View Full Version : Our Highest Transfer Fee?

Juniper Greens
30-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Had an interesting discussion about the state of Scottish football yesterday, which led to chat about highest Transfer Values paid. For Hibs, I had always been of the opinion it was UDLC for about £700k, however, does SJM change that?

Upfront fee when we signed him (rumoured to be c£150k)
Sell on fee (rumoured to be around a 1/3rd of the reported c£3m received)
Future sell on/performance related incentive (again, rumoured to be in place and St Mirren would be due 1/3rd of any of this)

So at the moment, we may well be on a tab of £1.15m, with more to come.

When was the last time a Scottish team, outwith the OF paid more than £1m for a player? Perhaps Andrew Robertson from Queens Park to Dundee Utd (following a similar logic to the above)?

Are we now moving into a phase, for the first time in a long time, when we are in an entirely different market to clubs outwith the top 5 in Scotland?

Peevemor
30-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Had an interesting discussion about the state of Scottish football yesterday, which led to chat about highest Transfer Values paid. For Hibs, I had always been of the opinion it was UDLC for about £700k, however, does SJM change that?

Future sell on/performance related incentive (again, rumoured to be in place and St Mirren would be due 1/3rd of any of this)

When was the last time a Scottish team, outwith the OF paid more than £1m for a player? Perhaps Andrew Robertson from Queens Park to Dundee Utd (following a similar logic to the above)?

Are we now moving into a phase, for the first time in a long time, when we are in an entirely different market to clubs outwith the top 5 in Scotland?

I think it's pushing it a bit to include sell-ons in the transfer fee as it's not really our money.

IIRC the £700k for UDLC was the entire deal (transfer fee + contract/wages).

For me the highest fees we've paid are those in the region of £4-500k for the likes of Keith Wright & Pat McGinlay.

hibsbollah
30-10-2018, 09:08 AM
It was Ulises de La Cruz at £700,000. The Setanta dividend. Although i've heard lots of mutterings on here that it 'wasnt really that much'. How they know this I dont know, unless a source can be provided:greengrin

Im not sure what you mean with your last sentence, what sort of phase? With the coming to the end of the current TV deal and likes of Eleven Sports in the market now, theres a lot of optimism that the next deal will be a lot more lucrative than the last one, (although paying £7k wages will probably still be a thing of the Setanta-era past). Doncasters (non)involvement is crucial.

Which Hibs player has attracted the most transfer fee over the course of his career is an interesting one, im guessing Stephen Fletcher?

GreenArmyyy!
30-10-2018, 09:10 AM
From what I’ve been told over the years the ULDC transfer fee was not as high as is widely reported.

If I’m right in thinking, bringing Riordan and Stokes back from Celtic cost the best part of half a million each which I reckon would be near our top end.

bingo70
30-10-2018, 09:11 AM
If any thread is going to bring Andy74 back to .net it’s this one.

Juniper Greens
30-10-2018, 09:13 AM
I think it's pushing it a bit to include sell-ons in the transfer fee as it's not really our money.

For me the highest fees we've paid are those in the region of £4-500k for the likes of Keith Wright & Pat McGinlay.

I think it's fair to include sell ons, as it is money that if the sell on didn't exist, would be going to us. Look at the alternative, if we had signed SJM for £1.15m, we would be in the same position as we are now (allegedly)?

GreenArmyyy!
30-10-2018, 09:14 AM
It was Ulises de La Cruz at £700,000. The Setanta dividend. Although i've heard lots of mutterings on here that it 'wasnt really that much'. How they know this I dont know, unless a source can be provided:greengrin

Which Hibs player has attracted the most transfer fee over the course of his career is an interesting one, im guessing Stephen Fletcher?

Easily Fletcher I reckon. What I would say is it’s a huge testament to the attitude of Steven Fletcher who in my opinion for one of the less naturally talented members of the golden generation but what he lacked in natural ability he more than made up up for in professionalism and commitment to his career. Fair play to him!

calumhibee1
30-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Im not sure what you mean with your last sentence, what sort of phase? With the coming to the end of the current TV deal and likes of Eleven Sports in the market now, theres a lot of optimism that the next deal will be a lot more lucrative than the last one, (although paying £7k wages will probably still be a thing of the Setanta-era past). Doncasters (non)involvement is crucial.

Has to be Fletcher surely. He’ll probably be £15m+ In total? Crazy money for someone like him when we’ve had much better players come through here.

hibsbollah
30-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Has to be Fletcher surely. He’ll probably be £15m+ In total? Crazy money for someone like him when we’ve had much better players come through here.

The point is, Fletcher worked like a dog. Went from being completely one footed to being almost ambidextrous in a season, and learnt to be one of the best headers of the ball as well. One of my favourite Hibs players.

Ryan69
30-10-2018, 09:20 AM

Thats clutching straws....as it wasnt highest PAID.

Highest was De La Cruz.

Big_Franck
30-10-2018, 09:21 AM

I make it £21m. He went from us to Burnley for £3m, then on to Wolves a year later for £6m. Sunderland then paid £12m for him in 2012. He left Sunderland on a free to go to Sheff Wed.

My_Wife_Camille
30-10-2018, 09:23 AM
If any thread is going to bring Andy74 back to .net it’s this one.
Nipped in ahead of me you ******* :cb

Peevemor
30-10-2018, 09:25 AM
I think it's fair to include sell ons, as it is money that if the sell on didn't exist, would be going to us. Look at the alternative, if we had signed SJM for £1.15m, we would be in the same position as we are now (allegedly)?

But we didn't. We could probably have got him for a lot less that £1m (£3-500k?) without a sell-on clause but for whatever reason (and there will be a few) we didn't take that risk. For me this shows that at the moment, and like most others in Scotland, we're not a club who splashes on transfer fees.

Juniper Greens
30-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Thats clutching straws....as it wasnt highest PAID.

Highest was De La Cruz.

But we have paid that? Just at a later date.

calumhibee1
30-10-2018, 09:35 AM
The point is, Fletcher worked like a dog. Went from being completely one footed to being almost ambidextrous in a season, and learnt to be one of the best headers of the ball as well. One of my favourite Hibs players.

Is Fletcher not still really one footed? :confused: he is great in the air though.

hibsbollah
30-10-2018, 09:45 AM
Is Fletcher not still really one footed? :confused: he is great in the air though.

Ive just had a look at youtube for his time at Sunderland to prove my point, and all his goals are with his left or head so you're probably right :faf:

I did remember loads of folk were giving it 'glad hes gone, too one footed, etc etc, and then i remember him on MOTD scoring two with his right for Wolves and a header the following week. Maybe the exception.

calumhibee1
30-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Ive just had a look at youtube for his time at Sunderland to prove my point, and all his goals are with his left or head so you're probably right :faf:

I did remember loads of folk were giving it 'glad hes gone, too one footed, etc etc, and then i remember him on MOTD scoring two with his right for Wolves and a header the following week. Maybe the exception.

I thought so, I was sure I remembered watching him for Scotland and thinking that side of his game hadn’t improved :greengrin Fletch is a decent player but I can’t believe some of the fees he’s gone for since leaving us.

hibbysam
30-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Easily Fletcher I reckon. What I would say is it’s a huge testament to the attitude of Steven Fletcher who in my opinion for one of the less naturally talented members of the golden generation but what he lacked in natural ability he more than made up up for in professionalism and commitment to his career. Fair play to him!

Having watched Fletch from his time in our youth sides, he was probably one of the most talented and naturally gifted players I’ve watched. Yes, he may not have the best of right foots, but how many players do? He could run the channels, take the ball in, win flick ons, had skill in abundance, pace, presence, and his left peg more than made up for his lack of a right one. He, obviously, had to work at his game, and that dedication paid off with his moves, and the fact he done so well down south is a testament to him.

PatHead
30-10-2018, 10:06 AM
Having watched Fletch from his time in our youth sides, he was probably one of the most talented and naturally gifted players I’ve watched. Yes, he may not have the best of right foots, but how many players do? He could run the channels, take the ball in, win flick ons, had skill in abundance, pace, presence, and his left peg more than made up for his lack of a right one. He, obviously, had to work at his game, and that dedication paid off with his moves, and the fact he done so well down south is a testament to him.
Eddie Turnbull described him as the best young player to come through Hibs. Said after his first touch in his first game he could tell he was a player.

ballengeich
30-10-2018, 10:14 AM

That was the story I heard about UDLC so I agree with you.

Ryan69
30-10-2018, 12:07 PM
But we have paid that? Just at a later date.

Should we put Marciano followed by a question mark??

With a 50% sell on clause,and a good run of form. :)

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2018, 12:26 PM
From what I’ve been told over the years the ULDC transfer fee was not as high as is widely reported.

If I’m right in thinking, bringing Riordan and Stokes back from Celtic cost the best part of half a million each which I reckon would be near our top end.

Heard he was owned by scouting consortium and we just paid his wages.

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Most players are 1 footed, it's just that there are less left footed players and they stand out more.

Hillsidehibby
30-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Did Celtic pay £1M for John Collins?

stoneyburn hibs
30-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Would St Mirren be entitled to a further cut of any future SJM transfers ? I would have thought that they wouldn't get anything after the Villa move.

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2018, 12:45 PM

Agree

Juniper Greens
30-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Would St Mirren be entitled to a further cut of any future SJM transfers ? I would have thought that they wouldn't get anything after the Villa move.

If we ever get any more money. Then they get more money. It keeps going until someone sells him outright.
Eg, if villa sold him for £10m with no add ons, we would get £2m (say) and then be due St Mirren £600k of that and then that would be it.
If villa sell him with a sell on clause, which would get them more, we would be due 20% (say) of that, with us due st mirren 30% of that.

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2018, 01:53 PM

Depends on how the clause works, could be many different things in the deal. No one on here knows.

KWJ
30-10-2018, 01:59 PM

This but without having watched him in the youths. Fletcher seemed to me more like a continental style forward who had considerably better technique than Brown or O'Connor. Maybe not quite as much as Riordan in terms of striking a ball but his all round play was outrageous for a player of his age. It's disappointing he's now playing in the Championship IMO, probably injuries that have taken their toll.

AgentDaleCooper
30-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Sell ons are essentially the same as milestone-based fees etc - they are projecting the worth of a player, and promising to pay that instead of an upfront fee. There's a bit of a gamble involved in case the players turns crap or runs down their contract, but no more so than if someone fails to reach milestones. We've essentially said to st mirren 'we think this guy is currently worth to you £Xk, plus X% of future revenue he produces for us. So, whatever future revenue we pay to them, that is part of our valuation, i.e. part of the transfer fee we paid.

Mibbes Aye
30-10-2018, 05:36 PM

When Riordan came back from Celltc on deadline day, Sky had someone at Parkhead and when they first reported it they had a price. It was something like £150K or thereabouts, can't remember precisely but it was less than what they ended up giving us when he left. Prior to deadline day Celtc were talking about £250K or thereabouts.

Sky dropped the figure from their reports after that. I think RP held back on paying more than we got for DR on principle and I think Celtc got Sky not to report the final sum to save face.