PDA

View Full Version : Stand names

PatHead
30-10-2018, 06:21 AM
We currently have the Famous Five stand. I would like to see areas of the ground named after other Hibs legends. I was thinking of the West being called The Tom Farmer Stand, the East renamed the Pat Stanton Stand or the gate into the round the back of the East being the TurnbullTornadoes gate leading into The Pat Stanton Way.
The training centre could be named after the Cup winning team. The Persevere Training Centre?
I would also like to see the badges on the main stand light up.
Any other thoughts anyone?

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 06:59 AM
We currently have the Famous Five stand. I would like to see areas of the ground named after other Hibs legends. I was thinking of the West being called The Tom Farmer Stand, the East renamed the Pat Stanton Stand or the gate into the round the back of the East being the TurnbullTornadoes gate leading into The Pat Stanton Way.
The training centre could be named after the Cup winning team. The Persevere Training Centre?

Happy with anything honouring STF ,Eddie Turnbull ,Pat Stanton and Alan Gordon ??

Gates at the West could be the SDG gates south or north I would also like to see a statue of Alan Stubbs outside the West hands aloft with that puzzled look on his face that says “ I dreamt it was going to be 3-1 “

We should also commemorate that great innovator and Manager Hugh Shaw.

SirDavidsNapper
30-10-2018, 07:01 AM

Agree about the west stand being renamed the STF stand. One of, if not the most important person in the clubs history. Would gladly see it renamed to that.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 07:19 AM
Agree about the west stand being renamed the STF stand. One of, if not the most important person in the clubs history. Would gladly see it renamed to that.
:thumbsup:

GoalsMcGinley
30-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Rename ER to The Sir Alan Stubbs Arena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
30-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Rename ER to The Sir Alan Stubbs Arena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also name the hat stand at reception the Warburton hat stand. Clearly left it behind that day.

heretoday
30-10-2018, 08:16 AM
The Sir Alex Miller Concourse Bar.
Skol the only refreshment on offer.

GreenArmyyy!
30-10-2018, 08:17 AM
I’d like to see us rename the South stand the Sir David Gray stand to really noise up the zombies and Jambos when they visit.

DarlingtonHibee
30-10-2018, 08:19 AM
West or East got to be the sir Tom farmer stand

SirDavidsNapper
30-10-2018, 08:19 AM
The Sir Alex Miller Concourse Bar.
Skol the only refreshment on offer.

With all the glasses filled half empty

hibeeron
30-10-2018, 08:22 AM
Joe Baker must be on shortlist for any naming opportunity

Diclonius
30-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Top of the list would surely be Tom Farmer, Pat Stanton (?) and Alan Stubbs (when he retires).

Elephant Stone
30-10-2018, 08:31 AM
100% behind naming a stand after Tom Farmer. Thought it was a brilliant touch when Man Utd named that stand after Ferguson and unveiled it to him when he was on the pitch, much better doing that then waiting til someone passes away and then they can't actually see it.

Greenbeard
30-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Famous Five, Tornadoes and STF without doubt.

But there is only so far you can go in naming stands, gates, routes before you start to devalue the practice. Keep it special and for teams or individuals who absolutely stand-out as never to be forgotten heroes of the club.

So where does the 2016 team, SDG and Stubbs fit into this? Controversial maybe, but wonderful as they are, I'm not convinced they are as deserving of the same recognition as the FF and TT teams and STF. Don't get me wrong, what they did in getting the monkey off our back was fantastic, esp while still a championship side, and I can understand the current young generation elevating the whole team to being the ultimate heroes. But what happens if you name places after them then we go and win the cup this year, next year - or win the league?

The harsh reality is that the significance of what that team achieved in winning the cup after such a long gap was a direct result of the failure of previous teams. Recognise the team yes - hall of fame etc - I just don't think they are as worthy as the aforementioned for stand naming etc.

And before the accusations start flying in, no I am not an effin Jambo.

hibbysam
30-10-2018, 08:49 AM

But there is only so far you can go in naming stands, gates, routes before you start to devalue the practice. Keep it special and for teams or individuals who absolutely stand-out as never to be forgotten heroes of the club.

So where does the 2016 team, SDG and Stubbs fit into this? Controversial maybe, but wonderful as they are, I'm not convinced they are as deserving of the same recognition as the FF and TT teams and STF. Don't get me wrong, what they did in getting the monkey off our back was fantastic, esp while still a championship side, and I can understand the current young generation elevating the whole team to being the ultimate heroes. But what happens if you name places after them then we go and win the cup this year, next year - or win the league?

The harsh reality is that the significance of what that team achieved in winning the cup after such a long gap was a direct result of the failure of previous teams. Recognise the team yes - hall of fame etc - I just don't think they are as worthy as the aforementioned for stand naming etc.

That cup win wasn’t just any old cup win, however. If it happened this year or next year the impact won’t nearly be as big. That cup win lifted a club from its knees. A support which had dwindled to 7/8k, resigned to another year in the lower tier after losing another cup final. This club would’ve struggled massively to lift ourselves out of the championship had it not been for that day in May and could’ve seen us in the doldrums for years. Now look at us, flying at the right end of Scottish football with a bright and exciting future, they didn’t just end a hoodoo, they revitalised a whole club that was on its death bed. They absolutely deserve the highest accolades and recognition alongside our great sides.

BSEJVT
30-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Mmmn interesting point

But let down I think by offering consideration to TT team and not Scottish Cup winning team

The TT team was my team as a boy growing up into football and a team that probably cemented my love of Hibs.

But despite the highs they were a relatively short lived phenomenon and I would have had greater sympathy for you view had you omitted them also.

Anyone who ever watched the Tornadoes will never have seen anything remotely comparable since but they didn't have the success or global reach of the Famous Five team whom I am happy are honoured in the way they are.

Juniper Greens
30-10-2018, 08:57 AM
I'd rename the East the STF stand, then stop there.

Reason for it being the East, the West is already the "Main Stand" complete with Crests and "Hibernian Football Club" on the rear.

The East could get STF painted onto the sides, visible from Arthur's Seat and those walking along Albion Place.

If every stand has a name, it get's a bit lost. That's what a hall of fame is for?

PatHead
30-10-2018, 08:58 AM
So The Sir Tom Farmer Stand it is!

Peevemor
30-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Reason for it being the East, the West is already the "Main Stand" complete with Crests and "Hibernian Football Club" on the rear.

The East could get STF painted onto the sides, visible from Arthur's Seat and those walking along Albion Place.

If every stand has a name, it get's a bit lost. That's what a hall of fame is for?

For me it has to be the West.

The East is only used on match days for bums on seats whereas the West has the various suites, meeting rooms, etc., therefore the name "The Sir Tom Farmer Stand" would be used a lot more in terms of the community & commercial activities linked to the club.

Jones28
30-10-2018, 09:15 AM
For me it has to be the West.

The East is only used on match days for bums on seats whereas the West has the various suites, meeting rooms, etc., therefore the name "The Sir Tom Farmer Stand" would be used a lot more in terms of the community & commercial linked to the club.

Agree with this. I've been after naming the west after him for as long as I can remember.

Smartie
30-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Agree with this. I've been after naming the west after him for as long as I can remember.

I've always preferred the idea of calling it the Farmer stand, acknowledging not just Sir Tom but also the contribution earlier family members made to our club.

There surely got to be room for a Standy McStandface in there too.

SirDavidsNapper
30-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Don't think anyone would disagree with the west being renamed the Sir Tom Farmer stand. Should have been done on completion of the stadium imo.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 09:41 AM
STF goes well with FF imo.

CropleyWasGod
30-10-2018, 09:44 AM
STF goes well with FF imo.FS goes better IMO.

And then the East can be renamed the FFS Hibs stand.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hibernian32
30-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Rename the west STF, the south the Albert Kidd stand & always keep the East the East

Hibs4185
30-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Rename the west STF, the south the Albert Kidd stand & always keep the East the East

The east is east stand?

Northernhibee
30-10-2018, 09:52 AM
That cup win wasn’t just any old cup win, however. If it happened this year or next year the impact won’t nearly be as big. That cup win lifted a club from its knees. A support which had dwindled to 7/8k, resigned to another year in the lower tier after losing another cup final. This club would’ve struggled massively to lift ourselves out of the championship had it not been for that day in May and could’ve seen us in the doldrums for years. Now look at us, flying at the right end of Scottish football with a bright and exciting future, they didn’t just end a hoodoo, they revitalised a whole club that was on its death bed. They absolutely deserve the highest accolades and recognition alongside our great sides.

It was a story of battling, determination and not knowing when you’re beaten. I want every single player of ours who walks through the tunnel to know about that story and what those values will get you.

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Naming the west the STF stand is a no brainer, it should have been done years ago … If you ask me the only thing which has prevented it happening is STF himself, I would guess he is the sort of guy who is uncomfortable with accolades of this type, UK and Papal knighthoods notwithstanding :greengrin

However, it would be nice if he took a step back and recognised that there isn't a Hibs fan out there who wouldn't like to see the stand named after him. its as close as we can get to a public acknowledgment by the club and those who support it of the fact that without him there's a very good chance there would be no Hibs …. at least not as we currently know it.

As for the east and south …. This isn't going to be very popular, but for my part I am not that sure there is that great a case for renaming them after individual players, with the possible exception of Pat Stanton whose meaning to the club has risen above his exploits on the pitch. You could call one the David Gray stand, but where does that leave Anthony Stokes who ( for all his faults ) scored twice in that final, not to mention twice in the quarter final.

Like it or not what really counts is what success did a team or player bring to the club and for all their undoubted qualities as teams or players what in actual fact did the likes of the Tornadoes or Joe Baker bring to the club in the form of tangible on field success? For all their cavalier buccaneering style the Tornadoes managed one League Cup and served up an utter capitulation to Celtic in the only SC final any of them managed to reach and the last time I looked for all his undoubted individual brilliance the sum total of Joe Baker's medal haul at Easter Road was zero.

Where in all this does Harry Swan stand? …. There is no doubt whatsoever that his brilliance as a chairman was pivotal to our 50's glory days, with his idea of paying massive bonuses and vision regarding European football leading to the greatest period in this club's history. Folk go on about the Hibs way of playing and the clubs culture of playing good football which was encapsulated by the Famous Five, the Tornadoes and latterly for an all too brief period Mowbray's team, but without Harry Swan its doubtful Hibs approach to the game, or at least the perception of it, would be seen in the positive light it has been since the 50s.

He did all that and yet it seems that to some folk the sum total of his legacy is the loss of a harp from above the stadium's front door !!! ….. If anybody in the 140 odd year history of this club deserves a stand named after them its Harry Swan.

The Sir Tom Farmer stand ……… long overdue, bring it on :aok:

Greenbeard
30-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Naming the west the STF stand is a no brainer, it should have been done years ago … If you ask me the only thing which has prevented it happening is STF himself, I would guess he is the sort of guy who is uncomfortable with accolades of this type, UK and Papal knighthoods notwithstanding :greengrin

However, it would be nice if he took a step back and recognised that there isn't a Hibs fan out there who wouldn't like to see the stand named after him. its as close as we can get to a public acknowledgment by the club and those who support it of the fact that without him there's a very good chance there would be no Hibs …. at least not as we currently know it.

As for the east and south …. This isn't going to be very popular, but for my part I am not that sure there is that great a case for renaming them after individual players, with the possible exception of Pat Stanton whose meaning to the club has risen above his exploits on the pitch. You could call one the David Gray stand, but where does that leave Anthony Stokes who ( for all his faults ) scored twice in that final, not to mention twice in the quarter final.

Like it or not what really counts is what success did a team or player bring to the club and for all their undoubted qualities as teams or players what in actual fact did the likes of the Tornadoes or Joe Baker bring to the club in the form of tangible on field success? For all their cavalier buccaneering style the Tornadoes managed one League Cup and served up an utter capitulation to Celtic in the only SC final any of them managed to reach and the last time I looked for all his undoubted individual brilliance the sum total of Joe Baker's medal haul at Easter Road was zero.

Where in all this does Harry Swan stand? …. There is no doubt whatsoever that his brilliance as a chairman was pivotal to our 50's glory days, with his idea of paying massive bonuses and vision regarding European football leading to the greatest period in this club's history. Folk go on about the Hibs way of playing and the clubs culture of playing good football which was encapsulated by the Famous Five, the Tornadoes and latterly for an all too brief period Mowbray's team, but without Harry Swan its doubtful Hibs approach to the game, or at least the perception of it, would be seen in the positive light it has been since the 50s.

He did all that and yet it seems that to some folk the sum total of his legacy is the loss of a harp from above the stadium's front door !!! ….. If anybody in the 140 odd year history of this club deserves a stand named after them its Harry Swan.

Sensible words, esp from a pailmerk. :wink:
So who comes first in your book? Tom or Harry? (No jokes please about where's Dick?)
Do you not think there is already some recognition for Harry and all he did for the club in the naming of the Famous Five stand? To me that recognition is not just about the five individuals; it is about everyone involved with the club in that era.

tamsonsbairn
30-10-2018, 01:08 PM
I see the Hibs Club has decided to rename the refurbished lounge after our last manager to win the scottish cup, the whelahan Lounge. :nlgwa :aok:

makaveli1875
30-10-2018, 01:13 PM

:thumbsup: make it happen hibs

30-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Would have no problem with a stand being named after Sir Tom Farmer. A man that came to our rescue in our darkest hour and has since given generously to this club. The man has given to the club far more than people realise.

The club and the fans should be eternally grateful to him for what he's done for us. :not worth

Dashing Bob S
30-10-2018, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't like to see it named the Tom Farmer stand. Don't like stands called after directors/owners who haven't made a contribution on the pitch. Mind you, if they renamed the main stand at Ibrox the Mike Ashley stand, I wouldn't be too upset.

CropleyWasGod
30-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't like to see it named the Tom Farmer stand. Don't like stands called after directors/owners who haven't made a contribution on the pitch. Mind you, if they renamed the main stand at Ibrox the Mike Ashley stand, I wouldn't be too upset.What did the Famous Five do, except go on jolly japes in the country and drink lashings and lashings of ginger beer?

PatHead
30-10-2018, 02:08 PM
What did the Famous Five do, except go on jolly japes in the country and drink lashings and lashings of ginger beer?

Solved dastardly crimes and looked after a dog.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 02:12 PM
What did the Famous Five do, except go on jolly japes in the country and drink lashings and lashings of ginger beer?

Won the League twice and if it wasn’t for them pesky Rangers ( goal average or goal difference) would have added a third :confused:

Hibs also won the League in 1948 but that was before Johnstone

PatHead
30-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Won the League twice and if it wasn’t for them pesky Rangers ( goal average or goal difference) would have added a third :confused:

Wrong famous five. Think CWG meant Enid Blyton’s mob.

Peevemor
30-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Solved dastardly crimes and looked after a dog.

The dog was a Tim. :agree:

lucky
30-10-2018, 02:21 PM

I agree with this. Time to honour STF. Turnbull’s Tornados were a great side but never won the holy grail or league. Time for Hero’s are still playing and most for other teams so it’s too soon.

But would people accept the stadium name being change to a corporate backer?

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Wrong famous five. Think CWG meant Enid Blyton’s mob.
I need to go and lie in a dark room for 24 hours.
I am getting stressed reading about my fellow posters getting stressed about the upcoming Derby.
My stress levels are at the max.
I wonder how Lenny and the players are feeling just now?
I wonder if the players know the team?
I wonder if Lenny knows the team?
I wonder if they are getting stressed?
I need to lie down :confused:

Will have some ginger beer and cucumber sandwiches first :greengrin

PatHead
30-10-2018, 02:28 PM
I need to go and lie in a dark room for 24 hours.
I am getting stressed reading about my fellow posters getting stressed about the upcoming Derby.
My stress levels are at the max.
I wonder how Lenny and the players are feeling just now?
I wonder if the players know the team?
I wonder if Lenny knows the team?
I wonder if they are getting stressed?
I need to lie down :confused:

Will have some ginger beer and cucumber sandwiches first :greengrin

Go and read a good book. 😂

CropleyWasGod
30-10-2018, 02:30 PM

Even in my fevered imaginings, I didn't expect anyone to bite. :top marks

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Even in my fevered imaginings, I didn't expect anyone to bite. :top marks

Did wonder what you were on about with F5?

Did not not expect to find a fellow Enid Blyton fan on here.

Did you know that George was actually a girl?

Every days a school day on HIBS.net

You got me hook line and sinker

Cmon the HIBS

CropleyWasGod
30-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Did wonder what you were on about with F5?

Did not not expect to find a fellow Enid Blyton fan on here.

Did you know that George was actually a girl?

Every days a school day on HIBS.net

You got me hook line and sinker

Cmon the HIBS

Awww, ****, no.....

That does explain a lot, though. :embarrass

Iggy Pope
30-10-2018, 03:06 PM
Awww, ****, no.....

That does explain a lot, though. :embarrass

She was tidy though.

Sergey
30-10-2018, 03:20 PM
The Conrad Logan Pie Stands get my vote.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 03:23 PM
She was tidy though.

:confused:

A bit tomboyish!

I am thinking mair Daphne ( Scooby Doo) or Maggie fae The Broons :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
30-10-2018, 03:29 PM
She was tidy though.

Tidy doesn't cut it for me.... has to be messi, all the time.

Iggy Pope
30-10-2018, 03:35 PM

A bit tomboyish!

George was tidier than Scooby Daphne FFS.
Maggie Broon on the other hand was awful skinny. The other Broon, Daphne, looked far more game.

Wouldn’t want a stand named after any of them though, but they could’ve had a fledgling stiffie named in their honour.

Greenbeard
30-10-2018, 03:35 PM

A bit tomboyish!

Why not Daphne Broon Billy? Daphne Wood, Maggie Woodnae.

AZhibee
30-10-2018, 04:19 PM
The Conrad Logan Pie Stands get my vote.

Fire extinguishers named in honor of Stokes.

heretoday
30-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Call it the Leith Stand.

Enough of this gesture crap.

PatHead
30-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Call it the Leith Stand.

It is not a gesture, it is an acknowledgement of Sir Tom saving the club and building it into the club we have today.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Why not Daphne Broon Billy? Daphne Wood, Maggie Woodnae.
Starting to think Jessica Rabbit heard she goes like a bunny 💚

Smartie
30-10-2018, 07:16 PM
Call it the Leith Stand.

I preferred Mary Berry though.

Jones28
30-10-2018, 08:02 PM
Call it the Leith Stand.

The guy literally saved the club from almost certain death. It's not a token gesture, it's a thank you.

The Godfather
30-10-2018, 08:40 PM
I would like to think that within a few years we would look back at our one club man Lewis Stevenson and give him the same accolade's with him being a double cup winner (only one ever for Hibs). Also, I think he will lift another for Hibs GGTTH

superfurryhibby
30-10-2018, 09:09 PM
The guy literally saved the club from almost certain death. It's not a token gesture, it's a thank you.

Sir Tom Farmer, not Saint Tom Farmer. Hibs would have carried on with or without him, one way ir another.

STF has had quite a chequered ownership of Hibs. Relegated twice, three cup wins. Racked up massive debt several times, been mediocre for much of it too. I suspect the Hibs Net view isn’t quite as unanimous amongst thw wider support.

Smartie
30-10-2018, 09:35 PM
Sir Tom Farmer, not Saint Tom Farmer. Hibs would have carried on with or without him, one way ir another.

STF has had quite a chequered ownership of Hibs. Relegated twice, three cup wins. Racked up massive debt several times, been mediocre for much of it too. I suspect the Hibs Net view isn’t quite as unanimous amongst thw wider support.

They might not though.

Any club owner will have a chequered reign idf they stay at it long enough. Farmer can't hide from our darker hours, but whenever I'm starting to get a bit humpty about Tom farmer I remember the Hibs that I started going to see in the early 90s - ramshackle stadium badly in need of being brought up to date, teams that had their ups and downs (like every team throughout our history) and with the real, clear and present threat of going under (and in the case of Mercer, in the most unthinkable way possible).

Look at where we are now, and look at some of the other clubs who have stumbled whilst we have been fairly stable.

The Hibs support will, as ever, be a mixed bag when it comes to Farmer. But I don't mind betting that when I'm at his age, we'll be talking very fondly of the relatively stable time we had when he was our owner.

A bit of gratitude and perspective is needed.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Toilet blocks - the golden gen... no wait!

Viva_Palmeiras
31-10-2018, 12:17 AM

Racking up debt several times trying to clarify these - as in the building of the stands? Longterm liability = asset.

POr dare I say chasing sporting the money from Setanta/On-digital - well everyone else kinda counted on it too.

Jones28
31-10-2018, 07:46 AM

Hibs may have carried on without him, but at the clubs darkest hour he stepped in to guarantee they would.

He has also overseen total stadium redevelopment, restructuring of finances to ensure the clubs long-term stability, construction of our very own training facility and, of course,winning the Scottish cup.

Are you so blinkered that you can't see the good he has done?

Eaststand
31-10-2018, 08:04 AM
Would have no problem with a stand being named after Sir Tom Farmer. A man that came to our rescue in our darkest hour and has since given generously to this club. The man has given to the club far more than people realise.

The club and the fans should be eternally grateful to him for what he's done for us. :not worth

I agree with this 100%

GGTTH

My_Wife_Camille
31-10-2018, 08:08 AM

Not sure I could disagree with this anymore. Sir Tom Farmer is up there with the most important people in the clubs history. It's thanks to him that anybody under the age of about 30 still has this club to support.

We could have sat at the bottom of League 2 for the last 30 years and I'd still think just as much of him.

DarlingtonHibee
31-10-2018, 08:10 AM

Are you having a laugh?

We would have survived but not the club we are now.

Stf has backed the club for 27 years, his influence got us back on track.

BILLYHIBS
31-10-2018, 08:53 AM

I do not think the full facts have come out about how much time and money STF has given to our club and to the local community as a whole.
He is our benefactor our White Knight in shining armour when all other Knights were galloping off in the opposite direction after the Duff Gray era.
He is a modest guy and the last thing he would want to accept is any credit for the miracle he has performed.
When Dougie Crombe and Kenny McLean turned up at his house asking him begging him to help he had no interest in football and it is to his eternal credit he put his hand in his pocket and would not let our club die
Yes we might have survived but it might have been back to putting down the jerseys at the meadows being watched by two men and a dug.
It’s the STF West Stand for me.
God bless Sir Tom Farmer and his family we should be eternally grateful

SirDavidsNapper
31-10-2018, 09:01 AM
I do not think the full facts have come out about how much time and money STF has given to our club and to the local community as a whole.
He is our benefactor our White Knight in shining armour when all other Knights were galloping off in the opposite direction after the Duff Gray era.
He is a modest guy and the last thing he would want to accept is any credit for the miracle he has performed.
When Dougie Crombe and Kenny McLean turned up at his house asking him begging him to help he had no interest in football and it is to his eternal credit he put his hand in his pocket and would not let our club die
Yes we might have survived but it might have been back to putting down the jerseys at the meadows being watched by two men and a dug.

:top marks

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Sensible words, esp from a pailmerk. :wink:
So who comes first in your book? Tom or Harry? (No jokes please about where's Dick?)
Do you not think there is already some recognition for Harry and all he did for the club in the naming of the Famous Five stand? To me that recognition is not just about the five individuals; it is about everyone involved with the club in that era.

Ha ha … to be fair I'm only an honourary pailmerk :greengrin

As for who comes first between STF and Harry Swan …. Its a really tough one, but if pressed I would have to go for STF, but only because Harry Swan was before my time, for different reasons they have both made huge contributions to the history of the club.

NAE NOOKIE
31-10-2018, 10:33 AM

AFAIK the only time Hibs have racked up significant debt on the field was in building the McLeish era side. In actual fact the biggest criticism of STF over his time as owner has been his reluctance to spend his own money on the team, especially when it might have made the difference between survival and relegation, one of his most vocal critics being me. For the most part Hibs have accumulated debt through various loans and mortgages building the stadium and training centre.

But that doesn't mean STF's legacy can be viewed as anything other than hugely positive for the club … Yes Hibs would have carried on, but its highly unlikely we would have carried on as a top flight football club with a modern stadium and a state of the art training centre. And lets not forget without STF the chances that Mercer's merged Edinburgh club would have been a goer would have been much higher, with Easter Road sold from under us leaving any fledgling new Hibs looking for somewhere to play, probably outside of Leith.

The other thing to consider is that nearly 30 years down the line if Mercer's plan had come to fruition and his Edinburgh United ( or Hearts as they would have been called ) had indeed provided the challenge to the Old Firm dominance he was aiming for where would that have left new Hibs as the local kids without an emotional attachment to the old club decided to follow success? STF maybe didn't save Hibs from total extinction, but IMO he saved us from becoming Edinburgh's equivalent of Notts County or Partick Thistle or worse.

STF's contribution to Hibs and his importance to us in historical terms simply cant be overplayed.

DarlingtonHibee
31-10-2018, 10:45 AM

This, some people just don't get what he did for us