PDA

View Full Version : Open Goal Gary Caldwell

Frazerbob
29-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Another new episode available. Great watch, lots of Hibs content and GC comes across very well. I have a lot of time for him, great professional and seems to have a great footballing philosophy. I hope he does well at Thistle....potential Hibs manager?

BoomtownHibees
29-10-2018, 09:14 PM
Another new episode available. Great watch, lots of Hibs content and GC comes across very well. I have a lot of time for him, great professional and seems to have a great footballing philosophy. I hope he does well at Thistle....potential Hibs manager?

No if the start to his Partick days are anything to go by. Very early days mind you

dp00
29-10-2018, 09:15 PM
I actually thought Scotland should have took chance with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
29-10-2018, 09:18 PM
****. Hated by the good guys and thought he was too good for us. His brother though is sound as.

James310
29-10-2018, 09:20 PM
If it never leaked about his pre contract at Celtic then he may well of been thought of better by us.

Although I am sure when he did play against us he was quick to wind us up, but I suppose we would have been dishing it out.

hibee
29-10-2018, 09:28 PM
I read that title as Own Goal Gary Caldwell and thought not again!

The 90+2
29-10-2018, 09:28 PM
If it never leaked about his pre contract at Celtic then he may well of been thought of better by us.

Although I am sure when he did play against us he was quick to wind us up, but I suppose we would have been dishing it out.

He’s an ******** not liked by a lot of hibs players. Then there was him cheating on his wife who just had given birth. Caldwell is a snake.

The 90+2
29-10-2018, 09:29 PM
I read that title as Own Goal Gary Caldwell and thought not again!

😃

James310
29-10-2018, 09:33 PM
He’s an ******** not liked by a lot of hibs players. Then there was him cheating on his wife who just had given birth. Caldwell is a snake.

True, with a Rangers cheerleader as well!

jacomo
29-10-2018, 09:36 PM

He always acted like he was doing us a favour by wearing the Hibs shirt and showed little consideration once he’d left.

I wish him well but tbh I don’t really care that much. No desire to see him return to Hibs in the future.

hibsdaft
29-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Always remember him making a huge error down towards the famous five/ east stand corner which led to us conceding a goal. he then turned to the left back, who'd passed it to him, a young lad just making his way into the team (Stevenson perhaps?) and gave him pelters, when it was really himself to blame.

I thought that said a lot about him.

Frazerbob
29-10-2018, 09:54 PM
Well this thread is working out well 😂

Give it a watch, proper football man, speaks very well.

My_Wife_Camille
29-10-2018, 10:00 PM

I always liked Caldwell. Thought he was criminally underrated by Hibs fans at the time and even more so now.

A lot of people didn’t like that he signed a pre contract with Celtic but imo at least he was open about it from the start and didn’t bull**** the fans by pretending he might stay like others have done in the past.

hibee
29-10-2018, 10:02 PM
Well this thread is working out well [emoji23]

What is it, where do I watch it?

Frazerbob
29-10-2018, 10:04 PM
I always liked Caldwell. Thought he was criminally underrated by Hibs fans at the time and even more so now.

A lot of people didn’t like that he signed a pre contract with Celtic but imo at least he was open about it from the start and didn’t bull**** the fans by pretending he might stay like others have done in the past.

My thoughts are similar. I always compared his exit to Ian Murray, who kept claiming he was ‘keeping his options open’ when he was always going to Rangers. The booing of Caldwell against Aberdeen was far from Hibs class. Great player for us and Scotland. Dedicated and focused professional. I would be much happier with him at the Scotland helm than McLeish.

Frazerbob
29-10-2018, 10:05 PM
What is it, where do I watch it?

https://youtu.be/HQkDRcNTK68

Smartie
29-10-2018, 10:21 PM

I never liked him that much and never really rated him, and the fact that he obviously really rated himself compounded it.

He wouldn't trouble the top 10 of my favourite centre-halves to have played for Hibs.

I always thought he was an unintelligent player who would be forced to make heroic looking tackles to make up for the fact that his positional sense was poor.

Had a good career though, plenty of Scotland caps, honours at Celtc and some big wages down South.

I'm sure he couldn't care less what I think.

I'll watch this later, these shows are really good and having seen a lot of him throughout his career I'm interested in what he has to say.

Green Man
29-10-2018, 10:27 PM
Always remember him making a huge error down towards the famous five/ east stand corner which led to us conceding a goal. he then turned to the left back, who'd passed it to him, a young lad just making his way into the team (Stevenson perhaps?) and gave him pelters, when it was really himself to blame.

I thought that said a lot about him.

I think that was the game after his pre contract was announced. He was getting pelters from the start and made a couple of bad mistakes.

Argylehibby
29-10-2018, 10:35 PM
My thoughts are similar. I always compared his exit to Ian Murray, who kept claiming he was ‘keeping his options open’ when he was always going to Rangers. The booing of Caldwell against Aberdeen was far from Hibs class. Great player for us and Scotland. Dedicated and focused professional. I would be much happier with him at the Scotland helm than McLeish.

:agree: we criticised Murray (rightly) for his lies about keeping his options open when he'd already committed to join old Rangers. Caldwell then is open and honest and gets booed as soon as he comes on the pitch.

Ryan69
30-10-2018, 06:51 AM

Id prefer Engelbert Humperdink to Judas...Tobe fair.

Beefster
30-10-2018, 07:03 AM
I don’t mind Caldwell. Was a decent defender (most of us were delighted when he came back permanently). Bear him no ill whatsoever.

As others have said, at least he was open about signing the pre-contract. I hated him being booed in the Aberdeen game.

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2018, 07:17 AM
I never liked him that much and never really rated him, and the fact that he obviously really rated himself compounded it.

He wouldn't trouble the top 10 of my favourite centre-halves to have played for Hibs.

I always thought he was an unintelligent player who would be forced to make heroic looking tackles to make up for the fact that his positional sense was poor.

Had a good career though, plenty of Scotland caps, honours at Celtc and some big wages down South.

I'll watch this later, these shows are really good and having seen a lot of him throughout his career I'm interested in what he has to say.

Though he was too good for Hibs and tried to play himself out from the back or make high risk passes. Put us in a lot of trouble defensively.

JimBHibees
30-10-2018, 07:32 AM

Always quite liked him and speaks well. As per his pre contract with Celtic at least he was honest about it unlike some others. His managerial career looks a bit rocky up till now though hope he does well at Thistle.

JimBHibees
30-10-2018, 07:33 AM
****. Hated by the good guys and thought he was too good for us. His brother though is sound as.

Who were the good guys?

JimBHibees
30-10-2018, 07:34 AM

Agree with that.

IGRIGI
30-10-2018, 07:37 AM
Calamity Legohead Caldwell can get ****ed.

That's my input.

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 07:41 AM
Though he was too good for Hibs and tried to play himself out from the back or make high risk passes. Put us in a lot of trouble defensively.

Eh? There is no one man too good for HIBS. As another poster has pointed out he would not make the top ten of all time great HIBS centre half’s. HIBS done him a big favour by resurrecting his career and fair enough he was a good solid centre half albeit error prone and got back into the Scotland set up. How did he repay us? By taking the thirty pieces of silver and joining the smellies.

Whats it like to **** a Hun?

Does this post make me a good guy or a bad guy? :greengrin

GreenArmyyy!
30-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Not interested in Caldwell, pretty sure he scored for Celtic against us at ER then proceeded to run half the length of the terracing cupping his ears to us. He can do one.

Frazerbob
30-10-2018, 08:18 AM
Not interested in Caldwell, pretty sure he scored for Celtic against us at ER then proceeded to run half the length of the terracing cupping his ears to us. He can do one.

He did, a heinous crime after getting dogs abuse up until that point. Didn’t Murray give us the middle finger at Ibrox? He seemed to be forgiven.....it’s all part of the fun isn’t it?

BILLYHIBS
30-10-2018, 08:21 AM
He did, a heinous crime after getting dogs abuse up until that point. Didn’t Murray give us the middle finger at Ibrox? He seemed to be forgiven.....it’s all part of the fun isn’t it?

Kevin Thomson :rolleyes:

My_Wife_Camille
30-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Exactly. If Caldwell goes on to become a successful manager in a few years and ends up at Hibs he'll be forgiven quickly enough.

Big_Franck
30-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Calamity Legohead Caldwell can get ****ed.

That's my input.

I second this. Had no time for him as a Hibs player, came across as an arrogant cant who thought he was above us. Wasn't anywhere as good as he seemed to think he was either. Wouldn't want him anywhere near Hibs in future.

hibsbollah
30-10-2018, 09:25 AM
I dont know about his character but I thought he was massively error prone for us. His Scotland call ups and moves down South baffled me, especially when better centrebacks (Rob Jones, Sol Bamba, even Kouo-Doumbe) got labelled as bombscares from time to time with less justification.

Bostonhibby
30-10-2018, 11:14 AM
I thought his name was caldwellog it came up that often on final score.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

California-Hibs
30-10-2018, 12:32 PM
He was a very good player for us and anyone who thinks differently is wrong. End of story.

FilipinoHibs
30-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Eh? There is no one man too good for HIBS. As another poster has pointed out he would not make the top ten of all time great HIBS centre half’s. HIBS done him a big favour by resurrecting his career and fair enough he was a good solid centre half albeit error prone and got back into the Scotland set up. How did he repay us? By taking the thirty pieces of silver and joining the smellies.

Whats it like to **** a Hun?

Does this post make me a good guy or a bad guy? :greengrin

Hey keyboard warrior I missed out the t in thought but if you you took time to read the rest of the post then you might have worked that out.

The 90+2
30-10-2018, 01:21 PM
He was a very good player for us and anyone who thinks differently is wrong. End of story.

He was a calamity who thought he was above us.

He was decent on loan under Bobby mind you, pled in CM. Sure he scored a peach of a free kick against Motherwell. Maybe even 2, one away to help get us into Europe 2-0 down also (Konte on his arse game)

Hiber-nation
30-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Yep, some strange comments on here about Caldwell as usual. For the most part he was excellent for us. Some folk have very short memories.

KWJ
30-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Most fan dividing player? :greengrin

I think Caldwell did think he was above us and his career pretty much shows that he was right.

Riordan's interview talks about him being an absolute mare to train against but he goes onto say that they were friends.

He was one of those player that even as a teenager you knew he was going to be a manager and he didn't seem to fall into the lad mentality of that golden generation.

A young player for us that developed by playing games in what was a pretty suspect defense and keeper.

No issues with him from me, wish him well and thank him for his goal v Motherwell to start the Euro comeback as well as his goal v France. Look forward to watching the interview, great to get more Hibs content.

For the record it was Murray who gave the Hibs fans the finger and it took me a lot longer to forgive him but he's apologised for it plenty.

silverhibee
30-10-2018, 02:13 PM

What players didn't like him.

JimBHibees
30-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Yep, some strange comments on here about Caldwell as usual. For the most part he was excellent for us. Some folk have very short memories.

Agree a very good player for Hibs and a good captain also.

silverhibee
30-10-2018, 02:20 PM
These interviews give you a good wee insight in to how players think, the cringiest so far has to be Barry Robson, running to his manager to grass on one of his team mates, his managers response to it would suggest that he liked to play his players against them to have a nasty edge to them.

The 90+2
30-10-2018, 04:27 PM
What players didn't like him.

Boozy to start with. Big Gaz hated him too but that doesn’t count.

The 90+2
30-10-2018, 04:29 PM
Agree a very good player for Hibs and a good captain also.

He wasn’t a good captain at all. He cared about himself not his team. End of it for me though as I don’t want to have bad karma before tomorrow night.

JimBHibees
30-10-2018, 04:30 PM
He wasn’t a good captain at all. He cared about himself not his team. End of it for me though as I don’t want to have bad karma before tomorrow night.

Can remember a few games he drove the team on, a comeback win v Killie for example.

scotiaf
30-10-2018, 04:58 PM
He was a good player that most ex teammates speak well about. Not sure we can blame anyone who left Hibs to join a team paying 4 x there wages. It’s a business and it’s part of life. Good defender who was a little clumsy but could ping a decent pass

TelaStella
30-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Can’t say I’ve ever held him in high regards tbh and the interview did little to change my opinion. Whilst I admire his hunger and determination to of been a top player he admitted himself prior to coming back up the road to us he’d done absolute nout everywhere else and it was really hibs and Mowbray who saved his career. Never seemed to have anytime for the fans and as a captain seemed to always have a severe lack of interest in the club. His bit on the Games vs hearts was just embarrassing. Asked if he enjoyed the derby and what it’s like compared to say the old firm his response was “nah didn’t enjoy them because we always seemed to get beat” just the answer of an uninterested p**** tbh. People are saying he was always open and honest about his pre contract move, he wasn’t for what I recall? It was leaked to the papers. Ultimately his celebrations when he came back and scored in front of the East will always stick with me though funnily we ended up beating them that day! Wish him all the best nonetheless but really my opinion of him is just a big naaah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 07:08 AM
Apart from his recent unwanted and unmerited criticism of Neil Lennon this interview still remains an interesting and entertaining watch.

Regardless of what many may think of him on here he has a lot of nice things to say about HIBS he has had an interesting career played for many clubs and has lots of funny stories to tell.

He actually comes across well for a prick!

One interesting anecdote :he used to sit beside Neil Lennon in the Celtic changing room.

Well worth a watch highly entertaining

:tub4:

JimBHibees
02-11-2018, 07:12 AM
Apart from his recent unwanted and unmerited criticism of Neil Lennon this interview still remains an interesting and entertaining watch.

Regardless of what many may think of him on here he has a lot of nice things to say about HIBS he has had an interesting career played for many clubs and has lots of funny stories to tell.

He actually comes across well for a prick!

One interesting anecdote :he used to sit beside Neil Lennon in the Celtic changing room.

Well worth a watch highly entertaining

:tub4:

Agree comes over well and obviously intelligent well worth a listen.

DetroitHibs
02-11-2018, 07:38 AM
Listened to the whole thing. Reading between the lines, he's motivated purely by money and has zero loyalty. Talks about how good Strachan was for him, but bails on signing for him at the last minute for a few quid more. I'm sure at that stage in his career he was probably set for life and getting a good wage offered from Strachan.

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Listened to the whole thing. Reading between the lines, he's motivated purely by money and has zero loyalty. Talks about how good Strachan was for him, but bails on signing for him at the last minute for a few quid more. I'm sure at that stage in his career he was probably set for life and getting a good wage offered from Strachan.
:thumbsup:

JimBHibees
02-11-2018, 07:53 AM

I think that is harsh. He spoke of a life changing offer from Wigan so much more than a few quid and most if not all professional players would do the same.

BILLYHIBS
02-11-2018, 08:01 AM
I think that is harsh. He spoke of a life changing offer from Wigan so much more than a few quid and most if not all professional players would do the same.

SPOILER ALERT!

Agree but loyalty right oot the windae. Strachan had the correct response “ See ya! “

He was also happy to re-sign for Celtic the night before but the Club Secretary had gone home for the night.

The Wigan Manager phoned his Agent first thing the following morning.

He later apologised to Strachan for his behaviour and has learned a lesson as a Manager no matter what get the player to sign on the dotted line while they are in the building.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Playing for us was the kick start to his career so we were good for him. The booing after he signed a pre for Celtc was frustration and disappointment rather than nastiness. His reaction to scoring in the 3-2 game, along with Boruc's antics made that game better not worse.

Smartie
02-11-2018, 11:09 AM
He got something like £40k per week at Wigan.

You don't turn that sort of money down, and you don't really care what people think of you for making that decision.

Much as I wasn't a huge Caldwell fan, I would never be holding that one against him.

JimBHibees
02-11-2018, 11:26 AM
He got something like £40k per week at Wigan.

You don't turn that sort of money down, and you don't really care what people think of you for making that decision.

Much as I wasn't a huge Caldwell fan, I would never be holding that one against him.

Agree no way he could possibly turn that down. Must have thought all his christmases had arrived at once.

Actually made the most of his ability IMO.

One Day Soon
02-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Disliked him when he was with us and even more so for the manner of leaving and subsequent behaviour.

Though he was hugely over rated at the time and his fairly obvious lack of real engagement with the club and supporters stood out for me.

Future Hibs manager? Eh, no thanks.

Brizo
02-11-2018, 12:46 PM

:agree:

I thought he was arrogance personified but without the ability to back it up.

He obviously thought he was a ball player but his distribution was woeful.

Obviously plenty others thought different :greengrin and he had a very successful career.

Never struck me as a particularly likeable character, management will test any people skills he has.

Stokesy's on fire
02-11-2018, 12:51 PM

he did just that and some Hibees seem to hold it against him. We gave him pelters and he gave us the middle finger and to be fair the minute he done that he proved that we had noised him up that day :na na: ONE IAN MURRAY!

renato
02-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Ah, the taxi hailer. Loved a beckenbauer (in his head) pass.

Hiber-nation
03-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Pumped 5-1 by Morton today. He has an absolutely dreadful managerial record.

Saturday Boy
03-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Pumped 5-1 by Morton today. He has an absolutely dreadful managerial record.

No sympathy. He’s brought it on himself 😉