PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever deliberately avoid all contact with a game to enjoy your day more?

G B Young
29-10-2018, 12:04 PM
The older I get the less football I watch and I sometimes feel I invested too much emotion in it when I was younger. My love for Hibs is too deep-rooted ever to fade but the accompanying loathing of the yams that goes with it is something I could quite honestly do without. It irritates me that their results can impact on my frame of mind - especially when it's a big game for them like yesterday.

To that end I decided I didn't want to waste a beautiful autumn day keeping tabs on the score, let alone watching the game, so it was a case of switching the phone off and heading off for an afternoon in the Pentlands with the dog and family. I figured that if I later found out Hearts had won then at least I'd had a good day on my own terms, while if I found out that Celtic had won then it would top off an already enjoyable afternoon. Of course, even in those spectacular surroundings you do wonder if you might bump into somebody you know who is checking in on the game, and you even start to think you can hear singing from Murrayfield drifting your way on the wind!

Overall, though, it was a quite glorious afternoon for a walk, I was genuinely able to free my mind from football for significant spells, and we didn't get home until a good hour after the game finished. Having spotted a green and white scarf fluttering from a car window en route home I was already quietly confident that the day would be brought to a happy conclusion and this was confirmed when a check of the phone revealed a good old fashioned thumping from Celtic for the yams :greengrin

The 90+2
29-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Footballs always on my mind unfortunately. Even with the children at Blackpool I was checking our result then new hun v baby hun next again day. As Hibs hit the third against HamiltonI was fine and decided to do the big one and the new radge rides that go upside down with my 11 year old who was less frightened than me 😁

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Never mind the Yams I have often been tempted to miss a Hibs away game if its on the radio or TV and just wait for the result … I'll be at my mates or in the pub on Wednesday to watch the derby and in all honesty I sometimes feel like I could do without the emotional wringer I will no doubt be put through :greengrin

Eyrie
29-10-2018, 12:23 PM
I'd only avoid all contact with a game if I've recorded it to watch later.

Otherwise I'd be checking the score a couple of times as it only takes a few seconds and a quick check is less disruptive for whatever I'm doing than being distracted by worrying about Hibs.

The 90+2
29-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Otherwise I'd be checking the score a couple of times as it only takes a few seconds and a quick check is less disruptive for whatever I'm doing than being distracted by worrying about Hibs.

Even games I set up to record I then check to see if it’s worth it. I learned that lesson after our Scottish cup final when I went to bed only to get up the next day to watch the worst match ever concluding Chelsea winning the champions league to make the day before even worse. Off went the lights again for a couple of days.

Phil MaGlass
29-10-2018, 12:33 PM
When I am on holiday I normally leave my mobile in hotel safe, mostly as I dont wish to be bombed with useless watsapps, but also to avoid the fitba from ruining my day.

Smartie
29-10-2018, 12:34 PM
The older I get the less football I watch and I sometimes feel I invested too much emotion in it when I was younger. My love for Hibs is too deep-rooted ever to fade but the accompanying loathing of the yams that goes with it is something I could quite honestly do without. It irritates me that their results can impact on my frame of mind - especially when it's a big game for them like yesterday.

To that end I decided I didn't want to waste a beautiful autumn day keeping tabs on the score, let alone watching the game, so it was a case of switching the phone off and heading off for an afternoon in the Pentlands with the dog and family. I figured that if I later found out Hearts had won then at least I'd had a good day on my own terms, while if I found out that Celtic had won then it would top off an already enjoyable afternoon. Of course, even in those spectacular surroundings you do wonder if you might bump into somebody you know who is checking in on the game, and you even start to think you can hear singing from Murrayfield drifting your way on the wind!

Overall, though, it was a quite glorious afternoon for a walk, I was genuinely able to free my mind from football for significant spells, and we didn't get home until a good hour after the game finished. Having spotted a green and white scarf fluttering from a car window en route home I was already quietly confident that the day would be brought to a happy conclusion and this was confirmed when a check of the phone revealed a good old fashioned thumping from Celtic for the yams :greengrin

You've got to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth.

I hadn't intended to watch the game yesterday but switched it on at half time - and was quickly hooked.

Obviously watching Hibs win is the best, but watching a Hearts side (who have been talked up no end) capitulate meekly in a game they didn't even appear to be trying to win was a thing of beauty and cheered me up no end on a Hibsless weekend.

If the game had gone the other way and deteriorated into a scarf-twirling sister-pumping extravaganza, I could easily have switched it off and done something else.

Jamesie
29-10-2018, 12:47 PM

I feel a bit like that too sometimes - I spent a significant proportion of my early to mid 20s watching anything and everything Hibs, home and away and including reserve games. It also was around the same time when I was working on a voluntary basis for hibs.net in doing interviews with players, attending press conferences etc and thereafter for the official website. All good fun, but I sometimes think it meant I missed out on other life experiences.

Fast forward to my early to mid 30s and I flipped entirely - no season ticket and very little attendance at Easter Road for a few seasons, in part driven by a long term relationship with a Glaswegian which meant every other weekend was spent through there with her and my attendance at games became few and far between.

Back to the current day and with that relationship over, I have a season ticket and attend the odd away fixture but try to take it in moderation. I wouldn't like to get to my 60s or 70s and find that football was the only thing in my life - not that I'm knocking anyone for whom that is the case, but as a matter of personal preference not for me.

G B Young
29-10-2018, 01:52 PM

I hadn't intended to watch the game yesterday but switched it on at half time - and was quickly hooked.

Obviously watching Hibs win is the best, but watching a Hearts side (who have been talked up no end) capitulate meekly in a game they didn't even appear to be trying to win was a thing of beauty and cheered me up no end on a Hibsless weekend.

If the game had gone the other way and deteriorated into a scarf-twirling sister-pumping extravaganza, I could easily have switched it off and done something else.

That's where I differ. If I'd checked the score and seen that the yams were winning it would have significantly shifted my frame of mind and thus impacted on my enjoyment of what I was doing. Not knowing is vastly preferable to that. Yes, you might still have to face the grim truth later on but if that had turned out to be the case, then only a short part of my day would have been soured.

Spike Mandela
29-10-2018, 01:57 PM

Yip that’s exactly what I do.

Drove through to Glasgow listening to my music when game was on. Checked into hotel, had a wee drink then checked the final score with relieved amusement. Got ready to go out then checked Rangers score and even more amusement. 😂Then a meal and onto see Kevin Bridges.

Perfect day.

lyonhibs
29-10-2018, 02:06 PM
Not any Hibs game of course, but I couldn't give a fig about any other Scottish game, unless it's linked to a social occasion with mates down the pub or has a massive and direct impact on Hibs' outcomes/final league position.

I watched yesterday for the Murrayfield novelty factor but happily turned it off after 60 minutes to go down the pub for El Classico and the Man U game.

G B Young
29-10-2018, 02:07 PM
I feel a bit like that too sometimes - I spent a significant proportion of my early to mid 20s watching anything and everything Hibs, home and away and including reserve games. It also was around the same time when I was working on a voluntary basis for hibs.net in doing interviews with players, attending press conferences etc and thereafter for the official website. All good fun, but I sometimes think it meant I missed out on other life experiences.

Fast forward to my early to mid 30s and I flipped entirely - no season ticket and very little attendance at Easter Road for a few seasons, in part driven by a long term relationship with a Glaswegian which meant every other weekend was spent through there with her and my attendance at games became few and far between.

Back to the current day and with that relationship over, I have a season ticket and attend the odd away fixture but try to take it in moderation. I wouldn't like to get to my 60s or 70s and find that football was the only thing in my life - not that I'm knocking anyone for whom that is the case, but as a matter of personal preference not for me.

Ah yes, all that time we could have spent broadening our minds or playing sport instead of devoting our lives to football and drinking...

There have been times in my life when I've been living or working a long way from Edinburgh and I can recall pre-mobile/internet times when I'd find myself hanging around outside a high street electrical shop in a faraway town or city on a Saturday afternoon watching the Grandstand 'vidiprinter' on a TV in the window, waiting for the Hibs score to pop up! I wasn't the only bloke doing so either, although everyone was usually watching out for different teams.

I'm a lot less desperate to find out the Hibs score these days, but the impact of a defeat remains powerful enough to sour my frame of mind for a good long time which is deeply frustrating. I sometimes wonder how much more healthy it would be if I could have cultivated a kind of 'distant' support for Hibs...an ability to check the score, shrug my shoulders if we've lost and simply get on with the rest of my day.

bingo70
29-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Not any Hibs game of course, but I couldn't give a fig about any other Scottish game, unless it's linked to a social occasion with mates down the pub or has a massive and direct impact on Hibs' outcomes/final league position.

I watched yesterday for the Murrayfield novelty factor but happily turned it off after 60 minutes to go down the pub for El Classico and the Man U game.

I'm the opposite.

I care less and less about other football and only care about Scottish football now.

As for the OP i don't think i deliberately put distance between myself and any football however after a scare before my boy was born i don't care anywhere near the level i used to about Hibs/Hearts. If we lose on Wednesday night i'll be over it within minutes where as it used to bother me for days.

I think there's various factors that can put a bit perspective on a game of football, i'd obviously much rather have not had the scare we did before my boy was born however i think having a better perspective of how much it actually really means is healthier.

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2018, 02:29 PM

Since nobody else is stepping up to the plate I will and unreservedly comend you on that sentence of beauty: “If the game had gone the other way...”

YanYansen
29-10-2018, 02:31 PM
One thing I can't stand is watching Hibs on the telly - for some reason, when I'm at the game I'm a lot less uptight.

The last two games I had to watch in the pub was the Shaw ghost goal at the PBS and the second leg of the Falkirk play off. Both were horrific and seemed to last for years.

If I didnae have a ticket for Wednesday, I'd seriously consider not going to the pub to watch it. (But then after I'd considered it, I would anyway, and take another couple of years off my lifespan.)

29-10-2018, 02:36 PM
I enjoy watching hearts misery but in all honesty I don't obsess myself over them. I'm glad they lost yesterday but if they had won it really wouldn't be keeping me up at night.

Hibs are my club, hearts are no more than a side show. I wish them all the failure and misery, as all rivals wish on each other, but as I say thats merely an amusing side show, hibs are all I truly care about.

Here’s Lucy!
29-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Same.

Trouble is, as soon as you tell folk at work that you 'don't want to know the score' some Smart Alec finds a way of letting you know 'by mistake'!

Peevemor
29-10-2018, 07:24 PM
Yesterday afternoon I was doing bits and pieces around the house so it was easy enough to check on the semi scores every 10-15 minutes. Had I been out doing stuff with the family I might have checked once or twice but it wouldn't have been a priority.

Hibs on the other hand...

If I'm out and about I check the updates as often as possible. It's an obsession, especially during the bigger games.

Last Saturday afternoon I directed a band practice (there was about 25 people playing) with my mobile phone on my music stand "tuned" to the Hibs TV stream from Parkhead. At one point the stream dropped off and I had to refresh the page - they thought I was I was dicking about with my metronome. ;-)

heidtheba
29-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Ok,
After one season with a couple of tough results, I decided not to watch one of the more important games. I knew we'd lose. And in a horrible way.
We'd lost one game in the last minute and then the next most important game in the same way, with a dodgy ref decision thrown into the pot.
So one day I decided to just save myself the heartache and only tune in for the result. Unfortunately I couldn't take it anymore and caved in to see the last two minutes of the game.

Quite glad I did actually...SDG fired in a bullet header and we won the Scottish Cup...

I know. Even as a very lapsed Hibby I should hang my head in shame.

lyonhibs
29-10-2018, 08:20 PM
I'm the opposite.

I care less and less about other football and only care about Scottish football now.

As for the OP i don't think i deliberately put distance between myself and any football however after a scare before my boy was born i don't care anywhere near the level i used to about Hibs/Hearts. If we lose on Wednesday night i'll be over it within minutes where as it used to bother me for days.

I think there's various factors that can put a bit perspective on a game of football, i'd obviously much rather have not had the scare we did before my boy was born however i think having a better perspective of how much it actually really means is healthier.

To clarify, I also couldn't care less about other football, again unless I'm off watching it with mates who are somehow invested. As far as Scottish football goes, it's Hibs games or games that really influence Hibs towards the business end of the season.

Hi Heid Yin
29-10-2018, 08:36 PM
I'm the opposite.

Ditto.
I couldn't agree more

West lower
29-10-2018, 08:58 PM
I once spent an afternoon dodging the result of a certain game in 1986 from Dens Park. A jambo cousin of mine kept phoning my house every 2 minutes as the game progressed. I even went outside and spent an hour washing my car. I could hear the phone ringing every few minutes. This carried on until about 4.40. Then it went all quiet. No calls. Found out the result a few minutes later and tried to return the call. No answer all night. Thank you Sir Albert for making a wish come true.

G B Young
31-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Never mind the Yams I have often been tempted to miss a Hibs away game if its on the radio or TV and just wait for the result … I'll be at my mates or in the pub on Wednesday to watch the derby and in all honesty I sometimes feel like I could do without the emotional wringer I will no doubt be put through :greengrin

Derbies are the worst, no question. The world seems a happier place when we win but as you say it can be an emotional wringer to put yourself through. I recall being abroad on holiday in pre-mobile days and missing a derby. I decided not to phone home or try to find a British newspaper and just enjoy the holiday. Turned out we'd won 2-1 so that was a great pick-me-up after getting back to a rainy UK.

Keith_M
31-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Having made the trip from Germany to watch us lose yet another Cup Final, this time to Ross County, I was unable to get time off work and come over for the Scottish Cup final in 2016.

Having watched us snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against County, then lose out in that year's play-offs, I was convinced we were all set up to be cannon-fodder to a 'Rangers' team that would be announcing their 'return' to the big time with a glorious Scottish Cup victory. I'd kind of seen it all before.

So, as I wasn't going, I decided not to depress myself even further and didn't actually watch the final on TV either (I really was so convinced we'd blow it). My wife (having been told not to tell me the score so as not to ruin my weekend) finally told me we'd won, about an hour after the game had finished. I actually didn't believe her, till all the texts started pouring in from friends and family.

I have since watched it once or twice though :greengrin