PDA

View Full Version : Question Bobby Atherton

CropleyWasGod
28-10-2018, 01:03 PM
There was a discussion about him on here a wee while ago, but I can't find it. Anyone got a link to it?

My Dad reckons we're related to him, so I'm trying to find out what the link is.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Wakeyhibee
28-10-2018, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;5586636]There was a discussion about him on here a wee while ago, but I can't find it. Anyone got a link to it?

My Dad reckons we're related to him, so I'm trying to find out what the link is.

He is mentioned in the thread "Hibs players who played against Scotland" there is a bit of history on him in there if that's what you're looking for.

CropleyWasGod
28-10-2018, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;5586636]There was a discussion about him on here a wee while ago, but I can't find it. Anyone got a link to it?

He is mentioned in the thread "Hibs players who played against Scotland" there is a bit of history on him in there if that's what you're looking for.Cheers. I'll have a look.

If we are related, I'll sell autographs [emoji38]

Nakedmanoncrack
28-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Captain of the 1902 team, Welsh international.

CropleyWasGod
28-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Captain of the 1902 team, Welsh international.Ken.

I'm trying to work out how he would be in our family. My Dad says he was a cousin of my Granda, but I think he must have married into the family when he lived in Leith.

Bobby Moore
28-10-2018, 10:06 PM
I don’t know how to do links but if you google “Bobby Atherton Hibernian Historcal Trust” you should get a hit for a comprehensive article, including pictures, about Bobby’s career and life.
The article is by club historian Tom Wright and is excelent.

Hope you find it of interest.

CropleyWasGod
28-10-2018, 10:19 PM
I don’t know how to do links but if you google “Bobby Atherton Hibernian Historcal Trust” you should get a hit for a comprehensive article, including pictures, about Bobby’s career and life.
The article is by club historian Tom Wright and is excelent.

Hope you find it of interest.Cheers for that.

A very interesting piece. It says little about his family life, so I've emailed the HHT to see if they know anything.

I might need to do some sort of Registry search if not.

K Kay
28-10-2018, 11:52 PM
Hi CWG, I've found his wedding certificate but dont know how to post it on this, Im new here, lol. Only took a couple of minutes search on google tho.
I can tell you that he was married in Gisborough in the county of York to a woman named Margaret Jane Kirkonnell in 1904. He stayed in 117 Montgomery Street with his Mum who was a widow and his 3 siblings when he played for the Hibs. Go to a site called the great war forum. Good luck in search.

CropleyWasGod
29-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Hi CWG, I've found his wedding certificate but dont know how to post it on this, Im new here, lol. Only took a couple of minutes search on google tho.
I can tell you that he was married in Gisborough in the county of York to a woman named Margaret Jane Kirkonnell in 1904. He stayed in 117 Montgomery Street with his Mum who was a widow and his 3 siblings when he played for the Hibs. Go to a site called the great war forum. Good luck in search.Cheers for that. I'll check it out.

I'm beginning to think that the old bugger is havering [emoji16]

O'Rourke3
29-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Cheers for that. I'll check it out.

I'm beginning to think that the old bugger is havering [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkAre you sure he's your dad? [emoji23]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
29-10-2018, 09:13 AM
Are you sure he's your dad? [emoji23]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

If I can prove a havering tendency, he definitely is :greengrin

Peevemor
29-10-2018, 10:00 AM
It could be one of his "3 siblings" or even children (if he had any) that were part of your family.

I have a pal who, to listen to him, comes from an enormous family which isn't really the case.

For example he'll refer to his brother-in-law's brother-in-law's brother (his wife's brother's wife's husband's brother) as his brother-in-law. You'd need a brain similar Stephen Hawking's to get your head round his "cousins".

CropleyWasGod
30-10-2018, 09:04 AM
I can tell you that he was married in Gisborough in the county of York to a woman named Margaret Jane Kirkonnell in 1904. He stayed in 117 Montgomery Street with his Mum who was a widow and his 3 siblings when he played for the Hibs. Go to a site called the great war forum. Good luck in search.Another thought on this. Does the certificate show his wife's date and place of birth?

K Kay
30-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Another thought on this. Does the certificate show his wife's date and place of birth?

I've actually missed a C from her name in my post her surname is Kirkconnell. Sorry tho it doesnt only her age 19. Looks like shes from a place called Barnaby Moor, Eston near Redcar and Cleveland, he went to Middlesboro after Hibs so makes sense. If you type in on your browser: Bobby Atherton, SS Britannia, Great War Forum, you should find it. He was killed on this ship during the war, he was in the merchant navy. Interestingly his brother Tommy was also a pro footballer, was signed by Hibs but looks like he didn't play, interesting career tho and he is regarded as English which is a strange one much like the Baker boys. Easy find on Wiki, Tommy Atherton footballer. Good luck.